[Antinous Training Grounds] A Horrible Mistake. Pt. II

Continuation of a previous thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ball on January 15th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Immediately follows from this Thread, which can be found here.
"My Speaking" My Thoughts

14th of Winter, 515.

As the squire before him called out Ball's bluff the Pycon's monocular eye narrowed slightly, his mouth shifted to a hard pressed line of clay his fingers twitched slightly as the line cracked and curved upward. He was grinning slightly. “Smart boy. So let's keep going with this lesson then. Gods know you are going to need it.” As the sword came stabbing forward to the three inch squire it was a blur of his body as the clay shifted forward and up, knocking the blade hard from the left. It was in that blocking deflection that Ball stepped forward, he rolled hard forward a slight lunge mid roll projected him beyond the blade's reach further closing the gap that the squire before Ball had earlier. Let's see you use that shield.

His hand pressed the ground as his body started to drop against the ground, it was a nudging push towards into the air, shifting his trajectory and renewing the speed in which he closed the gap between ground and Alexander. The speed regained gave Ball a renewed vigor in his movements, there was no flux involved as the danger to both sparring squires as well as others in the vicinity would be unpredictable. The soft drop to the ground before Alex was enough for Ball to see the shift in the boy's shadow. It was a subtle shift but Ball's height forced him to turn his attention just briefly upwards, the boy's arm shifted slightly behind his shield. He was hiding something, not sure what though, but Ball had a suspiciously feeling it wasn't a flower or a lump if clay.

It was a smart tactic though for some races, or opponents, but for Ball? The Pycon wasn't sure what he had planned to use a secondary weapon behind a shield for. It was a roll forward that finished the closing of the gap, he looked up as the passed by the hidden hand and saw the quick glint of steel in the squire's hand before it was gone again. A full roll and Ball popped up and threw his weight into the first punch towards Alex's ankle. It was a hard strike, not something completely out of Ball's standard repertoire of attacks, in fact it was almost like it was his signature move.

The fight went from just swinging swords and dodges to all out attacks now from the Pycon. Question is, will Alexander Faircroft survive?

Credit :
Created goes to Raus for aiding in the photo manipulation, Myself for color and transparency manipulation as well as box code. Character is accredited below
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Archailist on January 15th, 2016, 5:44 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

Archailist was surprised. Impressed, even. The boy's got more talent than he was letting on. At the very least, he learns quickly. Last time Arch had even seen the boy, Alex had continously refused to take up arms against an unarmed opponent. He'd barely needed any prompting at all today though, to take up both sword and shield against someone even smaller than Arch had been. Maybe if we have our own fight again, he'll actually give it a little more effort than before. That hinged on whether or not he'd ever accept another battle opportunity. It looked like things were far from over. Ball's lies were unacceptable for the battle but that was the only thing he'd interfere in. This was supposed to be a lesson, after all. He wouldn't coddle the boy through every twist and turn. Even if he wanted to, Ball would hear every word and could anticipate his attacks. Speaking of interferences...

"Iros. This is my lesson, not yours. I invited you. You don't get to hand out advice to my pupils unless I allow it." He spoke quietly but with all the authority he could muster. True, there was a drastic difference in rank between them both but this time, Iros had overstepped his line, whether he knew it or not.

"That's Ser Iros. Furthermore, he's not your pupil. He's a squire and his patron is right over there. Speaking of which, so are you. Back-talk to me again and I won't authorize any more free time to give these so-called lessons." So much for authority. Ser Iros could really be a pain in the backside when he wanted to be and now of all times was not a good time for his power complex to take over. He was trying to concentrate on the battle and prepare for when they'd have to intervene.. which, looking by the way Ball had suddenly turned his offensive up several notches, would likely be arriving pretty quickly. If Alex didn't move his foot, that hit on the ankle was probably gonna hurt. A lot.

"I understand that we are patron and squire. You are mentor and I am student. However, for the purposes of today, in this arena, for Alex, I need to be a mentor. He might have others and so might I, but you are not one of them, Ser. Don't intervene, unless I--" Iros was already moving. Had he listened to anything? It was just an ankle shot. "Iros, no!" he hissed between clenched teeth. Not yet. Not now, at least. We still need to see where he'll go and what he'll do. Act too soon and this whole thing will have been for nothing.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 15th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Alex calmed himself slightly. The small thread, a tiny point, broad as a hair. Still it existed it was within Alex’s sight he had a plan and he had an idea. Within a fraction of a tic the plan fell to pieces. The tiny pycon’s words reached Alex’s ears. Smart boy…Something about the words of the small pycon seemed off. Strange even as if he knew what Alex had planned all along. And again it started the racing in his ears, the thump of a will to flee to run. No! Hold your ground confront this! As Alex’s sword hand reached full extension. The full transparency of what had happened hit him. His target had vanished…No his blade had been pushed to the side and the small clay figure was now closing the gap, cutting that tiny thread. Alex couldn’t think for a brief moment, the weight of the situation building on him. Still Alex had the dagger he had something. And now was just a moment to think about how to use the information.

Think, dammit think… And then the other squire was gone. Vanished from sight. Until Alex felt the thud. A resounding clang of clay on steel. And with the added pall of loose sand beneath his foot he couldn’t hold his ground. Ball’s strike on his ankle had knocked his leg out from beneath him. Thankfully the loose sand and the plate minimised the damage. Still the shock of the hit sent a pain shooting up his leg. Stabbing into his hip. He gritted his teeth and fell. Most of his body weight forwards he managed to bring himself down to catch on his knee. The sand pluming from the impact. Glancing down. Looking for the offending ball of pain he caught sight of his quarry. Swords too far out…Wait I have a way. I can still do this. Alex brought his sword arm straight back as fast as he could. His shield arm being close to his torso he shunted downwards right atop ball’s head. Adding the weight of his sword and other arm to the full momentum of his upper body he intended use the weight and breadth of his shield to crush the other squire beneath.

But was this the right option? Given how fast the small pycon had closed the gaps. And how he’s tried to confuse him? No he’d said it himself if he got in close. He wasn’t going to give up this range. This was his area. His space. Alex needed to retake it and regain some semblance of control in the battle. A glint burned in the squires eyes. He was in dire straits but he still had hope. He still had a thread bare strand of hope. And he was going to grasp it with everything he had.

---

In the distance, Ser Greyheart had been listening in on Iros and Archailist’s conversation. Standing no more than five feet from them. Up until this point he’d chosen to stay quiet but as the conversation lingered on, a small frown of discontentment crawled across his face. Something wasn’t right in the relationship between the Squire and the Knight. Clearly Ser iros wasn’t giving his squire enough credit for his actions. He could see as clearly as Archailist could that this wasn’t over quite yet. When Iros stepped forwards that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. An armoured gauntlet clamped down on the pauldron of ser Iros as Ser Greyheart spoke calmly but with an edge of irritation to his voice.

“Iros. Your squire is right. This is his lesson and not yours. He asked us both to be here. And as far as I’m concerned, “my” Squire is learning from a damn good set of teachers. So stay where you are. And do not move to interrupt until I do. That is the moment we intervene not a moment sooner.” As he spoke he glanced back at Archailist and smiled a little with a knowing wink just out of iros’ vision range. Before speaking up again. “And the next time you want to pull rank on someone of lower station just remember. The calibre of a man is measured not in their authority, but how they treat those with less power and authority. And just in case you want it in simper terms, sit down, shut up, and do as ordered. I can play that game too, and guess what I’m better at it.” A stern glare met Ser Greyheart’s eyes as he looked Iros dead in the face before tilting his head towards the bench.

“As for you squire archailist. Mind your tone next time when speaking to a superior. Otherwise…You’re in the right here.” A small smile met Greyhearts face as he turned back to see the event before him. What just happened didn’t sit well with the sense of justice he carried. And hoped he’d instilled in Alex.
Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Archailist on January 15th, 2016, 8:27 pm

His attention was split between squires and knights. Out in the arena, Alex had taken a direct hit and already he was down to a knee. It's already over. He'd let it draw out a little longer, just to see if there was anything else that could bring Alex back from the edge. Likely not. He'd lost his one advantage. Now all he had was a shield more cumbersome than effective, along with a sword too long and ungainly to ever be of use in unarmed combat with something as small and fast as Ball.

At the sidelines, just as Iros was about to rush forwards and shield Alex from further damage, a firm hand stopped him. Well. Not the first time that a knight has come to my side but it's certainly the most rewarding. Perhaps because it was likely only Archailist who understood, in that moment, just how Ser Greyheart had deeply insulted the Akalak in just a few short sentences. Always, from the first moments they'd met, Iros had enforced his law - a knight was only a knight if he had the strength to back his claim. It was the best, it was the only way, to test a warrior of any degree. Yet now a Sergeant knight was lecturing him on the true measure of a person. Debasing his core beliefs without leaving room for retort. Iros stepped back. "Of course, Ser. Oh, how the tendons on the Akalak's neck looked right then. Taller than the peaks of the Cobalt Mountains.

But, ultimately, the hulking knight turned and marched to the bench. He still had his Evantia aura on and kept both squires just within the outer edge. After all, regardless of his personal feelings on the matter, he'd follow instruction and keep guard for Alex's safety. That, at least, he wouldn't compromise. Archailist was left standing next to Ser Greyheart, struggling to conceal a rather large grin threatening to take over his entire face, while he watched the battle continue to unfold.

"Alex is very lucky to have a patron like you." He only spoke when he was absolutely sure Iros was out of earshot. As much as he respected Iros as a seasoned fighter, a knight of the Order and a person generally much more well-versed in the workings of life given his ridiculous age, he couldn't wait until he was free of the Akalak's oppressive eye. There were so many things he wished to do, yet still couldn't. Places to see and explore. Powerful and interesting people to meet. Not yet, though. "I think we need to keep a close eye, Ser Greyheart. If one punch brings Alex down to a knee, several more won't do any good either." It was always difficult to gauge how much of an effect a punch would have on someone.. after all, some were more experienced and generally hardy than others. Now they had a pretty good grasp, it was looking.. well, at least his leg wasn't broken. He hoped. "Besides, what defense he had is gone now."
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ball on January 19th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Ball shifted as Alex dropped, his body turning as the shadow of his opponent grew large and shield shaped above him. It was a splitting of a tick that Ball had to react, the shield was closing the gap and Ball reacted. He didn't dodge it instead he struck out against it. Lining up his tightly bound fist towards the center of the shield, where Alex's arm stretched across the steel and was lashed to it. It wasn't hard to strike the large broad target as it came down towards him. As soon as he connected with it though Ball rolled forward, his hands grabbing a hold of the lip of the shield and pulling it towards his three inch body and then back up.

The object was to use Alex's weight and lack of balance against him. The sudden jolt of pain that would be created from the struck shield was hopefully enough to cause the squire to cry out in pain and become distracted or disoriented. As soon as the shield cleared his full height Ball stood straight and waited for Alex to come crashing to the ground. Using the pluming cloud from his initial hit to mask his lack of movement. The brief altercation between knights and Squirrel Pycon were ignored by Ball, he had other issues to deal with.

Hands held down by his sides, hanging open loosely as if he knew the fight was over. Yet something about the smirk on Ball's face echoed otherwise. This fight had only just begun. Once Alex was on the ground Ball leaned in and looked Alex right in the eyes and spoke, “Get up. Arm yourself and try again.” Turning he stepped away from Alex until he was twice Alex's height away and turned back to face Alex. “Now. Do it again. This time, try and dictate my next move. If you are going to pull a dagger out in an attempt to use it as a secondary weapon. Use it.. Don't just hold it there behind your shield. You want to survive out there? Against the enemy? Use your tactics, don't hesitate.”

The Pyken master paused holding a hand up at Alex, indicating to wait a second. Turning to the knights and Archailist he sighed, “Next time you want to come at me Ser Iros. I suggest not making your moves known to the others. Just imagine if you were on the field of combat against me. You have experience and reach against me… But I have something you don't.” He turned his full attention to the Akalak, “I don't back down. I faced two knights. You really think you scare me? I faced Ser Imass and Ser Markus Andres. I faced a sea monster that can crush ships and knights alike. I faced a spitting bird that can burn flesh and turn clay to stone. And yet you want to come at me? Try to blind side me?” Ball knew exactly how the knight was feeling after his scolding from the other knight, Ball was pushing those buttons hard and he knew it.

“I suspect you have not been informed by your squire exactly who I am. I. Am. Ball. Ask around. Ask your squire what I am capable of doing. Go ask your fellow knights.” Ball knew his height was not intimidating, but he hoped his reputation was enough to deter Iros from doing it again against his superior's orders. Ball turned back to Alex and motioned for Alex to come at him, “Now. This time… Hit me, because I won't be playing games.”

Credit :
Created goes to Raus for aiding in the photo manipulation, Myself for color and transparency manipulation as well as box code. Character is accredited below
Last edited by Ball on February 16th, 2016, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 19th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Alex brought his weight down with the shield. An impact a point of resonance. Alex felt his shield connect with something. Yes! He thought to himself until the pain spread through his arm and shoulder. Surging like a fire burning. And before he could even get a grasp on his current situation he could feel the shield twisting. As he pulled back the shield went down dragging him off balance and before he could correct it he felt himself rolling with the shield tumbling surging forwards. The sand slashing like water from the impact weight of his body and the steel plate. Now sprawled out on the ground he groaned loudly, and coughed dryly. And then came the realisation. His shield was a hindrance. And it’d cost him his footing his position and the round. He grit his teeth on the ground. Damnit!

