PM to join [The Quay] Fresh Scars (Pulren)

Two gang members meet and collaborate to defend against some rival thugs.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Quay] Fresh Scars (Pulren)

Postby Kaie on February 22nd, 2015, 9:29 pm

The battle was no different from the others, but the satisfaction she earned from this one in particular was intriguing to the savage. It was almost...clean. Too clean, she speculated almost suspiciously as the back of her free hand dabbed at the fresh, instant bruising on her face from her combatant's shield. She gave a minor wince. That's going to swell... Amber eyes shot toward Uncle, brow raising when she heard the scurrying feet that signaled the chase. In a tick the man was downed and slain by the wicked tines of the trident. The Myrian offered one final glance toward her own fallen foe. Crimson continued to flow with gravity down his body to the earth, dying his brown pants and shirt in a striking red. She'd turned him into a rather messy ordeal given the usual cleanliness of the Quay's courtyard. Well, as clean as a Sunberth courtyard could be anyways.

"A clean kill," Kaie offered toward Uncle with an approving nod. She made her way toward him, meeting the man half way. For a few ticks she stood there. Eyes wandered from her fellow Scar, to Syna, then to the dead. Breathing had returned to a resting rate. One more off-handed nod and she finally conceded to sheath her gladius. "This is not just a headquarters. This is Web and Bitzer's home. We ought to get rid of the bodies, dump them over docks into the sea...or maybe leave their mangled corpses in the streets as a warning. " She gave a passive shrug. It was a rare thing for her to actually deal with the dead. There was never a sense in burying her enemies in the wilderness when she'd picked them off, nor in the streets of the shyke hole city they were in now. The dead already littered the alleyways.

"I don't know how your ax-man was, but the two I killed didn't seem well trained. They weren't necessarily shyke fighters...but they didn't strike me as the types who could readily afford their armor. Makes you wonder if they acted alone, or if someone outfit them." The words "we" returned to her mind again. She'd taken them as empty threats and the bluff of a man dying in vain. The way people backstabbed each other in the city left her unsure. Their leaders had always been clever enough to make a show before the public, giving some ideological speech that made some hopeful and others mock it over ale a few bells later. Was their public image strong enough to merit sweeping support, or fuel enough disdain to bring armed amateurs crowding their portcullis?

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on March 4th, 2015, 3:19 am

Pulren looked to Kaie, returning her nod with a smile. "Clean is the only way, short of rapists. I let them linger before Dira, penance and all." Looking down at his kill, he noticed the complete lack of feeling in it. This was something new since arriving in Sunberth, something he had to sort out before he tried putting the Guardsman uniform back on. The way the spoke was cordial, even among the detritus of battle. It sounded like a pair of bakers speaking about the messy flour of confections.

Her next words made sense, so Pulren reached down and took the ax man by the legs, considering how wet and messy the top half was. Dragging him along, the thump and bump of his chin across the cobble, he mused on the topic. "Well, I say let's feed the fishes. I think we get plenty enough attention. The stink of Sunberth is bad enough as it is." With an ungracious splash, one was in the water floating and slowly sinking. Bending down to wash his hands in the brackish water, he added, "Your skills are amazing, Kaie. Is that something you learned from wherever you came from? I am guessing not here. No, scratch that, I know it isn't from there.

Standing and wiping his hands off on his pants, he approached her, his eyes on the armored swordsman. "It would be a shame to cast off that valuable gear. I agree that someone probably paid for it and it looks like they spent some miza on it. Why not reap some reward for our trouble? Naked bodies sink as well as armored ones." He was starting to talk like a mercenary. Was he one? If not, another season in Sunberth would seal the deal.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Kaie on March 4th, 2015, 4:06 am

As far as the suffering of rapists, that was surely something the two could agree on. There were few crimes as hated as rape in Taloba. The matriarchal race, as the stories go, had discovered that nasty head of patriarchy long before the rise of Myri the Merciless in a jungle of divided savage clans. It was outlawed the tick she came to power. Even in her most ethnocentric of moments abroad, not even Kaie could let the notion come to pass. More than once she'd found herself getting into trouble in some dive bar to intervene. In the end, she decided, each laceration and bruise was worth it. "I hear your sort fears little other than death. I hope their lingering was a long one. I'd bet Dira was grateful for it," she agreed as she moved toward her most recent kill.

The Myrian stationed herself with her back to the corpse, crouched down, and gripped the man by the calves. He was shown no more respect than Uncle's. Armor clunked and banged along with the back of the man's head upon the earth. Amazing? she questioned with a bit of a frown. She didn't quite know about that. Just before she pitched him, she stopped at her fellow Scar's logic.
"Might as well get some coin for our trouble, right?" Kaie dropped the weight with a sick thud and moved to the bloody mess of his neck. Fingers moved fearlessly down toward the bloody upper body, searching along his shoulders for any sort of strap to free the breastplate.

With a flash of a kukri from her back's kukri harness, the leather bindings there and toward the waist were cut free. They can be refitted. The breastplate opened and the top half clattered beside the dead, unshelling him like a turtle. The chainmail was a bit rougher to get at. There was a bout of cursing, tugging at the dead man's arms, and yanking of the metal until it did retire to come over the man's head. Then she was quick to ditch the body in the bay with a boisterous splash. Amber eyes glanced back down toward the bloodied armor and she conceded with a shrug. A little cleaning and someone will be quick to buy it. If not a commoner, then a Dragoon recruit. Maybe the sword and shield, too. The savage trudged back to the final body of the crossbow woman. With an obvious disdain for the weapon, she knocked it from her way with a swift kick of her boot. Then she dragged the unarmed slain assailant, and rested her too in the watery grave with her brethren.

"You're right, I did not learn to fight here," Kaie finally addressed his previous questioning, dodging the praise more out of uncertainty for its merit than rudeness. She crouched down and washed her hands from the edge of the dock, scrubbing until the bronze flesh was pure once more. Eyes closed for a moment, a few words muttered in silent Myrian, and when she'd convinced herself her hands were truly clean, she rose again. "My father taught me since I was young in Falyndar. Taloban soldiers after him. The rest I picked up sparring, or on my feet when the fighting became very real when I traveled out of the jungle." Kaie turned to him then, gesturing toward his trident and armor curiously. "And what about you? You're a damn good fisher of men after all. Who taught you that in Zeltiva? And what's a fisherman doing with decent armor?"

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Pulren Marsh on March 7th, 2015, 1:50 am

Pulren's sort. It was an interesting concept. Vigilante, maybe? He had never met any of the famed and whispered group that haunted Sunberth. If he stayed in the rat town, he might have to try to ferret them out and see what their ranks had to say. He simply smiled and nodded at what he took as a compliment. He did indeed fear Dira. Anyone who didn't was too stupid to realize the importance of fearing Her. Sure, accept your time when it comes, but don't go around welcoming it. Was there anything else he feared? "Paperwork. Filling it out. I can read and write well enough, but I fear filling all of the blanks out. It is certainly not something I look forward to. Other than that, yeah, Dira."

He watched as she got to the business of stripping the opponents of their armor. The swordsman was the only one of any real worth, so he stood by to assist if necessary. Spotting the archer's crossbow, he went and picked it up to add to the pile of pilfered goods. "Yeah, I mean even if we get a small percentage of the value, it is all a profit over nothing. If it buys me an ale to drink and lament for my injuries, I say it is a success." He laughed heartily. What else could he do after so much murder? Her next words brought some terms of interest in for Pulren. Geography, a subject of interest to the Zeltivan. Also, any topic that wasn't martial was always a keen point of interest to him.

