What do you think of Mizahar factions?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Irriari on June 26th, 2013, 8:05 am

Hey everyone,

I’ve loved Mizhar’s factions since I started the game, and I was wondering why more people didn’t join them. To me, they’re a great way to advance your character and show your loyalty to a god or cause. So, what do you think of factions? Why have (or haven’t) you had your PCs join one? I think they’re super underutilized, and I was curious as to why. Thanks!

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Kira Slyvass on June 26th, 2013, 9:44 am

I was planning on joining one but so far none that would fit his personality seem to exist or be active. So i might just have Kira make his own faction. When i beer him up a bit XD
Chaos is the worlds natural order. Upset the established order, tamper with the laws set in place. And sever the system, then everything turns...to chaos. And it is through the chaos we seek order. --Kira Slyvass
Kira Slyvass
Playing with lives, is entertainment!

Words: 50884
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2013, 1:09 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Jack Benefort on June 26th, 2013, 11:31 am

I think that the presence of factions in the world is necessary for it to be realistic. Like, Sunberth being controlled by syndicates that are at war. Or organizations like the Black Sun. I mean, I don't think the game would be as complete or immersive if they weren't there. They enhance the places that harbor them and provide, as you've said, excellent opportunities to grow your character, giving them a cause to work for, live for, die for.

The only reason I currently am not involved in one is because my character is a traveler and I don't intend for him to settle down anywhere for a long time, that and he still has some development I have planned to do. After that, I fully intend to invest in one of these, or start one if I can't find the kind of thing I'm looking for. Also, the fact that we can create such things is amazing.

That is all.
Jack Benefort
Forged by Fire

Words: 50701
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2013, 3:06 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Eida on June 26th, 2013, 11:32 am

Hey nice question! I love them too! Well let's go into it with my characters shall we?

Eida - She is a symenestra ethaefal. She is now in Riverfall but mostly enjoy be at the wilds. She has a mark from Leth. But joining a faction? Where could she? Why would she? :)

Elaine - She is a ghost! I was thinking to please one of Ravok's faction but she is dead... it wouldn't give her ANY advantages. She simply made friend with Clyde and that's enough!

Lucy Snowsong - She joined to Snowsong but she is an actress. She want to be and she will travel to show her plays. Not sure where, how, when she will join a faction. I can't say anything more as I didn't play with her that long. We will see! :)

Hope I could help!
Eida
Daughter of Leth

Words: 97147
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2013, 8:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Khida on June 26th, 2013, 11:47 am

I find that a lot of the factions are either regional to places my characters aren't, or require gnosis marks for membership which my characters don't have. And while nifty and cool, most don't fit my characters in personality or goals, anyway.

Two of my characters aren't really faction-joining material to begin with; they don't have the outlook for it. One may become so in the future, but she's got a lot of character development to go before that happens.

My third character is a potential for about three of the gnosis/worship-based groups, but doesn't yet have the IC knowledge or the gnosis mark(s) to be a part of them. She may join them in the future; she may not. I leave that to the whim of IC events.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Irriari on June 26th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone!

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on June 26th, 2013, 5:55 pm

I considered at first trying to get Oscar into the Opal Order but decided against it because I wanted him to strike out his own path as a healer. That being said I'd still like to make my PC's part of some factions, even if they are only small parts of them or even if the factions aren't in the factions section. Like Anna being a professor of the University makes her one of the members of Zeltiva's three factions. It just gives this feeling like your PC part of something bigger and has a chance to affect that organization with their actions.

I would also definitely like to get her to join up with the Black Sun for the very same reason. As well as add another deranged wizard to the crew up in Ravok. In any event, to answer the original question I greatly enjoy the faction system and think it adds a lot of depth to this entire world. It makes it feel more real if you ask me.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Verilian on June 26th, 2013, 6:52 pm

First off, factions are awesome. As to why people don't join them? The answer is simple, not all of them have an ST directly overseeing them.

The Black Sun and Ebonstryfe are both very active factions, players join them (or fail at joining them) all the time. That's because I (or any other ST in Ravok) directly oversee them and encourage players to join them. There are a lot of people in the Syliran Knights because the Syliras STs encourage players to join them.

If you want, you could consider the Endal rank a "faction," sort of, as there is a specific requirement for joining. And there are storytellers who oversee that.

But then if you look at like.. the Order of Radiance, there isn't any storyteller directly overseeing it and encouraging players to join, and giving them an easy way to do it. Now, a player could still join, and ask an ST for help, and they would most likely do it. But without an ST advertising (or a player, players can totally advertise and spearhead a faction if they want), most people aren't going to try to join. People want a clear path to joining, with storyteller support, and ideally other players who are interested.

So.. back to the simple answer: Lots of factions don't get joined because there is nobody spearheading the faction. Without someone encouraging others to join, most players won't join. They either don't want to be the first, or they are afraid to jump into a faction and then not have storyteller support to guide them through the process.

Of course, this shouldn't be the case. If you like a faction, join it! Ask an ST how, and they will help. If they are like, "Uh... I dunno.." ask another ST. The ones who say the don't know are just being lazy anyway.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)