Armed (and Unarmed) Combat Styles

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Shadyn on November 30th, 2015, 3:15 am

I was curious whether or not it would be possible to have weapon STYLES as well as weapon types. After all, we have Unarmed Combat STYLES. Why not also have weapon STYLES?

I mean, Friar Tuck does not use his staff like a Shaolin Monk. Samurai warriors did not use their swords like Ottoman warriors. American Indians used bows different from English Yeomen who used them different from Persian Charioteers who used them different from Mongol Horsemen.

Thus, I think having weapon styles would be judicious and better reflect how a weapon is used. I think, however, that characters should not HAVE to choose a style, instead being able to choose to go with “standard” rather than pick a style.

This originally occurred to me in connection with my idea about animalistic combat styles since those are excellent examples of combat styles that would influence both armed and unarmed combat. It has since occurred to me that a whole swath of combat styles exist, both for weapons alone and for both armed and unarmed.

Such styles could be said to include, just off the top of my head:

{format of list}= IRL reference – “Mizaharian Name” (Which combat forms it will affect)

Non-descript – “Standard” (Armed – default armed combat style)

Greco-Roman – “Classical” (Armed and Unarmed)

Various -- “Ancient” (Armed and Unarmed…this would be a generic combination of Indian, Aboriginal, Tribal African, etc. styles, particularly American Indian since it is highly documented IRL)

Mongol – “Rider” (Armed – particular emphasis upon mounts, esp. horses…this would be quite useful for Drykas)

Samurai – “Miz name…?” (Armed)

Various Animal-inspired (see my other lore suggestion post) – “Animalistic” (Armed and Unarmed)

….you get the idea.

By using styles like this, all of the various aspects of combat will have an added level of depth and complexity. There will also be definable guidelines for how supplementary skills will effect combat, as well as the abilities of master and expert warriors in these styles.

Additionally, it will add another layer of character development. Mister Chuckles has two weapon choices, let’s say – gladius or talon sword. Which one does he want to use? Both have about the same blade length, are extremely effective weapons, etc. so there are no major differences (let’s forget the fact that talon swords are almost impossible to get for the purpose of this illustration).Well, you can just say that he wants the gladius…but why? If you know that you want him to have his chosen combat style as “Classical,” however, then it will make perfect sense. When someone reads the Lore (that I would write up) for “Classical” combat style, they will see that the gladius would be on the list of preferred weaponry.

Even beyond weapons, each of these styles helps us understand our character’s psychology. I remember my grandfather telling me, “You can tell a lot about a man by how he handles guns.” Well, Miz doesn’t have guns, but that principle holds true for all weapons, really. A warrior that uses the Samurai-ish style would be level-headed, reserved, make use of meditation, etc. A warrior that uses “Classical” style would be quite objective about things, love the close fray, value mental pursuits like mathematics and astronomy, etc.

All characters would start with “Standard” combat style for weapons, unless their race suggested otherwise. Some races would have other styles as their default – Drykas would have Rider, Kelvics and Dhani would have Animalistic, Vantha would have Ancient – and thus would be able to start with said styles for their weapons. All other combat styles would have to be gained as lores IC via learning processes. This would not be an extremely difficult process since it is merely a style, but would be like learning a new personal magic IC…perhaps three threads of 2k words each would be sufficient…such specifics will be discussed once the idea itself is OKed and taken to the next stage.

An important note is that note is that characters could logically have multiple combat styles. As soon as a new style is learned, it may be used for any weapons and Unarmed Combat if applicable. A Character with multiple styles could use any style he chose at any given time.

A last and important detail is that Combat Styles would be more lore based than XP based. Once a style is learned, it is learned. If an Expert in Weapon: Warhammer (Standard) learned “Ancient,” because he ALREADY has an expert knowledge/XP of/for his weapon, it is logical that he would be able to then immediately (once learned) use Weapon: Warhammer (Ancient) if he so wish. This would be listed on his skill list as Weapon: Warhammer (Standard, Ancient).

Combat styles that extremely complex (such as Animalistic, see my other lore suggestion topic, or such as Pyken, which is being currently handled by Ball) will be covered more briefly than the othes, supplemented with a link to their actual lore page for further information.

General plan for lore page would (AT THIS POINT) be like this:

Intro to Combat Styles

1)Combat Style A
--overview of combat style A
----defining characteristics of combat style A
----common tactics used in combat style A
--how combat style A is learned
--preferred supplementary skills for combat style A
--preferred weapons/weapon types for combat style A.
2)Combat Style B
--overview of combat style B
----defining characteristics of combat style B
----common tactics used in combat style B
--how combat style B is learned
--preferred supplementary skills for combat style B
--preferred weapons/weapon types for combat style B
Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Words: 124526
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on November 30th, 2015, 3:46 am

Weapons are skills in how to use the weapon which doesn't change from one culture to another. You are looking into cultural things at this point. However, I agree with you in regards to something of the sort... However, I feel this should be mostly done ICly.

If you look at Ball's style of Pyken I am using it as a heavily offensive style. As he progressed and learned that he was able to do significantly more damage with less forced impacts on his behalf he would do better as a combatant... Also got to keep in mind the Skill Progression charts.

How would a Novice in a Weapon style differ from a Master?
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Shadyn on December 1st, 2015, 1:40 am

Good question, Ball.

A weapon style is essentially a way to use a weapon beyond just "Standard" maneuvers. It is essentially a set of techniques and tricks that the Character would learn and progress in as he moves up in experience.

Novice in Weapon: Gladius (Standard, Classical) would be able to use the weapon with merely normal techniques. Since he has learned at least the basics in Classical, however, he would have at least at slight idea of the advantages of simple Classical maneuvers (such would be listed under Common Tactics for the style and would be ranked according to experience necessary to use them). Such a simple maneuver might be to grab his opponent by the shoulder in a pseudo-wrestling stance and drive the blade up under their ribs...a very basic tactic, with many weaknesses.

A Master, however, would know much more in-depth and complicated techniques. An example of one such complex tactic would be a sweep out to one side, then a long thrust from waist level. While it sounds simple, that tactic is actually an extremely complex maneuver used to circumvent an opponent's shield and gut them THROUGH their breastplate.

{I determined these tactics based upon some research I did upon Roman infantry warfare, since "Classical" is based of off IRL Greco-Roman. The first was a style learned by all common soldiers, the latter a technique taught only in the gymnasiums of the elite, and then only mastered by seasoned warriors.}

As to the culture vs. IC point, having it be purely IC determined would be fine as well. All Characters would start with Standard style, to which they could later add other styles.
Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on December 1st, 2015, 4:11 am

What you are suggesting is more lore based information than skills.

Your very first set of sentences in your answer stated as such:
A weapon style is essentially a way to use a weapon beyond just "Standard" maneuvers. It is essentially a set of techniques and tricks that the Character would learn and progress in as he moves up in experience.
I bolded the main part of importance though... that part alone is all lores.

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Azmere on December 1st, 2015, 7:00 pm

While I like the concept, I feel like it would over complicate things -especially for new players.

If you wish to have different styles of combat for the same weapon, I would advise taking to your ST and asking for a way to split a skill.

Gladius- classic, Gladius-ancient, etc and then have your graders give you XP accordingly.
Attn: GradersObservation is maxed. Thank you for all your hard work.

where do you go when you don't know who you are?
Azmere
Seeker of the Lost

Words: 754081
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Shadyn on December 1st, 2015, 9:52 pm

Well, my point is that currently, as far as my knowledge goes, there are no weapon disciplines at all. You just have Weapon: XYZ and the XP. There are no styles that I have seen like there are with Unarmed combat. If these do exist, there is precious little evidence in the Lore.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on December 1st, 2015, 10:03 pm

Can't you just put your style in brackets on your skill chart or explain it some where on your character sheet.
Some times differentiating between brawling and unarmed gets on my nerves while grading, I don't want to have to deal with weapon styles.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Shadyn on December 1st, 2015, 10:19 pm

That is a good point Nivel. The only problem I see is that if I (and one or two other enterprising folk) are the only people doing that, and there is no real "system" to support it, it means precious little.

Please note from my original post for Ball's comment:

A last and important detail is that Combat Styles would be more lore based than XP based. Once a style is learned, it is learned. If an Expert in Weapon: Warhammer (Standard) learned “Ancient,” because he ALREADY has an expert knowledge/XP of/for his weapon, it is logical that he would be able to then immediately (once learned) use Weapon: Warhammer (Ancient) if he so wish. This would be listed on his skill list as Weapon: Warhammer (Standard, Ancient).

I bolded the important part. My original intent was/has been essentially to create a definable way to understand HOW characters use their weapons. XP tells us how WELL, but it is a giant void left to character interpretation, and it makes little sense for characters to just be able to "do things" with their weapons without having learned the techniques. And if they learn techniques, as far back as IRL history tells us, techniques have names, training disciplines, and systems of execution in combat that identify the techniques. Some techniques come from a single teacher; others are created by whole groups.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on December 1st, 2015, 10:40 pm

By lore based I meant the lores you earn during grading. Not the Lore itself. Techniques and such are bits of knowledge.

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Shadyn on December 1st, 2015, 10:51 pm

OH, I understand that, Ball...and that is what I mean. There would be distinct lores that a person would learn IC to gain new combat styles. There would be four lores (example -- Lore: Classical Combat Style, Advanced) for each style. One learning thread will earn you one lore, and give you "Classical 1", the second learning thread will earn you a second lore, and give you "Classical 2"....

OR, conversely, you could just KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) and stick to just one lore that gives you that combat style. Either way, using a combat style would be based upon a specific "standardized" lore necessary for your Char to learn.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next