Closed A Future Stained in Red (Nephti)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

A Future Stained in Red (Nephti)

Postby Sayana on December 13th, 2015, 9:32 pm

Winter 2, 515 – Underground (abandoned shack)

The first day of Winter had been a blur. Sayana had woken up alongside Nephti hardly feet away from the entrance of the Underground. All the Eypharian could remember was a sudden onset of darkness and she must have somehow gone unconscious at that point. Fortunately though, she hadn’t woken up in the clutches of the zith family. Instead, on that first day Sayana found herself scrambling around the Underground trying to keep out of sight yet also gather much needed supplies. She needed shelter, steady source of food, new weapons, new clothes, a means of staying hidden, potential ways to escape… The list was endless.

She first had to retrieve her money and important belongings from the Cubacious Inn. Luckily she still had the key to the room yet she was careful to only slip in when she knew it was empty. Tim might have still been there, and she didn’t want him getting mixed up in all her affairs. It wasn’t too hard to ‘steal back’ her belongings and then she proceeded to cautiously purchase various supplies and equipment. The Underground had a wealth of dubious people, though she visited the Bazaar just as often to obtain what she needed. Her best bet was to vary the places she went to, so as not to be too conspicuous buying such ‘shady’ products.

Unfortunately, she didn’t manage to find proper shelter for that night, and had to make do by sleeping in an alleyway hiding behind a series of abandoned crates. It was uncomfortable and damp but she blessed the gods and goddesses when she awoke without a blade thrust inside her.

On the morning of the 2nd, her primary goal was to find some sort of shelter. The Underground was a myriad of twisting turning streets and alleyways. It seemed darker than before, however, and there was a prickle on the back of her neck as if something was watching. Cursed zith… She felt safer with her new black robe but even in the shadows her gut twisted with anxiety wondering if the wretched creatures would track her down. Every now and then she’d hear an unexpected sound causing her to dart into an alcove of sorts and quickly motion Nephti to do the same. But so far none of the occurrences were bestial in nature.

At last she found a house of sorts that appeared run-down and quite possibly abandoned. But when she tried the door, it too was locked. Her mouth twitched in annoyance. The problem with Alvadas was everyone had these damned keys which meant locks on every door. Even in the Underground. But then she suddenly recalled one of her most recent purchases. Reaching into the pocket of her new black vest, she pulled out a couple of skeleton keys and a pair of lock picks. She first tried the keys but neither seemed to work. Then taking a deep breath, she tried her hand at the picks. It was fiddly work, and she dropped the picks more than once but after several chimes of wiggling and pressing, she managed to feel something move. Click.

Her heart leapt as she reached for the door knob and found she could open it. “Nephti, come inside. Quickly.” She spoke hurriedly with a gesture of her hand. The house or ‘shack’ was in disrepair and covered with dirt and dust. Clearly long abandoned. Yet there were two beds and some other pieces of worn furniture. “We’ll stay here for the next few days. I have a few more things to get. I want a new look. If nothing else, it might throw them off if they see me. And I want to get some things for you. Perhaps give the place a little sweep?”

The Eypharian left and returned in about a bell with several more supplies concealed on her figure or within her lower arms.

On one of the beat up tables she placed a basin of water, some lye soap, a small vial of maroon dye, some new Tarot cards, a black cloak and black dress, and a simple cosmetic kit. The dye she had made from her Azhiltu herb with the help of one of the cosmetic shop keepers at the bazaar.

“Nephti, the cards, cloak, dress and kit are for you. I thought it was about time.” Sayana spoke with a faint smile. “Now have you ever dyed someone’s hair? I think I have all the supplies.”

Purchases :
For Sayana:
- Red and black dress: 8 sm * (20 satin + 1.5 dyed + 4 lace-trim) = 20.4 gm
- Akajia Robe (35 gm)
- Burglar’s Vest (75 gm)
- Thieves’ Tools (30 gm)
- Healer’s Kit (50gm)
- Daggers (6) (2gm x 6) = 12 gm
- Disguise kit – 10 uses (50 gm)
- Simple Make-up – 10 uses (10 gm)
- Simple black mask (3 sm)
- Bladed boots – for climbing (18 gm)
- Gripping Resin – 4 uses for climbing x 2 (10 gm x 2) = 20 gm
- Grappling hook (1 gm)
- Rope (1 gm)
- Leather gloves (5 sm * 2 leather + 1.5 dyed, per pair (3)) = 5.25 gm
- Basin, gallon (3 sm)
- 1 lb Lye soap (5 sm / lb)

For Nephti:
- Tarot cards (15 gm)
- Black cloak (5 sm *1.5 dyed) = 0.75 gm
- Black dress (8 sm * 1.5 dyed) = 1.2 gm
- Cosmetic kit (25 gm)

Total: 370.7 gm
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Nephti on December 15th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Nephti found herself to be useless. The previous day, when Sayana had disappeared on a conquest to regather her possessions, the slave had stayed hidden Underground, no abilities to offer with sneaking into the room in a Cubacious Inn. The woman seemed to shop and sneak around constantly, Nephti just watching from the sidelines.