He waited for her to wash her hands, noting that she remained there for some time. Hygiene was important to her. That or the fact that she was always caked in blood could suffice as a reason as well. "Falyndar? Taloba? I am unaware of these places. Where are they? Zeltiva instilled a love of geography into me. In fact, that is why I initially traveled to Sunberth, so I could see the places I had read about." If he had only known, the blood and filth. If the truth of Sunberth were written on those pages, no one would ever visit it again.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kaie on March 13th, 2015, 1:46 am

There was a genuine perplexity upon her face when Uncle went about implying his fear of some dreaded business called "paperwork." Though she did not voice her ignorance, her mind churned along with the concept.

Paper? How could anyone be afraid of paper? Was he afraid of making the paper, or just paper in general? She shook the thought away. Another aspect of the barbarian world that was lost on her despite how long she'd spent time there. Eyes watched him carefully as he lifted the crossbow from the ground. There was a tightness in those amber hues.

"Enough for a drink? Can't say I'd complain about that," the Myrian jibed with a twitch of a smile gracing her lips at the thought. She could feel the weight in her water skin still and her lack of intoxication was a sure sign plenty remained. Later.

"Falyndar is a jungle back west past Syliras, Endrykas, Riverfall, and across the Suvan Sea. Taloba is the crown jewel of Falyndar and the throne of our Goddess Queen Myri. These places are home to me," Kaie explained simply, a certain longing entering her expression in light of her very definitive explanation. She studied Uncle for moment, considering him. Then she offered a hearty laugh and a sure shake of her head. "Falyndar is the last place you'd want to end up, Uncle. One trip would be all you need to lose that love for, what was it you called it? Geography? I may be able to stand your kind's presence, but my kin will not. We don't trust outsiders there, and we take no prisoners."

A single glance down at her palm absently was all it took. The same hand flashed to the water skin, and she wasted no time finding solace in the wine. Bitter was perceived as sweet to the savage. When she'd taken her fill and swallowed the alcohol, she offered it toward Uncle.
"Love for geography. That's an awfully strange reason to wander to this shyke hole. You have a death wish or something, too?" As patronizing as the words could've been perceived, her tone was anything but. There was a genuine curiosity, a seeking of understanding upon her face as she tried to piece together the man she was growing to respect before her. Yet would he relent to his innocent grilling?

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Pulren Marsh on March 23rd, 2015, 5:08 am

She'd be very satisfying. Yes, that drink surely would. Pulren licked his lips in anticipation of such a wet, frothy delight. The rush of blood was subsiding now, leaving cooler heads to rule. His hearing was returning to normal, the thrum of his heartbeat relaxed. He could refocus on her words, especially as they formed new words.
New concepts. New places to add to the Zeltivan's knowledge of the world of Mizahar. He would commit it to memory as he had with the black eyed doctor, compiling it all when he returned to beloved Zeltiva.

Falyndar is a jungle back west past Syliras, Endrykas, Riverfall, and across the Suvan Sea. Taloba is the crown jewel of Falyndar and the throne of our Goddess Queen Myri. These places are home to me.

Just like that, a wealth of names and exotic locales had been freely given to him. He knew too well how powerful knowledge was. In some cases, it was almost as reliable as battle was to Kaie.

Falyndar. Jungle.

"Goddess Queen Myri? Is that your queen's title? Is she actually a Goddess? I heard that sound come from you when you fight."

Endrykas, Riverfall, Suvan Sea.

His current knowledge of the placement of these places could help him guess at these new locations as well as the others he had half learned. He liked how she spoke of him as an outsider, when he himself had thought of her as a savage. "Geography is the study of lands, features and inhabitants of Mizahar. I appreciate your ability to stand my presence." He smirked and bowed in thanks, laughing. She was drinking her skin and offering it to him, which he happily took and imbibed a stiff glug himself, happy to blur reality for a moment as they stood in the blood of their defeated rivals.

Handing it back, he pondered her question. "Death wish? I don't wish for it. I pray Dira passes me over until I really deserve to go. I try to send two in my place each time I think I should go myself. One day, though." He shrugged, looking over his shoulder and up at the sky in a pensive manner. "Want to get some money and some more drink? I could die today knowing I had the evening with you." He didn't know how she would take what he said, but if she thought to kill him, he had just made his offering.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kaie on March 26th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Is she actually a goddess? The Myrian woman couldn't help but grin in amusement at that notion. This man Uncle was turning out to be a relief compared to most Humans she'd come across. Whatever ignorance or prejudice he possessed, he didn't display it before her. Didn't shoot her that blatantly distrustful gleam in his eyes. Never once did she catch his fingers tightening on his weapons when she neared him. Instead he was nothing short of absolutely curious in nature. His genuine interest in her homeland was surprising just as well as it was refreshing. Kaie gave the man a slow but assured nod. The rise of her brow was enough to make her sincerity clear.

"Of course," was the simple answer she offered him at first. When she recalled the myths and legends conjured by outsiders from Taloba, however, she thought an elaboration was perhaps necessary. "She rightfully usurped the title from the previous God of War Ruros as a mortal. Defeating him earned her divinity and we accept her as our sole leader, too. She marks each of us after our Rites of Passage with her blessing." Bronze fingers brushed her hair over to one shoulder. When she turned a bit away from him, he would catch sight of the strange marks upon the back of her neck. It would appear as if she was once viciously clawed by some massive feline, and yet it would not quite fit that of scarring. The Myrian traveler let her hair fall back to conceal the blessing, and faced the man head on again.

Following his explanation and slight mockery, Uncle earned an easy laugh from the savage. She gestured toward the spot in the water they ditched the bodies.
"It's an acquired tolerance for sure, though I suppose most things are," she joked while the man took a swig of wine from the skin. When it was returned, she capped it and let it hand loose at her side, concealed beneath the cloak again. His musing upon Dira were more thoughtful than the average fisherman. She'd known some from the Drunken Fish who would spit at the thought, but never would they go so far as to curse the Goddess of Death. It could only be assumed they feared Laviku would heed her wishes and take them in some massive swell of the sea.

"You're smooth for a fisherman,"she stated with a flash of her teeth. Her boot knocked against the loot nearby, which gave a protest in the form of a metallic rattle. "Besides, I've never said no to a drink, especially after a decent battle with good company. How about we get some worth for all this and put the Mizas to good use? If you're lucky I might even buy you a drink!" Kaie crouched down beside the pile and began to lift the chainmail first. The links hissed at her as they ground against one another. A bronze hands beckoned him amicably over. "Help me get some of the blood off this so we can find a good buyer and get ourselves some ale."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 5th, 2015, 4:08 am

Her answer was as simple and straightforward as Pulren's question to her. It took him aback, actually, that a mortal defeated a God. Trying to wrap his head around the concept of a warrior of such prowess was more than he could handle. He just shook his head and blinked. "A human warrior defeated a God in combat. The God of War even. That's just..." He exhaled sharply in a kind of disbelief. Not actual disbelief, however, as that would have been rude to the Goddess in question.

It wasn't lost on him as she brushed her hair away, revealing the appearance of scars that were prominent and yet impressive in some vague way. It reminded him of the healer marks of Aoren and S'Essy. Those marked by the Gods were truly blessed in Pulren's eyes. Her eyes and smile remained bright, even in the aftermath of such carnage and violence. He laughed along with her retort, clearly appreciating her acknowledgement of his candor. Work came first, however and he laughed along heartily while gathering up the weapons and armor to give them a quick dunk in the briny waters of Sunberth. He was almost positive that the waters had tasted the substance before and would again.

As he used his hands to wipe away the remains of the losers, he added, "It might very well be the first time a lady bought me a drink. You are definitely a lady, no denying that. You are also a warrior through and through. You'll have to show me some of those move sometime." Once everything was clean, he stacked his share of the weight up and the pair headed off toward sweet mizas. "I hope you know a good fence."

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kaie on April 8th, 2015, 12:45 am

There was no denying her pride then. The Myrian grinned broadly, nodding earnestly in light of Myri's most notorious victory. Her voice took on a serious tone in the next tick. "Yes, it is impressive, a mortal defeating a God of War in his own realm...but Myrians are not Human. And Myri was no ordinary woman," Kaie was quick to point out as the two gathered and cleaned the weapons and armor.

The water chilled the metal and made her fingers almost quake with the cold. Not even a glance was given to the cloud of red that mixed into the water in their wake. It had been some time since she told anyone of that story. The very notion brought back memories of her mother and the tales Shantiwa would tell her as they wandered Taloba. The young woman was troubled to find she could no longer picture her mother's face so clearly in her head anymore.

"Thank you, and maybe one day we might do each other a favor and spar? You're good with your trident. I'll bet some of your skills would help with my spear work." Kaie shrugged as they headed off to sell their loot. Part of her hoped whoever that someone was that repurchased the goods, it was the same one who supplied it to the thugs in the first place. She flashed a grin at Uncle. "Haven't you heard? There's no shortage of fences in Sunberth!"

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shakune on May 12th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Kaie
Skills
Rhetoric +5
Deduction +2
Philosophy +1
Planning +1
Tactics +3
Stealth +1
Acrobatics +3
Intimidation +2
Weapon: Gladius +2
Leadership +1
Endurance +2
Teaching +1

Lores
Washing away non-existent blood
Self: Missing the jungle heat
Palaren Marshall: Zeltivan fisherman
Palaren Marshall: 'Uncle'
Myrian culture: those who kill together, drink together.
Tactics: The element of surprise
The waiting game
Tactics: Speed over Weighted armour
Intimidation: Bared teeth
Tactics: The need for speed in battle
Fear in the form of words
Sunberth: full of the dead
A clean kill
Post-battle pride
Uncle: Scared of paperwork?
Myrian Pride!

Misc.
Injuries: Several cuts, scrapes and bruises. Most will heal within 14 days.
+55GM for sales of stolen acquired weaponry/armour.

Just an FYI: I awarded the philosophy point for Kaie's consideration of the lack of discipline in Sunberth :)

Pulren Marsh
Skills
Weapon: Trident +4
Weapon: Shield +3
Tactics +2
Rhetoric +5
Observation +2
Acrobatics +2
Intimidation +2
Running +1
Endurance +2
Geography +1
Anthropology +1

Lores
Shield hold: Handle facing downwards
Kaie of the Cutthroat Shadows
Kaie: An equal warrior
Myrian clans: Not like Sunberth gangs
Shield hold: Defensive, shield up in front.
Tactics: The element of surprise
Kaie: A force to be reckoned with.
Observation: Military vs. non-military training
Self: Sunberth blood
Sunberth: full of the dead
A clean kill
Post-battle pride
Falyndar: A jungle
Falyndar: East of Syliras, Endrykas & Riverfall.
Falyndar: Across the Suvan Sea
Myri: Goddess-Queen of the Myrian people
Myri: Usurped her throne from Ruros
Myrian ritual: The Rites of Passage

Misc.
Injuries: Several cuts, scrapes and bruises. Most will heal within 14 days

+55GM for sales of stolen acquired weaponry/armour.

PLEASE NOTE I'm going to PM a storyteller regarding the profits made by Kaie and Pulren in this thread. I believe as a grader, I'm limited in what I can award in terms of mizas, and I don't want to palm either of you off with less money than what you deserve. I'll PM you both as soon as I know what you've earned. Thanks for the patience! :) EDIT: Prices added to grades (See 'misc')

I really enjoyed this thread. I'm rubbish at writing conflict/battle scenes, so it was really good to see it done well. I picked up on a few tips, to say the least! If you have any concerns about your grades, don't hesitate to send me a PM. Also, please remember to delete your grade request.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 281911
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous