Closed New Contacts (Brendero)

Sayana is looking for new contacts and meets a young Brendero

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Sayana on July 17th, 2016, 4:10 pm

Summer 42, 516 – Stallion’s Rear

There was a pervading air of distrust surrounding the city. Even the illusions seemed fearful in a strange way. Door locked unexpectedly, dead ends blocked normally busy streets, and whispers of doubt and confusion filled the air. That was why Sayana was out on the streets, to uncover more about what was going on and if she was lucky, gain some new contacts on the way.

The Eypharian wrapped her black robe tightly about her as she moved through the twisting, shifting streets. It concealed her mid and low arms, while her highs used the single pair of sleeves. People moved hurriedly and more than once she found herself gripping the hilt of one of her daggers due to some sudden movement. A red brick wall blocked her way. A dead end. As she turned around, she caught a brief glimpse of someone armed with a sword before they vanished behind a corner. That was one rumor that wasn’t just a rumor. Apparently a group called the Sheathewhisps were now patrolling the streets.

As she walked, a strange sign caught her attention. “No Pilgrims” There was also some strange ooze coating the edges. When she reached out to inspect it, the illusion dissipated and she found herself grasping the door handle to the Stallion’s Rear. Despite the unwelcoming nature of the place, the tavern was as good a place as any to start gathering more information. As Sayana stepped inside, her eyes shifted through the various people in the establishment. It was a quiet day with few patrons. She stepped up to order a mug of ale and as she was waiting she caught sight of a young man with messy brown hair near the bar. Deciding that he might be an easily influenced sort of fellow, she spoke up to get his attention.

“Strange things are happening these days. And nobody is trusting nobody. Have you heard of the latest attacks?”

ReceiptMug of ale – 8cm
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Brendero Marim on July 17th, 2016, 5:00 pm

With the recent influx of pilgrims into the city of Alvadas, most inns and shops were usually full. But not always, and definitely not this night. Who stepped out into the streets quickly found out that the streets themselves were more complicated and problematic than usual. Most pilgrims and such rather spent their evening in their place of stay. However, for Bren, nights like these were perfect to wander around. It was a shame that his father died so soon before the Festival - they would have had enjoyed it like father and son, for the last time. But with his father dead and his two brothers nowhere in sight, Bren had nothing left to do than to ponder about his unstable future.

And so he was pondering, for about an hour now, at the Stallion's Rear. He was sitting beside the bar with a single beer this whole time. Bren didn't like its taste, but he had to order something or else they would kick him out of the inn. He would have to wander the streets then, and streets were not in a good mood tonight. Bren sighed and just as he was about to reach for another sip, the door opened. He momentarily glanced at the new person just like every patron in the inn before returning to their previous activity, which was drinking in most cases. The person was wearing a dark robe, nothing uncommon in Alvadas, mainly during the pilgrim season. Bren was about to return to his wandering thoughts when the person - woman, most probably - approached him and inquired about some attacks.

"I can't say I have, madam," Bren answere, truthfully. He had shown no interest in gaining the most recent news, as he felt like they never concerned him. "But I can say that I always trust people... before I find out I was mistaken in them."
Brendero Marim
Breeso

Words: 4743
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2016, 3:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Sayana on July 21st, 2016, 7:22 pm

“Trust is a virtue not many have,” Sayana replied to his statement. “Especially not these days.” She paused to take a deep drink of ale and her eyes glanced about the tavern. People were seated close to one another, in huddled clusters. Most wore significantly brighter clothes than herself, and there were a couple mutters of ‘foreigners’ or ‘pilgrims’. For a moment, she considered the possibility that she looked like a foreigner, due to not having the colourful stylish garb that many Alvads wore.

Turning back to the young man, she spoke, “Pity. I was hoping to find someone who knew more about what was going on. Just yesterday I witnessed a fight break out between a couple of pilgrims and some Alvads. The pilgrims didn’t fare so well, but afterwards they had the nerve to threaten to wreak havoc on Ionu’s temple. Ionu’s temple! The place we have so graciously allowed them to stay. But even if they tried, I can’t see them faring so well against the illusions there.”

Her voice stayed fairly low as she spoke, not wanting to draw too much attention. But equally, she wanted to get her point across, if perhaps a little exaggerated. She wasn’t sure if the young man happened to know anything else about the going-ons in the city, but maybe after her own tale, he might open up a little.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Brendero Marim on July 26th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Bren looked upon his beer again, trying to force himself into drinking it, but something just kept him from finishing it, which earned him a few scowling gazes from the barkeeper. However, that did not concern Bren at all, as he was focusing his attention inwards, lost in his thoughts. That is, before this woman decided to initiate a conversation with him. He looked upon her again, scratching the behind of his neck. He may have been young and unexperienced, but he was not a fool. It was clear that she was steering this conversation somewhere. However, that did not bother Bren, as he was glad someone just spared their time to talk to him.

After a little bit of contemplating, he finally responded. "Well..." he started. "My friend, Gwin, claims to have seen an undead. And being a person he is, quarter of the city heard the rumour, by now." Bren shook his head, now a smirk of disbelief appearing on his face. "And I guess I'm no better for spreading the rumours further. People are afraid, what's with the murder, now these 'undead' rumours and the pilgrims causing more harm than they should." Apparently, the prospect of the current situation gave Bren new wave of enthusiasm and he reached for his beer, drinking about half of it at once. He knew he'd regret it later, but it made him feel better, warmer, at least for a little while.
Brendero Marim
Breeso

Character sheet

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Sayana on July 31st, 2016, 12:38 am

“Undead…” Sayana mused. “So they’re back. Unless your friend was just imagining them.” She took another long sip of ale. Leaning over the bar she lowered her voice and caught his gaze.

“Did you ever see one of the undead? Like from last Winter? Maybe you’ve heard tales of glorious fights. Alvads slaying horrible terrible monsters this way and that. But let me tell you, I was there, and it was brutal. Even people who you thought were strong and capable lost their lives.”

Abruptly, she sat up and pushed her chair back. With one long gulp, she finished the contents in her mug and set it down empty upon the counter. “I best be going. I should confirm if your rumors are true or if they are just another tale to keep children home for dinner.”

Her black robe still covered most of her features and with a low hand she absently ran it across the hilts of several of her daggers. They were all there and ready for action should she come across an actual undead being. Perhaps it would be good practice for what she intended to do once she got back to Syliras. There was a certain someone in the City of Peace who thought nuits should not be allowed to live so ‘peacefully’.

The Eypharian headed for the door and only glanced back briefly at the young man who had provided her the rumor of the undead.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Brendero Marim on July 31st, 2016, 2:22 pm

Bren nodded his head. Yes, his friend was often more drunk than not, so it was highly possible that he was just imagining them. However, there's always some truth to all the rumours - perhaps some robbers attacked Gwin? One only had to wonder. Nonetheless, the woman piqued his interest with her remark about the tales of Alvads fighting monsters. Bren always dreamt about doing something like that, being useful to his society and improving himself on the way. However, before he managed to say anything, she stood up, finishing her drink. He simply nodded as she bidded him her farewell, surprised. Bren sat there for a few seconds, then quickly finished his drink too. He cursed at himself for being reckless, but doing anything was better than doing nothing. Bren stood up, put some mizas on the counter and followed the robed woman.

"No need to inform me," he said, with a new smile on his face. "For I want to find out sooner rather than later. Besides, being alone in the streets is dangerous, what with the recent murder and all..." he said and stretched his arms. This woman said that she witnessed those battles, battles that are now only tales. She was someone interesting, and Bren thought that she was his key to moving forward instead of waiting for what comes for him in his life.
Brendero Marim
Breeso

Character sheet

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Kaleidoscope on August 2nd, 2016, 1:42 pm

The tavern was filled an average amount, some people chatting, others drinking- a usual day in an unusual season, although unusual things were nothing new to the city. Chatting quietly with a friend or two was a dark-haired woman who attracted no attention out of the ordinary. Yet, despite her ordinary appearance, the woman was keeping close tabs on the tavern, watching with a practised, yet casual eye at the room's occupants as they talked, drank and went about their daily lives.

The arrival of the cloaked, hooded figure vaguely recognisable as a woman caused the lady's focus to shift- as subtly as a feather landing on a pond, her gaze was drawn with a slight hesitation to this newcomer.

She continued her watch as the figure started to talk to someone. And when the cloaked figure left the tavern with the brown-haired man in tow, the dark-haired lady detached herself from her own conversation and left the tavern as well, carefully trailing a safe distance behind the two.

However, she soon started to speed up, her shoes carrying her softly up to the two, so that she arrived in practically silence beside the two walking. It was at that moment that she announced her presence, walking brazenly beside Sayana. She uttered a soft yet audible remark...

"The silence is listening. Watch your step, Sayana, and don't forget to remember."

...before melting into the shadow of a nearby alleyway as quickly as she had arrived. Whether coincidence or not, it was at that moment that the floor temporarily became an illusion, falling through to a small step only inches lower than the original floor, but enough to cause a stumble, if one wasn't careful. Although the floor quickly reverted to its original, flat plane of being, the remark, or warning, remained. If Sayana was to stay in the city, she would need to be careful. And if her brown-haired companion got involved in her business, then perhaps he too would need to heed that cryptic, Alvad-esque warning.
Alvadas | Linkmap | Calendar
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Stepped down from ST roles: 1/9/2017
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Words: 320260
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Sayana on August 2nd, 2016, 10:55 pm

A thin smile formed on her lips before it quickly vanished. She had managed to hook the young man. Sayana gave a brief nod in reply to his willingness to go with her, and she held the door gesturing him to go on outside.

As the Eypharian set out along the streets, she pointed out the occasional oddity of the illusions. “You have to keep your eyes out and watch everything carefully. Things aren’t always are as they seem. Even the smallest detail could give you an important clue to what’s really going on. Have you ever seen the undead? Sometimes they look like regular people but often they are pale, too pale, and decaying, and…”

It was then that their silent companion made herself known. Her voice was soft, yet immediately caused Sayana to freeze in the middle of her lesson. The warning was clear. She was being watched, listened too… Distractedly, the Eypharian attempted to follow the path of the mysterious woman, changing her course towards the alleyway.

Suddenly, the ground gave way from under her step and she stumbled quite noticeably. Instinctively her mid hands reached out to catch herself, and she found her palms scraping against the ground that was several inches lower than what it appeared. Hastily, she gathered herself together and was back on her feet. Her mids and lows sharply pulled the black robe around herself once more, but despite her best efforts, there had clearly been a moment when there been a few too many limbs in sight.

Watch your step, Sayana.

The lingering words hit her and she glared about the darkened streets attempting to spot the culprit or anyone daring to watch in amusement.

“There are gods out there who don’t mock and simply take people for who they are,” Sayana called out. “Gods who give true freedom and care about the sacrifices you make to them. I put my life in peril for this city, and this is what I get in return?” There was silence. Long, ominous silence. The silence is listening.

“You’re welcome.” She concluded haughtily with an obvious bitterness in her voice.

The Eypharian marched away seeking solitude, but before she got five paces, she had stubbed her toe against a brick that she had sworn wasn’t there two ticks ago. Breathing heavily, she leaned against a stone wall which thankfully didn’t cave in on itself at the pressure. In… and out… She focused on breathing slowly and deeply to calm her fiery thoughts. Fire, yes. Fire in the purest of forms. She closed her eyes and conjured the image of a candle. A single flame flickering in a sea of blackness. She could be that flame, even if the skies opened up to a flood of rain.

She stood still for nearly two full chimes before she was sufficiently calm once more. She was getting better at it. Calm, meditation, focus. Even though she didn’t like to admit it, it had its place sometimes. When she opened her eyes she immediately searched for any sign of danger, illusionary or otherwise. Then she would turn to the young man. That is, if he had decided to stay.

While she might have seemed emotionally jarred, there wasn’t necessarily anything dangerous about the way she carried herself. It was almost as if she was frightened. A hint of fear under the way she proudly displayed herself.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Brendero Marim on August 12th, 2016, 4:58 pm

Bren stepped out into the night and listen to this robed woman as she gave him advice. He looked into the darkness in one alley, narrowing his eyes, but he couldn't see anything. He still didn't believe the story of his friend seeing an undead, but the way she talked certainly made him cautious.

"Well, I don't see anything so far. Do the undead have any characteristic sound? Hmmm..." he thought he saw something, but it was just some stray cat running away. "Also... how does one kill an undead being?" he asked, only then realising the woman's silence. He turned around just when the floor turned into illusion. Bren felt the ale acting up in his brain and almost fell, missing the abundance of limbs his new companion hid under the robe.

Straightening himself, he listened on as the woman talked to seemingly no one about gods, then hitting her foot on a brick accidentaly. He cautiously closed in. "Ma'am? Are you... are you okay? What is going on?" he asked, his eyes widened now. He must have missed something important while looking into that alley and asking one question after the other.

OoC :
so terribly sorry about not responding sooner!
Brendero Marim
Breeso

Character sheet

New Contacts (Brendero)

Postby Sayana on September 1st, 2016, 10:55 pm

“I’m fine.” Sayana replied a little curtly. She wasn’t. She was still shaken from the exchange and how quickly the shadowy person had disappeared. But her new companion… had he really just missed the entire encounter? Her eyes flickered back to him. He seemed innocent, naïve, but was it all just an act? Suddenly she started to feel doubts about the man who she had lured out from the tavern. Was he simply playing along with her game and ready to change the rules as soon as he saw an opening?

The Eypharian stood up suddenly. Poised, alert. Her low hands fingered her daggers, but she was determined not to use them. It should not be necessary.

“Unfortunately I must take my leave.” She spoke abruptly. “It appears that there is more than just undead that lurk within the shadows.” Perhaps she was being unfair to the man, if he truly was innocent but she didn’t want to risk it. However, she did offer a kind word.

“If you do seek out the undead, they can be harmed much like the living. Rotting bodies don’t last long in the grand scheme of things. But be wary. Being surrounded by death is not something that most people strive for.”

She gave a faint grin and adjusted her black robe before setting out down the streets. Was it fair to leave him hanging as such? Her own safety was more important. And these cursed streets crawling with speakers and… For a moment she stumbled upon a loose stone. Watch your step. Then with a bitter glare at the cobblestone street she made her way back to Clyde’s abode.

OOCSorry about the long wait. And I hope you don’t mind that I’m wrapping things up.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next