[Krivak's Scrapbook] There's a Yak in my Boots

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Caelum on June 25th, 2012, 5:29 pm

These are valid points with which I agree by and large. However, I feel there may be two important aspects that may not be being taken into consideration on every case: merit and inspiration.

By merit I am referring to things such as length of time on site, activity level on site, quality and dependability of work.

Example: Player A is a veteran Mizharian with a solid record of time and effort put into their PC. Player B is new to the site and their dedication uncertain or even questionable. Both request modded threads from you within the same time frame that are likely to take more than average effort from you. You only have the ability to do one intense modded thread at this time.

Who are you more likely to go with? Does the fact that Player A is or is not a staff member really even play that much into the decision? Many veteran players so happen to be staff. It is hardly even a relevant point in my personal decision making as a mod.

Let's say you throw caution to the wind and agree to mod both threads though it means you will be pressed for time. You warn both players that, because you are pressed for time, you may be slow but to please not be discouraged. If this is going to be an issue for them, it would be wise for them to either a) wait until you have more time or b) ask another mod. Both players claim they want you to do it, want you to do it now if you're willing and are totally okay with the fact that you are slow.

Sound familiar yet?

Fast forward a few weeks. You have been slow in both threads. You have also been slow on every other thread you have as both a staff member and a player. The two threads are progressing but perhaps not at the desired paces of the respective players.

One night you are inspired for Player A's plot and so you post to it even though Player B has been waiting longer for your response. Let's say Player A happens to be online and posts immediately. You're excited, you're having fun writing, so you post again too to their thread.

The next day, Player B and what seems like half the game are saying things about favoritism, perhaps forgetting that staff are sometimes more inspired by one plot than another and/or that writing is an art and while its true you can hack it out when the pressure's on regardless of inspiration it is also true that inspiration provides you with better quality and enjoyment and at the end of the day you're still a volunteer.

This thing happens to me all the time. I can assure you that for me, personally, it is never an issue of whether or not a person is a staff member. There are about a dozen other variables involved in the ultimate equation.
Last edited by Caelum on June 25th, 2012, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Macabre on June 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm

It's too bad that so many people jump on the "so and so is playing favourites" train when stuff like that happens, as if they cannot tell the difference between a person's creative flow and being ignored. If it happens time and time again and you see this person posting with everyone else but you then yeah, I suppose you're in your right to ask the person why.

I never stick to a static posting order. Never, never ever do I prioritize oldest reply first because I'd never get any quality posts done. I don't think anyone should ever be persecuted because they simply aren't feeling inspired.

I had more opinions on this than I thought I did.

tl;dr Also I agree with Katie
we do what we must, because we can. for the
good of all of us, except the ones who are dead.

kalinor lore | the symenestra | faq | office
Macabre
That's funny, I don't feel corrupt.

Words: 52332
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Paragon on June 25th, 2012, 5:45 pm

I completely agree. I'd like to think I post in a time-based manner, but I sometimes eschew order and go with the flow and whatever thread I'm feeling. It's rarely personal or to do with favourites. I think people are getting far too hung up on this. If this was some sort of government scheme, then I'd be concerned. But it's not. It's a site we come to to ultimately have fun and enjoy :)
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Cascade on June 25th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Macabre wrote:
I don't think anyone should ever be persecuted because they simply aren't feeling inspired.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. :) I don't do favoritism, but there are times when I reply to certain threads first... and it's not because I like that thread more, it's just that there are some things you can't force. I'd rather wait than receive a half-assed post, but that's just me. Same goes for modded threads. If an ST doesn't feel inspired to do one for me, or if they have any other reasons, then it's not something I'll take against them.
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 25th, 2012, 6:34 pm

In a way I'm laughing over this and crying at the same time.

You can come up with a thousand examples of why posting to something is fun, entertaining, gives you a boost, etc. But I don't think Tony is referring to that. We all get excited for a thread and post to it. I don't think anyone minds. And that's not what hes talking about here. In fact, I'm fairly sure I know what hes referring too and its not those threads that give you a kick or an enthusiastic bug to write to one thread and that thread only for a bit. I think hes talking about long term patterns of favoritism that are so blatant that everyone on the site can see it repeatedly and often, except for those people that are doing it.

And its ironic that it happens. Its ironic that its storytellers like Tony is talking about, and when/if it happens on my level, I can't do anything about it, sadly. But...

The great thing about Mizahar is the game is wide open. Everyone can read everything for the most part barring the Staff Lounge and Founder areas. So once its out in the open, its out there. You can't take it back. And if you are a higher level than someone who's discussing this, then they don't tell you and aren't comfortable admitting the truth as they see it. You can't say "I'm sorry..." and have people believe you. So slowly people will pull away, stop having anything to do with you, and talk and talk and talk about the situation until they are blue in the face. If your clueless then you aren't paying attention, you aren't listening, and you don't care that much. That's all there is too it.

Yes, Mizahar is my playground. Isn't it yours? Yes we created it to write stories and have fun. But we've always been fair to folks until they prove that they aren't trustworthy or won't be fair to us or the game and then we don't need to care so much. I don't think that's happened often and most of those folks are gone now.

But if your a person in a leadership position, you should act like a leader. Storytellers are leaders. All the way from Founders to Assistants to the newest Liaisons. We set the mood of the game and give each other the opportunities we need to live together online in a community united under the singular purpose of telling a story.

Act like it. Don't play favorites. Don't accept favoritism by benefiting from it.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Macabre on June 25th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Ah, phew.

Truly, the only thing that got me worried for my own butt was the notion that he was talking people feeling ignored due to posts and what have you. I'm relieved, now, never having been a part of what people are actually so up in arms about. That being said, I'll gracefully bow out of the conversation.

Though, if I am ever a perpetrator of favouritism, I fully expect somebody somewhere to shoot me a PM and say "hey jerkface, you need to tone it down".

Cody, out!
we do what we must, because we can. for the
good of all of us, except the ones who are dead.

kalinor lore | the symenestra | faq | office
Macabre
That's funny, I don't feel corrupt.

Words: 52332
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Office

Postby Creeper on June 26th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Holy Inspired Positivity Macabre!

After reading your post in your own Scrap Macabre (some say Chupamacabre, the rare creature that sucks the horror out of anything), I am reminded of the many good things Mizahar has brought me. Thank you, thank you for being positive and upbeat. I love Mizahar, which is why I dedicate so much of myself to it. Mizahar has brought me so many great things, an outlet for my creativity, a hobby that keeps the mind sharp, many great friends and acquaintances, a place where I can belong amongst like minded people. I love you Mizahar, and I will call you back, this is not just a one night stand.

CS Forums! I know We don't always see eye to eye, but you are my first girl, and you can never forget your first. I may come off as heavy handed and annoyed with you at times, but its frustrating how you keep me on my toes. But don't forget, CS, we have an open relationship. I'm not the only one taking care of you, seeing to your every need and desire, we have lots of other Liaisons and Storytellers. So could you please stop cursing the Liaison staff? There's enough of your love to go around.

The Spires, my true lady, how I love you and the bounty of PCs you've brought my way. I am one of the luckiest Moderators out there. How many people can pretty much build a city from the ground up? Sure, it's a lot of work, but it's worth every moment. I love everything about my city, the natural side of it, the player base, the constant threat of danger, the fact that it's not only being built by me, but by the community that lives there. We are Spires. So lets keep the city growing and beautiful, and lets keep up the positive attitudes, make it infectious!

P.S. Cinna has joined our little relationship, treat her nicer than I would please.
Creeper
My Bark is Worse Than My Bite

Words: 261058
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: DS of The Spires, Northern Wastes, and Overseeing Avanthal
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Creeper on June 30th, 2012, 4:44 pm

I'll be out of touch until power is restored to my region. Thanks storm!
Creeper
My Bark is Worse Than My Bite

Words: 261058
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: DS of The Spires, Northern Wastes, and Overseeing Avanthal
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Phoenix on June 30th, 2012, 5:08 pm

:(
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 30th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Having no power never stopped us folks out west. Whats wrong with you easterners? Sheesh. We loose power for weeks on end. You guys loose it for a day or two and the whining never ends! Last time we lost power in a big way we went two weeks before it was restored due to a winter inland typhoon and it was below freezing and snowing in Feb. I refuse to feel bad for you. :P
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext