Pyken Article Interest

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Ball on July 6th, 2015, 11:38 am

I have been tossing this idea around for sometime in my head and want to know what others think of having an article done up on it. I know there are at least three players that might benefit from having one, but are others wanting to see one too?
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Gully on July 8th, 2015, 1:31 pm

I'd be interested.
Gully
Player

Words: 3732
Joined roleplay: July 1st, 2015, 10:22 am
Character sheet

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Ball on July 14th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Awesome Gully!

I have a brief idea of the outline I want to produce, suggestions on it?

1. Overview
1.a Pre-Regs/Related Skills
1.b History
1.c Creator(s)

2. Styles of Pyken
2.a Offensive
2.b Defensive
2.c Mixed

3. Teaching
3.a One-on-One
3.b Dojo/Class style
3.c Self-Taught

4. Skill Progression
4.a Novice
4.b Competent
4.c Expert
4.d Master
Last edited by Ball on July 14th, 2015, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Treachery on July 14th, 2015, 1:15 pm

I would be interested in seeing a fixed lore on Pyken as it may help stop accidental powerplaying in PCs in the future. It'll also help standardise what can and can't be done at a certain level. :) Go for it mudpile!
Due to exams probably won't be posting again until after the 20th of May
Common | Others talking Common | Zithanese | Others talking Zithanese
8/8 threads
Treachery
The Treacherous Zith

Words: 64860
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2014, 10:19 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Ball on October 24th, 2015, 4:42 am

I apparently had an outline developed, this is a second possible outline:

1. Prerequisite/Related/Recommended Skills
2. History
a) Original Pycon Concept (as mentioned in the lore)
b) Style Influenced By
c) Adaptability Through the Years

3. Practices
a) Self-Defense
b) Combat
c) Meditative
d) Ritualistic

4. Styles **These will go into the explanation of how the racial traits and how come of the skills listed above may work with the styles: climbing on their opponents to strike weak points, detaching compromised body parts, growing additional limbs to aid In combat, and so on (these were taken straight from the lore as a reminder of sort of things to include are) ++Teaching is another aspect that needed to be explained, teaching in regards to the styles themselves, as how they are taught influences how the trained users are going to use it. The three types of teaching planning to cover: One-on-One, Dojo/Class style, and Self-Taught
a) Defensive
-- 1. Pros
-- 2. Cons
-- 3. Teaching

b) Offensive
-- 1. Pros
-- 2. Cons
-- 3. Teaching

c) Neutral
-- 1. Pros
-- 2. Cons
-- 3. Teaching

5. Going from an Unarmed Combat to Martial Art (implementing weaponry)
a) Py-String
b) Py-Pole
c) Py-Whip
d) Other

6. Skill progression
a) Novice
b) Competent
c) Expert
d) Master

Below is a Spoiler with the original outline:

Original Outline :
1. Overview
1.a Pre-Regs/Related Skills
1.b History
1.c Creator(s)

2. Styles of Pyken
2.a Offensive
2.b Defensive
2.c Mixed

3. Teaching
3.a One-on-One
3.b Dojo/Class style
3.c Self-Taught

4. Skill Progression
4.a Novice
4.b Competent
4.c Expert
4.d Master
Last edited by Ball on October 24th, 2015, 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Baelin Holt on October 24th, 2015, 5:02 am

Good job tackling this! It'll be really good to get a py-ken lore page.

Do feel free to organize it however you feel flows best. If I was writing it I'd put sections 3 and 5 together, but if you find that to be less intuitive then by all means don't do it.

An example outline for a merged section 3 and 5:

Racial Traits Used
a) Offensive
--1) climbing on their opponents to strike weak points
------i) pros
------ii) cons
--2) growing additional limbs, offensive advantage
------i) pros
------ii) cons
b) Defensive
--1) detaching compromised body parts
------i) pros
------ii) cons
--2) growing additional limbs, defensive advantage
------i) pros
------ii) cons
c) Neutral
(not sure what you're looking to put under neutral)

You could also definitely do it the other way around too, where you have a section on growing additional limbs and then go into its offensive and defensive methods as well as the pros and cons for all of its uses.
Baelin Holt
Blacksmith

Words: 367174
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2014, 12:36 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1)

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Ball on October 24th, 2015, 5:06 am

Thanks for the input I have modified my outline above yer post to represent the changes (I agree with the flow you mentioned).

As for Neutral: I originally was going to call it "Mixed" meaning it's equal parts Defensive and Offensive. However I felt the word Neutral was more appropriately termed. But it's still up in the air as I haven't decided on WHAT to call the hybridization of the two distinct branches. I wanted to add in Teaching to them, they are mentioned in the previous outline and the spoiler I pointed out (I felt that was an important aspect to take into consideration)

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Nivel on November 6th, 2015, 4:18 am

yay! I'm totally interested in this! and I'm sure Arch is too.

I like that you included ritualistic practices in there too, since I'm sure some (like Nivel) combine pyken with Flux.

I had an idea that maybe one of the side affects of growing extra limbs or detaching them too frequently is that it could cause mood swings. Since pycons bodies are tied to their experience and personality I thought that rapidly altering it could also affect them a bit psychologically and work with the race's reputation for unpredictability. Obviously the more skilled they are in the craft the less they'll feel the affects of this.
If this is a silly idea I won't be upset if we don't use it, I just thought it would be neat.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Ball on November 6th, 2015, 5:04 am

I like that idea. I always assumed that it would be rather uncomfortable and they would want to attach it as soon as pycon-ly possible. (see what I did there? lol)

I was thinkin' less with Flux (as Flux is meant to augment unarmed combat originally) and more with like... religious or like kata/training sort of aspect when I said ritualistic. I imagine it could also be used as a form of meditation too (Something like tai chi for Pycons. lol)

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Pyken Article Interest

Postby Nivel on November 6th, 2015, 7:33 am

according to the lore it is uncomfortable to shift, which is something I need to convey more when Nivel :paranoid:.

When ever Nivel gets a part of her forcefully removed I make it seem like she goes into a panic and only thinks about getting that limb back. that could be another possible thing pyken fighters might have to suppress in order to detach arms on a regular basis.

And so I don't make too many hindrances (because their fun to think of) we could make it so some pycon might experience certain problems more than others. like some might have an easier time shifting but could have a much harder time detaching limbs. The problems and strengths could probably be tied to their personality, so if their comfortable with change they won't have as bad mood swings after sifting but if there more dependent on others they might freak out more when they lose limbs.

he he puns :P

How about the pycon tai chi be something originally invented by pycon flux mages. Meditation helps with magic and if a pycon learned flux they would naturally want to combined it with pyken. It could grow to be used in plenty of different ways, I'm just talking about it's origin.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)