PM to join Go with Your Fate

Dravite tours the busy market place of Endrykas not sure of what he will find.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Go with Your Fate

Postby Dravite on April 24th, 2015, 11:56 pm

2 Spring, 515 AV
Morning

Today marks the second day of spring in Endrykas in which the people embark on a grand elk hunt with teams and individuals all stalking across country in search of the king buck. Dravite waved goodbye to a handful of the Windborne warriors, both male and female who seeked to try their luck at hunting while sharpening their weapon skills with some of the elders attending.

His pavilion had arrived late last night to the city of tents. Belkaia, Dravites wife, was still rubbing the sleep from her eyes when he had slipped away at first light with their three year old son, Kyanite to see off the hunting party. His thin little legs hung over Dravite's shoulders, heels pressed into the sunned flesh of the man's chest while his fingers remained glued to the warrior's temple, sticking like frog digits to the bark of a tall tree.

The pavilions business in Endrykas on this occasion was to stock up and celebrate the Feast of Life before navigating the Sea of Grass again to return to the life members of the Emerald Clan knew best, that of the hunt. Now that Dravite was grown and had started his own family, he must provide for them just as his saw fit that he made it this far. Dravite couldn’t follow the Windborne pavilion forever, believing that leadership would be passed to his friend Bel-ha Tir, and though no one had said anything yet, he felt it in his bones, that ache for adventure; the kind that had seen him in trouble more often than not growing up.

With bare feet and weathered black pants he strolled through the maze of busy market stalls, smiling at faces he recognised and averting his gaze for those he did not. Kyanite would pipe up with the occasional, “Look, look!” whenever he spotted a caged animal or roaming stray. Just like his father had been as a child, he was fascinated by the world and all things living. Dravite got down on one knee to let him squeeze his chubby little fingers through the bars of a wooden crate to pet a long, lanky grey hare who stomped his foot in an attempt to intimidate the strange limb coming towards him.

Fearlessness in a child so young isn’t abnormal in Drykas culture, but what kind of father would Dravite be, he asked himself, if he did not preach caution? “He might bite,” the tall Drykas man warn his son, to which Kyanite merely smiled. ’Let him go with his fate’, Dravite's father used to tell his mother, ’he will learn’ .

Dravite always got a few strange looks in the marketplace. Drykas are not known to sport facial hair, but being as defiant as his father, Dravite hadn't been able to wait to sprout his own tidy beard and the longer he kept it, the more accustomed his kin had grown to the light smattering of sand-toned stubble. It seemed to roll in and out of fashion from one generation to the next as all things do, hair, clothing, pets; at the end of the day as long as people were true to themselves and don’t step on too many toes, he couldn't see the problem with it.

When the pair happened across the stall Dravite had been seeking, his his mother he smiled to the keeper before walking past to the next stall. Bartering is a way of life here, but his ability to haggle was little to none having spent most of his life out in the Sea of Grass. The pavilion only tended to visit Endrykas twice in a good year, more so if times were hard or the weather was unrelenting. Dravite, however, had a theory. If he were to act interested in another man’s gear, but say that it wasn’t quite what he was looking for, perhaps the salesman next door would spot a chance at a sale and try to convince him to buy his goods at a more favourable price. It was a longshot, but stranger things had happened.

He touched with folded finger his hand to his brow and greeted the young woman behind the stall, most of her wares were short bladed weapons, more decorative than deadly. “I’m looking for a hatchet,” he told her and watched the woman’s gaze drift over the table of her stall slowly before she returned her attention to him.
“My brother sells small blades and axes; he is on the other side of the market place near the Emerald Clan encampment.”
“You don’t have anything here?” Dravite asked, raising his voice a little this time to make sure the man at the next stall heard. “It’s such a long way to walk.”
“Maybe I can help you?” The elderly Drykas man finally spoke up, perhaps he was just hard of hearing.

Dravite looked to the girl he had been dealing with who shrugged him off to get back to her threading. Kyanite watched from on top of his father's shoulders, seemingly mesmerised by the woman’s quick moving fingers. Dravite moved round to chat with the old man; his stall decorated with fine weapons and stuffed animals with glass eyes, frozen in their death poses. “A hatchet,” he said to the elderly man who looked to have seen about fifty summers, “Do you have any?”
“Of course, of course, are you looking for anything in particular?”
“Just something that will do the job, sharp,” Dravite smiled; it must be sharp.

