The Evil Professor Is In. (Anna's Scrapbook)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Annalisa Marin on November 10th, 2013, 8:20 pm

I haven't used this as much as I should but I figured I'd utilize it to make something of an announcement. My first NaNo on Mizahar has been... interesting, to say the least. I used to do NaNo in my school Creative Writing class, always thought it was rather fun, stressful but fun. It was rather thrilling to just write for the sake of writing, to just keep pumping out page after page of whatever story I had wanted to write that year. It was different than on Miza as I needed to start from scratch on everything, setting included, from within my own mind. I loved it every single time and completed it every single time. It wasn't because of competition, not because I wanted to 1-up XY and Z individuals, but rather because I wanted to feel like I accomplished something.

I like writing just for the sake of writing. I like playing on Mizahar nearly as much as I like writing my own things. Its fun. So when I found out that the site did NaNo I naturally decided to toss my hat in on it, to see how the forum format would differ from my other writing. It has, both in a good way and a not so good way.

I've realized that I've become a little too competitive this November, I don't know when it started I just know that I'm tired of it. I don't want to cause OOC drama or hurt the feelings of others. That's why I've decided I'm just going to get my 50,000 done and ignore the rest after that. I don't care about getting more than that, its the goal set forth by the site and its the goal I had every year in that class. I'm tired of the mentality of winning something or losing something. Its wearing on me, which I fear has reflected on Anna IC which is utterly unacceptable.

Will I keep writing and posting after 50,000? Sure, why the petch wouldn't I? Its not going to be about some stupid high score though, its going to be what it should always be about. Having fun with other PC's, collaborative storytelling, fleshing out and keeping Anna organic and ever changing.

Now then, as an ending to this post I want to take the opportunity to apologize to anyone that might have been effected by this competitiveness of mine. Especially if it has in any way reflected IC. You deserve better from me when we thread together.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on December 28th, 2013, 8:51 pm

So I recently played a couple of games that a bunch of people have been telling me to play, namely Portal and Portal 2. They were certainly fun puzzle games, but what stood out to me was the characters and the dialogue. Below are some videos I found with some good highlights from the dialogue in the game, though if you intend on playing the games at any point in the future I'd recommend not watching these. They contain some spoilers, hence why I put them in spoilers. If you don't care then feel free to watch them. :)

Secret :

Secret :

Secret :
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Eldritch on January 21st, 2014, 7:43 pm

Gods, I'm apologizing for a number of things in this scrap, I guess I should just rename this the apologist's scrapbook.

*ahem*

So. I feel I should explain my inexcusable actions regarding gnosis threads. I believe I shall start with a bit of background. As many of you may know my main PC is Annalisa Marin and the city where I first started her in was Zeltiva. My experience there as a PC has helped (or hindered in some cases) how I act as a mod. I looked at the previous administration and said that I wanted to be different. I didn't want to be too busy to help people go to where they wanted to go. Read that again, help people. Really, how many well intended extremists have started with that being their goal?

I also told myself that I wanted to actually challenge people, that I wanted them to work for what they wanted. This was mostly because I've seen a slippery slope were a mod shows favoritism and grants favors, it didn't look like anything I wanted a part of. Like at all. I wanted to be unbiased as I should be, to grant myself the right degree of detachment. Unfortunately, as I look myself in the proverbial mirror I see a hauntingly familiar image peering back at me and it sickens me.

This brings me to my original point, gnosis threads. Wrenmae, whom everyone knows and likes around here most certainly, came to me and asked for me to help him try and attain his second mark from Rhysol. The other mods were relatively busy at the time according to him, so I made the first mistake right there. Think about this, a second mark is a rather big thing really in the grander scheme of things like really big for a PC to gain. I'm one of the newest DS' on the site, so perhaps it would have been best to simply decline, to let older and more knowledgeable heads than I to handle this thing until I was much more comfortable. It all comes back to wanting to help people though, so I opted to stop questioning myself like I had been doing previously and accept this and go forward on my own judgment.

The most damning thing about this whole thing wasn't the reasons I wanted to do this, though you know what they say about the best intensions. No the most damning thing was the mediocrity I followed through in it, I gave less than a hundred percent when doing this which should never be the case. I made it too easy, I shied away from trying something to challenge Wren. The worst thing you can possibly do as a mod and I did it. Really, great job there Eldritch.

So, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to a number of folks. First and foremost I would like to apologize to Wrenmae for me giving you less than you rightly deserve. Next to the Founders for doing poor justice to your creations and violating the spirit of Mizahar as a whole. And lastly to the PC's and my fellow Storytellers, you should be able to expect more from me than mediocrity.
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Wrenmae on January 21st, 2014, 7:55 pm

It's alright, Eldritch.

I hold no ill will toward you. I like to think that everything is a lesson moving forward, and I will take this as one to.

Sorry to put you in a position like that...and as much as I'd like to go in, scoop out the goop, and re-approach it epic-style, I understand if that isn't in the cards.

Ultimately, I want everyone to have fun in Mizahar...to plot, make plans, and weave all of us together into a story...I'm sure we've all gotten the message pretty clear on future threads of any type, eh? :P

Let's put our best foot forward.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fubuki Kouri on February 25th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Anna! Just wanna visit my wonderful OOC plotting partner and IC Adoptive mother.

I want to stay thank you for giving Kouri a very solid reason on why she would stay indefinitely in Sahova whereas (IC-ly) she would leave as soon as she got Rena back. She had enough of the 'wonderful' magical fortress. With a loving mother and Grand Oath binding her, what kind of perfectly sane little girl would want anything else? :D

Aaaand, here's a gift for ye. I found this theme quite fitting for the Evil Chaon Sorceress! Ominous Church Organs FTW!

"common" | "vani" | thoughts

Important Note: I'm not accepting new threads unless I promised you beforehand, I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused.
Fubuki Kouri
The Sorceress' Daughter

Words: 784291
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on March 20th, 2014, 5:53 pm

So as I'm sure some of my thread partners have noticed, I tend to prioritize threads to some degree. Perhaps it seems unfair to some, but that is just how I've developed in doing things. That's not to say that I will prioritize without any deviation, sometimes I might feel more inspired to write for a thread lower on the priority list. Below is a pretty rough idea of how I do it.

Moderated threads/Quests: These are most often always highest on my list as I have no desire to waste a Mods time or energy, so I'm always active in my replies to them.

Major plots with other PC's: I don't like holding other people up from something important we plotted so these threads definitely are important and high up here. Examples are things like, buying a PC slave, initiating someone into a magic, or otherwise a major shift in a PC's life.

Casual/Meet and greets: Meet and greets are relatively important to making new contacts. To forging new plots with more PC's, as such they are still pretty up there on the list but lower than the others.

Dreamscapes: Dreamscapes are generally threads I do for the fun of it and generally I feel that there is no real rush in doing them. Anything can happen in them after all, so I'll generally place it on the lower end of the spectrum.

Flashbacks: Flashbacks are on the lowest priority simply because they can't really be Grandfathered and are much more leisurely.

Now, this is not to say I'll excuse a thread I have let sit wait for a month. If I keep you waiting too long I'm often in chat or you can reach me through PM, so give me a nudge and I'll get a reply up to you as quickly as I am able. I just figured this might be a good thing to get out there in case some of you were put off by my posting habits, now you know why some replies get out faster than others. I'll try to do them in order, but often it does not happen that way.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me for one day so I'll just end this here. :)
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Annalisa Marin on April 1st, 2014, 6:04 am

The Law is the Law, but is it fair?

Right so this has been eating me up for a while and will get a little ranty, so do bear with me.

So, I recently, well by recently I mean a month ago or so, ended up getting pulled over for the first time. I was speeding, going about 47 in a 35 MPH zone at night no less. There was a police car behind me, though I couldn't exactly tell through the headlights. The blue lights flared up and I felt my heart skip a beat, knowing exactly what that meant. So I slowed down so they knew I wasn't planning on speeding away, and then pulled into the closest place I could which happened to be a Taco Bell parking space.

My father had always impressed upon me that when it comes to dealing with the police they are looking for cooperation and a smooth procedure, to the first thing I did after parking was to go through the glove compartment and get out the vehicle registration. I had been taking my father's car that night, so it was registered to him. I then got my license out and sat there waiting for a minute, going over what I needed to say and do in my head.

The officer comes up to the window, I roll it down and make eye contact and then he introduces himself and asks the usual question. Did I know why I was pulled over, did I know how fast I was going, ect. I answered him calmly that I did, he then starts asking what I was doing up this way and where I was coming from and where I was going. I answered again honestly and as fully as I could, while making sure not to blab on too much. I answered what I was asked, clearly and concisely and nothing more than that.

So then he asks for my license and vehicle registration. I hand the both to him and he seemed pleasantly surprised that I knew the whole procedure. My father drilled how to handle traffic stops or pull overs very carefully to me, figuring it was better to be prepared than not. I give him all due credit for that and it probably got me through this relatively smoothly.

So anyway, he looks over the registration and my license, asks if its my vehicle, if not who's it was ect. Again I kept my answers short and concise, as calm as possible though I was really nervous on the inside. Hey, it was my first traffic stop, who wouldn't be nervous sitting in a Taco Bell parking lot when just one police car is flashing blue lights behind you. Well, you can then imagine how nervous I became when another car rolled on up to check things out.

Then he asks a question I didn't expect, he asks if he can search the car. My father had never covered that little bit of info in his crash course, so my first instinct was to simply allow it. I didn't want to cause any reason for suspicion, I had already been pulled over after all. So the officer goes and runs up my information and I sit there, paranoia starting to come into my mind. I wondered if maybe my dad had left any prescription medicine in the car, after all if you don't have the prescription with you they can haul you off to jail for that. I was worried as I sat. And I waited. And I waited some more.

Then the officer comes back and asks me to step out of the car, so I do it so he can search it. Then once I do, he asks if he can search me. My kneejerk response kicked in and I just agreed to it, put my hands behind my head and let him pat me down and search. I could feel my heart pounding in my ears, I was pretty scared by this point to be perfectly frank and honest. Like 'Oh my god, this is really happening to me' kind of scared. It kept up my exterior of calm but on the inside my gut was wrenching, it felt so wrong to me for this to be happening.

The officer tells me to go sit on the bumper of his car, so I do so while he searches the car. His partner, an older guy, was there and so with nothing better to do I struck up some light small talk. Cracked a joke or two with him, shared a few chuckles. It was mostly so I could try and keep some comfort with the situation, to just try not to break down like I really wanted to do. Oh yeah, I definitely didn't want to go home and tell my father about this and show him a nice traffic ticket. But I kept calm through that little bit of interaction. I like to think it was the jokes, the laughing. It reminded me that these guys weren't some faceless arbitrators of the law, they were normal people with normal lives just like me. They were human.

So after a while the officer searching the car comes back and tells me everything looks good and hands my things back. I was a little stunned and about to ask him about the ticket, like an idiot that didn't know a good thing when it hit him, when he seemed to read my mind and tell me not to worry about. Then he reminded me of the speed limit along the road, then they got in their cars and drove off.

I drove the speed limit the whole way back, fuck those bastards behind me trying to hug my ass to get me to go ten over.

When I got home and told to story to my brother and father they took it in, a little surprised by the search and the fact I got off with no ticket. My dad thought over it for a while and then looked me up and down. IRL, I'm not much to look at, I usually don't care over much about my appearance. I gravitate towards grey colors clothes and have longish messy hair, as well as scraggly facial hair that makes me look like Joe Dirt. So my dad commented that perhaps because of how I looked, something of a 19 year old hooligan, they wondered if I might be up to something.

That made a bit of sense to me really, I mean I'd been in car when my dad got pulled over and he was never asked for a vehicle search or personal search. It irritated me a bit that I was stereotyped like that. Other than a school referral or two, I'd always been an okay kid. I followed the rules and laws for the most part, and even though I was going over the speed limit I didn't feel like that warranted a search like that.

So, I talked to my mother next and told her the story. Now my parents (divorced) are two completely different people in how they think. My father, whom I grew up with most of my life, is very logical. He thinks over issues and straddles the fence until he has enough information to make a judgment call. He's a thinker, he only acts when he feels its prudent. He's slow to change. I think he influenced much of my thinking honestly, to which I do not be grudge.

My mother though, is a little more... passionate. She's an opinionated person, she picks a side she herself can agree with and stands by that decision stubbornly. She's more a doer, she likes to get out and work and try new experiences and see what she can see.

When I told her about this she got pissed off, saying I shouldn't have let them search the car or me in the first place. That I shouldn't have let them walk all over me. I can see where she was coming from, protecting personal rights and all that. I didn't agree with her though, I still don't to be perfectly honest.

Going back to my logical thinker mindset I figured it was because I allowed it, because I was so cooperative that I got off relatively Scott free. If I had refused, then great, I'm protecting my personal rights however I'd still get a ticket. Not only that but I'd imagine that refusing that, while within my rights in the State of Virginia at least, would have aroused some suspicions. So as far as I'm concerned what happened was the best possible outcome.

Personally though? Without logic and if it was just emotions? I'm pissed off I suppose. I'm pissed that they asked to search the car and me possibly because of my age and how I look. Isn't the law supposed to be fair and equal for all under it? Maybe this is a little optimistic to think, but can't we all try and look past appearances? Maybe give people the benefit of the doubt that just because a person is in a certain age group, because they look a certain way doesn't mean they are a hardened criminal in the making? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Maybe it was because of how I looked, or maybe the officer searching me, a younger guy, was just going through the motions. I don't know, all I know was that it just felt a little unfair. It rubbed me as being wrong personally as I would believe as a person, outside of logic. I dunno, I'm just a 19 year old guy with very little life experiences. I do know that this particular experience has made me a little more jaded towards the system though, though those are just my thoughts and you can take them how you will.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on April 1st, 2014, 6:39 pm

Before I type, forgive grammatical issues because I'm on my phone. :P

My parents are much like yours! My dad is cool and logical while my mom is passionate and quick to action if the urge strikes her. Because of this, I've personally learned to temper the two by applying logic to a situation and then making a decision so I can act quickly. It's worked rather well for me thusfar

Both of my parents are military, so I was taught early on the value of authority and having police officers and other civil servants in a community. Their job may not be glamorous and it may piss a lot of us off, but it also is what defines a society and keeps us from falling into anarchy. I agree that many officers can lord their power over others, but that is a minority.

Profiling, while annoying, is not entirely groundless. There are certain cultural traits tha distinguish certain types of people. These vary all over -where I live, a green snap back and large white or black jacket can mark you as a meth dealer, especially if you're on the wrong side of the lake - and it is unfortunate that you fall into one of these stereotypes, making authority more wary of you. But, such is life.

I feel that you were right in the traffic stop. You were upfront and accommodating. If you had resisted, it would have looked like you were trying to hide something. It is never a good idea to look suspicious when you can avoid it. So they checked your person and your car. Better than the ticket they surely would have given you had you not proven yourself. A lot of times, traffic stops are able to stop major crimes - smuggling and etc - just through a regular search. There are stories where I live all the time about drugs being found in a car because an officer felt suspicious after pulling a car over for something as simple as a busted tail light.

Now I'm rambling. Anyway! Hope I made sense. Oh did the right thing, and don't worry about how you look like a "hoodlum". XD

Also, be happy that you didn't get a $150 ticket for going 33mph downhill in a 30mph zone.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on April 1st, 2014, 9:01 pm

I totally agree with Edry on this! Maybe it's a military brat thing, but I was always taught that anything the police does is rarely about an individual, and more about protecting the populace. It is the job of the police to protect the general welfare of the people, and if I'm being honest it actually makes me feel safe to know that the police in your area are being as vigilant as they are.

Profiling might seem like a bad thing to do, especially since we've been drilled over and over again that judging someone based on their looks and succumbing to stereotypes is a terrible thing to do. But these officers have nothing to go off of besides their first impression of you in the first 30 second interaction they've had with you. They have no way of knowing that you're a great kid who's never caused any trouble in school and whose definition of "fun" includes cranking out a novel's worth of wordage in a month. They have to use their best judgement in the moment, and it's what they've been trained to do. In this case, the officer felt it was better to be safe than sorry -- and I think that's commendable! (Do you know how many officers down here would've just shrugged and let you go without even making sure you weren't actually up to anything? That's the kind of thing that gets me worried! :P )

Anyhow, better stop myself before I get off topic and start making zero sense whatsoever. I guess what I'm trying to suggest is that, rather than getting angry and feeling jipped, be proud that that officer was doing all that he could to protect his community. :)

Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Words: 178647
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 1st, 2014, 9:48 pm

If someone asked me if they could search my vehicle I'd hand them a broom, a dustpan, and a garbage bag and wink... saying something like... "Do you mind cleaning while your under the seats?" I always go with the flow with cops. They have hellish jobs and really they aren't the AHOLES everyone makes them out to be. If they search you cause you look like a punk druggy in grunge and aren't.. let them. Surprise them. They almost always 100% of the time reward you. I'd definitely rather have no ticket, no mark on my record for letting a cop take five minutes and search. I don't have anything to hide.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext