Closed Swimming with Sharks

Shakune pays a visit to Goldfinger's

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Shakune on February 19th, 2015, 9:33 am

87th Winter, 514AV
Goldfinger's Loan Agency

The break in the cold weather had reawakened many things, namely optimism and hope for the people in Sunberth. For Shakune, it had done all these things and more. The relief of knowing that she had escaped the chances of freezing to death had also aroused determination in the courier. The approaching warmth, and the season changes behind it, would provide an exellent opportunity. Longer days, warmer nights, happier people -- all could contribute towards something that Shakune had lusted after for quite a while now.

Her own courier business.

She had gone over the sums several times, spoken to other business owners who rented or owned a shop in the area of the city she had pictures her own business to stand. Shakune could not afford to fund the business herself, and the Gods alone knew how long it would take for her save enough money to do so. A loan would have to do, and there was only one place where a person could get such a thing: Goldfinger's.

The rumours surrounding Sunberth's loan agency were undoubtedly true. Shakune knew all too well of the risks associated with having a loan from Goldfinger. But in truth, she was beyond caring. She had no family, save for Squidgle the dog, and had very few possessions. It would only be her own safety that was at risk, and that was something Shakune was more than happy to bargain with in order to develop her business.

There was another thing as well...

Her admiration for the loan shark went above beyond what she held for anyone else in the city. He was young, much like herself, but had a flourishing business that had the full support of a gang behind it. Shakune could only dream of having such a commerce that, in truth, helped to fund the city itself. The morals of his business may be dodgy, yes, but which business wasn't? As an independent courier, Shakune had certainly delivered her fair share of ransom letters, or even a finger to really drive home a threat from one gang to another. She had dabbled in the dirtied pool of gangs, and so she could hardly look down on Goldfinger for doing the same.

But he was also known for being bloody savvy. Whether or not Goldfinger would give Shakune a loan depended on several things, she guessed: her business-plan namely, but also Shakune herself. If she could portray herself as the shrewd businesswoman she knew could be, with an appreciation of rich clients and a nose for a good deal, she hoped he would approve of her business and lend her the money.

So when Shakune approached Goldfinger's Loan Agency, she was equipped with several parchment papers. One described, in great detail, the costs of opening her business and what exactly his money would be spent on. Another page reported the prices she would charge per delivery to her clients. The rest of the wrinkled papers documented the steady flow of customers she had built up over the past year. Many were individuals who appeared to reuse Shakune's service repeatedly, but the every so often a well-known Sunberthian business (or gang member) cropped up on the list as well. It was these papers in particular - the evidence of her loyal clientele - that Shakune hoped would sway the loan shark to agreeing to her deal.

With a final, apprehensive sigh, Shakune entered the Loan Agency.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 281911
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Monarch on February 19th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Monarch

Shakune, once she stepped inside the building, was immediately greeted with a small waiting room. An unremarkable secretary was busily scratching something complex into the sheets of parchment that were piled on her desk, paying Shakune little attention as the woman entered the establishment. Against either wall to her side she could see long benches that currently were unoccupied, rugs of bright, contrasting colours set all across the recently-swept floor. The wooden roof was low overhead and gleaned with a polished shine. Everything smelled of lilac, a bizarre smell that had no business being in Sunberth proper. Even in the Gated Community, a secure haven set apart from the madness of the city, the Loan Agency seemed an outlandish facade that was at odds with the muck surrounding it.

From the stories Shakune had heard of this place, it had been the assumption that the Loan Agency would be full of applicants and that the mixed blood would be forced to wait a few bells just to get an audience with Goldfinger, but apparently she was in luck. There was not a soul in the waiting area save for the secretary and Shakune herself.

"Greetings," the secretary breathed, not bothering to look up from her work, "and welcome to the Loan Agency. Mr. Goldfinger will see you shortly." She gestured at the bench to Shakune's left and offered a quick smile before throwing herself back into her writing.

For the next few chimes, there was nothing to do but wait. The secretary was unwilling to speak to Shakune other than to answer a terse query, and whatever business Goldfinger was currently conducting, it was too quiet for the mixed blood to hear. A long hallway opened up at the end of Shakune's bench that led down to an ominous black door, the door to Goldfinger's office.

After an agonizing wait, that door finally swung open with a thundering crash.

Out from the office came two tall men with shaved heads, dressed from their necks down in boiled leather. Each looked as solidly built as a brick wall, and their expressions could curdle milk. Between them a young teenager was dragged limply down the hallway, his feet trailing behind... one twisted at a sickening angle. There was blood covering the teen's face and coating his mousy hair, bruises swelling on every part of his exposed skin. When they reached the waiting room, the two guards only offered Shakune a cursory glance before heading for the door, opening it and tossing the boy out into the streets.

And now standing at the end of the hallway, resting in the doorway, was Goldfinger himself.

"Well?" His silky voice murmured. "Come on in!" He crooked a finger to wave Shakune in, and disappeared into the darkness of his office.

When Shakune followed Goldfinger into his study, she could tell that the darkness inside the room was an artificial effect. There were black curtains everywhere, shrouding the place in shadow, hiding many of Goldfinger's effects from the public eye. The only thing that wasn't covered by billowing darkness was the oak desk that dominated the centre of the room, two chairs waiting on one side and Goldfinger reclining on the other. As she came closer, Shakune could notice a few drops of blood staining the wood floor, but otherwise there was little sign of a scuffle. Goldfinger himself gave no signs of having been in an altercation, dressed in a silken suit and idly cleaning his nails with a penknife.

"So, you're hoping to start a courier business?" He began, sizing Shakune up with hard brown eyes. He did not explain how he made that extraordinary guess - if it was a guess - instead just offering a casual shrug. "Interesting. We haven't had one of those in the city in over five years... last one ended up getting demolished and the owner fed to a pack of dogs. Something about the Daggerhands. Anyway." He stretched his hand out and beckoned for Shakune to hand him the papers. "It's a risky business you plan to enter. Any reason why I should be favouring you?"
Monarch
Did it for the juggles.

Words: 112689
Joined roleplay: May 7th, 2011, 1:32 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Shakune on February 19th, 2015, 5:02 pm

"Any reason why I should be favouring you?"

The question rattled around Shakune's brain for a minute tick. Had he been anyone else, or more accurately if she had met Goldfinger in a tavern, Shakune would have answered his question with a wink and the promise that she had absolutely no gag reflex. Unfortunately, such an ability would not do for now. Not unless the meeting began to sour and Shakune became desperate, that is.

Her endlessly black eyes scanned his office yet again. The sight of the beaten up teen earlier had shaken the mixed blood, and whenever she pushed his bloody face out of her mind, it popped back into her conscious again. She tried to concentrate on the dark room she found herself in now, to appreciate the lavishness of it all and to imprint it on her memory so when she owned such an office, she would know she had finally made it.

Instead, she found herself investigating Goldfinger himself. He was... neater looking than she had expected. Shakune found herself imagining the two of them experiencing a very different type of meeting, right here on the desk they both sat at now. Oh, how those papers would go flying....

For the love Xyna, concentrate!

Shakune snapped back to reality. She needed to come across as enthusiastic for her business, but to also maintain an air of astuteness as well. Too much excitement could blind a businesswoman; make her naive to the harsh world of Sunberth. Finally, Shakune placed her selection of papers onto the desk, separating them into three piles to indicate they contained different messages. It was the largest selection of papers, those that listed her business clients, which she pushed towards Goldinger first. "In the past year or so, I have managed to build up to a client base that includes both individuals and other businesses. Though by no means vast, a number of these clients return for every delivery they wish to make." she licked her lips before continuing, "I believe it's important for a business - especially a courier service - to have a collection of loyal customers that value the service and whose business is valued in return. If I were to open this business I think my client base could only grow, as my services would have a fixed address. People will know exactly where to find me. "

Her second point was slightly coarser: "Secondly, my business has a brand; me. How many other black-eyed couriers are in this city? The fact I am so recognizable with my apparent foreignness-" her lips curled slightly as she said this. It would be obvious that the woman clearly did not appreciate her own heritage, regardless of its apparent usefulness in branding and business, "-means that any potential clients will know who to look for. There are few people who look like me in this city, even fewer who are now slaves."

She slid forward her second choice of papers, this time the page that listed what her business would charge. "I have much experience in this area of business. I know what I can charge clients to make a good enough profit without bleedin' them dry. Likewise--" Now it was third and final page she passed to Goldfinger, "-- I know what I need. I ain't the kind of girl that requires a fancy shop, after all.

And most importantly..."
This final point had the half-breed slow her speaking. She knew Goldfinger's loyalties in terms of the Sunberth gangs, and the worse thing she could do was insult the Sun's Birth. Because of this, she was unsure of how to finish this last sentence. "I have no -- loyalties, let's say. I have no qualms with providing all members of Sunberth a service, providin' they pay me of course."

Having finished her piece, the half-breed leaned back in her chair and watched Goldfinger carefully.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Monarch on February 19th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Monarch

Goldfinger perused the stacks of parchment that Shakune provided for him at his own pace, his attention seemingly split between what she had to say and what he was reading on the page. The emotions on his face were... difficult to read. He did not look impressed, but neither did he seem dismissive of what he was looking at. His gaze never once lost its glint of intensity as he scanned page after page, tapping the penknife arrhythmically against the desk. Back in the corridor, Shakune could overhear the two thugs stomping down the hallway and returning to their quarters, a door that she hadn't observed before. There was no talk between them, just muted grunts could have meant anything. Goldfinger paid the shuffling no mind, finally setting the last piece of parchment back into its arranged pile. Pressing his fingers together, the man leaned back in his seat and examined her quietly, listening to her finish her long speech.

Finally, he gave a bemused huff. "So, allow me to repeat what you've just told me. You want a loan of nearly seven hundred gold so that you can obtain a... what, a fixed address?" Smirking, Goldfinger reached over and tapped the sheets that listed Shakune's previous business partners. "You seem to have done pretty well for yourself so far. A lot of these names mean nothing, but a few of them are - well, they're notable. And if they're returning for previous deliveries, then they're happy with the service you're providing. What I'm saying is, what you're proposing right now isn't really worth my time."

"You see," and here Goldfinger pushed himself out of his chair, heading over to the ajar door. "I give out loans to business to sponsor growth, to lift ventures off the ground that can't get funding elsewhere. Right now, I don't see a need for my investment." Though his words sounded like a rejection of Shakune's plan, the sound of the door closing behind her suggested that he wasn't ready to give up on the woman so easily. Sidling up in front of the mixed blood, Goldfinger leaned back against his desk, reaching into his coat pocket for a small pipe and a pinch of Cyphrian tobacco. Drawing a match from the desktop, he lit the tobacco and breathed out a small puff of smoke, smiling all the while down at Shakune. "You're going to have to do more than this to impress me."

"Don't get me wrong, I like you." He nodded, and while his eye did not wander to her figure, the slight upwards twist of his mouth implied his approval. "You have a good head when it comes to keeping yourself discrete... anyone that tries to play the field in this city isn't going to last for too long. All I want from you is a bit more ambition." Another smoky breath came as Goldfinger fixed his dark gaze to hers, smiling with wolf-like intent. "I'm not just some financier that's going to pay your rent for a few seasons. I fund dreams. I can provide you with everything you desire. So, knowing that, all you want me from me is a crummy little office? Please." Goldfinger gestured idly with the pipe, drawing an imaginary portrait. "When I picture you, I picture you at the head of a network of couriers, all operating by your principles, all working to further your designs. No Questions Couriers wouldn't just be a single foreign girl running errands from a hovel at the corner of the town... it would be an establishment. A hub of communication lines across Sunberth, that anyone, from the lowliest shopkeep to Jardeg Joander him-petching-self, can rely upon."

"Look at me," he murmured, drawing a finger gently across Shakune's cheek. "Look at what I do. I can make everything you've ever wanted come true. Are you sure that this," he indicated her proposed list of expenditures with a whiff of disdain, "is all you can think of?"
Monarch
Did it for the juggles.

Office
Donor (1)

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Shakune on February 20th, 2015, 9:16 am

Shakune's heart sank. She had disappointed him through her lack of ambition.

Lack of ambition! Shakune screamed in her own mind. She had come here purposefully with the aim of being conservative, thinking that had she been too ambitious, it would come across arrogant and naive. Every girl that could knit a pair of socks thought she would be the next fashion designer, and Shakune did not want to be thrown into that pile as well.

The smell of his smoke woke stirred something with the half-breed. She had smoked such a substance many times, usually on those quiet evenings in a tavern as she discussed her business plans with friends. Back then, she had been more than ambitious. In her imagination, No Questions Couriers would deliver right across the lands, employing avian Kelvics and sailors to reach the far corners of the world to deliver goods. It had always been part of Shakune's plan to extend her courier service as far as she could, to develop it into a business that was recognized in every major city. It was practically impossible to achieve, though, and so she had decided to deny herself this dream for her meeting with Goldfinger.

She would no longer hold herself back.

Shakune stood, aware that leaving her chair was perhaps not approved of, but she thought and explained herself better whenever on the move. She began to take long strides to and fro, from one side of Goldfinger's office to another. "I don't just see myself as the head of a Courier company within Sunberth, but one that can extend to the other cities. Not so much just to deliver your aunt Marie's birthday card, of course, but more to serve other businesses." Her words were tumbling out quick and excitedly. She was passionate about this business as well as familiar with it, "do you know how many businesses use some sort of cargo ship to pick up and deliver their goods? And more importantly, how many have no idea of the person who is providing this service for them, whether they're actually going to deliver the goods or not? Piracy and theft cost the economy a huge amount, but if there were a single courier company that was recognized and respected throughout the land, this wouldn't be such of a major problem.

This store in Sunberth would be the start of No Questions Couriers, and I would continue to push this company as far as I can."
Shakune paused, positioned in the center of the room, and turned to face Goldfinger head-on, "I have some contacts, from all over the place. When I was girl, I lived aboard a ship that provided such a courier service, but not under a brand or business name. The captain was trusted and he had a system much like mine, where the sender and receiver had to sign to prove the goods had been delivered. It was hugely successful, and I have no doubt that I can provide the same service. If you add a well-known brand onto this, the profit margins would be even bigger. Businesses will be happier to pay slightly more to know completely that their goods are cared for. And then - within each city - No Questions will continue to provide the same service that I am doing now, delivering individual parcels and letters for people."

Slowly, she returned to her seat, sitting down quietly like a well-behaved schoolgirl. So her ultimate business plan had two parts: No Questions Couriers would provide a courier service within a city for the average citizen, like what Shakune did now. Alternatively, she also hoped that her business would extend between cities to deliver and retrieve goods for various other businesses.

When she spoke again, Shakune's voice was quieter than before. "With my success in Sunberth, the money I am hoping to borrow from you will fund my flagship store. I'll build more of a reputation in the city, gaining the trust of more businesses and more people like--" She flashed a minute smirk to Goldfinger, "Jardeg Joander him-petching-self. In a year’s time, I hope to have at least one employee - perhaps even two - and to also have my own ship. It only needs to be small, and then I'll use my contacts in the other cities to branch No Questions out. The people of Zeltiva or Riverfall may be a completely different clientele to those in Sunberth, but every business and most individuals have needs of a courier."
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Monarch on February 20th, 2015, 8:03 pm

Monarch

As Shakune pushed herself out of the chair and began to pace around the room, Goldfinger leaned back against the desk and smiled. His eyes, glinting in the pale light of the office, were trained on the mixed blood, the pipe held in one hand and the other casually tracing symbols on the top of the desk. If Shakune managed to pay attention to him in the midst of her proud declarations, she would notice that the symbols he was tracing were numbers, his fingers sketching out invisible equations against the wooden surface. There was no telling what he was attempting to calculate, but Goldfinger evidently seemed confident in his ability to keep track of numbers in his head. When he was finally finished, Goldfinger gave a slight grunt and folded his arms, his smile never changing.

When the woman's speech ended, Goldfinger pursed his lips. "Hmm," he murmured, nodding his head gently. "Employees and a ship." He stared at Shakune for only a moment more, the wheels in his head turning... then gave a start and hurried back around his desk. Dousing the pipe with a quick press of his thumb, Goldfinger slipped it into his coat pocket and reached for a bare sheet of parchment. Retrieving the quill he had left on the right side of his desk, Goldfinger bent his head low and began to scrawl something out on the parchment, a quick, harried message that Shakune would have difficulty reading from her sitting position. In the background, the mixed blood could hear the creak of the upstairs floor as some unknown person stomped about overhead.

The financier wrote for half a chime, let the ink dry, and then folded the parchment up into a neat square and handed it off to Shakune. "I'm willing to write you a loan for the amount you've asked, with a five-per-cent interest set for the next season. You'll have no problem paying that off with the prices you've set for your business. But I'm not going to write you that loan without first using your services for myself. Surely, you understand." The smile he gave her then was disconcerting, the toothy grin a jackal might give its prey before it lunged in for the kill.

"I need you to take this to Veruss Deshire, a friend of mine living in the Den. He works over at the Blood Pits, so you should have no problem finding him. He's tall, bald, tattoo of a snake on his forehead. Big bloodshot eyes. Ugly petcher." Goldfinger eased himself down into his seat, propping one elbow up and resting his head against his hand. "I'm going to need that delivered today, before dusk. No questions, right?"
Monarch
Did it for the juggles.

Office
Donor (1)

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Shakune on February 24th, 2015, 4:36 pm

I have said too much. He sees me as nothing more than a kid who reckons she's gonna be a princess some day Shakune thought desperately, her stomach dropping and her jaw clenching. There was a fine balance between ambition and naivety, and apparently Shakune had erred not on the side of caution, but on the side of stupidity.

"I'm willing to write you a loan for the amount you've asked..."

The rest of his words melted away from Shakune's consciousness. It was like a great balloon of air had finally released itself from within her gut. She let out a lungful of air in a single cool stream of breath, feeling the relief wash over and take over from the nervousness.

He was going to give her the money! No Questions Couriers would actually happen!

She felt dizzy with release, but the half-breed managed to nod along with what the financier was saying, maintaining a front of being engaged in their conversation. He would use her service -- that wasn't a bad thing, assuming that Shakune provided the good quality service she usually did. She made a hurried note of the name of the individual she would be delivering the letter to, along with the words 'snake tattoo forehead' as well. Finally, she flashed a smirk up to Goldfinger, who was, at that moment, her favourite person in the entire world. "No Questions." She confirmed with a confidential nod.

She folded her papers up neatly, taking her time to slip them into her satchel bag. The slowness of her movements served the purpose to come across as shrewd and precise with her actions, as well as to buy Shakune extra time to think of any more questions -- regarding the loan, of course. "I'll get on it right away." She promised with another official nod as she stood up and extended her hand across the desk, towards the financier, "and of course, should you ever want a courier service for anything else, you'll know where to find me." There was a hint of playfulness to her statement, as if Shakune's psyche could not stop itself from making the most genuine of offers sound like an innuendo.

ooc :
I hope this is okay! I guessed you wouldn't want me to write Shakune running off to the Pits to find Veruss, but let me know if you want me to change anything:)
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Monarch on February 25th, 2015, 8:34 am

Monarch

Wearing a smile that seemed entirely at odds with his prior attitude of indifference, Goldfinger leaned over the table and shook Shakune's head vigorously. "I imagine I will. You'll come to appreciate the interest I take in all of my investments." His words a mystery, the man settled back into his chair with a satisfied look on his face, gesturing over to the closed door. "Well, that concludes our business for now. I'll be waiting here with the loan agreement... all it'll need is my signature." Folding his hands together, Goldfinger took a deep breath and cocked his head to the side. "Oh, and one more thing. When you reach the Den, be sure that this letter is read by Veruss only. I don't want my secrets ending up in the hands of scoundrels and scumbags. Only when you look my friend in the eye and know that you've found your man, are you allowed to hand over that note." He nodded quietly, tapping his foot gently against the base of the desk. "I hope you do remember to be careful... the winds are getting warmer. That means the maggots will start crawling forth from the deep to start festering the streets once more. And they wouldn't object to a meal like yourself."

With this warning delivered, Goldfinger waved Shakune off, biding her good luck.

A few chimes after she left the building, the door to his office opened once more, one of the stoutly-built thugs pushing his way in. Glancing back down the hallway, wringing his hands together, the thug gave Goldfinger a critical eye. The financier did not notice this, already having thrown himself back into work, his desk a flurry of pages and ink and darting hands. "Boss?" The guard finally asked.

Not bothering to look up, Goldfinger merely pursed his lips. "Do you have something funny to say, Rodge?"

"No...?" The thug replied, hesitant.

"Well then." Goldfinger shot Rodge an exasperated glare. "You know I don't like to be disturbed by anything not funny."

"It's just..." The guard scratched the back of his neck. "Veruss Deshire? Are you sure?"

At the mere mention of the name, Goldfinger gave a delighted cackle. "Oh yes," he said, shaking his head with a wide grin on his face. "Very sure indeed." Rodge nodded sheepishly and made to leave the room, but his employer stopped him. "Be sure to double the rotation on the doors. I suspect that when the mixed blood returns, she's going to try and kill me. Make sure that doesn't happen."

"Yessir."

- - -

Little more than a bell after she left Goldfinger's office, Shakune was able to make it to the Wolf's Den. A truly anarchic part of town compared to the mess that was Sunberth proper, the neighbourhood that she found herself in was filthy, confusing, and filled with contemptuous eyes that stared at her from every growing shadow. It was about midday when she entered the Den, and thankfully, the streets were relatively clear and she was able to proceed without harassment. A few gaunt-looking figures stood to challenge her, but after only a moment's second thought, they returned to their ghastly abodes, thinking better of the act. It seemed as if the winter had done a great number on the Wolf's Den, calming the usually hellish streets. It was to the neighbourhood's credit that by the time she arrived at the Blood Pit entrance, Shakune had only passed by two freshly-disposed of corpses, one of them being torn apart by starved dogs.

The Blood Pit was a low circular structure made of stone, that seemingly buzzed with activity in contrast to the rest of the Den. At the front entrance was a steady gaggle of weary faces and hungry glares, all pushing their way forward in the hopes of getting a good seat to the fight. Somewhere in the midst of that impoverished throng cried a little boy's voice, probably a misplaced orphan from the Sunset Quarter. "The Bull fights against a former Dragoon! Take your bets!" At the actual doors into the Pit stood two guards in shabby surcoats and sporting wicked looking daggers at their hips, demanding a charge of "Two silvers!" from every hopeful entrant.

From her position, Shakune could spot no other entrance into the Pit, but it was possible that there was another one around the building's sides. She had no time to contemplate this before a slippery voice asked, "Lost, darling?" Approaching her from seemingly nowhere was a particularly lean man wearing nothing but a pair of mismatched breeches, his flesh so thin that his ribs were clearly defined under scar-marked skin. His dark green eyes were lit by a savage sort of light, but his smile looked almost genuine in its sincerity. Beside a nearby building, Shakune could spot a large woman watching the scene with interest, balancing a nail-embedded club against her shoulder. The man did not come too close to her, but instead began to pace around the mixed blood. "I can point you to wherever you need to be going. And I know the places worth going to, too. Trust me, I'm your friend here. I can be your friend."

Moderation Note :
So, unless you're not happy with this change of arrangement, I was hoping we could turn this into a little quest for Shakune to gain Goldfinger's favour! I hope you're as excited as I am!

You can try to push your luck entering the Blood Pit through the front entrance, or search for another way in. But first, you'll have to deal with this pair. You have no control over them, but feel free to address both issues in your post and I'll respond accordingly.
Monarch
Did it for the juggles.

Office
Donor (1)

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Shakune on February 25th, 2015, 4:14 pm

His strange warning of maggots and the warmth was somewhat lost on Shakune, though she appreciated the basic gist of such a statement: shit stunk more when it was hot, after all. She considered this metaphor as she left the loan agency building.

The giddy feeling that had swelled within Shakune soon disappeared upon her exiting Goldfinger's. His dark office had seemed like a little pocket of magic, where dreams could come true with the simple signing of papers. Now, standing in the bright chaos of Sunberth once again, Shakune could not shake off a sense of discomfort. She had conquered the beast, slayed the dragon. Somewhere in the city, there was an empty shop that would soon house No Questions Couriers, and in the depths of Golfinger's Agency, there was a pot of gold that would soon have her name on it. She had achieved her goal.

And yet...

Doubt nagged at Shakune, it ate away at her gut. She hovered outside the Loan agency for a chime, somewhat at a loss of what to do next. She needed to get on with the job that Goldfinger had given her, but something intrinsic stopped the courier from stepping a foot in the direction of the Blood Pits.

Reaching into her bag, she withdrew the letter addressed to Veruss Deshire and stared at its crisp, sealed form. She knew far better than to actually read the letter, especially when she was less than ten feet away from the man who had actually written it. She wondered if one of Goldfinger's guards, or perhaps the man himself, was watching her from beyond those dark curtained windows, waiting for her to make a critical mistake or blunder. Her black eyes turned back down to the letter and her stomach clenched uncomfortably. "It's a test." The words were barely audible. Maybe Goldfinger wanted to see if she was worthy of his loan? Perhaps there was no real person called Veruss Deshire, and Shakune was simply walking into trap.

Test or trap, Shakune needed to get a move on. It would be the first time she had delivered anything to the Blood Pit, so she had no idea who or what would meet her there. Despite her outward confidence, the courier didn't have a strong stomach for violence and blood, and had thus never frequented the Blood Pit for leisure. All she knew of the place were the basics of what happened there: men fought, sometimes to the death, whilst others made bets on who would win. It was far from her cup of tea, and Shakune pulled a disgruntled face as imagined broken men being dragged away to die, whilst others rubbed their hands greedily.

Having = come to a decision, she folded the letter in half once, then twice. There was only one place that Shakune could really ensure such important documents were safe from pickpockets, and that was within her blouse, safely between her breasts. As such, it was there where she slipped Goldfinger's letter. She briefly turned back to the Loan Agency, jaw tight, and gave a confirmatory nod.

Bring it on.

---

The Blood Pit was indeed unlike anywhere else Shakune had been. Sunberth was an ugly, chaotic place at the best of times, but she loved the city. The Blood Pits though, were a world unto themselves. The metallic stink of blood clung to the air like a whore's cheap perfume. Trying not to gag at the stench, Shakune stood several feet before the entrance to the Pits, eyeing the heavyset guards with a pair of wary black eyes. They were steely faced, the sort that simply wouldn't waver under any distraction or bribe. "I could have their cocks in my mouth and they'd still charge me two silvers for entry." She muttered glumly, turning away from the guards and prowling to the left of the stone structure.

The identity of Veruss Deshire was still a mystery to Shakune, but judging by the tattooless foreheads of the two guards, she assumed neither of them were who she was looking for. If only it had been that simple, she lamented.

A voice.

She turned sharply towards the man who had spoken to her, and Shakune did well to hide her disturbance at his appearance. He was skeletally thin, his papery skin pulled over his bones like a wrapping that could be ripped by the slightest of tugs. Despite his meagre appearance, Shakune was readily wary. A 'friend' such as this specimen could all too easily become a thief, rapist, or murderer.

With a casual nod towards the Blood Pit, Shakune spoke. She let the words tumble out without much thought, weaving a lie as casually and convincingly as she could. "Been away from the city for a while. Who's this Bull and Dragoon they've got on? They got any real names?" Feigning unfamiliarity with Pits, and more importantly with the infamous fighters, was probably her best way to gain information about the Blood Pits without actually entering the hellhole.

The worse case scenario is that Veruss Deshire is one of the fighters, Shakune mused, but the courier quickly corrected herself: No. Worse case scenario is that he's the loser and is beaten to a pulp before I deliver the letter.

ooc :
I'm more than happy with this mini quest. How exciting!
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Swimming with Sharks

Postby Monarch on February 26th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Monarch

Nodding quietly as Shakune spoke, Green Eyes then let out a gentle snicker, all the while circling round and round the mixed blood. "You don't know the Pit Bull? You must have been away from the city for a veeery long time then. Why, the Bull's been here almost as long as the Pit itself." To Shakune's frustration, no matter how quickly she might have adjusted her position to keep an eye on the stranger, Green Eyes kept finding a way to be just a tick faster than her. The effect was disconcerting, making the mixed blood almost dizzy with any attempt to track Green Eyes' movements. "Dastana runs the books around here, but everyone knows that the Pit Bull is in charge. No one knows his real name... no one knows how many he's killed. Quite a scary man. I wouldn't go see him fight, if I were you."

In the distance, the large woman seemed to be tiring of watching the scene, a look of boredom clear in her glazed expression. With an inaudible sigh, she hefted the club across her shoulders and began to approach the pair, her intentions unknown from a simple glance. Meanwhile, Green Eyes made sure to continue pacing back and forth around Shakune, slowly nearing the mixed blood an inch at a time. Each step of his made a crunching noise, as his badly damaged shoes crushed shards of broken glass, bottles, and wooden debris. "The Dragoon is one of those soldiers from the Sun's Birth. Strong, noble type. Used to visit this part of town every season or so, with an interest in... well, that doesn't matter. Don't know if he's still one of them. But he's got strong armour and a keen sword, so you've got some betters placing their hopes on him. I wouldn't, if I was in their position... the Bull's never lost a fight."

"Seeger." came the grunt from the large woman, whose clothes were badly frayed and stank of dung. "Enough talk." The woman's steely eyes were fixated on Shakune, a grimace curling the corners of her lips.

Green Eyes waved the grunt off. "So, darling. A question for a question. You've asked me one, now I ask you one." He finally stopped his pacing on the other side of Shakune, flanking the mixed blood. With a sigh, he idly flexed his fingers, each bone giving a sickening crack as it twisted. "My question for you, is... how'd you get so far from the Row, little girl?" A smile bloomed on Seeger's face, and the woman behind Shakune gave the club a practice swing through the air. "Isn't your master going to miss you? Come, we had better get you back to him." Their mission clear now, the two slavers closed in around Shakune, advancing on her with menace in their eyes...

when suddenly an explosion of activity occurred at the doors to the Pit. A shrill scream pierced the air, drawing all eyes to the Pit entrance. There, the two guards that had once stood watch over the doors were now collapsing to either side, their necks slit clean through. Taking advantage of the chaos, a swarm of onlookers now surged through the doors into the Pit, with cries of, "Quick, to the storehouse!" echoing their way over to Shakune. Confused, Green Eyes turned his head to look, his mouth hanging open. Distracted as he was, Seeger could not contribute to his partner's advance, as she gave a ferocious howl and swung her club wide at Shakune's legs. The hope was to cripple with her, but if the mixed blood ended up getting struck by one of the many rusty nails stuck through the weapon, she might end up suffering a nasty infection.
Monarch
Did it for the juggles.

Office
Donor (1)

Next