The old man scratched around under a sheet of leather below the table and presented a fine hatchet to Dravite who took the hatchet from him and tested its point on the tip of his own finger before brushing the edge over his forearm carefully. “Two gold mizas,” he chirps as a few bronze hairs fell away from Dravite's arm.

He noticed the woman from the first stall smile and knew without the subtle manipulation of her features that he was the one being had. Dravite laughed out loud and Kyanite jumped a little, not expecting the sudden bout of laughter. “Two gold mizas? I think I’ll take that walk after all.”

Dravite put the hatchet down on the table and turned away from the stall with not so much as a glance over his shoulder, even as the man called after him “One gold miza!”
“Father be reasonable,” the young woman he had spoken with earlier said, “or you will never make a sale.”

Slowly Dravite turned to smile at her before going back to the man with his offer. “Half a gold miza and you have a deal.”
He puffed his chest, folded his arms and shook his head stubbornly. “No, no, too little.”
“Six silver miza or I walk,” the price was fair and about as good as anyone would get anywhere. Dravite had tried his luck, but this time it hadn’t done him much good.
The old man thought about it for a few long seconds and then held his hand out to shake that of Dravite's, “Six silver, you have a deal.”

The morning had been eventful and after an hour in the marketplace Dravite was sporting a new hatchet and steel dagger on a fine leather belt. An expensive Hunter / Trapper toolkit was folded under his left arm, while under the right he held a new water-skin and additive. Belkaia gave him 'the look' when he got back, the type all women seemed to master at some stage in life, one that says without words ‘husband, you have been spending all our hard-earned money again, you best make it back’.

The wild, willowy brunette took the load from his arms to store with the rest of their things before raising her hands to take Kyanite from Dravite's shoulders. “We should go pray,” he whispered to his wife, thankful that they had made it to Endrykas in one piece and that their boy had seen his third birthday yesterday without too much grief.
“You, my love, should go hunting with the rest, the Gods are demand sacrifice, not whispered words.”
“The hunting party has an hours head-start on me,” Dravite said as if surprised she would suggest he go after them alone.
“But you have a nose as sharp as a dog’s, and feet as swift as the north wind.”
“There is nothing swift about these old leathery things,” he laughed, brushing his hardened feet against the dry grass.
“I meant your Strider, take Cree. Perhaps you will find someone else to go with you.”

Instantly he thought of his friend and clan mate Bel, if there was an adventure to be had, he was always happy to tag along, that or Dravite was getting very good at twisting his arm. The couple didn’t share any more words after that as Belkaia had a fondness for saying with her eyes what she would not with her tongue; they told Dravite to go.

He put on his leather boots and made sure Cree’s yvas was not too tight before setting off. Dravite had decided to take his new hatchet, steel dagger and the old bone-spear that had belonged to his father along for the hunt. He probably wouldn’t be taking down any giant elk today, but even a rabbit for supper was better than none. Before leaving he would pray, both for the good fortune his pavilion had experienced in the last season and the hunt ahead of him, but first he had to find out where.

Last edited by Dravite on June 4th, 2015, 10:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
Dravite
Ra’athi of The Watch Troha to Tavehk

Words: 775240
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
2015 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Go with Your Fate

Postby Mahaleth on April 26th, 2015, 8:12 am

2 Spring, 515 AV
Morning

The Endrykas in spring is a beautiful thing to behold. Everyone dresses up, people pray and thank the gods for another year of bounty. The stink cloud of accumulated human and horse waste really put Bel-ha Tir in a praying kind of mood. This year he spent last night and much of the early morning in a pub, with three other men and an old emaciated drunk snoring under the tables; Bel in a few years.

“That’s a nine.”
The man named Javira put down another card.
“That’s another nine,” Bel said. “That’s eighteen.”
Javira glowered at Bel, who had taken on a condescending tone, as if suggesting that Javira couldn't count.
“Hit me again," Bel said, and Javira wished he could. But Bel-ha Tir was the son of an Ankal, the esteemed Bel-ha Ur, and it was the Feast of Spring. So Javira dropped another card instead. An Ankal.
Javira laughed.
Portraits had never been Bel's best game. "Shit," he hissed. Mareeya wasn't going to like this.
“Shit, shit, shit.”
Bel didn't like this. Earlier that morning he bought himself two new throwing axes and a clever little knife that he could slip into his sleeve. Mareeya liked to say that if Bel kept up his spending and his gambling and his drinking, they'd end up having to eat his Strider, Dreamer. And Bel usually joked that the mare was the only one in the whole Sea of Grass that ever really understood him.

“Pay me, Windborne,” Javira laughed. He was as large and as well fed as the prized Strider of Bel's Ankal and twice as smelly. Like a horse's ass.

Bel used to love the Feast of Life when he was younger. It meant colors and people and life, and his favorite dancers on the stage, and food. So much food after the sixth day. And Bel's father, cheerful as anything, taking Bel into his arms and ruffling Bel's hair and letting Bel have a sip of his drink, and another and another until little Bel was drunk. Bel-ha Ur thought it was the funniest thing, and so did Bel-ha Tir's sisters, and so did Bel-ha Tir, when he stumbled into everything and sang his little boy lungs out.

But that was before. Now he doesn’t think it’s so funny. But it was hilarious to Bel-ha Tir when he asked Javira if he had been licking his Strider's ass lately. Enraged and drunk, Javira swung his fist at Bel. Bel ducked, Javira missed and tumbled into a table, and Bel feeling like the best warrior in all of Mizahar roared with so much raucous laughter that he didn't notice Javira get up and break off one of Bel's teeth.

It wasn't so funny, then.

Bel tackled Javira to the ground and Javira fell, making the ground shake as if his enourmous body were made of lumber. Their heads knocked together, making Bel's skull shake and his teeth clack together. Fists flew blindly, dust flew up into their mouths, and a small crowd gathered over them. Women screamed at them to stop, men jeered at them and goaded them on. Then, in the middle of the noise, Bel felt someone pull on the back of his already threadbare shirt and his body rising away from the battle-bruised Javire. Before Bel could fully find his feet, he and Dravite were off at a run through Endrykas, still fleet-footed young boys up to no good.

LedgerThrowing Axe (2): 16 gm. Small knife: 1 gm. Ale (gallon): 2sm

Last edited by Mahaleth on April 27th, 2015, 2:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Played by: M.D.
Character Model: Lucas Kittel
Mahaleth
Pretty, pretty Palomino.

Words: 28151
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:54 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Go with Your Fate

Postby Dravite on April 26th, 2015, 10:19 am

“No one but the gods will put me on my knees for I am Windborne,” these words Dravite mouthed in front of the makeshift shrine the Emerald Clan has erected for the Feast of Life. He popped the skin on the pad of his left forefinger with the tip of his new steel dagger to draw blood, a line for each of the gods he worshiped brushed across his chest in blood.

“Zulrav of storms, Semele the mother, Caiyha the first Witch,” his lips knew their names better than the shape of his lover’s mouth, “Thank you for the new tide, the health of my kin, and the wealth of the plain this spring. Guide my spear so that I may protect my blood and feed my people this night and each night until my body is returned to the earth.” He bowed forward and kissed the feet of the wooden statue carved in the image of Caiyha and scattered a dash of yellow wild-flower petals into the burning plate set in her hands before getting to his feet.

The air was thick with rich, pleasant smelling scents, burning spices and oils from near and far. His gaze lingered on the hotplate for a time while his mind was far away, thinking of the hunt ahead of him. It is nothing to spend a whole day under the sun and return empty handed, for such is the life Drykas choose and he would have it no other way. Fasting wasn’t easy, not when the thought of the feast to come weighed heavy on his mind. Silently he promised the gods that his first kill this spring would be dedicated to them and his mouth watered at the thought of spearing a rabbit, fat from eating the fresh spring grass.

Finding Bel-ha Tir was too easy, breaking him out of his current predicament, however, proved a bit more of a challenge. He was drinking again, gambling the little he had away; not on Dravite's watch. He got Bel-ha Tir out of there by the scruff of his shirt and said not a word until they were on the outskirts of the Endrykas encampment where Dravite had readied both there striders and left them tied up. Cree (Dravite's buckskin stallion) was growing impatient and didn’t appreciate being parked next to Bel’s palomino mare (Dreamer), who had a fondness for nipping at his legs and shoulder playfully. “We’re going hunting,” he told Bel-ha Tir, “A good ride will help sober you up.”

Bel didn’t have to say anything or try to explain himself, his actions back at the drinking tent weren’t out of character; they had been friends a long time, since before either of them could speak and even though both of them didn’t like to admit it, Dravite knew Bel better than most, just as Bel knew Dravite. “The hunting party this morning went towards the coast, I say we head inland and see if we can’t find a nice young buck to take down.”

If they could find a small water source they might be in luck and Dravite could have sworn he had spotted one on the way into Endrykas last night where he had felt his striders hooves skin into the ground a few inches, though it is hard to tell when traveling by moonlight. Water meant animals, predators and prey; they would hang back, watch and wait, pick off the weak and take only what they needed, just as Windborne and the Emerald Clan, and the gods before them had taught them.

Dravite put his leg up over Cree and watched Bel-ha Tir struggle drunkenly with his mare. He found it hard not to smile but seemed to have found the strength to keep a straight face, especially seen as he had managed to pull Bel out of a sticky situation that might just land himself in as much trouble as Bel may have gotten himself into. Perhaps he would remind his friend after that hunt that it was better to settle a debt sooner rather than later, for a life of looking over ones shoulder was no life at all.

Their striders were swift and horse riding competent. Cree was just as driven and competitive as Dravite was, tossing his head like a young colt and giving a stray buck whenever Dreamer managed to get slightly ahead of him, and more often than not she did just that. Dravite kept a vigilant eye on the plains and glanced over his shoulder every now and then to see that they were not being followed by anyone else from the rough-and-ready tavern. Satisfied that the way behind and ahead was clear, he let Cree take charge, leaning closer to his form so that the two of them could cut through the breeze like a hawk diving towards earth out of an endless blue sky, that even now it was spring still threatened them with the odd light shower; a few heavy looking clouds ahead.

Dravite pointed to the spot he thought he had seen the waterhole last night, his father’s bone-spear clasped tightly in his other hand. “See any elk or deer? I’ll settle for a fat rabbit,” he called to Bel-ha Tir with a laugh, who had always been a better hunter, and awaited his friend's opinion or command.
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Go with Your Fate

Postby Mahaleth on April 27th, 2015, 3:12 am

“I would love,” Bel said, panting when he finally managed to climb up on Dreamer’s back, “to take down a nice, young buck. Perhaps to my tent tonight, if Mareeya doesn’t mind sleeping outside again.” He patted the Strider’s haunches, muttered to it in quick, glottal Pavi. The mare nickered back, and then made a laughing noise. Bel grinned, patted her roughly on her haunches, and sped off while Dravite and Cree lagged behind, Dravite looking over his shoulder as if expecting an arrow to materialize there. Wouldn't be the first time.

The tents of Endrykas grew smaller and smaller the farther away Dreamer carried Bel. The farther they were, the better Bel felt, even though he felt like his insides were bubbling over with ale and it was trying to escape through his mouth. At least the air out there was better, wider. Bel slowed down when Cree and Dravite caught up. Bel might have been drunk, but he could have sworn that the old horse gave him disapproving looks, the same kind Bel’s father gave him. Bel had to laugh. This felt good: the wind in his hair, and the taste of fresh dirt in his mouth.

Bel rode with his hands loose on the yvas, trusting Dreamer and the wind to take him where he was meant to go. Farther and farther and farther away, out to the ocean, maybe to find his mother with her golden hair and her sapphire eyes. To ask her: what is the sound of a free heart?

Dravite’s voice brought him back. “I’ll settle for a fat rabbit!”
Bel shook his head. He had been dreaming. He was drunk. He grinned. “You’re a fat rabbit,” he called. He leaned forward so that Dreamer would gallop faster and catch up with Cree, and Dreamer was all too happy to comply. Every now and then she even tried to nip at his tail. Bel was confident Cree would kick Dreamer in the face one day.

“We’ll stop a few yards by some water,” Bel said over the wind. “We might find some game nearby. And,” he muttered, under his breath, “I need a drink.”

When they did come across a shallow pond, Bel hopped off of Dreamer and dipped his head under the water. It stayed there for some time, bubbles rising to the surface, until Bel resurfaced for air, his hair dripping wet and Bel feeling a little more sober. The taste of iron was in his mouth. He just noticed the gap where his tooth had been, and the soft spot that had replaced it. He blinked away water, rubbed his palms into his face, and refilled his waterskin. It was then that he noticed a brown smear on his right knee: a fresh mound of deer shit. Hunting was the only time Bel was ever happy to see shit, and he saw shit all the time. Great, giant, steaming piles of it.

“Look at that, Windborne,” Bel, pointing at his knee, said to Dravite. “Looks like we’ll have something to feed your gods tonight after all.”

Mahaleth
Pretty, pretty Palomino.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Go with Your Fate

Postby Dravite on April 27th, 2015, 4:49 am

Dravite smirked from on top of his horse; Bel-ha Tir looked rather cocky for someone who had just had his tooth knocked out. He could already imagine the accusing looks Bel’s wife would shoot at him and the interrogation that would follow. ‘What have you done to my husband, Windborne?!’ Thankfully, on this rare occasion, Dravite was not to blame. “Good,” he grinned, looking at the shit on Bel-ha Tir’s knee, “It was that or I feed you to my gods.”

From where he sat, Dravite had a better view of the plains. He eyeballed the prints the deer or young elk had left and looked for the points of its feet, which he hoped would tell him which way the animal had gone and distinguish what type it was; deer had slightly smoother hooves if he recalled his hunting lessons with the pavilion correctly.

The tracks seemed to lead further away from Endrykas and when Dravite gazed across the grassy plain he noticed a blurred shape in the distance that could have belong to exactly what they were looking for. He made a note of something in the landscape to his right that he would keep on his left in order to guide them home safely later, then nudged Cree’s side with his left heel and like an arrow released from the bow, the two shot forward as one, leaving Bel and Dreamer in the dust. Their element of surprise was little to none, the rumbling of his strider’s hooves meeting the ground enough to spook anything that lay ahead, so he had to rely on his strider’s speed alone.

Dravite made a clicking sound with his tongue that Cree understood all too well, the type of sound that told him ‘give it all you’ve got, boy, and don’t hold back!’. They worked as one, navigating the thick tussocks and bounding over the slight dips in the earth. Dravite gripped his spear in his left hand as the young buck came into view, and fumbled with it to pass around behind his back and hold with his right, the hand he preferred to make all his kills with.

He lined up his shot, leaning to the right in order to get up alongside the animal and drive his father’s bone-spear into the deer’s chest in an attempt to pierce the heart, but as he brought the spear down swiftly, the buck leapt to one side away from Dravite and his strider, the point of the spear slicing the soft flesh under the buck’s left elbow, just below the shoulder.

The young buck staggered and stopped to judge the horse’s direction before turning on its back legs to skip away from Cree who had continued on, shooting forward, whirling around only when Dravite commanded; it seemed their teamwork needed a little work after all. He had been too big-headed, racing off after a kill without the help of his Windborne brother and looked as if he might pay for it, both their families going hungry tonight. He would try to case the injured buck back towards Bel-ha Tir who was usually hot on his heels.

Determined, Dravite gave Cree a light kick to the ribs and the pair were off again and this time Cree had the right idea, realising that it was the buck they were after and not just a jubilant gallop through the countryside.
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Go with Your Fate

Postby Mahaleth on April 28th, 2015, 10:15 pm

“It was that or I would feed you to my gods,” Dravite said.

Bel’s laugh was cut short by the sound of hooves, and then the sound of hooves disappearing in the distance. He turned, and saw that Dravite had become a blur in the horizon, following a dot farther away than that. Bel-ha Tir’s face burned hot with a sudden and violent agitation. Spit gathered at the corners of his mouth, bitter and poisonous as the drink in his blood. Bel-ha Tir needed to kill the deer before Dravite could.

The Ankal’s son threw his legs over his Strider and, with a whoop and a cry that Dreamer understood meant “GO”, they raced off at top speed, Bel's legs and his grip on the Yvas almost slipping. The thunder of the mare’s hooves echoed the thunder in Bel-ha Tir’s chest and his skull. Foam built up at the corner of man and mare’s mouths and something like anger and nausea swirled darkly in Bel-ha Tir’s stomach. He gripped the handle of one throwing axe, raised it over his head, and took careful aim. His arm shook. His fingers fumbled. It would have been too easy to misfire and catch Dravite with the axe instead. Too easy.

The glint of Dravite’s spear caught the corner of Bel’s eye. A visceral thrill ran up the side of Bel’s thigh and up his back when he saw the stream of blood down the buck’s leg, and the panicked look in its eyes when it realized that it was cornered. They saw each other, the buck and Bel-ha Tir. They looked in each other’s eyes. It could have asked Bel-ha Tir to spare its life.

Bel-ha Tir didn’t hear himself roar when he swung the axe in a circle over his head and threw, just as the buck tried to swerve away from the hunters. But he did hear the sound of steel chopping into bone, though he couldn’t be sure what he had hit; the buck ran a few more yards until it stumbled, fell to its knees, and then with an almost human groan hit the ground.

It was a blind, lucky shot.

Cold, sick sweat ran down the groove in Bel-ha Tir’s back. He swallowed. Breathed. Took a beat. Dreamer slowed down to an amble. Bel felt his pupils shrink back to their normal size and his heart finally decide to start to slow down. He felt a knot in his right bicep and in the middle of his back, and what felt like thorns pricking his soles and the palms of his hands.

He hopped off his horse and Dreamer, uninterested, wandered a few feet away from the deer carcass to pull weeds out with her teeth. Bel gripped the handle of his axe and pulled. It didn’t give way.

Bel pulled again.

Nothing.

“Damn!” Bel hissed. “Damn!” again. “Drav,” he groaned, looking over his shoulder. Bel tugged again. He hufffed a laugh, a helpless sound. Whatever dark mood that had come over Bel had been sated by the buck’s death. “It’s stuck. The damn axe is stuck. Come help.”

Mahaleth
Pretty, pretty Palomino.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Go with Your Fate

Postby Dravite on April 29th, 2015, 6:25 am

Cree carried his rider as fast as he could but Dreamer, who galloped with fresh legs, managed to get Bel-ha Tir closer to the deer faster than Cree could Dravite. Too busy lining up his own shot; Dravite hadn’t noticed that his pavilion brother was aiming to take the kill out from under him. There was a loud cracking sound, a cloud of dust, and a grating roar ripped from the animal’s throat; his last breath leaving him on his knees before his body flopped to one side against the earth, lifeless.

The horses halted quickly, reined by their riders and Bel-ha Tir was quick to dismount in order to work on retrieving his throwing axe while Dravite remained seated on the big, buckskin stallion who sucked great squalls of air through flared nostrils. He watched Bel-ha Tir through the points of Cree’s pricked ears, struggling with his weapon for a time before calling back, “It’s stuck!”

“What do you mean it’s stuck?” Dravite had to laugh and couldn’t help but think that might have been his weapon if his aim had been better and the deer hadn’t leapt away from him just before he had taken his first strike. Bel-ha Tir looked rather comical, hunched drunkenly over the dead buck with both hands on the handle his axe, heaving with all his might and trying to wiggle the blade free from the animal’s skull; a lucky shot indeed.

Dravite finally slipped from Cree’s back and stroked the stallion’s neck in an attempt to both calm and congratulate him for working so hard, even though they hadn’t dealt the death wound this round, there would soon be a next time; there was always a next time. He moved to join Bel-ha Tir and took hold of the stag’s small set of antlers, and judged when he looked, by the lack of mane that this deer had only recently seen its first year of life before the Drykas pair had taken it from him. “Well that’s one way to skin a cat,” Dravite jested, examining the wound he had dealt a little closer before he leaned back tightened his grip.

“One, two!” They both pulled as hard as they could and twice Dravite almost lost his footing, digging his heels into the dirt. He often traversed the wilds without any shoes on, so wearing his hunting boots as he was today, made things feel a little slick and unnatural. He decided it was safer then, if they loaded up and took the buck home, less Bel-ha Tir manage to rip the axe from the carcass only to mistaking impale Dravite, or worse, himself.

“Come on, I’ll help you lift him onto Dreamer and you can start slowly making your way back.”
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Go with Your Fate

Postby Mahaleth on May 1st, 2015, 6:35 am

There was a thud and a cloud of dirt and dust when Bel fell on his ass after the third time he tried to pull the axe out of the deer’s skull. He cussed, ripped out a handful of grass, and threw it at the carcass’ petrified face. “I just bought that axe,” Bel said, as if it were the deer’s fault.

Red in the face from ale and exertion, Bel stumbled to his feet and dusted dirt off of his knees. “I’ll help you lift him on to Dreamer,” Bel heard Dravite say, “and you can start slowly making your way back.”
“Bring back a rabbit to sacrifice,” Bel said. “We’re having the deer.”
Dravite gave Bel a disapproving look. Bel knew it because it was the same look Dravite’s mother gave them when they were boys and she could sense that they were up to some mischief. When they were younger it usually stopped them in their tracks, but Bel-ha Tir was having none of it.
“Don’t look at me like that. It’s my deer. I killed it. I decide what to do with it. We’re not sacrificing it to some stinking god.”

It wasn’t that Belhatir didn’t believe in gods. He believed in them just as much as anyone. He believed that Caiyha could let him get eaten by a glassbeak, that Dira and Kihala could play ping pong with him if they wanted to, that Laviku could decide to drown him in the desert if he so wished, just because they were bored and didn’t have anything to do or he looked at one of them the wrong way. Not that Bel would have any way of knowing. Not that they were allowed to ask questions. Not that anyone ever explained what the difference was if Bel offered them a deer or a rabbit since it was all symbolic anyway. What did the gods want with humans and their worship? Why would someone truly powerful need a cult? Questions were a bad thing, and Belhatir had always been full of questions. Belhatur never managed to beat them all out of him.

“See, the beautiful thing about Lhex is that he doesn’t ask for anything.” Bel grunted as he tried to pull the axe out of the deer’s head, one foot planted on its skull for leverage. “Least of all,” he huffed, “my! Dinner!” With that, Bel lost his footing. The axe flew over his head and a few yards behind him, into the dirt. Bel laughed. He couldn't do anything but laugh; all of the energy had been sapped out of him and into the ground. So he lay there beside his kill---his kill---and laughed.

Mahaleth
Pretty, pretty Palomino.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Go with Your Fate

Postby Dravite on May 1st, 2015, 7:00 pm

Silence fell between the pair as Dravite thought on his friend’s words, watching the patch of earth Bel’s weapon had flown towards in case Belhatir had missed it. Dravite had promised the gods a sacrifice, but his pavilion brother had a point; the deer was not his kill to give and might seem a wasteful tribute in the eyes of Caiyha, the favourite of the three gods he followed. Bel had a way with words and they had got his point across loud and clear. “I’ll find something,” was all Dravite had to say in reply.

The young Drykas man turned to move towards his horse Cree, who had slowly gravitated towards Dreamer; both grazing on the new spring grass. Dravite fixed the yvas on Cree’s back which had turned during dismount. He put his hands in the grips and threw a leg over to right himself on the back of the sixteen hand stallion before glancing at Belhatir.

A sly little smirk found his lips, subtle in contrast to that look he had mastered from years of seeing it reflected in his mother’s features. As he steered his strider past the grazing Dreamer, Dravite raised his hand skyward and brought it down against the animal’s rear-end in a loud smack that saw both striders startle and dash away from the area; Dravite only just managing to hold on for the ride as Cree followed Dreamer towards the horizon.

As they rode away, Dravite laughed whole-heartedly and called over his shoulder to Bel, “Enjoy the walk home! Perhaps Lhex will help you drag the buck back?” He knew Dreamer was more likely to go and sniff Belhatir out than head straight back to camp, but he liked the idea of leaving his friend to sweat for a while.
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Go with Your Fate

Postby Naiya on June 4th, 2015, 2:29 pm

Here's what the Fox says

Name: Dravite
XP Award:
  • Horsemanship +2
  • Hunting +2 Land Navigation +1
  • Negotiation +2
  • Observation +4
  • Riding +3
  • Tracking +1
  • Weapon: Spear +1
Lore:
  • Belhatir: a long time friend
  • Belkaia: beware 'the look'
  • Caiyha: the first witch
  • Cautioning a Drykas child is an act of futility
  • Horsemanship: Checking the fit of a Yvas before riding
  • Horsemanship: communication is key
  • Land Navigation: sinking steps mean mud which often accompanies a water source
  • Negotiation: bidding low so you may work up to the price you are willing to pay
  • Negotiation: interest in similar wares might convince a merchant to offer a better price for what you want
  • Negotiation: willingness to walk away from a sale to find a better deal
  • Past and cycling trends for Drykas males
  • Religion: gods like prayer as well as sacrifices
  • Religion: reasons to pray
  • Semele: the mother
  • Tracking: Deer hooves are rounder than elk
  • Zulrav: god of storms
Notes: Great little thread you have here, it was quite fun to read. You manage to pack in a lot of things that add up to quite the thread reward. Also, I know you are waiting on Seasonal Wages, but you can not live in squalor long and survive, so be careful of that please! Also, please update your grade request to show this thread has been graded.

Seasonal Challenges:
Pray to a god - Completed
Participate in a race - Completed
Buy something new and exciting - Completed
Throw an event (hunt) - Completed

Name: Belhatir
XP Award:
  • Gambling +1
  • Hunting +2
  • Observation +2
  • Riding +1
  • Running +1
  • Unarmed Combat +1
  • Weapon: Throwing Axe +1
Lore:
  • Blind luck can sometimes bring success
  • Deer feces, good for a hunt, not good for pants
  • Dreamer: uninterested in the furits of a hunt
  • Fighting isn't funny, and sometimes you lose a tooth
  • Hunting: animal feces is a valuable tool
  • Lhex: doesn't ask for your dinner
  • Lost in the heat of the moment
  • Running to avoid a debt
  • Unintended consequence of throwing a weapon; it might get stuck
Notes: Take care not to overplay your weapon skill, you are only at novice level, here you did mention blind luck, and the animal was wounded so perhaps not as agile as an unharmed one, but all the same look out in future threads for over playing. Also, you have your weapon skills listed as "throwing axes" and I'm not sure if that means you have more than one that you use (say like throwing knives), or if you consider it dual wielding. If it is the former, you're in the clear. The latter requires its own skill and must be attained after you are competent in the weapon skill of choice. You must deduct the cost of living from your ledger. Spring has ended, and so the living expense must be subtracted from your wealth. I have posted this grade for you today, I can not post another grade for you until your ledger has been updated, so please do that soon!

Penalties: Belhatir will be bruised and sore from his fight, the pain will worsen over the next day, and begin to fade in the next three to five days. Bruises on his face and body will form and disappear over the next two to ten days. Belhatir lost a tooth in his fight, it will not grow back, but should not cause any complications beyond the resulting pain.

Rewards: Belhatir returns home victorious! He arrives with a yearling buck with a pelt nearly intact. The buck weighs 110 lbs, and can be processed at The Spit Fire. You can receive 110 GM for the meat, or take it home to be butchered and eaten by Belhatir's family. 2 GM and 2 SM can be paid to preserve the hide for Belhatir to keep, or it may be sold for 2 GM.
If you butcher the deer yourself, you will receive 75 pounds of meat, and the hide will be left as little more than scraps of fur.

Seasonal Challenges:
Participate in a Race - Completed

Notes to you both: I tried to make sure there were lores for everything I found, and hopefully I didn't miss any skills or specific lores you were looking for. If I did, shoot me a PM I am happy to discuss corrections. Dravite, as you noticed, somethings get over looked, so no worries about being a bother if you have questions or concerns! Another thing, I believe if you want the medal for the seasonal challenges, you must PM the Storyteller of the city, for us that means Gossamer. If I were you, I would wait until you have the required number of events, and then in your PM link to the specific posts where they happened, as well as the grade posts where I have confirmed that I saw the goal to be completed.
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)