Closed From Miner to Miller

[Job] Quzon works at the Sawmill

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

From Miner to Miller

Postby Quzon on June 4th, 2020, 10:15 am

1st Day of Summer, 520 A.V.

The world was less of a anathema now than it had been not too long ago, when Quzon had no home of his own while searching around for some place to just... exist. He sat alone at the table in his bedroom thinking back to why he even left Taloba to begin with. He leaned back in his chair thinking about the places he had seen from the Night Tower in Riverfall to The Wind-Knotted Gates of Endrykas.

Those memories transitioned to the current view of his bedroom after a few blinks. He stood up from the table, leaving the banana he had been eating on the table as he stood up to explore his home while only dressed in a simple loincloth. "What are you doing?" He asked himself while looking towards the burning hearth in the corner.

With a gestured snap of his finger, the Reimancer created a splinter of res which he willed forth from the tip of his thumb. It was a feat Quzon was so proud of as a boy, but now it was a simple act. A minuscule amount of res willed into an egg of attractive-transmutation. A speck of flame from the hearth flew towards his res. His res turned into a 'firefly' that he now controlled.

A smirk pulled at his lip.

It was a feat he was still proud of as a man, but he now just stood there thinking about his life.

The spark. It was an old victory.

One of his oldest victories.

"What can you do today to be better than you were yesterday?" It was a question he asked himself aloud while controlling the spark of flame to orbit around his outstretched wrist. With his outstanding amount of free time, Quzon instantly knew what he needed to do next. "I need a job." Since his exploits in trying to mine iron ore for Syka were less than profitable, he had just lurked around the settlement surviving on his own personal savings of gold.

Quzon loved hard labor since it doubled as exercise, so the only job he could think of was to help at the Sykan Saw mill. It also helped that the Saw Mill was located closer to his home than the Syka Commons since home was so close to Sharktooth point. With a flick of his wrist, the Reimancer controlled the spark of flame into flying back into the hearth where he released control of the res.

In preparation for anything, Quzon put on his long sleeved shirt and pants made out of the water resistant Isuas. He was not sure the Sawmill would require him to cut down trees in the Maw, but it was better safe than sorry when the jungle was involved. It had become an instinct for him to put on the Antiquities Society Compass Rose Medallion before his shirt, put his bone ring on his finger, then tuck the ends of his pants into his boots. It was a sequence of actions which were starting to turn into a good habit as he grabbed his bottomless backpack and turned to leave his home.

Quzon was halfway out of the door when he remembered the banana he left on his table. The last thing he needed was to have insects buzzing around when he returned home, so he made sure to quickly eat it before tossing the peel into the hearth fire. He then exited his home to walk the cobbled pathway towards the Saw Mill.

As Quzon approached the Saw Mill, the natural sounds of the jungle battled against the thundering playfulness of the Ashta roaming the area. Out of all of the creatures lumbering around, Quzon stopped to watch one Ashta in particular as it swung an odd stick around that it held with its trunk.

Image“Not again. Drop it, that is not for playing with!”

Lars called out to the Ashta while fiddling with various mechanisms on the mill after having cut one side of a log. He pulled a lever causing the bed the log laid on to roll in revers back into a starting position to be cut, then pulled another lever to stop everything. The stern tone of the mans voice appeared to be all Lars needed to make the Ashta drop the 'stick'.

Lars gave Quzon a wave hello once he noticed him, though kept his attention on the Ashta. Quzon gave the human a nod in return, then attempted to approach him. “Hey, would you mind bringing that over here for me?” Lars asked while absently gesturing towards the tool on the ground. The Ashta dropped it midway between himself and the Mill, so Quzon picked it up along the way.

The Myrian had no clue what it was for, but it looked dangerous enough to kill with if he were to swing it like a club at someone. He ran a hand over the metal of the hook attached to one end of it. "What this?” He mused while while handing the tool over to Lars.

“That is cant hook. I use it to roll logs into position on the Mill’s carriage.” Quzon was still not really sure what the hook was for, both due to his poor grasp of the Common language, and his lack of knowledge on what the 'carriage' of a mill was. Lars seemed to read the confusion on his face, then patted a hand against the frame of the saw Mill he was currently working with.

"See this log right here? This thing its on is called the carriage. It rolls back and forth to bring the wood in contact with the saw blade. The hook bites into one side, then you pry the haft like a crowbar to rotate the log over."

Lars gave a halfhearted sigh, then used the hooked end to bite into the side of the log. “Lately, 'Miss Little' over there has been taking the hook and hiding it places. I spent half a bell looking for it last time. I eventually found it up in that tree over there...”

Both of the men looked off towards a distant tree for a short silent moment.

"Huh..." Quzon just grunted lowly, mostly using the sound to acknowledge just how strange that situation must have been for the Millwright.

"So what can I do for you today, Quzon? Or are you just passing through?"

The Half-Isur responded by pointing at the Saw Mill itself then back towards himself. "Want learn. Want work, you, for." Quzon's grasp of common waned when he forgot summon the willpower and effort to speak properly. That was something he noticed as soon as he was done speaking before trying again.

"I, want, to learn, and work for you."

Lars seemed to contemplate the question for hardly half a tick before reaching out to pat a hand down onto Quzon's shoulder.

"I'll take any help I can get. If you are willing to work, I am ready to teach."

WC: 1144
Last edited by Quzon on September 1st, 2020, 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Quzon
Victory & Power

Words: 271667
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2013, 11:30 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

From Miner to Miller

Postby Quzon on August 29th, 2020, 4:11 pm

After patting the pale Myrian on the shoulder, Lars turned back to grab at the handle of the cant hook. He was nearly about to begin press down on it before suddenly stopping to look at Quzon. “Wait… since you now know what this is, I’ll be having you rotate the logs for me from now on.”

Quzon grunted.

It was a grunt of acknowledgment as he removed his backpack to flop it aside, moving it out of the way before taking his place beside the loading carriage. The hooks handle was pointing up into the air as the hooked part of it acted like a jaw that bit into the side of the log. He reached out to press on the handle with one hand to test how much strength he would need to push the log over. It was an obvious test with an even more obvious outcome as the use of one hand failed to make the log so much as shift.

He grabbed the handle like that of a shovel in both hands, then pressed against it. The hook bit into the bark on the side of the log as the metal capped head of the tool pried against the smooth side of the wood that had been previously cut by Lars. He gritted his teeth, pressing hard to drive enough force into the tool until the metal cap turned into a fulcrum causing the log to begin rotating from the pressure.

Once the log turned onto it side, the smooth cut side of the log pointed towards the ceiling. Quzon found himself stuck in a position of holding the circular log in place to keep it from rolling.

Lars began to laugh as he pointed towards the metal protrusions attached to the carriage and then at the circular saw blade.

"If this were the first cut then you would need those dogs to keep it from rolling away from the saw blade. You need to work smarter, not harder, and let the tools do most of the work for you. However, you also need to think ahead to use your tools properly. If you had looked at what was in front of you, you would have noticed the flat side of the log was on its side. If you started by flipping the log onto the closer cut side, then it would have laid flat for the next cut.... but you did not do that so we will have to use the dogs to keep it upright.... and that is just added work."

Quzon took the words to heart as he realized Lars could have told him this sooner while he was watching him. He had already turned the log, so now he continued to follow through with the motion. He gripped the hook back into the bark, and continued to press the handle forward until the flat side of the log slammed down against the carriage frame.

"Smarter, not harder." He whispered to himself, though now confused what he would need 'dogs' for. It was true, if he had turned the log the opposite way then he would not have needed to spend all that effort into fully rotating the log.

“I’ve a lot of work to do today, so you are going to be doing most of the grunt work around here. In the process, I’ll be teaching you about each piece of machinery. It might seem like a lot, but I will require you to have a working understanding of engineering to maintain the equipment, animal handling to help get the Ashta to move logs and spin the water wheel when it is inoperable; although most of the time that job will go to me or Ines the Animal Handler hired to care for them, and carpentry to aid in fixing the water wheel that currently powers the saw blade.”

WC: 639
Quzon
Victory & Power

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

From Miner to Miller

Postby Quzon on August 29th, 2020, 11:54 pm

The apprentice mill operator and Lars were situated on either side of the mill’s carriage as Q circled around the left side of the machine to watch how it all worked. Lars went about his usual business preparing the log to be cut again along the right side of the equipment with his back to the large pile of sawdust.

Q watched as Lars began to adjust the two large metal protrusions attached to either end of the carriage, twisting valves that seemed to cause spiked metal dowels to stab against the uncut side of the log to stabilize it. His attention remained focused on the metal protrusions, now truly realizing that they were the ‘dogs’ Lars talked about moments ago. Before, he just thought it was some common tongue misunderstanding.

"What those called?" He asked again for clarification while trying to take mental notes on how Lars used the stabilizers.

"These are called dogs, because you want them to be stable and loyal in always fetching the sticks you throw." He flashed the Myrian a smirk after that joke. Quzon found it amusing, but not funny enough to laugh as he continued to examine the Mill. “Since you seem to be watching so intently, how do you think all of this works?” Lars asked while stepping around to join Quzon near the control levers for the saw blade.

From the looks of things, the Saw Mill appeared to be a jumbled mix of various leather belts attached to axle wheels, and pulleys. He was not quite sure how it worked, but he ran his eyes along one of the belts, following it from one axle to the other until his gaze eventually ended all the way on the distant waterwheel.

“It like wagon? Wheel spin, make thing move…” His eyes brows furrowed once he looked back towards the carriage bed the log laid on. “I, not know, how carriage move back, once move forward.”

Quzon’s thoughts in his native tongue of Myrian were far more articulate about the process, but his inner monologue reached the same confused outcome as his broken common. His lack lack of proficiency in the common tongue gave a very staccato ‘matter of fact’ tone to his voice. Lars had come to realize that it was simply just the way the pale man spoke, so he ignored just how harsh his tone could seem without the proper context.

That tone did make Lars chuckle before he moved to stand in front of the main set of control levers of the circular saw.

“While that was incredibly understated, you are at least not wrong about it.”

Quzon watched as his new employer pulled the smaller of various levers.

It caused the sounds of rapidly spinning leather belts to begin roaring through the saw mill.

“Power is transmitted here from the water wheel through a system of pulleys. As you can see, those belts are fixed to a steel mandrel attached to a pole; that metal object laced through those belts holding them taut. Once I pull this lever, it will cause a specific belt to spin which caused other belts to spin. One will cause the saw blade to spin at a rapid speed." He then pressed a second lever forward causing the entire carriage to begin to move forward. It began to slowly feeding the log into the circular saw blade causing the wood to scream as the toothy metal ripped into.

Quzon began to imagine what it would sound like if he threw an enemy onto it, grinning to himself at the prospect of using it like a weapon some day. He obviously kept those thoughts to himself while looking up towards a cloud forming in the background. The cloud was made from a plume of saw dust spraying out towards one side being replaced with a spray of imaginary blood as Lars called out loudly over the noise.

“There is a spool of cable under the carriage attached to more pulleys which cause it to move. It is truly a beautiful thing when all the moving parts work in harmony."

The saw blade did its job, separating another bark covered side of the log from the valuable lumber, leaving it on a slab convener belt. "I'm going to need you to push that rough slab forward off the belt into that pile with the others. All of that waste wood can be used for firewood or various smaller carpentry projects around the Mill. The saw blade is still spinning so be careful when you do so. If you have gloves then put them on to avoid splinters since most of your job at the start will be rotating logs, clearing the convener of waste wood, and stacking proper lumber after its been cut."

WC: 786 (2569)
Last edited by Quzon on September 6th, 2020, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quzon
Victory & Power

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

From Miner to Miller

Postby Ines on August 31st, 2020, 10:35 pm