The Lady and the Thief (Drayton)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Nin on May 8th, 2011, 1:01 am

60th day of Spring, 511 A.V.

The streets of Sunberth sweltered repulsively. The toiling of merchants, homes, and stores sent oily billows and a haze of smells surging into the heavy mid-afternoon air. Near the southern docks the earthly stench of fish swept into the port harbor. Nin was quick to learn the dangers of trying to move around underfoot of the heaving crowd of sailors, beggars, and traders. The small Pycon opted for balancing along one of the thick wooden railings of the pier. A tarp hung overhead, offering temporary shade to the workers beneath it and brief respite from the searing sun. Beneath the railing she stood upon was the gray sea. The old pier rocked with each crashing wave that rolled against the base of the docks.

People exited the docked ships and moved in a constant stream along the planks of the pier. The laborers among them carried bulky cargo. Most of the passengers carried what little belongings they had on their backs. The women wore weary expressions and most of the men sported scruffy beards that had not been trimmed while at sea. The people coming to Sunberth were certainly of a gruff stock.

Nin, on the other hand, fancied herself the perfect lady. She had no skin to collect sweat, no hair to be tussled, no gown to be soiled and ripped. There were times when Nin pined to possess the beauty of a human woman; but watching the poor women and children shuffle by her, still sick from sea and its elements, she was glad that she was just smooth clay mingled with the strains of some ancient magic.

The Pycon may have been stuck in this filthy city just like the rest of them, but that did not mean she could not carry herself with a sense of composure and grace. She sat along the railing, ornate flute slung idly over her shoulder, and wore a petulant scowl as she watched the unruly lot stroll by her. Before being expelled from the home of her benefactors in Syliras, the Pycon was accustomed to a life of relative luxury and decency. She could only live off the rugged terrain of the wilds outside the city for so long before craving the company of humans whom she had become so used to. Syliras had too many memories. She escaped to Sunberth.

Despite it being late Spring, a prolonged heat wave had settled upon the city. The relentless heat seemed to drain people of much of their mental faculties as they moved about unfocused, shuffling to and from their locations without much care for those around them. Not many people took notice of the small clay figurine. After all, Nin was only eight inches tall and quite talented at being inconspicuous. One child, a scrappy looking boy who clung with dirty hands to his mother’s apron, offered her a wide-eyed glance but was quickly pulled along back into the bustling crowds before he could say anything.

Larger folk often took the ease of mobility for granted. Nin relied upon hitching rides--upon the carts or shoulders--of unwitting people to move about long distances. She had spent the past few nights sleeping aboard one of the many docked ships that rested in the harbor before leaving at morn. However, the stench of fish had become too much for her delicate sense of smell, and Nin was ready to move farther into the city. So she waited patiently along the pier for someone who could take her.
Nin
Player

Words: 7293
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 6:54 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet

Postby Drayton on May 8th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Walking against the flow of people and goods was difficult. The heads of weary travelers hung low, more aware of the wooden planks that passed beneath their shuffling feet than the bodies before them. Shoulders, sacks and even small children were dragged into Eleanor as they were pulled by the steady tide of people entering the city. The jostling and press of bodies was too much in this heat and the teen extricated herself from the masses.

There was a tarp hanging over the railing of the pier. Eleanor shuffled around the workers benefiting from its shade and seated herself on the railing, face to the sea. This is unbearable, she thought, swinging her legs over the water that foamed around the wooden columns beneath her, It hasn’t cooled off since I met that Kelvic… She wiped a shining layer of sweat from her forehead with a dirty sleeve. Eleanor had come to the docks in the hopes that the wind floating onto shore from the waves might be a bit cooler than the stagnant air that hung about her ramshackle home. Unfortunately the breezes that were blowing over the pier today were heavy with water that felt confining in the heat of the sun. Not to mention they reeked worse than the rest of Sunberth.

The smell of fish that had grown too warm in the sun wormed its way up her nose. Eleanor huffed, as if the violent thrust of her own air might dislodge the unsavory scents that were invading her. She drummed her fingers impatiently against the soft, waterlogged wood of the railing. The edges of the nails were uneven and black, stuffed with dirt that had collected in the extended time between baths. Why did I bother? It’s just as disgusting here and boring too…

Eleanor began glancing around the pier for a source of entertainment, or personal gain. Tired traveler, tired traveler, smelly worker, smelly worker, rotten fish… Her options seemed limited. ‘nother tired traveler, little statue standing on a railing, smelly worker… Wait, little statue standing on the railing! She was forced to look again.

Sharing her perch was a clay statue in the shape of a girl. It was grey, with warmer colors blended into the fine sediment and a scowl sculpted on the young-looking face. And it was moving! Eleanor leaned toward the figurine, her gloved hands gripping the swollen wood beam for balance. Mobile eyebrows lifted high with curiosity the girl brought her face nearer to the thing. “Hey,” she said in a voice that was uncharacteristically soft, and perhaps a little uncertain, “What are you?”
There's nothing wrong with teenagers that reasoning with them won't aggravate.
-Unknown

Common, Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Drayton
You know what you did.

Words: 73710
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2011, 5:37 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nin on May 9th, 2011, 10:27 pm

A charitable breeze came off the sea and blew along the length of the docks, catching the edges of the tarp and whipping them about. Nin closed her eyes, trying to enjoy the brief burst of air, but it was just as hot as the rest of the surrounding stagnant air.

”Hey. What are you?”

The Pycon’s eyes snapped open and she turned her attention to the voice that had just addressed her. Standing next to her was a human girl dressed in tattered oversized clothes. She was leaning against the wooden railing, gloved hand clasped tightly right next to where Nin was standing. Nin’s cast the girl a critical gaze, scrutinizing her up and down before she crossed her arms.

“What am I? What am I!” She threw her small hands in the air before clasping them over her chest. Nin looked morally affronted by the very question. “I am Nin, the rightful betrothed unto the honorable de Greene family’s only heir.” She asserted with indignant authority. She grabbed the miniature flute from behind her back and held it up for the girl to see a tiny engraved emblem, the de Greene family crest. It was a wreath of ivy entwined with two crossed rapiers. “See?” Nin said smugly as if that proved everything.

My, I once had servants cleaner than her! She thought warily as she examined the girl’s dirty clothes and sweat-streaked skin. A street urchin at her finest… most likely bred from the unseemly slums of Sunberth. There was a time when Nin would never have mingled with roaming street children, but more and more they seemed to be the only ones she could rely upon for transportation. So far this girl was the only person who had paid her any attention, and Nin needed to get away from this harbor.

A few moments expired before the clay figurine sighed loudly. The girl was probably entirely confused. “I’m a Pycon, don’t you know?” She told her emphatically. She twirled on one foot and then extended her hands and gestured to the length of her miniscule body, “Made of clay… and other stuff.”

She crossed her arms and looked squarely at the human. What was good for the goose was good for the gander.

“And what are you?”

Nin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Drayton on May 12th, 2011, 6:56 pm

The Pycon was incredibly loud for something so small. Eleanor withdrew her face a couple inches in shock as the small figurine proudly waved a flute in front of her nose. It was remarkably small, and despite crossing her eyes with the effort the girl wasn’t able to see the small insignia before the Pycon replaced the instrument. Nonetheless, Eleanor nodded with an expression she hoped looked properly impressed. It wasn’t difficult; she was more stunned by the tiny woman speaking to her than any crest of some ritzy family she’d never herd of could have made her.

Pycon… The word sounded familiar, as though Eleanor had heard it in a bedtime story. After all, bedtime stories were the only place you ever heard of talking, walking statues, right? Watching Nin twirl before her Eleanor had to fight the urge to poke the detailed body. Her dress didn’t flow around her as she spun, and the fabric resisted the gentle pull of the sea breeze that ruffled Eleanor’s own oversized shirt. How does she move? I wonder if she’s squishy, like normal clay…

But Eleanor didn’t have time to ponder the existence of the Pycon anymore. Nin had asked her a question and was standing in a way that made Eleanor feel like she’d do best to answer promptly.

Not one to be outdone Eleanor gave the small woman a mock bow, with as many ridiculous flourishes as she could manage from her hunched stance. “Eleanor Drayton of Sunberth. Betrothed and beholden to none, the future heroine of Sylira. A pleasure to make your acquaintance Miss.”

She thinks rather highly of herself. If she’d tied to such a wealthy family what’s someone as small as she is doing standing alone on a pier? The young woman grinned mischievously at the Pycon before her, her freckles rising over her high cheekbones as her eyes squinted with the smile and the sunlight that bounced off of the waves below. Sounds rather entitled, which is irritating, but more interesting than throwing things at the rats back home…
-Unknown

Common, Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nin on May 14th, 2011, 1:03 am

Nin watched as the girl introduced herself with a mock bow and a dramatic flourish. “Eleanor Drayton.” The Pycon repeated, allowing the name to become familiar. Her sculpted features scrunched up briefly as her thoughts meandered, “El… Ellie… ‘Leanor… Lennie… oh, well…Eleanor shall do.” She finally decided (as if it was hers to decide) and nodded approvingly. It was a darling name, after all.

“Heroine of Sylira?” Nin looked bemused before adding conversationally, “That title certainly inspires images of grandeur that don’t…” She offered a minimalist wave of her hand towards Eleanor’s oversized clothing, “…quite live up to expectations.” The Pycon did not quite catch the irony that there was also a huge disparity between her own improperly bolstered title and what she actually was. She was banished—a far cry from being betrothed.

The girl introduced as Eleanor Drayton offered a mischievous grin. Nin brushed imaginary soot off her motionless skirt. Certainly an odd sight to behold. Finally, she added, “Well, I suppose it’s nice to meet you too.”

A particularly energetic wave pounded against the pillars supporting the pier. The old wood moaned and lurched with the movement of the foamy ocean. The sudden movement sent the clay girl skittishly tottering against the edge before she caught her balance. “Whew.” She sighed and glanced at Eleanor.

“Help me down from here, will you? You say you’re from this place.” That was apparent. “You shall take me to the center of Castle Commons?”

Nin’s voice inflected upwards, but she had an odd way of turning questions into directives. For the first time a flash of excitement crossed her face, “You know…” She lowered her voice, “I hear a lot of the people who walk by me day after day without seeing me. Sailors, traders, slavers, what have you. I catch the bits and pieces of conversation, secrets, the things people say when they think no one is listening.. And I hear in the center of Sunberth there is an old relic of a Temple. Haunted some say. Pre-Valterrian others say. You’ve heard of it?”

OOC :
The Temple Nin is referring to is The Temple of the Unknown.
Nin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Drayton on May 15th, 2011, 12:08 am

Eleanor straightened herself, sitting with her back tall. The young girl was straddling the railing now, using one hand to stabilize herself as the pier swayed with the crashing waves. The free hand was pressed indignantly against her chest as she looked down at the Pycon. “Well, I did say future heroine, didn’t I? Not exactly like you’re living it up either, standing on a Sunberth pier bumming rides off of smelly teenagers.”

She chuckled and swung her leg high over the railing, jumping down onto the pier. Eleanor held out a hand in front of the Pycon. “Speaking of bumming rides, please is a useful word if you want to get anywhere,” she said, though her gloved hand remained out for Nin to climb onto. The glove itself was black, fingerless and padded, but in the bright sunlight it was possible to see the stains of various fluids beneath all but the thickest patches of dirt. The visible parts of her fingers had veins of dirt running through the natural dips and wrinkles of her skin, and her untrimmed nails were black at the tips.

The casual smile on Eleanor’s face faded into surprise when the Pycon mentioned the Temple of the Unknown. “Yeah, I know the place. It’s pretty impressive, and there’s certainly something different about it. You feel it in the air when you walk in, like… You can’t disturb anything or the Temple itself will wake up. Still, most people say the Spirit’s just an old wives’ tale. Why, you interested in checking it out?” She had to admit, the idea was exciting.

Eleanor had been in the Temple herself a couple times. There had been moments when she sat on the dusty floor beneath a sunbeam just to soak in the serenity of the tired, old building. In fact, she quite liked to go there when it seemed impossible to think anywhere else, at least, during the daytime. Demri was awful spooked when he spent the night there on that dare. Didn’t say anything happen but still… Spooked.
-Unknown

Common, Thought

Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nin on May 17th, 2011, 2:32 am

Nin was somewhat caught off guard when the human girl chided her for her lack of manners. In response she gave a belabored curtsy and drawled, “Pleeease.” From what Nin could tell, Eleanor was a good sport. She seemed more amused than offended by the Pycon’s antics.

Nin eyed Eleanor’s extended hand cautiously. The fabric of the glove was rugged from wear, the dark fabric sullied with dirt and other substances. Being so close to humans made her acutely aware of all their physical nuances and flaws. Pliable skin that could be broken, scarred, and dirtied—shaped so easily by the harsh world. Knuckles showed deep wrinkles and palms revealed hardy calluses. Nin found it all very foreign and infinitely fascinating.

She was thrilled by the idea that there was an ancient temple in their midst. The clay girl harbored a fanciful imagination that had been fostered by devouring books in her old family’s library. She was well-read—much more so than others in her current position—but had yet to see the world for herself. To be tossed so haphazardly into life and all its dangers was a blessing and a curse for the tiny statuette. She listened intently as Eleanor told her what she knew about the Temple. She tapped a finger against her chin as she listened.

“Yes I am interested in seeing it! I hope you can take me.” Nin was now bobbing with excitement, balancing on her toes as she rocked back and forth. “Take me and maybe I can help you later. Any bold burglaries planned? I am good at sneaking, swiping, slipping, sliding, and squeezing into all those teensy-teeny weensy places. Because as you can see…” Nin gestured to herself with an extravagant swirl of her arm, “I am a little lilliputian myself.”

Daintily, the clay figurine leapt onto Eleanor’s outstretched hand, landing solidly in the center of the glove. That wasn’t so bad. She looked up at the human, “Shall we go?” She waited expectantly for Eleanor to take her before continuing, “So future heroine of Sylira…” She made sure to place emphasis where emphasis was due, but she was grinning. “Where else have you been in Sylira?”
Nin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Drayton on May 17th, 2011, 4:42 am

“Of course I can take you; it’s the easiest building to find in the city!” Eleanor smiled as she watched the clay figure tip herself gracefully back and forth on the railing. “I’d be happy for your help, next time I’m doing a job I’ll let you know. Though, Nin, don’t be offended or anything but a tiny Pycon and the fiancé to a noble, that’s not what I think of when I think of an adventurer.” She cast a curious look down at the statuette that had sprung into her palm.

“Erm… Where do I put you…” she wondered aloud, lifting Nin first to a dark, rather dank looking pocket before settling on the shoulder. It was now a simple matter of working their way out of the docks, an easy task now that they were moving with the flow of traffic. Eleanor pushed her way behind a man bent double over an old wooden cart, with several children scurrying around his legs. The cart itself was piled high with what appeared to be the family’s worldly goods: blankets and baskets, even a bassinet.

Following his sweaty, hunched back as he parted the crowds before them the pair was able to leave the dock easily. “I’ve never actually left Sunberth,” Eleanor answered shrugging her shoulders, forgetting that a small person was perched on one. “I plan to though, soon. I just got to save up enough money first...”

She fell silent for a moment and plucked at a loose thread on her vest. The long black string slipped free and twisted itself around her wrist, clinging no matter how she shook her hand. Soon, I’ll be out of here soon and I’ll see the world and make a name. “What about you?” Eleanor asked, her voice bright with curiosity, “Where is it that your lovely Mister de Greene makes his home?”
-Unknown

Common, Thought

Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Archelon on August 25th, 2011, 8:55 am

Thread Award

“Nice to meet you guys too"

And the Results!!!!:

Nin :
SkillName 1-5 How/why
Socialization2
Organization 1 remembering information from eavesdropping,and recalling it

Lores:

Rumors of the Temple of the Unknown(poor)
Eavesdropping is fun for the tiny maiden

Drayton :
SkillName 1-5 How/why
Socialization3
Observation1 Recognizing something normally out of place- tiny statue people perched on railings :)

Lores:
Knowledge of Pycons (poor)
Rumors of the Temple of the Unknown(poor)

[spoiler=Would you like some extra turtle sauce ?]Wasn't much here to work with, but I did what I can. Don't be afraid to post a few more posts to end a thread properly, or if she comes back finish this one for re-grading :)
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)