Closed Spirit In the Night

(Fallon) A simple night out takes a lead into an odd turn of events.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Moderator: Prophet

Spirit In the Night

Postby Ricky Maze on March 13th, 2015, 6:28 am

Image
Spirit In the Night
Spring 18th 515 AV, 21st Bell
Location: East Street

He had made sure to take it easy on the drinking tonight since he did after all lose a finger last time he went out like this, even the idea of wearing a sword at his belt seemed fitting to the contrary as it brought a better sense of security on the way home. Why exactly had Ricky walked through East Street? Because he wanted to at least enjoy a bit of drinking at the one place that had a quaint, if not favorable, feel to it no matter how many drunkards proved to inhabit the place during the later bells of the day. The Kelp Bar had always been an interesting place to be and it never failed to live up to that reputation for Ricky, tonight of course wasn't about meeting with anybody or looking for anything fun to do. Tonight was all about him unwinding by allowing the sweet intoxication to do work its magic, and ease the troubles in his thoughts down some by the attempts to drown them out with a buzz. He had accomplished that well enough alright, and that meant now it had been time to return to the place he called home. After all the beloved wife and ever so innocent son of his awaited his return, and he definitely felt ready to call it a night after the couple of beers had settled inside his stomach. Thus the fisherman walked onward with his mind still in a happy haze but able to register and process every thought, as the world around him seemed quieter as the liveliness slowly crept into the four walls of every building found in the city. East Street however wasn't the place to feel at ease with, neither was the rest of the city but here it had been particularly worse.

Of course he was aware of what could lurk in the dark, and he wasn't afraid to draw his own weapon, in the name of defense mind you should his other means fail him. His mark served as a friendly reminder to that, and that not all tools of violence was a means of safety. While his Gnosis hadn't really been intended to nor was even powerful for fighting, it still served as a less harmful way to keep those within the shadows of night at bay. If only it had worked those that were less fortunate however, as he took notice of a man laid out in an alleyway nearby. His instinct told him to move on but deep down he felt the notion wrong, this man could've been innocent and needed help for all Ricky knew, he had been in a situation quite similar after all. Little did he know... their situations were polar opposites in regards to his condition. The fisherman had taken to approach the individual though remained wary of his surroundings, a knelt down next to the dark haired man revealed him to be unconscious against the wall. Sweat appeared prominent to the forehead and the lips looked cracked, while the man still drew breath it appeared short and heavy. "Oy. Oy." He gave a few gentle shakes at the man's shoulder, the gentleness reduced a bit to try and stir him back to life. No good appeared to come out of it though, he appeared limp and lifeless while his body remained thin, without any sign of coherency to show as Ricky ground his teeth. "Damn!... Shyke!" The curses couldn't be helped, he knew one thing would have to lead to another, and granted this looked like either a case of drugs or plague, the fisherman had now become involved in this. There was little else to do as a responsible person would do the right thing, which was usually flag down a Wave Guard and have him help. But this man... he needed medical attention right away. "Hold on ye bastard, Oi'll git ya t' safety." He reassured the individual as he grasped a wrist to pull the arm over his shoulder, he noticed a travel sack lay next to him on the stone ground too.

So with that now in possession and the addled man on his side, Ricky headed straight for the infirmary found at Zeltiva's University immediately. He had to be the one to get the man there soon, lest he feel all the more responsible for failing to save anothers life.

Location: The University: Infirmary

His arrival couldn't have been more timely they said, another bell or so and he could've definitely been a lost cause. When he explained to the nurses that he hadn't the slightest clue what happened, they left it up to chance to guess what transpired for a man to wind up nearly half dead in the backstreets of the city. Of course most could already tell that by the symptoms this hadn't been some plague, the case was too early and his condition would've already impacted others by now. No he had definitely overdosed on some type of drug, which was all the more what Ricky needed to hear now before he went home. He hated the idea that stuff like this polluted the city, contaminated its denizens and led them to rely on the idea of some form of high or relief. The escapism behind it could be understandable if one were in such a needy position, but it didn't excuse the fact there were other ways to make an effort in life than just taking powders. Which is why he remained seated in a chair across from the bed the man lied in, hopeful that he might awaken at some point now that he had someone to come to his rescue. No good would probably come of it though, there was no way of knowing how long this self induced coma would last. For all Ricky knew he could still be on the verge of death, and wouldn't ever come to wake up out of this mess. Poor bastard. He had hoped there wasn't no family who waited for him to return home, if there had been it certainly wouldn't be pleasing were he the one to bear bad news. He didn't let such thoughts trouble him though as the mark once again gave cause for faith, he believed there existed hope for this man and that deep down he held strength for this.

Whoever this man might've been he definitely had to have the guts and will to pull through this alive, whether it would take several bells or the remainder of the night, that would remain to be seen for sure. Still... now that Oi've seen his face, Oi feel like Oi know him from somewhere. He trailed back in his mind to the possible locations that seemed fitting, the memory of the face a little vague as he recalled certain pieces of the scenery with it. From what he knew this man was a laborer that worked down at the docks, he wasn't anyone special nor anyone Ricky actually worked with or met. Their paths might've certainly crossed a few times a day, but other than that he never thought another of this man as he would anyone else. Now? There was a deep sense of sympathy for him, a need to understand why there was cause for this, and what it was that created such a cause in the first place. Yet he wasn't a part of the Guard anymore, and even though that might've been the case, that still didn't stop him from wanting to investigate. Oi dun really need t' be a guard t' investigate d'is, but gittin' leads on it won't be as easy either. He figured as his finger and thumb rested before his chin, he looked heavily in thought as he tried to think of some sort of solution.

