Where Do PC Names Come From?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Ruari Darkwind on August 27th, 2015, 6:17 am

Ruari is a male Irish name. In spirit, it means "red king", and the base word actually means "red haired". Let's be honest here; there's totally no coincidence with Ruari's name and her appearance. ;)
Ruari Darkwind
skulls.

Words: 62295
Joined roleplay: August 23rd, 2015, 3:15 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nirea on August 30th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Name generator. I picked a nifty sounding one because I'm that creative.
Nirea
Player

Words: 678
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2015, 3:31 pm
Race: Human, Mixed

Postby Nythis Drawne on August 30th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Took a phrase, "knife is drawn", played round with it a little and viola, Nythis Drawne. And Sithyn is partly an anagram of Nythis.
Nythis Drawne
How can you rise, if you have not burned?

Words: 26571
Joined roleplay: April 12th, 2015, 8:38 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lynca on September 2nd, 2015, 11:20 pm

I started with the concept I wanted for my character, which was someone who pried secrets and mysteries from others. I did a search of mythical names and creatures associated with mystery, and discovered that the lynx was one of those creatures. I tweaked it enough that it wasn't overtly obvious and settled on Lynca!

Now, for Charles, it's kinda silly. I knew I wanted the face of Joseph Gordon Levitt to represent the Kelvic, and one of my favorite movies with him in it is "Inception". Again, I didn't go for the obvious choice and instead based his name off of Tom Hardy's character, Eames. Now, it's speculated that Eames' name is probably something kinda posh, and Charles is the first name fans like to go with. And that's how his name came to be.
Lynca
Player

Words: 17280
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2015, 3:09 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Revali on September 5th, 2015, 11:13 pm

I loved reading this thread. Certainly interesting to see so much thought put into names, and so much creativity.

I knew I wanted my character to be called "Val" as a nickname, because it can be short for a man's or woman's name, and I wanted my character to have both a masculine and feminine side.

Taking "Val", I then built nonsense sounds around it until I found one that seemed appropriate. It turned out to be Revali, pronounced "Reh-valley".
6/8 Active Threads
Have some time? Come leave a peer review
Revali
'Fraidy 'Kat

Words: 45187
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2015, 3:34 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ruari Darkwind on September 6th, 2015, 12:04 am

I was hoping your name was based on ravioli.
Ruari Darkwind
skulls.

Words: 62295
Joined roleplay: August 23rd, 2015, 3:15 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on September 6th, 2015, 1:16 am

When I first found Mizahar, I was in a hurry to get somewhere, so I looked at the race list and decided to play a Vantha. Reading the page, they gave me a kind of Inuit feel, so I looked up Inuit names. Kayuqtuq, which means red fox, was the one I liked the most.
Vani Common Nari Thoughts
Note: Kayuqtuq is only basic in Common, and particularly has trouble with grammar and the structure of words. If you notice she talks a little like a six-year old, that's why.
Note: Due to real life, posts will be delayed. I'm working hard on some non-Mizahar writing, and that plus school and various other things makes it hard to post.
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Words: 30583
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2015, 11:10 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Colt on September 6th, 2015, 6:10 am

Shahar's name came from his IC quest for one. When he finally sat down and listened, getting it into his head that the world would provide him with a name, he picked one off of the sounds he heard around him. He lives in the Sea of Grass, and it was dawn at the time, so most of what he heard was windy grass and insects, so he translated that sound into something that ended up coming out as Shahar. Dawnwhisper just seemed to fit him as a last name.

Ooc, I knew that I wanted a name for him that was 'quiet.' Shahar is basically the sound someone makes when they shush you, and it's a bit difficult to shout over a distance.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Yisanareysin on September 6th, 2015, 4:08 pm

Reysin's name came from the fact that I've been going by Reynard online for quite a while now. No idea where Yisana came from.
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on September 19th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Karin is just a name that I like, from Swedish folk songs. Ironyach, well- that's from 'Iron', as her father is an Isur, and y'know, obvious connection. And the 'yach' came from me messing around with words that sounded hard and/or like words of disgust. In this case, like 'yuck!'
With this name I wanted to make it sound hard to say, and slightly.. pointy. What with the K's and the Ch's.

Her real name is Saunni, and this comes from 'sun', and also came from me trying to think of sounds which were more fresh and playful. I think saying her name out loud, Say-un-i, makes it sound kinda.. like an uplift. Hopefully when I get to that point when she finds out her real name, it'll make her feel more happy, so that's why it's like that.

So yeah ^_^

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

PreviousNext