Where Do PC Names Come From?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Piraen Saneka on March 22nd, 2014, 9:35 pm

I started thinking of the character concept in March, right around Pi day. I love making pies, and Pi just is the cutest, funniest looking word to me (plus it scores some serious points in Scrabble), so it stuck.

Originally, Pi's full name was going to be "Pidrahni", which was a name I picked up as I channel-surfed by a soap opera. However, when I got around to making the actual CS, someone messaged me and told me that "it" was taken. I quickly changed the name. Little did I know that the "it" in question was actually my first character model, Ben Barnes. :P

Either way, I thought Piraen sounded better than Pidrahni. Oh, and the 'raen' part came from a typo I had made in an essay I'd turned in earlier that week. I was aiming for rain, but somehow hit the E not the I. To this day, my teacher has not let me live that down. -__-

Saneka came from button mashing, basically. I think the original form was Sadeki, but the word looked too harsh to be paired with "Pi", so I changed it to Saneka.

If a building isn't called a built even after it has been completed,
then a thought should be called a thinking even after it's been said.
Piraen Saneka
Commit old sins in new ways.

Words: 88697
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2012, 1:31 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Jehryn Seyfara on April 18th, 2014, 3:03 am

I actually had no idea to name my character. It was difficult to give a decent name to be honest. So I've actually linked my current character's name to my previous one (who was abandoned). Though in general, they have no similarities when it comes to rhymes or whatever but their names are a bit identical to those Wheel of Time characters. (To those who've read the books you'd be familiar :D) Jehryn Seyfara actually sounds very similar to the name of Rand al'Thor's friend Perrin Aybara.
Common | Thoughts | Nari | NPC/speech of others | Speech of others in Nari
Jehryn Seyfara
Run Free

Words: 45473
Joined roleplay: April 12th, 2014, 2:31 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Grace Lechar on April 19th, 2014, 6:06 pm

I can't give you a big long paragraph to explain Grace's name. I was just trying to pick a non-Christian name, but one that was very average and could fit her personality. Grace isn't exactly graceful so I don't know why I thought it would fit, but it does. As for her last name, I cheated a bit. Lechar (Please pronounce it Lay-Kar not Lay-char) is just Rachel backwards. Rachel is my best friend irl, we've got one heck of a back story together. Grace is modeled a bit from Rachel, so it's sort of a tribute I guess. Huh, Grace's name has really got a bigger meaning than I thought it did. None of my other PCs have this much effort put into their names ...
Grace Lechar
Step 1: Mount the horse. Step 2: Stay on ...

Words: 79585
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2014, 11:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hajt on April 20th, 2014, 7:29 am

I go to Bing Translate. I pick a language. I enter an adjective or a noun, usually discribing my character in some manner.

Hajt means "Wall" in Maltese. The more you know!
Hajt
Player

Words: 4219
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2014, 6:48 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Myrah on April 27th, 2014, 2:41 am

I had a look at the typical Benshiran names in the lore and altered one from there! It comes from 'Mirian' sort of... kind of like how Mariam can become Mary can become Mariah. I wanted something simple, I think that might be a boring story though.
Myrah
Player

Words: 16505
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 9:14 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Roderick on June 23rd, 2014, 10:55 am

I got mine from that TV series Kevin Bacon did, 'The Following'. One character kept being mentioned and - you guessed it - his name was Roderick. I didn't plan on using it for Mizahar; it just came into my head when I was creating Rod a while later. While trying to decide what to name him the Following popped into my head. So I wasn't really too hung up on what it meant or anything, it was just a name I liked.

Apparently it is proto-Germanic and literally means "[he who is] rich in glory", which is ironic since he's a hunter and so far hasn't really done anything interesting. Rod will hopefully be training as a squire soon though so its possible he will start living up to the name.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Skylar Draykin on June 25th, 2014, 7:22 am

So Skyler has been my go to name ever since I started roleplaying. It has always been spelled Skyler but a lot of people like to spell it the other way so when picking the name here, I changed it to be easier. Of corse that doesn't help when her nickname is Skye. I don't mind people spelling it Sky though. Its just a habit for me to put an e on the end. As for Draykin, I guess it all stems from Draco (as in draco malfoy) because of my HP obssession. I so I mulled it over and since I also like dragons (which I think the name draco has something to do with dragons as well) I recently got Draykin. And víola. Skylar Draykin was born!
Apologies for the lomg wait everyone I am rping with! Going through a very rough patch. Will reply very soon though! PM if you have aby questions or concerns and I will get back to you as I'm planning on being on here at least once a day from now on
Skylar Draykin
Toujour Pur

Words: 44017
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2014, 12:36 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Calters on June 28th, 2014, 7:20 pm

I took the color of Cal's wings and, as Akvatari tend to do, played with the word. Scarlet was jumbled around and so his name was born.
Rejected names include-
Scatler (Scat for short)
Talcser (Talc)
Saltrec (Salt)
and Actsler (Acts)
You can see that Calters was clearly the best option. Although playing as Scat might have been fun.
Tukant-Kontinese-Common-Thoughts-Singing
Calters
When music hits you, you don't feel the pain

Words: 88993
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2014, 4:07 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Yoona on June 28th, 2014, 7:56 pm

I tend to recycle roleplay characters, and if I can't make their actual characters fit into the setting, I recycle the name. Yoona is actually the name of a lion character I made for this online game ages ago, only she's supposed to be a robot...it also happens to be the first name of my Guild Wars 2 character. Heh.

As far as where it came from...not sure. I like sitting and thinking up random sounds when I make-up names.
"I see what I feel.
My sight will change when my heart does."
Yoona
Don't touch. I bite.

Words: 148798
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2014, 5:32 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Edmund Morealis on July 1st, 2014, 10:12 pm

"Thou, nature, art my goddess. To thy law my services are bound."

Edmund was one of my favorite characters from King Lear, and though I know that Edmund was a bastard and this Edmund is - most decidedly - not, he was still one of the classiest and intelligent characters in the entire thing. He manipulated his way from an illegitimate son with no inheritance to an Earl without breaking a sweat.

But this Ed's not evil. Really. >.>
Edmund is currently suspended. Apologies!

"There is nothing to fear. You can trust me."
Edmund Morealis
You can trust me

Words: 113376
Joined roleplay: June 13th, 2014, 9:25 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext