Hope: The Greatest Evil (Nya and Abashai)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Nya Winters on May 23rd, 2011, 3:49 pm

She was so sure. Every sense had been telling her they were right there. She'd heard them first, then as she'd gotten closer she'd actually smelled them. But they'd actually vanished! Nya pounced one illusion, shattering the whole thing, and whirled around paws out claws extended swiping at nothing. A powerful forest cat in full attack mode was a frightening thing to an onlooker, but it was also ridiculous when she was simply screaming at shadows and swiping at things that didn't exist.

Nya came off her hind legs with a bounce, bunched them beneath her, and whirled again and again, her whole body filled with confusion. Things were either real or there was nothing there. There was no in-between in her world. She'd never once heard the word 'illusion' or had been tricked by anything more than her own reflection when she'd leaned over a calm pool of water to drink.

This... this was something more. This was dangerous. Nya swung around again, and leaped away taking huge strides to carry herself back to Abashai's side. She circled around him protectively, trying to look everywhere at once and scent even the sky itself.

"We need to leave. Fast. Things are not right here. Those men were not men, not real men anyhow. They were like souls that vanished the moment I touched them. Get on your horse, Shai. We need to ride south, hard, back the way we've come. I do not think this is the right place. I do not know why I have missed the right place, but this place is not right. Not good." She said, her voice hard and certain inside his head.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Abashai on May 24th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Once again, Nya bounded off, driven by her primal instincts to pursue and eliminate any threat. Abashai scowled at Rencil's sarcasm before lunging forward himself after Nya. "Hik." He swore under his breath as Rencil disappeared, scooping up the figurine of the monkey-thing before racing off into the forest after the Talderian cat. The benshiran reached into Nya's mind, berating her for leaving him behind again. Of all the things Nya Winters was, Stormwarden, Reimancer, Wife, Warrior...in the end she was at her core still a kelvic, bound to protect her bondmate at any cost. No matter how much her human mate drilled into her that they were mutually important, that he was equally bound by the quest they followed to protect her from harm so she could complete Zulrav's task, Nya could not resist her instincts.

So Abashai tore through the woods underbrush striving to catch the forest cat. He knew he could not. Nya was designed to traverse a world of trees, standing and fallen, Abashai was raised trudging through dust and sand and scaling rock outcroppings. The past year he had bettered himself in following Nya through the woods, but he could never match her ability to bound effortlessly through the obstacles. Shai concentrated on moving as quick a possible over fallen logs and across streams instead of tapping into Nya's faculties to perceive what she was facing. When he finally spotted her in the distance, he found his mate circling and turning in confusion, the strong emotion of vexation emanating from her. The kelvic sped back to his side, her heightened anxiety still thick as she circled him, her senses trained on the woodlands around them.

"Ghosts? Magic?" Shai posed rhetorically. Regardless of what Nya saw, his wife's urgent tone was all he needed to hear. The khopesh still gripped in his fist, he grabbed the scruff of Nya's thick neck with the other and leapt onto her back. He leaned over, wrapping his free arm around her and clamped his legs around her chest. Nya was accustomed to carrying her bondmate though he rarely rode her bare back, they had trained that way before she gave Shai the saddle designed especially for her. "Go, get us back to the horses."
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gillar on May 26th, 2011, 9:54 am

"...back to the horses." Almaras heard someone say as they closed in on the spot where Samas had laid one of the group's many traps. Raising a hand for an immediate halt, Almaras knew their prey was just a short few yards away. He sniffed the air again and gave an affirmative nod to the others who now stood next to him. Samas, Tegim and Vers all had their weapons at the ready; Tegim a longsword, Vers a battle-axe and Samas a gauntlet sporting a blade running from his forearm and extending out from his thumb. Almaras looked to his men before turning in the direction of Nya and Abashai and stepping through the trees to exit into the clearing where the couple prepared to head back to their horses.

His voice was very deep yet smooth when Almaras addressed Nya and Abashai, "The two of you seem a bit lost and more than a little disturbed. Perhaps I can lead you to the nearest town?" Almaras was not an overly tall man, a bit shorter than six feet in height. Though heavily muscled, he was more definition than bulk with a thick mane of coal black hair cascading over his shoulders. Odd for the region, his skin was the deepest of brown; his eyes so brown they were almost black. He carried no weapons and wore only the lightest of leather armor; armor that didn't look like it could stop a pebble thrown at it, much less anything more substantial. To Nya, he smelled no different than the forest. In fact, he smelled too much like the forest; as if he had been trying to mask his scent.

Meanwhile, two of Almaras' men were busy fanning out around the clearing; keeping as far into the trees as possible while still being less than a stride or two away in case they were needed. Vers was busy tracking the way back to Nya and Abashai's campsite using their speedy journey to the clearing as a trail. The three of them also gave off no scent other than that of the forest while moving as if they were a part of the forest themselves.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Nya Winters on June 8th, 2011, 5:51 pm

Nya hesitated while Abashai mounted up. She swiveled her head as the man stepped out of the trees. After just attacking an illusion, she wasn't about to fall for a second one. Once Abashai's legs closed on her ribs Nya lunged forward, her kelvic form confident in the woods where a horse would struggle. She didn't stop for the man, not at all, but rather just turned her head and snarled in his direction trying to get her bondmate out of the area and make a correction to her mistake - a mistake that had taken them too close to Ravok, if the monkey was to be believed.

Nya minded the woods around her. She paid attention to keeping Shai's weight balanced just behind her shoulders and lashed with her tail to keep her balance as she twisted and turned, navigating the trees and fallen debris, trying to get away from the illusions and tricks that marked how dangerous these woods were.

"Was he real? Or was he just an image like the last? I cannot tell, Abashai and it makes me unsettled."
She added, snarling even though she spoke into his head. Nya needed real enemies to fight, real people to deal with. The illusions had disturbed her on a very deep level. As she ran, knowing when to pick a battle and when not too, she called with her mind as well, summoning any breezes or winds that might be in the woods. The Stormwarded needed quick scouts, ones with more reliable senses than her own.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abashai on June 8th, 2011, 6:30 pm

The benshiran shared Nya's sense of urgency, feeling the kelvic's uneasiness on top of his own. The story of the vanishing men that Nya told him was disturbing, it was not easy to fool the sensed of a forest cat. Abashai felt in his gut that they had gone too far, though he had no sense of what bounds they may have crossed. All he knew was that he agreed with his bondmate, they needed to go, and fast.

The men appeared out of the trees, startling the human. Nya should have smelled them. Something is wrong here, wrong with them. Shai heard the first few words the man spoke, but the rest were lost as the kelvic lunged forward, carrying them away. Abashai glanced back, marking the man, his appearance, his posture. He wanted to be able to remember him, should they meet again.

Nya had given her bondmate a custom-made saddle, designed for him to use to ride her cat form. But before they had it, Nya often carried Abashai bare back through their territory in the Bronze Woods. He learned where to wrap his legs around her without restricting her breathing, where he could clutch the nape of her skin for a good hold, and how to lean forward and help her keep balanced as they ran. Now, with the life-bond they shared, he could anticipate her actions, when she would leap, turn, duck and juke. Shai would lean and move to aid in her movements as they sped through the obstacle-strewn forest.

"I don't know, he seemed real enough to me, and he spoke with a human voice."
Abashai replied in Nya's mind. "I do not like this, if they were able to fool you, then they are dangerous. If we meet them again, use deadly force Nya. We are in a dangerous place, I will not take the risk to find out if they have good intentions. Chances are they do not."
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gillar on July 12th, 2011, 10:09 am

[/indent]Almaras snorted at the reaction he got from Nya and Abashai. He hadn't expected them not to flee yet he somewhat hoped for an easier conclusion to the hunt. He was tired; the journey long and having taken him far from his home. His mission for the Ebonlord had taken him far from his Master. The promised rewards for success were too much to pass up otherwise he would have found a way to get out of it. All he wished was to complete the hunt and return to his Master. Though he had to admit, the hunt itself was quite enjoyable. It was at that moment, following his longing to return home, that he allowed the feelings caused by the hunt to return to him. Grinning widely, he exploded into a run on his way to where his prey were headed; sniffing the air and turning his head ever so slightly as to better catch the sounds of fleeing.

Vers already approached Nya and Abashai's camp when he cocked his head to the side; his ears catching sound of something approaching quickly.

-------------------------------------------------------

A soft breeze picked up rather suddenly around Abashai and Nya. For Nya, it was more than a breeze. It carried a feeling of extreme warning; the mood of the surrounding area was very disconcerting with Nya left feeling like there were multiple sources of these feelings coming from all around her. They were following her; stalking with dark intent.

Samas and Tegim saw Almaras take off toward the targets. In unison, they followed; their movements sounding like little more than the rustling of leaves in a soft breeze. Though not as fast as Almaras, they kept a decent pace behind him.

Nya and Abashai arrived at their camp to find a man standing before them. He held a battle axe at his side; though baring his weapon in a non-threatening way, he carried it in a way that said, If I need it, you will feel it.

Before any other action could be taken, both Nya and Abashai heard a voice behind them. It was the same voice as before coming from the same dark-skinned man they had seen just a few moments earlier.

"Now that wasn't very nice. I simple wished to help guide you to a place safer than out here in the wilds. But, I guess you don't want to play nice. Myself, I like it rough." Two other men stepped from the forest to flank the dark-skinned man who himself grinned widely; long, sharpened canines quickly lengthening. In fact, the man's entire body shifted almost instantly though Nya especially witnessed an all to familiar sight almost in slow motion. The man's dark hair exploded in a heavy, wild mane of the deepest black. His fell to all fours, his body ripping through his light clothing as it took on much greater mass. Hands and feet became massive paws baring claws several inches in length. Already powerful arms and legs morphed into four heavily muscled legs. Where there once stood a man now stood a lion the color of night. He was half again as large as Nya in cat form as he bellowed out a challenging roar that could be felt in the ground they all stood upon.

The man with the axe was the next to speak; his words directed to Nya and Abashai. "I would suggest you both stand down and let this all play out as peacefully as possible. We have been looking for you for quite some time. Your names, Nya and Abashai, are they not? Your presence is requested by a few rather unique and interesting individuals of unimaginable power and influence. We have been tasked to bring you to them. Either with your cooperation or otherwise. While our furry companion there would prefer the otherwise part of that, we are all quite tired and just want to go home." Vers remained in his non-threatening pose; Almaras was accomplishing the threatening part just fine.

Vers continued, "I assure you both, you are in no position to offer much resistance. While we would prefer not to risk injury to ourselves or either of you, we will complete our task. We will answer any questions you may have, within reason of course, but know that what is to happen will happen no matter what is done to the contrary." The lion, obviously a Kelvic, though unlike any Kelvic Abashai or Nya had ever seen, growled to emphasize the speaking man's point. The beast was the embodiment of perfection; almost unnaturally so. Though baring a number of battle scars, his form was untouched by weakness. His posture was almost noble as if he were accustomed to the presence of greatness.

"So, what say you? Do we all get to chill out a bit and take a few moments to relax, get to know each other and come to some sort of understanding? Or do we place bets on which side wins? While I enjoy winning a gamble, I'd prefer doing so with a few drinks on the side instead of a few broken bones." Vers said with a serious look on his face, his hands gripping the handle of his axe with conflict ready at his finger tips.[/indent]
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Abashai on July 18th, 2011, 3:26 pm

Abashai clung to Nya's body as the kelvic bounded through the forest undergrowth towards camp. He glanced back, and around, hoping to catch sight of the strangers. He had thought he saw a form moving through the trees in a path parallel to theirs, but the speed and undulation of their movement made confirming the sight difficult. The sudden appearance of the men, their obvious use of deception by magic and the unexpected appearance of Rencil set Abashai's nerves on end. Those who used enchantments were not to be trusted, and the magical monkey-thing only seemed to show up when danger was near.

Shai felt the urgency of their flight quicken a breeze wrapped around them, and he detected the ominous sentiment that Nya suddenly felt. His hand reached for the hilt of the khopesh and he slid it from the harness. Though, without Nya's saddle, fighting from her back would be impossible, she had dumped him enough times mid-stride for the banshiran to learn to dismount without landing in a tangled heap. "They are still pursuing us." He warned Nya. The man felt the excitement and anxiousness in his body that paved the way for the power of Yahal's ennervism to be released. Shai called upon the force of his lord's gnosis, feeling the mystical strength surge into his limbs and the boldness of his faith bolstering his will.

The bondmates cleared the woods into the opening where they had made camp. As they barreled into the clearing, both saw the axe-bearing human. Abashai felt Nya's urge to continue her momentum, charging right into the man. For a split second, the benshiran concurred, ready to slam into the man and take him down. But other voices were heard, other men appeared. None of them assumed a posture of attack, though certainly were alert and readied for a confrontation. "Wait!" Shai called to his mate within her mind. Nya skidded and wheeled around to face the dark man that came up behind them. At the same time, Abashai slide from her back, weapon in hand, facing the speaker.

Abashai put no confidence in the dark man's words, their intent meaningless as his body began to shift. The desert man had seen kelvics shift, had watched Nya do it almost daily since they met. But this transformation was different. Absent were the myriad pinpoints of light. Instead, the change could be seen in its gruesome detail, until a massive beast stood before them. Abashai's powered hand gripped his khopesh tighter, causing the leather of the hilt to creak. The black lion was larger than Nya, larger than about any creature he had seen, and darkly magnificent.

A stream of Shiber curses flowed from his mind to Nya's. The balance of the encounter had changed. Four men would have been a challenge, but the pair had taken down armed men before, even when outnumbered. But the massive lion, well, he alone would have tested Shai and Nya to their fighting limits. Grimacing, he spun around when the axeman spoke, his entire being pounding inside him with anger and indignation. They new their names. But who would know them, who would want them? Possibilities tumbled through his mind. Their enemies, the Vulture Man, the Ebonstryfe? Was this to do with the Power Cube? His gaze darted to Nya. ""We cannot risk attacking them, though I want very much to kill them. That thing, I fear even you could not stand against it. But we may have an opportunity, if we bide our time." He needed a moment, a plan. There was not immediate danger, the intruders were instructed to deliver the man and kelvic, not kill them. Questions would buy him time, and help determine where this may lead down the road.

His voice gruff, short and laced with disgust, Abashai raised his voice. "Who wants us, and where do you intend to take us." He seethed, his Common thickly accented. His blade was not lowered, and his eyes darted from one opponent to the next. Shei could lunge at the axeman and probably deal a blow, but the giant lion would be on Nya in an instant. He chafed at the limited options, or virtual lack of them. "Answer me!"
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nya Winters on September 9th, 2011, 6:13 pm

The breeze's warning still echoed in her head. Nya knew Abashai had heard it as well. Danger. Danger. Danger. She carried her bondmate and husband as fast as she could, minding where she planted her feet and obeying his will to stop, whirl, and pause. Nya was scared, scared to the core, which was a new sensation for the forest cat. Creatures at the top of the food chain rarely worried about anything. They had a natural arrogance that tended to propel them into their positions and keep them at the peak of their strength.

When Shai urged Nya to wheeled to face the new presence, then paused, she could have cried out when Shai slid from her back. Her bondmate should have trusted her to keep them safe. With him mounted, they could flee, something he'd never be able to do on foot without her. Nya and Shai had tangled with these type of men before - lone men in the woods overconfident meant many things and none of them good - and had barely gotten away with their lives. Another confrontation was not something she wanted.

When the kelvic revealed himself, Nya flattened her ears and hissed, tail lashing close to the ground. She didn't challenge the big cat though. Abashai's bondmate knew when something was bigger, stronger, and could hurt her and more importantly her bondmate. Nya snaked backwards, not forming up ranks with Abashai but getting between him and the big cat protectively. She kept her head low to the ground and hissed, though Shai could feel her awareness through the bond and knew ... just knew... the big lion was dominant over his bondmate due to his size and confidence. The roar had set off instincts in Nya that caused the enormous forest cat to back up and crowd Shai's space, giving the lion room. It wasn't easy for Nya. She was used to being dominant. But this cat was not even anywhere close to her league and she knew it. Reading his body language and appearance, Nya wondered if someone had done something unnatural to him for she'd never seen anything like his coloring or personality.

Moss green eyes turned and looked at her bondmate. Risk verses reward floated through her mind. The cat was swiftly calculating odds of survival and coming up short. She whirled again, circling Abashai, keeping him close, guarding him like a Queen would guard a kitten.

"Yes. They'll kill you Shai... without a thought. Already I can see the lion wanting my throat in his teeth, my submission..... stand, Shai. Don't try to fight them... not yet." She asked, no pleaded, her eyes looking everywhere at once. Nya moved once more, twisting around Shai again, dragging her scent across his body by running her jawline across his shoulders and telling the big lion this man was hers. She then laid down, flat on her stomach, between Shai and the other kelvic, offering no fight for the time being. She knew what they would do. It had happened before. Collars, drugss, Shai threatened even killed. She wondered which of the pair they wanted, but could ask no questions in cat form. Slowly she shifted, taking back her human shape.

"Who are you?"
She asked quietly, still stretched out on the forest floor. She sat up, moved backwards, until her bare back bumped Abashai's booted leg. She needed his touch, his reassurance, because she knew things were bad.. very bad and that they could go to worse in an instant.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gillar on September 10th, 2011, 7:46 am

The man with the axe nodded and smiled contently at the reaction received from Nya and Abashai. While he expected much more; something more antagonistic and violent, he was more than pleased at the lack of such. "Ah, much better." The rest of the unit seemed to relax if only a bit as Vers noted the questions posed. As for Almaras, the lion sat back on his haunches, his dark eyes glaring down at Nya and Abashai; watching their every move as if anticipating some act of defiance.

Vers, his axe still at his side; ready for action if necessary, spoke matter-of-factly, "Some time ago, you both attracted some attention. You displayed, how do I put it, potential. That is why we're here." Images of the past; a priest, soldiers and magic flickered in the minds of Abashai and Nya. The men closed their circle around the two as the man with the axe continued.

"We're soldiers of Ravok, protectors of the people and servants of Lord Rhysol. You're presence is requested by our Lord and we're here to escort you to Ravok. From there, the potential within you will be released. Choice is not an issue here since, whether your realize it or not, you're lives were spared by Rhysol and such, you are called on to repay the favor."

The lion, Almaras, looked then to another one of the men, Samas. The man nodded and held out his hand as if blowing a kiss. Doing so caused a string of multicolored light to flow forth and encompass Nya and Abashai in a cloud of chromatic illumination. Instantly, their senses were consumed by a euphoric taste of hypnotic feelings. Top was bottom, left was right and inside was out. The last thing they both heard before they lost complete control of reality was one of the men asking another, "That went better than I though." The response given, "It's far from over. Now let's get them home."

Watching it all were a pair of human-like eyes belonging to a rather unique monkey-like creature. He knew what was to happen and knew also that it was all a part of a plan. It wasn't his plan nor was it the plan of the Defiler. No, it was a plan that reached far beyond any entity directly involved. For Rencil, he would wait and pick up the pieces when it was all over. That is what he did; it's what he always did.

For Nya and Abashai, they had little chance to respond as darkness consumed them. Wherever they awoke next, it was as alien as anything they had experienced thus far. Unknown to them however was that the darkness would have been preferable.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Verilian on December 18th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Thread Award

Nya Winters

• +1 Swimming
  • +1 Seduction
  • +1 Intimidation
  • +2 Running

Lores: Natures Call to Mate, Fooled by an Illusion, Knowing when to Submit

Abashai

Lores: The Feeling of Being Watched, Sharing Nya's Urges, Ambushed in the Woods

You Question My Logic? :
Okay, so really, there wasn't a whole lot I could award here. Abashai, I see that you have the riding skill already. I'm not certain if they are supposed to be separated between different types of mounts or not.. so I'll just leave that up to you. Everything else is pretty self explanatory, I think, but if you have any questions or feel that I missed anything feel free to PM me.

Notes: While I usually don't grade other mods threads, Abashai requested it so I did it. Gillar, feel free to add anything if you like. That was a great thread, guys. I wish I had read it before I read your more recent one, but oh well. It was still a fun read. Great work, and keep writing!
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous