Salvaging some scrap

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Salvaging some scrap

Postby Rowland on December 12th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Code: Select all
Character Name

Appearance

Race: What's your race?
Birthday: Day, Season, Year.
Birthplace: Where were you born?

Appearance: What do you look like?

Character Concept

Let's talk about you some more.

Character History

Tell me all about your past, baby.

Language

Fluent Language: Most fluent language here.
Basic Language: Fill me in, if you want.
Poor Language: Fill me in, if you want.

(HELPFUL HINT, Please Remove - Practiced Languages: Common)

Skills

Skill EXP Total Proficiency
Skill 1 # SP # Novice
Skill 2 # SP # Novice
Skill 3 # RB, # SP # Competent

(HELPFUL HINT, Please Remove - Common Skills: Trade skills related to Crafts and Arts, Magical Study, Religion.)

Lores

Helpful Lores: (Pick 2)
Lore of Lhavit Streetplan
Lore of Lhavitian Culture
Lore of History of Lhavit
Lore of Religion: Syna
Lore of Religion: Leth
Lore of Religion: Zintila
Lore of Religion: Tanroa

Possessions

-Simple Shirt
-Simple Pants
-Simple Undergarments
-Simple Cloak or Coat
-Simple Boots
1 Waterskin
1 Backpack which contains:
-Comb (Skyglass)
-Brush (Skyglass)
-Soap
-Razor
-Balanced Rations (1 Week’s Worth)
-1 eating knife
-Flint & Steel
100 Kina

Heirloom: Fill me in, please! (HELPFUL HINT, Please Remove - Max. 50gm worth)

Housing

House: What does your home look like?

(HELPFUL HINT, Please Remove - A description of permanent housing can be found in The Solar Wind Apartments. Permanent housing can be obtained through The Cosmos Center.

Other locations for permanent housing include:
1. Towers’ Respite – Students only
2. Shinyama Monastery – Shinya only
3. The Three Towers – PM a storyteller to have residence added.
i. The Dawn Tower
ii. The Dusk Tower
iii. The Twilight Tower

Temporary housing is available at the The Shooting Star Inn.)

Ledger

Purchase Cost Total
Starting +100 Kina 100 Kina

Thread List

Link your current & past threads here!
==================================
The Alvadas Circus: Circus Development Thread
Rowland
The man behind the curtain behind the man

Words: 34729
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2013, 8:47 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Salvaging some scrap

Postby Rowland on December 12th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Rowland

Appearance

Birthday: Day, Season, Year.
Birthplace: Lhavit

Appearance: What do you look like?
He dislikes his appearance and always wears a quicksilver-colored robe and a mask and hood. Rumors abound that he was disfigured in a magical experiment gone wrong. Other rumors claim he is wanted man hiding from the Syliran Knights (or some such authority figures). Other rumors claim he is a rich and powerful man who is incognito. Those are all just rumors, mostly that he himself started. Actually, he has blemished skin because he eats chocolate so he hides his face.

It is clear from what can be seen that he has dirty blonde hair and grape green (CCFF66) eyes, he is skinny and above average height, and he has a high-pitched Lyric Tenor voice
such as might be found among the plantation owners in Kenash. This can be attributed to a life spent with his grandmother, mother and sister.

Character Concept The current character concept is that Rowland is a male citizen of Lhavit.

Character History

His grandmother was some sort of mage of at least minor repute, enough so that her journal was sought after. She taught her daughter some of the ways of the world, and of the occult and arcane, and they both taught Rowland. Just before our story begins, they both cast a summoning spell that went wrong and were sent to Fyrden, the planet of minions, and were killed by a Pascid.

Language

Fluent Language: Common
Basic Language: Nari
Poor Language: Isur

According to the map, Lhavit is near Wind Reach and Sultros. So it stands to reason that Rowland would have picked up a bit of Nari and Isur, respectively.

Skills

Skill 1 # SP # Novice
Skill 2 # SP # Novice
Skill 3 # RB, # SP # Competent

(HELPFUL HINT, Please Remove - Common Skills: Trade skills related to Crafts and Arts, Magical Study, Religion.)

Lores

Lore of Lhavit Streetplan

Possessions

-Simple Shirt
-Simple Pants
-Simple Undergarments
-Simple Cloak
-Simple Boots
1 Waterskin
-Comb (Skyglass)
-Brush (Skyglass)
-Soap
-Razor
-1 eating knife
-Flint & Steel
100 Kina

Heirloom: "Gunilla's Greatest Secret." An average book. This book is a journal of a teenage girl's life. She was apparently Rowland's grandmother. Apparently she grew up to be a mage of some repute and so the book was valued at 50 gm, as it was rumored to contain 'her greatest secret,' and so everyone assumed that it was some powerful magic spell, but really it was written years before she learned what Djed was and talks about nothing but boys she has crushes on. Her greatest secret is that she slept with the boyfriend of Rowland's great-aunt.

Or wanted to. The book is a bit unclear on the matter, and some of the more mature parts appear to be doodled on by Rowland's mother with such comments as "Ugh, mom!" and "No! Just no."

Housing

(HELPFUL HINT, Please Remove - A description of permanent housing can be found in The Solar Wind Apartments. Permanent housing can be obtained through The Cosmos Center.

i. The Dawn Tower
ii. The Dusk Tower
iii. The Twilight Tower

Ledger

Purchase Cost Total

Thread List

None yet-- starting 1st of Winter, 513 AV

Rowland

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Salvaging some scrap

Postby Rowland on December 13th, 2013, 1:14 am

Rowland

Appearance

Birthday: 1st of Winter, 495 AV.
Birthplace: Lhavit

Appearance:

He dislikes his appearance and always wears a quicksilver-colored robe and a mask and hood. Rumors abound that he was disfigured in a magical experiment gone wrong. Other rumors claim he is wanted man hiding from the Syliran Knights (or some such authority figures). Other rumors claim he is a rich and powerful man who is incognito. Those are all just rumors, mostly that he himself started. Actually, he is ashamed of his family, and desires redemption.

It is clear from what can be seen that he has chocolate hair and grape green (CCFF66) eyes, he is skinny and above average height, and he has a high-pitched Lyric Tenor voice such as might be found among the plantation owners in Kenash. This can be attributed to a life spent with his grandmother, mother and sister.

Character Concept

A human wizard, a lifelong resident of Lhavit, who grew up in wealth and luxury but has lost it all. Rowland is very nosy and curious and almost rude in his desire to know everyone and everything. ( Not sure if this character has the proper mindset to worship Eyris, but definitely someone who would respect anyone he meets who does worship her. ) And then he writes it all down. However he is not critical, and will invariably write compliments and flattery.

Character History

Many decades ago, his grandmother was some sort of mage of at least minor repute, enough so that her journal was sought after. She taught her daughter some of the ways of the world, and of the occult and arcane, and they both taught Rowland. They taught him a little of everything, so that he could decide what branch of magic he himself desires to pursue as an adult.

Very sadly, his family was among those who grew rich and powerful 13 years ago when the two Eth left; they had drudges and slaves and Deks and Kinas and Mizas and ties to a Councillor seat, and now that's all gone. All gone. His family was stripped of its title and robbed of its wealth, and thus Rowland never uses his last name if he can help it. With the rest of them killed or exiled, now he's alone and down to his last 100 or so Kinas and has to consider getting a job.

Rowland sees the Winter Masquerade Ball as a chance to make a new impression without being judged on his face or name. Let's see how it goes.

Language

Fluent Language: Common
Basic Language: Nari
Poor Language: Isur

According to the map, Lhavit is near Wind Reach and Sultros. So it stands to reason that Rowland would have picked up a bit of Nari and Isur, respectively.

Skills

Auristics 15 SP 5 Novice
Hypnotism 25 SP 5 Novice
Morphing 10 SP 5 Novice
Acting 15 RB 15 Novice

Potential list: Acting, Astrology, Copying, Cryptography, Disguise, Intelligence, Investigation, Leadership, Meditation, Negotiation, Observation, Politics,
Impersonation, Interrogation, Persuasion, Rhetoric, Stealth, Strategy.

Possible interest in at least finding out about:
Familiary. Flux. Leeching. Magecraft. Webbing.

No interest in: Spiritism, Malediction.

(Well, this is my scrapbook, not the CS review forum, so of course I'll be pondering which potential skills to take. I think it would be silly to spread out my skills like this, but I'm going to ponder a bit on which would actually be true to the character concept now that it's becoming more and more clear.

Lores

Lore of Religion: Eyris

Possessions

-Simple Shirt
-Simple Pants
-Simple Undergarments
-Simple silver-colored Cloak
-Simple Boots
1 Waterskin
-Comb (Skyglass)
-Brush (Skyglass)
-Soap
-Razor
-1 eating knife
-Flint & Steel
100 Kina

Heirloom: "Gunilla's Greatest Secret." An average book. This book is a journal of a teenage girl's life. She was apparently Rowland's grandmother. Apparently she grew up to be a mage of some repute and so the book was valued at 50 gm, as it was rumored to contain 'her greatest secret,' and so everyone assumed that it was some powerful magic spell, but really it was written years before she learned what Djed was and talks about nothing but boys she has crushes on. Her greatest secret is that she slept with the boyfriend of Rowland's great-aunt.

Or wanted to. The book is a bit unclear on the matter, and some of the more mature parts appear to be doodled on by Rowland's mother with such comments as "Ugh, mom!" and "No! Just no."

Housing

Ok, going to take a break for supper, and will work on Housing next, plus will winnow down some skills, and will find a more appropriate star/moon/suns border.

i. The Dawn Tower
ii. The Dusk Tower
iii. The Twilight Tower

Ledger

Purchase Cost Total

Thread List

None yet-- starting 1st of Winter, 513 AV

Last edited by Rowland on December 23rd, 2013, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rowland

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Salvaging some scrap

Postby Elysium on December 15th, 2013, 3:27 am

Hi there!

Since you asked me to look over your sheet, I did.

Isur isn't really spoken outside the kingdom, so I'd pick another language. Likewise, your appearance doesn't match that of the dressing style of Lhavit. While I understand your character may be an eccentric, running around in a mask and quicksilver cape will make him stand out like a sore thumb. Finally, the Towers were only stripped of their official political power. They were not stripped of their wealth or robbed of their titles. The only execution was that of Weisur Twilight. All others weren't even remotely affected, so unless you request permission to be a member of one of the three Towers, your history doesn't fit.

Finally, you've put five points in almost every single magical discipline there is. You can't justify that vast base of knowledge by having a grandmother who was a mage of minor repute. In the interest of game balance, I'm going to say just no. Likewise, a magical journal as an heirloom would weigh in at hundreds of kina, not fifty. So it isn't eligible as an heirloom. Unless it is really just a regular journal, which is relatively unspecified.

Once you've taken care of all that, let me know. Everything else checks out.

Elysium

e
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Salvaging some scrap

Postby Rowland on December 20th, 2013, 5:59 am

All right, so what happens if someone likes a character except for the Skills, Lore, Housing, History, Concept and Appearance?

Well, one has to accept that the entire character needs to be scrapped for the city it was intended. I shall create another character for Lhavit, as Elysium is worth playing with.

And I shall tinker with this character and send it elsewhere, a place where it would be a better fit.
Rowland

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Salvaging some scrap

Postby Wrenmae on December 20th, 2013, 5:08 pm

I...am going to side with Elysium on this.

Starting with that many magical disciplines but no other employable skill makes you a crappy wizard...and nothing else.

Trust me, mate. You want a competent skill in something employable. Magic can be learned. Arguably, Projection and Reimancy would be the more important to begin with (As they require an actual initiation) and the rest can be learned as you go along.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Salvaging some scrap

Postby Rowland on December 24th, 2013, 1:58 am

Well, you're the boss of me, --or will be once I'm in the Scars-- so I have to trust that you know what you're talking about.

At any rate, I'm still switching characters around. This wacky masked character is going to Alvadas where such whimsy will work-- thought I'm jettisoning all the skills and making him a bard, I like the history of a man seeking redemption and wearing a mask; such a phony works better in Alvadas.

Once my Help Desk ticket retiring my first account goes through I'll have room to go back to working on a more appropriate character for Lhavit. (I have a Kelvic , a thief, this bard, a squire, and a WIP mage for Lhavit.)

In other news, for those of you who are religious, secular, simply enjoy giving gifts or just enjoy the spirit of the season, Happy Holidays!
Rowland

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Salvaging some scrap

Postby Rowland on December 24th, 2013, 2:00 am

Hold on, editing this post.