Duty and Honor [Markus Andres, John Griffin]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Dusk on December 7th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Duty and Honor
Prequel to the Syliras Winter Quest "Sinners or Slaves"
1st of Winter, 510 AV

A missive was sent both to the Squire Markus Andres and to Knight John Griffin to get themselves immediately to the First Tier and present themselves before Loren Dyres for an assignment. The men who brought them the message could give no further explanation, only that they had been selected for some duty and to be sure they cleaned their armor before showing up.

OOCI want you both to do entrance posts before I give the assignment, don't just want to bark things at you :)

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby John Griffin on December 30th, 2010, 11:03 am

The Grandmaster? Wanted to see him? Loren Dyres, Grandmaster of the Syliran Knights, wanted to see Ser John Griffin, lowly knight? John couldn't believe it, but he knew this wasn't something someone would joke about. The young knight had been in his room when the messenger came, knocking on his door and informing him with brief courtesy. He had just gotten back from a bath at Soothing Waters, and a good thing too! John tried to keep his armor meticulous, but he gave it a once over with polish, just to be sure. He also ran a whetstone over his sword as well, not wanting to chance anything.

He took nearly ten minutes strapping himself into his suit of plate, and pulled his white tabard over his head, the Windoak embroidered in yellow and gray in the center, both front and back. At the right shoulder was his rank pin, a single sword. John grabbed his sword belt and wrapped it around his waist, cinching down the tabard. He grabbed his sword and dagger and hooked them in their customary position. He left only his helmet off, preferring to leave his face uncovered, but he brought it with him, holding it tucked into his left arm pit.

John made his way to the First Tier at a hasty walk. He didn't want to run, but neither did one keep the Grandmaster waiting. Though he had never been up to the highest tier of the city, he knew the way, as did every knight that called Syliras home.

Finally he made it there, and found himself standing outside the office of the Grandmaster. He snapped crisply to attention in front of the door, and said to the guards, "Ser John Griffin, reporting to the Grandmaster as directed," and held out the missive for the guard to check.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Markus Andres on December 31st, 2010, 2:53 am

Markus had wondered if it was a joke, when the messenger delivered the missive. Loren Dyres, the grandmaster, wanting to see a mere squire? It seemed quite far fetched. But the messenger had seemed serious enough and Markus dared not obey out of fear for reprisals. Nor did he want to pass up an opportunity to meet the grandmaster himself! It would be a great honor. The first thing Markus did, was splash some water in his face and wash away sweat and dirt. Then, he found his armor, it wasn't a particular awe-inspiring piece of armor, but it protected him from the nastiest of his masters blows. Markus cleaned the armor and put it on, except the helmet, which he chose to carry under his arm. Then he found his grandfather's bastard sword and put on the belt with the scabbard and sword. He looked at his shield. Wondering if he should bring that too.

His master had told him to always be prepared, but bringing both sword and shield to a meeting with the grandmaster might be frowned upon? Markus decided to leave the shield behind and only show up wearing his armor and bastard sword. Should it come to combat, then he would just have to fight without his shield.

Markus left his room a couple of chimes later and made his way to the first tier. He saw John Griffin before the guards to the room and also saw how he spoke. Markus would walk faster and soon reach the guards just as John finished talking.

"Markus Andres, squire under ser Stern Mason. Reporting to the grandmaster." Also holding out the missive he had received. Feeling excited about the meeting.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Dusk on January 5th, 2011, 2:41 am

The First Tier of Stormhold Citadel was by far the most extravagant, built when the city was first founded and designed to hold the highest ranking members of the order and their family. Grey stone was replaced by white marble, and huge windows of flawless glass let in the thin winter sunlight as it did nowhere else in the city.

The guard returned John's salute, and offered one to Markus as well when he showed the same missive. She wore the typical light armor of the order rather than plate mail, and in addition to the sword pinned to her tabard she had an additional golden pin carved in the shape of a key - evidence that she was a member of Stewart Akela Stalinsa's company, the personal guard of the Grandmaster. "You're expected," she said with a friendly smile, knocking once on the door behind her before pulling it open and waving the two inside.

The chamber within was spacious, the floors covered in immaculately woven rugs. The two windowless walls were covered in intricate tapestries depicting Syliras' history, and the third wall was taken up almost completely with a giant stained-glass window that was an exact replica of the Windoak, green glass branches reaching up towards the ceiling and falling back down towards the floor. Directly in front of it was a large oak desk with several chairs spread out in front of it in a semi-circle for visitors.

Behind the desk sat the Grandmaster himself. Loren Dyres was perhaps younger than some would have thought, but as he rose to greet them there was an almost palpable aura of command that marked him as a leader of men. Standing to one side of him and just behind his chair was the oft-whispered-about Seer of Syliras, watching everything with pale blues eyes and a quiet smile.

"John," he said, offering a hand to the knight, and then to the squire, "and Markus. Welcome. This is Kaylana," he said, motioning to the Konti behind him.

"A pleasure," she murmured softly, stepping forward to offer her hand as well. "Please, be seated. We have much to discuss."

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Markus Andres on January 29th, 2011, 6:36 pm

When the door was opened and they were given permission to enter, Markus' heart skipped a beat or two. For he felt nervous to meet the high commander in an almost private audience. Plus he almost dying from suppressed excitement and curiosity. He really wanted to know what was going on and why they were there. He confidently strode into the room. Noticing the very size of the room first. It was much larger than the normal rooms in the castle. Then he saw the grandmaster. For someone to hold the title of grandmaster at such a young age, was quite incredible. The man himself, must be a great fighter or leader to rise to that position. When he offered his hand, Markus grabbed it and gave it a firm handshake and lowered his head in a respectful nod.

"Good day, ser Dyres."

Markus looked at the konti who had been introduced by Lord Dyres. She struck him as quite beautiful, but her race sent a sliver of sadness through his heart. She reminded him of the lost konti Airil that Markus had been unable to save from herself. But this sadness didn't break the smile on his lips when he accepted the handshake from Kaylana and bowed his head down in the same respectful manner as he had with the grandmaster.

"Likewise, Sera."

Marked sat down on one of the chairs and patiently waited for the briefing. Could this be his first official mission? That would certainly be something grand for him.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Dusk on February 5th, 2011, 2:03 pm

That greeting got a chuckle out of both Loren and Kaylana, and the glance they shared told of some private joke. "Oh, I am no Sera," she said, offering Markus a hint of a smile. "I never aspired to Knighthood. Not nearly martial enough, so Loren tells me. I am more of a... consultant, I suppose. I serve Syliras as faithfully as any Knight, simply in a different capacity."

"By which she means, she's shyke on a horse," the Grandmaster snorted, which earned him a tiny moue of annoyance from the Konti woman, though there was no reproach in her pale eyes. "In any case, we've something going on and we need someone to look into it, and we were hoping you'd be the men for the job."

"We know it's a little unusual to be given a task before your knighting quest," Kaylana added, looking directly at Markus and spreading her hands open in a gesture of helplessness, "but there are forces at work that require a bit of delicacy. And I have seen your faces, and known your names, and so we hope it will be you," she said with a nod.

"There have been some rumors coming out of the Lykolav Mines," Loren said, leaning back in his chair as he watched the reaction to that news. "We're not exactly sure what's going on, some grumbling from the forced labor I think. As you may know, the true miners are highly skilled and highly paid for their talents, but some of the more grueling and menial labor is done by those who have broken laws here. It is not uncommon for the Council of Three to sentence a man to a few years' work in the Mines as punishment for their crimes. From what we can glean, there's something going on among the laborers. Unfortunately that's all we can glean, and we need to know more."

"Even I, with my Sight, cannot tell you much more than this," Kaylana said with a frustrated sigh. "But I do know that something is coming. It is like an itch under my skin. And I have reason to believe I am not the only one of Avalis' children to feel just so. It is unclear to me why or how, but I believe there are other Konti who will be forced to take an interest in this situation," she said with a small frown. "And so we need to send someone to find out what is happening before it actually happens."

"Ser Markus, Ser John," Loren said, leaning forward once more and meeting each of their gazes before continuing, "I've been told that you've each got a good head on your shoulders, that you know when to shut your mouth and pay attention, and how to speak with some skill when you do decide to open it. You can consider this more of a reconnaissance mission - your job is to find out exactly what's going on in the Mines, who's behind it, and return with as much information as you can get. We don't even know if our own people are involved. But if the knights who patrol the Mines are involved, they won't think to question one unranked knight and his squire. This mission revolves around your discretion and your ability to ferret out information. Do well in this, and you may well find yourself in a specialty company when you return."

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Markus Andres on February 7th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Markus looked from the one to the other when they shared their little private joke. Utterly confused at their familiar tone of voice in the presence of a subordinate. Much unlike Markus' master. Markus immediately took a liking to the two. He chuckled a little when his grandmaster, and ultimate superior finished their little intimate moment. But it seemed they were down to business and Markus listened closely, not wanting to miss a word. Kaylana seemed to excuse that they were about to send Markus off on a mission before he had become a knight. But Markus was young and eager to go on an adventure. So he only shrugged to the konti seer. His way of saying it was alright.

Markus was a little disappointed when Loren talked about the Lykolav mines. Hardly the grand adventure going out to a hole in the ground. But he dismissed the feeling right away. Grumbled laborers hardly seemed worthy of the attention of the grandmaster of Syliran Knights. But Markus wouldn't question his orders.

Markus beamed with pride when Loren went on to compliment them. A reconnaissance mission to the mines. Shouldn't be so hard. The talk of them joining a specialty group also intrigued Markus, but still. Joining such a group before becoming a full-pledged knight? It sounded too good to be true. Markus looked to John, waiting to see if the superior ranked knight would have any questions. Should there be none or should the question Markus wanted to ask, not be asked, he would ask.

"When will we be leaving for the mines? And should we run into these Kontis, what are our orders?" Markus hoped that the questions weren't stupid and he just made his grandmasters praise be hollow. The first question made good sense, but the second question, Markus just wanted them to clarify the Kontis level of involvement in the mission.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Dusk on February 12th, 2011, 3:27 pm

"Honestly, you're like to make several trips out there," Loren said with a shrug. "This isn't going to be something you'll figure out at once. You'll need to explore, ask questions, get people to trust you a bit. Get a baseline for what's going on so you can get a feel for what's wrong and where it might be coming from. I'd suggest you visit once or twice every ten days or so. That way they get used to seeing you around there, and you're more likely to catch whoever's doing what once you're a familiar face. If we don't have any answer by the time we're halfway through the season, we'll chalk it up to a flight of fancy and let it go." He shrugged again, a rueful smile denting one corner of his mouth. "The problem with trying to guard against prophecy is that each day changes what may be. So this may end up being nothing, but I'd rather be sure we're prepared in case it becomes something.

"As far as the Konti," he continued, "you're to keep in mind what they are, and that they are both god-touched and god-sent. We give leeway to the daughters of Avalis because their actions are not always their own. But even they are not above the law of Syliras. Listen to their counsel if you wish, but they are not your masters, and if their desires seem to you to be out of line with what you know to be right, do not feel compelled to listen to them."

"They are not of this city," Kaylana added, and there was steel behind her voice. "You will have no way of knowing whether the words they speak will be to glorify our beloved Syliras, or to set us on another path. That is why we're sending you. You disrespect a Konti at your peril, but we are not the mouthpieces of the goddess. Not every word that drops from our lips are diamonds - some are just as surely poison," she said with a sardonic smile.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Markus Andres on February 19th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Markus lowered his head, hiding the small rush of blood to his cheeks. When Ser Dyres explained that he was to travel out there several times. When pointed out, it seemed too obvious. But mere moments later, the subject changed to something that Markus was now happy to have asked. Listening to the two explain the traveling konti's position should he encounter them. Especially the hard tone of voice that Kaylana used. It surprised Markus to hear the graceful and fragile looking Konti use such a hard tone. Especially about her own race like that. But it told him without a doubt, that he was to treat them with respect, but not to trust them. What Markus was more curious about, was the reason for Kaylana's hard tone. Wondering if she had had a bad run in with some Kontis in Syliras. Which naturally reminded Markus of his own bad run in with a Konti. Something he eagerly pushed aside and focused on the 'task' at hand. He opened his mouth to speak, but then closed it again. If he was not to call her Sera, what then? Just call her miss or address her by her name? Or nothing at all -

"I understand."

He looked form the Konti to his grandmaster and back again. Wondering who of them would say anything. He didn't notice if John did anything next to him. Markus leaned back and considered the possible ways he could prepare for the mission. He would be traveling a lot, so he should perhaps spend more time getting accustomed to ride and get familiar with it, so he wouldn't be nervous about falling off the horse when he got to the mines. Markus had no further questions. He would just wait for the grandmaster to either dismiss him or perhaps divulge some more information.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)