Then came the gloats. The ruling words of superiority. He’d seen the dagger. No wonder he wasn’t being cautious he was just doing the one thing he did, close the gap. Alex had been too focused on planning a possible strategy to close the skill gap or at least make him wary about coming close. But that was the problem. He wanted to be in close and Alex had to keep him at range. As much as the words cut into him he was right. He’s thought too much and acted too little. Crunching his hand with the shield into a ball he let his sword go as ball continued to speak. Whilst he did so he unbuckled the straps on his shield. As he did looking at the upside down pycon he watched him tell off ser Iros. Had he tried to intervene? And his words cemented what Alex had both come to know and feared from the very start. This “ball” Didn’t know the meaning of fear. And that was what allowed him to close the gap so quickly with so little worry.

Alex then rolled back over. The pain in his body minimised by the plate. Thankfully. The loose sand also provided some protection against the initial hit’s strength. Alex Rolled over onto his stomach and then pushed up onto a knee. Glaring at ball. A deep fire in his eyes and a edge to his voice that wasn’t there before. A tint of rage.
“Gladly.” A smile crawled across the Squires face, he was hurting but he wasn’t incapacitated yet. He pushed up off of the floor his shield now in his hand. Glancing over to his patron he tossed him the heavy piece of steel. “Ser Greyheart, Look after that, and Archailist do me a favour please. Collect me a great-sword from the quarter master’s training weapons.” He rose back up from the ground his bastard sword in his right hand. Rolling his wrist and shaking out the pain in his left hand. He rose. He knew what he had to do and that was the only thing he could do. Keep ball away from his space. Whirling the sword around his wrist. A simple trick that he’d learnt to copy from his patron he sank into a double handed stance. His body positioned to the left is right arm forwards. And the tip of the sword pointed at ball.

“You want me to fight you with intent to hit you…Alright then.” A resolve burned in the boys eyes. He grit his teeth and stepped back from the small squire resetting the basic distance they had before. A large pain radiating through his back and shoulders from the point of contact with the ground. He groaned and then took a half step forwards digging his heel into the sand sending a thick spray of it into the air blocking the view of Alex’s blade as he took a large sweeping strike to the left starting his bow from the opposite side motioning his grip around to swing whilst the sand was still hopefully obscuring ball’s vison.

---

Ser Greyheart listened in on the jibbing taunts at Ser Iros. And although he agreed with a few of them he couldn’t help but retort himself.
“You faced an unranked knight and a sergeant knight. Like myself. And I agree your prowess with Py-ken is formidable, and possibly even too much for my own squire to handle. But careful squire. Or else you’ll learn just what it means to be a knight. And why we are and you are not.” A twinge of his pride had been struck by balls comments. Looking down at arch Sebastian nodded and spoke again.

“Archailist please do as he bids, both myself and Iros need to be here in case something goes awry. Mention my name and you’ll be back in exactly one minute.” Sebastian then looked over at Iros. “This may require both of us. But he’s right. If you’d tried to blindside him. I’m pretty sure you’d have ended up in a similar situation to my squire just then.” Image
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Archailist on January 19th, 2016, 5:24 pm

He'd missed a great deal, apparently. Alex had thrown everything into a last, desperate attempt to take over control of the situation - but failed, and now he was dead. Would have been, at least, if this was a real battle with sharpened steel and lethal blows. At least I know he's learned something from this. He'd known from the start that Alex wouldn't win, it was why he'd invited Ball in the first place. Even in the unanimous victory, he felt a little disappointed though. He'd tried well, very well; but still not enough. "He's right you know, Alex. You can't stand there and keep backing away to keep range forever." True, it seemed like there was very little the boy could do without opening himself up for counter-attacks, but hey, that was just a risk he'd have to take. At least if he made a mistake here, he'd know not make the same one on the real battlefields. "Make use of your environment. And your size!"

He could only hope his advice wasn't falling on deaf ears. At least he could be quite sure that Ball wasn't paying attention, since he was far too busy goading Ser Iros. Not a good move, at all. Eylin was almost immediately back on his feet, the Sergeant's words all but forgotten as he stared daggers down at the little clay man. "You really think you can intimidate me?" He turned over to Ser Greyheart but only seemed to grow angrier at the reply from the Sergeant. "I have never met a squire more arrogant, more hostile... I have never met a squire as unfit to be a knight as this one. I don't understand how in Wysar's good graces you could ever agree with him." Then he turned back. "You've evidently forgotten when I had to intervene to stop you, Ball, from attacking civilians without alerting any of the local knights, and I know for a fact that isn't the only, nor even the worst offense you've made in your time here." He took a deep breath.

"SER IROS!" The knight wasn't listening.

"You think your reputation makes you some force to be feared but I'll tell you what, I'll give you the truth, your reputation is for being an utter pain in the backsides of the squires and knights alike that you come across, and that has nothing to do with your combat ability. Next time you make snide accusations on the assumption that I am here for any other purpose than protection of other squires because you are all-too-well known for the utter lack of compassion or respect for your fellow sparring partners, you'd best keep them to yourself, where they damn well belong."

"SER IROS, GET OUT." The knight looked down, then to Ser Greyheart, and the many other members of the Training Grounds. Even the Sergeant seemed taunting, suggesting that he would lose to a squire - a squire! Not because he actually felt the need to obey the order of his own squire, Eylin turned and marched to the entrance archway of the Training Grounds to stand outside, even farther from the bench than before.

Arch had nearly had enough. Sylir help me. Wysar help me. Gods, what have I done to deserve this lunacy. "Yes, of course. Let me just go and fetch this giant great-sword. You know, me. Fetch a great-sword. Wonderful idea." His voice died away to incoherent mumblings so that Ser Greyheart wouldn't hear the dripping sarcasm in his voice as he turend on-heel and picked out one of the larger metal-core wooden training greatswords. Picked out, but couldn't pick up. The thing was pretty heavy and absolutely massive. Thankfully, asking a fellow squire very politely seemed to do the trick. Felt a lot like pity as the young girl crouched down to pat the Pycon on the head like a small animal, before she picked up the giant sword in both arms and carried it over to Alex, where the Pycon pointed. "Thank you very much, dear. Now, Alex, make good use of it! All of it!"
Last edited by Archailist on January 19th, 2016, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ball on January 19th, 2016, 6:27 pm

Ball turned to the knight and stepped forward, “I forgot nothing of the sorts. You know what I recall? A cloaked figure pulling for a weapon. I did what was necessary to keep the people of our city safe as I saw fit. Were my actions appropriate? Not after the fact they weren't I was in the wrong. I took my punishment. And as for the utter pain in the arse to my fellow squires and superiors I will not deny that. Yet I don't see you training Squirrel Pycon to survive against people in combat when his life is on the line. I don't see you showing him how to fight to his capacity. I know what he is capable of. I seen what he is capable of. I trained with him, put my fists against his. Against other squires. You honestly believe I would endanger my brothers and sisters?”

Ball watched the Akalak get told to back down, Ball did not stop though, he continued on, “Do you seriously think I am here to destroy them? I teach them a lesson they can't learn in a spar against a patron. I give them the harsh reality that their opponent may be smaller than them and appear unequipped to fight. An easy win for them. Then I show them how wrong they are, I teach them the reality that their opponents are not what they always appear. If you seriously expect me to just cow to your words Akalak, you are sorely mistaken.” Ball turned in disgust as the great sword was delivered as requested.

He waited for Alex to take the weapon, or have it set aside of later use. The three inch squire nodded to Alex, “Whenever you are done twirling your sword about I am ready.” In the far edge of his sight Ball kept the Akalak in his sights, knowing full well he was pushing buttons and angering the Akalak. Ser Iros wants to patronize me… He can come at me too. He maybe a knight… A Ser… But I am not. I am something far different.

Credit :

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 19th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Alex had adjusted to the pain in his leg, arm and back in the time it’d taken for the squire to get a different sword for him to use. Ser Greyheart tossed Alex the Great sword the metal cored wooden blade sailed through the air towards him. With a bit of lost balance he caught the wooden great sword along the blade. He’d need to work on his catching skill if he wanted to do something like that out in the proper field of battle. He grumbled to himself a little and slipped his bastard sword back into his belts sheath whirling the larger blade about his shoulders to get a better feel for it’s size and weight. It was an extra foot on the length of his bastard sword but that extra length was split between the handle and the blade. With that extra stretch of grip he could get a better hand hold and better leverage.

He held the blade at his side the cross guard level and the blade pointing straight up. He knew the weight and he wouldn’t have to worry too much if he actually made contact with the smaller squire. Steeling himself he took a moment to settle into the new weapons weight and size. Pain pulsing through his left arm. He took a step in towards ball. Kicking his heel across the sands and spraying a thick cloud of sand, grit, and dust into the air over ball’s head. As he did he used the momentum of his body to whirl the giant blade around and skate it through the sands towards the smaller squire. He intended to knock the smaller squire Airborne. From there he hadn’t formed a plan yet but the best thing he could do was keep him out in the open where he could watch him. A change of terrain wasn’t in the cards. This time the small dagger he’d kept in his hand he release towards ball using the cover of the cloud to mask it. If I can land even a single hit, I’d call it my win.

---

Grey heart had heard enough from Iros at this point leering at him slightly over his shoulder. He sighed. “Iros. Silence.” Two words carried weight. And authority as he spoke them. “Do you even realise what he’s doing? He’s provoking you. He has three witnesses that will attest to you having struck first. If you go in and rise to his mocking remarks. Be still. And be cautious.” He kept his gaze on his squire. He was using the great sword well but the balance was off he’d over arched the swing a little too much. And as such wasn’t well set up for a follow up attack. Or really any attack. And then came the frothing madness that was Iros spewing forth his bravado and machismo again. Ser Greyheart had had enough.

“Iros. You rise to his words. You let your temper get the better of you and you’re no better than he is. Calm yourself. Does Wysar not teach discipline? Exercise some now. And reign in your anger.” He gave a look of no reproach to Iros. If he left that seat for any other reason than Alex or ball was in danger, the latter much less likely. Then Sebastian would have him in his office being chewed out father than he could say forgive me.
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Archailist on January 19th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Shyke, he couldn't even leave for more than five ticks. He'd walked off for just a few moments and already there was more arguing. Ball, ranting and raving just as loudly as Iros had been, while the man was in retreat. Even Ser Greyheart. The whole place has turned raving mad. He was very, very tempted to turn around and leave then and there - leave them all to their own arguments, which they seemed very intent on continuing no matter how much he yelled. "Ball, stop." The very last thing he really wanted to do was to jump into a potential brawl between the arguing duo, but honestly, if they went on any further then they'd attract the attention of the Weaponmasters and all be hauled back out of the Grounds for disciplinary meetings. "Just drop it. We're not here to argue about any of this shyke, we're here to give a lesson. Don't make me regret inviting you here because I swear to Sylir I'm going to damn scream if all of you can't learn to get along and at least respect each-other like normal, decent members of the Order. For petch's sake I honestly thought that you were better than to take his words for truth."

His voice had become firm and tight, almost as if he truly was dangerously close to snapping like an elastic cord. Iros looked ready to make a retort but Ball's constant insults, Ser Greyheart's grave tone and Arch's dark stare and sharp-tongued words were enough to shove his own words back into his throat so hard that he nearly choked on them. This wasn't the time, nor the place, to say the wrong things. Even if he daren't make an actual move against Ball with his weapon under the watch of some of the most talented soldiers ever to grace their presence, after they all left, who knew what could end up happening. Not that the Akalak would ever purposefully seek out another squire to beat to a pulp, but there were always chance meetings, times spent out in the Bronze Woods unaccompanied.

"I don't want to hear another word out of either of you two." He pointed to Ball, then to Ser Iros. "I invited both of you here. Next time I'll invite someone else." That was about the extent of his power in this situation. Sure, he might have a Sergeant Knight somewhat on his side, but it wasn't as if he could physically drag his own patron from the arena, nor could he do the same with Ball. He desperately wanted to do it with both of them though. As much respect as he had for both, this behaviour.. from both of them, which was especially surprising for Ball, was.. childish! "Now let's get this done."

He turned back and watched Alex begin his assault. Sloppy with a larger, longer, heavier sword.. in fact he couldn't tell whether he was dragging it through the sand in that wide arc because he was trying to catch Ball off-guard or because it was so long and heavy that he was struggling to lift the huge thing. Funny, focusing on the big sword, he almost completely missed the smaller one thrown behind it. Huh. Throwing everything he had, looked like. A good tactic, kinda sneaky.. but a larger, heavier and slower weapon was going to be even easier to avoid than the smaller, lighter bastard sword. Better range but it's still going to end up slowing him down. A lot. Perhaps a bad move. But if he wants to make his own mistakes then he'll make them, better that I don't just tell him that off the bat.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next