The next morning, the slave went with her mistress, following her through the labyrinths of alleyways and dark streets, hiding in the shadows. Every few steps, and Sayana would gesture for the two to hide from unseen evil. She knew exactly what Sayana was scared of: the zith, and Nephti was just as scared of them.

At last, they stumbled on a run-down house, which Sayana struggled to open, picking at the lock until something clicked, and they could enter. This was bad. They were breaking and entering, and while it did look rundown, someone - or something - could easily be living there. Would they truly live in this squalor? Filth lined the floor, the furniture warn and coated with a thick layer of dust. Even if no one did live her, she certainly did not want to become the next inhabitant.

Unfortunately, Sayana had made up her mind and disappeared with the intent of purchasing more items, explaining how she wanted a new look. A disguise, for her to hide behind from the Zith. And while she was gone, Nephti would make staying in the shack a little bearable. Somehow, there was a broom, hidden away under one of the beds, as if the previous owner had wanted to forget that this place could be cleaned. She began to sweep, collecting dust of the floor, pushing it off the scarred table and dusting the bedframes.

Piles of grey, lifeless material built up in one corner, until they were swept out with the slow and steady brushstrokes. It was a long, tiring process, leaving trails of dust where the broom didn't reach and requiring constant redoing.

Then, once somewhat satisfied that the room no longer had the unbearable amount of dust, Nephti stripped the beds of the sheets, beating them with the handle of the brush. Clouds of dust flew into the air, biting into her eyes, and she coughed from the dust, glad she had taken the sheets outside. After what seemed like bells of airing the sheets, she returned inside, taking a few chimes rest.

Sayana appeared while she was still resting, armful of new things to place on the worn down table. The tarot cards stood out, something Sayana would never buy for herself. She hadn't. The Eypharian woman had decided to not only treat the girl to the cards, but also a cloak, dress and cosmetic kit. She took the tarot cards eagerly, shuffling through them. They were beautifully drawn, detailed figures tracing the outline. The best money could buy, and Nephti shuffled through them, enjoying the feel of a fresh pack. A fresh pack for a fresh start.

"Thank you," she smiled, placing them back down again, "I don't know... but I can try. And then, I read the cards to you. Thank you." The Eypharian moved over to the dye, taking it in one hand and waiting for her next instruction. She was so unskilled, with so much that Sayana had to teach her. "Mix with water?" she questioned, and if given an affirmative, would do so. If Sayana instructed anything else, she would do that instead.

Nephti
Player

Words: 198805
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 5:44 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on December 18th, 2015, 10:56 pm

Sayana gave a smile as she watched the girl shuffle through the cards admiring the images on them. There was innocence about her, despite all she had gone through. The Eypharian gave a nod at Nephti’s suggestion. “Yes, do a reading. See what our future has in store for us or whether we are destined to become a zith’s breakfast.” There was a bit of teasing to her voice, but friendly teasing. Then with some more sincerity she added, “I’m curious as to how it is done, and what you might find.”

She pulled up a chair and positioned it with its back to the table. Next, she set the basin nearby and also the lye soap. “Maybe mix it with a little water, but not too much,” Sayana instructed, not entirely sure how much she could dilute the dye. “But first, we need to use the soap. It is special soap that takes the colour out from my hair. But be careful. It’s strong. You might need to use a cloth.”

Once everything seemed in order, she took a seat and tipped her head back to rest on the edge of the table. She gave a slight sigh, glad to be able to sit and not feel that her life was in danger. “I was told that it might take some time. And if your mid hands are free… you could always start reading me that fortune of yours.”

She hadn’t really expressed interest in Nephti’s passions before. Nephti had merely been her slave. Yet now… Things seemed to be changing. Maybe it was the simple fact that Sayana could no longer parade Nephti about as something she owned. Or maybe it was the fact that given the chance, Nephti hadn’t actually run free. There was a small degree of trust forming, even if it was only one way. And she found herself starting to care for Nephti. Not only her physical health and well-being but something more.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nephti on December 20th, 2015, 11:31 am

Sayana seemed interested in her talent, something she hadn't really shown before. Then again, so much had changed, and Nephti had realised she knew so little about the older Eypharian. She sat with her back to the water, giving her instructions. Nephti nodded, starting to wash out her hair.

She used a cloth to help with the soap, using her upper arms to scrub at her hair, taking the colour out of Sayana's hair. Her lower arms kept everything steady and Nephti worked hard, taking the cards in her mids. Just like Sayana had suggested, she began to shuffle the cards.

Her focus was momentarily distracted as the soap almost slipped from her hands, delaying the reading until she caught it again, glad it hadn't fallen and slipped across the room. Cursing herself inwardly, she shuffled slower, careful not to drop anything.

As she came onto mixing the dye with a little water, Nephti took three cards, laying them on the table a little distance from the water basin. As she did, she spoke to the natural forces of the world, a lilting Eypharian, "Show me the past, present, future. Show what is in store for myself and my mistress. Help guide our way, help us please."

The three cards came gently, the first a reversed Two of Cups. It held an image of two people, but as it was reversed, it was obvious this image meant the obvious of what the card spoke. Not two people in unison, but separate, no harmony. It spoke of the lack of trust and lack of relationship between the two Eypharians. "Bad relationship, us," she explained what she had seen to the woman, taking her hair in her hands. Time to start dying.

Nephti brushed out the tangles, soft movements not to hurt her, as her main focus was on the next card, signifying the present. The next card was the next cup, the Three of Cups, with an image of three dancing figures, goblets raised. This wasn't reversed - so this image represented what was happening.

"They dance, happy, together - friends." Was this what Nephti and Sayana were now? Friends? Much more than before, that was clear. The girl had the choice to leave her mistress, yet she had followed her into the shadows, knowing the danger. Surely something had changed, something that had brought them together.

Her eyes lingered on the last card. It seemed to mean more than before. Somehow, this card would speak a lot more than a simple future.

The Ten of Swords. A man, laying face down, back-stabbed. "Defeat, betrayal." She spoke Eypharian, soft and gentle. "An ending. A bad one." Her face showed despair. Surely the gods did not have this planned for one of them. No, fortune telling showed possibilities. With hope and persistence, they could do anything. This card meant nothing. At least, not in the way they expected it.

oocI hope my reading was alright. If there are any problems, just say.

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on December 22nd, 2015, 11:23 pm

Sayana relaxed in the chair as Nephti began working on her hair with the lye soap. A new look. Perhaps it wasn’t the best choice to appear even more distinguishable with red hair, but it was new and different, and very much her. They’d get through. Somehow they’d manage to get through, even if Sayana had to pick off each zith one by one to ensure their safety.

As Nephti began her reading, Sayana curiously peered over to the table. Though with a yank of her hair she made sure to keep her head still and only glance with her eyes. A two of cups. Nephti said it was bad. Their relationship over the last season had been that of a master and slave, and Sayana had not held back when she had been hard on the girl. The present, dancing. She couldn’t help but feel a glimmer of hope when the girl seemed to speak almost fondly. Was it just the cards, or did she genuinely mean what she said? Lastly, the future. The Eypharian waited in anticipation and for a tick she wondered if the girl was using her hypnotism magic on her. She had originally scoffed at the idea that Nephti’s previous owners would have been so charmed by the power of the fortune telling, and yet now the idea didn’t seem so foolish.

Betrayal. A bad ending. Her stomach clenched a little. Were they going to be caught by the zith? But wasn’t this about their relationship? Would Nephti somehow betray her? Would she betray Nephti? Several emotions played across her face despite trying to keep a calm outwards appearance. Surprise, confusion, suspicion. It was nearly a full chime before she spoke.

“You know, if you’d rather be sold to another family, or leave Alvadas entirely, you could just say so.” Sayana spoke rather directly. “Although, I’m not sure why you would have followed me into the Underground if that were the case.” And yet, the girl had spoken well in regards to the present. Were these riddles made to bluff or scare? Or was she actually trying to read into the future?

“A life with me may have plenty of danger,” she continued after a pause. “This…” She gestured to the room and their circumstances. “… is something that could be much worse. Yet it could also be much better. I consider it temporary. We might stay here in Alvadas or explore the world. But betrayal… If I live to survive it then I have been known to hold grudges.”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nephti on December 25th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Sayana displayed a quick burst of emotion to the betrayal. Was she scared? Suspicious of what Nephti might do? The girl had become loyal, but how was the woman to know that? She began to speak directly, after a chime of silence. She spoke of Nephti leaving her, almost welcoming the idea. But the Eypharian had nowhere to go, and wouldn't leave. She was faithful, and would remain so. Sayana had grown on her in a strange way and for now the girl would cling to the only other of her race that she knew.

Besides, the city needed her, Sayana needed her, Priskil needed her to stay and provide light and hope. Priskil needed her to be the light in the shadows, to restore order to the city changed overnight.

She understood the dangers. But they were everywhere, and without someone to protect her, a lone girl would be helpless. Staying with Sayana would be safer. The conditions were nice, but alone would be worse.

Sayana meant to sell her, if Nephti chose to leave, but the slave girl knew that if she was passed to another family, she would free herself. Her current life was exactly what she wanted. She wouldn't be able to cope with having to gain a mistress' trust again. She wanted to explore Alvadas, to explore the world.

"I want to stay with you." The words were blunt, almost interrupting. Of course, Sayana warned her of what would happen if the girl betrayed her. But Nephti could not see herself doing such a thing. "On Priskil, I won't betray you." The candor of her speech shone through. A promise on Priskil was a promise she wouldn't break.

Without another word, she began to apply the dye, watching as dark brown hair transformed to red, watching her hands stain with the dye. Almost with blood. As if she had already betrayed the promise. She must have read the card wrong, misunderstood its meaning. Nephti would never claim to be an expert - this was just the sign of a novice.

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on December 27th, 2015, 7:32 pm

“Then you may stay.”

Something had changed between them. There was something resembling trust. Nephti seemed to speak in earnest about her goddess and that she really was loyal to Sayana. Hope shone in the girl’s eyes and Sayana had the desire to see Nephti blossom into a woman and realize her full potential. Was this what it felt like to be a mother? Only time would tell.

With a genuine smile, the Eypharian reached out to one of Nephti’s hands, the one with the mark. Gently she caressed the palm with her thumb and then released her.

“My little light, burn all the more brightly,” she spoke softly in Arumenic. She closed her eyes and rested her head back as Nephti finished the colouring of her hair.

OOCShort, but I hope it was short and sweet to finish up.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fable on January 9th, 2016, 6:30 pm

S A Y A N A

a d r o i t . a c c r e t i o n s
    ❁ teaching 1
    ❁ negotiation 1

e s p i e d . e r u d i t i o n
    ❁ none

r e c o m p e n s e . a n d . r e t r i b u t i o n
    ❁ Sayana now has a ruddy head of hair! Due to Nephti's competency, the dye will fade more towards a rusty brown after a season if not reapplied.
    ❁ red and black dress with lace trim
    ❁ Akajia robe
    ❁ burglar’s vest
    ❁ thieves’ tools
    ❁ healer’s kit
    ❁ 6 daggers
    ❁ disguise kit – 10 uses
    ❁ simple make-up – 10 uses
    ❁ simple black mask
    ❁ bladed climbing boots
    ❁ 2 gripping resin – 4 uses for climbing
    ❁ grappling hook
    ❁ rope
    ❁ leather gloves (Please notate in your CS what color dye for each pair)
    ❁ basin, gallon
    ❁ 1 lb lye soap
    ❃ -370 GM and 7 SM

d e t e r m i n a t i v e . d i c t a
Interesting turn of relationship! I wasn't able to give you a larceny point due to the ease and speed in which she unlocked the door. Lock picking is difficult, and at four points, it would take at least a half chime with a pretty high chance of breaking one of your tools before you would be able to get through the mechanisms, even in a simple lock. You've been playing much better to your skills, just remember to always ask yourself twice or thrice if it was completed with too much ease - it's often common to move things along for the sake of the story's flow rather than to spend the time and effort needed to complete the skill. :)

N E P H T I

a d r o i t . a c c r e t i o n s
    ❁ cleaning 1
    ❁ endurance 1
    ❁ socialization 1
    ❁ cosmetology 2
    ❁ rhetoric 1
    ❁ fortune telling 1
    ❁ philosophy 1
    ❁ persuasion 1

e s p i e d . e r u d i t i o n
    ❁ cosmetology: dying hair

r e c o m p e n s e . a n d . r e t r i b u t i o n
    ❃ As no gloves were used, Nepthi's hands will be stained a burnished red for the remainder of the season.
    ❁ tarot cards
    ❁ black cloak
    ❁ black dress
    ❁ cosmetic kit

d e t e r m i n a t i v e . d i c t a
Did she make the right choice to stay? I suppose only time will tell! Just as a note on the fortune telling, in the future, I would like to see a little more consideration of the images and meanings on Nephti's part. I'm sure you are aware, but fortune telling is a very intimate process with as many meanings to the cards as there are words. From this point on, to gain competent experience or higher, please spend a little more time mulling over meanings rather than just assigning them (which is what a novice would do). Otherwise, good work! I enjoy the supplementary plot that fortune telling brings to threads!
Fable
A yarn is spun from many strings.

Words: 267393
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 6:17 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)