Where Do PC Names Come From?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Roderick on March 19th, 2015, 6:48 pm

I typed Rod's name into google images and this came up:

I don't even know, man, I don't even know. Let's just blame Archy for this since it was his idea.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nal'reim Qyan on March 19th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Nal'reim Qyan... Where did I come up with it. To be honest, I am not sure. I first used the name when I role played in the Star Wars universe. He was a jedi master specializing in healing arts. Then I brought him here and used the name.
ImageImageImage
Nal'reim Qyan
Player

Words: 34560
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2012, 6:59 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kamilla on March 29th, 2015, 1:57 am

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Kamilla - Simple, I like the sound of the name, I find it both feminine and exotic, and if you google search it, one of the first results is...
-A wild creation of God with a unique sense of
style and humor, outstanding physical
features and a bright inside world to choose
from.
-Extraordinary mind
-Wide Imagination
(accurate or not, I still like it)

Circe - Also simple, in Greek mythology Circe was a powerful enchantress(*cough cough* character aspiration) with hair that (some say resembled, some say was) fire...another sort of hint as to what I have planned for her... And on top of all that, it's just a great and powerful sounding name.

Gordon - In all honesty, I just thought it rounded off her name quite nicely, made it sound nice, real and fitting for Miz' them(At least I think so)

So there you have it, Kamilla Circe Gordon...Powerful, stylish and beautiful sorceress to be.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Words: 592212
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Yra on March 29th, 2015, 9:16 am

Yra is a Swedish verb. It means "to rave", "to be delirious" and "to whirl". I had the word in my head from a previous roleplay elsewhere and thought it fit the idea of a sun-mad Ethaefal.

Like Hirem, Ehati's name comes from a racial lore page, in this case Inarta. I guess I just wanted to take one of those names for once, and even then Ehati wasn't my first choice.

Terror is a Zith. She likes to terrify people. It's part of her story.

Ssafiracitlali, being a Dhani, got a different method to her name. First I took the name of a previously existing Dhani's mum (Ssafirarhysati) and then I gave her the Nahuatl word meaning "Star". Not for any actual reason, I had simply spent a lot of time on another character looking at known Nahuatl words and Citlali stuck.
Yra
there are no strings on me.

Words: 66902
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 3:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mayra on March 31st, 2015, 3:47 pm

I think I can finally post here. Most of the time I simply pick the most unique name of someone I know (surprisingly, I have quite a selection, not a lot of Johns and Janes in my life...), but for Mayra I actually tried.

Originally I wanted to name her 'Sneak' for her Zith heritage, but that wasn't allowed, so I tried to think up something else. Her mother's name is Saya (which I got from this fabulous site) and her Chaktawe family name is Midra (also from FNG) so I sort of mixed them together in a way that I though a single mother Chaktawe would and Mayra appeared. So now she is Mayra, daughter of Saya, of the Midra bloodline of the Suli tribe.

I've never put so much effort into a name before... :P
This character is deceased as of the 44th, so I will not be taking anymore threads.
Mayra
Mildly Wild

Words: 149273
Joined roleplay: March 16th, 2015, 2:00 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zephari on May 15th, 2015, 6:15 pm

I came up with Zephari purely on accident. I've always loved the word Zephyr used in context of wind or a wind elemental, and I had planned on having a somewhat nomadic styled character for this site. So my brain accidentally typed a hybrid of the word Zephyr, and Safari. It just ended up working out perfectly.

Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Shakune on May 16th, 2015, 2:44 pm

I always find it SO hard to think of names, so it's really interesting to see what inspired people to name their PCs But in my case:

Shakune I read the Chaktawe page, saw what sounds were common in their language and just kind of... Made some sounds with my face until I liked one. For a while I couldn't decide whether her name would be prononced 'Sha-koon' or 'Sha-koon-ay'. I decided on the former, FYI ;)

Ayatah I lived with someone of that name and thought it was pretty cool. And I thought it suited a Myrian PC more than any other race.

Anouk I read the book The Slap by an Australian author and I believe a character in that book was called Anouk. Shameless copying.

Jeremy Casing For Jer, I wanted as normal a name as I could muster. I was watching Top Gear at the time (Jeremy Clarkson...) and I think I just wanted a slightly different surname so I wouldn't be totally copying a TV presenter
Jeremy's (almost) namesake :

Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 281911
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Aiyana Ottano on August 7th, 2015, 10:24 pm

Aiyana- I was actually researching names for a fantasy novel I'm writing when I came across this. It's a name used by the Native Americans and means 'eternal blossom'.

I didn't end up using it for my story, but I like it a lot so ended up deciding on it for here.
Aiyana Ottano
I make my own destiny

Words: 14439
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2015, 11:19 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Aider Silander on August 7th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Aider Silander, I love snakes and I wanted him to be sly and cunning. But I was also interested in having him be of aid to people. So its kind of just weird combos of words thrown together and now I have this mess.

Hey all, just wanted to say I am sorry for any delays and failed promises. I am getting ready for a huge trip out of the country as well as taking on a lot of extra shifts at work. The creative side of my brain hasn't been active as of late.
Aider Silander
She has my heart on the end of her blade.

Words: 170163
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Duende on August 7th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Such an interesting question!

Rufio was the name of the lead Lost Boy in the Peter Pan movie Hook. It always fills me with nostalgia when I hear it.
It fit the PC perfectly and is my source of writing inspiration~
Last edited by Duende on February 23rd, 2017, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duende
Player

Words: 19067
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2015, 11:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext