Thou Seeking the Guidance of the Order (Mini-Quest)

Winter 516av 76th: Ferrin and a couple NPC Squ

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Moderators: Prophet, Reflection

Thou Seeking the Guidance of the Order (Mini-Quest)

Postby Michael Kyber on February 26th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Image


As the journey pressed on Michael made a bit of light conversation with the members of the caravan group, except for Kerrigan who seemed determined to keep up his stubborn attitude for the entirety of the journey. On the whole they were a good bunch of people, and though for the most part Michael kept up the rather formal attitude he thought all knights should use when on duty he couldn't resist the urge to crack a small smile whenever one of the members, an instinctively likable man called Gerad, made a joke. The man had a good sense of humor. During the moments when the conversation lapped Michael took the time to observe how Kerrigan went about driving the caravan; ever since he'd become a knight and found out he needed to learn to ride he'd been more interested in the technique for controlling horses, and now seemed like a good opportunity to study more about horse-drawn objects.

Eventually the sun set, and night fell over the woods. As the caravan pulled over to the side of the road and prepared to set up camp one of the women called out that she'd spotted a campfire nearby, and suggested that he, Ascen and Kerrigan investigate.

It was a good suggestion, they definitely needed to know if the fire belonged to a group that could be a threat to them, and they were the ones who were the best trained to find that out. However the fact remained that their job was to guard the caravan group, and the idea of leaving them completely unguarded in the middle of the forest while they went off to investigate didn't sit right with him. Especially with the suggestion that there was a group of bandits around.

"I agree that we should investigate. If the three of us are going to go though I have to insist that we move the caravan a little further off the road. I have no doubt that you guys can handle yourselves if you need to, but getting somewhere a bit better hidden can only be beneficial."

Michael speaking in: Common | Fratava | Nader-Canoch
Other people speaking is in green. Monsters are in black
Thoughts/Flashbacks are Italicized. Shouting/Dramatic Speech is in Bold
Character Sheet | Storyteller Secrets | Scrapbook | Plotnotes
Thank you to Prophet for the beautiful BBCode.
User avatar
Michael Kyber
A Good Man with a Bad Cause
 
Posts: 132
Words: 118879
Joined roleplay: December 9th, 2016, 8:09 pm
Location: Syliras
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Thou Seeking the Guidance of the Order (Mini-Quest)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on March 14th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Image


Timestamp:
Location:



"I would second on going over there to at least investigate. It might be another group of travelers such as ourselves, but just to be on the safe side I suggest we make our way over there and see what's really going on." With the moon that began to set, Kerrigan, the leader of the caravan cocked his head to face Ascen; who was almost late at meeting them earlier, he had decided to take an action and speak up.

"I see your willing..." Kerrigan spoke, and off to the West of the Bronze Woods, an audible howl that stretched close to the brink of the caravan and Kerrigan shivered at the sound, the man sighed.

Ferrin had finished setting up his own tent, and had tied the reins around a tree, but loosely, so if there were any danger that the stallion would encounter, he would have a fair chance at running away if he could. The Squire then tilted his head towards the woman, the man Kerrigan, Michael, and Ascen. They seemed to be talking about something, but beyond that, Ferrin looked upwards over the top of the treeline, and spotted a swirl of smoke, he followed it down through the thicket of the treeline and noticed the faint orange shimmering light a while away from their own resting spot.

Ferrin retrieved his longbow from his tent and quiver full of arrows. Fortunately, he does have armor piercing arrows along with his hunting arrows.

"So we're heading out then?" Ferrin asked as he ambled closer to the group. The others won't be able to produce any campfire until the threats were eliminated and the only source of a threat could be that fire, that was lit; and possibly set by bandits no doubt. There has been an increase in bandits along the Kabrin Road this time of year, especially during the time of the Fog since last season.

"Yes," Kerrigan replied, he looked back to his feminine friend.
"Clarissa, make sure everyone else stays quiet, you three should be capable of handling yourselves, right?" Kerrigan asked the three, after the woman had promptly left and went to warn the others of the caravan. Ferrin nodded, he looked over to the other two, and wondered if they were ready. Ferrin slowly calmed himself down, as he readied his longbow with a piercing arrow. He called the power of Djed, and it quickly overcame him, but Ferrin remembered that he had to focus on one particular subject before being able to switch off to something else. The aura of the fire seemed faint, and Ferrin wondered how much closer he would have to be, in order for his Auristics to actually work.

He looked back down, and calmed himself, before his emotions had gotten the best of him, and felt a wave of slight exhaustion hit him.

