[Brainstorming] Mura City Description

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

[Brainstorming] Mura City Description

Postby Alice on January 1st, 2010, 6:30 pm

This is a very VERY rough draft as well as an invitation for you to comment and state anything you'd like to see here. So, it's really your chance to incorporate your own imaginations and ideas into Mura.

It'd be also very helpful for me, since I haven't had any particular ideas - apart from the architecture.

Since Mura is known as a city that is both built on ground and under water, this concept has to be incorporated one way or another. I was thinking about something along the lines of Venice, although I'm still not sure about the underwater part.

So it'd be very nice of you to post everything that comes to your mind! It doesn't matter whether you're completely new, a vet or even a storyteller, everyone's thoughts are appreciated (if they are voiced in a polite and constructive way, of course).

Again, the article will be formatted appropriately when everything else is done.

Mura

General Information

Climate
  • Mediterranean to tropical
  • Hot summers, mild falls, cool winters
  • Much sunlight, but also much rainfall and constant danger of cyclones and sea quakes
Trade
  • Import many goods that can’t be gathered through agriculture such as metal, stone
  • Export Vision Water
  • High profit from tourists coming to Mura to relax and cure illnesses
Art

Architecture
  • City is both made of streets, buildings as well as waterways and underwater rooms that are connected with Silver Lake
  • There are two architecture styles: traditional house types with four corners and luxuriously and creatively decorated ornaments and colorful paintings around door, windows and edges – and half-round buildings that look like huge bowls turned upside down, little decoration, but beautiful paintings as well
  • There are a few theories about meaning of both styles, but truth is: latter one is more popular in recent times and the idea of smooth roundness intrigues Konti architects because it shows a whole lifestyle
  • Bridges also very important in such a city, are usually shaped like bows with high (Geländer), creatively decorated, but excellent craftsmanship is not overly visible, instead architects focused on shapes and figures and meaning of them playing together and forming a scene, a theme that is individual to every single bridge
Culture

Cuisine
  • Special fish that is kept in ponds and bred as fine food
Major Holidays
  • 10 days at end of fall: Pumpkin Festival to celebrate end of harvest and gifts the gods of land and seasons have granted them
Factions
  • Timandre family
  • Suviak (Tidalwave), a subgroup of Azenth serving Ivak, possesses headquarter at north of Mura, is allowed to stay there as organization in turn for controlling weather and avoiding floods and cyclones
Locations of Interest

History
  • Was ‘discovered’ in 497 AV, since then tourism has been growing steadily

People of Mura

Box:
  • Region: Konti Isle
  • Notability
  • Leader: Mothers’ & Grandmothers’ Circle
  • Population: 2,000
  • Races: 98% Konti, 2% Other
  • Languages: Kontinese
  • Currency: Miza?
  • Imports: Metal, Stone
  • Exports: Vision Water
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Re: [Brainstorming] Mura City Description

Postby Nyahna Sasin on January 2nd, 2010, 12:28 am

For your idea about Venice, instead of gondolas, maybe you could have the boats be closed, with glass windows, and go underwater. A medieval submarine of sorts.
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on January 2nd, 2010, 1:47 am

Vanessa-

I know we've already talked a little about Mura and what I thought about when I was working on it. I'll throw some more of my thoughts at you, but I also want to make it plain that in taking on Mura and Konti Island, its YOUR BABY now, so feel free to pick and choose or discard everything I suggest at will. I will neither be offended nor delighted. I just want to help you when thinking about things.

I always pictured Mura as a pastel paradise. I loved the picture you found for the Inn because it was gorgeous, artistically pleasing, and right in line with the color scheme. I see them using a lot of inlaid abalone/pearl/molusk shell in their decorating so that their city sparkles above and below the water line. I see muted beauty everywhere, with a lot of carving and mosaic work. Every surface is painted/decorated... Mura = Mural. I see curved lines on otherwise plain buildings - meaning they are much better at painting and facing than they are at architecture.
I see sweeping stairways leading into the sea that continue on below the surface. I see a clothing style that dries quickly and is not cumbersome in the water - woven of natural materials and decorated with lots of shells and pearls. One of mura's exports is pearls. I see schools of tame fish, dolphins, and underwater gardens sculpted to match the gardens above. Someone once showed me a gorgeous garden on Sunset Magazine's website of a garden above ground that looked just like a sea garden. I wanted one immediately. That could be above and below so easily. I see the waters of the Silver Lake... the Vision Waters... infusing all the plant and animal life on Mura, which is why so much of it is pale or white. The drinking water of the entire island of Konti is tainted, so that people that stay there for prolonged periods of time or get an infusion of it can really gain insight or even develop a gift.

I see pathways through wild white forests with a thoguhtful bench placed here or a mysterious sculpture there. Homes are not close together. Mura is a very safe peaceful place to live, so folks can have lots of space between their place and the next. Beaches have white sand and incredibly blue oceans, and the whole of the wildlife of the island is made up of peaceful but fantastical creatures. I thought deer with long sweeping horns, graceful cranes and gulls, and flowers that bloom no where else that all have sacred names and meanings.

And of course, Time moves slowly there, because its like living in a different world.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 2nd, 2010, 2:30 am

Oh.. and another thing. Not much Agriculture. A lot of Aquiculture.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gillar on January 2nd, 2010, 2:37 am

I am liking the ideas thus far. You may want to take a look at Ravok though since it is also influenced by Venice with it being mostly a floating city filled with canals and connecting bridge/walkways. The bridges there though do not blend their architecture to form specific scenes; they are usually elaborate and hard to discern any real pattern (influenced by the city belonging to the God of Chaos).

The more I think of it as I type, it is almost like Mura, as you have detailed out thus far here, is an opposite to Ravok. The art and architecture in Mura seems to be more of an innocent beauty with pattern and structure whereas Ravok is a mirror to the Chaos that founded it. Mura flows together to become one whereas Ravok is mix-matched and almost forced together with a myriad of dark beauty drawn from its inconsistencies.

I would suggest continuing with your focus on the beautiful, structured aspects of Venice since Ravok dwells more on the clutter, chaos and grime; Ravok's underwater chambers are that way because they flood due to the city continuously sinking as it grows. It would be cool to see an opposite to Ravok where the light prospers instead of the dark.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Cayenne on January 2nd, 2010, 2:47 am

I really like what you've got so far. :)

Just an added thought for cuisine - maybe some sea vegetables and such? It fits in with the aquaculture. :)
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Kamalia Timandre on January 2nd, 2010, 12:02 pm

I like everything you've written for Mura. Aside from the architectural designs you have in mind, do you think it's okay to add some ornate gazebos? :P Or footbridges? Maybe it would be nice if the style of sea gardens are also designed upon poetry or song just like how the Chinese style their gardens.

What do you think of conch shellhouses underwater? :)

http://www.coolmags.net/images/Conch-Shell-House-Isla-Mujeres-Mexico.jpg

http://indiainfocity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Sachin-Tendulkars-New-House-Shell-House-2-520x370.jpg

http://static.urbarama.com/photos/medium/232.jpg

http://weirdscience.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/shell-house-2.jpg

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/a/ab/FFVIIAC-ForgottenCapital.jpg

(of course, they're supposed to be prettier than that)

As for imports, since we have the Opal Temple, do you think the Konti Isle is self-sufficient when it comes to medicinal or healing resources?
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Thread (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (4) Advocate (1)

Postby Alice on January 7th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Oh, these are very interesting ideas! I know that it's my decision only in the end, but I'm really glad that I asked - I never would have come up with such beautiful impressions!

Nyahna - There already are small tourist boats that are shaped like animals, but underwater versions would be a good idea! Thanks for that. :)

Kam - I was actually thinking about something similar, perhaps along the lines of Asian mindsets and literature style. That would suit the Konti nicely, since they are striving for peace and harmony with themselves and nature as well. I have nothing about pavilions either, perhaps even some underwater kind.

I really appreciate any other ideas or suggestions, so don't hesitate! Perhaps you can think of any culinary or historical details, but everything else is welcome too.
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on January 7th, 2010, 11:34 pm

One other thing -- about the date of Mura's 'discovery.' The Zeltivans sailed entirely around the continent in 450-451; it's likely given the timeline that they would have been doing at least some limited trading in the area at least as early as the 440s. That doesn't mean tourists were coming, of course, but it's something to think about ^_^
Trista
I can see for miles and miles and miles...

Words: 101570
Joined roleplay: August 17th, 2009, 1:08 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)