Something he felt plausible to the cause, granted he couldn't just sit by and let himself be useless.
Image
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Image
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
User avatar
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"
 
Posts: 2397
Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Location: Nyka -> Wildlands -> Syliras
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Spirit In the Night

Postby Fallon on March 15th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Image

There was only the small grunt of discomfort as the fingers begun their probing, a small inhale as Fallon simply sucked in the air and allowed the situation to proceed before her. It was a necessary evil, something that needed to be done sooner rather than later and whilst she had put off doing it during the day time due to work, it was at night that proceeded to be the best time for the opportunity. Next to no one would be around to question, the staff would be fewer and the face of Fallon would be left as rather unknown. With her arm pressed against her, her shoulder and collar bone bare, Fallon stilled her form - the smallest hiss and flinch as she felt the tickling of chilled spring air against her flesh. It was the eyes of the doctor however that continued to peer at her, unmoving and unflinching as he performed his work.

"Hold still now. It won't hurt..." He breathed gently. The once gang leader screwed up her face, head turning away. She could not bring herself to look at what was to come, her mind rebelling against the sensation like many times before. With an inhale, she steeled herself as the doctor moved in for his plan. A pull, a tensing, and a slip in. A faint snipping sound caused Fallon to creak an eye open at the man, eye refusing to look properly as it was pulled from her flesh and left hanging before her. She spoke then, "Well?"
"Well what?"
"Well?"
"You're doing good,"
There, she spied the once cording belonging to a stitch, pinched neatly between tweezers being moved away and being dropped within a small, iron bowl. There was a shudder to the faint pattering of the material as it landed, before her gaze turned to the doctor, "There, one down. Another seven to go."
"Seven?"
Fallon grimaced. The doctor simply gave her the look and continued with his work - no doubt bemused by his current patient.

And so, Fallon shifted her gaze to look upon other things. An attempt to distract herself from what was immediately going on. While the Infirmary in some regards an interesting sight - none existed in Sunberth after all - she could not help but crack the occasional eyebrow at the few late night occupants that were bringing themselves in. A sailor with a broken nose was across the room, nurse gently tending to him as he grunted. Further on she could see the few others peering at the various medicines and equipments in their cabinets - deciding on which to pick or simply checking stock Fallon could not tell. Beyond that there was only the buzz of noise that came with the night, that background hum that rattled in her ears.

Turning her gaze down she spied the doctor had moved onto the fourth stitch now, her eyes watching intently as the cord was lifted with the tweezers firmly holding the knot, before the thin scissors slid in beneath. A snip, it was pulled away, cord dangling behind before being placed to one side. Her head turned when one of the nurses came over, gently placing down a jar of paste and some fresh dressing down next to him. There was only the small nod in thanks before he continued. Somewhere beyond she watched the new comer enter, the head lolling of whatever man he was dragging beside him. She watched, head tilting to one side as both were greeted by the staff, separated and the obviously unwell of the two was slumped onto one of the infirmary beds.

Her chin craned up to get a better view, eyes flickering back and forth as she caught only the faintest glimpse of the seen to patient. Pale skinned, she could see the dark shadows that had formed under the eyes from a distance. the form had slumped, completely limped with no immediate signs of damage to the physical. Perhaps he fell over, Fallon mused - but then why would such a form carry such a pale and drawn sheen?

It was to the other that her gaze then shifted to, stocky, perhaps tired looking - it was a late bell, so it served as no immediate surprise if that was the case. The skin was tanned as well, and as her mind flickered through the potential professions that could tie him to - the most she got to was a laborious one that occurred outside. Another snip, it was the doctor that spoke again this time, "There. Done. Just going to put the salve on, wrap it up and then you're free."
"Joy,"
Fallon breathed, her gaze snapping briefly to him and then back to her current study. Something was amiss with the situation, the man's expression spoke it in volumes. With an inhale she turned her gaze back to watch the bandaging be applied and tied neatly off. Her release before her, Fallon pulled her shirt back around, quickly doing up the buttons as the instructions came, "You still need to be careful with it, no over exertion as its still healing. You hear?"
"Yes, I hear,"
She sighed. Hand reaching back she hooked her coat off the back of the chair, the belt that held the mean kukri coming shortly after. He gave the weapon a disapproving look, before averting his gaze back up to her, "I understand. I won't go looking for trouble." She breathed to herself then, "Much."

Stepping away, gloves still in hand it was only along the main space of the infirmary that she heard the gentle crunch of paper beneath her foot. Pausing, she lifted it and stooped to pick up the small wrapping of paper that was there, bound up into a small parcel of paper and a powdery residue upon her finger tips. Blinking she gave a glance over to the recent entry and gave a pad over. Without a thought, she placed the small sample upon the bedside, her eyes stealing a glance down onto that stilled gaze and fevered breathing. Least, until her gaze lifted and looked across to the brawny man, "Your friend, think he dropped this on the way in," she tapped the side next to it before taking those slower steps away, "Figured Zeltiva wouldn't have this sort of problem. Kind of a surprise. Still, sorry about your friend" She begun tugging at her gloves then, pulling them back on over bare skin, "You find him like this?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2111
Words: 2247042
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
Power Fork (1)

Spirit In the Night

Postby Ricky Maze on March 29th, 2015, 5:51 am

Image
It could easily be a matter of investigation in the area he had been located or perhaps in the area he worked at, but to do something like that would invite only further trouble on Ricky's part as it would require searching. Time alone wasn't the only thing that wouldn't be his ally, there would be many that would sweep associations with this man or incident under their carpets, pretend they have no ties or connections to either and in turn create dead ends. Shyke, Ricky wasn't even sure where to start if he were to try. On top of that there had been the debate at hand, as to whether or not he should try and seek out a family involved with this man. Surely if this poor lost soul had anybody waiting at home, they'd be worried sick about the fact he hadn't shown yet. Still he couldn't leave from his seat just yet, maybe just a little longer and then he'd come to, wake up to be able to tell Ricky everything he needed to hear. Wishful thinking more like, because if one took into account the dry mouth and stable breathing he maintained, it could easily be presumed that this mystery man really wasn't going to wake up anytime soon.

Shyke again. What would he have to do in order to turn this into something better? Maybe get the help of the Wave Guard? They'd only open an investigation and look into it, and even then it would take more time. Time wasn't on their side in this bell, something had to be done otherwise... well he didn't know! Another could wind up in an alleyway and they could actually die, thanks to the fact nobody would be there to save them like Ricky did with this man. Dried crack lips from dehydration, cold hands, mild fever, what else? He considered the possible facts that could weigh into account with his doubt, yet even so with such facts all evidence seemed to lean further and further towards the fact this man was a drug user. He had obviously indulged too much and thanks to an overdose of whatever he had, fell into a self induced coma while he remained hidden in the backyard of East Street. Oi dun 'ave any authority t' do me own investigation, but Oi can't just sit by an' let a possible chance go t' waste when it could save a life. Probably more t'an just one. He clenched his hands into tight fists as he thought more and more, a bite of his lower lip symbolized more focus as he he watched the lifeless figure on bed rest.

And then she came. Who was this stranger that came around with her own sort of... no it wasn't attitude in her step but... damn! He couldn't figure it out but somehow he felt different with her, slightly intimidated perhaps but not without challenge? She definitely surprised him seeing as how he didn't first notice her approach, yet when she mentioned the problem that they were faced he sighed with a hand brushed through his hair. "Unfortunately yes. Never really knew d'is guy but at de same time d'at doesn't seem important, not when a matter o' life or death falls int' de equation." He brought his hands into one ball as he brushed them over one another, while he leaned forward with elbows on his knees in transition with his sitting position. "He was unconscious when Oi discovered him, somewhere in an alley located in East Street. As much as Oi hate t' admit it drugs and smugglin' is an issue de city faces, even when Oi might 'ave ideals o' her bein' perfect, Oi still can't ignore de fact Zeltiva has its own issues under de surface." Indeed he'd played the naive fool in that part for far too long, pretending the city was the perfect place to call home wasn't going to change anything, not when the bad simply remained hidden underneath the amount of good at hand.

Yet how much good had been present recently? After the hardships Zeltiva had endured, it had definitely been called for right about now. Maybe... just maybe, the city needed those to stand up and make the good stamp out the bad. "Oi'd look int' findin' out where he was, poke around an' see if Oi can't find some possible answers. Really Oi'd like t' put a stop t' whoever is puttin' d'is shyke out on de streets, if it's already endangered one life t'en ye can imagine de trouble it'll cause ot'ers in de long run." He looked the woman with a loosely worked smile, some odd form of hope found even with the odds of reality stacked high against him. Really! What could he do? He was a fisherman with a wife and child for crying out loud, not some secret vigilante with the means to discover and stop any illicit activities. Still he wasn't going to give in just yet, an reliable solution was bound to come up sooner or later so long as he continued to think about it, even though it would've been much easier to call it quits and just go home. Even though the idea itself felt pleasing to imagine, his conscious demanded otherwise in knowing there could be something. Something had to be done, and sadly it wouldn't allow him to rest, until Ricky figured out just what that something was.

"Not from around 'ere Oi take it?" He finally pointed out now that he dwelt more on what she had said, granted she spoke of Zeltiva as though she only recently considered stopping here. Or... did she actually live here and just didn't see the city having this kind of problem? It seemed more probably but judging how she carried herself, how she didn't appear to hold any form of naivety. Who is this mysterious woman that approached him? He hadn't noticed her earlier when he walked in, not unless she was... well there had been a doctor tending to the others here, it could've been he'd overlooked her when he helped brought in the patient he found earlier. He wanted to ask questions, more questions since he'd already asked one, but he found himself actually more interested in what she had to say compared to what she might actually share.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Image
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
User avatar
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"
 
Posts: 2397
Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Location: Nyka -> Wildlands -> Syliras
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Spirit In the Night

Postby Fallon on March 30th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Image

He seemed to be brooding over something - least, that was how Fallon would have described it as she continued her peer down to him. Whatever was going on in the space between his ears was beyond her, but the level of frowning, the eyes that seemed to flicker and look back and forth across the body. Fallon herself was silent as she stared down upon the sick, ears twitching, the fingers tapping as she counted within her mind the breaths that were taken.

Slow, steady, her gaze slid across to the limp hand, the exhale as the sleep smothered the body and took control - dreams were the only friend he had now. Her eyes moved, watching as the nurse moved around them, gently touching and tending to the patient in question as the pair were left in their silence. The shoes were pulled off and placed at the bed side, the tracings of mud and earth gracing them - scuffed and well worn. And then, at last, the man opposite looked upon her. She gave little more than the tilt of the head to one side, her question still hanging in the air as he seemed to consider the question. A sigh, a stalling action perhaps as he gathered his thoughts together and answered. There was only a slow nod in response, a pause as she translated what could only be described as the pure Zeltivan twang into something much more manageable. The stance shifted, hunching over as if to concentrate his thoughts upon the matter.

"Many things lie beneath the front mask of many a city, one just simply needs to open their eyes wider to see them," her gaze looked upon the sleeping face, lips pursing into a line as she contemplated how to go about the situation before her. It was with it that the green-blue orbs flickered back up to him, sharpening as she tried to once more read what was going on before her. Situation, associate, common information - East Street, some alleyway? There was a thought tickling at her mind that suggested that it was the shadier area of Zeltiva, but it was quickly pushed aside by the idea of smuggling drugs. Her voice breathed, "Yes, matter of life or death."

Her brow rose, "How bold. While it won't be denied, where does the evidence lie? And if so how recent is it? Days old? Seasons old? Years?" She looked back down to the man then, the more analytical mind ticking over, "It's something that needs to be seen and caught in the act with, drops of information and tip offs to what's going on - best way to catch them in the act, so to speak." Her gaze lowered then, nostrils flaring as she inhaled the sterile air, "But, this is merely words, and words solve nothing."

Still, she could not knock the bravado he was putting on - the brave face that claimed he would do so much. Forcing answers to the fore, asking questions, tracking it down. It made her wonder how exactly with so little information before him he was going to achieve that, "Ah, so a brave vigilante? Would that not potentially ruffle feathers? Does Zeltiva have laws on citizens overstepping their boundaries?" She let the question hang for a few ticks, "So what do you plan then say you do find them, complete eradication? Purification? Destruction? Or will you simply hand them over to the law and let them decide..." her hand gave a flick then, "Whatever that may be."

His mind seemed set either way, so moving her gaze to the few meagre things that had been left upon the bedside she pondered over them. The powdery paper for one, the blunted eating knife another, then there was the shoes. She spoke slowly, "No, I am not from around here. Though, I have visited Zeltiva before and I plan for this visit to be more lengthy than the rest," With a flash of a smile she offered the gloved right hand over to him, a lean forward as she stretched across the bed, "Miss Skylar of the soon to be opened Scarred Wolf Investigations, searches of intrigue, information and wonders. But you may call me Fallon." There was an exhale, lips pulling back into a wolfish grin, "And it sounds like you need my services... I do like a good mystery, do you?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2111
Words: 2247042
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
Power Fork (1)

Spirit In the Night

Postby Ricky Maze on April 4th, 2015, 4:51 am

Image
Ricky's own ears perked just a bit as he couldn't help the natural croon with his head, the sudden turn of curiosity sparked in his mind that led him to wonder even further about this sudden stranger. Her words couldn't ever rang anymore truth within the resounding meaning they held, a strong sense of awareness rooted within as he took to heart in understanding. Many places weren't without issues such as this and it wasn't so foolish to blindly sweep them under the rug, but where as people could resolve these issues instead that proved even more interesting. People like Ricky and this stranger here that looked rather promising, if anything it were the ones like them that could get things done when their minds were set, and it was people like this that the city needed in order to restore it to its former glory. With the expressed concern of investigating where the man was found the idea somehow came across as bold to the woman, a bit of a smile cracked his lips as what she had to say lent him a matter of perspective at the matter. She had been correct, the questions she had asked were ones he hardly had the ability to answer.

Then again there were several answers he could choose from, but what made it hard was the right ones to go with. How recent is the evidence of the drugs, or the smuggling? Both? There had to be a bit of interpretation put in there before he could conjure up the proper words, but before he did so he further listened to what she had to say. "Aye," He nodded in agreement, "catchin' 'em off guard would definitely be a more profitable breakthrough. We'd not only stop t'eir operation but probably flush 'em out de city fer good, granted Zeltiva dun take t' kindly t' smugglers. So we best look about an' see if we can't get a lead." He rose to his feet then as the idea of taking action pleased him even more, he had started to feel rather impatient with this sitting around, since it wasn't really going to produce any real results any faster than what this woman might be able to provide.

He laughed a bit at the talk of a good mystery before he accepted the hand, a firm shake to follow before he added his own bit into the comment. "Always had t'ing fer de thrill o' investigatin'! Ricky Maze is de name, no real fancy way t' put it so just call me Ricky." He noted to hopefully bring forth a hint of better amusement. "Scarred Wolf Investigations. Has t' be a new t'ing cause Oi've never heard o' such a t'ing even outside o' Zeltiva." He pointed out as a test to see how recent this might actually be, really he already narrowed it down to either organization or faction. Granted factions were generally large they tended to thrive better on reputation, but he still had to pry in himself before he could assume either one of these things.

"While it's good t' know yer willin' t' provide yer services, Oi myself would like t' see how handy d'ey come in. Maybe wit' a bit o' a partnership we can git t' de bottom o' dis, an' bring de criminals involved t' de justice d'ey deserve." He reasoned with hopes that the idea seemed agreeable, hope burned lively behind his eyes as he felt things were already becoming promising. "De only t'ing d'is man had on 'im was de shoes an' his bag, an' judgin' by de powder found on de paper Oi'd say he's been dealin' wit' d'is stuff fer a while. Can't say how long, but Oi'd like t' t'ink it fairly recent." He guessed as he held a hand out towards the personal belongings on the bedside table, his eyes then locked on Fallon as he tilted his head a little to the right. "What d' ya t'ink yer self?" He inquired with interest as his hands dipped into his pockets, he paid close attention to any thoughts or ideas she then had to share.
Image
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Image
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
User avatar
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"
 
Posts: 2397
Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Location: Nyka -> Wildlands -> Syliras
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Spirit In the Night

Postby Fallon on April 6th, 2015, 9:52 am

Image

The squeeze of the hand was all she gave in the shake, her own firm and clasping before she withdrew. After that both simply came behind her clasping tightly within the leathers. Her fingers continued their wriggling, the smallest patter as she looked down once more to the sleeping man. Still, he seemed to take in what she said - even if there was a distinctive feeling he was still looking at the idea through rose tinted glasses. There was nothing fair in the art of love or war, and while busting a potential smuggling unit may not have held the same grandeur the principles still were the same; it would rise up, snake its way to the top unless destroyed once and for all. A poison that would not be eradicated with a mere skirmish.

"Perhaps. Though, I prefer in cutting the head off the snake," She merely tilted her head, eyes meeting and solidifying, "Do that and the body dies." Letting the words hand she moved onwards, hearing the man rise as she took up the small folded pouch of powder. She twirled it between her thumb and forefinger, considering for a moment - a drug? Powdered definitely? Did that suggest inhalation, or snorting of it? Or perhaps consumption and placing on the tongue. Her lykata gave a prickle beneath, the hinting nag for her to use it to grant some clues on the situation.

"How astute of you. It is new, so I'm not surprised. Let's just say I'm not officially open until the twentieth, but merely taking my time doing some groundwork," Her voice purred, lips pulling back into that wolfish flash before dying down once more behind a neutral, calm, face. With a exhale she lowered the small package down and begun tugging at her gloves, "Sometimes, the best information can be found with the victim and most immediate places. So I am going to ask you some questions, and you are going to answer. Sound fair? Good," she tucked them into her belt then, bare hands tingling in the air. With a bow down she took up the shoes and studied their soles, before speaking slowly, "Where did you find him? How long ago?" Her fingers brushed across the surface, tips taking up a thin layer of dirt before she placed them down once more. She moved to the knife then, eyes staring at the blunted edge and catching the faint tracings of white powder running across it, "How long would you say he was there for?"

She fell silent after that, a low hum trembling from her lips as she tapped into her Lykata. Her turning of the knife froze, her eyes momentarily glazing over and the world dipping down to muted tones. It was slower, an inhale as she focused herself, thumb running across the blunt edge, dragging as she did.

Laughter. Loud. Boisterous. Echoing around the wood. Salt. Powder. The gulls were laughing too. Excitement, the thrill, it was here! The thumb paused, Ready, it was ready. Finally could get it. Just had to get there. There. Where? White painted wood, large door but peeling. Close. Just had to get there, get to the docks. Fallon's eyes blinked, her head shaking as she found herself being forcefully removed from the situation. Pinching her brow she lowered it down, gathering her bearings as she found herself again. Her glance looked down to the boots, a frown growing on her face, "Mud in Zeltiva seems... strange. Isn't most of it pave or stone?" There was a wince as the reading seared its way back through her mind, feeding and repeating. There was a few moments before she moved onto the powder package, "Docks. They will probably be a good place to start, as would where you found him. Perhaps back tract from his position and along. Yes. There first."

She gave a squint at the package and looked to focus herself once more, teeth coming together to clench. The Lykata prickled, twitching and throbbing as she poured upon it once more, air being exhaled as she felt it ripple back at her subconscious. Here, here. Gathered, crated. Stored. Large. Somewhere big. Under the nose. Not suspected. Never know, never know. Going to try more. More. More.

With a lick of lips she spoke, slowly placing down the parcel once more. Content for now with what she had seen, Fallon begun to tug on her gloves once more, "What do I think? Well, I am not a judge of character. Nor is the character important at this present time," She looked at him, "We cannot dissect it and must look to other options of information." With a quick glance to the man she moved out and away from the belongings, a flicker of thought filling her gaze before at last she spoke, "Does Zeltiva have storage buildings?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2111
Words: 2247042
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
Power Fork (1)

Spirit In the Night

Postby Ricky Maze on April 14th, 2015, 6:52 am

Image
The comparison of this problem to that of a snake certainly brought out more awareness in Ricky, as he quickly surmised that this woman Fallon indeed knew well the best way to end such problematic occurrences. Had he taken on this difficult task alone then he surely wouldn't have the extra brain power the lady could offer, and he certainly wouldn't have as much of a confident start than he felt he had now. And it seemed his observations were starting to pay off, granted she'd come to use the term "astute" in regards to her new business. Of course he couldn't really tell off hand whether or not she really had been impressed, or if the grin she flashed merely provided a casual sense of amusement. Really he had started to feel as though he were trying to read into her too much, even if she didn't seem entirely foreign to the city she still had something about her she carried well. Attitude perhaps? Demeanor even? She had certainly done a fascinating job on leaving an impression, and now all that remained was the matter of testing her abilities. Well hers and his as well, granted they were both going to investigate this matter.

"Aye." He agreed to the easy terms of the quick interrogative period, it would after all serve well to reflect upon the situation when Ricky first found him. "Oi was on me way home when Oi found him nearly a bell ago, it was on East Street almost nearby de Denvali Quarter in fact." He thought more about how long the man could've been there, granted the dehydration factor seemed quite serious it had to be a least a while. "Oi can't say fer sure but Oi'd give it almost two bells tops d'at he'd been like d'at on his own." He estimated with an intensely concentrated stare at the body, of course he noticed how silent Fallon had become as she seemed caught in a trance. He watched her face at first as she seemed lost in a world of thought, but as his eyes diverted they fell to where her hand had been located. A had been found there, a gilded mark no less that brought a furrow to his brow as interest suddenly peaked. Did Fallon have a gnosis? Was it something that would help make this investigation easier? He didn't dare disturb her to find out, but rather let things play out to see on his own.

Finally when she seemed to break out of her shell of silence she had already broke with a question, a rather valid and interesting point made considering the geography and structure of the city. "Aye, mud isn't all too common unless it's a walk t'rough personal property, an' only a few places 'ave such soil located on t'eir land." After that she then named a place of interest to check, which it so happened to be the docks which hardly surprised Ricky any. If there had been anything learned it was that a lot of drugs, particularly new ones, were smuggled into the city from the docks and done so quietly. So from the point of where this man had been found all the way to the docks, that gave them at least a general idea of the area to search. Therefore they had a decent place to start at least, all that remained was to investigate all possible avenues they found. With the amount she had to share he had to agree any and all other options were the better, yet the last question about storage buildings had actually surprised Ricky. "Yeah actually, t'ere's a lot o' storage units found in Zeltiva. Particularly between de Sailor's Quarter an' West Street..." Somehow he began to wonder about the last time he'd investigated in a matter similar to this, the situation had been the same though the circumstances a little different.

He had certainly hoped nothing of the sort would go down like tonight like they did in his last encounter of course, he had certainly had enough experience in uprooting smuggling operations within the city to know it wouldn't end well. Tonight though could be different granted he knew better, held enough wisdom to approach the situation more cautiously than before. It won't go down de same way it did before. It won't. He reminded himself as he glanced down at the mark on his right hand, his attention quickly returned to Fallon after he recollected his other thoughts. "Oi dunno fer sure but Oi remember where an ol abandoned warehouse is, before we investigate d'at t'ough Oi'd like it if we checked all other places first. It'd definitely be best if we gather more information on where d'is drug source is stored before we go pillagin' storage sights." He remarked with arms crossed as he figured the suggestion would seem admirable, plus he liked the idea Fallon had with starting from point A to point B in this investigation.
Image
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Image
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
User avatar
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"
 
Posts: 2397
Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Location: Nyka -> Wildlands -> Syliras
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Spirit In the Night

Postby Fallon on April 16th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Image

Ricky answered thankfully, which allowed Fallon her further gentle probing around the man in question. She had paused at his feet now, looking down the length of him as she considered what she did know over what she did not. Of course, she had the small snippets here and there that were coming in, a local who knew Zeltiva better than she ever would - at least, that's what she figured he was. She would be surprised if it was not the case - the dialect suggested he was. The gloved hands gave a rub against her jaw, the look down to the feet - knobbly and bony, if not curled inwards naturally. With a glance back to the shoes she mentally compared the size, and shrugged - too small perhaps? Always stuck in small shoes and unable to buy bigger - a lower class member of the city perhaps? It certainly made her consider building up a mental profile of the unconscious. She licked her lips then, a slow purr of thought coming forth, "So, three bells. More or less. Meaning he would have first collapsed around the eighteenth bell or so. Would have just been turning to night, just about when the docks start to settle down for the night. Trade unloading stops just before I think... Slip docks with slopes. Perhaps...?"

With a shake of the head she pushed the thought away, her eyes looking to Ricky once more. It was only with a slow hum she considered what he had said, weighing up her thoughts again, "Very well. If that is what you recommend. I have a feeling we may want to think about being quick on it however." It was with a turn and final gathering of her hands at the base of her spine. It was there the knuckles gently rapped there against the kukri sheath, a step away as she gave a nod towards the exit, "Come, lead on. I do not know the way so I'll be following behind. Start with where you found him, then we'll work backwards."

Feet gave their pads against the floor as they made their leave into the night, her eyes looking ahead and past - orbs giving the blink and the Lykata now having been returned under her glove. Safe, no one had to know, nor did they ask questions - just as she liked it. Such things, she reasoned as she gave a step towards the general direction of the Denval Quarter and onwards. And it was during this time that Fallon slowly spoke, "So, how long have you lived here then Ricky - if you do not mind me asking that is. Pure local?" Her eyes gave a glance around then, a brief pause as she drunk in the features of this particular street and glanced back over her shoulder, "Surprised you're not in the guard. I mean, right morale, wanting to do the right thing, so on and so forth." She cocked an eyebrow at him then, "Besides, isn't it their jurisdiction to try and stop things like this from happening in the first place?"

She looked him up and down, her mind trying to work out exactly who he was. Or what he was for that matter, he had only given her a name - and while that was good it did not tell her a lot about him. Experience, prowess in the field, anyone could think but it took other skills to act upon it. And what if the situation turned sour - could he hold his own? Or would she have to put her neck out? This was not Sunberth, it made her wonder exactly on how green people were in the city. And the words from Egyptus seasons ago did nothing to calm her nerves on the thought - they were weak.

How weak? Weaker than Sunberth? Would they all shy away at the tiny sight of blood, paint themselves with badges and honours to believe themselves better? Fallon shuddered at the thought, "So... this warehouse you were on about. Been there before for things?" She asked innocently, "Or is it just a city mystery, never touched and always discouraged to go near?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2111
Words: 2247042
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
Power Fork (1)

Spirit In the Night

Postby Ricky Maze on April 21st, 2015, 5:44 am

Image
Ricky paid close attention to her piecing together of the clues that were at hand, from what she gathered it sounded as though the guy had finished his usual business with work, then from there went on to do whatever other business he had. That 'business' of course being what brought him to his current condition of course, though that still left quite a bit open to interpret as of now. "Aye, would've had t' take a detour t' avoid most o' de common folk." He agreed with the thought in mind to the usual activity found around that time of the day, most of the locals were usually still out finishing their daily tasks around that time, though a lot would be going home as well. He actually came to appreciate her willingness to go along with his suggestion shortly after too, seeing as how it would serve to investigate from the point he was found to the place he might've guessed suspicious. There weren't any clues or hints that lead to it yet, aside from Fallon's own mentioning of it through her strange vision of hers. Ricky hadn't quite guessed at what it was her mark could do, if it were in fact a Gnosis like he guessed it were.

Whether it was clairvoyance or information given through touch remained out of the question though, for now the important task was to locate where the man had been in these past several bells, and then they were to find out where he obtained his fix so they could eradicate the operation by any means necessary. "Very well, won't be t' long before we 're d'ere." He assured her with a compliant nod to follow, a quick stride forward happened so that they moved onward. Somehow he felt good finally stepping out of the room he'd trapped himself in, the answers that remained out of his reach somehow tangibly within reach now. He hadn't honestly thought much on it up until this point, but it nearly felt as though he were doing his part for Zeltiva once again. Yet he didn't don the garb of the Guard, not this time anyways, still that didn't keep him from the thought of enjoying the old time duties he once swore to uphold during those days. "Heh, Oi'm about as loca as d'ey come lass. Born an' raised 'ere in Zeltiva, t'ough Oi'll admit Oi 'ave left a couple o' times." He answered willingly seeing as how they were going to be partners after all, and then fate had the sense of irony in their conversation shortly afterwards when she pointed out the Guard.

"Well t' be honest Oi used t' be." He took a moment to think about it, and the weight the phrase must've held when he said it. "Don't git me wrong, it is more or less t'eir jurisdiction... but even when Oi was a guard Oi never could sit still, not when it came t' pokin' me nose in t'ings like d'is. Guess every 'right morale' kind o' guy like me needs a break every once in a while." He surmised with a slight shake of the head, admittedly he pretty much shared the fact he proved to be impulsive in these kind of situations. Which of course was a true statement nonetheless, the fact he could see it and admit though, proved he actually spent more time thinking about the Wave Guard than usual. "Rest assured t'ough, Oi'm rather good wit' a blade. Plus Oi've a couple o' other tricks up me sleeve, ones Oi'll save fer a rainy day fer sure." He added with a slight chuckle before he looked over to her, he wondered if she could hold her own as well. Since they were going to look for trouble together it would be a good idea to know for sure, although she looked tough enough to handle her own affairs. "Ye must've done other jobs t'at involved weaponry, were d'ey dangerous like d'is one we're on? Or worse?" He inquired as he returned his gaze to the street ahead, they were past the Denvali Quarter and well into the reaches of East Street.

