Codex Discussion Thread

Let's talk about it!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Endrykas' Development Forum. Any and all OOC discussions, development projects, and silliness are contained within.

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 7th, 2016, 2:33 am

Yeah, please don't shut me out. Heh.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Ixzo on June 7th, 2016, 3:12 am

Good point, no need for excess, let me just retract this... xD
Ixzo
Lion of the Night

Words: 524570
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2015, 5:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Colt on June 18th, 2016, 3:44 pm

While this may or may not be relevant for the Codex, one thing I would be really interested in seeing is more information on the origins of the Drykas race, pre-Valterrian. To quote the codex:
Endrykas Codex wrote:Before the Valterrian, they lived in a highly successful civilization. They had libraries and temples, arenas and markets and understood as much of the world as any people. Luxuries and indulgences are not lost on the horseclans and neither are the old wisdoms of remembering history, making use of technology and the benefits of understanding one's environment.

While not confusing, this statement doesn't really give us a lot of information; saying that they had what everyone else had doesn't define them. I believe it's stated in the lore that they are of Alahean stock, so I assume that their highly successful civilization was a primarily Alahean civilization? Did the Drykas civilization have any defining characteristics beyond "as much as any other people?" Were the Drykas simply regular Alaheans, or were they a microculture within Alahea?
From the Alahea page, regarding the growth of the empire itself:
Alahea Wiki wrote:Viewing war as a last resort, the various Emperors sought to annex neighboring city-states with promises of grandeur and clever subterfuge, often promoting riots and fueling dissent within and without the ruling class. Supravia and Lyconia both joined Alahea around 7200 BV without bloodshed after Alahean wizards infiltrated them and caused the local noble houses to spiral out of control and into civil wars. Stepping in as an 'neutral' third party for humanitarian reasons, Alahea made sure the local populations viewed them as the only viable option for a future of peace, and awed their rivals with superior displays of magic. Their propaganda machine was unrivaled on Mizahar, and neighbors were always reminded that life was longer, safer and happier in Alahea.

A few states were given greater autonomy than the rest because of their fiercely independent traditions, such as the Eypharians, whom Alahea met and annexed around 6500 BV. Recognizing their obstinate ways, Alahea merely instituted a Protectorate and kept a watchful eye over the people of Eyktol. Not demanding tributes in the form of money, they allowed the Eypharian rulers to save face in front of their people, accepting instead the highly advanced products of Eypharian art and craftmanship in exchange for their "alliance". There was no doubt, however, that Alahea's reach went as far as the southern shores of Eyktol.

And then there's the fact that, in the history portion of the Drykas page, there seems to be evidence that the Drykas arose after the land around them was already under Alahean rule.
Drykas History wrote: Rakivas founded a herd and Serifal attracted companions… which bonded to each other. From those mares and stallions and their riders were born the Drykas and the Horseclans of Cyphrus. And like Serifal, the people who eventually populated the Grasslands were from strong Alahea stock, which simply meant their blood was touched by magic. They taught magic to their children, and their children's children, until the Grasslanders were a force unto themselves, using arcana in unique and interesting new ways. Unlike some of the rest of the world, The Drykas held tight to their ancient magics – the gift of their ancestors – and saw it through even the Valterrian, holding magic near their hearts.

There doesn't seem to be an exact age regarding the race's history, though I'd wager this means that the Drykas emerged from already-present Alahean culture. Still, I would assume that their culture diverged from mainstream Alahean culture at some point, even if just a little, due to the presence of their horses.

How much, exactly, did Pre-Valterrian Drykas life revolve around their horses? Were they just horse breeders that were especially attached to their horses, or did the bond exist as it does today? If it is the latter, how would the existence of a bond separate them from mainstream Alahean trends?

Another good resource I found was the Webbing page; the history section seems to have a large chunk of information regarding the development of the Drykas as a race instead of an Alahean offshoot, particularly in regards to strider intelligence.

It states that, sometime before striders developed the level of intelligence they have today, Alahean war officials seized the majority of the Drykas' horses to be used in the war against Suva. Again, I don't know exactly how deeply they were connected to their horses at that point, but I still imagine that such a loss would be staggering. It seems that this event was what prompted the creation of the first Web, which was slowly added to and grown in secret for the express purpose of protecting what remaining striders they still possessed. It also seems that, through the rebirth cycle, this is what ultimately caused striders to become so intelligent, as well as providing a communications and information network that could not be tracked by any mainstream Alahean official, and that this remained a secret until and after the Valterrian.

These are the conclusions I have drawn from the lore directly:
The Drykas were mainstream Alaheans that became connected to a special breed of horse. From the outside, they simply appeared to be breeders of especially swift horses.(?) At some point, the majority of their horses were confiscated to take part in the war, which prompted the creation of the Web. This Web began as a method to protect what horses they had left, but soon evolved into something more and kickstarted the evolution of strider intelligence. This continued until the Valterrian, after which they had independent access and rulership to the newborn Sea of Grass.

Now, while this give us a lot of information, there are still a few blanks to be filled in––and the biggest one for me personally is culture. We know what happened to the Drykas, but we don't really know who the Drykas were before the Valterrian. The lore states that they all lived in a place called Fort Endrykas, so they weren't nomadic, but they were also apparently located next to the sea. Did they participate in sea trade? How open were they to outsiders? What was different about Fort Endrykas when compared to other Alahean towns?

My biggest question, though, would have to be this: exactly how far did the Drykas diverge from mainstream Alahean culture before the Valterrian? Were they autonomous under the rule of the empire, or did they have to hide their culture?

Did they resent the empire after their horses were taken?
Exactly how much did they change for the sake of hiding their remaining horses? (Maybe they became awesome ninja-horsemen to keep their horses hidden?
How did the Drykas treat non-Drykas, or rather, Alaheans that were not born a part of their culture?
How did the empire treat the Drykas as a whole?
What did the Drykas value to be most important? (striders, family, magic, etc.)
How much ownership did they have over the land they lived on? Was it legally theirs, or was it owned by the empire and merely worked by them?
How was their leadership organized?
What would a common-born Drykas expect to learn growing up?
How common was magic?
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Brocton Firestone on June 18th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Colt + Drykas Histroy wrote:

From those mares and stallions and their riders were born the Drykas and the Horseclans of Cyphrus. And like Serifal, the people who eventually populated the Grasslands were from strong Alahea stock, which simply meant their blood was touched by magic.

Drykas and the Horseclans of Cyphrus.

This just might be a typo if not... Here is what I thought about this. Right away, I've imagined other Horseclans all about Mizahar. Dispersed more likely. Maybe their are different Horseclans in different domains? Though discovering ways of communication could be a toughy. Maybe they could use falcons to send messages? I'm sort of imagining this arrangement to be something like the 100? If anyone had seen that show. The different clans and culture of each clan? Maybe who each Horseclans is allied with one another? Thoughts?

I also agree with you Colt.
Brocton Firestone
Player

Words: 100439
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2016, 11:20 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Cyprus on June 18th, 2016, 5:54 pm

So far as I understand Cyphrus is a specific region in Mizahar not the whole of it. Plus a huge majority of the remainder of Mizahar is not exactly the best suited for migratory horse clans.
Cyprus
Player

Words: 4952
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2016, 12:41 am
Character sheet

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Brocton Firestone on June 19th, 2016, 12:33 am

Hey there Cyprus. Glad you've joined us here on Miz!

I'm not sure if your referring to my statement above or not. But, I just figured that it'd be something fun to have maybe. For more interesting g threads since it states in the lore of Drykas history that their could be more than one Horseclans. Perhaps in the deseerty domain a small location for the Drykas somewhere secured and well suited for growth and any chance of survival. Relying mostly on trades and gathering? Maybe in Faylander, a group of Drykas that revolved around Myrian like culture and what not? Just a thought. This is by all means a suggestion. So, don't need to be so intent on it. :)

It might not be even possible anyhow since the Drykas in the Cyphrus region have located the one of best geographical locations.

Oh also, that's the name I gave my horse on one of my alts lol, I thought that was really cool! :)
Brocton Firestone
Player

Words: 100439
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2016, 11:20 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Amunet on June 19th, 2016, 1:05 am

from what i understand, the Drykas pre valterrian had strongholds which hte foundations are some of the ruins on cyphrus. The Drykas remain mobile currently for safety reasons as post valterrian the world was quite a bit more dangerous.

Once webbing was established pre-valterrian, they could hide their numbers and know the numbers of those that entered their domain. Drykas magic was strong. Still is.

The drykas are supposed to be best known for archery on horseback. Not just prowess with sword and spear.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Cyprus on June 19th, 2016, 1:30 am

Haha yeah Brocton, when I read the Horseclans of Cyphrys part I assumed that they would be limited to the Sea of Grass in the Cyphrus region :P

Not only is the relationship with their horses unique it is in my opinion one of the biggest reasons (along with webbing of course) that they can survive in what is essentially the wilderness, and the webbing network is as far as I know 100% unique to the sea of grass.
Cyprus
Player

Words: 4952
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2016, 12:41 am
Character sheet

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Prophet on June 19th, 2016, 1:40 am

Timeout.

Horseclans = Drykas; Drykas = Horseclans

It extends no farther.

There are seven clans of Drykas and they stay in and around Endrykas. The only exception is the small percentage of large pavilions that move about the Sea of Grass on their own. Even these outliers still identify as Drykas, they trade with the city and probably only wander on their own in nicer weather.

While there are other races in other domains that utilize horses, none are so dominated by the relationship to horses as the Drykas which earned them the moniker of horseclans.

Related to the Drykas Pre-V History

Colt brought up the articles he found after discussing some things with me in a PM regarding the history of the Drykas. We are not rewriting anything. We are merely collecting already accepted data, organizing and condensing it into the codex so it can be easily accessed.

I have no issues with something like this being added to the codex. I encourage everyone to do their own research and contribute to the compilation. I will maintain oversight but I will not be helping to sift and sort. There's simply too much other development that needs to be done. By all means, continue this crusade for knowledge! Just make sure that no one is trying to write in new information and I won't have to be a bad guy. When all is said and done, an organized outline should be the final goal.

That is all.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Codex Discussion Thread

Postby Colt on June 19th, 2016, 1:56 am

Amunet: the webbing lore states that there was at least a single stronghold called Fort Endrykas located on the eastern coast (near Claridon?) although it looks like that was somewhat early in their history--at a point when they numbered 5000 as a whole, so presumably while they were fairly young as a race. I haven't found any other information about if any additional strongholds were built, if Fort Endrykas was a city or something else, or how spread out the Drykas were on the grasslands.

Since the web was established originally to hide their horses and keep them safe, I'm wondering if maybe that event could have been a tipping point for the Drykas lifestyle in regards to moving around. Not quite nomadic, exactly, but perhaps sort of a first draft of the skills they use today? If they didn't want officials to take any more of their horses, they would have had to move their horses to strategic locations, continue breeding and taking care of those horses, as well as be able to move at a moment's notice if they sensed something coming through the web. This sort of lifestyle wouldn't be for all Drykas, of course, just those that were in charge of the horses, who I imagine would have to be pioneers of the newborn webbing magic. Of course, this is all speculation based on the information we have, which isn't much.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)