PM to join [The Quay] No Turning Back (Fallon and Zandelia)

Where do you turn when there's no where left to go?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Quay] No Turning Back (Fallon and Zandelia)

Postby Fallon on February 18th, 2015, 11:08 am

It was slowly and gradually that Kaie once more eased herself down, that pause between the words of both that she needed to register herself, accept and respond to. Orvin continued to give a bemused look, even as she sat down - long and hard before he finally return his head to his paws. It was hard, Fallon could see that now, the mind ablaze and worrying. It was a natural reaction, but as alcohol slowly seeped its way in to relax both body and brain, it would ease off. Or worsen, Fallon had yet to decide. Still, she remembered Zandelia's little snippet of words and the muttered answer in response. No, there was nothing to do other than listen to the sound of crackling flames and the heavy words that came with it.

"To breaking chains," Fallon gave a raise of her drink before downing the contents. There was a gasp as the harshness of it burned at her, a cough and a splutter as it burned at her lungs and stomach, "May we not be restrained by them." Still, it was an interesting perspective on the topic in question, the nature of survival and

"Dey-hans?" Fallon tested the word, slowly letting it roll as she tested it before moving on with a shake of the head "A good way to define survival. I see it as a drive, that beating pulse and will to live and fight against what is before you - if not just for yourself, then the family." She gave a flicker of a glance to Zandelia then, gaze softening as she drunk the woman in the firelight. It was gently, with her free hand that she reached over, the smallest nudge of knuckles into her cheek before withdrawing, "Careful, you'll get wrinkles... or break the tumbler." Her gaze gave a glance down to the clenched hand and then at last pulled away to set her attention back to Kaie.

"I may not understand the Myrian way correctly, but would what you did then be an act of survival regardless of the light you bathe it in? But, if one Myrian looks to harm another, is it not allowed to dig your heels in and protect yourself?" she pinched her brow then, her mind trying to understand such a concept, "Everything happens for a reason, a lesson to learn or something we ourselves need to learn and understand. And... they are not my people." Her gaze sharpened then, "My people, my family, are those I choose - the Scars, for example. To me the rest are other humans, or maybe not even humans. Call it a strange perhaps, but that is how I see things. Race, colour, creed, not important. It's who I pick. Because that's the only option I have."

It was as Kaie leaned back in her chair, the gesture flickering between. Her eyes narrow, back straightening as she heard the words drip. Her jaw set for a moment, an attempt to gain a reading on what she was getting at. Her eyes darkened, lips pursing into a line as she let the question repeat in her mind. The gaze slid over to Zandelia, the cogs of the mind going round as she tallied up the words. Could she do it? Draw a blade? Betray her love in a cruel fashion? For what reason? For her own life to be spared only to forever live in the heavy weight of guilt? Self loathing, disgust, something that would only cause her ruin in a life that she would no longer deem worth living.

Fallon spoke slowly, the words directed to Kaie but her gaze not once lifting, "I would sooner gouge out my own eyes and slit open my stomach to offer my organs to Dira, than do such an act," the tone was distinctly firm, "Maybe you would frown at that, scorn it even. But that is the way I am. And I will not budge from it, for I could not live afterwards, not with such... It is just as I would let her cut me down should she have to, and in some cases I hope that would do so should I become... uncontrollable." Her gaze moved away then, eyes looking down into her cup. Empty, the glistening rim catching her attention for the moment, "Perhaps a more cheerful topic will be better."
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zandelia on March 1st, 2015, 10:00 pm

“Hmm?” she mumbled the noise at the touch to her cheek, gaze flicking to the two women then as her concentration was broken, “I have enough wrinkles I suppose, though there wil lalways be more tumblers” she stated as she snapped out of her reverie.

