An Inarta Walks into a Bar

(Azira) Job Thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Izuyanai on April 17th, 2016, 5:25 am

The raven observed as Azira began her inspection of the cheese. Her golden eyes were locked onto the platter, and she was turning her head as if to get a better perspective. Izuyanai felt mild pity for the cheeses that had to undergo such intense scrutiny from Azira's piercing eyes. If she remembered correctly, Wind Reach occasionally traded with Lhavit for Okomo products. Though perhaps these foods were rare in the market place. She had certainly never bought the stuff.

“It’s true that celebration consumes excess food. I don’t know if you know this, but we had to ration what we had left last winter. It was a brief scare but now we know to prepare more."

Briefly stepping away from the counter, Izuyanai approached the customer who was now preparing to leave.

The customer wordlessly dropped the expected amount of kina into her palm, but nodded politely as he made to exit the building. The echo of his boots on the stone steps outside were quickly cut off as the figure faded and the door swung shut. Crisp mountain air swirled around the room and caused the blue lights to gutter, before finally being warmed by the cozy atmosphere.

Pocketing the change, Izuyanai started on a route back to the bar. An older woman, seated a ways from Azira at the counter, brushed the kelvic's sleeve, and ordered a cocktail. Izuyanai settled herself by the bar again and resumed their previous conversation while assembling the materials needed.

"Oh, how did you like our Okomo cheese?”

The bartender gestured to the now empty platter, smiling knowingly.

Izuyanai laughed as she remembered what Azira had mentioned before, her shoulders shaking in an attempt to suppress the noise. “You can’t live in Kalea and be afraid of heights. But yes, I favour birds. Especially the black feathered subjects of Eywaat,” she added with a sly smile. “It seems that many people in Wind Reach work with birds. Did you or do you, by chance have an occupation with them? I know some hunters use falcons and the like to catch prey. And of course there are the Endal”

The kelvic tilted her head, awaiting an answer. She might have left out a lot of details about her family but she was eager to hear high praise of her feathered species.

“Would you know anything about falconry? I was actually hoping to keep a feathered companion myself, but I haven’t had the chance.”

Izuyanai recovered a clean glass, pouring amber colored brandy while layering it with syrup and a dash of aperitif. She grabbed a small knife from its holder and sliced away at the skin of an orange. The incision introduced a burst of citrus scent into the air while the peel was twisted over the drink and placed carefully for aesthetics. With the Sun's Glory completed Izuyanai slid if over to the awaiting customer.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on April 22nd, 2016, 11:21 pm

The Inarta had much to say about the use of food at festivals and rationing, but it had to wait until the woman returned to the bar. Everyone seemed to be taking the opportunity to refresh their orders now that Izuyanai wasn't occupied with her conversation with Azira; she didn't know if they'd have a chance to continue talking. Luckily, she seemed inclined to continue speaking with her even as she mixed a cocktail in front of her. She hoped that the woman who had most recently ordered would be the last to garner the bartender's attention for awhile.

Izuyanai had immediately engaged her with a question so that the huntress was forced to answer it before she could add anything more. At least it was still on the subject of food so it gave her a good in to respond to the other's prior comments.

"I liked it... much?" she voiced uncertainly in Common. She didn't know if that was the right sentence structure and she was self-conscious that she might have gotten it wrong. She was certain that Izuyanai would correct her if necessary. "Cheese is not something I have often. Very rare. Works well with wine, but I didn't know until finished," she explained, sighing as she regarded the empty plate. She pushed it towards the bartender looking hopeful. "More, please?"

She took another sip of wine before launching in to the commentary that she had been saving up. The words of Common were coming to her more easily and quickly now as she was forced to be immersed in it. She could still trip up on her choice of words or her sentence structure but she could grudgingly admit that Izuyanai forcing her to speak the foreign tongue was beneficial to the huntress.

"Festivals. They use up extra food but if you do not have extra... You speak of rationing but you know nothing of it here. In Wind Reach, we ration every winter. We gather and store food all year but it does not do all winter. Bad year, we start rationing early. Good year, we ration late. Few years ago, we rationed all winter. All food is needed so I see festivals as waste. You have more food here, very lucky, so it's okay here but not at home." She smiled, happy with the way her speech had gone. It was a lot to say in one go and although she spoke an awful lot slower than the chattering native speakers that she'd heard, she was pleased.

The sniggered at the bartender's comment about heights. It was true that it was silly but she'd known those who were frightened at seeing the ground far below them. It was completely ridiculous but very possible. Those who visited were far more likely to be perturbed by the steps that the Inarta employed in places, but apparently Izuyanai wasn't one of them.

"Black-feathered birds? There are a few. Some are not as black but I know the words in Common, give me a moment... Crow? Raven? Which one did you mean?" she asked, perplexed. She found her face warming as the woman asked if she worked with birds. She could simply say that she didn't, but that wouldn't explain her embarrassment. She felt that she needed to provide the woman with an explanation.

"I do not work with birds. I... Birds do not like me... very much," she admitted grudgingly. She sighed, pointing at her golden eyes. "There is Inarta belief that those with my eyes were Wind Eagles before. In the life before this one I mean. If it's true... Wind Eagles can understand other birds but they do not interact. There is fear, there is... something between them. Maybe there is something in it. Wind Eagles can talk in your mind. Some have done with me but did not choose me. I am not good with birds. I could maybe help you. I get information but I have little knowledge," she explained, staring in to her glass as she finished, unable to meet the other's eye.
Nari | Common
Template courtesy of Khara
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Izuyanai on May 1st, 2016, 7:48 am

“I liked it very much,” Izuyanai chimed in helpfully. “I’m glad you approve of what food we have. I was telling the owners the other day that we should add more to the menu,” The bartender shrugged carelessly and shook her head. “Well, it’s their bar not mine.”

The raven nodded at her customer’s request and reached up to the cupboard to repeat the process while listening to Azira chatter animatedly in only slightly shaky Common. Izuyanai sliced a generous helping of the cheeses and collected the Inarta’s plate in order to lay out the food.

“Hm, perhaps you should invite your fellows up in Wind Reach to drop by exclusively for the Lhavitian festivals. Nab the food and run,” the Kelvic mused absentmindedly, spinning the knife between her fingers. The plate produced a small clatter as she set it in front of Azira once more.

“Not any bird in particular, although ravens are unmatched in my eyes,” Izuyanai narrowed her gaze in a quick smile before turning her attention to Azira’s faltering confession.

“Oh? Your eyes? Golden eyes?”

The raven leaned forward across the counter and blinked slowly as she peered at Azira’s face with more purpose. Azira’s eyes were indeed a shade of molten gold and it was understandable how such a belief would have sprung from them.

The other seemed down as she stared into the glass. Was she disappointed that no eagle had chosen her as a rider? Izuyanai had never bothered to worry about anything like that before. After all, why should she? She was no Inarta and she already had her own pair of wings. However, considering that the life of an Endal was revered and advantageous, it was no surprise that the other woman would be upset.

The raven thought for a moment, tracing a line on the counter as a silence settled between them. “If you really are a reincarnation of a Wind Eagle, perhaps it's not that they disapprove of you. Perhaps the reason they didnt choose you was because they knew you already had the chance to fly and that it was Lhex’s intentions for you to walk the ground this time.” The raven gave a half smile and looked up again. “However, it’s not my place and I wouldn’t know.”

Switching to a brighter tone Izuyanai straightened up saying, “If anything, you can at least take comfort in knowing that I for one, happen to find you quite charming. Don’t worry about the falconry. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to do some digging on my own. Now that you mention past lives, I wonder who or what I was in my previous life. I’m surprised I never gave it much thought before. The Inarta wouldn’t happen to say any thing about blue eyes would they?” She smirked, gesturing toward her own eyes. Taking fate’s irony into account, the raven could only imagine.

