The Evil Professor Is In. (Anna's Scrapbook)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Annalisa Marin on July 2nd, 2013, 5:32 pm

Now then, what was I going to post here today again? This talk of PC death has thrown me off a bit...

Ah! Right, Anna's upcoming Voiding initiation and what that means for her as a character. As some of you might have guessed Anna is extremely power hungry, especially when it comes to learning magic. This doesn't just apply to shooting fireballs or tossing lava around, put quite simply she wants everything. So when Voiding came up in her research it became something she absolutely had to possess, and so now, thanks to a go ahead from Cloud I intend to go forward with my idea on how to initiate her.

Technically, a week is usually required to unlock the power of Voiding. I aim to lock Anna in the dark with only half a loaf of bread and a cup of water, for three days. During this time she will reflect on the phrase, "All is the Void. The Void is all." For three straight days in meditation. The goal here is to have her accept emptiness into herself and to become one with the idea of the Void. Needless to say this kind of thing is not good for sound mental health.

During my plotting I have looked up a number of things, the effects of isolation on the human psyche being the one I found most interesting. Back in the day when there were no limits on human testing for Psychology a study was conducted to test the effects of extreme isolation. The test itself was supposed to go for about 40 days, most of the subjects only lasted 4 and suffered extreme auditory and visual hallucinations. Therefore, Anna spending three days alone, in the dark, repeating the same phrase over and over again is likely going to have ill effects on her psyche.

Considering the very nature of the magic she is practicing and the plans I have for her this season and the coming one, there is a high likelihood Anna might fall of the deep end and become a Nihilist. For those of you unfamiliar with the term or what Nihilism is, it is a state of mind where one negates certain aspects of life itself. Most people familiar with Nihilism are familiar with Existential Nihilism, or the idea that life itself has no meaning or value. The Void being what it is, a dimension of nigh infinite folded space and nothingness it might give the idea that the existence of one person, or even every living being on Mizahar, is insignificant and meaningless by comparison.

So that is where I see Anna headed at this point, beginning the slow descent into crazy town if you will. I won't have many opportunities to post up the first thread today, but it will likely be up either tonight or tomorrow. Along with aforementioned character death which miss Kouri, our favorite Syliran Ghost gets to enjoy.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on July 7th, 2013, 5:58 am

Alright, so I bought the Deadpool video game not expecting much and I was half right. It was an average game mechanic wise but a fun time because Deadpool was just so funny. For those of you not familiar, Deadpool is a character in the Marvel universe known best for is joking personality and breaking the 4th wall. I have been looking up a bunch of stuff on him and can safely say he has now taken his place as my favorite character in Marvel.

Kneel before the greatness of Deadpool!!!

Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Radiant on July 13th, 2013, 1:25 am

Congrats on your AS-ship! :D
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on July 13th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Ha! You'll still have one, two now since another pc is a Wave Guard, certain good hearted guardian to be aware of when you attempt your evil schemes. :P
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Eldritch on July 14th, 2013, 2:20 am

Two? Oh Ricky, you should be aware that our good friend Foxy Boy has requested a modded thread from yours truly. There might be more like one and a half when I am done with him. :lol:

In all seriousness though I welcome a good challenge, what's an antagonist without a protagonist. Besides, Anna is mellowing somewhat so you won't be coming to blows with her that easily. Still rather evil, just smart about it and more focused on world magic now. So bring it on Wave Guard! :p
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on July 14th, 2013, 4:42 am

He actually told me a bit about it a while back, and now I'm debating if I should see about having Ricky tagging along with Hannah to back him up. ;) In all honesty Ricky has a lot of training to do on his own after the 26th, so I'll definitely be getting busy and putting the pedal to the metal or whatever. After I finally have free time again after the next few days I'll be getting serious stuff done hopefully. :) All in all you make an excellent antagonist, wonderful to think the two may have an epic struggle in the distant future.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Eldritch on July 15th, 2013, 7:59 am

Evil is fun

I've been meaning to post this for a while but I've either been engaged in personal writing (Writing outside of Miz), posting, or helping out around the house. Keep in mind that I am posting this at about 4 AM in the morning so I might be a little less coherent that normal.

In various fictions we often see the grand struggle of good VS evil, a dynamic that perpetuates itself throughout the literary world. We all know how it goes, the villain effects the hero's life in someway, the hero travels across three continents, slays the evil doer and gets the girl. That being said, I've been asked before why I root for the 'losing side'.

I've always been much more interested in villains than I have with heroes, lets face it evil is much more fun. I mean, my main PC here crossed the moral event horizon from jerk to evil pretty quickly in RP and every character I root for is evil. Good guys are heart warming, sure, but what really makes a compelling plot is the antagonist. Of course, you have the lovely argument that evil and crazy are the same thing. I really, really, REALLY despise that argument as it cheapens the value of a good villain. Good villains aren't the guys randomly stabbing peasants, devouring cute kittens, or kicking puppies into electric fans. Those are just the dumb crazies.

A good villain is carefully molded over time, forged by a series of events that ultimately have them slip into the dark side. A good villain might have some crazy in them, but its never the main focus of who they are. At most its a quirk that never detracts, or one of the things that pushed them into what they are. Crazy does not define them, it might be a piece but its not the focus or the whole. At the end of the day, a good villain is just a guy who made all the wrong choices.

Some point to a heroes suffering along the path, their trials and tribulations on the stairs to greatness as to why they are better. Villains, at the end of the day are much more ambitious and proactive than heroes. You don't think he got that evil army of the damned overnight did you? Those three dragons he has working for him? Yeah, those took a while to get. If anything the villain suffers and gives way more than the hero. Heroes are, for the most part, purely reactionary forces. They react to a villains plans and try to stop them. The villain pours resources that he spent years acquiring, only for them to be wasted as the conclusion draws nearer and nearer.

So I guess I do indeed root for the losing team, but I enjoy the ride on the way there. I love watching as a villain does something particularly evil and I get pissed when the hero finds some Deus Ex Machina out of a well thought out trap. Maybe that makes me a bad person but that's what I've always thought on the subject.

~Joseph
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Fox Starseer on July 15th, 2013, 9:08 am

Ah but what you're talking about there, is the cliché hero. And I agree, they are annoying (and I technically root for the "good" side). And classing all good/hero characters as that cheapens them a bit, in my mind. I prefer the type of hero who doesn't realise he's the hero until the end. Hell, Fox may end up never realising he's technically a hero, he'll just be doing what he thinks is right, and is someone gets assassinated along the way, or something gets stolen, it was for the greater good. So I'd more categorise him as chaotic good/lawful neutral. That's where people seem to go wrong. They go "Okay hero, does nothing bad, kills the bad guy". No morality, no real choices, just straight up, well, what you mentioned, basically. And as for "losing side", actually I've noticed more "evil" or "bad" characters on here then others, so who's on that side now? ;)

And on another note. The map we discussed in chat (in whispers of course), I got it up, it's in my gallery.

Oh and I like how you play Anna. You may say she's evil, but she's not the straight up clichéd evil you get (again, the type you keep referencing haha).
Fox Starseer
Player

Words: 43727
Joined roleplay: March 12th, 2013, 10:23 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on July 16th, 2013, 2:51 am

I totally agree with you and Fox. There are many cliché heroes and villains that are just plain stereotyped, even the bat shit crazy villains are mildly entertaining for a time when demonstrated well enough. Like Fox says though the best kind of hero, and in some cases villain, are the kind that think they're not heroes. Fox used the example of his character not realising he's a hero till the end, and while that does make an interesting perspective I've found that with Ricky he is the type to be a hero, yet refuses to accept the role anyway no matter what people say. :) Ricky just lives by following his heart as any good hero, or character in general, can do and thinks himself lesser than anything great. It's this humble attitude and the ability to love others unconditionally that determines him as a hero really, because his good nature obligates him to protect the people that matter the most.

As for the whole Villian thing, Wrenmae could be a good example. Many already characterize him as a villian but they only see the things he does now, instead of the things that put him in his place. The way I see it Wrenmae became a villian without knowing he did, only because his intentions were for the good of Mizahar. That may not justify his actions, but that makes a good example to how one person can become a villian without the real intention to in life. Now there are the villains that intend to be "evil" as we call them, only because they have pure reason to back up how they came to fall on their path. This being like Anna, or Ignotus from what I've learned. There are many ways to make a believable villian or a believable hero for that matter, but what I find most interesting is how a villian can become a hero in the end if not close to it. Such transition on the moral scale can be interesting to witness as the character's story unfolds. :P

There's my part of the rant, hope it didn't sound too much like hogwash.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext