Completed [The Docks] Things Best Done in the Dark (Razkar)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Docks] Things Best Done in the Dark (Razkar)

Postby Edreina on August 28th, 2013, 4:13 am

86th of Summer, 513 AV
The Height of Leth's Watch

It was neither noise nor touch nor night terror that woke Edriena. Instead, it was absence of warmth at her side as a chilly breeze whistled down into the 'grotto's hold, sending a chill up her spine so fierce it could have been the breath of a great beast of the North. For the first time in the better part of a season, she had been sleeping without dreams, the bi-product of utter exhaustion as she distracted herself with days spent training at the Windmount upon Jorven and nights working at the Herald's Arms. When she woke and Razkar was not beside her, fear seized her heart, chilling her blood.

Having just woken from a deep slumber, rationality was not Edreina's cohort. Instead, panic seeped into her veins causing her to think the worst, blue eyes widened by terror. He left! He changed his mind! He-No... He promised and so it can't be... Despite the logic of the thought her flight up the ladder and onto the deck was frenzied.

What she saw nearly made her fall to her knees.

Razkar, safe and sound upon the deck of her ship. Wiping sleep from her eyes, the Svefra berated herself for such foolishness. She should not have let herself dissolve into hysteria so quickly. After a few ticks, a long yawn, and a stretch in the Lethlight, the sleep-mussed redhead was able to really take in the scene before her.

And, the similarities were uncanny.

Again he sat in the pale light of Syna's cold lover, upon a ship's deck, surrounded by various tools she could finally name and understand the use of when accompanied by bones. He looked surprised, but there was no anger or annoyance in his expression this time.

Without pausing, she smiled and walked to sit opposite of him, legs crossed and eyes wide as she motioned for him to continue, not knowing how far he was in the ritual. For an instant, she wondered why he always practiced the bone magic under the cover of darkness. Was he asham- Nah. Unlikely. Each magicked trophy was displayed proudly by the warrior as it accented his already substantial prowess.

But then she realized. Malediction, like so many things loved by Razkar, was best done in the dark...

OOCI'm sorry it's so short! I just wanted to get it started before season's end. Oh and I passed the half-mill! Whoo!!! :D
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on August 31st, 2013, 3:25 am

He didn't even know if the words would work, but then again, the only way he would know was if something... well... he wouldn't be in a position to worry.

He'd heard stories, though. Souls returned to bodies not their own, the owners unable to protect their minds... their djed... he couldn't imagine the horror of that, feeling everything your were, your sense and your waking eyes just... burned away.

Could words really protect that? Perhaps. Words conjured it, after all; words bound it and molded it. Then words would be his talisman that night, and it was only when Leth was at his peak, shining so bright in the cloudless sky that he was like a pale twin to his lover.

Razkar had turned his face to her and felt... something... on his cheeks. Not warmth, that fat man had no such thing to give the world. But there was a feeling. Never more than a feeling. The Myrian took a breath and closed his eyes, listening...

No sound from below. His woman was sleeping on their mound of pelts and her White Ra-... ah... fox kit, Navis, was snuffling gently, but she was not awake. That was good. He needed all his concentration for what he did.

It was a tiny, gentle but insistent sound. Somewhere between metal and stone in that strange, organic way that scrapes on bone always seem to resound like. At any other time it would have been lost, especially cupped in his hand as it was, but out here, with nothing but gently creaking wood and lapping waves around him... it was like nails on Razkar's mind.

Reminding him what he was risking. After half a bell, the words were barely drowning it out, tumbling from his lips in the mechanical but fervent way that prayers always seem to become after a while. Words were important... but the meaning behind them was more so, and they were not bound merely by letters or sounds from vocal chords.

The scraping stopped. Razkar placed the fourth claw down on the deck, next to its brothers. Each was six inches long, but the Myrian noticed onto the outer two were truly curved, almost around and onto themselves. Designed to hook and hang, rip and pull. The middle three were longer, straighter, but no less sharp. Bastard swords as opposed to scimitars, he thought.

Razkar smiled in the shadows he bent head produced, words not pausing. Of course, a weapon analogy would be the first thing to his mind. He picked up the fifth and final claw, turned the black, curved and still-sharp bone over in his hand...

"Glory to Myri... Glory to Myri... Glory to Myri... Glory to Myri..."

The Balicani. Huge, monstrous, it swept over their band like some demon from a dark and ancient place. But now he was holding five of its claws, all pulled from the front leg he'd taken as his trophy. The leg itself was gone, tossed over the side for Razkar had no desire to make money from scales or exotic bones.

He had all the bones he needed, right in his hand or arrayed before him.

His simple, whispered litany continued as he set the thin end of the file her used to sharpen his teeth against the black claw. Almost needle-sharp, it was his best (and, in fact, only) tool for this ritual, but it served him well.

The other four claws, gleaming in the Leth-light like black tears, each had a circle carved into them, near their broader, thicker base. Each one was large enough for a single rune, one word that he would use to summon and bind.

Razkar winced as he started to make a turn in his scraping, a quarter-circle already ground into the bone. He needed it deep, and that was the problem. The even greater one was that the ritual had yet to even begin, but fortunately she wouldn't be-

Creakin. Movement. Bare skin on wood and the steady progression of creaks that heralded...

"Shyke."

His litany ended with that crash discourse but it was below even a whisper, uttered before his eyes even swung up to see the bramble thicket of fiery hair that... Razkar couldn't stop the smile, the shake of his head.

Crowned by a torch even in the middle of the night. Only a Svefra.

All annoyance drained from him and he straightened his back. Goddess, he'd been crouched over too long, hands and fingers pressed close together for over a bell and...

The Myrian winced and shook his hand free, knuckles smacking together as he worked the cramp from his hand, file tinkling as he placed it on the deck. A shadow fell across him and then vanished, her lithe form folding in on itself as she crossed her legs a safe distance from him.

Razkar smiled softly, lifting his eyes to gaze at hers. They'd met on a night just like that one, with no clouds in the sky and Leth shining over all... he with claws from another slain predator before him. There had been a splash and this shining, water-dripping thing had grinned on the deck in front of him, interrupting his sacred and serious rite.

Goddess. Has it really only been two seasons?

"I thought you were sleeping." He chuckled before she could even answer, shrugging off his lame opening. "Not more, yes?" Her eyes flickered down and took in what he was doing. The Myrian's gaze followed hers... then looked back up without a trace of guilt of fear.

Razkar paused before answering, wearing the kind of smile he wore just for her, but the shadows cast long by his scars and piercings, the crown of messy hair over his forehead, made his sharp piranha-teeth glitter like jagged stones in his mouth.

"I am making a gift for you."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on August 31st, 2013, 5:20 am

"I am making a gift for you."

"A gift... For me?" The Svefra cocked her head to the side, eyes narrowed in curiosity. Without even a yip of warning, Navis hurtled up the stairs, skittered across the deck, and flung himself into his mistress's lap. If everyone else was awake, surely he should be as well. Bad enough that the dark-pelt was always rough-housing his mother late at night, making her yelp and whimper, showing him her belly in a way that made Navis think she might not be the alpha. But then again maybe she was not, the dark-pelt was fierce, his growl was even deeper than Navis's. Shaking once, from nose to tail, in a way that made his ears flap oddly, Navis circled in the red-head's lap before settling down, brown eyes watching the hunter as he played with a dead foe's claws... Why on earth did the two legs do that, he wondered, licking his own paw.

But, back to the Svefra herself.

At Razkar's words, she brightened perceptibly, grinning and attempting to stay quiet. Deep down, despite her drowsiness, the woman of the Sea was roiling with curiosity. She wanted so badly to ask him what he was making, but he had gone back to work, and she had already disturbed him once - twice if you saw it that way. And so, making every attempt to keep from fidgeting as nervous energy coursed through her veins, she sat, hands running over Navis's silky fur mindlessly as her eyes picked apart each stroke he made, hoping to glean some sort of reasoning.

Time lost all meaning as she sat, enrapt as the Myrian before her crafted magic from bones. When finally he laid down the last claw, odd markings made, hands opening and closing to work away the soreness, she smiled lightly at him. It was so odd to her, seeing Razkar simply sit and toil over something other than the edge of his blade. He had a patience she could hardly dream of. After the first or second claw, if she was feeling incredibly patient, the Svefra would likely have grown bored and gone for a swim were it her working. But watching was something different. Without a clue to his purpose - beyond forging something from the dying energy of a beast - she could constantly draw new conclusions as he continued, mind turning this puzzle over and over, noticing new pieces.

Perhaps that marking is for strength, or maybe speed, she would think, remembering from which monster those claws had come. Hopefully he does not mean to fly... she thought, suppressing a grin. Though she often heard others fantasizing about flight, she herself found the idea repulsive. Solid ground was bad enough. Open air? It would be the death of her. Sure, one could not drown in air but she would likely get distracted by a passing butterfly and forget to flap just long enough to send herself plummeting towards the earth.

Oh how a sleep-lacking mind wanders.

"Ink... or blood?" She wondered aloud, unconscious of the movements of her own lips. When her lover shot her a queer obsidian glance, she blushed fiercely, fumbling with her fingers over Navis's tiny paw. "I- I could not remember which comes next... Ink or blood." For a moment, she paused lip caught between her teeth. "Sorry if I'm distracting you... it is just so cold down there without you. I mean! I could go back down there and rest... or something... if you needed me to, it just... would not be as comfortable." Before she could ramble any further, the redhead shook herself physically, upsetting the kit in her lap for a fraction of an instant, cursing her river-mouth.

If he asked her to leave, she would do so promptly, without kissing him good night for she had already been enough of a distraction. If, for some reason, he allowed her to stay, she would be much more intent upon watching him, upon learning the motions that went into Malediction. Later, she would be able to ask him what each one meant.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on September 1st, 2013, 9:21 pm

"Ink... or blood?"

The question came later than Razkar was expecting. He knew the Svefra would have questions, but she was smart and polite enough to wait for him to finish the fifth and final claw before voicing it. He looked up and her words came stumbling out; even after all they had shared, she was still adrift and unsure around him in... certain respects.

Malediction was first and foremost.

But the Myrian just cocked his head and listened with a soft, indulgent smile. So much curiosity... Goddess, she reminded him of Aya. His mind recoiled at the comparison but truth was truth, after all. She wanted to much to know, to see and experience new things. Leaving the safety of the Suvan... he knew it would pain her beyond words, but she would do it.

For him, and because the world was a wide place she needed to see.

But not everything can come so quickly.

"Blood." He said simply, pushing forward something sitting next to him: his offering bowl. She had enough time to wonder why it was being pushed her way before he spoke again. "Your blood."

Blue, frightened eyes looked up at him and Razkar's steady gaze met hers. He figured this would be her reaction, but such a dangerous craft was not without risk. Besides which, it was an art of the wyrd that were rooted in blood, bones and death.

"If it will work best for you," he said slowly, pointing to her, then the claws and then the bowl, "Must be your blood. I could use my own, but... it would be like blade not made for my hand. Would work, but not work best."

Navis growled softly, as if aware on some animal level what the dark-pelt intended. The stench of the dead, gigantic predator was rank to his highly-developed nostrils, too, and though he smelled death on those curved pieces of bone, he knew instinctively what was still there was raw, natural power.

Such things, Navis knew to avoid.

"I will not tell you all, Edri. Just what you must know. Power of Bones is best taught by witches of wilds who know best. I am... still novice. Still use animals, not humans, Dhani... thinking things."

A gamut of emotions twirled across her face. Surprise, a mite of confusion, frustration that she was being told "no", even with good reason... and then, to his slow and loving smile... acceptance.

Another reason he felt as he did: she knew wisdom and safety when she saw it.

"Not put people we love in danger, Edri," he said, pulling something else from the bag next to him, "But need one more thing. If going to be bones for Svefra... need Fratava words, I think..."

He pushed over ink and parchment, tilting his chin so his gaze was ever more intense upon her, even in the shadows of darkness. She had to understand the importance of what would follow.

"Five words. Five... runes, like you see on me. Only have space for one for each claw. You write them, tell me what they mean. Then I carve onto bone... and fill with you blood."

The Myrian straightened up, face and torso and arms gleaming a dirty silver as Leth was able to reach more of him. Power and patience and stony resolve shone from him, and he gestured to the parchment.
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on September 2nd, 2013, 3:45 am

"Blood. Your blood."

The red-haired Svefra stilled, as any animal would, at the mention of harm. She trusted Razkar, she trusted him with everything she had. But still. Being hurt was never something she looked forward too. And it always seemed to hurt worse when one was expecting it.

"If it will work best for you, must be your blood. I could use my own, but... it would be like blade not made for my hand. Would work, but not work best."

There was that infallible Myrian logic.

"I will not tell you all, Edri. Just what you must know. Power of Bones is best taught by witches of wilds who know best. I am... still novice. Still use animals, not humans, Dhani... thinking things."

At first, Edreina was annoyed as his withholding information, his refusal to impart the knowledge for which she eternally hungered. After a tick, she was confused, caught wondering why he refused to tell her. He knew the process, did he not? Then, it dawned on her. She knew how to fish but did that mean she was confident enough to teach others? It was the same principle, just on a more dangerous situation.

"Not put people we love in danger, Edri."

A gentle flush of pleasure crept across her cheeks. Sure, neither of them had technically said in blunt terms "I love you" but they always hinted to it. Besides, the words mattered not to her, only the actions.

"But need one more thing. If going to be bones for Svefra... need Fratava words, I think..."

Were she not rooted into that spot by Razkar's gaze, she would have reached for the paper and begun puzzling over it, considering what words to use. But in that moment, her world consisted of eyes deeper than the night itself and a growling voice.

"Five words. Five... runes, like you see on me. Only have space for one for each claw. You write them, tell me what they mean. Then I carve onto bone... and fill with you blood."

As she was released from his spell, she nodded once, biting on her lip. The first rune was scratched out before her mind was aware of her hands's motions. The rune was large enough for Razkar to be able to see the nuances, but not so large that the rest would have to be shrunken down. After so long, Edreina spent a tick marveling over the beauty of her natural tongue... the way that it all flowed together. On the bone, she doubted that he would be able to replicate the curves, but the lines themselves would be the same.

"Strength of heart... of soul," the Svefra explained, holding up the parchment for a moment. "You rest while I write the others... It might take a tick or two." The look on his face suggested that her lightheartedness was distinctly out of place, so Edreina banished her smile and set about coming up with the other runes.

After a chime of sitting, motionless, hunched over the parchment, Edreina adjusted her position so that she was stretched out on her stomach, propped up on her elbows. A chime or two later, Edreina wrote two runes, one right after the other. "Strength of body," she said quietly, fingers following the flowing lines of the second rune almost reverently before sliding across the paper to the third. "Strength of... of conviction..." her lower lip was caught between her lower lip as she mulled over the rune. So far, all three looked nearly identical save for slight variations of the top line and the way that it moved into the others.

Ever so slowly, an image of what she was wanting was forming in her mind. The Balicani was not a complex creature, not something from whom she could gain greater intelligence, the ability to lie - despite how badly she would be needing that - or even the ability to intimidate. It simply flew and killed... and defended its territory. And that was what Edreina wanted from it. She craved the ability to have the confidence to defend those and what she cared for.

Strength of soul, so that she may continue even when all hope seems lost and the odds are stacked against her.

Strength of body, so that she may do her best physically to defend those she cared for.

Strength of conviction, so that she may know what she is doing to be right.

But the other two... they had to finish off her idea, her plan. Territory would be too obvious, would it not? Edreina sighed audibly, narrowing her eyes at the parchment, as if the patterns and whorls within the material would eventually form a rune. Eventually, she saw something, or perhaps it was just wishful thinking.

Protect, her hand was slow with this rune. Because it was so simple, the lines were very clean. She could have expanded upon it, describing what she would protect with a few more lines and curves. But, she wanted this one to be general. Being a Svefra, Edreina did not have a typical view on ownership. If someone needed something more than she, should she not help them out the best that she could? That idea worked when everyone had a sense of pod guiding their morals. These land-striders did not have such. They would take advantage of Edreina's kindness if she gave them the chance. She just needed a little nudging to actually stand up for herself and what she cared about from time to time...

Realizing that she had been silent for awhile after writing the rune, and that Razkar likely was expecting an explanation, she shook her head, sighing gently. "Protect." It was all she said, and she hoped that he would understand.

Her mind was already drifting to the last word... the final rune.

What drove the Balicani? What was the most powerful thing in its system?

Instinct.

That was the rune that Edreina finally lined out. She wanted the Balicani's instinct to bolster her own, to help her realize that those little inklings that ticked through her mind were right and that sometimes she should act upon them. If she had done that, Ekvan would never have gotten her alone on the ship, she would have run for the Knights. If she had done that, she would have started for Syliras earlier instead of walking along the Kabrin all leisurely, making her an easy target for the Drykas.

"Instinct," she whispered, mind consumed with all of the times that she had put herself and others into danger by relying upon her naive mind, not primal instinct.

Without another word, she would push the paper over to Razkar and sit in silence as he worked, motionless until it was time for her to wet the bowl with her blood. When that time came, she would do her best not to whimper her pain, to remain strong. For strength would truly be needed in what was to come. In a bell or so, Edreina would have to face the Balicani's shade.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on September 2nd, 2013, 5:29 am

His eyes were closed and his head bowed, mind turgid by what he had done and what was yet to do... and the sound of paper sliding across the deck woke him from his reverie.

Razkar's eyes snapped open and he saw the sheet before him. Five runes, wavy and soft in their edges where Myrian was hard slashes. Each with meaning and purpose that he had heard from her lips. The Myrian weighed each one as she spoke them, deciding... calculating, as best he could.

Are you really doing this? The voice was filled with doubt and it seeped into his soul as the chimes passed, eyes fixed on the paper. You know what you will bring about and call forth. You saw what it was, the primal energy-

That she saw as well, and helped to best. Do not underestimate her.

Some small part of him longed to move in frantic, definite action; toss the claws over the side, burn the paper, carry her back down to their bed and smother her objections with his lips and passion. Erase all evidence of dark deeds under the light of Leth...

Razkar ignored it... and reached out to stroke the written runes.

No. Such things do not birth victory.

Without a word, he took up his pick and the first claw, beginning his craft again. His lips moved and his voice murmured, body motionless save for them and his fingers, pick gleaming softly in the Leth-shine as it picked at the claw. His eyes flickered back and forth constantly, between paper and black bone, making sure he knew the shape well enough.

Strength of Soul

That took him nearly half a bell to do right. The Svefra's runes, her language... so much more... graceful, more fluid than his own. Where his hands would have gouged clear, straight lines, like the ones adorning his weapons' hilts or his necklace, or his helm, these ones required... nuance.

Razkar cursed softly and shook his cramped up hand. Control, too, and didn't that hurt like shyke?

The claw was put to one side after he blew off the excess dust, lips and pick moving again and on, second claw in his hand...

Strength of Body

Razkar smiled gently, shadows of his face hiding most of the gesture. She had picked her words well, and he was proud of her. He looked up, breaking his litany for a moment, and saw her moist eyes gleaming in the light, Navis curled up but watchful, suspicious of him as always.

Neither was going to walk away from him; both would stay to the end. Razkar saw resolution in her eyes, and... no... he couldn't fail that.

She will know the risk. The choice to be made. You will tell her, and... it will be on her head. That does not absolve you; it enlightens her.

Strength of Conviction

Another tiny chink as the claw was set down at his side. The third was picked up and now Razkar found his hands moving a little faster, surer. He was becoming used to the flowing, circular nature of the Fratavan runes. Edreina had told him before that they were not often used: the Svefra were so disparate and scattered by their nature that oral tradition was more important to them than writing. But when they needed to... they had beautiful language.

Protect

Razkar paused after finishing the fourth. Twas a strange thing, being weary in one particular part of his body... but as he paused, he realized the feeling was spreading. He rolled his head on stiff shoulders, grimacing as the balls of them cracked back into position. Dark hands clenched and opened, over and over, Myrian summoning feeling and sensitivity back into them.

He would need them. The Power of Bones was not only dangerous, it was precise. The smallest error would throw off the entire ritual, like a faulty screw dooming a great and complex machine to inactivity.

Once he was ready, Razkar picked up the final claw...

Instinct

Again that slow, soft smile as his pick moved and his lips curled around those words to his Goddess-Queen. Edreina: beautiful, naive in her way and innocent in others... but stupid? Blind? Definitely not. A long bell after he began, the peak of Leth's watch now grinding towards the dawn, the fifth claw was put down and he sighed.

"Now..." He said gently, placing one of his lakan over the bowl and looking up at her. "... for painful part. Need enough to fill in runes. You hand, Edri...?"

She gave it to him without a quaver, in her hand or her eyes. She was tense, unsure of what would come, but... yes, there as fear there. He expected that, and knew that all but the insane and suicidal had it in them when faced with events such as this.

But mastery of fear, that lay in acceptance it was there, would not leave... and acting anyway. Taking it by the throat and willing that it would-not-triumph.

In that was courage, and that was what he saw in Edreina's eyes.

Razkar ran the blade swiftly across her palm and she flinched, made some pained sound that cut at him like the blade did her flesh. A red line became a flowing crimson trail that pooled at her little finger and drip-dropped into the bowl, filling the bottom of it as his hand held hers... then reached around into his bag... and handed her a bandage.

"Patch your hand." He said simply, grasping his pick and sighing. "Now comes the boring part..."

Razkar dipped the end of the pick in the little pool of blood and began filling in the rune on the first claw. Bit by bit, fraction of an inch by fraction of an inch, until the end was dry and the passage of the pick no longer left behind a tiny trail of gleaming blood... and he refilled it again... went back to it...

Another bell passed. By the time the Myrian set down the final claw, Edreina could see the runes there nearly glowed with her own essence, winking at her with precious life-flow she had given for this endevor. Her lover produced a length of thread, thick enough for a necklace, and wove it through the hole in the base of each claw.

Each time he did, he knotted the wire behind and in front of the hole, so by the time he had finished, the Balicani's claws were not all clustered together, but spread out across maybe eight inches of the thread... enough the splay across her chest when she wore it.

Razkar held up the necklace, iridescent with blood and Fratava and dead, sleeping bones... then held out his lakan.

"Give me your other hand."

He pricked her finger. Just a quick, almost surgical flick of the curved end of the dagger, and she felt a sting of pain and blood bloomed on the end of her digit. It welled until the bubble could take no more, beginning to drip... drip... drip...

Razkar held out the necklace, waiting each time and letting a drop of her blood fall onto each rune, smack in the middle, staining and consecrating the ritual, binding her words with the Balicani...

The wind... it seemed to hitch, blow sharply and then still. Myrian and Svefra both stiffened as something caught their ears. Distant... or in the past? They could not know, but it was there.

Waiting for them.

For her.

"Life is choice." Razkar said eventually, though his words were so slow and smooth they were more like a nudge to her than the shock of words spoken abruptly. "Gods and the Fates have power, true, but so much of what we do is what we choose to do. We may think that all is out of control... but most times? We choose greatness, or deny it; confront troubles, or flee from them."

Razkar of the Shorn Skulls held the necklace out to her, bidding her take it and drape it around her neck. But now his eyes, hard and flinty, betrayed even to her honest perception a secret, hidden terror. A fear she would be harmed and her soul scarred by what they would conjure together.

"You must choose, Edreina. Take this gift and the risk it comes with... or deny it. The djed and soul of Balicani will be bought back to this world... through you. What it saw as it died, what it thought as it made anger, made final fight... all you will see."

Razkar extended his arms further, necklace dangling gently between them, seeming so... harmless... but radiating, humming, vibrating in his hand with a spirit clawing at the gates of the Next World and eager to be released.

"Will be hard. Will make terror in you soul. But if know you can defeat... then choose... and take."

Now... for the hard part...
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on September 2nd, 2013, 8:14 am

"Life is choice. Gods and the Fates have power, true, but so much of what we do is what we choose to do. We may think that all is out of control... but most times? We choose greatness, or deny it; confront troubles, or flee from them."

It was then that Edreina once more felt that odd shock of pride that came with getting to call Razkar hers. So many saw his terrifying visage and their opinion of him was restricted to that. But Edreina was one of those lucky few granted a glimpse into the stunning mind that filled his tattooed head. Because of the life he had lived, Razkar knew more choice, of greatness, and of trouble than anyone Edreina knew.

But, at the look in his eyes, the blatant fear marring his normally soothing ebony gaze. The Svefra barely resisted the urge to reach out and comfort him, to assure him of her strength. But words were only able to accomplish so much.

"You must choose, Edreina. Take this gift and the risk it comes with... or deny it. The djed and soul of Balicani will be bought back to this world... through you. What it saw as it died, what it thought as it made anger, made final fight... all you will see. Will be hard. Will make terror in you soul. But if know you can defeat... then choose... and take."

Edreina rose to her feet, lifting Navis as she moved. It felt good to be upright once again, relying upon her muscles. Holding him just under the armpits so that they were eye to eye, after smiling briefly, she leaned over and placed the Kit in front of Razkar, taking the necklace from his hands as she erected herself once again.

In her hands, it utterly hummed. No... it growled. What would happen when she put it on?

After a tick's hesitation, she leaned down once again to kiss Razkar soundly, attempting to reassure him in a way that words could not. With that done, she smiled, looking as lighthearted as she could, and whispered that he worried too much. Without giving herself time to doubt again, She lifted the necklace and slid it over her head.

Her world exploded in a sound of light that for years, she would not be able to describe. Leth was replaced by Syna in a tick, and Edreina by a monster.

She tore at the ground with her claws, loosing an enraged roar as her scintillating hide was torn once again by insects. Insects. INSECTS! They were not worthy of tasting her flesh nor the bounty of her territory! They did not fly nor could their breath consume an entire mountain! And yet, they had brought her down. Down to the no-tree-break-bone earth. Down as one with a dark carapace tore her leg away with his harder-than-bone-claw, crippling her.

Like scum they moved in a swarm, flinging their quills at her, bruising and piercing her skin. They were not worthy of fighting her alone! So they stooped, assembling and fighting together! She was strong enough to defeat them on her own! And when their bodies lay scattered like leaves that fell before a great gust, she would feast. She would gorge herself then return to her lair and lick her wounds, let her tattered wigs rest and heal so that one da she could fly again. And then, her scars, her mangled body would strike fear into those who came too close, send them winging off towards the South, where the last one had come from. For she was mighty. Again she roared, feeling venom gathering in her belly once more, in only breaths she would be able to destroy them once again, send their hides bubbling and hissing until all that was left were their stone-colored-shiny-scales and harder-than-bone-claws.

She whirled, ever inch of her beautiful, serpentine body in motion as she spread her jaws to-

Darkness.

But she was not dead.

Rage still pounded through her veins, tensing her muscles as she gripped... A tree?

For a moment she was confused, opening her eyes to see that it was night, that she was crouched upon some not-earth-floor, limbs coiled beneath her, tail la-

Her tail, she felt it not. Nor her wings. What foul trickery was this? Had she eaten the wrong berries again, as she had when but a hatchling? This could not be real.

But that beneath her claws- Paws? - it felt real. And so all of this must be real. It was that simple animal logic that flowed through Edreina's mind, utterly infallible and quickly accepted. What manner of creature was it now? One of those spotted cats it had glimpsed years ago? This new body was smaller, lighter, but incapable of flight. A movement in the shadows - or was it a shadow moving? - caught her eye, and her head whipped about, eyes narrowing and lips curling on instinct. It was the beetle from earlier, and it was in her territory again! She would not let it-

Stop! Remember who you are!

The Balicani faltered, settling back on its haunches with one spotted paw raised, pathetic claws poised to rip into his pelt.

Edreina shuddered from head to toe, feeling the Balicani claw for a place in her mind, attempting to fit its limbs into hers.

But she rebelled, growling quietly, body tense as the mental war raged. For several ticks, they were locked for control of this form, of her body. It fought her with tooth and claw and paralyzing mental screech. For several ticks, Edreina felt her control waning, her strength fading. There was no way she could beat the Balicani. It was too-

No. It was not. This was her body! HERS! It was but an intruder, attempting to wage a war on foreign soil. This form was Edreina's and she beat the Balicani at every turn, sending her soul surging in her fingers, up her arm and down her side, in to her toes, around and into her mind, blocking its urges from her thoughts until it was coiled, cornered, trapped just below her heart. As she closed in from all sides, they entered a deadlock as the Balicani lashed out, refusing to give up its petty stake.

And then, Edreina remembered Razkar, for she was his as much as he was hers. She could not lose her body, for she would be losing him. The Suvan, it was hers too, as it belonged to every child of Laviku. She rose in a great swell and overwhelmed the Dhani, sapping the final vestiges of its strength until her mind was able to capture it, despite its fish-like wrigglings.

You have fallen! she cried, tightening her grip. You have lost your body, and this is mine! Now submit! I will not relinquish my hold upon this form. It hissed and snarled and spat ineffective venom.

Strength alone, Edreina realized, would not work. Lend me your strength, oh Great Hunter, lend me your power so that I may protect what is mine. Lend me your strength and my eyes, my fists, they will become yours when I fight, when my voice must come as a growl that warns away intruders, it will be yours. Slowly, the Balicani's spirit began to quiet, subduing beneath Edreina's words as the Suvan would eventually wear away even the greatest stone. Slowly, it relaxed and Edreina allowed it to be free, to slink away and curl up beside the ember that warmed Edreina's chest, both awaiting a fight and her command.

Quietly, the Balicani slumbered and Edreina's necklace went cold against her skin. An almost imperceptible hum ran across each pointed, blood-stained surface, one that would only be felt by Edreina.

With a groan, Edreina fell back onto her rear, aware of the sweat that coated her brow and limbs, the fatigue of a battle that had gone on for ages seeping into her very being. But, her lips quirked in an exhausted sort of smile, one of satisfaction.

For the second time, the Balicani had been defeated.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on September 2nd, 2013, 3:22 pm

Was this what she saw that night? Was this what I became? And if it was... why didn't she run?

I would run... or I would have killed her. But she stayed...

History repeated and Razkar watched with every fiber straining against himself... forcing himself not to interfere. Bad enough two souls warring in one body; throw another into the mix, and all were at risk. Edreina's head snapped back the moment the necklace rested at her shoulders, so hard and sharp Razkar winced, sure she would dislocate something-

-only for her body to hurl itself forwards, hands outstretched, scraping hard at her precious oak deck, like... like...

Claws. It has returned.

His mouth opened and there was the slightest hiss of breath, but at that mere hint of sound her head snapped back up-

-Navis going flying from her lap, knowing instinctively that was no longer his mother, scampering downstairs and yapping all the way-

-black, fathomless eyes stared back at Razkar, so out of place in that pale, freckled face, but so familiar...

The Myrian stared back into the eyes of the Balicani he had helped destroy... held up one placating hand... and slid another to his gladius...

Fight it, Edri. Bend this desperate soul to your will, and let it not conquer you. For I don't know if I have the strength to destroy what may be left.

Only that was the problem: he did know. Her head lashed around as if it was being pulled, jostled, bounced between two huge paddles, her lips peeled back from her teeth, reptilian hissing issuing forth from them in and endless, hateful, confused litany-

-her gaze snapped back to him, "claw" raised and Razkar tightened his grip, one inch of iron sliding from his sheath in preparation for...

Nothing. Under her narrowed eyes, she stalled... and it was "she" again. He could see the struggle reflected in her eyes now, shimmering and sliding from black to blue as the two souls fought for control. But Edreina had the home advantage, as it were, and inch by inch... chime by chime... her hand lowered.

Razkar could do naught but watch and hated himself for his helplessness, just as he had when she was racked with nightmares he could not heal. But this... this was a nightmare of his own doing...

No. It is a gift. It will give her strength and power and ability, but it comes at a cost. Power always does.

There was a long, ragged sigh... and Razkar could have sworn he heard the echo of a growl from a second voice behind it... then Edreina slumped into her body. Her shoulders seemed to sink into her torso, her head bowed down so her chin touched her breastbone... and the necklace ceased to glow in Leth's light...

She looked up at the Myrian... and she smiled. Razkar let go his bade and lurched forward like a drunk, wrapping his arms around her and crushing her with his breathless relief, heedless of the film of sweat that covered her. He panted into her hair for a long chime, no words coming from his mouth, just knowing she was here and her... that was enough.

A growl from behind them and Razkar's eyes snapped back open, fearing some other shade had-

No. Not unless it had taken the form of Navis, peering over the top step but his subterfuge was ruined by the gigantic sail-like ears topping his head. Two pairs of eyes - one black, the other blue - turned around to regard him and a fit of nervous, almost giddy laughter washed over the shadows of the Goldengrotto.

"I knew you had strength," Razkar whispered, kissing her nose and cheek and finally her lips, pressing his forehead to hers and closing his eyes, "Enjoy gift. I hope it gives you what you seek... but now-"

She yelped sharply as he rose, hands cupped under her ass and lifting her with him-

-then throwing her over his shoulder like some damn caveman from the dark ages. Fratavan curses spat from her tongue halfheartely until Razkar rolled his eyes and leveled a swat on her rump-

-eliciting a gasp that was only half-offended. Something stirred in Razkar at the sound of it. Below the waist.

"Time for rest, I think," he said as he began to stomp down the stairs, steps all the louder for his extra weight, fang'd smile glinting when he saw the bed of pelts they were about to ruin. "Eventually..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on September 2nd, 2013, 5:28 pm

For endless ticks, she and the Myrian remained locked like that, arms around each other, breathing as if they had just run to Zeltiva and back. If felt so good, so safe to be back in his arms. Her lips found his neck and slowly assurances were whispered against his skin. She could feel his pulse racing just below the surface. It unnerved her to see how much her safety worried her lover, but also set an odd warmth spreading about her heart.

All her life, no one had really cared for her. In the Suvan, you did what you wished and simply hoped that the consequences would not be too high. To know that someone would be relieved at seeing her safe instead of shrugging it off... 'Twas an odd feeling for the Svefra.

They were snapped from the peace of their embrace by a territorial growl from behind Razkar. Immediately, they both looked for the source, then relaxed when it was found. As usual, Navis did not fancy seeing his mother at the mercy of a savage beast. One of those odd, breathless laughs was shared between the two lovers and, as if to spite the little creature, Edreina found herself being pulled up into the air, and then slung over his shoulder like a trophy.

Every manner of Fratavan curse - hinting at his parentage, his courage, and even his sexual prowess - was hurled at him as Edreina flailed slightly, pounding against his back. When he swatted her on the rear, she stilled, caught between a gasp of surprise and one of pleasure as his fingertips danced ever so close to her-

"Time for rest, I think... Eventually..."

The Svefra's insides wiggled gleefully at the growled tone of his voice. In a tick, an idea struck her, spurred on by a quiet growling deep within her soul. "But Raz... I think I'm too tired tonight."

Oh, the look on his face as he set her down was priceless. Somewhere between concern - She had never refused sex before. Perhaps the Balicani's soul had taken a bigger toll on her than he realized... Perhaps he should let her rest - utter disbelief - Edreina refusing sex? - and the crestfallenness any male would exhibit upon having to still their pounding loins. Were it not a part of her plan... Edreina would probably have caved beneath such an odd look.

But instead, she led him over to the bed, moving slowly, dreamily in an attempt to play up her fatigue. A glint in her blue eyes, that was the only warning Razkar received before she turned, gripping him by the wrist and tugging so quickly that he had no choice but to fall onto his back utterly helpless-

As his female crawled her way up his body, eyes smoldering as she straddled him slowly, coaxing his arms up over his head and keeping them there with one of her own hands. He could break her feeble grip at any moment, but in that particular one he was either too surprised or too enthralled to do so. With her free hand, Edreina ran over the sculpted muscles that made up his arms, his shoulders, his chest... Only to hesitate at the top of his loincloth, face and body painfully parted from his as she tormented him, arched over his form though she was.

Mine.

The word was the spark that ignited the Svefra, setting her body ablaze. This Myrian was hers... And all territory should be marked...

Distracted as he was by the gentle motions of her fingertips at his waist, Razkar offered little to no resistance as Edreina nudged his jaw, exposing his neck. Soft kisses came first, feathering across the sensitive skin of his throat. When finally her lips found the point at which his pulse was strongest, she fasted her lips around him and sucked gently, knowing the motion would echo in his manhood. Sure enough, the gentle touch of her fingers detected the most mild strain against his loincloth as she continued.

Baring her teeth in a feral smile against his neck, arching her back so that her chest was pressed lightly against his, Edreina reached between her legs and, agonizingly slowly, freed him from his meager garb. A gentle gasp escaped her lips at the feeling of him, so hard and warm as her fingers slid about his girth. Unable to hide her primal joy, Edreina bit at his neck gently at first, then harder, squeezing him in her hand as wanting consumed her, making it so hard for her to continue this assertion of dominance. She wanted nothing more in that moment than to release him and allow him to claim her as he always did.

But, she was being driven by instinct. The urge to assert herself as a mate worthy of the warrior was too strong, and Edreina all too willing to succumb to it. With deft fingers, Edreina slid her own linen underthings away, positioning him at her center, but granting him no access to her core. This was the game she would play. Each time he tried to arch upwards and claim her, she would avoid him, lifting herself. Each wave was preceded by a trough just as each attempt he made was given away by a tick in his musculature. Between each attempt, she would taunt him, tease him with her body, with her lips at his neck and her fingers about him.

When finally some animal part of Edreina was able to recognize the change in his prone posture as he, on some subconscious level, submitted to the whims of the female, Edreina finally claimed her territory with a sharp, high cry that was immediately followed by a growl that could not be categorized as entirely human.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Radiant on October 7th, 2013, 10:22 am

Edreina :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +1 XP
Drawing +1 XP
Acrobatics +1 XP
Seduction +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Edreina The Worrywart
A Gift From Razkar
Malediction: The Basics
Malediction Runes: Strength Of Soul, Body, And Conviction; Protect, And Instinct
Battle Inside The Mind

Loots
Necklace Of The Flying Serpent: When worn, The Balicani's fierceness would invade Edreina's mind, making her highly resistant to fear and intimidation. However, with each chime, her sentience would gradually be taken over by primal reptilian instinct, making her act more and more like a Balicani than human. Removing the necklace dispels all of the effects immediately.

Razkar :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Malediction +3 XP
Carving +2 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Gift For Edreina
Maledicting Balicani Claws
Mental Battle: Svefra vs Balicani

Loots

Notes :
Amazing thread, guys! I love the detail Razkar put into the malediction and that mind battle Edreina had. :D :thumbsup:

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)