"You seem well versed in Wind Eagles. Do you know any other interesting details about them?" Izuyanai tilted her head, eager to learn more.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on May 1st, 2016, 10:51 pm

"That's it!" the huntress chimed in, smiling her thanks at the bartender. "It is... very nice. The owners should listen to you, I think. I think you have a good idea. Also... what is this place called? It is written outside but... I do not understand the words."

The redhead watched Izuyanai preparing her food with eyes hungry with anticipation. She wasn't trying to humour the girl by complimenting her suggestion about the menu; she genuinely believed it was a good idea. She might only work there but that didn't mean that she couldn't provide good business advice. If her treatment of Azira was anything to go by then she had quite an intimate relationship with her customers and knew what it was they wanted. She highly doubted that the owners, whoever they were, had as great an understanding of those who entered their bar. She accepted the platter of cheese with barely suppressed glee and began taking cheese and wine together although she was careful not to drink the alcohol too fast. This time she had the wisdom to prolong the experience. Of course, neither the food or drink would last forever and when they were both gone so was the Inarta.

Izuyanai's comment pertaining to the Inarta stealing food from the Lhavitian festivals earned a narrow-eyed stare from Azira. She tried to determine if the other was being serious or making a joke. Regardless of how she had intended it to sound, the recommendation rubbed the huntress up the wrong way. The food situation in Wind Reach were nothing to joke about, at least not for an outsider--the citizens could sometimes get away with it.They were neither desperate enough nor discourteous enough to come to a neighbouring city to steal food from right under their noses. The notion was distasteful to her. They were far better than that and she reasoned that the other had learned nothing of their character or else didn't care about what the huntress had told her. The remark had been made in such an offhand way that she suspected the latter. Alses wouldn't have said something like that, not based on the conversation they had had at the turn of the season. The Ethaefal had been genuinely concerned about Azira's people and she would no doubt frown on this idea of stealing, although such disapproval would no doubt stem from the fact that stealing had been made necessary when Lhavit could have simply given it.

She nodded along vaguely to the other's comment about ravens as she munched away at her cheese, her thoughts wrapped up in images of the beautiful mage who kept drifting in to her mind these days. She was knocked out of her pleasant reverie by the intense scrutiny of Izuyanai. Her initial response was to stare wide-eyed at the woman, which of course gave her plenty to look at as her golden irises better caught the light. Once she realised what she was doing, her head dipped down as she avoided the other's gaze. Her cheeks warmed from her sudden self-consciousness. Did she really have to stare to determine her eye colour? Why couldn't she simply have believed her rather than gazing at her quite so intently? It was more than a little unsettling to the young woman.

Her eyes flicked up abruptly to meet the other's gaze. She cocked her head to the side, bird-like as she considered the other's assessment. "Do you think so? I've never thought like that before but... maybe there is something to it," she mused, her gaze becoming distant for a moment or two. The woman had probably only said it to try to make her feel better, but it certainly was an intriguing notion that she had had her time in flight already and that it was the turn of others now. Though considering how wonderful flight was, even from the limited perspective of a rider, she couldn't understand any Wind Eagle wanting to deprive one of their own from it, even if they were earthbound in this life. No, it was something she was doing wrong, she was sure of it. Perhaps it was her interest in what lay outside Wind Reach. The giant raptors were home birds after all, meaning that leaving Mt. Skyinarta was unthinkable to them. The Endal who had brought her to Lhavit had been disapproving of her decision to leave. If more had known then they no doubt would have seen it as strange and selfish. She was a hunter, such an important person in their society who ensured they didn't starve, and she had chosen to damn them because of her own curiosity. Truly, what Wind Eagle would have her?

At the mention of her being charming, the huntress snorted but made no comment. She couldn't determine what had led to such assessment but she was fairly certain that the bartender was lying through her teeth. She was present for their conversation after all so she couldn't think that there was anything charming about the redhead at all, unless she had a very strange notion of what it meant. The young woman was fairly sure that she was thinking of the correct meaning so she couldn't understand why the other had chosen to use it when it so obviously didn't apply to her. She shook her head in response to Izuyanai's question, trying to shake off her melancholy as much as anything else. "We do not say anything about blue eyes. I know of no bird with blue eyes. If it does not involve a bird, we do not tend to be interested," she explained. "Birds are not all we think about but they are the most important."

The huntress licked the salty morsels of Okomo cheese from her lips so as not to cover the rim of the glass with the creamy substance. She took a quiet sip, contemplating if she would share more about the enormous eagles. Izuyanai clearly wanted to know more about them but then that wasn't strange for an outsider. If she had been in Wind Reach though then surely she had seen and heard something of the birds. There was no way she could have avoided all mention of them and her understanding of Nari would be more than sufficient for her to pick up on things. But how many things were simply known, knowledge that had been picked up from early Yasihood without any recollection of where it came from or when exactly it reached their ears. Perhaps she had been too quick to judge.

"There is much to tell but... I do not know what it is that you know. I do not want to bore you by telling you things you already know. I do not know what it is that you would like to know. Tell me and I will have somewhere to start," she responded slowly, visibly seeming to consider her sentence construction as she spoke.
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Izuyanai on May 15th, 2016, 4:50 am

“Oh!” Izuyanai took a step back, her boots clacking against the flooring as she did so. The raven then swept her arms wide so as to indicate the entire establishment, “Welcome to the Scholar’s Demise, esteemed patron. We boast the title of best tavern in Lhavit, open both day and night. Excellent naming sense as well, no?” Folding her arms in front of her chest, she went on to question, “Actually, this is a rather difficult place to find. I assumed you already knew of its existence, but I suppose you came across this tavern on an adventure?”

The location of the bar was another thing Izuyanai might have argued. It was tucked away in a side street, away from the majority of the traffic roaming the Plaza. This might not have been the wisest thing to do when one considered the rate of sales. However, that also meant many customers were a select group of individuals who were familiar with the city. The majority were loyal patrons and that meant fewer unsavoury characters. A plus when the raven’s job was interacting with said customers. It was, however, refreshing when a new bird wandered in to try the tavern’s drinks.

She seemed to have caused discomfort for Azira at some point. There was a certain tension over the Inarta’s brow and her gaze was a little sharper than before. It was especially evident when the other woman’s cheeks took on a tint of color and the golden eyes worked hard to avoid hers. The distinct image of Azira’s face matching the shade of her hair gusted through Izuyanai’s mind and the corner of her mouth strained in an attempt to hide her amusement. Too busy combating her thoughts, the Kelvic didn’t think to uncover the reason for her customer’s displeasure.

The raven gave a quick, rueful smile to the derisive reaction she received from her compliment. It was a shame Azira had chosen to disregard it so easily. Charming could be many things and to Izuyanai, her present customer was one of them. Obviously, Azira did not agree and the bartender couldn’t help but detect a slight sadness in the way she denied it.

“Who can say?” Izuyanai shook her head in answer to Azira’s musings. “Perhaps you will yet catch their attention. But you said something about Wind Eagles talking in someone’s mind. How does that work? That would have to mean they are equally as intelligent as other sentient races, no? They would need to speak “language”, Nari, I suppose. While we’re on the subject, how does one get chosen to be a rider? Does it happen on a chance meeting or do many people gather at once to vie for the Eagle’s attention?”

Each query followed the next in rapid succession as the Kelvic verbally followed her newly spun web of thoughts. Hopefully, she hadn’t left the Inarta behind in the dust. The raven had the unfortunate habit of expecting others to have the patience and listening skills required to keep pace with her curiosity. It had more to do with being lost in thought than any indication of ill-will or arrogance, however.

One could easily come across the simple information of what the Wind Eagles were. The Inarta cherished them, and to other cities, they were a valuable means of trade and interaction. However, Izuyanai had stayed away from the Endal, and therefore had no idea of what the inner workings of the relationship between a rider and eagle might be. Perhaps it was not unlike the bond Kelvics formed with their bondmates. She was more familiar with that concept, at least. The Endal were of a higher caste, and the raven had never liked the idea of someone with imagined power looking down at her. She had never bothered to mingle with them, asking these questions.
OOCSorry I'm late. Life was busy
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on May 20th, 2016, 7:10 pm

The Inarta snorted at Izuyanai's dramatic introduction of the establishment. She did a slow, mocking clap and shrugged at the other's question.

"Demise is a word for... death, yes? And scholar has something to do with learning, I think, like a... student. Is that right?" the huntress pronounced slowly, checking to see that what she was saying made sense aloud. "Adventure may be a good word. I have been walking around to know the city more well. I did not know what this place might be until I came in here. It was a surprise," she explained, making note of what the bartender had said. The best tavern in Lhavit and one that never closed by the sounds of things. She wondered if it was idle boasting on the other woman's part. It would not be peculiar for someone to talk up the reputation of their place of employment out of pride and surely if it was the best, it would be far busier than it was.

She swilled the wine around in her glass, enjoying its aroma and breathing it in deeply as she regarded the bartender. She munched away at the cheese, her expression thoughtful and preoccupied as she continued to think about home and Wind Eagles and how she had felt like a failure when she had failed to bond time and time again. Izuyanai had attempted to make her feel better but Azira still had her doubts, that she was too broken to be wanted by any of the giant raptors. She had something wrong with her, something inside her and it was something that the birds could feel. They simply knew and it was because of that they hadn't attempted the bond. That was why ordinary, smaller birds didn't like her either.

The bartender wasn't going to leave her alone to her own thoughts however, as she began asking questions. So many of them in fact that the huntress had a hard time keeping up, trying to hold each word of Common in her mind as best as she could.

"So you don't want to know much then?" she murmured wryly, the corner of her mouth turning up in a smirk as she contemplated the many answers she would have to give. She sipped at her wine thoughtfully, setting it back down and resting her chin on her hand as she prepared to speak. It was clear that she was going to great lengths to piece together her phrases in Common before she talked.

"Wind Eagles speak in two ways. They speak in your mind if they want to. They will not talk to everyone. It is Nari but it is like... you hear it. I talk to you and you hear it but a Wind Eagle speaks in to your head. They can send you other things. You can see some of what they see. If they speak from far away, you can speak to them too much with your mind. They have to let you. They can talk out loud too but they do not do that often. They might talk if they want to insult you like you are not good enough for mind speaking," she explained, slightly irritated by the repetitiveness of the words she was using. "It is different for Endal. They are one with their Eagle. I think it is like with Kelvics? They feel what the other feels and they can talk further away than normal, they can think and move as one because they can talk to each other very fast, it is like that" The Inarta clicked her fingers together with a sharp snapping sound.

"Anyone can bond with a Wind Eagle if it likes them. They can be a drudge or a child, it does not matter. When they are old enough, they want a rider and everyone comes. They will clean their shyke up, they will fight each other, they will do anything it takes to get the attention of the Wind Eagle. The young ones like ones who are almost stupid. They should get themselves killed but they don't and those ones are the ones those Eagles want. An Eagle can break a bond or their rider can die or have something go wrong so they can't ride anymore. They can choose new riders or they might stay alone for years. They choose the riders, not the other way around. And males usually bond with males and females with females. Sometimes they choose the opposite sex but it does not happen often. I do not know why. Maybe it is because they have similar minds? I do not know what makes a Wind Eagle choose a rider."

The redhead shrugged and polished off the end of the cheese, pairing it with another sip or two of wine. The glass was almost empty which meant she wouldn't be staying for much longer.

"Do you want to know something else? I feel you have a question or two more in you." The young woman laughed heartedly and drank more of the wine.
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Izuyanai on June 23rd, 2016, 7:04 am

Though the bartender smiled somewhat apologetically at the Inarta's sarcasm, the glint of curiosity never left her eyes. With Izuyanai's current job, she saw all kinds of people come and go through the tavern door. However, being able to catch someone for a longer conversation was a rarer occurrence. As with any good student, she wasn't about to let an opportunity slip by.

"I learn what I can," she said with a dismissive flick of her wrist, and passed the waiting time by subtly rearranging the floral decorations on the counter.

The Kelvic listened raptly as Azira launched into speech after thorough deliberation. She nodded occasionally to let the other know she was following along, and tilted her head to the side as her various questions were provided with answers.

"I see, so it is somewhat like a Kelvic bond," she murmured as Azira concluded. "I'd rather like it if I could have a short conversation with one of your eagles someday. Using whichever method. I know that they rarely pair with those who are not Inarta. They must be terribly choosy. Do you think they'd approve of me enough to have a chat?"

Whether the raven would earn the eagles favor or no, the explanation had solidified that the bonds between eagles and their Endal were similar to that of Kelvics. While that had made the subject matter more familiar to her, it opened up even more questions. Personal ones. What exactly was the kelvic bond? Izuyanai of course had enough knowledge through observation and study, but she couldn't help but be reminded of how much mystery there was. How, and more importantly, why? That would have to wait, as her customer required her attention. It was no time to be far away, exploring distant thoughts.

Izuyanai broke away from her reverie and turned her attention back to the fiery haired woman.

"All this mystery makes me wonder if anyone has ever asked the eagles why they chose their rider. I wonder if they consciously know? Either way, thank you, I'd say your Common is already that much better. Oh, would you like another glass?" The bartender questioned, reaching for the bottle and peering closely at it to examine the label.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on July 1st, 2016, 11:44 pm

The other had clearly picked up on her sarcasm but it hadn't dampened her enthusiasm to learn what the Inarta had to teach. The huntress could admire the bartender's curiosity and willingness to pursue what interested her. In that respect, they were kindred spirits, each open to every opportunity to discover new things and squeeze a potential source for everything it had. Azira was happy to oblige, offering as in-depth explanation as she could muster in the Common language as she tried to give answers to all of the woman's questions. She'd done her best to ensure that there were no gaps and that there would be no need for Izuyanai to question her further on the same matters. However, she was under no illusion that the other would stop grilling her regarding Wind Eagles. Her interest in them was too great for her to be pleased with a few simple answers. She would want to know absolutely everything. She'd probably want to know how many times they shyked a day as well, she was so invested in the subject. The girl might try to hide it, but the intense look in her eyes gave her away, showing just how much the dire birds fascinated her. Izuyanai had busied herself with other things during the Inarta's lengthy speech but she sensed that the bartender hung on her every word and every nuance of tone.

The young woman considered the Kelvic comment carefully before nodding slowly in hesitant agreement. [color=#ccddeea]"Yes, it could be like that. I do not know much about Kelvics. I do not think I can judge well. The bond must be accepted on both sides. That is the same and one side suggests the bond. Otherwise, I do not know,"[/color] she admitted, pondering what similarities and differences there might be between the two bonds. She was disgusted to find such a gap in her knowledge. She felt that she should know more about it but regretted that she did not. "I need to find a Kelvic to ask them," she admitted, speaking to herself in Nari although she spoke loud enough that Izuyanai would no doubt catch every word.

"They are open to chatting. They would need to be an adult or old enough to fly at least. Younger and they are more... wild," she explained. "After they become more... what is the word... tame? No, civilised. They could still rip you in half but they may give you a good reason first." The redhead smirked, the dark humour of her last comment dancing in her eyes in a wicked glint.

"Inarta are good at speaking in mind. Other peoples are not as good. They would rather speak in mind than out loud. They might let you chat. Who knows what goes on in their minds? In some ways, they are more than us," she commented philosophically. "If a rider asks, it probably stays between them and the eagle. Each eagle is individual and so they do not choose for the same reasons. Maybe similar but each is different in own way so it does not matter, really."

She downed the last of her wine, picked what remaining morsels of cheese that she could from the plate and removed them eagerly from her fingers. She rubbed her hands in an absentminded way on her trouser legs and fished out some money. The appropriate coins were placed on the counter, the huntress piling them neatly as she talked.

"I will not have more. If I drink more then it will not go well. I do not drink. It is not normal. I do not want to land in a heap or wake up with a pain in my head. I shouldn't eat more either. I cannot eat here all night," she laughed, pushing the neat coin pile towards the other so that she could count it and do what she needed with it.

"If you want, I will talk to you for another while. Half a bell, more, but I will not buy more."
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Izuyanai on July 24th, 2016, 2:18 am

A smile teased the corner of Izuyanai's mouth as she caught the soft phrase spoken in Nari. She concluded that it was amusing to hide in plain sight. Sometimes this was just as effective as an elaborate scheme and at times, worked even better.

"You should have luck finding Kelvic in Lhavit," she said nodding out toward the rest of the city.

Izuyanai had read once, that Kalea hosted a significantly larger count of shifters than other places in the world. Since she had never recognized many Kelvic other than her family in Wind Reach, those of her kin with business in urban areas had to be roaming about either Lhavit or Alvadas.

"If you'd like to learn more about their bonds, your best bet would be interviewing a bonded pair."

Even if she were to oblige in answering Azira's queries about the nature of Kelvic bonds, Izuyanai doubted she would be of much use. She had observed bonds before, yes, but that would hardly provide satisfactory details for her Inarta customer. The most reliable source would be an account of personal experience.

It was a relief to hear that the eagles would be open to conversation. Izuyanai had been afraid of there being a greater chance at rejection due to the nature of the great birds. It was less comforting to hear that the fascinating creatures could eviscerate her with a single swipe. Nevertheless, Azira's dark wit made it so she couldn't help but chuckle through her grimace.

"I suppose it would be in my best interest not to give them one, then," she said primly.

Azira polished off the last of her order and wiped her hands off on her clothes. Izuyanai had to restrain the instinct to hand the fiery haired woman a napkin. Her fingers at her side twitched uselessly in reaction. It seemed that an entire life spent preening feathers to perfection had left its mark on her habits.

It was too late to be of assistance to, however. Any attempt at this point would only appear condescending rather than helpful. Izuyanai regretted not having had the foresight when serving her. Tucking away the reminder for another time, she let her eyes follow Azira's fingers as they stacked the glinting coins.

Listening to her customer's remark about the murkier aspect of spirits, Izuyanai nodded saying, "A wise choice. We here at this tavern would make sure you woke up safely, at least. I'm sure that's a lot more than what is guaranteed in other places. Still, I wouldn't know how to cure that horrible headache", she finished.

She should learn. Perhaps they would prove useful for magic induced headaches. Or was that a different sort of ailment.

Izuyanai accepted the coin by scooping them off the counter and flicked them around on her palm, doing the necessary math. Aleah probably could have calculated much faster. Reading was one thing, yet math was another. Part if the reason why she was still so terrible was that she'd never bothered to practice much.

"Two glasses and two platters. That makes... six and two fives, so sixteen. Yes?"

Though she could spend hours with a good conversation, Izuyanai shook her head at Azira's offer. It wasn't the customer's responsibility to keep the bartender company.

"I've kept you for a while now and you still have a lot of city to explore and settle into."

The coins clinked slightly as Izuyanai stowed them away to add to the sales later.

"Do come again, though. I want to hear more from you when you do," she said smiling, her voice not sickeningly bright enough for her statement to be a sales pitch.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 4th, 2016, 11:22 am

Grading Complete

Please edit your grade request thread so that it's obvious that it's been graded. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions/problems with your grade.

Name: Izuyanai

XP Award:
  • Gardening 1
  • Observation 4
  • Socialisation 5
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Teaching 2
  • Subterfuge 2
  • Auristics 1
  • Mixology 1
  • Interrogation 2
  • Mathematics 1
Lore:
  • Socialisation: Speaking their language
  • Lhavit: Customs of Okomo
  • Wind Eagles: Can form a bond
  • Wind Reach: Myths around golden eyes
  • Wind Eagles: Speak in the Mind
  • Azira: Charming Inarta
Name: Azira

XP Award:
  • Socialisation 5
  • Interrogation 2
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Teaching 5
Lore:
  • Lhavit: Time of day less important
  • Lhavit: Okomo are overrated
  • The taste of Okomo cheese
  • Izuyanai: Friendly bartender
Notes: A great thread, well done guys! Enjoy your grades :)
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous