[Riverfall City Gates] All PCs Post Here From The Grasslands

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Re: [Riverfall City Gates] All PCs Post Here From The Grasslands

Postby Wing on March 27th, 2010, 9:06 pm

4th Day of Spring, Year 510 AV

Wing flew high above the plains, circling the sky above the city of Riverfall. It was night, and she could see the lights of the Akalak city below, though she was sure she was high enough up that they could not see her. Especially in the dark. This was going to be a big night for her, one way or another. She might lose her life, or she may make the first step towards a new one.

Slowly she made her decent, landing quite a distance from the gate. She thought it'd be better if she didn't arrive by sky. This way she could get closer before the guards realized what she was. This was not going to be easy, but she knew it had to be done. She spent a few moments brushing her hair, getting it back under control after the flight, and making sure she looked presentable. Carefully she folded her wings over her shoulders so it looked like she was wearing a cloak. She did not own any clothing, but she knew city folk didn't like nudity very much, and while she didn't quite understand why she felt it'd be best if she covered herself up.

Checking over what little she had with her, including her bag of mizas which she was more than willing to use if it came to bribing the guards, she stepped out onto the road and took a deep breath. This is it... you have one shot at this, don't screw it up. She wanted to do this without her magic, though she would use it if she must. However, life would be much easier if she could be granted access for real.

Slowly she approached, every step seeming a mile and the gates seemed further and further away until finally she found herself upon them. She paused just beyond the torchlight and took a deep breath, before stepping into the light and raising her hands to show she was unarmed and presented no threat, though her sharp claws glinting in the flickering light might suggest otherwise. By now the guards surely saw her, though they might not recognize her for what she was just yet.

When she got close enough to see the look on their faces she stopped, making sure to keep in a non-threating posture. She bowed low, as she had been forced to do many times before the Master, and spoke out in her best common. Even the most oblivious person could hear the nervousness in her voice.

"Please, hear me before you kill me. I am no threat, and seek shelter in your city, if you will have me."
Last edited by Wing on July 20th, 2010, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want what I cannot have.. and it is agony.
Wing
Player

Words: 37851
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2010, 11:18 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Charon on March 27th, 2010, 11:10 pm

The night duty of guarding the city gate typically remained uneventful. The two Akalak who always stood at the gate had others close by in case anything did happen that they could not handle. Usually this information was more of a humorous thought for the men and served only as a last resort if it ever came to that. And even though they would not outwardly and openly antagonize one of their own for requesting help at the gate, the guards would make sure no situation ever reached that point.

At night, the Akalak relied on their superior night vision to keenly stay aware of their situation. Most nights nobody came unless they got caught too far into the Sea of Grass hunting, but that was rare for an Akalak. Because of the usual lack of activity at night, when one guard spotted something move beyond the radial glow of the torches they immediately sharpened their mind and poised themselves for whatever it might be. The other guard took the body language of his partner as a signal and started scanning.

For whatever reason, the dark, unlit figure paused before entering into the light. Immediately the guards realized the approaching person was not Akalak and moments later they realized it was not human either. This escalated this occurrence from a rarity to something highly unusual. The figure approached slowly, a good move on their part, and when they came close enough for the Akalak to realize exactly what she was, the guards immediately went on the defensive. The second man drew a katana while the first stood tall yet ready to move in a split if needed. But something... something told him that this Zith was not a usual one.

Hearing her words, the first Akalak scanned the Zith slowly before responding. "I don't believe you are not a threat. I should kill you now." But he did not draw his weapon. Staring at this intruder before him, he asked, "Why would you seek shelter in our city? Your kind is not welcome here. Your kind kill innocent people and do not belong in any civilized area!" He still stood, comfortably standing up to the Zith knowing his companion was ready with katana in hand. He stopped, waiting for her to speak as he very slowly began to think she was not suicidal enough to strike him.
| - Riverfall - | - Akalak - | - Starting Guide - |

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Words: 99186
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2010, 1:36 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Wing on March 28th, 2010, 1:04 am

Wing knew this was not going to be easy, but still she found herself at a loss at the Akalak's harsh but true words. Her eyes flicked to the katana drawn by the second guard, and she took comfort in the fact that they did not immediately attack her. She could defend herself well enough, but she was sure the guard was more skillful than her, and she did not want to ruin her chances of ever getting into the city with fighting. Things were lookiong bad, yet despite her situation, she still believed she might do this without magic.

She takes a few steps back then gets down on hands and knee's, unfolding her wings as she does so, and puts her head to the ground. Her wings she lays flat on either side in a show of submission. "Please! I am sorry for what my kind has done to you," she lied. And for what I have done.. I am here to repent, and make ammends for everything I have done." She lifts her head and looks the guard in the face. I know you have no reason to trust me, but I wish only to get away from my kind and make a new life for myself."

While Wing may not have been truly sorry for what her people had done, the last part of what she said was certainly true. She wanted nothing more to do with the Zith, and wished only to make a new life. Even if she couldn't get into the city today, she would return tomorrow and the next until they let her in. Assuming that she lived through the night. She hoped that her words alone would be enough, but she had a feeling she was going to have to pull out the tricks.
Last edited by Wing on July 20th, 2010, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Postby Charon on March 29th, 2010, 2:08 am

The interrogating guard watched as the Zith before him pleaded calmly for admission into the city. His brow was furrowed in an outward display of his unwelcoming attitude toward Wing. The second Akalak was obviously very ready to strike with his weapon if the need, or opportunity arose. Though he was not quite licking his lips, the thought was on the edge of his mind just as well. They both watched the winged creature kneel and bow in a calm, unoffensive manner. What in the Valterrian were they supposed to think of that?

So here was this Zith kneeling before them and apologizing for what her race essentially stood for while an Akalak stood ready with katana in hand. The demonstration obviously was quite unexpected from one of these monsters and that perhaps coupled with the fact that it was a female is what most likely prolonged her life to this point. Careful not to weaken his senses or step back from his position, the guard addressing her before replied, "I don't care what you say. You could have the purest heart but your outer shell gives me any indication I need to not let you in. You will disturb the peace of the Akalak and the serene nature of the city. Not only that, but I could certainly not guarantee your survival through your first days here. And why Riverfall? You can travel the entire Sea of Grass to find a place to start your new life, why would you choose to corrupt the most beautiful city in Mizahar?"

The words may be harsh to Wing's ears but they would most likely reflect the same train of thought that most within the city would have. The words also seemed to spare her an immediate death at the gate of the city. Though there were those within Riverfall that may take pity on this outcast from her race, she would be lucky to find them before being killed by the rest of the populace. Of course, that was most likely true no matter where she went- so why not try in Riverfall?

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Office

Postby Wing on March 29th, 2010, 2:57 am

This was not working. Words alone were not going to do the trick with these two. She needed to try something different, and needed to guarantee she didn't lose her hold over them either. She knew the Akalak's weakness for women, though she wasn't sure if they would even be interested in her since they couldn't produce children, but she hoped that like most men that's not all they cared about. Looking up at the guard who was speaking do her, she rises to her knees not bothering to fold her wings back down.

"Because it is the most beautiful. And would any other city treat me any differently? I think not. Plus, I heard Riverfall often welcomed women in need into their city." As she speaks she calls upon her Djed, the unseen power inside her she taps when using her magic, and directs it toward the two Akalak, surrounding them and penetrating their minds with the invisible substance. As she continues to speak a feeling a carnal desire for the Zith before them should creep into their minds."And I do not wish to be guaranteed protection, I just want to be given a chance. Surely there is something we could work out?"

Wing rises to her feet now, folding her wings loosely around her, and takes a step toward the guard. "Please, I mean no harm to you or your city. I want only to live in peace. You can trust me. I wont hurt anybody. And I could certainly make it worth your while." She glances over at the other guard, pushing the feeling of desire harder, "For both of you." She steps back again, looking from one guard to the next. She hoped this would work, and she wouldn't have to use more dire methods. She didn't want to over do it and give herself away. That would certainly ruin her chances, slim as they were, and she didn't need that.
Last edited by Wing on July 20th, 2010, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Postby Charon on April 1st, 2010, 1:00 am

The leader of the pair of blue-skinned guards, or at least the one doing all the talking in this situation, straightened his posture when the winged woman before him stood so suddenly. He had not paid much mind to his posture when addressing her- his passion and anger with which he spoke overruled his concern for outward appearance. The fact that she stood and replied so directly and confidently to his statements hinted at some hidden characteristic that the Akalak somehow respected. Though he would not give the Zith the satisfaction of seeing this surprising fact.

"You aren't a woman..." he grumbled in the midst of her response. In no way did this guard see the flying creature before him as any type of benefit for his race. If he did, this interaction may have taken a far more welcoming and easier path. Regardless of his personal feelings and thoughts toward her words, though, the guard somehow felt her words were true. It was more of a nagging thought that was creeping into his mind and for a moment he thought it was a half of him unfelt in decades...

He turned from Wing, frustration only showing toward his sword-ready mate. Apparently he had the same feeling and whispered his suggestion, "We could just let her through. Remember it's the city we protect here, not necessarily just our race..." His voice was allowed to trail away as the leader of the pair darted a sharp look into his eyes. It was true, though. With a few more moments of consideration, he turned to face the female Zith again.

He stared into her eyes briefly before stating, "You will be granted access. But as a fair warning, your life will not be easy here and I cannot guarantee it's length. You tread in a city full of protective citizens of her serenity and the Akalak are one of the most protective races due to their delicate numbers. If you think that is the description of a place you want to start a new life, be our guest." Though he slowly moved aside in a gesture of allowing her into the city, the Akalak apparently did not completely agree with his decision even now. What happened to her after this night would be in her own hands if she was lucky... But he decided it was not their decision to make.

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Office

Postby Wing on April 4th, 2010, 2:12 am

The Zith nearly sighs in relief, but holds it back, wanting to appear as if them letting her in was not that big of a deal to her. She was no longer begging, but was gaining control over the situation. She was certain if she lingered longer she could probably get more out of the guards than just access to the city, perhaps money or information, but she did not want to risk somebody else showing up and ruining things for her. Instead, she offers the lead guard a warm smile and a thanks.

"I thank you for your generosity. I promise you will not regret it." Wing takes a step past the guard and through the gate then stops, taking a deep breath. She'd gotten past the first obstacle, but she knew there would be many more to come. After a few seconds consideration she decided she would need to appeal to the leaders of the city. Perhaps not tonight, but soon. Before she leaves she turns back to the two guards. "Again, I thank you, and I promise no harm will come to your city by me." Deciding to leave the guards at ease she once again calls on her djed, pushing a sense of well being on the guards, making them feel like everything was okay. Like they had done a good thing this night, and all would be well. "Good night to you both."

And with that Wing turns away from the two guards and takes her first steps into the city...
Last edited by Wing on July 20th, 2010, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kashik on April 21st, 2010, 5:12 am

30th Day of Spring, 510 AV

So I go back and forth forever
All my thoughts they come in pairs
Oh I will, I won't, I doubt, I don't,
I'm not surprised but I never feel quite prepared

Hiloha's swaying form was easy to spot from the walls of Riverfall, and no doubt the guards caught sight of both the horse and his rider long before she could discern what exactly was going on with all of that... stone. Just gobs of it. It was as big as a bloody mountain! The longer her stallion walked, the further it seemed to get, until Kashik just rolled her eyes and pulled a bottle of wine from her saddlebags.

The next hour was spent pleasantly enough, drinking and letting her Strider plod his way across the bridge and up to the guarded gates of the Akalak city. When he finally shambled to a stop, snorting a breath as his long forelock fell forward to cover his horsey face, Kashik shoved the now-empty bottle back into the saddlebag and threw a leg over the yvas, hopping down to the ground.

"Sweet Semele's sparkling tits, that was a long petching ride!" she laughed, grinning widely at the guards as she stretched tired muscles. That smile was so bright it practically sparkled, setting off the glass beads and diamond chips looped into the braids of her dark hair. "And aren't you a strapping pair! Now I know what my mum meant when she warned me about them big blue men. Whew!" she said, waving a hand as if she'd burned her fingers, laughing again. "So, fellas. Where's a girl gotta go to find a bed and a few bottles of wine, huh?"

Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Words: 136797
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2010, 2:47 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Shena'doah on April 26th, 2010, 9:47 pm

TIME OF DAY: Early evening
DATE: Season of Spring, Day 45, 510 AV

”Looks like we are here.” It was a relieved sigh of words as Shena tugged back lightly on the reins before crossing the bridge. For a moment she wanted to take in the place and smile to herself. If anything, the place looked rather solid and majestic. Her tired gaze skimmed the tops of the walls to see that this place wasn’t without a watchful eye. As she nudged Emiliuz, her dappled grey stallion, forward and peered at what was ahead of her. A pair of guards were standing at the gates on the other side of the stone bridge. She was observed thoughtfully at first but greeted with a friendly smile – which she hadn’t seen in a while – and welcomed in.

As she passed through the gates, Shena looked back, stopping at the entrance. ”Looks like things are going to start getting better for us.” Again she was talking to Emi but he seemed to be content with listening to her, snorting and inhaling the strange scented air. She patted him on the shoulder and thought about getting off to find a place she could stay and just lead him but wasn’t completely sure she could trust her legs to function properly. ”Not much further, lets find a place to stay. I believe it’s a place called… Godiva’s Refuge?”
Shena'doah
Player

Words: 28596
Joined roleplay: April 17th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Charon on April 28th, 2010, 2:07 am

Kashik

Approaching the Riverfall gates from the Sea of Grass had a way of making the traveler believe they are witnessing a strangely formed mirage at the edge of the world. Three thousand feet above the Suvan Sea and still a distance from the gates, the thunderous falls of the Bluevein River could not quite be heard above an extremely distant hum. During spring, the rich shades of grass rolling in the wind paled in comparison to the beauty given off by the more full and lush trees and flora growing more numerous as the traveler nears their destination.

From the guard's point of view, the new arrival seemed to be in jovial spirits beyond those which were typical even from the youngest and most refreshed travelers. They exchanged entertained looks as Kashik rode closer and finally dismounted and they soon realized the source of her great mood. The wine she sipped may have been from somewhere close, and stronger than normal, or perhaps she had simply been riding for that long. Regardless, here she was in all her glory and watching her stretch, smile, and speak gave the Akalak guards a bit of a refreshing break from their monotonous duty.

Kashik complimented the guards in an entertaining way and inquired about bed and drink. One of the blue-hued guards stepped up with a smile attempting to match the brightness of her own and replied, just as spirited, "I don't have too long before I'm off. I have wine and a bed that would enjoy your compa-" the last portion of the word was cut off in a hoof as the elbow of his partner found its way into his side. "The Kulk at the base of the falls could also be what you're looking for," this time the smile and attitude seemed just slightly diminished from their original tone.

Shena'doah

As the newcomer wandered toward the gates and found her way to the guards, they overheard her speaking to her large riding companion. All sorts of people and creatures found their way to the beautiful city's gates, and Shena was not the first to talk to herself or an animal, but something about her caught the eye of the taller of the two Akalak guards. "I don't mean to interrupt," he joked as he butted into her conversation, "but if it is Godiva's you're looking for it is in the second tier, or middle of the city. I'm sure such a pretty face will have no problem finding what you'll need in our wonderful city." He winked and did not move aside, though he left plenty of room for her to move around his large fortress of a body. Eyes never leaving her, the guard simply smiled and watched and waited for her to either stay and speak or continue her journey into the city.

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Office

PreviousNext