Constellation Project

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Constellation Project

Postby Vellichor on August 1st, 2016, 2:46 pm

Constellations

Hello my Lore Weavers. I’ve been planning a group development of the constellations of Mizahar. As of right now, the skies are awfully empty and skills like astrology, astronomy, and navigation cannot be fully developed. Therefore, I invite the players to contribute in painting the night sky.

The process of submission will follow the usual steps of Discussion, Workshop, Peer Review, and then Founding. We will be looking for submissions of constellations, individual stars, and perhaps even planets. Contributors are asked to communicate and collaborate in order to create comprehensive lore of the stars.

Though the world of Mizahar follows rules similar to Earth in this aspect, questions are encouraged as much of the sky is blank. From the lore of Syna and Leth, we can surmise that Mizahar has one sun and one moon. Otherwise, there was been very little mention of the heavens. Scribes will be available for advice and so will other players. Anywhere that players cannot assist, founders and storytellers are asked to intervene and set the developer on the right path.

As always there should not be any plagiarising and works submitted should be original and in keeping with current Mizaharian lore. I look forward to your submissions and various contributions. May Zintila’s glory shine upon you all.

Code: Select all
Constellation/Star Name:
Cultural Origin:
Also Known In: List any other domains which recognize the constellation. Include any alternate names it is known by.

Description: Include things like the overall shape and pattern, size, orientation, number of stars, brightness, stars of notable color, etc.

Visibility: Include things like direction, altitude from the horizon, cities/regions it can be seen from, and whether visibility is affected by the time of night or season.

Significance: Is this constellation typically referenced in navigation? Does it herald a change of season, solstice or equinox, particularly good or bad weather? Is it associated with particular character traits, with good or ill turns of fortune, etc.? Do people wish on it, swear by it?

Mythology: This section should emphasize the story behind the constellation -- the deity, historical event, fable, or morality story to which the constellation is linked. Is it the constellation of a dread monster or legendary hero, a prized (or plebeian) item, the representation of a god, or something else entirely? If applicable, you can also include the history of the constellation, when and why it became commonly recognised.

Other: Anything else you might like to add.
Vellichor
Promoting weapons of mass creation

Words: 25755
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2016, 3:09 am
Race: Staff account

Constellation Project

Postby Sayana on August 1st, 2016, 3:51 pm

Firstly, I'd love to see more development of the stars. It's exciting to get a better sense of what's actually in the sky and I can't wait to start making references to certain stars/constellations for aesthetic purposes or navigational purposes.

Secondly, I'd like to tentatively propose a zodiac system which might include many (but not all) constellations. On Earth we have the 12 zodiac signs that correspond to months that certain constellations are most visible. Back in January of this year, there was discussion on Chat about having a Mizahar zodiac.

Here is the Zodiac discussion that came out of the Chat ideas. The basic premise would be that each zodiac corresponds to a Mizahar city and features something very symbolic of the city.

While it might seem hard-pressed and too perfect a system to have a constellation for each city, we're still talking about random dots in they sky and I'd like to note that Earth's zodiac constellations often look nothing like the pictures they attempt to be. Constellations are a very human thing making sense of the world, and it wouldn't be surprising if constellations changed (or our depiction of them changed) over large spans of time.

Below in the spoiler were my original thoughts on how to lay out the zodiac. But do read the rest of the Zodiac discussion thread since there were some really good pieces of insight.

Potential Outline :
On chat there was discussion of making the constellations correspond to the cities of Mizahar. There was a general agreement of 24 (6 per season).

I thought it would be nice to have it make geographical sense and I sorted the more popular cities by season based on their geography. If you go clockwise it would be something like this:

Summer: Ahnatep, Yaheba, Taloba, Zinrah, Black Rock, Abura
Fall: Sultros, Lhavit, Alvadas, Denval*, Kalinor, Wind Reach
Winter: Avanthal, The Spires, Sahova, Nyka, Ravok, Mura
Spring: Endrykas, Riverfall, Kenash, Syliras, Zeltiva, Sunberth

Feel free to rearrange the cities within each season. Also, this is merely an idea that you can use if you like and tweak with what fits.

It would be rather fitting for Syliras to be the first constellation of the year, and Ravok to be the last. *has personal biases*

Edit: * Since Denval was isolated long after the Valterrian, perhaps originally Lhavit had two constellations dedicated to it and then the city decided to give Denval a constellation when it was discovered.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Constellation Project

Postby Sayana on August 1st, 2016, 5:37 pm

Constellation/Star Name: Sunberth Dagger
Cultural Origin: Zeltiva (those of Sunberth may claim its origin, however it was an astronomer of Zeltiva who first noted its configuration)
Also Known In: Recognized in cities across Sylira, namely Sunberth, Zeltiva, and Syliras. Lhavit also recognizes this constellation.

Description: The Sunberth Dagger consists of five primary stars and one much smaller one. The primary stars make up the rough shape of a dagger, while the last one has a hint of red to its hue and thus resembles a drop of blood. This sixth star is often referred to as the blood star.

The sixth smaller star has the unusual characteristic of never being quite in the same place. The changes are gradual and most people would not be able to track the path of the star, however, Sunberthians pride themselves that even their constellation defies the laws of the sky.

OOC NoteThe sixth star is a planet and thus migrates in the sky depending on the season, year, etc.

Visibility: The constellation is most predominant in the Spring and can be seen soon after the snows melt in the city of Sunberth. Usually this is a time of chaos since food is especially scarce after a long winter. There is no particular direction that the dagger points to, though people claim that if you follow the tip of the dagger you'll soon find death. In a city like Sunberth, this is a self-fulfilling prophesy due to the high mortality rate.

Significance: The sixth star that represents a drop of blood has been a perplexity to many who study the stars. Those who are less knowledgeable in astronomy, or those who simply don't care, have told all sorts of tales regarding it. While not always visible, people swear that when the blood star shines a bright red, death and chaos is imminent. Some people even refuse to leave their homes when it is shining clearly. Other nights, when only the dagger stars are visible, Sunberthians are more prone to making alliances and fair deals. The rare times when the blood star is almost at the tip of the dagger, there is a sense of anticipation for those superstitious of the stars.

Mythology: ((To be written)) This section should emphasize the story behind the constellation -- the deity, historical event, fable, or morality story to which the constellation is linked. Is it the constellation of a dread monster or legendary hero, a prized (or plebeian) item, the representation of a god, or something else entirely? If applicable, you can also include the history of the constellation, when and why it became commonly recognised.

Zodiac: Those born under the Dagger are noted to have very outgoing and rebellious personalities. Some can be highly charismatic, but always watch your back when a Dagger is about.

Other: Anything else you might like to add.

The above is a work in progress, but I wanted to put down some thoughts and ideas.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Constellation Project

Postby Vellichor on August 4th, 2016, 9:13 am

I like where the Zodiac sign idea is going.
There will have to be a lot of finetuning, but it's a fun idea.
I'd like to hear the thoughts of others regarding this system.
Thanks for suggesting it, Sayana!
Vellichor

Constellation Project

Postby Vesi Galesong on August 10th, 2016, 11:33 pm

So I was reading that thread Sayana mentioned, and someone had said that the people of Mizahar wouldn't know the difference between the stars and the planets. That got me thinking... what if they're not referred to as planets but something else? All I can think of calling them right now is a fickle star (because they can't decide where they want to be in the sky), but it doesn't have to be called that. Just something I had in mind and thought to share.
Vesi Galesong
Player

Words: 6747
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2016, 8:32 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Constellation Project

Postby Lrel on August 11th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Cosimia is not an astrologist, but more so a stargazer. That being said, there have been a thread or two where I have her mention stars above the Lhavit sky- some that are there year-round and others that move on the horizon with the seasons.
Would you like a description of these constellations she has spotted, or would you skip those, since they are not "professional" renditions, persay? I am not into astrology myself, and so I'm uncertain if these descriptions are even plausible as described.
Lrel
Player

Words: 20713
Joined roleplay: August 7th, 2015, 8:17 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Constellation Project

Postby Vellichor on August 15th, 2016, 4:53 am

Cosimia, go ahead and post those descriptions or create a constellation suggestion. It would be nice to get ideas, and even if you aren't confident about them, the scribes and other players will be willing to give some tips.

Vesi, if you go read the lore on familiars, there are several listed planets and I think we can use those as a base to build on. Perhaps not everyone in Mizahar will be educated about planets, but I believe that mages and other professionals will know what a planet is. Otherwise, as you said, they may be referred to as stars by an uneducated individual.
Vellichor

Constellation Project

Postby Vellichor on August 15th, 2016, 4:59 am

Worlds

Anashis
Fyrden
Jaleri
Kavaki
Kseyden
Shoyden
Swalden
Zaiden

I believe these might be expanded upon.
Vellichor

Constellation Project

Postby Vellichor on August 20th, 2016, 11:39 am

I believe this would be Avanthal's constellation.
Icewatch Sky

Also, Nightmare left us with this development.
Constellation Name: Kovinus' Diadem
Cultural Origin: Syliras
Also Known In: Syliras, Zeltiva, Lhavit, Avanthal. Also known as the Spines in Ravok, Nyka, Wind Reach, and Sahova. Sometimes portions are used in other constellations for more southern cities.

Description: Kovinus' diadem is a set of stars place in a main arc with 5 main bright stars that have an additional bright star radiating out for each star. The overall shape looks similar to a crown, coronet or diadem. The constellation is fairly bright in the evening sky and is notable by the varied color involved. Each star is considered a "gem" in the diadem, the brightest being the star Karnus, the king's diamond, followed by Diaclectus the citrine, Harnus the lapis, Velus the amethyst and Zelkus the garnet all of which are the main body of the "crown". The star connected to Harnus and whom is the middle most spoke of the crown is Fraetus the Opal and points towards the north star however, it is not in fact the north star however.

Visibility: Cities along the same equatorial line as Syliras (though it can be seen far below this line) and further north are considered circumpolar to Kovinus' Diadem meaning it is always above the horizon. It ascends in the northeast during spring evenings, and descends in the northwest on fall evenings.

Significance: This star system is fairly useful in navigation by sea and by cloudless evenings due to the nature of its orientation. Drawing a line from Karnus and Zelkus establishes a west to east line with Harnus in the middle, drawing a line between Harnus and Fraetus creates a north to south line. It is the best alternative over the polestar due to this perpendicular orientation.

It is typically associated with good luck, justice and wisdom and often plays into legends about any good king from before the Valterrian. Sometimes even directly quoted as being Kovinus' celestial crown. It's inversion heralds the midpoint of autumn and is sometimes attributed to the meaning and reason of the word "Fall" as an alternative name for autumn.

Sahovian wizards particularly despise the name and prefer to call it The Spines. Presumably as a descriptor than for any mythological reasons.

Mythology: The oldest myths that inspired the people of Syliras claim that it was a gift to a queen so wise that Zintilla herself lent her ear for advice and out of gratitude gave proof of her celestial right to rule to all who sat beneath the skies. With the Valterrain, the myths have changed a bit. One is more likely to hear about King Kovinus or a wise old king who ruled so justly over his subjects he was crowned by the sky itself.

*Please feel free to leave suggestions. I'll take it upon myself to implement them.
Vellichor

Constellation Project

Postby Ambrosia Alar on January 29th, 2018, 3:58 am

A New Constellation: The Aquiras Gate

Constellation Name: The Aquiras Gate
Origins: Pre-Valterrian Mizahar
Description: Image This constellation is made of eight stars shaped like the Watchtowers that are seen dotting Mizahar’s landscape in the typical lowercase ‘h’ fashion. Four stars make up the tower while three more create the gate that comes off its side. The final star sits above the four that make up the tower. This is the brightest star in the constellation and the brightest star in the sky, brighter than the second brightest by a magnitude of three. As it sits where the Watchstone would sit on a typical Watchtower, this star has become known as “The Watchstar” or “Lady Priskil’s Light.”
Visibility: The Aquiras Gate has a slight declination north from the celestial equator, making it visible to most cities on main continent of Mizahar. It is most prominent during the Summer months.
Significance: Due to the brightness of The Watchstar, this is an amateur astronomer’s favorite way of orienting themselves in the night sky. The constellation’s prominence also makes it seafarers’ best hope if navigating on overcast nights.
Mythology:
The Aquiras Gate appeared in the night skies many centuries before the Valterrian. The earliest recorded sighting of the constellation was 671 BV. It was said that before this time a great beast roamed Mizahar, moving freely between the Ukalas and the mortal realm and bringing destruction wherever it went. Many of the great deities went to war against the creature, but none returned unscathed, none returned victorious. Ruros’ mighty battle prowess was turned aside by the beast’s ferocity. Yahal, Ivak, Dira and more unsuccessfully tried to bring it down. It was even said that this creature taught the Dravlak the meaning of fear. When no one could bring the creature down, the war against it reached a stalemate. The Gods and Goddesses kept the beast at bay but couldn’t keep it from trying to bring its havoc to the world of Mizahar. The war raged, and no headway was made on either side.

Finally, the lovers Aquiras and Priskil came to Zintila with an idea. With the aid of Priskil’s protective light, Aquiras would craft a door invulnerable to the beast’s wrath, but there were no materials on the face of Mizahar strong enough to build such a gate. That was why They came to Her. They wanted to craft this gate in the heavens, at the very edge of the Ukalas, and build it with the stars. Zintila agreed. This beast was a threat to Mizahar and, as such, was a threat to her mother Semele. The three worked together for forty long days, using their combined powers to craft a Watchtower more magnificent than any that smattered the face of the mortal world, but as it neared its completion, Priskil’s light drew the eyes of the beast.

It rose from the face of Mizahar where it had been doing battle with Yahal and His champion and sped toward the great Watchtower in the heavens. Beautiful and piercing, Priskil’s light drew the beast like a moth to a flame. As Zintila and Aquiras rushed to finish the gate, Priskil summoned all of Her light to protect the three of Them and faced the creature alone, and when the two clashed it was said for the only time known to mortals Her light shone brighter than Syna’s. For a full day and night’s time, the two waged war, Priskil standing as a beacon of hope and the wall between the beast and the gate builders. The immortal lights lent Her their strength. Leth never let His light waver, and Syna never set.

For all its wrath and rage, the beast was cunning. It conserved its strength, waiting for a moment to deal the ending blow. Despite the borrowed strength from Her fellow heavenly deities, Priskil began to fatigue. As the battle raged, Priskil’s light dimmed until finally it sputtered. In that moment, the beast made its move. It lunged and threw all of its malice into one blow, sure to be fatal to even a Goddess.

But the beast was not the only cunning one there. All the while, Priskil had been keeping an eye on Her lover’s progress and drawing the creature closer to the gate. The apparent weakening of Her light was not what it appeared to be. Rather, it was the Goddess conserving her own strength for one more attack, just as the beast had been doing. As it lunged, the Goddess released Her pent up light, and the resulting flash was such that every mortal watching was blinded. Some say there are Gods and Goddesses who do not see the same as they did before that day. But its effects on mortals and deities didn’t matter. What did matter was what it could do to the creature, and what it did worked. It stunned the beast and blinded it for a moment, and that moment was enough for its blow to swing wide and for Priskil to shove the beast through Her lover’s doorway.

The gate wasn’t complete, but Aquiras slammed the door shut behind the beast anyhow. The workmanship was rushed, and there was no way out of this small portion of the Ukalas. The beast found itself trapped in this prison, for every time it tried to use the door, it found itself back in front of it again.

To acknowledge Priskil’s valiant battle against the creature, Zintila made the star that represented the Goddess of Light’s Watchstone the brightest star in the sky and named it after Her. Priskil’s Light.

But the beast was not defeated, only trapped. And so it waits for a champion great enough to enter and face it. But anyone brave enough to pass through Aquiras’ Gate will share the same fate as the creature.
Ambrosia Alar
"The kid's got smiles for days."

Words: 242735
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Mentor (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Donor (1)

Next