As they moved on Fallon then seemed to ask about the warehouse that they were to investigate last, that is if all the clues lead to the one Ricky's hunch was on before the end of all this. As he started to answer the optimism in his expression dimmed just a little, and a grave seriousness developed in his tone. "Well... Oi've certainly been t'ere before, not a good place t' go back t' d'at's fer sure. Let's just say if history serves as an example, d'is wouldn't be de first smugglin' group found d'ere." He finished as they arrived to the spot where he found the drugged up individual, the spot where he laid now vacant save for the traces of crates, barrels, and trash found within the alley. "Hm. D'is is de spot 'ere, t'ough Oi've not memory on what else was 'ere." He crossed his arms then as he looked at the wall where the man rested against, traces of powder were found on the stone floor upon closer observation. The fisherman hummed a bit as he looked around, a few light traces of mud imprints seemed to come from further within the alleyway. "Well ye were roi about one t'ing, we come 'ere d'en we'll find clues. Hopefully enough t' lead us directly t' de source." He reassured himself with a glance down to his right hand, and sure enough within just a moment he felt confident in their cause.
Image
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Image
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
User avatar
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"
 
Posts: 2397
Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Location: Nyka -> Wildlands -> Syliras
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Spirit In the Night

Postby Fallon on April 25th, 2015, 9:03 am

Image

Fallon sent herself into silence, merely working through her thoughts as she considered his words and filed them carefully within her mind. Was a guard, did he leave? Willingly or not so? Or was it a lie? Was he still an official in disguise, merely there to serve in secret? Or had he surrendered his power for the moment? Her tongue gave the smallest drag across her lips, her gaze turning forward as Ricky continued his talking - happily chattering away and passing out information. Some information she had not asked for, but it was given regardless - local but left a few times. She looked to the back of him as she followed, pausing occasionally to check their direction and place within the city. Dark, quiet, she could hear the waves slightly louder now. Her head gave a tilt to the side, a low hum as she caught the snippet of the crashing water between the buildings in the darkness. The sea was nearby, though, that much she gathered as she kept walking between the streets.

His statement however on being good with the blade did nothing to quell her thoughts - until she saw the evidence herself it was nothing more than bravado and words. She had long since thrown away the naivety of completely believing words for a while now. Still, he continued onwards leading himself onwards - strapping the heart onto his sleeve and diving into the unknown. It seemed to him that the world was rosy tinted to him, perfect and capable of strapping on the gilded armour and playing hero. Her lip gave a small twitch, the heavy burn flaring within her mind as she let the slither of poison fill her senses until she mentally pushed the sensation down. A fool for playing hero, they never win without a cost - a price must always be paid, an equivalent exchange. Her mind keened itself, a slowed blink as she burned her eyes ahead and watched the man. Gaze flickering around his visage, catching the shape of the sword on his belt as she solidified the notions within her mind, "Hope you do not have to put your money where your mouth is."

She gave no immediate comment to the subject of working before in such a position, her eyes flickering about as she spied upon the Denvali Quarter that greeted them. It was not his business for one, her work was her work and to answer with a yes would only breed curiosity upon the subject - a wonderment on the exact nature of her work. Smuggling busts, slaver rings, infiltration, hacking and slashing through soft flesh and fragile bones. Her fingers felt sticky then, a deep inhale as she sensation gripped the digits and sunk to the sensation of dried blood - it would never come off no matter how hard she scrubbed. Her voice purred an answer, a slither of a warning not to ask any further within the tones, "I believe in client confidentiality," her gaze swept to him then, sharp and growing cooled, "Just know that I will perform and do as necessary. Nothing more, nothing less."

The less he knew, the better - and she stuck to that code. Last thing she needed was a leak back to Sunberth. Business names was one thing, but the exact nature of such things and the sharing of them would be troublesome to share. Still, she had a mental description of Ricky being built up in her mind now - and while neither good or bad it was indeed information. Her mind flickered back briefly to a past conversation with Zandelia - she had mentioned a Ricky, was this the same person or someone else entirely? It was not exactly an unusual name, leaving the potential that it could also belong to others. She would have to investigate further on that matter, perhaps ask the woman herself for more information and on whether or not he could be trusted with more sensitive matters.

Her ears twitched to Ricky's knowledge on the place, the flicker of suspicion rising up within which caused her only to raise a single eyebrow. He knew of other smuggling groups and was once a guard? So why were they not looking at previously hit locations? Why were they not drawing up lists and referencing them off already? Though, the alleyway may provide some answers to the direction to go, what if it was not enough?

With a sigh at their arrival, Fallon took a step past the man her form hunching over for a closer inspection of what was there. The prints were for one, her fingers tracing around the faint outline of the shape in the gloom, her gaze then moved up then to the walls, the gloved hand stroking the surface with thought. There was a scent here, lingering just beyond but that was not her immediate concern right now. It was with a sigh that she gave a tug upon her gloves, kneeling down properly to squint at the ground. Feet gave the tentative tap, toes gently clinking and clunking against something. The bare hand gently reached down to pick whatever it was up, raising it into the low light for a closer inspection. Glass, it looked like a vial with a metal stopper at the top - the lingering residue of powder pushed in and around the rim. The bare fingers of her left hand gave it a twirl, her mind tuning out into a static hum as she focused upon it. The Lykata gave a twitch, trembling as she focused it; fog of the mind lifting.

Sniff, snort, inhale. Give it a lick. Give it a taste. her head gave a tilt to the side then, eyes narrowed down, lips parting as she heard the mumblings, This way, that way. Get the fix. Those little alleyways down. Too much. So much. Stumbling back, got to get home from... Dropped. She blinked, and offered the vial up Ricky to take and inspect, "Here. What do you think of this?" The rest of her stood at that point, her hand shifting to stroke along the wall with thought, "Familiar to you at all?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2111
Words: 2247042
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
Power Fork (1)

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests