Quest Fire In The Sky (Grandfathered)

Things in Syka are about to get real.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Fire In The Sky

Postby Gossamer on January 30th, 2018, 5:51 am

The crew in The Tidepool watched the various reactions on the group’s faces. Aladon was flirting with Anibesa, but several of the members were worried. He didn’t seem to take it too seriously even as he fingered something in his pocket and then seemed to get a bit irritated about bringing a loincloth. James gave Juli a look that was unreadable and his daughter raised one shoulder in return. She leaned over and whispered something in his ear and he gave a half shake, which earned him a shrug from her.

They both quieted when Aladon spoke out loud. Vas answered Aladon’s speculation though quite easily. “Assumptions will most likely get you killed. Morwen didn’t leave Mizahar via The World Gate. She left most likely through a simple gating portal. They are often one way with the current situation on Mizahar which interferes with gate magics. Mages can pull things here through them but if they go into the portals they cannot return. That is one of the reasons why The World Gate exists. It’s really the only single operational portal that links Mizahar to the rest of the known worlds.” Vas added, looking thoughtfully at Aladon.

“So don’t assume Morwen went through The World Gate. You would have seen or heard something had she done so back when she disappeared.” Vas said thoughtfully, stroking his chin a moment and seemingly studying Aladon thoughtfully.

Kultra piped in. “The Snow wasn’t a signal from Morwen. Unusual weather often happens when a World Gate is activated excessively. Something to do with Atmospheric Conditions. Zulrav would have more insight. He might even be responsible. And anyhow, if Morwen came here to use the gate, she would have brought winter with her and for more than just a few hours on one day.” He said, then also added… “It’s good you are thinking though.” He said, choosing to ignore what he considered was Aladon’s joke about alien world domination.

Mathias commented on that. He was far more serious though. “Yes they very well could be hostile. That’s why we brought Kultra and Vas to help. Vas in particular has a knack for anticipating these sorts of things.” The Founder said, taking another sip of his drink. The meeting was just getting started and these were good openers to get the real discussion happening.

When Aladon claimed he’d gotten shot in the rear, Jansen looked up and raised an eyebrow. “How come you didn’t come see me? Were you wounded?” He asked, curious now because this was the first he’d heard of anyone getting hurt potentially by the invaders.

Jansen was even more curious now that he just learned two people got ‘shot’ and no one told him. He looked baffled at Aladon and Anibesa. Then his eyes focused inward and anyone who worked with him would know he was having a long hard discussion with his brother Kalum. Jansen didn’t try to stop Anibesa as she left. He wasn’t sure if she was leaving to leave or leaving to get supplies. Regardless, the discussion moved on without her.

When Ialari got vocal, she got everyone’s attention. The Founders glanced at Mathias, knowing he’d hand recruited her years ago but she’d been slow getting to the settlement having detoured in Riverfall for a few seasons. She addressed Mathias first, and the Founder gave her his full attention. He nodded at her words.

“Few truly understand if Morwen is lost to us without passing her power on – which is what is currently happening – it can throw off the whole course of the world and set Mizahar back several hundred years or more with a climate that is incredibly unsteady and seasons that are irregular.” He said gently, and Vas spoke up again.

“The Sea of Grass is already set up for a huge drought. They are having summer like weather and their rivers are shrinking. It is very possible for Eyktol to expand drastically. There’s so little water in the middle of the world at the moment that drought is read and vegetation will die off. The Kalean Mountains have full time glaciers that are already melting and the Seas are rising and changing because of all the fresh water put into them. Without winter, this world is in drastic trouble.” The dark haired man said, shifting his weight and then sitting up a bit more. It was clear to everyone how truly big he was once he moved. Even sitting he was taller than most of the Founders and locals gathered around.

Kultra answered Ialari’s next question. He was still messing with his drum but didn’t coax any sound from it as he seemed to stare off into the distance. “Velispar are ancient creatures. They well and truly populate Mizahar all over, though you rarely see one. They are scaled like snakes though they have limbs. Their magic is powerful and it is said Semele parts her very flesh for them to swim through as a fish would water. They dwell in the earth, the sea, even in some of Ivak’s Volcanos. Mueir was born in a clutch of Velispar. They are vicious mindless things when born, usually the size of large dogs. They will eat anything, even each other… but the unusualness of what they are does them a good stead when they do this. They absorb the knowledge of anything they consume and as time passes and they age they gain sentience and tame down until they are some of the most incredible minds on the planet. It is rare that a nest of Velispar hatch and even rarer that it happens near people. When it does they are usually hunted to extinction. But in the past, before the Valterrian, people understood them and even had working relationships with them. Usually one or two of the hatchlings were saved. They were often used as a way to dispose of the dead or near dead or even those convicted of crimes. During the Alahean and Suvan war they were even weaponized. Mueir spent a great deal of his time in Marcus’ care. He survived his siblings and probably were the death of them. They live thousands of years and as they age, they grow incredibly wise. They can pick up entire foreign languages in one meal by eating native speakers. And their abilities as mages are incredible. They can shapeshift to humans. Some say Morphing was taught to people by Velispar. So, you can have them among you and not even know it. Someone living here in Syka could even be one… anyone here in this room in fact.” Kultra said helpfully then answered the rest of Ialari’s question.

“Mueir is likely with Morwen retrieving Myrna. He is after all the one that found her and brought her the news of her granddaughter. They are significant because they remember things, all kinds of things… once a Velispar knows something then they will never forget it. If there is one here, we might need their help. Mueir would help us if he could, but he’s got his hands full most likely caring for his bondmate. Morwen and Mueir are close. Marcus only gave her the feral little thing because his Grandmother has a fondness for white and Marcus has a fondness for his Grandmother. Mueir turned out well. He’s a very interesting person to talk to now. I just wish he could be here. It might change things significantly.” He added, finally stowing his drum back in his drumcase much to Rain’s amusement. She was watching Ialari the whole time, noting how the Isurian woman paced, as if something utterly upset her.

Randal handled the next question. He was the foremost operative for investigating the area. “Yes, Pavena still exists. It was a sprawling facility with no walls and virtually no security. It was that isolated out here. Remember, this was before the Valterrian so the Suvan Sea did not exist. As for what’s left, we’ve been slowly finding out. There’s ruins everywhere that are tied to Pavena, being part of the old facility. I haven’t found them all, but I’ve been encouraging the kelvics of the settlement to explore and I know at least the forest cat found a library with a very sentient ghost in it. I know another group went out birdwatching and found some of the underground laboratories. An Aurist lead that group I believe. We have located most of their food production and have put it back into works as well as their textile in the Isuas Grove, which seems to be better than cotton and lighter more durable. I suspect it was from offworld. Tony Swiftwater is studying it now.” Randal took a breath and seemed to consider more.

“We literally don’t have enough people to do all the work cataloging and exploring Pavena like we probably should. I’ve been doing a lot of it, but I’m also building a lot of housing for most of my waking hours. I wouldn’t have known where the world gate was until the lights appeared along with the roar of its day to day operations. I’ve been hear for nearly a year and still hadn’t found it. I knew it was close, but not where, not until the lights. The jungle has swallowed a lot of things. They are ours for the taking but we have to find them first. When we first saw the lights in the sky, we recognized it for what it was…. the gate opening and closing… being put back into use. That’s terrifying, because we don’t know who’s using it. In coming here, we knew we’d be made the guardians of Pavena, but we weren’t thinking it would be this soon… we’ve had virtually no time to prepare. Everyone’s been focused on just surviving and making sure the Settlement could thrive.” The youngest founder added.

Her next question was more rant than question, so the group let the Isur talk. Once she was done, Vas sighed and shook his head. “Ialari was it? You don’t understand. You’ve seen the night sky haven’t you? Filled with countless stars? Each star is like Syna viewed at a distance. The stars have worlds, sometimes more than one that circle them. Even those worlds sometimes have smaller worlds that circle those worlds that circle those suns. There are so many we don’t have a number high enough to count them. It would be like taking all the sand on the beaches of Falyndar and counting each individual grain of sand. And even that number would not cover how long and how impossibly hard the search for Myrna was. But Mueir found her. That narrowed the search down to just one.. with coordinates. They went because once they knew where to look, the going was easy. It was a skill we used to have countless times much like your lost Dominion. It was called Worldwalking. You can’t go unless you know where you are going though. So that’s why the kelvics were needed. Easily bred, short lived, but incredibly flexible and tough. He bonded to so many, and his quest became theirs. It’s ironic that it wasn’t even one of his kelvics that found Myrna.” Vas said simply, trying to make the group understand that in Mueir’s success, the impossible mission became possible.

“No, not you. Not you specifically.” James corrected, almost out of patience for this whole affair. He had a tide to catch and waiting was hard. He had little patience to start with and listening to his whole affair was setting his teeth on edge. “They need Pavena to get back. They need The World Gate. Haven’t you been listening? You need to - in essence - the city, girl, and open the gate to clear the way for our people to return home.” The Captain summed it all up in his short curt fashion. Juli looked amused.

When Ialari’s gaze locked on Kultra, he offered her an almost half-assed grin. “I’m a lot older than that, Sweetie. But you should talk. I can see the patchwork of your soul from here. And that’s damn sloppy work. No wonder you name drop The Seven Robes with disgust. I would too if they were anywhere remotely involved with you.” He gestured vaguely up and down as if Ialari herself were some sort of project. “And I can tell Death touched your palm too. That pushy Cunt always loves to be part of everything anyone she’s remotely intrigued with touches. I did notice she didn’t have a big enough set to mark your funky arm though. For all she walks a tough walk, Izurdin still has her pissing in her nappies.” He said with a slightly wicked grin, one that promised all sorts of mayhem. Oh they’d talk later, of course, but not on her terms. Only, ever, on his…

Vas looked thoughtful at Ialari’s next words, holding up his hands. He looked amused slightly as Ialari went off about the flying ships. “They are no more fantastical than trees draped with bodies… bodies you recognize as your own.” He added with a slight smile then continued speaking.

“The gate -is- large. It’s a wonder Randal hadn’t found it yet. But then again, I’ve taken a quick walk around since I’ve gotten here and forgotten what true jungle is like. Life is everywhere here. Kihala must be proud of her work, for if nothing else thrives in this forsaken city, the green of the world certainly does.” With that Vas took a breath and glanced at Mathias. Mathias nodded.

The Founders and the elders of the city seemed to simply wait, letting Ialari’s tirade run its course as she turned her questions to the fellow citizens. The elder group seemed curious as to what Ialari’s questions would reveal among the volunteers gathered. Maybe there were surprises. Maybe there weren’t. Mathias and Randal, even James, looked slightly hopeful. The rest seemed somewhat resigned. The two strangers were busy exchanging glances, most likely at Ialari’s word ‘Domineer’. It didn’t seem that it was a very popular term with the two. The Founders, all three of them, just looked like this was indeed new material to them. They clearly – along with everyone else – didn’t know what a Domineer was.

Mathias finally spoke up. “Ialari. You are getting ahead of yourself. We propose no death rush off into the unknown. We instead need a group to gather intel, discern the intent of the force that holds the gate, and then at that point form a plan of action. But we couldn’t just send you off to gather information on this group without knowing the bigger picture. That would be careless. I consider everyone here in this settlement my kin. I don’t want anything to needlessly happen to any of you. We can of course plan for friend, foe, or other, but the possibilities are too endless and anything we plan at this time might be a waste.” He added.

The Settlement leaders had not seen anything of the device Ialari held up. However, those that had been ‘shot’ would recognize it immediately had they got a good look at who fired at them. The settlement elders were as confused about it as she was. The two strangers, Kultra and Vas were equally startled. If no one spoke up, Kultra would ask to see it closer, but only if everyone else were clueless.

Ialari’s next statement, about them hiding something sizeable seemed to amuse several members of the group. They glanced around innocently enough though and shrugged, rather than deny or confirm her words. Vas did however have something to add. “We’ll plan when we get to that point. We need more information first. It’s not going to be without its dangers, but I do think we are getting ahead of ourselves if you suggest we are going to need to take on this force. We might not have too. Or there might be an alternative.” He said, his voice firm but gentle. He was obviously trying to sooth her.

The Isur’s next words seemed to slightly offend Kultra. “If it’s a gate… and magical.. which this is… I can definitely open and close it. Don’t worry so much. If you want to play leader, that’s fine with me, just remember to lean on your team.” He said, turning to whisper something to Rain who nodded as if she were taking notes.

“Again…” Said Mathias. “No one said this was a rescue mission. No one said we’d be using the gate to go through to travel to other worlds. We understand no one here has that sort of experience. What we need to do is secure it and open it, clearing the way for Morwen’s return.” The eldest Founder said. Vas was eyeing him with something of amusement, as if perhaps the only one fooling oneself was Mathias. But neither Mathias or Vas said anything out loud. They simply let Ialari continue, getting it all out now rather than later.

Stu, having been quiet for a while, spoke up. “That’s a good idea, Ialari. We should make that a priority immediately. Except, I suggest we get more than one. One person can lie convincingly but a group can contradict each other fairly easily and let everyone realize someone is being untruthful.” He added to which the others agreed.

“That and information. We need people to scout the area, get a head count, and identify a likely group of targets to take. I suggest because of his wilderness experience in this area, Randal should head that group.” Vas said, adding to what Stu piped in with. It wasn’t much, but indeed it was the beginnings of a plan.

When Satevis spoke up finally, it reminded Jansen. The doctor spoke up boldly. “Good question. I’d like to also see all of you who were shot. I need to see if there’s anything unusual about the area… and for you to tell us exactly what happened before, during, and after each incident.” He said, taking on his doctor’s role. “Before we do anything else… lets look you over and see these wounds.” He stressed, knowing it was important.

Mathias looked Satevis in the eye when the Eth declared he was coming with them. The Founder gave Satevis a firm nod. That he was committed to help. That was, after all, exactly what Mathias wanted. He wanted pledges of allegiances and noted intentions to help.

With that, everyone had time to go get more gear, food, water, and get an exam by the doctor.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Fire In The Sky

Postby Aladon on January 31st, 2018, 9:47 am

Realizing he made a arse of himself, Aladon just sat there quietly as Mathias and the strangers answered the bewildered settlers of the questions. Anibesa was quiet, but she said that she would help the get Morwen back. He nodded to her slowly, but he stayed silent when she asked confirmed that she was shot too. In Aladon's mind, Ialari was incredible as she questioned the Founders and the Strangers. She had the poise and the experience to lay out her concerns about the whole the history and the mission on the table. She sounded like someone important to the blacksmith. On the other hand, he could tell that she was fallible too like him because she was clearly getting frustrated with the situation or herself as she spoke, and he was wondered if she was terrified of the situation like himself. However he disagreed with her about her plan of attack to get intelligence. Kidnapping and interrogation was a rash way of getting information because if the group around the World Gate wasn't hostile. They would be immediately hostile after the settlers of Syka started kidnapping their people. Syka had no military to protect it, so any retaliation by the World Gate dwellers would be swift and permanent for the town. Yes, they could put up a resistance, but for how long.

Satevis decided to mention something about his joke. Aladon didn't make the alien joke just to be a smart arse. He was somewhat serious too, and he had every right to be concerned about the mission that Mathias and the rest of the Founders asked them to volunteer for. Ialari could see it straight off the club because she had the experience and knowledge to tackle the concerns head on. Unlike him who spend the most of his life behind a forge or blast furnace, so he could just make jokes to hide his concerns about the things that he didn't understand. The strangers seemed to be concerned about the group surrounding World Gate because they didn't know their intentions for coming to Mizahair. When Randal mentioned that they were looking for gods and not mortals. He started to wonder what could mere mortals do that gods or their proxies could not do.

Aladon kind of figured his assumptions were wrong about about Morwen leaving through the World Gate because from what he learned about it, they would have seen it by the sheer size of it. but he did learn something about how someone would use magic to get from one place to another. Even if he knew nothing about it, magic was absolutely fascinating when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it. He wondered if he could ever learn how to use it if he really put his heart and soul into it. When Kultra answered his question about the snow, he just listened and learned that it wasn't related, and he was just going off the theories said earlier in the season. He was happy that the snow was just some freak weather anomaly; otherwise, he might as well be living in Wind Reach again. Lastly, he was dreading his comment about alien domination, but Kultra tactfully ignored it. Aladon knew that he had to apologize to Mathias and his guests for making a arse of himself...He was just surprised and scared by the entire situation. Flying starships, World Gates, and alien invaders were a bit much for him to grasp at the moment.

Suddenly, Jansen came to him and asked him about his wound. Aladon turned to him with a slight look of embarrassment and said to the akalak, “Jansen, I did come to you right after I came too, but I didn't tell you the real reason because I thought I was hallucinating...the events were strange, and I thought it was just some toxin from a jungle plant.” He was still embarrassed by his tactless outburst, so his face was clearly flustered, “I kind of...made a assumption...” He looked at Vas when he said it because he was just warned him not to make assumptions because they could get him killed. He was clearly flustered now and continued, “...that it was just the toxin that caused the burn and the hallucinations, but when I heard that it happened to Ani, it must have been real. When the meeting is done, I will talk to you about the event and have you look at me again...”

Feeling completely foolish now, Aladon listened to the Mathias and the Strangers poke holes in both Ialari theories, questions, and ego. He almost felt sorry for her, but she seemed the kind of person to take criticism with stride. As Ialari questions were answered, Aladon could feel the tension in the air as the strangers answered. They explained Morwen absence has devastated the balance of the world. They talked in great length about creatures known as Velispar, and how incredibly powerful that they were compared to other creatures on the world. Randal started to explain his role in investigating Pavena. Aladon found it fascinating, and he wondered if he could join one of the teams to investigate Pavena in the future if he survived the World Gate first.

Finally Vas started speaking again and started to talk about how the worlds worked and were connected. The talk of magic started to fascinate the Isur again, so he listened intently to the man talk about another sphere of magic called Worldwalking. It was facinating, and to Aladon, these people were just a fountain of knowledge if you just listened to them closely, so the blacksmith watched and listened in silence to them talk to the Isur wizard. Kultros started the personal shots at Ialari ego as he insulted the goddess of Death, Dira. Personally, he thought that it was bold to provoke death, but it just added to Aladon's evidence that the Strangers were more than what they seemed. Kultros acted like he knew the goddess personally. Aladon listened to the Founders and the Strangers answer Ialari's questions and concerns. It seemed that they already had a plan, but they needed the whole group to gather information about them. It sounded like a solid first move, gather information, and figure out a plan of action.

When the meeting was over, Aladon got out of his seat and made his way to the Isur woman. He figured the woman must be seething with all the passive aggression towards her concerns. When he approached her, he said in Isur with a nod, “Ialari? My name Aladon Blackforge Sultros. I wanted to introduce myself before we went our separate ways till we meet up in a bell. I wanted to say that your concerns didn't go unheard. I don't have the arcane knowledge or experience you do, but you were able to put my concerns into words that I failed to do. I am going to be honest with you. I came from a simple family, so all this about World Gate and going to other worlds seems like something out of story book, but I wanted to say that I am proud to stand by a fellow child of Izurdin against this threat. Welcome to Syka Ialari...”

Aladon gave the woman a reassuring pat on the shoulder as he walked away from her and made his way to Mathias, Randal, Kultros, Vas, and Rain. He gave them a sheepish nod to them and apologized, “I wanted to apologize to all of you for my foolishness. I sort of have a bad habit of making jokes and trying to lighten the mood when I am scared or nervous. Honestly, I thought this meeting was about more mundane things like the earthquake, plans for the future housing projects, or schools for the children. I wasn't expecting to be apart of quest to help bring back balance the world. The biggest thing that I have to worry about on a normal day if I have to enough material to meet my days quota on nails...Please forgive me all of you. I felt my actions dishonored your cause...” Aladon knew that he needed to hold his family name more proudly in the future, and he stated, “My father told me that everyone was just folks, so I learned to treat everyone the same. I really feel for Morwen and her family. They must have been heart broken when Myrna was lost. I would be too if my child or grandchild was lost for years... let alone centuries. I would stop everything in my life to get them back...” Looking at them, he declared, “As the only son of Caludon Blackforge and the Sultros Clan. In beloved Izurdin's name, I will dedicate my sword and shield to your cause if you will accept it, Mathias and Randal. Hopefully, it will never have to leave the comfort of it's sheathe...”

When Aladon was finished, he walked over to Satevis and said with smile, “My name is Aladon Blackforge Sultros, and it a pleasure to meet you. Call me Al for short.” Aladon was concerned about Anibesa since she abruptly left the meeting, so he asked, “I appreciate for not dismissing my joke about them being aliens. I don't think we should assume they are hostile, but I have my concerns like everyone else.” Patting Satevis in the arm, he said to him with a smile, “If you see Anibesa before I do. Tell her that I have a weapon that she hopefully will not have to use. It is a kukri.” Looking at him, Aladon said with a chuckle, “Ready to save the world? See you in a bell. Now I better go see Jansen. I think he is burning a hole through the back of my head right now.”

When Aladon was done talking to Satevis, he walked over to large akalak and gave the doctor and said with a nod, “I guess if Anibesa got shot and burned than my hallucinations were actual reality.” The Isur thought about it for a a chime to collect his memories of the day. Aladon said, “I was investigating the scorch marks on the trees, and suddenly, I felt a burning sensation on my..bum, and suddenly, it started to feel like I took a glowing hot iron poker and laid it onto my skin. Suddenly after, I couldn't move and fell to the ground. It was a long time ago, but after I was shot. I was laying on the ground, but I could hear them all around me in the jungle. They took blood from me and lock of my hair...sorry that is all I remember..”

Once the healer was done with his examination, Aladon went to his tent, and he immediately got his gear together. He packed his backpack with a two days of rations, flint and steel, two filled water skins, and dagger and scabbard, and compass. He got out of his lounging around clothes and sandals. He changed into his simple linen clothing when he was finished getting dressed, he tucked the thumb size watch-stone in the pocket of the linen pants, and put his leather armor over it. When his leather armor properly in place, he put on his leather boots, and put on his lucky hat. Strapping to his waist, he put on his bastard sword and scabbard right side of his waist and the kukri and scabbard on the left side of his waist. Lastly, he grabbed his Isurian retractable shield and put the buckler on the right arm. The Isur walked along the edge of the beach as he made way back to the meeting up place before heading to the World Gate.
Thank you Gossamer for the posting template!
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist

Words: 116392
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2017, 3:46 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fire In The Sky

Postby Anibesa on February 2nd, 2018, 1:03 am

"Common" | "Fratava" | "Tukant"

Before Anibesa had left the Tidepool Bar to gather her things, she’d noticed the looks of worry on the groups faces, most notably she’d seen James and Juli silently conversing in a way that Anibesa assumed was only possible between father and daughter, though they stopped when Aladon spoke out loud, and Anibesa had turned her attention to his words and the responses from both Vas and Kultra, learning that Morwen hadn’t initially left through the World Gate, instead through a smaller portal, though the idea of such of thing was completely alien to Anibesa, and almost unbelievable! The idea of such a thing alone would have been beyond comprehension before she had come to Syka, but with everything that had gone on she no longer doubted what people said, instead blindly trusting what most people said, unless she had a reason not to trust them.

She listened to Vas’ explanation of why the World Gate existed, before Kultra spoke of why the snow wasn’t a sign from Morwen, and the idea that something as large and powerful being able to cause unusual weather made sense. After all it sounded like it would have to be a huge thing, with a great amount of magic used to open it. Then came Matias, agreeing that whoever had control of the Gate could be hostile. That was something that Anibesa had assumed as soon as they’d mentioned people already having taken the gate. Especially with everything going on.

Finally Jansen look quite shocked at nobody having gone to see him about injuries they’d received and Aladon said that he’d assumed that he’d hallucinated somehow, though he had been to see the doctor about his wound and lied. That was when Anibesa had left to gather her things, though she returned to the Tidepool Bar soon afterwards, now opting to stay close to the pier that joined the buildings to the shore. She didn’t want to disrupt the conversation that was going on within the group.

When she returned, it seemed that the Isur woman was suggesting that they capture one of the people that had occupied the gate, and Stuvantis was agreeing that it was a good idea, though it would be best to capture more than one to easier tell when they were lying. Anibesa hadn’t ever considered how much harder it was for a group to lie than for an individual.
Then came Stu’s suggestion that Randal should head a group to scout the area, to take note of how many ‘people’ were at the World Gate. Both sounded like good plans, though how to catch the ‘people’ caused a series of questions to echo through her head.

Finally it seemed that things were coming to an end, and Jansen stated that he wanted those that had been shot to see him so they could see anything wrong with where they’d been shot and Anibesa grimaced slightly, knowing that she should have gone to see the doctor, and not asked Issie to keep her injuries a secret.

She saw Aladon approach Jansen and hung back for a few moments, waiting for his meeting with the doctor to finish.
Quietly she approached the doctor and shrugged her shoulders slightly.
”Sorry I hadn’t come to see you. I haven’t seen a doctor in some time and hadn’t even considered it really. But yeah, I thought it’d been a hallucination or something.” she started, sheepishly looking towards the ground as she spoke. ”But, I don’t really remember much. It was night and then there was a bright beam of light and the next thing I remember is Issie shaking me awake. I had a few bruises and the back of my neck hurt.” she said, her hand moving to point at where on the back of her neck it was. ”And there was blood here, and a bit of skin missing here.” she said, pointing to the crook of her elbow and then at the back of her upper arm. ”And finally, I got burned here.” she said pointing to the area just below her left collar bone that was hidden by her shirt at that point in time. ”I think that the bruising and cuts might have come from when I fell, and then I assumed Issie must have rolled me onto my back and that was why my neck hurt.” she said calmly as she tried to recount the events of that night, though that was everything she could remember. ”Sorry I don’t really have much else to say, I should have come to see you, and had it got any worse or started leaking or something, I probably would have thought it a good idea, but it seemed to just slip my mind completely!” she glanced around to the rest of the group there, seeing that Aladon had left to gather his stuff presumably.

She wondered what people's motives were for helping, or at least the ones who were deciding to help, and whether they were the same as hers. Obviously most would want to help the two Goddesses trapped on the other side, or at least she thought that would be an influencing factor for most, but the other more personal motives people had, if they had them. Anibesa figured that it was the perfect opportunity to see what was really in the forest, and the World Gate that she guessed Mist had come through to deliver her babies, and her desire to explore this further was her own personal goal. Alongside that was her desire to make somewhat of an impact on Mizahar and be remembered for it. She knew that if she didn’t help out, she’d be more likely to be remembered as a coward that couldn’t bring herself to help the gods when they needed it most.

As she glanced around, she let her eyes linger on everyone briefly, though they lingered the longest on the blond named Kultra. The fact that he claimed to have built a coffin of sorts that must have existed for over five hundred years confused Anibesa. The man must have been very old, but he looked just like a regular human to her.
The other stranger, Vas, was another that drew Anibesa’s curiosity due to him only recently having come to Syka, and her gaze linger slightly longer on him too, before glancing over everyone else and then switching her gaze between the beach and the sea, uncertain of what was going to happen.
~
Lethaefal-Svefra
Day Night
Eyes Blue Blue
Hair Auburn Black
Horns Green
Skin Fair and freckled Marble like, cool toned and shimmering
Anibesa
Svefra by Day, Letheafal by Night

Words: 164692
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2017, 2:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fire In The Sky

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 2nd, 2018, 6:41 am

As Ialari listened to the questions and comments posed both by those who’d been invited to the meeting as well as those from Mathias, the two newcomers Vas and Kultra and the others assembled at the bar, her mind continued to pick apart everything that was said. It was a talent she’d picked up over recent years; quickly breaking down information into pieces for interpretation and the current situation was no different. It was something that she’d begun doing shortly after temporarily placing her mind in place of the Supervisor Golem in Sahova; one of her less pleasant experiences in life. The other isur offered his own speculation which was somewhat shutdown by the newcomers Vas and Kultra. He and the Svefra woman had also mentioned something about getting shot with something by some unknown individuals. Considering the details that were coming forth, Ialari didn’t see how that could not be related to all the other strangeness that was being revealed. Jansen’s reaction to the two being shot was also not surprising considering his duties at the settlement. When the Svefra left in the middle of the meeting, Ialari was momentarily confused but it didn’t deter her from her barrage of questions. Something about her felt, different, but she couldn't put a finger on what it was.

Ialari noticed a few times during her questioning that, the Benshira man, although relatively quiet, looked as though he was giving quite a bit of thought to all that was being said throughout the meeting. He presented himself as something of a mystery to go along with the rest of the unknown related to the meeting.

As the answers to her questions came, she went to work processing it all before the conversation was even finished. The explanation of what was currently happening due to Morwen’s absence was indeed troubling but it did raise another question in Ialari’s mind, one more for a mental note than anything else. How did Vas know what was going on in such distant places?

Kultra’s description of the Velispar and of the one known as Mueir intrigued Ialari. The abilities and knowledge such a creature possessed would not only be immensely helpful in their current predicament but the possibilities beyond were too great to ignore. It was something she’d keep in mind for later investigation assuming she survived what was to come.

As the answers to her questions continued, her agitation fluctuated. She was relieved to be getting more information about what was going on but as she worked to mentally piece it all together, there were still many holes. Randal’s description of Pavena and the progress being made on uncovering it offered a truly amazing set of present and future possibilities. Buried ruins of an ancient magical research facility tied to a worldgate that offered travel to another made her ALMOST giggle at one point. The fact that the strange lights in the sky and the accompanying roar were signs of the gate being opened cleared up at least one mystery. The lack of overall preparation for the opening and closing of the gate and whatever was responsible for it, while understandable considering the circumstances, was troubling at best. When Vas explained the concept behind the different worlds and how the gate connected to them, it was still a lot to understand but did make sense. It was then that the world she knew began to feel even more complex than she already thought it was.

As it became clearer that their indeed was a little more of a plan other than simply jumping through an ancient gate into another world, Ialari felt more relieved. That was until Kultra spoke up. His comments, or rather one of them, brought her a moment of frightening confusion; evident by the color draining from her face. It wasn’t his disrespect for Dira or his rather flippant tone, no, it was his referencing Ialari’s…condition. Almost immediately after, Vas made another reference that caused her to freeze in place. The Tree of Death, located within her Dominion, was the furthest thing from common knowledge as it could get. Yet, both of these strangers had mentioned something about her that only a very special select few knew about. She frowned as her mind struggled to put together pieces that should not be there; pieces that suggested some difficult possibilities. Her moment of lost composure was brief as her frustration was renewed in earnest.

When she received no real recognition of the strange item she held up, she continued with her questions and comments. A short time later, she would cautiously offer it to Kultra when he asked to see it. She found herself a bit nervous around him after his earlier comments along with the way he seemed to react when she’d mention him possibly knowing how to open the gate.

Ialari was pleased to have Stu agree with her idea of capturing and interrogating the strangers at the gate. Finally, something of an immediate plan was beginning to form. As Ialari’s questions and the answers given began to taper off and the next plan of action was starting, she paused for a few deep breaths and to calm down a bit. Although placing personal importance on patience, it was a concept she struggled with. At times it was so easy while at others it felt so out of reach. With her questions more or less answered, she responded to the group, “My thanks for your patience and the information. This all comes as something of a surprise to put it mildly and is quite a bit to take in.”

With the meeting drawing to a close and those gathered for it beginning to break up for the final preparations before heading out on the scouting mission, Ialari confirmed her intent on helping before Aladon approached. In response to the traditional isurian introduction of giving one’s full name; including family and clan, Ialari smiled and replied, “It’s a pleasure, Aladon. I’m Ialari Pythone Pitrius. My thanks for your supportive words.” Being able to see and talk to another isur after having not done so for so long was like drinking a fine mug of spirits although his mention of her knowledge and experience made her wish she had more of both to help with what they were about to do. It was his parting words that brought her a bit of concern however. “I agree that all of this seems rather extreme but, from sister to brother, Aladon, never think of yourself or where you come from as being simple. You are isur, simple that is not.” She smiled when he touched her shoulder before he went off to speak with Jansen.

She lingered about the bar for a short time longer, speaking with anyone who wished to and hearing what Kultra had to say about the strange item she’d found. She would speak more with the three other invitees when they reassembled but once everyone started to leave, she flashed one more concerned look to Kultra and Vas before she went to gather her gear.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Words: 923994
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Fire In The Sky

Postby Satevis on February 5th, 2018, 10:59 pm

The talk about Pavena, and about the stars each being like their own smaller version of Syna definitely sparked Satevis's imagination. Given the time, he would want to know more about that, perhaps even speak in depth with some of the people involved. He would never have imagined such things--but then again, although his memories of his time before his fall were few and fragmented during the day, he imagined that he had been too busy enjoying his time in paradice to even worry about things of that nature.

Perhaps. He wasn't sure. It certainly didn't sound anything like him to not look up at the stars and wonder.

It did make him wonder if those other worlds contained life, like this one, but that was a question so far from the beaten path that Satevis didn't ask it. He was also not like Ialari, he didn't have the confidence to ask so many challenging questions at a gathering of this size, preferring to save his curiosity for private conversations. For now, he simply nodded back to Mathias as the Founder acknowledged him, making a mental note to speak to who he wanted to speak to later. It didn't escape him that Pavena might have answers to these questions and more, if the knowledge of the ancients were still intact there. That would be ideal, if it was true, but he wondered how much of it he would even be able to understand.

Either way, the opportunities for discovery were there, and they were vast. Something to be considered later, during less dire times.

He listened to Aladon's apology as the group dispersed, smiling faintly as he noted the way the man spoke of Morwen and the gods. He supposed that was true in a way, in his experience, the gods did love and yearn and grieve as mortals did. But it certainly took a rearranging of one's mindset to make a person remember that. He turned towards the Isur as he introduced himself, returning the smile.

"It's nice to meet you as well, Aladon," he said, in his lightly-accented Common. "My name is Satevis. I'm a...relatively new resident of Syka." At the mention of Anibesa, Satevis frowned, glancing towards the door. "I can tell her, however, I think she would rather hear it from you than me." A bit of a cryptic remark, but he wasn't sure how much Aladon knew about Ani. Or about Ethaefal, for that matter. His smile turned grave, however, in response to Aladon's question. "I hope it doesn't become a matter of saving the world, but I'm here to help where I can."

He rose to his feet as Aladon mentioned speaking to Jansen. "I think I'll come with you," he said. "I'm technically his apprentice. It would be educational." And, Satevis thought, he was curious about the injuries as well.

He approached Jansen with the Isur, nodding politely to indicate that he was here to help, or at least observe if his help wasn't required. He listened, taking mental notes as Aladon described the wound as a burning sensation, frowning in concern when he mentioned the people that took a sample of blood and hair. There were likely magics that used such things, none of which could be any good. "By 'they', do you mean the same strangers that the Founders were speaking of?" he asked. "Did you get a look at them, by any chance?" He did wonder if they looked anything like the odd body that had been discovered.

Anibesa's story, when she returned to tell it, was similar, which only heightened Satevis's concern. The fact that she described it as a bright beam of light was intriguing, though.

"Sorry for interrupting, Ani," he said, "But when you say 'bright beam of light', was it anything like lightning?" Such things, he knew, were possible with Reimancy, although not with the collection of elements he had managed to work with so far. Fire and air would create lightning, which would certainly burn when it struck, but Satevis couldn't think of any explanation for what they did afterwards.

Either way, when the examination was done, Satevis would make preparations of his own. He already had his weapon with him, but after a thought, he returned to his tent and returned with his backpack and filled waterskin, a healer's kit in his pack in case it was necessary. He hadn't completed his training by any stretch of the imagination, but he did know something of the basics of medicine, and the basics would be better than nothing.

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
Satevis
Player

Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fire In The Sky

Postby Gossamer on February 8th, 2018, 3:56 am

Jansen nodded at Aladon’s explanation. It did, after all, make a lot of sense. “I would have probably done the same thing. I didn’t recognize you as having been injured by these newcomers. It looked like a very typical wound albeit burned strangely. I should have questioned you further.” The Akalak said softly, shaking his head at his own blindness. “I’ll have another look after the meeting.” He agreed.

Aladon had time to talk to Ialari and then address the group. His apology didn’t fall on deaf ears. Everyone listened intently and nodded. When he said he felt his actions dishonored their cause, the whole of the group put up a slight protest. It was Mathias that spoke however. “No… we understand. Everyone knew this was going to be a difficult meeting. If there was any way to gently introduce this to you, we would have. Truthfully, I thought I had the whole of the rest of my life to introduce Syka to Pavena, but Morwen’s actions and indeed the Velispar finding Myrna changed things. If we could, things would have been different. But they are what they are and we need to act accordingly. Think nothing more of your actions. Its what we do from here on out that matters.” He added.

Mathias and Randal took his oath seriously. They doubted his hope of his blade never leaving its sheath would come true, but nevertheless the sentiment was important. “In the name of Morwen and all involved, we accept your dedication.” Mathias said with Randal nodding. Even the two strangers, Vas and Kultra, seemed to take Aladon’s words seriously.

With the meeting disbanded briefly, Jansen took another look at Aladon, this time using his Gnosis and drawing on his expertise as a healer to hear what Aladon went through. After listening closely and then reaching out and laying a hand on Aladon’s forehead, Jansen frowned, moved around Aladon, and touched the back of his neck. He drew a blade, clamped a hand on Aladon’s shoulder, and sliced open the back of his neck, digging into the wound with his knife. Light poured from his hand that was pressed on Aladon’s shoulder so the Isur would feel nothing as Jansen fished something out of the newly formed wound. He set the thing aside on the table closest, and then re-sheathed his blade and smoothed a hand over the wound, closing and sealing it up as if it had never been there.

“They put something into you. I don’t know what it is.” Jansen gestured, pointing at an ominous looking grey stone he’d pulled out of Aladon’s neck. Truth be told it looked like mundane pea gravel.

Vas rose, walked over, and picked up the stone. His eyes went vacant for a moment and he set the thing down abruptly. “It is likely something that can track his movements. Something they can find easily again because it was made of them…. from them. I’m not sure exactly how. It looks to me like they were studying you…. all of you. You might be as strange to them as they are to you.” He offered. It was odd the way he said ‘you’ and ‘them’ as if he did not classify himself among the others there at The Tidepool.

When Anibesa approached, Jansen made a similar examination and repeated his actions almost exactly with her as he had with Aladon. As he did so, he listened carefully to her recounting and nodded as she spoke. A little pea gravel shaped stone came out of the back of her neck as well, joining the first on the table. Vas again repeated his action and nodded, indicating it was the same as the other.

“Alike. Now I’m wondering how many settlers have these. Thanks for coming forward, Anibesa.” Jansen looked concerned, very concerned, but now was not the time to go rousting everyone out of their homes or interrupting their work to bother them about this… especially if these were something they had all been wearing for a while. Vas would have seen something if they were going to prove hazardous. Jansen just didn’t want the settlers being vulnerable to attack, tracked, even ambushed.

Jansen was quiet for Satevis’ questions to Anibesa. He had let the young man observe but there was no real need for him to assist. He was utilizing his gnosis more than anything, something Satevis had no access too.

Kultra gingerly took the item from Ialari and examined it. He twisted it about in his hands with his bright blue eyes flaring amber for a moment. He grinned then, made a few motions with his hands, and something snapped open on the item. It made a hiss as it did so, revealing a sort of chamber within the main body of the item. “It’s a weapon, fueled by a storm gem. Magecrafted. This one looks very old but likely still works. There’s no fuel for it.” He added, running his hands across the item. It looked a lot like a crossbow without the bow attached.

Mathias cleared his throat, looked a little startled, then reached into his pocket. He pulled forth a handful of glimmering swirling storm gems. “It takes one of these?” He asked, looking a little amused. Kultra nodded, though not without raising an eyebrow. Mathias closed the distance between them and handed him one of the gems. Kultra fiddled with the weapon a moment and managed to fit the storm gem into the compartment and closed it up again. He depressed a place on the weapon and it hummed to life. Vas was watching him closely, both the actions and the weapon, as he walked to one of the open walls of the bar and laid the big item across the railing and fitted his hands to the grip properly. He depressed a rune-like symbol on the side and a blaze of light erupted from the weapon and shot out over the bay.

Kultra laughed. Vas just shook his head. He started to offer the weapon back to Ialari but then seemed to hesitate, glancing back at Mathias. “Let her keep it.” Vas interjected. “We will need something like it on our way.” Mathias nodded his agreement.

“I can get more storm gems. There’s a Stormwarden in the settlement that can provide them. I thought it funny we hadn’t had a good blow for a year or more. I hadn’t equated it with the timing of the date the Kelvic arrived. When she handed me these, partially in payment for her bungalow, it explained so much.” He added, waiting until Kultra handed the weapon back to Ialari before Mathias himself handed her the rest of the storm gems he’d been carrying with him. There were a half dozen minus the one already chambered in the weapon.

Vas spoke up then. “There should be a way to make it just stun, like it obviously did with Aladon or Kill. I see the possibilities for both. Look for another way to change its function.” He advised the Isur woman. If Ialari looked, she’d now notice more runes, some that could be rotated. They were dirty, worn, having been submerged in the falls for who knows how long, but with a good cleaning the thing could be all but new again.

When they were all dispersed, regrouped, and returned, Kultra had something more for them. “Before Randal leads us away, let me hand these out.” The blond man said, opening his drum case – the spare compartment – and pulling out what looked like long shimmering ponchos with full hoods. The fabric on each of them seemed to swirl and change, like a chameleon’s skin, as the fabric flowed through Kultra’s hands. He handed one to each of them, the Founders and Vas included. The other stranger seemed amused and nodded, immediately slipping the unusually light fabric poncho over his head. Suddenly his dark clothing changed, blending into the coloring of the wooden table and chairs and the general shape and brightness of the bar. A bit of the top portion of his hood even mirrored the blue of the water seen out of the open wall. They could still see him since most of them had been watching Vas as he donned the item. He wasn’t invisible, not by a long shot, just very very well hidden to someone having not just witnessed his camouflaging who walked into the bar after the fact.

“These will blend you into the surroundings. They will mask your scent and pick up the color of the foliage around you. If you stand quietly without a sound, carefully even masking your breathing, wild things will pass right by you unaware. Your presence might make them uneasy, but they won’t generally spot you. I suggest you wear them. They are roomy enough to fit over packs and have the added bonus of being waterproof.” He added.

Randal cleared his throat then. “If we are all ready… lets be on our way.” He said, putting on his own poncho over his pack and heading towards the door. It would be a long trek through the jungle towards where the light and sound came from, and as they went they’d all have to be careful. Even the veteran Founder didn’t know what traps had been laid along the journey there. Thankfully there were no actual trails. That would have been to obvious. So once the group mustered and Randal set off in the lead, he’d take them the most direct pathway, out of the settlement and into the fringe jungle that climbed slightly up the slopes to the higher true jungle that existed above Syka.

The youngest founder walked with his machete out, carefully chopping at vegetation that got in their way. He’d blaze a trail, but he’d also be open for suggestions, questions, and talk of strategy since they had a lot of time to kill just in traveling. He’d have them walking most of the day. And as the night fell and the party found themselves deep in the jungle, he found a ridge that overlooked a portion of the maw not very far off from where he had found the World Gate. At dusk its vantage was not good, the light bleeding out of the world too fast. But at dawn it would be the perfect location as long as fog stayed out of the lowlands beyond the ridge where the World Gate was.

“Make camp.” He ordered quietly, carefully reviewing the area. “We need to set watches. I recommend Mathias take the first one. I can take the last one. Who wants which others between? I say two hour watches, two of us awake at a time.” He added, stating what he wanted and leaving it for the rest of the group to decide.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Fire In The Sky

Postby Aladon on February 9th, 2018, 10:15 am

Aladon walked by to the meeting place with all his gear in hand. The blacksmith walked over to where everyone was gathered and stood in silence as Kultra, the blond man, pulled out as case filled with shimmery hooded cloaks of a unknown make or origin. The Isur was amazed at the sight of the cloak because he never seen anything like it. When he was handed one of the hooded cloaks, he was shocked when he looked down and noticed that the part of him covered by the cloak blended into the immediate area around him. The Isur smirked to himself evilly and thought to himself, 'Maybe I can sneak up on Nieve and Nya now! Wait no I have to give it back. Oh well.'

When Aladon watched Kultra put on the cloak, he could definitely see that something was off if you looked directly at him and the surroundings. Kultra explained how Aladon could use it to blend into the environment if there was predator around them or any other possible dangers. The Isur raised his hand asked respectively, “I have never seen this material before. Is it a type of silk? Also, how do you mask your breathing? I am not the stealthiest creature in the world, so any pointers to not give my position away would be appreciative.” The Isur wasn't joking about his lack of stealthiness. He was about as light-footed as a cow walking on broken glass. He was more built for standing toe to toe with his enemy not sneaking by it. The blacksmith was quite happy with his temporary new cloak, and he hoped it will keep him cool in the humid jungle. He was alright hot in his leather armor, but he would just have to suffer till he get back to Syka.

As everyone was starting to get ready to start their journey, Aladon decided that he should give Anibesa a weapon since he was worried that she didn't have anything to protect herself. Everyone seemed to have a weapon accept her. Walking over to Anibesa, he set his backpack down, pulled out the dagger with it's sheathe, offered it to the Eth, and said with a nod, “Ani, it not Isurian made, but I bought in Riverfall, so I know from experience that they weapon-smiths know what they are doing.” Pulling the dagger from the sheathe, he showed her the blade, “I am used to bastard swords, so I am no dagger expert, so it is less of a slashing weapon and more of stabbing weapon. May Leth protect you that you never have to use it during our journey, but at least you have something to protect you.” Sheathing the weapon, he handed it to her and said with a wink, “I would be very vexed if you come to harm, so...anyways here you go. Stay safe and don't be a hero.”

Flashing her a reassuring smile, Aladon took a drink out of his water skin, placed it back into the pack, and put his backpack on to his back. He put his shimmery cloak over his shoulders and pulled the hood over his head, and lastly, he unsheathed his kukri and got in line behind the rest of Syka's “volunteer army”. When Randal started slashing through the jungle foliage, Aladon started to trudge through jungle cutting away the vegetation as he moved through too. As he traveled, it was slowly as he must have tripped over every rock, vine, and errand stick in the jungle. If the group was trying to be stealthy, he was definitely hindering their efforts. The journey through the jungle was slow for the Isur, but he did his best not to fall behind the pack. Somehow, he made it made up to Randal, and as he was cutting a vine with his kukri and said out loud to the young founder, “I remembered something about my attackers. They looked humanoid like us, but they were reptilian in appearance with scales as smooth as skin; however, they didn't have the faces as a snake or a lizard. If it weren't for the scales and coloring, they could pass for humans. The most striking features were their blue eyes and elongated fingers with claws on the end of it.”

Deciding to take a chance, Aladon was trying to remember about what they taken from him and suggested to Randal, “What if we aren't dealing with a army? What if we are dealing with are group of explorers or scientists? If they came to harm us, they could have easily killed both Anibesa and me. However, they took samples from both of us and left us to recover. Also Jansen believed that they might be tracking us with the pebbles. I don't think a soldier would do those actions. What if we can reason with them? There might be no need for violence if we can come to understanding. They could be scholars. I know this is contrary to Islari suggestion, but maybe we should just talk to them before we do something rash like assault and kidnapping one of them to gather information. It seems counter productive to make a enemy of someone just to find out who and what they are? Randal what would be your first reaction if one of the members of our community assaulted and kidnapped one of us? If it were me, I would stop at nothing to get them back, and I believe so would they...Would you?”

Aladon said softly, “Here is my advice. It is easier to lift a fist to the unknown than extend a hand to the unknown...”

After his disccussion with Randal, the Isur made his way to the middle of pack because he just couldn't keep up with the young founder. He stopped took off his hat and wiped the sweat from his head. The blacksmith hoped his words were taken into a account by their leaders because he really believed that they should try diplomacy first. He wasn't a coward by any means, but maybe these outsiders could help them get Morwen back to Mizahar. It be a naive way of thinking, but the world had seen so much suffering already. Why should they add to it unnecessarily by attacking the Unknown first? He will do what the group decided in the end, but he wanted his leaders to know that they have another opinion if they are brave enough to take it. Besides, there were people that he cared about and children back in Syka. If they attacked the outsiders than they might retaliate against Syka later.

When they made it to the location where they were going to make camp. Aladon took off his backpack and sat on the ground. He was hot and sweaty, and he wondered why he wore his armor, but he realized that they could be going into battle soon. However, since they were making camp, he decided to take off the leather breast plate and shoulder pads to cool himself down. He took another drink of water, and he looked at all the weary travelers. He gave Ialari, Anibesa, and Satevis a nod and smile if they talked to him. He would just smile and respond for now, but he just needed to cool down, so he sat in silence looking at the ground. When Randal suggested volunteers for the watch, the Isur raised his hand and said with a nod, “I will stand watch. I lived most of my life under a mountain, so I can see in the dark. Also, I suggest we don't have a fire tonight. It might give our position away if we are near there camp. They could see the flames or smell the smoke in the air. Unless you know a way to mask our position from them?”
Thank you Gossamer for the posting template!
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist

Words: 116392
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2017, 3:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fire In The Sky

Postby Satevis on February 10th, 2018, 4:42 am

Satevis watched closely, with interest, as Jansen pulled the small stones from both Aladon and Anibesa. He was particularly interested in the stones and what they contained, but he found himself watching Jansen's technique with care as well, taking note of the skillful way with which the healer both numbed their pain and withdrew the stone without causing more damage than necessary. Jansen was truly a master of his craft. In a way, Satevis's apprenticeship with the healer had started out as nothing more than a means to an end; he needed a reason to stay in Syka, and working at the Panacea gave him a legitimate reason to stay, as well as a fascinating new course of study and something to do that was helpful to the citizens. But he found that more and more, he was becoming interested in medicine for the sake of medicine, and not just in an abstract, academic sense.

It was odd. Satevis had never really given much thought to becoming a doctor, only to learning enough to not be a burden to the settlement. He wondered if this was what purpose was.

Nevertheless, he refrained from commenting, although he did listen with interest as Vas examined the stone. The man's suggestion--that the strangers were observing them--did bother him somewhat. In a lot of ways, it made sense. If Satevis was studying a new and interesting organism, and he had a way to track the organism, he would use it. But it was disturbing because of what it implied...it was not something Satevis would have done to something he considered human, with sentience. It was the sort of way one might treat an animal, a curious new creature come out of the woods. And it was a security risk.

"Wait," he said, looking between Aladon, Anibesa, Vas, and Jansen, "How many other people have been marked like this? If this is, as you say, a tracking device, could these strangers not be tracking other residents of Syka right now? And won't they know that you've removed their tracker?"

It was an uncomfortable thought, but one that he felt needed to be said. They were going into the jungle to do what they could; that had already been established. But these things represented a security risk for those who would stay behind. Regardless, there wasn't much he could do, as he had already agreed to accompany them. He watched as Kultra demonstrated how to use the strange weapon--the amount of magecrafting that must have gone into that!--and revised his Reimancy theory. Far more likely that they were dealing with people with access to artifacts Satevis hadn't even dreamed of before, which was more disturbing and more terrifying than the idea that these people used ordinary magic.

And...if he was being honest, more intriguing as well.

He studied the poncho that Kultra had given him with some interest, slipping it on over his shoulders and watching the way that it camouflaged him. He lifted his arm, watching the folds of the fabric take on the colors of his background, and prodded at the cloak as if examining it. "Thank you," he said to Kultra, meaning it. "This will certainly be useful." After all, Satevis hadn't exactly spent much time out in the jungle. Though he would remain alert, he was relying on the group at this point to help him not get himself killed.

Hopefully, he thought, he could eventually return the favor.

As they set out into the jungle, Satevis stayed towards the middle of the group, although he did note Aladon moving forward to speak to Randal. Watching his step carefully to make sure he did not step on anything unwelcome, Satevis followed. He drew his scimitar to help, slicing at the vines where he could, although he was sure to watch how Randal and Aladon did it to avoid cutting through anything that might be harmful.

"I've been thinking about that myself," he said. "The way that they treated you and Anibesa is concerning. While it is understandable that they've never seen anything like us before, stunning a specimen in that way isn't the sort of thing a scholar typically does to something they perceive as human. It's possible that they don't see us as sentient beings...which would be worrying, and would make diplomacy difficult. There's also the matter of language. We have no idea what they speak."

Satevis frowned, realizing that what he was saying might come off as being too contrary. "I'm not necessarily advocating that we start by capturing one," he said. "But these are concerns that need to be dealt with. That these are intelligent people who can be reasoned with it may not be the question--the question might be if they'd accept that reasoning from us."

His piece said, Satevis drifted back to the middle of the group. He was no stranger to walking, but the heat was starting to get to him; not the dry heat that this body was used to, but a hot, humid heat that made his shirt cling to his skin with sweat. By the end of the day, he was feeling exhausted, but he loosened the ties of his shirt anyway, preparing for the coming of night.

As soon as the sun sank beneath the horizon, he felt a sudden surge of energy, his exhaustion washing away as he grew taller, the color bleeding from his hair and turning it white, turning his skin pale and glowing faintly as he took on his Ethaefal form. His eyes were violet now, and black horns curved around the back of his head, almost like a circlet. Satevis didn't bother to look at Anibesa, who was probably undergoing the same transition. He turned to Randal as the Founder asked for volunteers for the watch.

"I'm happy to stand a watch wherever I'm needed," Satevis said. His exhaustion was gone, his hunger and thirst gone. He still felt the discomfort of the heat, but it was easing up now, with the coming of night. "I can stand watch a little longer as well, if the rest of you need to sleep. I don't feel as tired at night. Moonlight sustains me." He deliberately kept his gaze away from Anibesa as he spoke, waiting to see what they would say.

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
Satevis
Player

Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fire In The Sky

Postby Anibesa on February 10th, 2018, 5:46 pm

"Common" | "Fratava" | "Tukant"

The sight of the stones removed from the backs of their necks caused Anibesa to shudder slightly. The idea of something meant to track their movements was daunting to Anibesa, especially considering that others in the settlement could have the stones in the backs of their necks, after all neither her nor Aladon had made anyone aware of what had actually happened. It even appeared that Satevis had the same thoughts as her about who was and wasn’t being tracked, and then he raised an even better point that sent a shiver down her spine. Did they know that the tracking stone wasn’t in Aladon and herself anymore. They were obviously advanced, from the weapon and the tracking stones, and Anibesa wondered what else they could have that would affect the group's plans to scout the World Gate.

Then she heard Satevis’ question about what the light looked like and Anibesa thought back to the night, recalling how it hadn’t had the natural kinks that lightning usually had. It was straight.
”No, it wasn’t really. It didn’t bend at all like lightning does. It was bright like lightning, and thin too, but it didn’t behave like lightning at all.” she said, before shrugging apologetically. She couldn’t find the words to describe what the light beam had really looked like. She imagined that the only way that anyone could really understand what it looked like would be to see it themselves.

When everyone was together again, Anibesa kept her eyes glancing around the group until Kultra, the blond, started to speak. She turned her full attention to him, in time to see him retrieve cloaks from his drum case, and she was amazed at the sight. She’d never seen anything like it before, with the way that the cloaks shimmered and shifted. As they were passed to each of the group members, Anibesa found herself glancing around to see other peoples reactions before looking down and focusing on the fabric trying to see what it was made from. Her first thought went to magic, as she couldn’t think of anything to explain it.

”Thank you.” she said quietly, only briefly looking up at Kultra as her hands still ran over the cloak trying to get some idea as to what the fabric was and how it had been made.

Then she looked up to watch Vas put on the cloak, and instantly she felt her jaw drop in amazement at the way that he now blended with the surroundings. She could still see where he was, but it was a good camouflage and had they been in the jungle she’d likely not have noticed him fully without a lot of trying! It looked like it would be useful in the jungle, especially as Anibesa hadn’t spent much time in there due to her lack of useful skills for survival in the jungle. If any animals were out there, the use of the cloak could be highly beneficial in hiding.

Then they were ready to go and Anibesa was about to follow everyone before Aladon approached her and offered her a dagger, showing her the blade and explaining about it, and a slight smile came across her face, accepting the dagger.
”I’d packed my razor just in case, but this is a very kind gesture! Thank you!” she said, smiling directly at the Isur, her hands running over the sheathed dagger. ”And may Izurdin protect you so that you need not use your sword!” she said calmly, remembering the name of the Isur’s patron deity. Then she followed Aladon and the rest of the group, pulling her cloak over herself and looking down at herself, amazed at how the cloak worked.

She walked near to Aladon, able to hear the conversation he was holding about the people and whether kidnapping one of them was good. They hadn’t killed or kidnapped any of the settlers in Syka, so how would the Sykans capturing one of them helped out. Then came Satevis’ input and Anibesa thought about what to say. She still wasn’t sure what she thought of what the ‘people’ had done and what they were like, and she wasn’t sure how she felt about capturing one of them. It might be the only way for them to finding out what was happening, but it could also be useless if they didn’t speak a language that anyone understood. Then it could also be detrimental to the settlement if they retaliate violently. She just hoped that whatever they did was the right choice and that they could face the consequences well, and minimise any damage.

”If we capture them and they are able to be reasoned with, we can find a way to explain what we were doing and thinking and they would understand. If they are malicious then we will find a way to deal with the consequences. Even if we choose not to capture one it’s possibly that they would attack the settlement if others have the tracking things in them.” she said quietly and worried that what she was saying was too obvious. ”Whatever we do is going to have consequences that we’ll have to find a way to deal with, but none are as dangerous as winter never returning to Mizahar. We have to find the best way to help Morwen and Yshul back to Mizahar, and whatever way that is I’ll be happy to do whatever I can.”

Then Satevis drifted back and Anibesa moved to walk with him. He still reminded her of everything they’d lost, but she felt as though he was someone in the group that could understand there.

”These people chose to come to this world, and they’ll likely be going back to their world eventually. Don’t you envy them, knowing that they know when they get to return home?” she asked quietly, keeping her jealousy only known to Satevis, though she wasn’t the stealthiest.

When the day came to an end, the setting of the sun caused the light to overtake her body as she changed form, the only thing bearing any resemblance to her Svefra form being that her eyes were still blue.

She heard Randal ask for volunteers and both Aladon and Satevis volunteered, and she noticed Satevis looking away from her. Aladon had also brought up the topic of a fire.

”It is easy for me to wake up and they sleep again, so I can take watch in the middle of the night, and like Satevis I can stay awake longer. I do sleep, but only for the sake of my daytime self.” she said calmly, before glancing around. ”And a fire could draw attention to us if we’re near them, if not then it could be a disadvantage as it would be harder for most of us to see any approaching dangers without a source of light. What would you say is best, Randal?” she asked, fully aware that Randal was likely the most experienced in surviving the jungle. What he said would be far more valid and would instill more confidence in the group than anything Anibesa or Aladon could say.

Once the discussions had finished, Anibesa pulled her old grey cloak from her backpack, and set it on the floor below her, preventing herself from sitting directly on the group in case it was wet and would cool her down, or in case it was infested with insects it would make it harder for them to get to her and bite her.
Lethaefal-Svefra
Day Night
Eyes Blue Blue
Hair Auburn Black
Horns Green
Skin Fair and freckled Marble like, cool toned and shimmering
Anibesa
Svefra by Day, Letheafal by Night

Words: 164692
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2017, 2:27 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fire In The Sky

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 10th, 2018, 9:21 pm

When the others grouped around Jansen for an examination, something about being shot, Ialari instead ordered another rum punch and downed it rather quickly. Although having some semblance of a plan as well as a little more background information had calmed her nerves a bit, she was still left with great concern. As she swallowed the last few gulps of her drink, she couldn’t shake the feelings of anger, fear and confusion caused by Kultra and Vas’ mention of things that they could not possibly know. The voice in her head, one she was trying to ignore, kept screaming at her something about putting the pieces together and stop being so ignorant but she continued to stifle it. What the two had said would have to wait to be addressed later.

When she’d finished her drink, Ialari steeled herself against her own feelings as she approached and handed Kultra the strange item. She watched him closely as he examined it. She watched his hands move across the surface of the item in a way that spoke of skill with such things. When he caused the item to open up part of itself, she gave a nervous smile of approval. Kultra’s reveal that it was a magecrafted weapon fueled by something called a storm gem, Ialari wished she could have discovered that on her own. Having some knowledge of such things, she hated to admit to herself that there was so much more out there that she didn’t know.

When Mathias spoke up and gave Kultra a strange looking gem, Ialari took a half a step back once the latter placed it into the weapon; causing it to hum. Ialari couldn’t believe what she’d found when Kultra walked over to the open wall and made the weapon unleash a blaze of light. Ialari resisted the urge to snatch the weapon from Kultra as he hesitantly offered it back to her. Despite the negative feelings the strange man had caused her, there was something that felt strangely familiar about him now that she was standing so close. She still couldn’t quite place it though. The mention of storm gems and a Stormwarden were thing things that were unknown to her. Somewhere in Syka there was a female Kelvic who from the sounds of it, had some influence over the weather and possessed more of the strange gems that Mathias had just handed her.

Finally taking the opportunity to speak, Ialari commented, “I don’t know exactly what a Stormwarden is but if she has more of these strange gems, I’d love to get my hands on them. Perhaps when this is all over, I will look her up myself.” Ialari turned as Vas spoke. His mention that it was the type of weapon that had shot Aladon was another new revelation. These two newcomers were casually revealing more and more things that said they obviously had a superior perspective. Now is the the time, she told herself as Vas mentioned the possibility of changing the weapon’s function. Moving it around with her hands and looking closely across its surface, Ialari noticed what could be other runes. A little cleanup and she could get a better look. She made a mental note to take a moment or two when she returned to her ranchero to clean it up.

As things wrapped up at the bar and Ialari returned to the ranchero, she began laying out the gear she would take with her. She didn’t know how long they would be gone or what exactly they would encounter which made choosing what to take a bit easier. Strapping her poisoncrafting kit to her backpack first, she then proceeded to prep the pack for a moderate trip. She would bring her bedroll, waterskin and other basic survival gear. Also, she put on a chest wrap and a pair of trousers tucked into her high black boots. With her seamonster-tooth dagger looped on her belt pouch, all Ialari had left to do was give the strange new weapon a bit of cleaning. With a bit of cloth, water and some sand she began scrubbing away the grime. As she did, more runes revealed themselves and she found that some of them even rotated. It would definitely take some testing to learn what runes did what in which position but that was the fun part. When she’d cleaned it up as much as she had time for, Ialari slung it in the free loop on her pouch. After one last check of her gear, she pulled on her pack and made her way back to the bar.

When everyone had regrouped at the bar and Kultra started handing out the strange shimmering ponchos, Ialari grinned widely as Vas put his on and blended into the bar surroundings. Ialari listened to Kultra’s instructions on how to use the strange ponchos while also admiring the masterful use of magecraft that must have gone into their construction. As they prepared to leave, Ialari put her own poncho on and followed Randal and the rest of the group.

As Randal led the group to the jungle outskirts and then further inside, Ialari kept her weapons slung at her side so as to better manage her footing and balance while traveling inside the jungle. It was wet, slippery and there were exposed tree roots that were easily hidden by the underbrush; a definite tripping hazard. As they traveled throughout the day, Ialari made certain to take numerous yet measured sips from her waterskin while constantly looking out for natural jungle dangers; poisonous snakes, spiders, plants and the like.

At one point, the things that were bothering her about Kultra and Vas started to grow heavy on her mind. She had allowed herself to listen a little to the voice in her head that had been telling her to put together the pieces. Finally, after having let it all gnaw away at her for too long, she whispered to herself a curse of resolve followed by a short prayer to Izurdin for patience before she worked her way to where Kultra was. Searching for the strength to address one of the strange men who seemed to know so much about her, Ialari spoke directly yet quietly, “So, I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot back at the bar, for that, my apologies; must be that patchwork soul of mine.” She flashed him a sarcastic smile although it took a lot of patience on her part to manage it. “I do want to thank you for your help thus far and hope that before this is all over you feel it right to tell me who you really are and honor me with a discussion.” Whether or not how or if he responded, Ialari gave Kultra an isurian gesture of respect; slightly lowering her head while softly holding the back of her knuckled fist to her forehead.

As day gave way to night and the group stopped on the ridge in order to set up camp, Ialari listened to others decide who was going to take what watches. It was then that she noticed that two of the people in the group, the Svefra and Benshira were not what they used to be only a short time ago. While she had not seen the transformation, the horned, pale complexions were still rather startling. Her hand moving to what she’d decided to call the Stormslinger, Ialari looked to see the reactions of the others in the group to this new occurrence. Having spent time with the Goddess of Death, rotting nuits, ancient maddened ghosts, hungry zith and horrific beasts from the depths of the Ukalas, these two horned creatures were not frightening yet they were without a doubt, interesting. Before, they were simply another couple of humans of little note in Ialari’s eyes. Now however, they were something far more curious. In an inquisitive tone, “That’s a neat trick. So, um, you are what exactly?”

Assuming Satevis and Anibesa’s transformation didn’t shake things up too much, Ialari would offer whatever watch was left over. The idea of sleeping never really sat well with her because of the nightmares. Haunted by the fractured memories of the Seven Robe Wizard Amir Berliotz, they manifested as nightmares that made for terrible nights trying to sleep; one of the prices paid for Dominion.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Words: 923994
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

PreviousNext