Closed The Beginning of the Craft (Clyde)

Terag brings two of the items Clyde had requested, so that Terag can start learning.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Beginning of the Craft (Clyde)

Postby Terag on May 22nd, 2016, 8:06 pm

Terag nodded some, a bit reluctantly. He had gotten too caught up in the moment, but a deal was a deal. He would be able to do something a bit more next time around, but until then he would be sure to focus on this lesson and try to remember it for later.

As Clyde went over the process of magecrating, or rather the steps involved, Terag could feel some of his older memories being pulled forward. Mostly the ones of him as a young child watching his father work, but everything seemed to be in order despite some of the energy sometimes seeming to be a bit unstable. In essence it was a simple couple of steps; Set the item on the pedestal, hammer in the change with hammers and djed, then into water. Almost like he was smithing a weapon.

“The process really does seem straightforward, sort of similar to blacksmithing right? Except rather than creating something new, we just alter something that already exists? I mean, the ‘altering’ is something different, since rather than changing the way it looks I can modify other things instead like how it does an action or give it a behavior. I mean, I am sure it is a bit more complicated than that but already with the hammers and water I cannot help but think back to it.”

Terag furrowed his brow for a moment as he thought about it all, could the process really be that easy? But as Clyde said, the theory itself is straightforward. The actual process is going to be difficult, but perhaps a bit less so than his worries made it seem to be. He did have one more question for Clyde though.

“So you said preferably the item is isolated with Glyphing right? Does that mean that you can modify the item without isolating it? I suppose that would be incredibly unsafe, like a human trying to pull metal from the forge without tongs, or maybe a singer practicing their craft without proper care of their throat?” Terag was silent for a moment, and then shook his head before continuing. “Either way, I suppose more so I am curious about what could happen without the Glyphs. What happens to the item then if it is not isolated?”
Thoughts "Isurian" "Common" "Others' Speaking"
The above colors are subject to change, bear with me please!
My Character Sheet, I'm working on making it prettier.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Words: 226408
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2015, 7:21 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 7th, 2016, 9:43 pm

Clyde smiled, looking at the Isur and shaking his head.

“I'm sure if you explained to me right now how to smith, how to make a sword, the steps would seem simple enough. Application though tends to be a bit more complicated. The same is true of Magecrafting as is true of more traditional crafting.”

“As for Glyphing, I always use them, and I advise not working without them. But I suppose technically its possible to work without them, though with added risk. That risk would be of the item not working possibly, or the djed possibly losing cohesion... Violently. Explosively. With lesser items its less of an issue, but as the power of the item gets higher the danger would progressively grow. I'd not attempt it with anything beyond a MC 1 or 2 item, and even then you'd be better off with using Warding.”

“So, if your lucky and something goes wrong, the item won't work. If you aren't so lucky, well then you won't probably be around to regret it.”

“I think that is a good stopping point. We've covered the basics of what you'll need to know for next time. Once the other items are done we can do the crafting. But I'll need to know in advance, and I might need to request a special item to be made for the crafting, so I'll need to know in advance to plan out the lesson and enchantment. I've got an idea for a belt I read about, which you could help with...”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Terag on June 13th, 2016, 10:12 am

Terag nodded, he supposed it made sense. The glyphing was there for a reason, and as Clyde stated it was definitely for the better if you even wanted a working product. Sort of how even though Terag could shape metal with his hand, he really should use the hammer regardless to make what he wanted. He briefly wondered how many levels of magerafting there could be, but that would be a question for next time as Clyde mentioned this would be their stopping point.

"Okay, I suppose that is fair. We have covered so much, although I cannot wait for next time." Terag couldn't help but smile for a moment, before his brows furrowed. "And I will try to let you know when things are almost done with the other items you requested for further training. If you need me to make anything then just let me know. I have a bit of freedom with what I get to make and in what order down at The Ironworks."

Terag stretched a bit and smiled a little again before offering his hand for Clyde to shake once more. "Thanks again for the lessons by the way. I really appreciate it, not many people seem to know a whole lot on the topic so its nice that the one I know who does is willing to share a bit. And no worries, no extra add ons to the next items, only and exactly what you asked for." Regardless if Clyde shook his hand or not Terag would wave before turning to make his way out the door and back out into the cold. He couldn't feel it anyways, his mind was racing and full of new information and there was no room to process the temperature.
Thoughts "Isurian" "Common" "Others' Speaking"
The above colors are subject to change, bear with me please!
My Character Sheet, I'm working on making it prettier.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Words: 226408
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2015, 7:21 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Konrad Venger on September 24th, 2016, 4:20 am

Terag

XP:
Rhetoric - 2
Magecrafting - 6
Observation - 3
Philosophy - 2
Investigation - 3

Lore:
Magecrafting: Metallurgy of Djed and Magic
Clyde Sullins: A Very Exacting Teacher
Magic: Total Understanding is a Bonus, But Not Essential to Using
Philosophy: Using Metaphor to Understand the Difficult
Investigation: Asking Plenty of Questions during a Lesson
Magecrafting: Similarities to Blacksmithing

Clyde

XP:
Investigation - 2
Philosophy - 3

Lore:
Magecrafting Item: "Fortitude Belt"
Teaching: Time and Patience and Pacing
Teaching: Step By Step, Not All at Once
Teaching: Returning to Metaphors a Student Can Grasp

Additional:
- Carved inzentored staff
- Etched inzentored stone

Shared Lores:
Magecrafting: An Item Must be Crafted Exactly to Specifications
Magecrafting: Magical Means of Enhancing an Object
Five Aspects of Magecrafting: Structure, Behavior, Intellect, Magical Ability, and Gnosis Adaptation
Magecrafting: Physical Alterations are Simpler to Accomplish
Magecrafting: Behavioral Changes Effect How an Object Interacts with Others
Magecrafting: Intelligence is Imbuing and Item with A Mentality; an Ability to Activate Other Abilities through Commands
The Nature of Magic: Making the Impossible Possible
Philosophy: Magic is a Tool, Like Knowledge, and Can be Used for Good or Evil
Magecrafting: The Pedestal, Preferably Quarantined by Glyphing
Magecrafting: Charging the Tools involved with Djed
Magecrafting: Cooling the Finished Item in Specially Prepared Water
Magecrafting with Glyphing: Contains the Djed to Prevent Dangerous Loss of Control

Click Me! :
Phew! I don't think I've ever given out so many Lores in one thread, but I think these are all justified, given the incredible level of detail Clyde went into here. In fact, Clyde, you may want to PM one of the Founders and have this link included on the Lore Page for Magecrafting. This is the best introduction to that discipline I can imagine.

As far as XP goes, of course Terag will get the MAX in Magecrafting, considering Clyde's efforts, but as far as you went, Clyde, I didn't know what else to give. Your own Magecrafting, Teaching, Rhetoric and Observation is all maxed out, so I went with the philosophical points you were using. If you can see anything else you think might be applicable, please let me know.

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4