"You are all ready, yeah?" Ferrin asked the other two volunteers.
"If you are, then, we'll be guarding the rest of our supplies." Kerrigan said before he ambled off towards his wagon of things.
Image

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.



Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.


Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
User avatar
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire
 
Posts: 1076
Words: 706009
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Location: Currently in: Sylrias
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Thou Seeking the Guidance of the Order (Mini-Quest)

Postby Tolgar Cotterill on March 24th, 2017, 12:05 am

Image

76th of Winter, 516


Tolgar rested, keeping a hand on his wounded right arm. He shuffled towards the back of the wooden cage, and examined his situation. His weapons, armour and all possessions had been stripped from him, leaving him with nothing but the clothes on his back. It was still Winter, but nearing its end, and so the days had began to warm. Fortunately, the bandits had left him with his cloak, which he had wrapped around himself to keep warm.

His memory of the attack wasn’t too clear; the guerilla tactics of this bandit group had caught the carriage he was escorting completely off guard. At first, the caravan continued through the beaten track as normal. Then, a volley of arrows rained from the sky, peppering the carriage, killing one of the horses immediately and injuring one of the other guards. Another volley loosed, and the bandits were among them, overwhelming them almost instantly. Tolgar had barely got two strikes against one of them before he was tackled down to the ground, bound and gagged. It was over quickly, there was far too few mercs hired to protect against an ambush of this size.

The cage around him had been fashioned with relative haste, the wood had clearly been collected from the forest around them, rather than crafted carefully with standard wood-planks. The connections were held together with hempen rope, rather than metal nails. The cage, theoretically, could be easily broken out of. However, it would still require time, effort, and absolute silence, lest the bandits hear.

Staring out of the cage, Tolgar counted the tents. Eight moderately sized a-frame tents, fitting two people in each at most, and then another two larger pavilion tents. It seemed the larger two tents were being used for storage; from here, he could see through the entry flaps of one of them, in which he could see one of the bandits filtering through boxes, chests and barrels. The equipment they had stolen from him could potentially be in there, though, some bandits had already left to fence their stolen goods, which could include his equipment. Dotted around the camp were several tiki torches, though only a couple were lit right now.

A few of the tents were positioned in a circle around a central firepit, where many of the bandits had gathered and seemed to be drinking and relishing in their tales of triumph. From what he’d seen, there was at least five bowmen, a crossbowmen, and the rest had a variety of shafted weapons: spears, axes, maces, hammers, etc. However, there was at least one man who held a sword quite effectively, he’d saw him duel with one of the guards during the ambush. Their armour was minimal, hide, some leathers, the like. Their light armour allowed them to easily sneak through the forests to set up their ambushes, without much risk of being heard or spotted.

Tolgar quietly nudged over to the rope-bound gate on the cage, and began inspecting it. It was pretty tightly bound, and with the cold numbing his fingers, he’d have great difficulty trying to simply unbind it. Two bandits began their approach, and Tolgar quickly shifted back, looking nonchalant as possible.
“30oz steak comin’ right up.” One of them announced, with a small wooden bowl in his hands. The bowl was steaming, and though it would clearly not be the steak, food is food. The bandit handed it through the fence, and Tolgar took it in his hands. A spoon was already inside, floating around in the grog. Hr stook spoonful after spoonful into his mouth, hoping it would help to warm him up.

The two left off to go on patrol, making merry with a bottle of wine in hand, as two had done every other hour for the whole day.

Last edited by Tolgar Cotterill on April 4th, 2017, 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Tolgar Cotterill
Player
 
Posts: 16
Words: 8819
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2017, 7:13 pm
Location: Syliras
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Thou Seeking the Guidance of the Order (Mini-Quest)

Postby Michael Kyber on March 24th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Image


"Aye, I'm ready." Michael replied to Ferrin's question, taking off his cloak and leaving it tucked up in the caravan. On a stealth mission it could be a giveaway. He looked over at the caravan group. "If anything happens whilst we're gone shout, we'll drop everything and come running."

When the others were ready Michael led the way deeper into the forest towards the nearby fire. With nothing but the light of the moon to illuminate it the forest was dark and sinister, with tree branches leering out in all directions like thin, bony arms, however Michael forced himself to forget the twinges of fear flickering around in his gut and keep his attention sharp. He kept low, bending his legs at the knees and keeping on the balls of his feet to quieten the sounds of his footsteps against the rustling leaves littering the ground, and mentally cursed himself for the quiet chinking noises his chain-mail made as its rings clicked together. It was happy coincidence that the three of them were all wearing lighter clothes (wearing the standard knights armor wouldn't have allowed them this level of stealth) but as they slowly but surely pushed their way on forwards through the dark towards the orange glow Michael fell back a bit and let the others get ahead of him, thinking that they'd be able to get closer to the camp with being caught than he would in his metal gear.

As the light of the fire came nearer into view the sound of multiple voices, slurred in drunken revelry, reached Michael's ears. He sneaked over to and crouched down behind a thicket not to far away from the camp but still out of range of the campfires light, gesturing for the other two to come join him.

Reaching inside himself, Michael grasped hold of the djed within him and brought it up to his mind, willing it to attune with his senses and let him see the djed of the thicket in front of him. With his inexperience it took a fair few seconds for his spell to activate, and came with a head rush that made him feel a bit drowzy, but soon the ghostly wisps of colours that made up the thickets aura appeared in his vision. Michael then willed the djed to not on look at the thicket but through it, and slowly his mind synchronized with the djed of the people behind it instead until Michael was able to see a figure of colourful aura down at the campsite bellow.

Although the aura's faded and reappeared seemingly randomly as his inexperienced spell faltered in places, Michael was able to make out the general structure of the campsite. It was definitely a bandit camp going by the cheaply armored and thuggish looks of the people around it, and from the size and amount of tents available Michael guessed there were roughly sixteen of them, though he could only see ten of them outside at the moment. Were there more in the tents? Or had some gone out into the forest to scout for more victims? With his current level of skill at reading auras he wasn't sure how reliable his sight was.

Three things caught Michael's attention as he continued to scan the campsite for information. The first thing was that the bandits were off their guard at the moment; since they weren't expecting any travelers to pass their ambush points at night they'd cracked open a barrel of some kind of alcohol, put a horse that must've belonged to a caravan hey'd ambushed over the fire to roast and now lazily sat around engorging themselves of food and drink. A distasteful look, as if he'd bitten into a raw lemon, crossed Michael's face. Bandits really were no better than slovenly savages. Still the fact they all had the auras of drunks, some merely tipsy and some completely hammered, presented an opportunity.

The second thing was the poorly made wooden cage at the side of the camp, in which an aged but undeniably tough looking man with a bald head and scar was watching two bandits who'd been at by the cage moments ago leaving. At first Michael assumed that the man must be a bandit as well who must've been locked up by his comrades for some reason, however as he continued to look around the came Michael noticed that the imprisoned man's aura flickered with signs of anger, wariness and curiosity. Why would a bandit be curious of their own camp? Unless of course the man wasn't a bandit. He looked like a fighter, perhaps the bandits were trying to press-gang him into joining them.

If the bandits had a captive, then retreating back to Syliras and getting reinforcements from the knighthood before attacking the camp could cost him his life. Bandits rarely kept captives for long if they couldn't get any worth out of them, the time it would take them to get back to the order might be time the captive didn't have.

The last thing that caught his attention was the bandit sitting by one of the larger tents; the one with the sturdiest looking armor, a sharp sword, and pronounced, bird-like features set in a fierce scowl. Judging by the way the other bandits sobered up in his presence he was probably the boss of the group, and the way he sat with a hand waiting by the hilt of his sword suggested that he'd taken that position by killing anyone who said otherwise. The man was a fighter; even though he was drinking as fast as the most wasted of his men the alcohol didn't seem to have affected him very much at all, and he alone payed proper attention to the shadows outside the campsite, his aura sleek and refined with tendrils or wariness and aggression. If anyone was going to be trouble, it was him.

"Bandits. About sixteen of them, some drunk some tipsy." He half-mouthed, half-whispered to Ferrin and Ascen. "We need to deal with them now, they have a captive. He looks strong, could be of help. Their leader seems quite tough too; short black hair, quite birdy looking, and has a sword. Anyone know him?"

The head-rush suddenly spiked in intensity, and feeling dizzy Michael let the djed drop from his mind and his senses return to normal. He took in a few deep breaths of the cold night air until the feeling died down, then looked over to the others.

"We can't take them all on at once, there's too many. We need to come up with a plan. Maybe we can trick them into fighting each other? Most of them seem pretty drunk after all, and bandits aren't known for their intelligence or level heads. If either of you are good at staying undetected we could find out if that captive knows something we could use to turn them against each other."

Michael speaking in: Common | Fratava | Nader-Canoch
Other people speaking is in green. Monsters are in black
Thoughts/Flashbacks are Italicized. Shouting/Dramatic Speech is in Bold
Character Sheet | Storyteller Secrets | Scrapbook | Plotnotes
Thank you to Prophet for the beautiful BBCode.
User avatar
Michael Kyber
A Good Man with a Bad Cause
 
Posts: 132
Words: 118879
Joined roleplay: December 9th, 2016, 8:09 pm
Location: Syliras
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Thou Seeking the Guidance of the Order (Mini-Quest)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on April 19th, 2017, 12:06 am

Image


Timestamp:
Location:



"Yes, of course I'm ready-just let me grab my bow." Ferrin replied, he hurried off to his tent and unpacked his longbow, there he also found his quiver of arrows, they looked fairly sharp, but they weren't new. It's been awhile since Ferrin had used his longbow, and he was ready to get some payback at these bandits. He recalled, the last time with a friend of his; Shimoje, when Ferrin met him on that day, there were plenty of bandits, and they've captured Ser Xervos, along with one of the locals of Syliras. It was almost a disaster, and running in a full suit of plate armor wasn't exactly 'fun' especially with a half of dozen drunken bandits chasing suit.

The Kenashian marched back out, longbow in hand, and his quiver of arrows strapped tight enough, just so they won't fall off as easy, but there was also enough leeway for his arm to move around​. He prepared an arrow, and held the back of it loosely, and with his other hand, held onto the handle, he was ready for battle. Just in case anything would happen.

He silently mumbled a few prayers to Sylir; the God of Peace, and Ferrin hoped that things would go well for himself and his fellow comrades. Ferrin decided to engage with his Auristics, he was still in training, and he wanted to use it to focus on the fire, it's aura. That's what the trio had used for their landmark. At first, when he used his sixth sense, everything was crazy, his head swirled a bit, but he managed to focus on the campfire once more, but just the fire. It would help him to know how much further he could go, and at least it was all one aura.

It seemed brighter to Ferrin, when he used his mundane sight to see the roaring fire that cackled into the night sky. They've crept closer and and closer into the woods, Ferrin was thankful that he was still wearing his leather armor. Michael and Ascen reached the edge of the clear grounds, but the three of them stayed concealed within the shadows of the bushes and trees that lined the open green.

Ferrin took a few deep, heavy, and careful breaths as he waited patiently for the Djed to course out of his system. He felt the tingle diminish, and he focused on his breathing, but he kept quiet. He listened to Michael explain what he saw, and Ferrin waited for the other Squire to finish.

"Well... I could definitely take some out, I could sneak around this side of the clearing." Ferrin suggested, and as he did, he pointed his index finger around the clearing. "I'm pretty good with a bow,
but I won't be able to pick them all of without them all noticing. We might have to do it quick, letting them kill each other would take to long."
Ferrin whispered back, he held back on to the edge of the arrow and waited for other suggestions.

"Well... I do think that we should kill them ourselves, before they hurt anyone else." Ferrin said in a justified manner. He began to stealth his way over to the side of the clearing; he wasn't the stealthiest of stealthers, but he was being very careful, and he ignored the Djed that was calling to him, he must ignore it, so he won't fall into Overgiving. It was a thing that Sera Frostfawn had taught him.

The first two; were definitely drunkards, and Ferrin crouched low, and aimed fairly high. The bandits were roughly ten-twenty feet from Ferrin, and it was close enough for Ferrin to get a(n) clean shot(s). He took a deep breath, he had to withdraw another arrow quickly, if he wanted to kill the second one with speed. They both had a bottle of wine in their hands, so it might be easier to kill them, if they don't react too quickly. Though, there was a high probability that they wouldn't. Swoosh.

Ferrin released his arrow, and it glided across the clearing, and struck the man in the side of the head. He fell to his knees and then slammed his head onto the ground, the force was strong enough to stun, and knock the man over. Perhaps even kill him instantly....

The Squire withdrew another arrow and he was quick to fire the second one, but he missed, and the arrow flew over the bandits head- and the bandit appeared to be confused, and he looked around, and noticed his comrade on the ground.

"Get up you lazy Shyke, no time to petch around and sleep." He grumbled, he just shrugged it off, as he didn't really notice the arrow in his head, as he was in a mere daze to even know where he was walking. Ferrin watched the arrow, as it flew, and landed near the back of one of the tents. Fortunately, the man wasn't too observant, the one sitting crossed legged on the ground with his sword in his lap.

Ferrin quickly pulled out another arrow, and fired the third one, and it struck the man immediately. He dropped beside his bandit friend and they appeared to be quite lifeless. Ferrin had to move around, again, and take down a couple more bandits, before others realized that they're being attacked. He hoped that Michael and Ascen were doing fine.
Image

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.



Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.


Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
User avatar
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire
 
Posts: 1076
Words: 706009
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Location: Currently in: Sylrias
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests