PM to join [The Training Grounds] Overpowered (The other Pycon Squires)

Nivel teaches the other two Pycon Squires about flux magic...shattered kneecaps to come.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Training Grounds] Overpowered (The other Pycon Squires)

Postby Archailist on May 27th, 2015, 5:59 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

He swore he could do it, if he tried.. but then Nivel cut in and he realized that it wasn't Flux after all. "Oh.. right." More than just squirrels then, if he was focusing all of his will into it. Why did they have to make magic so confusing like this? Perhaps he just wasn't thinking the same way as Nivel.. maybe someone had to be brought up in Pyconia to think the same way and learn all these magics and things. Every time he thought he had a grasp on what he needed to do, everything became vague again. He might as well be trying to direct smoke! Then again, maybe he had at least some parts correct. For the moment, any way. "So.. I need to take a squirrel in my leg and tell it to go to my arm." He needed to find the squirrel first.

If he took too many, he could only guess the same thing would happen as had to Ball. Like Nivel, he was quick to rush over and check whether he was alright. "Fancy that, one of your own punches hurts even more than anyone else's so far, huh?" One arm tried to hook underneath the smaller Pycon and drag him back up to his feet, while throwing off a confused glance to Nivel as she worked herself up.. then calmed back down just as quickly. Out of the three of them, she seemed the most anxious.. funny, she was supposedly the only one who actually knew what she was doing. "So Ball wasn't doing Flux either?" Close.. closer than Arch at least.

"I feel like there'd be less of a risk of us getting killed from Flux than a pack of wolves.. I'm not catching up here." Struggling to understand how he was supposed to make his willpower make better punches was more than his feeble little nexus could process - he needed a rest. Maybe a nap. "Don't know how close Ball is to punching through the walls but I think I'm gonna need some more time to.. think. Don't know about you but looking at things from a new angle doesn't just happen in a day for me." A pat on Ball's back and the squirrel walked off to sit with his back pressed against the opposite wall for a little grounding.

Squirrel conductors. Squirrels and acorns. Move a squirrel from the leg to the arm, she said. Where's the squirrel though? How big? More silly questions he didn't have an answer for. They're not real squirrels. It was supposed to be his djed, apparently. Wait, if the squirrels were djed, what were the acorns? Don't think she ever mentioned what those were. Not important anyway. Why? Stop being so childish. "Not trying to say that you're a bad teacher.. more like I'm just a bad student. Maybe we should actually talk with someone else who knows flux? Or.. something. Never had to learn magic before, so, forgive me if I'm struggling to come up with new ways to do it that don't involve imagining little squirrels and acorns."
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Nivel on June 11th, 2015, 4:42 am

Nivel’s breathing relaxed a bit but she was still very stressed, she closed off her visual receptors and took a few deep breaths to calm herself. It didn’t really make the mage feel any better and she was still second guessing everything she was doing. She knew she would might have to be a patron to a young squire if she became a full fledged mage knight, so she would have to be a good teacher. Composure was a very important part of teaching others, she couldn’t be panicking and letting stress get to her. Even if these two weren’t getting it as quickly as she had hoped she couldn’t take it personally, these two just had a different way of thinking that she had. They clearly caught on to weapons and fighting much faster than Nivel had, the mage squire barely even touched her pypole.

The most difficult part would be to ensue her pupils safety without stressing out. Nivel should have realized that experienced fighters would want to push their limits. She had completely failed to illustrate that while magic is pushing your body past it’s natural abilities you still need to do it slowly so as not to destroy yourself.

Ball suddenly punched his own fist off, this time Nivel could sense some flux behind the attack.
“Ball what did I just say?” Nivel said sternly “Take it slow”
She was afraid his arm might not reattach if he did that too frequently, she could do the move because she was a little more familiar with flux but even she knew it wasn’t a move she would try very often.

Meanwhile Arch was still struggling with the concept which she was becoming more and more thankful of. The squirrel suggested giving himself time to think things over and maybe get a second opinion from a more experienced mage.
“Don’t worry about it Arch, Syliras wasn’t built in a day” Nivel replied while trying not to sound to overjoyed now that she might be off the hook. The Pycon was surprised that her pride wasn’t the least bit hurt by this proposal, it was actually a relief to think of her two pupils being taught by someone more experienced. Even if she just got a few days to think of better metaphors or teaching aids that would be good enough.
“I’ll try to think of some better ways of explaining this but it really is something you kinda figure out on your own.”

Credit for Boxcode goes to Estrellir Konrath
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Sayana on August 3rd, 2015, 8:54 pm

Nivel

Skills:
Skill EXP
Meditation +2
Socialization +3
Dancing +1
Flux +1
Pyken +1
Teaching +5
Rhetoric +4
Endurance +2

Lores:
  • Flux enhanced punch
  • Teaching: Start with safety hazards
  • Teaching: Use of analogies
  • Teaching: Try not to insult the intelligence of students
  • Teaching: Giving a student praise
  • Teaching: Finding alternate ways to explain a concept
  • Teaching: Staying calm and composed

Shield Points:
Shield Points Earned Reason
+2 Training
+5 Teaching Flux to peers
-3 Potentially endangering peers

Total: +4 Shield Points

Comments :
Great thread. I loved how conservative Nivel was throughout the entire thread in terms of teaching Arch and Ball. Since I think the Knighthood would have much preferred someone more experienced teaching a dangerous topic like magic (or at least being present), I deducted some shield points but overall I think she was doing a ‘good deed’. Great work.

Ball

Skills:
Skill EXP
Endurance +3
Weapon: Rapier +1
Socialization +4
Persuasion +2
Interrogation +2
Rhetoric +1
Negotiation +1
Observation +4
Deduction +1
Flux +4
Meditation +3

Lores:
  • Flux: Makes you faster and stronger
  • The dangers of magic and typical overgiving effects
  • Flux is distorting streams of energy to your advantage
  • Finding my internal djed, like an ocean
  • Flux: Basics of channeling djed
  • The power and danger of flux
  • Reattaching a limb

Shield Points:
+5 Training

Total: +5 Shield Points

Comments :
Great thread. I loved your depictions of djed and also just how dangerous it was when he had to tear off his limb. Some of the points in flux were given for the theory and the description of djed since I thought it was critical for learning flux.

Archailist

Skills:
Skill EXP
Climbing +1
Interrogation +5
Deduction +1
Negotiation +1
Flux +2
Meditation +2

Lores:
  • Flux: Makes you faster and stronger
  • The dangers of magic and typical overgiving effects
  • Flux is distorting streams of energy to your advantage
  • Finding my internal djed
  • Djed: Visualizing little squirrels carrying acorns throughout the body

Shield Points:
+5 Training

Total: +5 Shield Points

Comments :
Great thread. I gave you points for flux even though he didn’t quite successfully do the flux. He still learned how to find his djed and learned what flux was so I thought it was sufficient for experience points. Also, now he can learn on his own having already been ‘initiated’ by Nivel. Though probably with great difficulty. I quite enjoyed reading how much of a struggle it was for him to comprehend magic and attempt to use it.

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request in the grade request thread. However, make sure to keep the link so that the DS can review graded threads with ease.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message (like really, I’m all ears if you feel like I missed something).

Enjoy.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous