Quest Fire In The Sky (Grandfathered)

Things in Syka are about to get real.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Fire In The Sky

Postby Gossamer on February 11th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Image
Jansen nodded to Satevis. “They all could realistically be implanted with these, Satevis.” Jansen answered. “This is why we need more open communication in the settlement. These stones could be deadly devices. I just don’t know. And when we get back, I’ll call another meeting and see who else has them. I might have to look at everyone, because maybe some people don’t remember. I’m not sure.” He said, puzzled and looking slightly stressed. It was beyond his medical training, and that was a rarity for the two Akalak brothers.

Meanwhile, across The Tidepool, Kultra was fielding comments and questions.

Kultra shook his head at Aladon’s question as to what the material was made out of. “No, its actually a very normal fabric with a tremendous amount of spellwork layered over it. Shielding is very useful in instances like this if someone knows what they are doing with it.” The man answered, watching Aladon carefully. “Masking your breathing is up to you. Focus, concentrate, and breath slowly in and out. Don’t let your fear control your breathing. Don’t huff. Don’t pant. Mind over matter.” Kultra said, his voice a tinge arrogant as if he believed this would be beyond Aladon’s ability. A smirk colored his features for a moment and he glanced over at the rest of the party, wondering if they too had questions.

The blond nodded to Satevis’ and Anibesa’s thanks. “You’re both welcome. I made them myself.” He said with a grin.

Vas gave Kultra a nod of approval as well, glancing down at his new finery and smiling slightly. “Good work, this. I doubt anyone knows as much about these sorts of magics in these days as you do, Kultra. It’s good to have you on board. Though I don’t know why Glav isn’t here. I keep seeing where one of you is involved the other is in the thick of it as well.” He said, his humor a rumbling laugh.

Kultra chuckled. “I’ve been at Wind Reach most of last year. He’s had a lot to do and I took up an interest in drumming. Cedar took me under his wing. Turns out he had alternative motives. He wanted a set of drums that was very unique; something only I could pull off. Once I finished that project for him, he suggested I head out and do something else productive with myself. I guess I wore my welcome thin making ‘improvements’.” Kultra said with a laugh. Vas joined him a moment, his deep rumbling chuckle amused. “Glav invited me to join him and I said I’d head that way, then this came up. I really have no interest in the Kelvic Twins, but their mother is smokin’ hot and I wouldn’t mind her owing me a solid.” He said with a wink at Vas and then did what the rest of them were doing – started to pack up to get ready. Vas just shorted, shook his head, and really looked as if he were about to say something about ‘kids’.

Mathias raised an eyebrow at Ialari. “A Stormwarden is a follower of Zulrav, the God of Storms. They have the unique ability to gather storms, store the energy of them, and create these gems which in the past we’ve used to power a whole host of items, mostly magecrafted. They act as a battery and before the Valterrian they powered whole cities. These are small ones because this is a young Stormwarden. That’s also why Syka enjoys good weather. In the past, all cities enjoyed them. They kept people safe from storms. The priests and priestesses of Zulrav could have even maybe negated part of the effects of the Valterrian had they all worked together. Unfortunately, being on the forefront, most of them died first.” He said, glancing at the gems he gave Ialari. “Use them with caution. It’s a powerful weapon and you’ll need to test it and practice a great deal.” He added.

.
______________________________________________
.


Randal nodded, hearing them all out. “Okay… Mathias/Aladon, first watch, wake Anibesa/Ialari next, then Vas/Kultra, Rainmere/Jansen and I’ll take Satevis for the last watch. Satevis if you want to stay up because you don’t need to sleep, feel free to do so. Burgaga is on his own scouting.” He said, gesturing around. “No fire. Aladon’s right. We’ll camp cold. Stay dressed. Keep your boots on. Keep your gear on. We don’t know who’s around. Kultra, if you can set something up around camp without much effort… please do so.” He added, then carefully left them to scout around and see what he could see while everyone got set up.

When people settled to rest, Kultra rose and walked off. Before long a shimmering dome flared to life and slowly climbed up over the camp, encircling everyone that was settled. It was visible for only a few heartbeats before it faded. If the party looked close enough they could see a faint shimmering, but that was it. The shimmering vanished momentarily when Randal returned, Kultra by his side. They all seemed to settle for the night. No one actually unpacked a bedroll or did anything but appear to rest, though the groups quietly talked about things as the night wore on. The first watch was up, and people could sleep if they wanted. When that watch was done, other’s could wake if sleeping and take their turns while the ones on watch went to bed. The Lethefals would stay up, of course, not being tired. Their transitions didn’t seem to startle the founders or even the two strangers.

Early in the hours of the morning, when Vas and Kultra got off their shift, waking Randal who seemed to be able to sleep through anything on the bare ground… all hell broke loose. Satevis, they assumed, was already awake. Vas and Kultra started playing some sort of dice game, distracted and and laughing quietly. Vas was winning outrageously and Kultra just seemed to be amused as the items in his pocket slowly transferred to Vas’ possession. It was about thirty chimes into the shift when Kultra’s shield lit up like a lightening storm, lighting up the whole area, and causing a whole bunch of crackling noise to happen, fingers of light streaking out from the northwest quarter in multiple strikes. The light show looked like sheet lightening from cloud to cloud in the sky.

Kultra snatched up the dice, pocketed them, as Vas lifted an eyebrow and rose to his feet from where he was kneeling. “Visitors?” He asked, glancing around. Kultra nodded.

“Unexpected ones it seems.” He replied, looking untroubled. The two seemed to hold back while Mathias and Randal moved into action. They both drew weapons and started off towards the source of the light show.

Whomever followed them would find two creatures, struggling, entangled in light that caught them much like a spider’s web. They didn’t seem to be conscious, but instead, hung limply as if the shield Kultra erected seemed to hold them in place. “Well….” Said Kultra from behind the party. “It seems prisoners won’t be a problem.” He added. The two creatures were dressed, but what was visible of them was identical to what Aladon described. Humanoids, though their patterned skin wasn’t exactly scaled. Instead there skin was smooth with coloring like scales… in all metallic colors.

The stranger, who was obviously a mage, gestured and both bodies crumpled. One moaned. The other remained still. “I guess we got our prisoners. Now what?” He added, truly not interested in these creatures. Instead, he was more interested in what lay beyond, out in the jungle. From here in the near light, in the distance they could see sweeping stone arches kissing the sky in a huge display of artistic grace.

Vas spoke then. “We could have done without the light show, Kultra. I realize you love fancy, but that was a calling card anyone in the neighborhood couldn’t miss.” He said with a growl. “We probably need to move.” He added, glancing at Mathias and the rest of the party. Mathias nodded, deciding to let the party decide what the next move would be.
Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsSykafall Coordination
User avatar
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.
 
Posts: 19933
Words: 5627845
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: Founder
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Fire In The Sky

Postby Anibesa on February 12th, 2018, 11:09 am

Image

"Common" | "Fratava" | "Tukant"

Anibesa listened to Kultra’s responses to Aladon’s questions, nodding thoughtfully as the man said that the cloaks were made of a normal fabric, but they had spellwork layered over them. The mention of Shielding peaked her attention and she imagined that that would be a form of magic to do with shields of some sort. Then came his answer to Aladon’s question about masking breathing. It wasn’t something she’d been interested in to start with, but as she overheard what the man said, Anibesa practiced briefly, focus on her breathing as she slowly breathed in and out, as quietly as she could, though she knew that she to anyone trying to detect anyone, they’d more than likely be able to hear her. She just had to hope that her attempts would be enough.

At the Isur woman’s inquisitive question, Anibesa turned to her. She had forgotten that a number of people had never encountered anyone of her own kind, and with her having not yet met Ialari, she realised that the woman must have been one of those, though Anibesa hadn’t met Vas or Kultra before and she noticed that both of them were unphased by her and Satevis’ transformation.

”We haven’t met before have we?” she said, her eyes looking at Ialari as she smiled slightly. ”Sorry, I always forget that a lot of people haven’t met our kind before. But yeah, we’re Ethaefal, of Leth to be more specific. During the day we look how we did earlier, but when Leth is in the sky we look like this, which is what we really look like I think?” she said calmly, shrugging slightly. She wasn’t quite sure how to explain things properly and then glanced to Satevis, hoping he had some answers. She didn’t know how much she could say to the Isur woman without boring her or dragging things on too long, and she’d also avoided the specifics of what she knew of her race.

”If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. It’d be a good conversation.” she said calmly, nodding as a polite and friendly gesture to the Isur. She figured that if Ialari had any questions about her, she could then try to find out more about Ialari in turn.

Once everyone had spoken and agreed to take a watch, Anibesa heard Randal decide who would take which watch, and Anibesa noted that she would be on the second watch, with the Isur woman, and Anibesa offered a warm smile to the woman.

At Randal’s words, Anibesa checked that her boots were still laced tightly, and then watched as the man asked Kultra to set ‘something’ up around the camp, and Anibesa felt more and more curious as to who the two new men were. They were here to help she was certain, but their motivations weren’t some that she really knew.

As the night went on mostly calmly and safely, Anibesa had opted to lay back and focus, contemplating what was happening. The more she thought, she felt more and more uncomfortable with what was going on, but she knew she’d follow it through and then she’d deal with whatever consequences came from what they were doing.

Her watch with Ialari didn’t show any signs of danger, and once they’re watch was over and Kultra and Vas took over, Anibesa stayed fully awake and aware of what was going on. She checked over the dagger Aladon had given her, testing its weight as she tried to work out how to hold it properly, occasionally glancing around at the settlement.

When she saw the watch shift changed, she smiled slightly. There wasn’t long left now then, so she’d have to make the best of the rest of the night before the sun rose and she was forced back into the Svefra form.

The bright light illuminating the area drew her attention and Anibesa instantly jumped up to her feet, both worried about what was happening and ready to jump to action if it was needed. These lights were close, and they didn’t seem to be too similar to the lights and rumbling that had been occurring throughout the season, and that worried her more.

She saw Mathias and Randal draw weapons and head towards the source of the light, and Anibesa gripped the dagger Aladon had given it, tightening her grip before hurrying after them, placing one foot in front of the other, quicker and quicker until she was speed-walking to catch up to the two. Her eyes and thoughts were too focused on the lights, what could be causing them, and the two founders with their weapons drawn.

The sight of the two humanoids caught in the light stopped her in her tracks and she marvelled at whatever it was that held the beings, then her eyes were drawn to the humanoids and they’re seeming lack of consciousness, before someone behind the group spoke and she jumped slightly out of shock, her attention having been too focused on what was in front of her instead of keeping her attention on all of her surroundings.

She turned slightly to see Kultra as he mentioned that they wouldn’t have problems getting prisoners now, and Anibesa nodded slightly. They had came here first so now she didn’t doubt the plan of interrogating them to see if they could find any information about what they were do here and where they came from.

Now she just looked over the creatures as Kultra seemingly dropped , listening to what was being said, from both the newcomers before she turned her head to look up and check the lights, hearing Vas say that they probably needed to move.

”Going on the move again would be safer, wouldn’t it? If they sent these two to check us out, and they don’t return soon they might send more people, and if we do move how do we bring them with us? Does anyone think that they dangerous to touch at all? If not how much would it slow us down to carry them?” she asked a slew of questions, stepping slightly closer to the humanoids, her hand tightening slightly on the dagger. She looked over them, trying to see what they looked like closer, noticing the scale like colourings in the metallic colours, and then noting their long fingers and the claw like ends. She didn’t notice much else, and she didn’t trust her judgement as to how safe it would be to touch them.

Then she found her thoughts drawn back to the light that the humanoids had been caught and tangled up in, and she assumed that was what Kultra had set up before everyone started taking their watch, and she pushed a few strands of her hair out of her eyes before she turned to Kultra briefly.

”That light stuff, was that what you set up for Randal last night, well earlier in the night?” she asked, curious about the contraption. ”You mentioned that the cloaks had shielding used for them, was that shielding too?” she asked, her eyes giving away her interest and intrigue in how such a thing had been created.

Then she turned her attention back to the group, seeing what opinions the others had, and if there were any answers to her questions. She wanted to know what others thought, whether her thoughts lined up with other peoples, or whether she was thinking down the wrong lines.
Lethaefal-Svefra
Day Night
Eyes Blue Blue
Hair Auburn Black
Horns Green
Skin Fair and freckled Marble like, cool toned and shimmering
User avatar
Anibesa
Svefra by Day, Letheafal by Night
 
Posts: 218
Words: 164692
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2017, 2:27 pm
Location: Syka/UK
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fire In The Sky

Postby Satevis on February 12th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Image
Satevis nodded at Anibesa's answer to Ialari. Like Ani, he was used to people not knowing what he was at first glance. In Syka, it was easy to avoid others, especially at night, so he hadn't had to explain himself in a while, but earlier that season, some members of the Veronica's crew had been curious. Still, he was surprised that given all of Ialari's apparent experience with the Ukalas and traveling between realms that she had never heard of the Ethaefal before. He mostly let Ani speak first, given that she was, after all, his senior on this plane. When she was finished, though, he turned towards the Isurian woman.

"As Anibesa said," said Satevis, inclining his head towards her. "We are--we were souls that had been removed from the cycle of reincarnation by Leth. One way or another, we fell through a tear in the divine realm, and here we are. The form that you see during the day is the form of our most recent mortal life. I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any." He was aware that that was, in many ways, an oversimplification, but since it was close enough to the truth, he decided not to explain further, unless either Ialari asked or Anibesa chimed in.

Regardless, it was soon time to rest. Satevis found Randal's comment about camping cold somewhat amusing given the circumstances--unlike the desert, the jungle didn't seem to lose any of its heat at night. Still, despite everything, he did sleep. He didn't like sleeping at night when he could help, didn't like losing any of the small, precious hours where he felt the most alive, but he was aware that the expedition would continue in the morning, and that in the morning he would once again be subjected to human sensations like hunger and thirst and exhaustion. It would only be prudent to store up energy where he could.

At least, he tried to sleep. Satevis estimated that he managed an hour, if that, it was hard to gauge the passage of time out in the jungle. Without feeling tired, it was difficult to convince his mind to stop thinking, so after a moment longer of attempting, he got up. Staying quiet so as not to wake the others, and observing Anibesa practicing with her dagger, Satevis stood up as well. He took up a spot at camp opposite from the other Ethaefal and drew his scimitar, working his way carefully through the basic forms. His skill left much to be desired, still, but if they were attacked, he wanted to be ready.

When it was time for his watch, he sheathed his sword, nodding at Vas and Kultra and taking up his position with Randal. He kept an eye out on the jungle surrounding them, but as it had been through the night, it was quiet. His mind was just starting to wander when the shield flared into light and sound, a startling array of lightning and crackling flaring up in the sky and no doubt waking the entire camp. Satevis didn't hesitate before drawing his sword and following the Founders. He drew up short at the sight of the humanoid creatures trapped in Kultra's shield, looking at them in astonishment. As Aladon described, they were dressed, with all the trappings of civilization and society, but they were like no creature that Satevis had ever seen before.

