Closed Frost Bite [Sacred Arch Hot springs] (Katelyn and Marrick)

Three Squires help a crazy old herbalist find some herbs in the hot springs

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Frost Bite [Sacred Arch Hot springs] (Katelyn and Marrick)

Postby Katelyn Marks on April 4th, 2015, 6:20 pm

"A Kelvic you say?" Katelyn asked when Marrick's quiet conversation with the little dog fell on her ears. She smiled slightly and looked at the animal with new interest. They weren't all that uncommon--at least here at the Outpost--but still enough to be a great reason for curiosity. She knew with certainty there were a few wandering around here somewhere, but the redhead had only met one for sure that she knew of. A old farmhouse cat that turned into a rather quiet elderly woman and had been with one of the local families all her life.

Kate wondered what Patcha looked like on two legs instead of four, but Nivel was soon comfortable buried in her cloak and began a round of questions. Her smile broadened and she was happy for the Pycon's curiosity. She liked the odd looking little creature automatically.

"Very new," she answered. "I'm just your regular run of the mill Squire, yes, but I can't deny the subject of magic has me very curious. How long have you been studying?" The intrigue in her voice was obvious. Ser Whitevine was Marrick's Patron's twin brother, but both of them were your standard Knight. No magical abilities, no real knowledge of the arts aside from common hearsay and the basics. It was lucky of her to happen across the Mage-Squire like she had.

"I don't sew, no," Katelyn continued. "My mother does though, and quite well. I always wanted to learn but just never got around to it. I had other things that were keeping me occupied I guess. Maybe you can teach me sometime?" It was a genuine invitation, but as Marrick surged ahead of them at a fast gallop, Kate had to shift her concentration elsewhere. His little jibe made her bark a quick laugh, and the redhead let some slack into her reigns. Garrison was eager to follow and had been chomping excitedly on the bit. As soon as he felt the tension release in her posture, he lept forward and charged after the massive mare.

"I doubt you'd be able to out ride me now!" she yelled after the dark haired Squire, though her voice was caught by the harsh cold wind and carried off into the sky, leaving her mute. She had no doubts her stallion could devour the distance between them and their companions ahead, but with the miles they needed yet to ride, she didn't dare let him burn himself out. So when he tried to stretch out to full reach, she drew in some rein and tried to keep him steady. He snorted in time with the thundering of his hooves on thin crust of ice covering the snow, crunching the earth below and leaving deep gouges in the wet ground underneath.

One hand found its way to the interior pocket sewn into her cloak where the Pycon was nestled, and she held the little creature protectively for fear she might pop out and be lost in the warhorse's chase.

"Hang tight in there little one!" she ordered the Mage-Squire gently. Garrison galloped heavily along the wide tracks left by the field wagons and carts over the years, following the torn earth and scattered snow left by Marrick and Kiter ahead. He grunted loudly and sniffed the air in her wake, feeling his oats as stallions sometimes did around mares. Katelyn gave him a firm kick with her heels to take his mind of mounting, and let him gallop hard the rest of the way to the treeline that was quickly approaching.

They caught up to their companions not long before the orchard was upon them, and by then Garrison's mind was on catching his breath and not planting his unruly seed. She stroked his neck in praise and crooned quiet words to him as he walked to rest of the way to the gnarled trees, all heavy with the weight of winter. She had to agree with Marrick that it looked bleak and sad, and frowned at the branches around them. When he asked about the two of them, she suddenly remembered Nivel and peeked inside her cloak. The Pycon was safe and sound inside the warmth provided by the heavy fur lining her cloak.

"Of course we're alright." Katelyn smiled at her friend then, and gave him a challenging look. "Do you need a rest? No? Well good then. Moving on, shall we?" Her good-natured retort was light and filled with laughter, and once the horses were cooled back down she took the lead and let Garrison trot ahead of their fellow Squire. When they broke through the orchard and found themselves nearing the river though, Katelyn found herself growing more serious. Chunks of ice floated down the quickly moving frigid waters of the Avitar.

The crust it had accumulated was breaking free, leaving barriers of buildup and harsh rapids. There were sandbars that could make crossing easier, but she was worried more about the temperature of the water. She paused her stallion by the slope of the bank and listened to the rushing of the river, then glanced at Marrick.

"I think we'll be alright we cross quickly and keep to the shallows. Watch for the ice breaks and don't let the horses stop. Follow me," she said, and wasted no time urging Garrison down to the water's edge. He hesitated a moment but Kate gave him no time to dwell. She kicked him with her heels and startled him forward. As soon as his hooves were in the water, he quickly sloshed across the gap to the narrow shelf in the middle of the water, and canter across the second portion of water and eagerly climbed up the bank, spraying droplets in his wake.

Kiter was climbing out of the water almost directly after him, and once a quick examination was given to make sure the horses were fine, they were on their way again, eating away the distance to the hot springs with long-legged trots. The air was always a little warmer at the Sacred Arch, and she could hear the water several chimes before the springs came in sight. She would have sagged with relief if Garrison didn't suddenly stop, nearly sending her forward over his head. He stood still and rigid, head high and ears forward, snorting nervously and peering into the trees. Her stomach twisted instantly, and when Nivel spoke a sudden warning, she made to turn the stallion before he reared in fright.

"Whoa!" she urged the warhorse, trying to calm him as he crashed back down on his front legs, jostling her and Nivel violently. He turned in a frantic circle, snorting and whinnying nervously when she heard a low rumble coming up from over top of a nearby rock tumble. Claws clicked on the snow powdered stone, and a large russet wolf crested the top of the formation, peering down at them with hungry yellow eyes. It looked a little thin--probably not enough to eat this winter--and when its jaws opened she saw rows of discolored teeth and a large red tongue. Her stopped for a moment before continuing its pounding at a fearful, violent rate.

"Marrick?" she asked tremulously. "I think we should go. Now."

OOCLong one!
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Words: 226535
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Marrick Corvis on April 8th, 2015, 4:25 am

Marrick chuckled darkly and grinned broadly, when he knew that his teasing had struck a chord with the fiery haired squire. The Kelvic realized that he knew how to press the human’s buttons, and it was a thrill to wind her up. Though the slightest twinge of guilt at doing so still needled at the cockles of his heart.

When she asked him if he needed a rest, his grin squeezed tight into a subdued smirk and he laughed along with her whole heartedly. “Oi could do with a noice foire n’ a mug o’ coider, or some’a that dark brown mead they serve over at the pub.” The Kelvic huffed a misty breath into the air as he exhaled sharply. “Hot if Oi could, but yer roight we have many a moile teh cover yet before we get there.”

As the orchard fell behind them and the Avitar became a muffled trickling sound as they approached, he followed Katelyn’s lead. She was dead right about the danger, and he nodded in agreement of her assessment of where to cross. Moind like a trap that one. He thought to himself both amused and impressed. Most folk would have simply crossed anywhere. After all, that was what he had considered doing.

He watched warily as the red haired woman coaxed her horse down to the water’s edge and into the shallow swift water. When she had crested the central bar of sand, Marrick gave Patcha’s lash a tug just to make sure she was secure before he gave both the Kelvic and Kiter a reassuring stroke of their backs. “Best jest teh get on.” He said nervously under his breath. The ice looked jagged, like an old knifes edge. “Hep, let’s go Koiter.” He said giving the massive Mare a little tap to her sides.

Trusting as a lover, the massive War Mare descended the slope and splashed her massive girth into the river. The ice cold water soaked through his boots immediately and the Kelvic cursed at the sharp burning sensation that lapped at his calves. “Pech!” he squelched with a low growl to quiet the noise he’d made. No need to make Katelyn worry. Or even worse give her ammunition to use on him later.

Kiter hurried through the river like a barge. Her massive bulk seemed unstoppable, and it wasn’t long before she had plowed her way through the deeper part of the river, over the sandbar, and up the far side to join Katelyn, Garrison, and Nivel. When the wind hit Marricks legs though, he made a noise that was unmistakably cold. “Woowooh. Oi won’t have toes fer long if we don’t get movin soon.” He said, his voice shivering sharply as his feet grew numb.

Just as they had begun their journey again he was close enough to here Nivel’s warning. He looked over his shoulder and all about, in search of their guests. He even stood in his stirrups and felt the aching burn in his feet that made him grit his teeth as if he’d bit down on his own finger.

When the little Pycon announced that their guests were wolves, he swiftly slipped his gloved hand into his hip pouch for a bow string, and wasted no time stringing his long bow. With an awkward hurriedness he flexed the long stave across his shoulders and slid the loops over the ends before he grasped it like a lifeline. “How many are there Nivel?” Marrick said as he slid a shaft from his quiver and notched it over his first knuckle on the grip.

Garrison grew nervous as he stamped his hooves hard into the frozen earth. The stallion turned about desperate to bolt, but Katelyn kept control of him. Kiter was no exception, though she was a tad more subtle. The War Mare had been trained when he had purchased her. However, the smell of predators left her with a fair amount of agitation. The massive Bulwark of horseflesh stamped her massive hooves, and gave a low whinny before she tossed her head in unrest. “Easy lass, easy now.” He said as he leaned protectively over Patcha and gave the mare a soothing stroke of her foreleg.

That was when he heard it. The distinct and memorable sound of a wolf’s throaty growl. Marrick had heard it only once before and it filled his heart with dread. His breath caught in his throat a moment as he slowly rose in the saddle to look at a russet colored wolf as it opulently looked down on them from a large Moraine of broken stone. The dark haired squire touched the forearm of his sword arm where a wolf bigger that this one had given him a good chewing. The fever that had followed the wounds tending left him reeling in unpleasant memory.

Though the cold fear that filled him melted into a hunger for vengeance. With a slow exhale he tried to temper his will, and looked the hungry beast in the eye. The bloody thing looked desperate to say the least. He felt confrontational. Though, when Katelyn said they should leave in a voice that dripped fear, he could do nothing but nod silently and hum in agreement. “mmhmm. Move away slow loike, Oi’ll be roight behoind yeh.” As Katelyn and Nivel turned slowly the Russet wolf was joined by a black, and a gray.

Well done Marrick yah damned fool. The Kelvic thought to himself. How the Hai are yah getting outa this. His brain racked itself over and over again until his trepidations were interrupted by the grumbling of his ever hungry stomach. He almost laughed, though the lapping tongues of the wolves as they watched him halted his reaction. However, it did give him an idea.

With a slow and careful movement, he leaned low and spoke to his mount softer than silk. “Easy now, Kiter. Be brave fer jest a moment more. You too Patcha, Oi’ll take care of yeh.” He said softly to the massive mare as he reached into his saddle bag for the bulk of his day’s rations. The large hunk of dried beef would likely only buy them time, but then again that was what they desperately needed.

It didn’t take long for Marrick to find the large hunk of meat in his bag, and the wolves watched him with interest as he held the hunk of meat aloft. In an odd display, he bit off a mouthful of the meat for himself and spat it out, before he tossed the hunk of meat into the snow before them.

The Kelvics heart was beating faster than one of the drums as he watched Oriah dance. Faster than the swift movement of his beloveds feet. Yet, a cold calm filled him. With a slow and purposeful motion he backed Kiter up before he turned her. His eyes never left the wolves and their hungry eyes and licking lips. Once the dark haired squire was a fair distance away the wolves set themselves upon the little morsel of meat. When Marrick saw that their attention was on each other and not on them he nodded to Katelyn. “Roight let’s get the Pech outa here before they finish that tiny bit a’ meat and give us a second thought. Stay in front of me. Oi’ll keep an eye over our shoulder n’ don’t stop till we reach the springs.”

Marrick called out to Kiter loudly through the tinny cold. “Come on Koiter. Go fer it! Hup Hup!” The Massive Mare required no coaxing, all too grateful to make some distance between them and the predators. Mercifully the Kelvics ploy worked. The wolves were clearly desperate, yet they were clever. A fist sized hunk of Beef was easier to catch than a pair of horses.

Kiter and Garrison rode flat out for a good ten leagues before they slowed down to a trot. Marrick, did not breathe easy until he could smell the sulfurous stench of the hot springs. He noticed then that the air had warmed, and the snow had begun to diminish. The first burbling bit of mud they came across gave the icy eyed squire a measure of comfort, though he wasn’t convinced of their safety. They paused for the briefest of chimes near a pool of bright blue water. “Oi don’t care if yeh call me cowardly. Lets circle around, and head deep inta the springs before we tie up n’ start searchin. OI don’t want teh bump into another set of hungry guests.”

Marrick looked over his shoulder at the direction they had come, and the thought of those wolves still out there sent a shiver down his spine. “The stench of the springs should cover our scent. Let’s go.”
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Words: 268368
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2013, 12:29 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Nivel on April 20th, 2015, 2:51 am

Nivel was about to reply back to Katelyn’s comments but Marrick had ridden to far ahead and Katelyn had to focus on catching up.
“Go get em’ Katelyn” The pycon cheered instead as she was more then content with waiting for a better time to continue their conversation. Especially now that the mage squire had the pleasure of going for a thrilling ride as Katelyn got her wild horse to launch into a steady gallop. Katelyn wrapped her large hand around Nivel and told the pycon to hang on. The pycon was amazed at how fast horses could move their long slender legs, and it certainly didn’t take long for them to catch up to the others.
“I’m still here” Nivel waved up at Katelyn as she checked Nivel’s condition when they had finished the ride.

When the wolves that Nivel had sensed came into the picture, Katelyn’s horse reared up in fright and Nivel was shook round like a rag doll with in the pocket she had taken refuge in. The red headed squire had it under control soon enough and the pycon was free to verify to Marrick that there was a pack of about three wolves. The tiny mage wasn’t completely sure of the number since the situation was making it rather difficult to concentrate but her suspicions were proven accurate as three wolves entered the scene. Nivel was more than ready for a fight but it soon became apparent that running way was the best course of action. Marrick being as brave and full of ingenuity as ever, distracted the blood thirsty creatures with provisions from his pocket but Nivel couldn’t see what they were exactly.

With the wolves preoccupied the group made their exit with Marrick talking up the rear to act as look out. Nivel concentrated on one of the wolves auras to see if they were still under the influence of Marrick’s tactic, and to her relief they remained distracted at least until she lost the connection.

“Thank the gods” Nivel exclaimed as she spotted the tell tale steam of the hot springs in the not to far distance. The pycon made a small prayer to the god of alchemy for the good fortune of both her and her comrades. Nivel’s nexus was still pulsating in excitement and fear, but it was slowing down with each passing chime.

“You’re not a coward Marrick!” Nivel piped up in protest to the Tall Folks self deprecation from out of Katelyns pocket “You handled yourself wonderfully back there, I don’t know what you did but you distracted those beasts and got us out of a sticky situation.” She quickly realized she was being a bit to over zealous and calmed herself “…and yes I agree we should head into the springs”

“Now that things have gotten quieter I’ll answer your questions” Nivel whispered to katelyn as she walked her horse “Ever since my body formed my father began teaching me the magical arts. Although I was first lectured extensively of their dangers and such, there are quite a few. one pycon who shared the same clay as my father exploded and another went insane but they were reckless and foolish and let the magic go to their nexus,If you use magic responsibly and in moderation you should be fine.” After their recent ordeal Nivel didn’t want to be to serious but she also didn’t want this new squire to get the wrong impression of the practice. Many squires ether though it would be a fun past time or that it was something to constantly be in fear of. Nivel hoped to give the new recruit a balanced perspective.
“As for sewing, I would love to teach you eventually..at the moment I’m not very good. I mostly learned from watching my Patron do it, she’s very good I should probably ask her for an actual lesson instead of figuring it out on my own.” The pycon wasn’t sure why she hadn’t set down for a lesson but most of her time spent with her patron was dedicated to being a squire and needle and thread were not skills of a knight.

“Do you see anything?” Nivel whispered to the group. There seemed to be a bit of plant life but nothing seemed to match the description of the herb they were looking for. It took her a while with all the puffs of steam diluting the visibility in the area but she could swear she spotted a cluster of flowers with a mixture of pink and crimson flowers peeking out from behind a boulder. It was of course on the other side of the steaming water which made the Pycon groan a bit internally.
“There! I think I see Beltor root behind that rock” Nivel extended out her arm and waved it about to catch the others attention. “At least I’m pretty sure it is”
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on April 29th, 2015, 1:49 pm

She was impressed with Nivel's ability to see the wolves before they had even appeared, but was too eager to be gone from them to bother prying. Katelyn was relieved by Marrick's quick thinking--but pitied the sacrifice of food--and didn't need to be told twice to get moving. The squire nudged Garrison forward, murmuring soft encouragement to him, keeping a tight rein in one hand for control, and stroked him reassuringly with the other. He rocked into a quick trot that strained her shoulder with the effort of keeping him check, and after a few quick strides abandoned her comforting to take up a stronger two-handed grip.

When Kate knew that Marrick was following along behind her, abandoning the wolves in a desperate flight, she let her stallion take his head and run. The were clearly merciful today, for they reached the springs in what seemed like no more than a moment. Fear had made their flight quick, and their warhorses covered the last lengths in no time at all. As she slowed her horse she released a heavy sigh, and only then realized how bad she was trembling from the adrenaline. The stress of it all threatened to make her lose her grip on the saddle and topple over. Katelyn slumped in her seat, half-heartedly smiling at Marrick, and when she remembered, peeled back her cloak to check on the Pycon in her pocket.

She agreed with Nivel, scoffing at the dark-haired squire's talk of cowardice, and followed his lead deeper into the springs where the air was warm and moist. "You saved our asses. Simple as that," she said, and as Garrison plodded past a pool of hot water, gently lifted Nivel out of her pocket and sat her on the front of the saddle. As the Pycon talked Katelyn felt herself relaxing, and enjoyed the casual feeling that slowly replaced her twitching anxiety. Still, some of the things she was saying made the squire's stomach twist. "Explode and go insane you say?" she asked, obviously horrified. Her face fell, and a shiver ran through her. She hadn't really known how dangerous magic was. Could humans explode from using it as well? She was glad when the conversation turned back to less dangerous hobbies.

"Well, I would love to sit down and learn with you. Gods know I need to figure out how to mend my own clothes instead of running to my mother every time I tear a shirt. And, what do you mean about your body forming?" She smiled now, curious again, but shook her head in answer to the next question. Kate wasn't good with herbs. Crops she knew. The standard, common ones that grew at the Outpost. This was not her usual kind of endeavor though. "I'm afraid you'll spot it far before I will," Kate admitted, and it ended up being the truth. Nivel's exclamation made her look about curiously, and when she followed the mage-squire's wild motioning, saw the burst of color growing out of the crack of a rock across one of the steaming pools.

Katelyn wasted no time dismounting, and helped Nivel down as well. It still surprised her how heavy the little creature was, but she was overly careful, unsure of how to handle her malleable body. It was definitely a strange sensation holding a big piece of moving, talking, thinking clay. "We need to find a good spot to tie the horses up," she said then to Marrick, and ran a hand down the back of her head. The humidity was making her hair damp and curly.

OOCNot a very good one.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Marrick Corvis on May 4th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Marrick smiled when both his companions diminished his fears that they might think him cowardly. Even Patcha snorted at him and the Kelvic smiled at his fellow humanimal and gave her a reciprocative scratch of her crown in thanks. “Thank yeh, both of yeh.” With a short exhale he dismounted with the sound of creaking leather and unlashed Patcha from his saddle. “C’mon wee Patch. Climb inta mah arms n’ Oi’ll put yeh down.” The Icy eyed squire’s smile was sweet in its entreaty. Perhaps it was this that gave Nivels little mount the courage to hop into the waiting arms of her fellow Kelvic, before he placed her gingerly on the muddy ground.

The trio and their mounts headed deeper into the hot springs avoiding mud pits, and other potentially treacherous terrain. After one got used to the smell of bad eggs, the heat was pleasurable. Like a warm blanket, or a bath. Marrick wondered what the water might taste like, or even feel like if one bathed. He imagined it would be quite toasty as the air about them was beginning to grow hot and wet with condensation.

As they strode onward slowly, the Kelvic listened to the pair of ladies as they talked. It was difficult to hear as they seemed to whisper back and forth in hushed tones not much different from the hissing and burble of the springs as they spewed hot water and bubbling mud. The little bits of the conversation he heard were of magic, a dangerous topic indeed. Ser Whitevine had spoken before regarding the peril of it. Though the few snippets the dark haired squire heard left him with a gnawing curiosity. When the pair grew quiet a new subject was broached. Sowing, a skill the Kelvic had never learned anything about, though he’d observed often.

It seemed their progress was slow, as they wound their way deep into the hot springs. The Kelvic had grown concerned that their search would be for naught, when the little Pycon spoke up. When she pointed out the flash of pink and crimson growing from a nearby rock Marrick halted Kiter’s slow pounding gate with a gentle pull of her bridle and a soothing stroke of her long neck. “Whoa lass.” He thrummed melodically at the great beast’s ear. When her great girth stopped at last she craned her neck around to nudge at the Kelvics shoulder almost as if to ask why they’d stopped.

Marrick had been stingy with her lately, and he worried that Kiter was beginning to wonder if he still cared about her. Soothing strokes, and loving rub downs can only get one so far in a relationship. Especially when the relationship was built on oats. As the Kelvic dug out the herbalist’s journal he grabbed a handful of the horses treat as well.

As he rounded back to the War Mares massive head he popped a small mouthful of the oats for himself before he palm fed the rest to his Tiaden. Kiter’s little chin whiskers tickled his fingers along with her breath. As the great beast who could easily bite off a piece of his hand daintily lipped the whole grains from is palm, Marrick felt no fear.

When his hand was clean of oats he wiped off the horse spit on his pant leg before he thumbed open the journal. The page that had information regarding the Beltor root was near the front, and old man Withers had even left a pressed sample sown into one of the pages. “Yeh have a good eye Nivel. It matches the sample in the journal, and the scrawl here descroibes a root, loike a dandeloion.

When Katelyn said they would need a good place to tie up the horses the Kelvic took a deep breath and nodded in thoughtful agreement. “Aye,” His eyes narrowed as he searched for a good tree to put their horses out of site. Outside the springs there were trees all about wearing their white mantles, though inside the springs, trees were less common. “What Oi wouldn’t give fer a post.” The Dark haired squire pouted his lips in thought as he searched through the wafts of steam. “If we had a bit a rope we could use a rock.” With a sigh of frustration he ran his fingers through his damp hair and shut his eyes.

As his eyes opened again he began his search anew. If there were no live trees they could use, perhaps they could make do with a dead one. “There!” the Kelvic pointed to a twisted tree that poked its fallen remnants out of the ground. “We’ll tie up there, and come back. Nivel, do yah think you n’ Patch will be able teh take care of the journal n’ get started gatherin the roots? We shouldn’ be more than a minute.”
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on May 21st, 2015, 6:06 am

“Of course!” Nivel replied earnestly to katelyn’s comment she tried to change the subject away from the horrors of magic. “I don’t really need clothes but they look nice and like to create them for myself” Clothing was one thing Nivel didn’t think she would adopt from the tall folk at first since it seemed so impractical but as soon as she started wearing armour she knew she liked it.

“Oh well yah know I grew up and stuff. I think pycon’s change more then humans do but we all start out smaller.” Nivel explained not realizing that her idea of smaller was much different than the other squires definition. The pycon assumed that every creature started out as a ball when they were born. Upon seeing what seeds look like her misconception was only further enforced, she was even under the impression that rocks were just baby mountains.

Patcha nuzzled up to Marrick as he scratched her crown, and let out a happy bark in thanks. The raven Kelvic was definitely her second favourite person next to Nivel of corse. The small dog was a little sad that she was placed on the soggy ground away form him but she knew she couldn’t stay that way for long. She barked her good byes before heading toward her tiny rider who was also let down to the steamy ground by Katelyn.

“Oh hey Patcha” Nivel said cheerfully upon seeing her mount, They pycon quickly mounted the wee pup as they traversed the steam and heat of Hot springs with their comrades. While the warmth was comforting, the bubbling mud and the subtle unpleasant odour kept the location form being completely welcoming.

Nivel had agreed to be the one to retrieve the plant while the others found a place to tie up there horses. She held the journal a above her head with her tails as if it were a make shift roof and went on her way towards the plant. The Beltor root was by no means in an easy location to get to, The pycon could have swam across but considering her last attempt it was likely she would sink right to the bottom. The route she had to take was covered in mossy boulders, patches of mud and small hills.

It seemed to take her quite a bit of time before Nivel was in the presence of her goal, but it was probably only a few chimes in reality. Nivel skimmed through the text on the beltor plant and proceed with the simple instructions out lined within. All she really had to do was carefully free the roots from the ground, which nivel didn’t think would be too difficult. She dismounted Patcha an went to work on the plant by turning her hands and tails into tiny shovels and chirping away at the dirt.

She soon noticed she was digging into natural clay and took a little sample of the peculiar light blue ground. It tasted like a crisp spring sky full of fluffy clouds and kind of made her feel drowsy but content.

The other two had arrived as she had just in time for her to finish digging the plant out.
“Could one of you carry the plant..It’s a bit too big for me” Nivel requested. Seeing as the plant had a stem that was more than twice the size of a standard pycon it was practically a tree to Nivel, and would not be something she could be trusted to carry.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on June 21st, 2015, 7:53 pm

As Nivel went off in the direction of their intended harvest, Kate and Marrick went to tie up the horses. She led the way carefully, over stones and across soft, muddy earth, guiding her stallion slowly. His shod hooves scraped and clacked against rock, snapped old branches, and squelched through puddles. By the time she secured him to the dead, gnarled tree, his fluffy feathered socks were caked in muck. It would be a chore to clean him off, but hopefully their ride back through the snow would do the hard work for her.

Katelyn was very aware of her friend close behind her, and while he was tying up his mare she smiled almost shyly at him. "How much of these plants do we need?" she asked as they turned and made their way back to the Pycon. It was a maze of stone and steam, and the fumes had her freckled cheeks flushed and a little lightheaded as a whole. Occasionally her boot would slip on a wet stone and her shoulder brushed her fellow squire's, eliciting a murmured apology and tingling chills. The redhead was reaching for something more to say but found that her wits had fled, leaving her tongue tied.

She was therefor relieved when they were once again in little Nivel's company, so much so that a gusty sigh escaped her. Katelyn plucked the large leafy plant from her clay grasp, smiling at the sight of her tiny body struggling under its many limbs. "You're a professional digger," she teased, looking around their vicinity for identical herbs. Using the long stalk in her hand as a reference didn't seem to help. It appeared that she was hopeless at identifying plants. She looked at her companions, hopeless and apologetic. "I think I'll just be the muscle for this trip," she joked.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Marrick Corvis on July 2nd, 2015, 7:58 pm

Kiter lumbered tiredly through the muck and mud, though the heat was welcome compared to the icy winds of winter while they walked in silence to their tying post. Little mud pots burbled noisily and the occasional geyser would spurt with a massive rush of water. The whole reminded Marrick of the stomach of some hungry beast.

His mind as always was wrapping around the why of it. Why did the hot springs burble. Why was it so warm while the rest of the world so cold. When they stopped to tie off their horses he caught Katelyns demure smile. Mysterious as it was it managed to steal Marricks attention. He smiled back, a crinkle at his eyes, though his teeth did not show. Kiter nudged him and he turned his attentions back toward his mount. He stole her a handful of oats from one of her saddle bags and palmed them for her to nibble. “Hush love, we’ll not be long.” He whispered into the horse’s cheek.

As they turned to head back to Nivel Katelyn had the right questions on her mind. A question of Need. “Tis a good question. Oi’m no herbalist. We aut teh look at the book. Oi’m certain it’d give us measurements or perhaps even an average outcome that the boilin of a single root could provide us.” The Kelvic wove his way between large stones, and around treacherous pits of bubbling hot water. Katelyn’s footing slipped and her shoulder bumped him. It was a small thing, but it made him chuckle. “Tis alroight. Be careful though, as much fun as fallin inta one of these things moight seem, Oi don’a want teh foind out how hard it’d be teh recover yeh.” He said with a sweet smile that transformed to one of mischief as he contemplated if such a thing would be so bad. Just a little shove and she’d be swimming. Then again, his initial thought was right, it could be dangerous, best to stick to the task at hand.

“Aye, Who needs a trowel when yeh have a Pyc around teh do the digging.” The Kelvic agreed with Nivels playful ribbing as he found a reasonably large stone to sit on nearby where they had found their first prize of the day. He watched as Katelyn observed the little details of the plant with a little smile before he too committed the little herb to memory. It was a humble little shrub. The leaves were a simple shape, and recognizable. Even if it weren’t flowering. The blooms were out of season of course, but in the hot springs the heat drove away any ice that might have dampened the plants spirits. It had both crimson and pink flowers attached at various points on the shrubs branches. It would be hard to miss. “It’s not a hard plant teh miss, especially if it’isnt bloomin.” He said as he stretched out on the warm stone and watched the plumes of steam rise into the cold sky.

“Oi could probably manage identifyin new plants if the two of yah want teh stick together. “Oh,” he exclaimed suddenly before he rose back into a sitting position. “Can Oi have a look at the book Nivel? We were curious how many plants we would need teh harvest.” As Nivel handed him the Herbalists journal the Kelvic thumbed through its pages from his makeshift chair until he discovered the pages on the Beltor Root and skimmed until he found the detail on uses and consumption. “Says here a root yields about an eighth of a cup of pure extract. We’d need several doses a’ that.” The Kelvic chewed his lip in thought as he closed the journal and tapped its binding with a pensive finger. “Old man Withers wanted a fair sum of these, n’ he was cleaned out. We should try our best teh get him stocked up fer the rest of the season at least before he can make the journey again himself.” His eyes narrowed in thought at the idea of a bag filled with plants. Do yah think about twenty teh twenty foive plants a piece is too much? Should take us about a bell or two before we head back teh Mithryn, with a short break in between teh give us fleshies a rest? What do the two of yah think?”
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on July 14th, 2015, 6:20 pm

“Thank you Katelyn! I try my best” Nivel replied happily to the compliment as the huge plant was lifted out of her tiny grasp. The following statement confused the pycon however “What’s a muscle…?” The suddenly perplexed pycon blurted out. It was a word Nivel had heard every now and again but never really asked about its meaning. “Is it someone that holds things for people?”

Marrick Asked for the book and Nivel picked it up off the ground near her and walked it over to him. He sat on a rock and rummaged through its pages until he had found the information he was looking for. After she heard the raven haired tall folk’s analysis, her posture dramatically slumped into a tiny pout. “We have to find 25 of these plants…but that’s sooo much!” Nivel protested but quickly remembered the unpleasant man she was getting these plants for “figures that old grump would need so many but wouldn’t tell us” she shook her fist at the air to show her displeasure “Well I guess we better get to work, If we split up will be able to collect more…we just can’t get to far apart incase wolves show up again” Nivel shuddered at the unpleasant thought “I’ll look over here” She pointed just past a few boulders were there seemed to be a lot of the bluish clay. “I have a feeling theres a few behind those big rocks.”

Nivel scurried over to the rocks, hoping there would be an easy way around them once she got closer. It became clear pretty quickly that Nivel would need to climb the rocks or swim in the hot springs around it, she took the safer option of climbing over the risky business of swimming. Not wanting to waste time, Nivel pounced on the biggest boulder and clung to the jagged edges. She stretched one arm to greater heights and had it grasp onto an edge, when she felt secure she moved her opposite leg to another ledge and her other armed followed. She was doing well until one of her legs slipped on the damp moss growing on it’s side. It derailed her progress but she was able to recover and continue the rest of the way. When she reached the top of the rocks she hoped there would be some more of the crimson plants hiding just beyond it. She was disappointed to find only a few generic weeds and bland looking dirt. Although her new vantage point removed most of the obstacles that obscured her view.

She scanned the misty landscape and spotted a patch of crimson growing at the top of a tiny cliff. Nivel did a mid air summersault of the rock and landed in the sticky mud underneath. The pycon ran towards the foot high cliff and extended her arms long enough to grab hold of the rocky edge then retracted her arms as she held on tight. When she got to the top she found two Beltor plants waiting for her.
“I found some!” Nivel hollered back to her fellow squires.

She dug through the tough soil to free the plants from the ground again, although this time was far more difficult since the ground was not as accommodating. When she was done she grabbed one plant in each arm and walked along the cliff past the rocky barrier she had climbed earlier. She jumped off the cliff when she was back to the meeting place and placed them on the ground for the others to gather for her.
“I’ll go find more” She stated before heading out in a different direction.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Elias Caldera on January 16th, 2016, 1:37 am

Behold, Your Just Reward!

Nivel

Experience and Lore :
Skills
  • Rhetoric +2
  • Socialization +4
  • Riding +2
  • Observation +3
  • Auristics +2
  • Animal Husbandry +1
  • Herbalism +2
  • Land Navigation +1
  • Leadership +1
  • Climbing +1

Shield Points
  • +3 [Gathering Medicinal Herbs]

Lores
  • Katelyn: The Fiery Haired Squire
  • Riding: Recognizing the Limits of Your Mount
  • Herbalism: Winter Herbs

Miscellaneous :
Injuries
  • None

Loot and Expenses
  • None

Comments :
    A pleasant thread, though I did struggle to find any meaningful lores for you. If there were any in particular you were hoping for let me know.

Marrick and Katelyn

Please update your ledgers if you want to receive your grades.

Don't Forget

Now that your thread is graded, be sure to edit your grade request. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to send me a private message and we'll work it out together.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous