[Montaine's Scrapbook] The Cellar Door

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Gossamer on July 1st, 2012, 1:29 am

I want to see you both in Witches hats singing 'defying gravity' from Wicked. :) Come on... everyone else wants to see this too!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Seven Xu on July 1st, 2012, 11:12 am

I retook your hue test this morning with fresh eyes. Just thought I'd let you know: a challenge has been issued. Still having trouble with teal, though. I find if I stare at the third bar for longer than 20 seconds, it all looks grey to me.

Screenshot provided :
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Montaine on July 1st, 2012, 9:12 pm

I retook it too and got errors in different places to last time. Evidently I aced teal and buggered up elsewhere:

Screenshot: :
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Words: 306099
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Montaine on July 6th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Okay, so a few days ago I received an awesome sketch, but it was a little racy so I edited it for syndication.

Dundundun :
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cascade on July 6th, 2012, 5:48 pm

That's really weird, because Pash put the exact same sign on Nira!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Pash'nar on July 6th, 2012, 6:53 pm

*squints*

I really don't know how to explain the theory that there's always room for more when it comes to Pash's thought process. You and your petty rivalries are totally unnecessary! Sharing. It's awesome.

Anyway, I want to see the rest of that sketch now.
Pash'nar
There's always room for more.

Words: 295535
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2011, 3:51 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 12th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Montaine wrote:'Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.' It is a perfectly acceptable sentence, as 'Buffalo buffalo' can mean bison from Buffalo, NY and the word 'buffalo' can also mean to bully. The sentence therefore means 'the NY-based buffalo that other NY-based buffalo pick on, in turn bully other NY-based buffalo.'

Okay. So. I'm quoting a line from *thinks* two and a half months ago. I'm screwing up the continuity of Monty's scrapbook. And I don't care, because I know he'll still enjoy what I have to say.

So why have I done this? I assure you, it isn't a crude attempt to make Monty's scrapbook fold back in on itself and open up a vortex in space time that will allow me to travel to another dimension. No. No those experiments are restricted to the attic, and this is the cellar.

I'm quoting this because I started reading Monty's scrapbook around page *goes to search for my first post here...* Page two. My first post here was encouraging Monty to be free with his IC sexuality as it felt most natural to him. Which I'm glad he did, because for one thing, we wouldn't have gotten The Hard Sell, and that means I wouldn't have gotten to discuss said encounter in Intertwining Roots, and we wouldn't have had the argument that led to Tock forcibly strapping Monty into her magic crutches in stubborn logic. Which I find awesome, because that means one of my current favorite threads chock full of meaty character development can be directly traced back to the first scrapbook post I replied to. Go Monty!

I first stumbled across the scrapbook the day this post went up, which was shortly before Monty got his new face that is currently his avatar. Which was a close call, because earlier that morning I figured out who the charcoal drawing was of, and thus earned a warm place in Monty's heart. I miss seeing that drawing as his avatar, though I never get enough of that... look Monty is giving me in his avatar *winks*.

Ramble ramble ramble... I ramble a lot. Tis my wont.

So. Today I was poking around in the Scrapbooks forum because I needed a break from researching how to make gold leafing for a flashback thread. And I realized that since starting on page 2, contributing greatly to the dreaded page 6 (which I think Monty secretly adores), and posting to (I think) every page since then, I realized I had never read page one.

And upon reading page one, I stumbled across the quote at the top, and, well, it resulted in this rather long ramble.

So. Yeah. I didn't have much else specific to say. Except pointing out that I rather enjoy reading it, and the Buffalo sentence there is quite intriguing. It is intriguing because it prompts thought, such as the convoluted train of thoughts that led to this very post.

Also? boobies
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Montaine on July 13th, 2012, 9:39 pm

A Modern Marriage

A rare pleasure, given how awfully busy he must be, but I get to give thanks to our beloved Papa Para for Intertwining Roots, an enjoyable thread which takes an unexpected turn at the end but allowed us to showcase the effects of the Wren wrought blight on Zeltiva. Also we got to collaborate on a song. I know nothing about music or song writing, but it's terribly fun to try and I'm not planning on stopping any time soon. Anyhow, we must get on! I've done absolutely no writing today and very little yesterday but frankly I've been exhausted. I feel a little guilty, certainly now that I am wasting words on a rather useless scrapbook entry, but hey that's how the wind blows. I had two potential topics in mind, the genre of science fiction or this one, but I'm in a somewhat romantic mood tonight and it seems a shame to waste such a rare occurrence.

Marriage. This is important to me. I'm not sure I can stress quite how much, but let's see if I can articulate it. Let's start off by saying that where I live, marriage is currently illegal. That is not to say it is criminal, simply unrecognised, though it looks to be changing in the coming years. About bloody time, frankly. Before we get onto my views let us first address those of the opposite side. I have, myself, never met someone against the legalisation of same sex marriage, save for perhaps my Gran, as though she had never made her opinion on this particular topic clear she did once say "Well, if my grandson being gay is the worst thing to happen in this family, I think we're going to be alright!" She's old, she's conservative and her reasons for her opinions are pretty much that she reads the Daily Mail and comes from a generation in which this sort of thing simply doesn't go on!

One of the most common complaints I've heard is that people are redefining marriage. I shall now explain why this is bullshit, and also why marriage is so important to me, as an individual. I've made it clear in the past that I'm something of a romantic at heart, even if I'm a grumpy curmudgeon everywhere else. I've made it clear that I don't cry, that I rarely get angry, that perhaps my most defining trait is apathy. People come to me with their problems, not just that but the sorts of people to whom people come with their problems come to me with that problem. I know I complain about the cold, and the heat and the weather and my bones and my aches and pains and all those little gripes that an old man like me has but I like to think that I don't labour my friends with anything to cause them real trouble. I like to think I don't have those sorts of problems, I had a happy childhood with good parents. I was never bullied, and had plenty of friends. I'm pretty much as content as one can be.

But everyone has bad days. Days when everything goes wrong, days when you just think 'why bother?' Days when you just fancy staying in the warmth of your bed and putting off dealing with the world for another twenty four hours. It's not depression, it's not anything, just a sort of melancholy that seizes everyone time to time. On those days when I have work to do and don't want to do it, when I've hurt myself and can't be arsed to wait out the recovery, on those days I think to the future. I think to two very specific days on which I know, I know, I will look back and be able to say it was worth it. I will be able to think yeah, those days were kind of sucky, they weren't the best, hell they were pretty shitty all told, but they were bloody well worth it.

One of these days, I have always envisaged, will be the first time I publish something. But you know what? Now that I'm a little older and little more romantically starved I think the second of these days will knock that one out of the water. The second day that will make everything, every little gripe or bad day worth it, that second day? That day will be my wedding day.

If I'm feeling down I just look ahead to the day, potentially quite far off, when I will be able to stand in front of the man that I love, the man who means everything. Someone with whom I can be absolutely free, who makes me happy just to know that they exist, who makes me giddy just to see them, who makes me not care about anything, nothing at all, while they're next to me. I will be able to stand in front of the man for whom I would willingly do anything and say yes, explain to them in two little words how I feel. Make them understand just how much they mean, how much I love them, and then to hear them say it right back. Some people argue that marriage is an outdated, patriarchal, heteronormative system, that CPs are fine, that we don't need a piece of paper to validate our love. To me marriage is a symbol for that love, for that commitment, that everlasting, eternal bond. It is a beautiful way to express the strength of one's love to the centre of one's world.

I don't want to change the definition of marriage. I would punch anyone who tried. I don't want it to change, not ever, not even slightly because it is the beauty of its definition, of that symbolism, of the connotations that word implies that sets my heart ablaze at the prospect. When I'm feeling sad, it is that concept, that idea, that word, that lifts me back to my feet. I don't want to change the definition of marriage. I just want to get married.

Oh, word of the day: sanguine, hopeful. Plus, point of interest, it also means bloody.

-Monty
Last edited by Montaine on July 13th, 2012, 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Pauk on July 13th, 2012, 10:21 pm

The only page that I remember is page six.

Hm.
School just started and it's already killing me. I'll try to reply as quickly as possible, but I may be slow.
Pauk
Earn your stripes.

Words: 20716
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2012, 2:03 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Paragon on July 13th, 2012, 10:26 pm

*Round of applause*

Amen to that Monty.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

PreviousNext