"I agree, we should move and move quickly," he said, when the question turned to what they should do. "Taking them with us might slow us down..." The last sentence was said with some uncertainty. Satevis understood the value of having one of them with him, although he didn't agree with it, but he was also worried about the practicalities of it. Was it worth it to try and take them along? "If we only take one, the other will likely report back and tell others what happened. But it will be harder to bring both."
Image

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
User avatar
Satevis
Player
 
Posts: 352
Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Location: Syka
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fire In The Sky

Postby Aladon on February 13th, 2018, 11:18 pm

Image
Sitting down next to a tree, Aladon took out his water skin and took a drink out of it. He looked at the party of volunteers, and he wondered if they would be enough to take on the forces at the World Gate. He could barely swing a sword without hurting himself and wasn't sure if they could mount a frontal assault against the Gate would be wise. Syka's volunteers needed to be clever if they were going to beat them. He was sure Vas and Kultra had some tricks up their sleeves into dealing with them. He doubt that they were normal like the rest of the citizens of Syka. Besides, Kultra made these remarkable magical cloaks. He doesn't know any craftsman in all of Sultros could make them. Unless, Ialari might know cause she was a wizard too. When Randel told him about his watch assignment, the Isur nodded and said nothing. He liked Mathias, so it won't be a unpleasant watch. He was happy that Randal took his suggestion about the fire to heart because it would just give their position away.

When Aladon was finished with his watch, he stayed vigilant and guarded the opposite end of the camp. The night was peaceful under Leth's soft radiance. The Isur believed that they were close to the World Gate otherwise Randal wouldn't take his suggestion to heart. The blacksmith mind started to think about tomorrow, and he wondered if he will have to fight these creatures. It wasn't a pleasant thought, and he hoped that they take the diplomatic rout. Bored, he decided to walk over to Mathias position and asked Founder quietly,“So..do you think these creatures are from our world, or do you think that they are from a world beyond the gate? I don't think that I know of race with those features on Mizahar, so they must be beyond the gate. Right? Also, wouldn't it be easier to open the gate and let Morwen and Yshul freeze and smash forces when the gate is opened? I hope you know that I am asking question with limited knowledge of the situation and the power of the gods...especially Morwen and Yshul.”

When or if Mathias answers his question than Aladon decided to get some rest as the next shift was starting. When Ialari and Anibesa woke up for there shift, he put the camouflage hood up and said to them, “You both stay safe and see you in the morning.”

Aladon sat near the middle of camp around everyone else, closed his eyes, and drifted off to sleep. When he heard the sound of lightning around him, and he jumped up out of his deep sleep and unsheathed his bastard sword. Looking around, he saw Kultra acting all nonchalant with his magic tricks when he caught the creatures from his hallucination. Aladon sheathed his sword and walked over to everyone who has taken a interest in the creatures. Kultras seemed like he could care less about the creatures, and Aladon agreed with Vas and said simply, “Well, we lost the element of surprise, but we do have prisoners like Ialari suggested...”

Aladon didn't like the fact that they were now forced to be decided on the fate of two intelligent beings, but fate dropped them into their lap and now, they have to deal with them. The Isur listened to the suggestions that they needed to move before more arrived at there camp. Both Anibesa and Satevis suggested that they dealt with the prisoners and abandoned their positions. Aladon looked at the two Eth quickly with inquisitive look on his face and said bluntly, “Aren't you two jumping ahead of yourselves? The plan was to capture these people and interrogate them. It would be a waste to condemn them to death without even trying to get information out of them. Besides, you would be missing a potential opportunity to turn the tide of the fight in our favor if we move from this position.” The Isur realized that he embraced the cold and callus side of his people, but killing the prisoners and abandoning position was counterproductive, and he believed that they were suggesting it. By capturing them, he started to believe conflict was inevitable and diplomacy was a lost cause.

Aladon looked at Randal and suggested as a member of the Sultros Clan should and would, “Kultra's light show might have given us a opportunity to divide their forces from the gate since they are more and likely sending a larger force to investigate. Why don't we lay a trap for them here because I believe. They will send their warriors out to investigate a potential threat especially magical. It will be easier to hit them in the cover of the jungle than hit them in a fortified camp. Kultra could lay traps all over this area, and we might be able to take out their forces with minimal blood shed on our end than we just have to deal with a weakened forces still at the camp.”
Thank you Gossamer for the posting template!
User avatar
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist
 
Posts: 97
Words: 116392
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2017, 3:46 am
Location: Syka
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fire In The Sky

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 15th, 2018, 7:02 am

Image
Before leaving the bar, Ialari eavesdropped a bit on the conversation between Vas and Kultra regarding someone named Glav. There was of course their off-color comments about the “Kelvic Twins” and of the place known as Wind Reach. The mention of the one named, Glav, made her wonder who he might be and what potential connection he may have to these two odd newcomers. The more she watched them and the more she listened to them speak, she had a feeling that they were there in the bar yet at the same time were distant. The way they spoke was rather nonchalant and dismissive despite Mathias’ push toward how imperative the task ahead of them was.

It was then that Mathias responded to her questions about the Stormwarden. Taking mental notes, Zulrav’s followers are known as Stormwardens. If they have this ability to create gems that harness the power of a storm…the possibilities…” She couldn’t wait to test the weapon that was powered by such things.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


She hadn’t expected Kultra to answer her comment about who he really was but she was happy to have put it out there; at least she could let him know that she was at least somewhat aware of the fact that he was putting on some sort of ruse. As they settled in for the night and begun to make camp, she followed Randal’s instructions. From her time spent in the wilds of Eastern Syliras, she’d learned the importance of keeping one’s presence to a minimum. The idea of cold camping was familiar to her as she never really did sleep well in the wilderness; mainly due to the potential threats that surrounded her. Of course, sleep was always a haunting risk as the nightmares, when they came, were rough. That was of course if she slept anywhere outside of her Dominion. Something about the bond she shared with her little piece of the Ukalas made her feel a bit more at ease. It was as if it shared some of the burden of her mental and spiritual wounds and gave her comfort. I need to get back…it’s been too long. It had been the better part of a season; ever since arriving in Syka she hadn’t found the right place or opportunity to establish a doorway.

Pulling her thoughts back to the present, Ialari noted the watch schedule. She was sharing her watch with the woman, Anibesa whom she was momentarily startled by with the drastic transformation the woman had underwent. It wasn’t just her but the man, Satevis had also undergone a similar change.

Both of them spoke up and collectively explained how their forms changed with the rising and falling of the sun and moon. The mention of their souls being removed from the natural cycle by Leth and falling through the tears in the Ukalas struck a chord with Ialari. In response she said, keeping her speech slow and measured due to her thick isurian accent, “Indeed I have questions.” She paused for a moment before continuing, “I may also have some insight that you may or may not find of use.” She pulled her hand from her weapon and relaxed. As they made what few preparations there were to camp, Ialari spoke with Satevis and Anibesa.

“My questions are few to be honest. I’m curious, do your remember anything about you’re time in Leth’s realm? Can you still feel the connection to it? You say your soul is removed by Leth from the natural cycle of life and death; as a follower of Death, I understand that but what does it feel like to have a soul like that?” Her questions had a sensible feeling of urgency to them. Not in the sense of time related urgency but more like someone trying to understand something that they themselves struggle with.

The conversation was one that could easily continue into their watches. Ialari remained awake for the first watch as well as her own but attempted to find some rest afterward.

“As for the insight I mentioned, Satevis mentioned the divine tear that you fell through. I’ve felt and even seen these tears. As I mentioned back at in the bar, I am a Domineer, the first in mortal comprehension of time. After no small amount of pain, suffering and sacrifice, some of which continues to this day, I was presented with the ancient knowledge of a lost magic known as Dominion by Izurdin, himself with the support of Dira. This magic allows me to open doorways into and throughout the Ukalas as well as to carve out and claim space within for my own. From what I understand, it is a similar power used by the gods themselves to craft their own divine realms although on a far, far more limited level.” She paused for a moment to let her words sink in before continuing, “I’ve spent the past seven years or so living between this world and the Ukalas, mostly the Ukalas. There I’ve established my own Dominion. I am bonded with it in a way that we feel what the other feels, senses what the other senses and are shaped by each other. I have spent so much time there that it has changed me. As we speak, I can now feel your connection to the Ukalas. It is passive and faint but it is there.”

Ialari considered something for a moment before saying, “Those tears, like the one you fell through, they were created during the Valterrian. Dira explained it to me like this, the Ukalas is now a beast in pain and it can bite. As a Domineer, one of my tasks is to one day learn enough about the Ukalas in hopes of healing it. Dira showed me the true nature of the Ukalas and all that it was. I do not have the words to describe what I experienced. I know however that no matter how crippling the burden of my current existence may be, no matter what nightmares haunt me, what I saw, what I see every time I enter my Dominion, brings me peace. The fact that you lost that…Trust me when I say I know what it is to feel out of place, like you are some how broken and have lost a huge piece of yourself.” Ialari allowed for a rare sharing of herself and finished by saying, “If, when all this is over and we aren’t scattered to the winds across who knows how many worlds, I may be able to at least give you a little something back of what you lost.” Dira had said that Ialari wouldn’t be able to keep it hidden for long. However, Ialari hadn’t expected to be the one to reveal such things herself. First there was Kavala and now she was having a moment of weakness for these two lost souls that she, for some reason, felt some sort of screwed up kinship with even though she didn’t really know them. To herself although she knew the target would be listening, Milady Dira, I pray to you that I am doing the right thing by revealing this.

The whole setup of camp, what little of a camp there was, happened rather quickly with the strange shimmering dome flaring to life and climbing up over them before fading. It appeared to be the work of Kultra. The strange man seemed to hold all manner of secrets and talents that continued to spark new interest from Ialari. He was not what he appeared to be, that much was certain and it bothered her. She normally was able to get a read on people, either upon first meeting them or shortly after. This man, as well as Vas, were far more difficult.

As a student of magic in general, Ialari theorized that the shield that Kultra put up around them was either a form of detection magic in that it could alert them to anyone or anything passing through it or it was maybe something that would help hide them from outside eyes. The fact that Randal and Mathias seemed so at ease around Kultra and Vas gave Ialari some relief despite her not being able to shake their passive secretive nature.

As preparations were set and everyone began to settle down, Ialari spared a glance to Aladon. He was the first isur she’d spent any time around in years. That in itself felt awkward to say the least. The strange irony of the feeling was not lost on her. She’d originally left Sultros in search of something that could help her people; help them restore their lost glory. They used to be the greatest race on Mizahar. Teachers, protectors, the ones every other race looked to for guidance. Now however they were buried under the mountains, isolated from the world and withdrawn from everything outside. She traveled all the way to Sahova, isle of the undead, stumbled across the possibility of a magic so powerful that it could lift the isur to levels never before realized. She’d sought the extermination of the human race all in the name of helping her people.

Yet now, after having come so far, learned so much, sacrificed even more, she realized that it was never about her people. It was always about her and all that such a thing currently meant. Here she was, in the presence of one of those she originally undertook it all for, and she felt even more alone than she did in the beginning. Have I been gone so long…

When morning finally arrived, Ialari woke to the lightshow and crackling of the magical shield. Thankfully she had avoided the nightmares for that evening although she wasn’t sure how; they came and went at random. With everyone jumping to attention, she jumped up and drew her monster-tooth dagger and kept her hand on Stormslinger. Still a little groggy from sleep, she followed Randal and Mathias as they charged off. When they arrived at the spot where the two strange creatures were trapped in the shield, Ialari leaned back and took a moment to look at what was caught. Humanoids with patterend skins with scaled metallic coloring. When the two creatures were released and fell to the ground, Ialari quickly realized two things. First, Vas was correct, the light show would surely reveal to anyone within a huge radius of their presence. Second, they indeed had prisoners.

Ialari listened to what everyone gathered had to say about the newly captured creatures before speaking up again keeping her words slow and measured to overcome her accent, “Hold on. We still have no idea what is out there waiting for us. We don’t know who or what these two are, how many of their friends are out there, what they are capable of or even if they are truly hostile. There is only one that appears conscious at the moment. I say we try and talk to it first, see if it understands any of our languages. If it is cooperative and able to communicate with us, we address that accordingly. If it is not though…we address that accordingly as well.” Ialari let the meaning of the last part sink in.

Looking around, she noted that they were still some distance from the ruins further in the jungle. “These two are likely just scouting, much like we are. I am not an expert on such a thing by far but if I were to set up a patrol to scout the area, I would travel with at least one other not only for safety but also if there were trouble to have one head back with word of what they find while the other deals with whatever threat is encountered. The fact that we got them both buys us extra time. Plus, if these things are intelligent, which I am leaning toward, yes they are, they would expect us to leave here rather quickly after such a display. That too may buy us time. My point is we have time to get answers to our questions before blindly running off into the jungle.” Ialari’s mind was moving almost too fast for her to keep up. As she spoke she was imagining all the possible outcomes of the actions they may take. It was all a part of the way she planned ahead for anything she may encounter in life, positive and negative.

Ever since her brief yet profound experience standing in for the Supervisor Golem of Sahova Citadel, the Champion of the God, Sagallius, she’d found that assault on her mind by the trap the Champion, Drainira had set for her, had changed the way she thought about things. While Ialari was sure that Drainira hadn’t intended such a thing, her thoughts had become more large scale. She would look at a situation, examine her choices and then break down what the outcome of each of those choices may be. The idea of choice and the power that it had on the future was a very important part of Ialari maintaining her sanity at times.

All of this was going on in Ialari’s head literally at the speed of thought. Turning her focus back to what everyone was trying to say and advise, she noted what Aladon said about setting traps and weakening the opposition. In response, “I doubt they are going to be running at us full force after the light show. That would make large scale traps pointless. They are going to send out another scouting pair or party to find out exactly what just happened, at least that seems like the smart thing to do. They won’t commit their entire group to this. Would we? We still have time. At most, I imagine we would have a handful of others come in this direction and they will be slow and cautious. Get all the information we can from these two, both from observation and from questioning and then plan from there. Patience is our greatest advantage right now.” Ialari then prayed silently for patience.
Image
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
User avatar
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.
 
Posts: 471
Words: 698807
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Fire In The Sky

Postby Gossamer on February 25th, 2018, 12:57 am

The rest of the party remained quiet as Vas and Kultra talked, and then as Anibesa asked her questions. Vas and Kultra gave each other a knowing look as the woman kept talking, rambling almost, and finally pinned her gaze on Kultra and asked what he felt was a bold and inappropriate question. A blond eyebrow lifted and Kultra’s gaze turned dangerous. “Let me get this straight…. little girl. We are standing in enemy territory, on the boarder of a World Gate, with an unknown force, having captured two prisoners that you want to dump because they would be too heavy to carry….. and all you really want to know is what kind of light show I’m sporting?” He shook his head in disgust and turned to Mathias. “These are your volunteers? These are the people you are counting on to help us get Morwen back on the sly? No petching wonder Leth culled this one and threw her out of his Domain.” He said, disgusted and then walked away without even remotely answering her question.

Disgust radiated off him. These people were selfish and foolish, not the stuff heroes were made of.

Satevis spoke up then… most of the party nodded at his agreement to move. However, when he again voiced that it sounded difficult to take the prisoners with them, Vas frowned. He glanced at Mathias, as if re-vocalizing Kultra’s previous outburst, and shrugged. He turned and walked over to where the two strangers were and hoisted first one up over one shoulder then the other one up over his other shoulder. His face was a mask of disgust too. “Glad they are so eager to do the hard stuff.” He added, turning to head in the direction Kultra went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~( from earlier ) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mathias looked up as Aladon approached. “Definitely from the world beyond the Gate, but who knows the whole of the truth. It could be a bit of both, or no to either.” Mathias added, looking thoughtful. He quietly listened to Aladon speak until he had run out of breath then Mathias paused a moment to respond.

“You assume much, but by your words I know you understand that.” Aladon spoke with more wisdom in noting he knew he was derelict in his knowledge of the Gods and Goddesses. “You assume that first that Morwen and Yshul stand just beyond The World Gate waiting for us to open it like croft holders waiting for the baker to open up so they can pick up their daily bread. Trust me. They aren’t. If that was the situation, they’d already be home, don’t you think? And how come you assume Gods and Goddesses work like that? The flash bang fancy throwing power around sort of way? I can promise you, Aladon, you can be standing right next to one and not even know it. They are a lot like us… and they do have limitations. If things could be fixed so easily, they wouldn’t be in the situation we are assuming they are in.” He said gently, treating Aladon with more care than was probably needed.

“Morwen is …. amazing, Aladon. I’ve had the privilege of meeting her. She’s the most gentle beautiful soul you’ve ever met. People automatically assume she’s cold because Winter is her sphere of power. But its obvious that she sees it a completely different way. She might as well be called the keeper of Beauty, though she is as humble as she is gentle, so she would not ever say that is her domain. Her daughter Yshul was born…. different. I have never met her but there is a wildness in that Goddess that no one can attribute to her blood from Morwen. She clings to darkness and holds tight those that embrace the darker things in life… thieves, brigands, even deviants. Nothing more different could have come from Morwen than Yshul. I only wonder what Yshul’s twins were like.” He said, then drifted off into silence. It was more information than he’d meant to give Aladon, but the Isur was a bit easy to talk to when he wasn’t clowning about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~( then later ) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two Founders nodded to Aladon’s words. They hadn’t followed Kultra and then Vas off with the prisoners, but had remained with the group at their camp. Both had been picking up their gear, as too had Rain and the rest. They were obviously going to move, it was just a matter of when and why.

About that time, Jansen Rainmere and Buraga arrived back. They’d been gone most of the night, scouting the surrounding area, and were reporting back. Rain caught the tail end of Aladon’s comments to the two Eths. Rain looked amused when Aladon started to gently chastise the two Eths and take them to task for being dense. She’d just seen that same ignorance herself and couldn’t believe they were speaking as they had.

The three scouts had let Aladon talk, voicing his thoughts.

Aladon carried on with an idea of splitting up, voicing it to Randal that they divide. But ultimately Randal shook his head as well. “Now you are the one getting ahead of yourself. You are assuming they are hostile. I am not so certain. Ialari there is the only one with a decent weapon that matches theirs, so I ‘m not sure how we can ‘take out their forces with minimal bloodshed’ unless you have another one of those weapons concealed up your ass, Aladon.” He said with a trace of humor on his face. “It’s a good idea if we had more information, but we don’t. We really need to talk to those prisoners. And follow Vas and Kultra to wherever they are moving the camp too.” Randal suggested, turning once more to Ialari who also had something to say.

It turned out Ialari agreed with Randal too. He nodded. “I agree, they are likely scouts. We’ll know more when Rain and Jansan and Buraga report.” He added, letting Ialari finish, though he glanced at the trio that has just returned. He nodded, agreeing with Ialari, hoping she meant not blinding running off towards the gate and not towards moving the camp to a saver location. They definitely needed to move.

Mathias joined Randal as Ialari spoke. He nodded to her speculation. “I think you are right. They won’t be running at us full force because they don’t know what we are just as much as we don’t know what they are. Moving might be the best course. Let’s get going… then Ialari you can question them if Vas indeed didn’t dispose of them already.” He said, turning and trying to get the group going. While Mathias took up the front, the rest followed, with Randal covering their trail behind the best he could.

As they walked, Rain, Buraga and Jansen gave their reports to Mathias. It was loud enough for the group to hear if they kept quiet and kept up. “There are about a dozen of them… no more than that. Four tents, and it looks like they sleep three to a tent with a main open pavilion type thing as a center of operations. They seem to know how to use the gate. It hasn’t opened since we’ve been here, but they do seem to have strange equipment. They are speaking common, but no one said anything important in our earshot. We got in and got out because of the strange equipment. We aren’t sure how easily we can be detected.” The first speaker was Rain. She was dressed for jungle stealth and seemed to be fearless at sneaking up and back from the others. Jansen just nodded and then gave his impressions as well. “They aren’t human, but honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if they are some sort of hybrid. They have a lot of human qualities. A human lizard hybrid maybe? The common doesn’t make sense. If they speak our language, why are they not from here?” He added, looking thoughtfully at Buraga.

The Security Officer nodded. “Never seen anything like them, but I wouldn’t bet against them having some sort of origin’s here. They look human… its uncanny, but I feel like they are more than that. I saw some evidence of magic as well. There’s a strange vessel near the encampment too… looks like a ship, a smaller one like maybe a Svefra would use. But we aren’t anywhere near the sea. It makes no sense. The oddest part is that it isn’t setting on the ground. It’s floating above it slightly. You wouldn’t notice unless you were detail orientated though. It’s not bobbing or anything. Its just…. There.” He added, furrowing his brows and looking like he was just as perplexed as he sounded.

By that time the group had traversed about four miles, following what looked like a game trail that Kultra and Vas had definitely disappeared down. It was easy walking and there was plenty of time for the group to chat amongst themselves as long as they were quiet. Randal was dragging behind, slowly erasing trail sign when he could and mulling the mud they tromped through erasing bootmarks and broken branches where he could.

After a bell and well into the morning light, they came out into a small natural clearing where Vas and Kultra were. They had both prisoners – evidently males – tussed up against thick jungle trees ready to be questioned. The group formed a loose semi-circle around them as the two odd men out backed away and let the party handle the questioning. Kultra nodded to Ialari and included everyone else in the offer..

“Have at them…. lets see what they know.” He said, looking rather pleased with himself for some reason. The one that was conscious – a coppery skinned man – glared at them. The other one, definitely a silver cast to his ‘scales’ seemed a little more groggy. He was the one that fried the most in Kultra’s light show. But he was definitely recovering.
Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsSykafall Coordination
User avatar
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.
 
Posts: 19933
Words: 5627845
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: Founder
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Fire In The Sky

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 25th, 2018, 3:31 am

Image
When Kultra lost his patience with Anibesa, Ialari remained quiet yet narrowed her eyes at the man’s comment about the “volunteers”. Followed by Vas’ comment about “doing the hard stuff”, she was becoming more frustrated with the two men’s general dismissal of anyone other than themselves. While she agreed that leaving the prisoners behind and moving on was a terrible idea, she couldn’t help but take some personal offense at being considered a lesser by the two men. Even though she had the odd feeling that there was something not quite “right” about the two, she still didn’t like their overall attitude thus far.

Despite the unique nature of the two Ethaefal, Ialari couldn’t help but feel a little annoyed at the idea of leaving the prisoners. Even Aladon, one of her own, seemed to be a bit too eager to jump at things without all the details. While Ialari wasn’t an expert in the ways of tactics, she could tell that the other three “volunteers” in this grand journey were probably less experienced. That alone renewed her concerns about the challenges facing the group as a whole. With Jansen and the other scouts returning with more information and Randal voicing his concerns and sharing his agreement that the prisoners should be talked to, Ialari couldn’t ignore the tension in the air. When Randal continued to agree with her perspective on what was going on, she started to feel a little less dismissed. When Mathias spoke up in agreement as well and offered to let Ialari question them assuming Vas hadn’t taken care of them already, Ialari was more at ease. Ialari was quick to follow after Mathias as they broke camp and made their way in the direction of Vas and Kultra.

On their way, Ialari made sure to wear her poncho while moving with deliberate and focused steps. The jungle was not an easy place to traverse with slick, wet leaves, mud and creeping, exposed tree roots. Although not fully familiar with all the sights and sounds of the jungle, she tried to keep her senses directed toward that which sounded out of place. At the same time she listened in on what was being said throughout the group as they travelled. The report from the scouts was especially interesting. The numbers of the opposition group were large although not overly so. A dozen of them was only slightly more than the Syka group. That they knew how to operate the gate and possessed some strange equipment only created more questions. The floating ship, now that was something completely different. The possibilities of what the scouting report was offering sent Ialari’s mind into overdrive. What sort of equipment do they have and what does it do? Floating ship? What sort of magic could be at work there? Speaking common? How was that possible if they were from the other side of the gate? Human-lizard hybrids? Similar to Dhani perhaps?

Ialari listened over commenting as they followed the path of Kultra and Vas. There were times for questioning and times for listening and this was the time for the latter. Surrounded by jungle, Ialari was suddenly filled with a strong feeling of being a bit out of place. Everything was happening rather quickly and while she was keeping up with it mentally, emotionally she was having a bit of a struggle. She’d been away from her Dominion for much of the season which was causing some separation anxiety. In her Dominion, she felt in control, strong and there was even a hint of stability in herself despite her broken condition. Outside, she was vulnerable. Thrust into a situation involving gods, lost magic and strange creatures should have been something she was familiar with. Instead, the differences between those around her were profound, there was noticeable weakness and distrust in the group and the unknown of the situation severely outweighed the known. She was starting to breath heavy and rapidly, her head started hurting. Then, it dawned on her. Wait…am I having a panic attack? Are you kidding me?!

She slowed a bit in her pace yet still tried to keep up with the rest of the group as she dealt with her own uncertainty. Ok, breath normally. You are in control. You are isur. You are Ialari Pythone Pitrius, Domineer and Child of Izurdin. She repeated these things silently to herself over and over again until her breathing leveled out and her head cleared. It all lasted only a few moments until thankfully Ialari’s mind calmed itself. By that time, the group had come out into the small clearing where Vas and Kultra had the prisoners tied up against some trees. As the group closed in around the suspended captives, Ialari had steeled herself mentally against the combined elements they were facing. She removed her poncho and most of her heavier clothing as the heat from the jungle as well as her momentary stressed condition were making her sweat. As Kultra nodded to her and gave her the go ahead, Ialari, morbidly enough, finally found her comfort place. Memories of interrogating the nuit back in Sahova filled her with desperately needed comfort. It was a darker part of herself that she hadn’t embraced for a long time; a part of herself she hated to admit that she missed.

The way the coppery skinned man glared reminded her of the way the defiant nuit looked at her before they inevitably revealed all that they knew to her. Slowly she stepped toward the restrained men while reaching for the sea-monster tooth dagger at her side. With a handle adorned with netting and seashells and a blade several inches long with a divinely enhanced finish, it felt good in her hand. Taking one more glance to the group, Ialari said, “If these two are intelligent, this should be easy and painless and we can be on our way.”

She then turned back to the coppery-skinned man and said slowly, “I imagine this isn’t exactly how you thought this day was going to go. That being said, I’m hoping you could answer some questions for us. If you’re cooperative, we can all continue on in good shape…” She looked at the silvery-colored man for a moment and added, “…well, at least in not all that bad of shape.” She kept her hand on the handle of her dagger but left it in place at her side. Still wearing her trousers and boots, Ialari left her shirt and poncho with her pouch leaving her with only a strip of silk for a chest wrap.

“Let’s start first with some niceties. What is your name? I am Ialari Pythone.” Ialari put on her best smile and altered her movements to be more subtle, soft and almost silky. The way she moved was in itself almost reptilian, snake-like. Having spent so much time around snakes and internalizing their qualities; even going so far as to share senses and feelings with the snakes born of her own blood, it was easy for her to slip into such mannerisms. She slowly moved her hand from the handle of her knife. “I have to admit, I am genuinely intrigued by you.” Ialari used a softer tone to match her movements. To the rest of the group, her mannerisms and tone would likely come across as being quite different than what they’d seen thus far from her.

Getting even closer, within a foot or so of the man, she stopped. Her voice as smooth and seductive as possible; imagining her words as being as sleek and powerful as the movements of a great constrictor as it twists and tightens its grip on its prey, “These people want to do one of two things. Some want to kill you and dump your body in the jungle because they think keeping you around will slow us down. Others want to brutalize you and make you feel more pain than you ever thought possible in order to get what they want. Me, I just want to know who and what you are, how and why you are here and is there any way we can come to a mutual understanding that is in the best interest of both of us. Do you think you can help with that?”

Ialari’s earlier panic attack was completely forgotten. She was in her element now. She saw the captive as an incomplete work in need of shaping and molding. She did not see a strange, human-like being tied to a tree. Instead she saw an opportunity to reshape a situation into something more useful, more beneficial. Unconsciously, Ialari flicked her tongue at the air between her and the man as if tasting the air like a snake; adding to her seductive, snake-like mannerisms. She was playing, consciously and unconsciously to the possible reptilian aspect of the man as she moved and spoke. If that didn’t work, as with a real snake, there was always the bite.
Image
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
User avatar
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.
 
Posts: 471
Words: 698807
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Fire In The Sky

Postby Satevis on February 27th, 2018, 1:32 am

Image
Satevis glanced once at Anibesa before answering Ialari's questions. He could not speak for the other Ethaefal. His few encounters with others of his kind had taught him that for the most part, an Ethaefal's memories of their past lives and their feelings about those memories were a very personal experience, varying from individual to individual. But he could speak for himself and his own memories, and there were some commonalities to the experience, at least. "I remember certain things," Satevis said. "Feelings, mostly. The memories are stronger at night, when I am in this form. But the experience of being in the divine realm is so different from ordinary existence. I'm not even sure these bodies can fully remember what we had there, just how much it hurts to lose it..."

There was a note of genuine emotion in that last line, breaking up the otherwise academic quality of Satevis's answer. He cleared his throat to compose himself, settling on answering the next of Ialari's questions. [b]"I feel a connection to Leth...I haven't particularly thought about a connection to the divine realms. As to how it feels to have this soul..."
Satevis thought about it for a while before shaking his head. "How does it feel to have your body? Your soul? I have a hard time answering that question. My clearest memories are of my time in this body. For all intents and purposes, it's the only body and soul that I know. I do remember some fragment of my past life, but I was, literally, a different person then." It was like trying to describe how it felt to exist. Even in his native language, words were insufficient.

"Of course, I can't speak for Anibesa," he said, inclining his head towards his compatriot. "While there are some commonalities, the actual experience, I'm told, is personal."

He listened with intense concentration as Ialari described her experience in the Ukalas, feeling that sharp stab of hope twist in his gut. If what she was saying was true, then she was likely the closest Satevis had ever gotten to someone who could offer him a way back home. But even as he felt that hope, he felt the sadness that came along with it. Whatever she could offer him, unless she could restore him to Leth's divine realm itself, it would be nothing more than an imitation, just as meeting the other Ethaefal was an imitation of the fellowship they had once shared. It would likely only cause him pain.

And yet...and yet he wanted to believe her. It wasn't just that what she was saying revealed truths to him that likely very few people had ever heard in their lifetimes, he wanted to believe that she could help them. And that desire was so overwhelming that it superseded rational thought, rational caution. He wanted.

"If..." he cleared his throat, because his voice had gotten oddly thick over the course of their conversation. "If what you're saying is true, I would gladly want to discuss it further. I think..." and saying this hurt, but it didn't make it any less true. "...I think that we should focus on our tasks in the meantime. But I would like to discuss this with you when we return, and perhaps we can talk about your experiences as a Domineer as well."

However the conversation ended, Satevis would soon find himself with the others, debating on what to do about the prisoners. He turned towards Aladon, frowning at the Isur's words. "I never said I thought we should condemn them to death," he said. "Perhaps my Common is not so clear. I was pointing out the difficulties in taking them with us, unconscious as they are. I am, of course, willing to do what our guides deem best."

Still, he had to admit that Kultra's attitude rubbed him the wrong way. Especially when it came to his words to Anibesa and Leth. His eyes narrowed, and he turned towards the other man.

"That was uncalled for," he said. "We are all doing what we can. If experience was what you needed from us, perhaps experience and not 'willingness' was what you should have asked for." Throughout the entire exchange, those were the only words Satevis said that displayed anger. But he was angry, more about the remark than the situation itself.

It wasn't as if he didn't know that he was well in over his head.

Still, as he walked, his anger ebbed. He would make mistakes. That was a given. The only thing that he could do was to learn from them.

Learn, and learn quickly. It was the sort of thing he was used to doing with books, but this was no academic course of study. This was life and death, and if he didn't value his own life as much as he should, he certainly valued the lives that would be lost if he didn't shape up in a hurry.

As they walked, he listened to Rain, Buraga, and Jansen's reports. A dozen of them, sleeping three to a tent...again, another sign of organization, society, civilization. The fact that they spoke Common surprised him. He wondered where they had learned it from, and whether they had had any contact with any of the known races. The information about their ship was even more tantalizing--they clearly had access to magic.

Satevis focused on keeping pace with the group, thinking these things over. He frowned just as Ialari slowed, close to the clearing. Satevis slowed as well, letting the others enter the clearing as he neared her. "Are you alright, Ialari?" he asked.

Whatever was bothering her, if anything, clearly faded as soon as they saw the prisoners. Satevis hung back and observed as she took the initiative and began to interrogate the prisoners, not wanting to disrupt her when she was clearly in a rhythm. The way she spoke to them, the way she acted, disturbed him, but he knew that because it disturbed him, he should not interfere. The information that they stood to acquire here was necessary, and being soft would help no one. Instead, he kept his eyes on the prisoner's expressions, gauging their reactions to Ialari's words, and taking care to pay attention to their responses.

Ialari was only one person, and she would likely be focused on interrogating them. She might not be able to observe every nuance, every detail of their reaction. Satevis doubted he could do the same, but more eyes were better than less.
Image

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
User avatar
Satevis
Player
 
Posts: 352
Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Location: Syka
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fire In The Sky (Grandfathered)

Postby Aladon on March 2nd, 2018, 10:43 am

Image
Aladon listened to Mathias speak about the workings of the gods, and once again, he mentioned that he assumed much about the gods. He was correct when a person doesn't know the gods personally. They rely on stories and hearsay to get their information about the unknown, but it doesn't make them stupid. Looking at Mathias when he finished telling him about the Morwen and Yshul, the Isur spoke, “I do assume a lot about the gods because I never really had much experience with them. I can only work with tools given to me. All I know about the gods other than Izurdin is very limited knowledge given to me by stories, hearsay, and rumors. These stories have given me a more fantastical view on the gods. If I knew them personally, like yourself than my view would probably be similar to yourself, but sadly, they are not.” Running a hand through his sweaty hair, he continued, “I do thank you education, and I really hope to get Morwen back. She sounds like a wonderful person along with her intriguing daughter and the twins...”

Listening to Satevis as they debated, Aladon gave him a flat look for his common being unclear comment, and he waited for the Eth to finish for him to respond emotionless tone, “I understood your common quite well, Satevis, but I do stand by my statement even if it irritates you. To answer your question, we pick them up and drag them. I rather do that than let them die in the jungle. Unless you would want us to let them go to report back to their commanders if we let them run free.”

Aladon listened to Kultra snap at Anibesa when she asked him about the type of magic that he used to capture the outsiders. It was a harmless question at another time, but it was wildly inappropriate for their current situation. The Isur felt sorry for Anibesa. He knew that she didn't mean any harm by the question, but Kultra seemed to not in to mood to humor the ignorant. However, he narrowed his eyes when his anger went passed just Anibesa as Kultra and Vas targeted all the volunteers from Syka willingness to contribute to the cause. If he didn't give a shyte about getting Morwen back, he would be sitting on the beach drinking a rum drink! They gave every volunteer a chance to bail out in the beginning of the quest, but we were still here sweating in a miserable jungle. The Isur growled inwardly as he listened to the blond bastard talk about Anibesa being culled from Leth domain. He agreed with Satevis that Kultra went too far. He doubted the blond prick would ever apologize to her, so he stood next to her and said softly to the woman, “I know you, Anibesa, and I know you meant no harm by your question. Don't let him take away your convictions to help Morwen. Hold your head high daughter of Leth. You know full well that Leth is always watching you and Satevis.”

Running up behind Vas and Kultra, the Isur said with a nod, “I understand why both of you are pissed at us “Volunteers”, but if we are going to work together, you need to include us in the grunt work, so both you don't get burnt out. I know Anibesa question was ill timed, but we only know your names, so we really don't know what both of you are capable of.” Looking at Kultra, the Isur said, “If you knew nothing of magic wouldn't you be surprised at immense power one of your allies had? It a mortal's nature to be curious about the unknown. Curiosity is gift right times and flaw at the wrong times...” Aladon said honestly, “It doesn't matter to me what you think of me, and I can't speak for Satevis or Ialari. However, Anibesa is my friend, so I think it is unfair to write her off for a question. She is a good person, and I believe her convictions to the cause are pure...”

Looking at Vas, Aladon knew that he was taking a risk by talking frankly to two powerful people, but he needed to help Anibesa somehow. He wasn't going to just sit there as she got berated by complete strangers. Hoping a little gesture could help clear the air, he asked with a nod, “Do you need help carrying one of them, or I can carry your gear to lighten your load?”

Aladon listened to Ialari's thoughts about his plan, and he had to admit that she had a point. He wasn't a warrior, but he thought the Outsider camp would come to investigate the strange lights. He probaly miscalculated the amount of people that they would send, but He nodded to Ialari and said with a soft smile, “Yes. You are right. Patience is the key to our success. I have been forgetting our core teachings with all this stress of the day...”

When Randal talked to him, the Isur knew that Randal was making a joke, but he couldn't help, but feel that he was being patronized by the people in charge. A simple no was have suffice. In the future, he will just wait to give suggestions since there was no single leader to the group. He wasn't sure who was making the final decisions. Taking a deep breath, Aladon said with a nod, “I understand...”

Aladon stayed silent as he followed the close to the rest of the group. His eyes remained to the shadows of the dark jungle as he stumbled through the thick jungle, and he wondered if he should had just stayed in Syka. The Isur wondered why if the Founder's didn't think the Outsiders were hostile. Why didn't they just said a diplomat to them? It would have saved time and energy of bringing a full force into the jungle. The blacksmith was just making suggestions on the intelligence given to them at the being of the journey. Besides, they just captured a pair of the Outsiders and are about to interrogate them. Before they set up camp, he suggested to Randal that they just talk to them, but he was ignored. Now with Kultra light show, they took two of them as prisoners. If they decided to talk to the other group, the people from Syka might be considered the aggressors for taking some of them as prisoners. This whole situation could have been handled better if it was planned ahead in dealing with the Outsiders.

The Isur listened to the scouts tell them about the group at the gate. It sounds like they are capable of using the gate, but Kultra intelligence with the numbers in the beginning of the quest were completely wrong. From what the scouts, they speak common, so they might be from here. It was interesting detail, and he wondered if they were scientists, but he didn't want to say anything yet. He wait till another discussion because he didn't want to be accused of assuming things again. When the Buruga told him about the ship, he remembered Mathias story about Pavena and the star ships. Aladon said loud enough for the scouts to hear, “Forgive me if I am assuming, but the floating ship sounds like one of the star ships the kelvic twin made...”

Since it was Ialari's idea to interrogate them, it would be wrong of him to break her rhythm and interrupt her during her talks with the Outsiders. Walking over to Ialari, he tapped her on her shoulder to get her attention. He said to her with a respectful nod, “I have a suggestion. When you interrogate them, you should ask if they are scientists. Since Syka is primarily a research settlement, we might be able to find some common ground with them on the subject of research. I am hoping this could give us insight into entering peaceful negotiations with them to allow us access to the World Gate without violence.” Taking a step back, he didn't want to crowd the woman and prisoners, so he sat on the ground and took a drink of water and listened to interrogation.
Thank you Gossamer for the posting template!
User avatar
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist
 
Posts: 97
Words: 116392
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2017, 3:46 am
Location: Syka
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fire In The Sky (Grandfathered)

Postby Anibesa on March 2nd, 2018, 9:02 pm

Image

"Common" | "Fratava" | "Tukant"

Anibesa listened to Ialari’s questions to her and Satevis, and she listened to Satevis as he answered the Isur womans questions, nodding in agreement to almost everything that he said, though she was certain for him that the pain and loss he felt was far greater and fresher than her own. After all he was over forty years younger than her and she’d found that with time those feelings had dulled, though they hadn’t gone completely.
”Honestly everything is very much the same as your own feelings and thoughts Satevis, it’s as though these minds can’t comprehend anything from there. All I know is that it’s somewhere that I felt as though I belonged, whereas here no matter where I am there’s always just the memory of that and nothing can match it.” she said, shrugging slightly as she did so.
Then she listened Ialari speak about her dominion and Ukalas, and Anibesa nodded at her words contemplatively. She hadn’t heard of anything like that before, and the knowledge from Ialari that the tears in the Ukalas were from the Valterrian was knowledge that seemed to reassure Anibesa and a slight smile spread across her face.
”Honestly I’m not sure whether something like that would cause more pain or not, but I’d be interested in speaking more on the matter.” Anibesa smiled slightly at the woman thankfully. She didn’t know much about the woman, but she definitely appreciated the way that the woman was willing to help them.

As Satevis seemed to agree with her, Anibesa nodded at the other Ethaefal, then as Aladon disagreed, Anibesa turned her head to look at him, aware that what she had suggested had been suggested without really knowing much, and she was interested in hearing Aladon’s point of view, then as Ialari spoke up Anibesa looked towards her. The Isur woman seemed to be the most knowledgeable and experienced than the rest of them, and she was someone that Anibesa believed would have the most sensible questions and answers.
She listened as Aladon and Satevis debated over what they thought was best, and Anibesa found herself agreeing with Aladon. She hadn’t considered how dangerous the jungle could be for even them, and she also hadn’t considered how the two humanoids could report back to their comrades.

When Kultra snapped at her, Anibesa was shocked at first. She knew that she had a habit of asking questions a lot, and she knew that she had no idea what the best course of action would be, or how to conduct herself properly, but she’d never had someone react so badly to her question.
As the blonde man spoke she lightly bit the inside of her lip, trying to stop herself from saying anything more. She doubted an apology would really help the situation, and she didn’t know what she could say to alleviate the situation. As he brought the other volunteers into question Anibesa looked to the ground, more disappointed that her actions had brought into call the validity of the others. She knew that she wasn’t the most fitting for such a task, but the others she couldn’t speak for. Even so, they had volunteered to help where they could have just opted to ignore what was happening and just gone about what had become their normal lives, though she got the feeling that the blonde man would have preferred that to have been the case, at least considering herself.

Then she heard Satevis speak up and she found shooting a quick glare to the other Ethaefal, not sure whether his words would make things worse, though she kept quiet unsure of how she could resolve the situation. Had the man only addressed her, she would have been more comfortable with what to say in response, and she’d find it easier to shrug off, but once he had mentioned the others she felt as though it was completely out of her hands. She didn’t want to say anything for fear of aggravating the situation, but the others were defending themselves and her to some degree, and that wasn’t something she was comfortable with.

Then as Aladon spoke to her, Anibesa smiled at him, thankful for his words as she stopped chewing on the inside of her lip.
”Honestly, I deserved that. I need to learn when things are appropriate, though I’m sorry you all got dragged into it.” she briefly glanced down to the floor again, before looking back up to Aladon. ”We’re trying at least, and I doubt many of us have ever encountered anything similar to this. Either way, we’ve got to stick together and see this through, regardless of hurt feelings and pride.”

When the scouts returned, Anibesa continued listening as it was debated that the humanoids might not be hostile, but if it was believed that they weren’t hostile why had it been decided that such a group would go, and why were they sneaking around so much. Anibesa cleared her mind and shook her thoughts away, aware of how little she knew of such things.
Then came the information of how many they’re were, how they were sleeping and what they spoke. Knowing that they spoke common made things seem slightly easier to Anibesa, and then the knowledge that they seemed to be at least part human. Both of those pieces of information seemed as though it would make their task easier, but they also intrigued Anibesa.
Buraga said that he doubted they were from Mizahar, and then spoke of the ship-like vessel, and how it was floating.
”Floating?” she mumbled to herself, before remembering what had been said earlier about the Kelvic twins having flying ships and was about to question whether this ship could be similar, before she heard Aladon bring that up and she nodded slightly, in agreement with him. ”I was just thinking that, but I got the impression that the Kelvic twins ones were bigger than that.” she said quietly, not sure whether she had just misinterpreted what had been said earlier and had dreamt up large, grand ships that floated through the air.

Then they came to a stop and Kultra nodded to Ialari, offering the humanoids for questioning, and Anibesa watched Ialari touch the dagger on her side and mention that it shouldn’t be hard for them to get what they want, and Anibesa nodded, fully aware that any attempt she made at interrogation wouldn’t likely be successful. Aladon’s suggestion to Ialari made little sense to Anibesa. Even if the creatures were researchers, she didn’t see quite how that would help them negotiate.
She inhaled, as though ready to speak and offer her own opinion, then realised that there wasn’t really anything of value that she could say. Interrogation wasn’t her strong suit and that was likely best left to someone else.

Instead of interrupting Ialari at all Anibesa took a step back and kept a blank face, trying not to show any signs of emotion as she watched Ialari and how she moved, listening to her to see if she could learn from the Isur woman at all whilst attempting to listen out for anything out of the ordinary in the jungle, though she found herself completely enthralled in the woman’s fluid movements and her seductive and smooth voice, combined with the words that used. The combination of threats and reassurance. It was almost like a performance and Anibesa was eager to learn how it played out and Anibesa knew that once this was over and they were back on the beach, she’d have to find out how Ialari chose what to do, and how she was so confident.

Briefly pulled from her thoughts she turned her head away from Ialari and the two captives, looking into the jungle as she kept an eye out for anything, not wanting Ialari to be interrupted by anything, be it one of the creatures that lurked in the jungle, or more of the humanoid creatures. For the most part she kept facing away from the humanoids though occasionally she looked to her left and to her right, keeping an eye out in all directions for anything disruptive or potentially dangerous.
~
Lethaefal-Svefra
Day Night
Eyes Blue Blue
Hair Auburn Black
Horns Green
Skin Fair and freckled Marble like, cool toned and shimmering
User avatar
Anibesa
Svefra by Day, Letheafal by Night
 
Posts: 218
Words: 164692
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2017, 2:27 pm
Location: Syka/UK
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: valeriaom60 and 0 guests