She had still been listening of course, she was not so lacking in manners that she would sit and be ignorant of another's pain – especially one she considered a sort of family member. She had simply been turning it all over, picturing the images that kaie was asking her to imagine, keeping it in her mind;s eye and trying to conjure the emotions she would feel. It was not difficult, it felt like a deep pit of dank, rusty depths. The kind of pit the seemed to have smooth sides and that if she fell into it she would never escape its contraints throughout the rest of her lifetime. She had felt it before, distant memory of a hopeless place, a place filled with naught but pain and suffering. Endless in its chores and trials, never letting up, never seeing you worthy enough for s hort rest. She blinked and came out of her own mind, she knew not how much of it had played upon her face. She looked at the other two and licked her lips, clearing her throat before responding.

“I will not insult you by telling you what you already know,” she paused to drink and steady herself before pushing on, “but I can tell you a story from my own past that will hopefully show you that though one can think they are damned beyond reconciliation tha tit is not always so” she looked at the fire once more and breathed deeply.

“I was taken by slavers when I was twelve, hiding under the bed whislt my mother died for me. It had been my father who had sent them. Had sold us to them. And so I was alone. A dank emptiness where all there was for a time could be described as torture. For such a young girl, orphaned and alone, I had to do much that nearly broke me. I will spare you the details...you can imagine...I'm sire” she wet her mouth once more and dared not look at Fallon for losing her resolve.

“Then there came another little girl, a child younger than me and more helpless by far,” she smiled fondly then, how times changed, “and she gave me a reason to keep living. To protect her, as my own. To give love in a world that held nothing but hate. To spit in the face of my captors, sometimes actually doing so, to prove that they wouldn't win. In any world that held hopelessness, pure hopelessness, I would have sold that young girl down the river to ease my own life. But I didn't” she did look at Fallon then and took an unsteady breath as she processed and then quashed the emotions that had risen their heads curing her talking.

“So you see Kaie, family is sometimes not all that it should be. Hopelessness is not always undefeatable. I would enver kill Fallon, not even if it meant I lived. I undersand your pain, believe me, perhaps more than most. I made sure my father died for his betrayal, with help from Fallon here,” she placed her hand upon the woman's shoulder, “and you have laws, no? What would your people do if one of their own put your life at risk? Would they let them do so with no punishment? If he were to capture you in your jungles and hold you against your will would your people meekly stand by and say that he could do so?”

“Somehow I do not think so. Surely if he had any respect for you, and love the way you seem to hold for all of your people, a true Myrian you mgiht say, then he would not have done as he did and kept you against your will. So you see...family does not always live up to its name. And sometimes...Deyhans...may surprise you and do so” she finished, clearing her throat again and pushing herself up.

She walked to the bottle and picke dit up, filling her cup and then doing the same for the other two. She didn't interrupt the silence, what she had said was heartfelt but in many ways might not have made much of a difference. She didn't like the idea that Kaie was distraught over killing someone who had seeme dintnet on torturing her, or wrose. Yet then again she knew little of Myrian ways, perhaps that was the key to it. Not to mention that it was, as Fallon had indicated, a jollier subject than death and gore. Perhaps talking it out would help soother Kaie.

“Yes, happier things. You hold your home in high regard Kaie, I can't say that I fault you. Tell me about it. I seem to recall you saying that women held power over men as standard practise. You say you want to go home, so why don't you? Surely you have friends that could help you achieve that? I could do so. Why have you never asked?” she leant against the edge of the table and looked down upon the both of them with a warm gaze.

It was quite nice, despite the way it had come about, to have a visitor and friend sat before the fire and just...talking.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kaie on March 6th, 2015, 4:18 am

The choosing of bindings. That was the curious challenge life abroad had thrown at her, and it was a concept that took the savage far too long to grasp. Trust was hard won and loyalty more so, yet the latter had proven unwavering when it was assigned. The world had taken on a sort of split reality. Besides her beloved deity, people and clan took precedence. They raised her, cultivated her skill and spirit, earned her life long service and devotion in return. They were long gone, however. Since she had wrestled with her prejudices and stigmas about those around her. It had taken true time to see through that thick veil of ethnocentrism, and when she finally had, she found herself sprung head first into the company of the Scars. Never once did she look back. But where did the weight fall when the two entities were placed on either end of a balance scale?

She gave a grunt of agreement and drank leisurely after the toast. Fallon had proven steadfast in her resolve, her answer no more or less than Kaie would've expected from the woman. The same went for Zandelia. Perhaps it gave her hope that none would make the same mistake, or better yet, that they would prove more creative and capable of a happy ending solution. Nevertheless, the Myrian had fallen contently into silence once. Amber eyes began to drown in the sight of the alcohol in her cup. That's when the story began. So very quickly did her troubles seem minuscule. Or was that a by-product of that growing empathy she had toward the individuals before her given their recent histories together?

Still the anger came, the bubbling protest against the injustices of one's past a young Myrian in the future simply could not alter. Those eyes flickered respectfully upwards to the speaker. They drew away from the inner, dark abyss to project an air of thoughtfulness instead. The stage was directed back to Kaie with a straight-forward question she needn't think long on to know the obvious answer. An answer even an outsider to Taloba knew plainly. No, they would not stand for it. You know that. She pursed her lips. There was a murmur of thanks when her cup was refilled. Those inner cogs continued to turn, and turn, and turn, until finally...

"You remember the Djed Storm?" Eyes flicked between the two Scars leaders. Of course they do. "My clan resides in the jungles, defending the outskirts of Taloba. The last Myrian I ran into told me that those outside the city vanished like that when the storm came." She snapped her fingers for effect, brow arching at remembrance of the notion. Kaie could see him now. Razkar, and the flicker of emotions that betrayed him for a tick when she'd confessed she'd been absent from their homeland in its darkest bell. Traitor. Deyhan. "Even if most survived it, I fear I will not be welcomed with open arms," she confided rather shamefully, finding refuge back in the cup in her hands. "My father laid down his life for mine as your mother did for yours. And for what? So I could sight see? No. When I return, it will not be empty handed. All this? It will not be in vain." Maybe that's why I've run to the very opposite corner of Mizahar. Looking for something I can't quite grasp.

There was a turn in her emotion, an anger in her eyes when she took a drink and found the crackling flames. The logic, the stories, and the knowledge shared had tipped a strikingly new idea off in her mind. She shook her head.
"But you are right. He. Tsu'kai. He was not a Myrian when I killed him. Not anymore." Her words became hard with the illusion of certainty. Yet there was a reluctance to believe them herself. He denounced Myri and tried to force me to do the same. He robbed me of my freedom in hopes I would trade it for the realization of his fantasy. All he had was blood, but that is not enough to constitute my loyalty, not to one who no longer worships. A justification she would mull over and validate over the course of the season, one that would require a fair amount of time.

But the savage had focused on herself long enough for one night. Far too long. And as Fallon had suggested and Zandelia had attempted, a lighter topic was needed before the mood completely spiraled down into the cold depths of hopelessness like a horse-less wagon over a cliff side.
"Why are you two here?" Suspicion gathered in the pinching of her brow. "You're not like the others here I've met, the ones who were born here. So why come to this shyke hole? Why all this?" Kaie gestured grandly about the Quay house that had secured her asylum from insanity and hypothermia, thanks to its caretakers. The perplexity riddled across her face made it clear to the homesick savage that nothing added up in her very ignorant head.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Fallon on March 6th, 2015, 11:23 am

It was a story that was unfamiliar to Fallon, at least on the surface. Somewhere within there was a brush against some old, long buried and sealed memory. It gave only a tickling judder, her own eyes narrowing down as she tried to piece together the reluctant gaze of the woman beside her. But it did not surface beyond that, meeting only a mental wall as the look came her way. Her hand gave a reach up, fingers squeeze upon those fingers that were found upon her shoulder, nodding slowly in agreement in what was said - truths in rested there, thick and heavy in their meaning. She even remembered her own blind rage upon the subject of the father and the pure madness that consumed her into protecting her loved.

Her gaze only slipped to Kaie then, watching the reaction to the questions that Zandelia herself had placed forward. There was the glug of liquid in the in between of silence, her cup refilled with whatever strong liquid was being filled into her cup, the gentle throb of easy sensation wrapped up in a numbing body greeting her. But with it she could feel the beginning twitches of slurring, the slowing of the mind to reactions and then prickling to other desires and behaviours. She raised an eyebrow, watching the Myrian decide and muse upon the questions, the dark orbs lightening to something different - a new perspective, a different definition pushing against the consciousness until at last she spoke.

"I remember the Djed Storm," she leaned back in her chair then, lips pursing into a line with thought. It was a strange time for her, she vaguely remembered that much as she thought it over, "Or partially remember, it was a stressful time... A lot of it is a blur." Pinching her brow she allowed herself to fall back into listening, eyes flickering to the snapped fingers and the slow pull of words as the speaker tried feel her way around them, "A lot of people who were outside of cities disappeared in a flash in those events, some returned, twisted and mutated from the wild djed - bodies torn and suffering, living a painful existence until Dira finally took them. And others? They were survivors."

"I would not say you have been sightseeing,"
Fallon spoke slowly they, drawing her words out. Orbs fixed upon Kaie, unmoving as she picker her way through her own thoughts, "No, you are a skilled warrior, you have experienced the world, seen it for what it is from a new perspective. Not just the perspective of those from... where ever it is you come from, Tab-ola?" she frowned then, "And what is empty handed exactly?" she looked at Zandelia then, lips twisting into a line, "Do you really think you have to bring some shiny bauble back to them to prove yourself in their eyes?" A deeper frown, a poor attempt to try and understand the thought process of parents and their protective natures - confusing was what came to mind. She took another sip of her drink, "But, I do not know your ways. I suppose, really, only you in yourself can decide when you are ready and when you are no longer... empty handed as you call it."

She let the woman think, the happier or more thought through questions of a lighter nature. With a sigh, Fallon rested in her chair, working her way through the mind that was quickly growing sluggish. She curled a lip, "Here? Well, we live here." A flash of teeth as she continued, "Why the Scars do you mean? Why our ways?" She hummed, "Because I walked here, and travelled here with the Hound. Because I took up the mantle when he fell. Because I am stubborn and don't want to give up without trying to make a difference. Because I want to give Sunberth a chance to be something more than a decaying beast that would eventually collapse in on itself." She gave a point to herself then, "Or perhaps, because I am insane and have a death wish. I shall let you decide on that one." She sighed then, "It's a start. And we needed a place to establish ourselves in, a place in which to work out of that was not a tent." She cocked her head to one side then, "Or did you mean something else?"
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on March 11th, 2015, 1:19 am

“Oh yes, I remember the Djed Storm. It was a harrowing experience I have to say. Fortunately I was well sheltered and rode it out well enough. Though there were some...changes” she shuddered slightly at the memories, it had been a disturbing time.

She listened in silence once more, considering the words spoken as she swirled the liquid within her cup idly. Intermittent sips taken at the appropriate moments were her only responses whilst the two other women were speaking. So far things had gone well enough she reasoned, Kaie had come out of her mental state of paralysis and her words were telling her that she was beginning to consider what had happened in a different light. If all else were not accomplished this night that would have been enough. It would likely take much more time for things to reach full mental blossoming but it had started and that was what was important.

“I know not how your people do things Kaie,” she stated simply, “but I have to agree with Fallon on this one. Returning after seasons of experience in that which they might not know of sounds valuable enough to me. Not to mention that your skills are well defined and you would likely be one of the better warriors upon your return. You've fought in the hardest city there is to fight in and survived. I see no weakness or lack of value in you. If anything I'd say they should rejoice you will return to pass such things on” she continued smoothly until she sipped her cup once more, deeper this time.

“But I am no expert, not even upon myself actually. I think I can answer your questions though. I was born here in Sunberth, this is the city that I grew up in. If you could call it growing up at any rate. I left when I was older, travelled for a time and experienced much of the world. As much of it as I could at least” she began.

“I returned for a time before leaving once more, this time to a place called the Spires. It was a quest for decent ends though we were mercenary about its implementation – we were getting paid. There our numbers dwindled, those who I went with. Ended up leading them actually. Never saw myself as a good leader, still don't, but I did what I could. Many died, many weren't even buried. From there I went to Nyka, tried to make a living as a spy. I failed, again” she sighed.

“Then...then came Sahova. I travelled there on my way back to my home. There I was picked up and told that I was decent, that I was useful and could achieve something. Three guesses as to who collared me,” she smiled at the both of them then, “and that brings us to here...now. I do what I do because the people here never had a choice. Not really. All they do is suffer whilst a select few reap the rewards and wealth”

“Starvation, murder, disease, exploitation, slavery” she listed them with bitterness in her voice, “and no one to stand for anything better. So I fight, I do what I can. To build a better city. It will likely kill me but I see no better cause. At least some people will benefit because of it. I find...worth...in it. And in those as stand beside me to try to achieve it – whatever their motivations. So...there you have it”

“What do you think?” was all she asked.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on March 24th, 2015, 11:17 pm

As the Myrian had finally settled back into reality with the help of the bitter drink that mellowed her troubled mind, a thought passed through her head. How strange it was, this knowing sensation that she was being cared for. That when the typically withdrawn emotions of the savage were displayed rather vulnerably before her, those in her company did not rush to capitalize on discovered weaknesses. Instead those insecurities and fears were countered with kind reassurances. And for a foreigner whose relationships had been distrustful and unconditionally pragmatic in nature, the change shook her as much as it relieved her. It was right then, perhaps for the first time, Kaie was entirely positive her loyalties had not been misplaced.

A smile of gratitude twitched at the corner of her lip, a gesture that for once indeed reached her eyes. The Myrian leaned forward. Elbows rested on her knees and her fingers toyed with the cup between her hands. The curl of her lips turned briefly into one of genuine amusement upon hearing the attempted pronunciation of her homeland.
"Tal-o-ba," She corrected slowly, doing her best to make sure each syllable was pronounced clearly. Yet she let their words sink in. It was true, she hadn't so much a clue herself what constituted her no longer being "empty-handed". What was required for her to prove to them, no, herself that something had been accomplished for all her trouble? The head of a sworn enemy? The maledicted bones of a ferocious, foreign beast? No, but something more than a trinket, was all she could conclude within.

"I thought the Hound was a myth." A mischievous gleam entered her fiery eyes resting on Fallon. A tiny gesture of satisfaction as if to say I caught the truth from you now though you brushed it off in the past. Then the old memories of their first official, paid gig together were dismissed for her to ponder carefully over Fallon and Zandelia's stories. The latter got out of her that one guess despite the fact the invitation to make one was probably rhetorical. "Your father?" The glass rotated thoughtfully in her hands. The gladius upon her hip gave a rattle as she sat back in her chair again. Firelight flickered actively across her face, shadowing and revealing parts of it as they moved across its planes.

"Sounds like a lot of risk without a certain reward." Always the mercenary, aren't you Kaie? Survival had never left her much room to consider any agenda that constituted humanitarianism. Especially not for a city as hostile as Sunberth. "There's a story Myrians tell of the Scorpion and the Frog. Have your people told you it?" Teeth flashed in the light of the flames. She raised a brow at the pair, and before she knew it, she was telling the short version of it anyway.

"They say a scorpion and a frog met beside a stream one day. The scorpion, unable to swim across, asked the frog to carry him to the other side on his back. The frog asked, 'how do I know you won't sting me?' The scorpion replied, 'because if I do, we'll both drown.'" Amber eyes flashed between the two women, a shrug, and then she continued once again. "The frog was satisfied with the answer, and so he set out across the stream with the scorpion upon his back. Mid-way across, the scorpion stung the frog. Before he was completely paralyzed by the venom, the frogs asked the scorpion, 'why?' And the scorpion replied, 'it's in my nature.'"

The last of the contents of her cup were drained. There was a furrowing of her brow at the taste, relief when she felt the burn down her throat, and the continued, calm numbness that kept her hands from shaking. It was then she gestured toward the two, that curiosity riddled across her expression again.
"It's true I've seen the horrors the people here endure. I've stepped over the bodies, escorted the slaves, and bloodied my own sword in these streets to stay above ground. It's petching miserable a world here, and even if what you're trying to accomplish is suicidal, you should already know I fight for none here but you two and the Scars." The emptied cup was placed upon the ground carefully by the leg of the chair. The wolf caught her gaze for a moment. She watched Orvin for a short tick, taking in the beauty of the animal as he rested upon the floor. Then she settled on Fallon and Zandelia. She had one final curiosity to be sated.

"But you know what's in Sunberth's true nature, too. You'll still risk your lives for people who might not want to be saved? For people who might one day decide they'd burn with this city to the ground, so long as they made sure you burned with it?"

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on March 27th, 2015, 8:14 pm

All of them remembered the Djed storm, there was nothing else to it. An event that touched their lives no matter where about they were in the world. Fallon simply nodded along as Zandelia spoke, silent as she listened and tried to work out the timeline laid before her. The brow gave a lift, her eyes flickering between the voices as she spoke. She remembered Sahova, she remembered the trickery she had entailed in which to take the other along. There was silence as she mused into the bottom of the cup with the smallest curl upon her face. And that was how she remained as the women spoke between them both. At least, until Kaie gave her that look.

"All myths have an element of truth in them. All must start and come from somewhere," Fallon looked to her then, lips peeling to form a wolfish grin, "And I am a cunning trickster who weaves words together to make the most interesting of illusions." She gave a shrug then, face turning to neutrality, "Read that as you will." She raised an eyebrow, chin tilting slightly as she looked in the Myrian in the light. She could see the look of consideration to what had been said, that momentary blip as if she was trying to work out the answer to Zandelia's posed question. Fallon shrugged, "But is that not the case of life in general? Simply by rising in the morning, by breathing in the air, one puts themselves at risk for no certain reward - just as if they step out the door to see the world, who knows what could be there lurking at the doorway for them."

She listened to the story however, eyes narrowed as it was explained to the pair of them. In honesty she was not immediately sure what to think on it, she read the warning in it, the natures being easily placed down as Sunberth and the Scars. Her brow creased, eyelids blinking slowly as she read the expression upon the other's face. It was only after a long, slow hum that Fallon spoke, "I see and understand now. Such is the nature of things and people. It is reassuring to know that you well, chose to fight with us and our family though."

"Perhaps, it is little more than madness. But someone has to at least try, to turn the dirt into a gem, a caterpillar into a butterfly,"
She exhaled, "Someone has to try and lead it to change itself before it collapses in and kills itself. To stop the blood falling and the pain that throbs within. And while scars show the marks of the past, they show signs of healing too. Sunberth," She exhaled, her mind flickering back to the first meeting all that time ago, it felt like a life time away, with the days and seasons having already ripped on past. Her gaze lifted, eyes half closed as her mind slowly begun dulled and sluggish. Fallon yawned, "Is a place of opportunity, ever changing like the tided and capable of rising up and fighting back at those that oppressed. Daggerhands, slavers, those who claimed to live in freedom but really enforced their own chains onto others."

"There were times, that I did not want to be saved, yet was pulled from madness regardless. And, there were times that I wanted to be saved but were instead left to drown,"
Her gaze looked upon Kaie then, "Maybe, not everyone will want to be saved, you can lead a horse to water but cannot make it drink. But there are those that do, that want a little bit of brightness, that small nudge to go onwards. And, maybe it's foolish to try and instil such hope, but..." She looked to Kaie then, face serious, "It's a dream that I'll work towards. To bring change, to do what I can. Never stop learning, help the world recover and heal," She gave a snort then, "Unfortunately the only thing I'm good at is hacking away the diseased flesh before it festers and stagnates. But, someone has to try and do it. And if they come with fire and pain, then they will come."
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zandelia on March 28th, 2015, 11:59 pm

“Nature can be changed, difficult but it can be done. Perks of being human, you can make your own choices. Not live beholden to fate. Perhaps,” she responded to the story of the scorpion and the frog, “though I thank you for the tale. From Taloba nonetheless” she continued, mimicking the pronunciation Kaie had corrected.

She had a point of course, quite a relevant and well placed one at that. She doubted that the city would change, truly change. There would always be those fighting to turn it back if it ever did, it was an endless war that they had embarked upon and she was wise enough to know so. She reflected that all of their work, if they were successful, would like as not be undone when they were dead and gone. One year, ten, a hundred. Things moved in cycles they said, it would have its bloody age once more eventually. Did it make it any less worth trying though? Of that she was unsure, she had seen and done much in her life that told her it was sometimes better to have a reason, even if it was naive, than to live without one.

“I think I can safely say that fighting for us means that we return the favour. Consider this a formal acknowledgement. Sealed over..whatever this good stuff is” she raised her cup and sipped the last of the contents before placing the cup upon the floor to her side. Nothing more needed to be said on that matter, they knew where they stood.

The alcohol was working its magic, that inscrutable and powerful tendency to make the roughest world seem fuzzy and delightful. She could feel the flush upon her cheeks start to bloom and made a small mental note to drink some water before descending back into sleep, if sleep was still even an option this night. She relaxed back into the back of the chair, fingertips pressed together as she continued to ponder Kaie's words and formulate a response of her own. She let Fallon have her say, she did like to share her dreams and her passion was always a delight to hear, though it had become tempered of late after numerous events and small progresses. Still, it yet existed deep within. She waited for them to finish washing over her ears before speaking herself.

“I once was told that your strength could only be measured by the quality of your enemies. We just think bigger Kaie. What larger beast is there than a city, Sunberth at that? I am not so foolish to ignore the risks, but I do know what happens if we don't take them” she stated pointedly as she looked at the Myrian across the way.

“More people die, are enslaved or worse. It's that simple. The city doesn't have to like me, just not get in my way. And I'm good at removing obstacles. Or getting around them. It's what I do. I could care less whether they will try to kill me. They'd try either way because this is Sunberth. Everyone is almost dead here”

“So I do good works with the same amount of risk really. Granted, we annoy people. Sabotage their business. You get the idea. But the way I am I'd annoy them anyway if I wasn't trying not to. Not many people like me,” she shrugged at that, she was not overly fond of courting attention unless it was required and others opinions mattered little to her in the grand scheme, “and I know how I'd feel if I sat and did nothing”

“I'd live longer perhaps. Long enough that the number of times I ended up asking myself what happened to my courage and morality would drive me to kill myself. I'd rather fight for a good cause, falling valiantly and blazing a trail for others to take up after me, than fight for nothing at all” she finished.

It was trite she supposed, dramatic of course. Yet there was a lesson there for someone younger and perhaps less embattled. Kaie was a mercenary and a warrior, she was not sure if the woman even knew why she fought and spilled blood. The need to return home, to prove herself, seemed genuine enough. Yet she wondered if there was something more to it, whether she just fought because that's what she knew. What she was good at. Perhaps, in some small way, the hard won philosophies she had accrued herself might give the Myrian something to think upon, to find within herself.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on March 31st, 2015, 3:37 pm

Making the best of a bad situation, and giving those that might take it the chance to escape some of the madness.

It was a noble cause they were undertaking. Dangerous, but noble, ambitious, and rewarding in a way the savage was still trying to wrap her head around. Their shared language of metaphors was oddly helpful. The images and comparisons gave her something to draw forward to find some ground of understanding she could process later on her own. She couldn't help but wonder if there was more merit to Fallon's point than she had been willing to consider. Had she not only moments ago thrashed against their aid only several chimes ago when they had been liberating her from impending hypothermia? Fear was not always a good motivator for action in the common people. Hope was. After all, had hope not appeared for her that night in the form of good company, a strong drink, and a warm fire, she feared she might've taken a considerably longer time coming out of her previous state. Could they do the same for Sunberth?

The alcohol was beginning to take a hold of her now. She could feel the familiar buzzing and the soothing calm she felt when the drunkenness came without antagonistic stimulation. Her head nodded gently when the women spoke, amber eyes distant and often finding solace in the dancing flames that warmed the room. The crease in her brow was not anxiety this time. It was thoughtfulness. Fingers steepled over her knees and she leaned forward again in her chair. When she found her words, her voice was steady yet gaze momentarily distant.

"You've both given me much to consider," the Myrian began slowly. The cogs in her head was still turning, connections continuing to be made, and her own perception forming in light of new knowledge. "I've kept you up long enough. You should get some sleep. Like you said..." her eyes flashed to Fallon's and she gave a flash of her teeth. "You never know what tomorrow will bring. Better to be ready for it."

Kaie rose as if to head toward the door, until she caught sight of the window. Sinister swirls of wind had begun to once more sweep white snowflakes from the street into the air. The mere sight was enough to warrant a shiver. Her expression turned apologetic.

"Mind if I crash here for the night? I'll be gone before Syna's rise to find myself a proper coat."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on March 31st, 2015, 9:21 pm

With the smallest leans Fallon yawned, louder this time, her hand clapping over her mouth and her eyes widening slightly. A blink she looked between the pair and straightened herself out as her partner seemed to mull her own thoughts and words over. It was a long span of silence that hung, the warm glow that existed within as the pointed words were lined up. Zandelia was steeled in her resolve either way, her mind made up on the situation and their cause. Fallon took herself to simply nodding, her hand gradually lowering back down to her lap. There was a small tilt of the head as she heard the low whistling noise escape Orvin - ears flat, head completely drooped, he was fast asleep.

Her eyes moved away when the Myrian began to shift, slowly bringing herself up to her feet - there was only a dart away to the world outside to check the weather through the darkness beyond before they settled once more. Her lips gave little more than a curl of lips, "Oh, I think I know what tomorrow will bring you. Give your head my regards in the morning," She flashed her teeth then and moved onto bringing herself up to standing. There was a long groan as she stretched out, eyes blinking dumbly at the two women before she peeled herself out from the chair. It was from there she gave a step away, cup being placed upon the table surface, "You can crash here for as long as you need Kaie," Her gaze slid over to her then, a moment of softening before the sharpened once more - focusing as she gathered her thoughts, "You are a Scar, and you are family. We wouldn't turn you out. Though, I recommend you stay and eat something in the morning before you go."

Taking pause next to Zandelia she gave a smile which quickly turned into a dopy grin. There was the smallest nudges to the other, followed by the incline of the head back up the stairs, "Come on, you heard her, we should get some rest too. Else the little terrors will be biting our ankles and we'll be overrun," With a slightly firmer push she shooed the woman along, "The blanket and setting up on one of the couches is enough, right?" Her voice became teasing then, "I doubt you'd want to climb into the same bed as us after all."

It was with a step away she made her way towards the steps, a brief glance back as she waited for Zandelia to follow after, "Make yourself at home. Blankets and other warms can be found in the basement should you get cold. Just, know that if you need help, you know where we are. Got it? Good," There was a brief creak as she took a single step up, leaned slightly and gave Kaie what could only be described as a look. She gave a smirk, brow raising with a flick of the hand. The steps groaned after her wake as she made her ascent, "And Kaie? Take a bath, you need it."
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

PreviousNext