Request for Development: Death

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Lazybones on February 16th, 2012, 4:17 am

This is a request for Storytellers and Founders alike.

So, not to be morbid, but I think this is a topic that is not well covered in the wiki. Death is often a large part of cultural and religious believes, often regarded an an ultimate end, the end of a cycle, or the beginning of a higher existence. The lives of Charoda, Isur, Humans, Drykas, Vantha, and all the other varied cultures of Mizahar is richly detailed in their race wikis, but what about their deaths?

There is some debate about what happens to an Ethaefal when he dies, and as a race, I don't believe they have any uniform belief system about how to treat their dead, unless Syna or Leth request a service. The Akalak may sometimes see their adolescents die in trials. The Konti would not see many deaths on their own isle, but I can speculate that all of Mura would be saddened if someone died.

Not only would different races treat death differently, but different cultures within races would also regard it differently. The Drykas, a sub-culture of humans, leave their dead in the open on raised platforms where they died. Humans in Syliras cremate their dead. But what about other human cities? Lhavit? Zeltiva? Avanthal? The Vantha can't bury their dead in frozen ground.

Speaking for Ravok, they would most likely not have any uniform method for tending their dead. It could be anything from a grand funeral with dozens of people in attendance, to an inglorious kick into the canals. Burial wouldn't be likely, as there's nowhere to bury someone except on the shore, where animals would likely burrow and eat the tasty corpse, but a memorial somewhere wouldn't be out of the question.

What about other cultures? I'd love to know what happens to the bodies of the dead in Mizahar. I think this is important to character development and histories, and future plots if any new characters or important NPCs experience untimely deaths. I've seen my share in Alvadas already.
I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust. And you should let me run your life, because I do know what is best for you.

RavokBlack SunEbonstryfeRhysolThe VoiceRavok IC
Lazybones
Could be wrong, should be right.

Words: 80514
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Rage on February 16th, 2012, 4:59 am

Myrians burn their dead. What they do with the bones after that, I'm not sure. Cayenne can give more of a definite answer to that, but I've always wondered too if the remains (bones) can be 'inherited' by their immediate family, to be used as decorations for their homes/weapons (maledicted or otherwise)/tools, seeing as Myrians, ever practical, do not like to put anything to waste. And the soul of the departed wouldn't need their physical remains after anyway since they will be reincarnated by Myri.

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Office

Postby Liar on February 16th, 2012, 5:26 am

In Nyka symbolism is paramount, and so their customs probably vary. A fisherman may want to be sent to sea, a farmer buried in the ground. Because it's so crowded, I imagine cremation is common too, with ashes scattered in a place that was important to them in life. Most people probably default to having their bodies sent to the Aperture, back to the Heart of the World, where they can be recycled into the life force of the Mother City.
Liar
This statement is false.

Words: 175519
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2011, 10:20 pm
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Poison on February 16th, 2012, 5:32 am

Symenestra don’t bury their dead because they live in a cave. Instead they treat the bodies with special mixtures to keep them from decaying, wrap them in silk and take them to the Temple of Viratas. The bodies of all Symenestra that ever died in Kalinor are kept there. Dead surrogates on the other hand are discarded like trash, dumped on the bottom of the cave and never talked about again. The monsters that live on the bottom of the cave eat them.
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Words: 432701
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2011, 7:28 pm
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Fallacy on February 16th, 2012, 6:15 am

In Alvadas Ive established the practice of cremation (contrary to popular belief the 'cremated' bodies are not all ash after they are burned. There are bone fragments left over, and so the NPCs assigned to the cremating will usually pound the remains to dust.) after which the ashes are given to the family, but if they have no family then they ashes are spread around Alvadas by Menna.

There are two locations Ive done to flesh the concept of death in Alvadas out.

The Divine Legacy - of course the 'taking' of bones done by Karash is a very well kept secret

and

The Sealed Grounds - which explains a little history behind the cremation (mainly the fear of malediction and bodies being robbed/disappearing)

12 hour shifts have started, and Im working 6-7 days a week mandatory overtime. My replies will be slow until I can adjust to this new groove.
Fallacy
I think you're crazy just like me.

Words: 493223
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2011, 7:58 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)