[Sanctuary] Long Ride Home (Open for Sanct members)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Vahn Gremio on February 12th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Vahn smiled warmly at kavala and placed a hand upon her hip as she touched him. She was duly worried about him, but did she understand that he was truly at home in the open, rather than in a bed? The covers, the softness of the mattress, the pillows: everything seemed so unnatural, so stifling. he wanted to be able to wake and run the moment his eyes opened. He was appreciative that she was offering a bed, but mao had actually offered him something he would gladly accept, even if she had meant it in a teasing way. That part backfired on her.

"I appreciate your concern, Miss Kavala, but I am quite comfortable in a stall like this. Perhaps adding a bit of cloth or padding for the winter would keep me warm, but other than that it would be perfect for me. However, I will not take a stall if one of my herd required it, and would gladly accept a room up with everyone else."

He had already set down his saddlebags, stretching his shoulders and neck a bit as well as leaning backwards to let his back crack slightly. After all, it had been quite the long run to Sanctuary, and he had not wanted to crack his back earlier during the "faceoff" with his fellow kelvic. He wondered why she still held such animosity towards him....he never did understand the mind of a predator. They always wanted to kill, kill, kill. He doubted the woman had ever run just for the fun of it...perhaps he could show her sometime in the future.

He doubted mao would answer his question now, but he remained there waiting, to see if the jaguar would tell him why she despised humans so much. He had his own dislikes about the human race, but never to the point of wanting to kill them for the fun of it. maybe break their bones with a well aimed kick, but never intentionally kill one...
Vahn Gremio
Plainstrider

Words: 28316
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2011, 4:41 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Mao on February 21st, 2011, 6:03 am

oocSorry for the stupidly late reply. I feel terrible.

Mao has lived in Sanctuary so long it was painfully easy to tell Vahn was an equine by just taking a quick whiff. It wasn’t the question of the millennia nor was it of any real shocking revelation that she could have garnered that much from his scent. She was a predator; therefore the Kelvic could tell what was her potential meal.

Nor did Mao care that Vahn hadn’t been offended by her suggestions. She was nonchalant to his cheeky demeanor and relatively found him slightly inferior. She was a killer, she didn’t care that he found the stalls to his liking nor that he was disgusted because she killed a few stupid kelvics in her lifetime. From her perspective, they had been an obstacle during her travels, or they had been simply mistaken for dumb animals until she realized, after the bloodlust had been sated, that they had been her kin.

“I’m not a horse, therefore I follow no herd,” Mao retorted, “And as for my reasons, that’s not for you to know.”

Then abruptly came the familiar touch of the Konti. Mao welcomed it. Her hand always seemed comforting when Mao wasn’t about getting into trouble or disrupting the peace. Almost instinctively her own hand trailed with the webbed one of Kavala’s, and when she whispered in her ear, she couldn’t help but turn her head toward the sound. Like a kitten looking to be pet, she pressed herself against the Konti and allowed the gentle touch, until of course, Vahn had to ruin it.

Snapping out of her reverie, Mao glared at the equine Kelvic just as Kavala stepped away. “My tooth hasn’t been hurting,” She said, in regards to her molar, “However this cub needs to go.” She gestured toward her stomach, “He’s been causing me to lose my dinner too much, and I’m not enjoying it.” Then she stared at Vahn, as if debating on whether or not snapping a limb off of him was worth it for a snack. “Shouldn’t you be mounting some mares, already?”
Mao
Nyancat

Words: 151412
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 10:03 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Kavala on February 21st, 2011, 11:46 am

ImageKavala nodded. She'd respect Vahn's wishes, but she'd also slowly introduce him to the niceties of society outside of the herd, even if it was slowly. The Konti watched the Kelvic quietly, admiring his calmness he exhibited facing Mao. She wasn't an easy person to deal with. Later, when things were quiet, Kavala would tell Vahn what she knew of Mao's life and the hardships she'd been through. Until then, she'd watch and see how he dealt with the big cat.

As for Mao, her answer surprised Kavala. "Your tooth will be hurting soon, Mao. We'll need to release the pocket of pus which is the abscess, and clean it out or else you might loose it. We need to do that soon before it gets worse. But as for the baby, I can give you some herbs that will settle your stomach so you aren't so ill." She replied, glancing over at Vahn. "You still have a year of gestation for the cub, Mao. You need to be careful. And when you start getting bigger, you'll need to stop shifting so much. It can hurt the child." Kavala said softly, worried. She wanted this pregnacy to survive. It wasn't the reason Mao was pregnant though. Kavala was to blame. She'd given Mao some heat enhancing herbs that caused Sorian and her activities to take fruit. Kavala had done it to protect Mao. She was afraid Mao's bloodthirsty ways would become a problem in Riverfall and perhaps put her life in jeopardy. Carrying a child, though, was definitely a way to protect Mao. The Akalak's would never kill a woman carrying one of their offspring, regardless of her crime. That was what Kavala was aiming for - protection. If Mao wanted the cub gone, that was a problem.

It was a big problem. But she wasn't really sure what to do. Kavala took a deep breath and decided just to watch Mao for now, being careful of what she said or did.

Kavala sighed. It was another serious thing to worry about. There was so many. But first, there was Vahn to get settled. She offered him a tired smile and reached out to stroke Mao's hair again, still being very careful to touch her and keep thinking calm thoughts. "Vahn, when you're ready. I'll introduce you to the mares." She said softly, glancing at Mao. And then she winced at Mao's comment.

"Mao!"
Kavala said, whirling on the jaguar, and letting her hand drop from where it was still stroking the girls black hair. Sometimes the cat pushed her too much. "This is Vahn's new home, and I expect you to treat him with respect. Everyone here deserves respect! Everyone. He's here for multiple reasons. Its the middle of winter. Right now, he's going to be on the defensive against predators. " Like you... it as unspoken but implied. "His sexual activities are none of your business...." Kavala snapped, at the end of her leash. She was tired, a little cranky, and a whole lot frustrated by Mao's attitude.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Vahn Gremio on February 21st, 2011, 8:41 pm

Vahn placed a hand upon Kavala's shoulder, smiling at her while shaking his head slightly. He was truly happy that the woman was wanting to defend him so adamantly, but there were times when one had to fend for themselves.

"Miss Kavala, I appreciate your concern, but there are times when one must not simply be given respect, but earn it. I believe this is going to be the way things are between me and this kitten for a while. Not everyone gets along so well like you and I have from the beginning."

He released the woman's shoulder and leaned forward, looking at Mao's stomach. No wonder the woman had been so grouchy and pissy as of late. He had heard many women experienced fits of anger or extreme emotion when with child, and if both of these women had colts within their stomach, then...Vahn might be in some serious trouble...

Smiling at Mao, the horse kelvic set to making himself at home, placing some of his belongings in the stables. He took a quick snack of oats and returned to the two women.

"I'm ready to meet my herd, if you are, Miss Kavala. Mao is welcome to come, if she wishes to accompany us. After all, she is part of the herd, or perhaps she would prefer the term 'pack'. Both mean the same in my mind..."
Vahn Gremio
Plainstrider

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on March 3rd, 2011, 7:00 pm

ImageKavala smiled softly, an offering of friendship and patience. She reached up and placed one of her hands over Vahn's own. "Okay, I understand." She did too. Back off. He would make his own way and fight his own battles. Kavala just wanted to protect him, comfort him, make his way here easier. The konti healer knew she was putting a great deal of pressure on Vahn, and herself in many ways because she wanted him to be happy - content - and to want to be here rather than running the Grasslands with the horses of the Drykas.

Vahn disappeared for a moment, placing his things and grabbing a snack, and while he did so Kavala took a moment to study Mao. She wasn't sure what to say, so instead she slipped into her office and pulled herbs from the storage area. She made them into a packet that then could be broken down into little hand-sewn tea bags. The healer offered them to Mao. "Drink these herbs after they've steeped in hot water before you hunt and you shouldn't get ill eating. Mao... don't hurry this pregnancy. Don't do anything to harm the child. It will mean your life, especially here, and if you leave you know the Cerulean will hunt you just to protect and retrieve your child." Kavala said this in a low worried voice, knowing what would happen if Mao threatened her child within the hearing of the Council or if any word indeed got back that something like that was going to happen. Azure eyes met Mao's green ones and she studied her hard. "Promise me, Mao. You'll protect this child. Promise me." Kavala said softly, urgently.

And then Vahn was back and Kavala nodded. "Yes, lets go meet the herd." She said with a nod and a glance at Mao. Her look was both inviting and employing. "Coming with?"

The Horses of Sanctuary were mostly out in fields on either side of the facility, though some were with her elderly Strider stallion out further to spare the grasses close to home. Other than Windsong, whom Vahn had already met, Kavala walked by Sivak's stall and introduced Vahn to Silk and Ghost, the other resident stallions. Most were mixed blood, though Sivak was a pure Seme and probably the biggest of the lot of them. "These boys have a very important job, Vahn. While you will be the primary stallion, you cannot rebreed your daughters and intermingle the bloodline. These will be here for that reason and to provide our clients who bring their own mares in for service a variety." Kavala was curious as to how Vahn would react to her other stallions and how they'd get along. It was important for harmony in Sanctuary. She didn't expect friendships, but she did expect cooperation.

Next they went to the arena. In the arena, Kavala had a mingling of foals from last year that were almost yearlings. While they weren't going to be Vahn's responsibility breeding wise for another few years, he'd have to protect them in the field and grazing further from home. She had them in the arena because she'd worked them that morning and hadn't yet released them back out into the yearling field.

There were nine fillies, all ranging from desertbreds to sungolds to frostmarches, gildlings and striders. There was also a blond strider colt that was in among them. Kavala had managed to trade most of the males off besides that one and she truthfully had no idea why she’d kept the youngster. “Most don’t have names yet. We’ve had them less than a year. If you’d like to help name them that’d be great.” Kavala opened the arena gate and wandered out among the youth. Kavala watched Vahn’s reaction (and kept a careful eye on Mao because she knew foals were great jaguar food) because the youth was the future of the farm. If Vahn didn’t take care of them and didn’t take the time to want to be with them, there would be issues in the future.

Kavala touched each one, greeting them individually, calling most of them ‘baby’ or ‘sweet’. Part of the reason she didn’t name them, not yet, was because this crop of foals was expendable. They weren’t born into the pattern of her breeding program, so if she needed to trade one for funds, she could. Names created attachment and moreso an anxiety on where they would end up and who would use them. It was important to Kavala that they all be treated well if they didn’t stay.

After the arena, they headed to the fields. There were two different groups of mares. One was the ‘for sale’ mares that were in training as mounts and conditioning as warriors. Then there were the brood mares. Kavala took Vahn to the sale mounts first because she knew he’d want to take the longest time with the brood mares. From the arena, they cut through a stall on the south side and out into a field that housed those individuals. There were thirteen mares in that section. They were all breeds and all ages, though mostly young.

“Some of these mares will become breeders next year if they don’t sale. Pysa, the grey desertbred there, will be one of those. Luma, Ice, and Dana are some of those. But I’d consider any of them if they don’t sell. “
She wandered into the thick of the mares and greeted each one. She offered sugar cubes from her pocket and took the time to pull a tangled bramble out of Charlin’s mane. Neeka got a quick check since she had a cracked hoof. She gave them all careful oversight then turned to Vahn. “What do you think?”

She’d save the brood mares until last.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vahn Gremio on March 16th, 2011, 8:00 pm

((Sorry for the long delay, but seeing as Mao has not replied or responded to PMs, I'll post and hope she catches up...))

Vahn looked at each of the mares with a smile that widened with each new horse that came into his sight. Each of them were absolutely beautiful, their flanks drawing his eyes as well as their manes and rippling muscles. His inner beast was already growing restless, his heartbeat quickening and his foot rubbing back and forth against the dirt, as if pawing his hoof impatiently.

He looks over at Kavala, his eyes wide with glee as she spoke of each mare being his to breed first, with the other two stallions as back up in case he ever got tired. Vahn was a young kelvic: he would not tire any time soon, he was certain of that. Especially since he had never gotten to breed with another horse in any of the temporary herds he had belonged to.
His voice was a bit shaky at first, but he quickly got it under control as he forced his excitement down a level.

"This is amazing...all this, and you only wish for me to breed with your horses? I feel like I am getting the better end of the deal, Miss Kavala...Certainly you have some other sort of service you would ask of me in order to live amongst you all?"

His body shivered, still not used to the cold air of winter, his naked flesh growing goosebumps all along his muscled body. his teeth even began to chatter a bit, although he tried his hardest to ignore it...
Vahn Gremio
Plainstrider

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on March 21st, 2011, 7:53 pm

ImageNoteWe lost Mao to Dragon Age 2 I think.

Kavala smiled gently, nodding. "Thank you. I've worked hard collecting this broodmare herd. But there's always more to having a herd than just breeding them Vahn. You must learn each one. You must see to their needs. They will need protecting and guarding from both predators and humans. You'll need to watch for illness in them and separate out the ones that aren't feeling well, are hurt, or need special care. You'll have to treat them gently, for I will not tolerate any abuse from you towards them. And in terms of breeding, I will tell you when the time is right for each then you can feel free to do your job, whenever had however you'd like. You'll have privacy. Otherwise, I'd hope you'd guard this band of mares as if they are completely and wholly your own." Kavala said softly.

"There is always work to do.. Riverfall is rife with danger. There's storms and weather and raiders. There are endless chores, Vahn, some of which us women can't always do ourselves because of our physical stature. You can help out with all of it and we'd be grateful, but you aren't a slave here. I can pay you a salary like any other employee and teach you anything you'd like to learn that is within my power including reading, and basic math so you can start using the markets and doing for yourself. I know you are a horse, but there's a side of you that is human too and I know sooner or later you'll be curious as to life outside the wilds and in the city."
Kavala said thoughtfully, continuing to move through the broodmare herd. She greeted each mare and thoughtfully stopped to run her hands down one mare's leg who was limping. Power surged from her gnosis mark as she healed the strained muscle in the foreleg and brought the mare relief from her limp.

"I'll also need help with the bloodbanes when they come - with their training and their manners. You'll be able to speak their language and that should help tremendously." She said, moving on to the next mare, pulling a bramble out of her mane. "We can journey together too. It would be extremely nice to have a kelvic mount for certain trips. I'd like us to train thusly as well, for you carry a rider well, but you can learn a lot more too, like how to fight with your rider." Kavala said. "That is, of course, until you find someone to bond too and begin to serve them. Things might change then, especially your participation in our breeding program, because I know some Kelvic bondmates are close and you might not be allowed too." Kavala never considered herself bondmate material. Kelvics just didn't see her that way, which often made her sad, but was a fact she accepted. She was alone in the world, especially since Hatot had left and her family seemed thousands of miles away.

But she was building a new one here, one soul at a time, starting with the horses and moving into the staff and even her child. It would all work out, life never failed, it seemed to do that.

"Is there any particular thing you want to learn or a job you'd like to do outside of managing the mares?"
Kavala asked, curious if he had something in mind.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vahn Gremio on April 7th, 2011, 7:38 pm

((Very late reply. So sorry, Kavala. :( ))

Vahn never thought of anything more than breeding, running, and protecting the herd. She had even offered to teach him how to more effectively carry a rider, in roder to help defend their home. It was a great idea, but he also wanted to know how to fight like the 2-legged could fight. They seemed to have much more skill and adaptability than his horse form, something that might come in handy when fending off predators.

His mind also trailed to what she had said earlier, something about a bondmate. She seemed rather sad when she said those words, which made him sad a bit, as well. Walking up close to her, he bent down and looked her in the eyes, tilting his head slightly with a smile upon his face.

"I would be honored to be trained as your mount, miss Kavala. If you could also train me in the way you two-legs fight, I would like that as well. However, might I ask a question?"

Rather than wait for her answer, he went ahead and stubbornly asked anyways. The question for her permission had only been a formality, after all..."Why do you often grow sad or distant when speaking of bondmates? Do you not have one? Isn't that what the bracelet is for?"

He pointed to her bracelt, the item she had shown him and explained its signifigance to him before in Endrykas. "You speak as if you are alone, miss Kavala. Yet, I see that you are surrounded by those who love you, respect you, count on you. I envy your leadership ability and the trust you instill into everyone here. I can only hope to match your ability of being an Alpha, so that I might become one with the mares and stallions here amongst our herd."
Vahn Gremio
Plainstrider

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on April 27th, 2011, 8:48 pm

ImageWhen Vahn caught her gaze, she smiled slightly looking into his warm eyes. She could feel his sincerity and kindness, his determination and wisdom. He was a good choice for Sanctuary - a very good choice indeed.

"Then I'll teach you, Vahn. We'll learn together. There will be a lot to practice, and a lot of teamwork required, but we'll get it right together. After the baby comes, we'll start." She said softly, meaning every word of it. At his request to ask a question, she nodded. Vahn was no slave, in any way shape or form. He could do what he liked and speak his mind when thoughts filled it he wanted to express them. She was glad in fact he had questions.

His question turned out to be framed more like a statement, as if he was trying to tell her something or get her to see something she was missing. Kavala nodded slowly, thinking about what he said. "It's just simply that I want something Vahn that I cannot have. Sometimes those are the things you covet the most. I would like a mate that is always there for me, like you are going to be for your mares. I envy them already because I know they are going to have the best of care from you. You don't need to envy my leadership, Vahn, because you have plenty of your own deep inside, even if you can't see it. Already you show me by your questions and actions. I am surrounded by family and friends, those that love and respect me... but sometimes you can even be alone in a herd, right?" She said softly, pausing as if regrouping like perhaps his question caught her off guard.

"You'll do fine, Vahn... more than fine. So... what else can I do to help you get settled? Anything?"
She asked, curious but not wanting to talk about herself any longer. Kavala smiled, waiting, wanting to make him comfortable and happy, and to feel welcome in his new home.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vahn Gremio on May 2nd, 2011, 3:32 pm

Vahn listened to her words, and felt her loneliness radiate from her body. She truly did feel alone here, amidst everyone? He had not felt alone in a herd, he had always been a part of something. He had felt left out a few times, but there had always been others within the herd to keep him company.

Almost as if it was simply reflex, Vahn hugged Kavala and smiled down at the konti woman. "Well, I hope that you do not feel loneliness in this herd from now on. I think it will take a while for me to become fully settled, but not much can be done about that now. I suppose I should simply rest for a while. it was, after all, a long journey for me to arrive here."

With a wink down at Kavala, he released her and bowed low to her. "It is an honor to become a member of Sanctuary, Miss Kavala. I'll do my best to serve you and protect this new herd."

((Sorry for short post, but I dont think we can drag this on for much more. XD))
Vahn Gremio
Plainstrider

Character sheet

PreviousNext