Closed [Tarsin's Boarding House]A Party For Dinner[Main]

Clyde holds a winter dinner party for mages for his own reasons...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Tarsin's Boarding House]A Party For Dinner[Main]

Postby Elias Caldera on February 9th, 2018, 5:26 am

Elias’s throaty laughter took a moment to find its stride in the wake of Clyde’s ultimatum, but before long it was carrying out across the veranda in hearty waves, reaching its booming crescendo right before it abruptly died in silence as he noticed the commander’s expression hadn’t changed a wink.

You’re not kidding.” He said in sheer astonishment, his face flat with concern and unease.

Of course he’s not kidding. Does this look like a man whose ever once made a joke in his life? the swordsman mused bitterly. At least he now knew where all the rum had gone; their host had clearly imbibed it all already, how else to explain the absurdity of his words, let alone the straight face he had somehow managed to speak them aloud with. That, or his mind was simply addled with one too many overgivings. This was a joke, even if the other man hadn’t seemingly intended it to be. He had meant to humiliate the Caldera, to make a fool of him in front of the others, especially now that it seemed more had joined. Elias hadn’t failed to make note of their entry, nor how some were more willing than others. The boy in particular, with his unkempt hair and that newborn lamb look in his wide eyes seemed wholly unprepared for what he had just stumbled into. The woman that followed however, dressed in her rich regalia and wielding a familiar air of supremacy and calm about her, was a different story.

With their arrival, he suddenly found himself feeling very naked again without his blade close at hand. It was even worse now with Alija’s disappointment and concern as palpable as the tension that had suddenly been birthed between him and Sullins. As in all things, this was escalating into a contest. Pride, hard earned and deeply ingrained, demanded that he win, whatever the cost or game. New priorities on the other hand, namely his cousin’s respect, reminded him that he could no longer be as brash and indiscreet as he once was, a notion he was reminded of by her calming touch upon his hand. That should have been enough. It should have been all he needed to throw away his ‘less civil’ tendencies and brush this off as just a mere misunderstanding. He knew all that, and yet, he also knew could not help himself.

I wonder,” Elias began, collecting himself and projecting an air of calm as he straightened to regard his fellow Stryfer, “where you learned to create such things, commander.” He turned to the new entries on the stage, raising a hand to his chest as he continued. “You see my talents were reared in the halls of Zeltiva’s great University. The finest center for magical discovery in all of Syliras -all the world I’d dare say." He knew the masters at the Institute of Higher Learning would vehemently disagree with such a statement, but then again, they'd also show the same distrust and dissension if you told them the skies over Nyka were just as blue as they were over Ravok. "How about you, young man?” He inquired genially towards the quaintly attired fellow who’d been trying his best to hide himself into one of the balcony’s shadows lest he go noticed. “Where did you learn? And you, my lady?” He turned next to the noblewoman and found himself tinged with a pang of jealousy. She smelled of old money and hereditary power, the kind that only ever deigned to venture outside the luxury of their city district when boredom and the desire for distraction became too strong to deny. No doubt the name of some expensive and private tutor would be her answer, but the Caldera was curious to hear the truth none the less.

Back in Zeltiva, my professors were almost universally the same. You remind me of them, comman- master Sullins.” He corrected as he turned to the blue-eyed master mage once more. His countenance and tone hadn’t changed, but the gleam in his eye had noticeably dwindled. “A bunch of stuffy old farts, all puffed up in their stuffy old robes as they shuffled from one library to another in search of the next magical tome to scry or idle student to berate. To the last, they were men fueled by ego, yet ruled by doubt, and first and foremost above all else, they taught restraint.” He went on, taking a step closer to the tables as he trailed his fingers nonchalantly across the metal links of the shackles so proudly displayed. Just touching the thing made his skin crawl, and even the sound of its unseemly clinking under his fingers had the sorcerer positively reviled. He pulled his touch away quickly, though his disgust was plain and hard to hide.

Restraint is what they tried to teach us, but the most important lesson I ever took away from their kind came when I looked at them and I saw exactly what it was I didn’t want to grow up to become.” He glanced at Alija, knowing the young Zeltivan aurist would know full well the problem child he used to be back in her native city. While he looked back at those times rather fondly for the most part, he doubted his cousin shared the same predilection. “Most of my learning -my real learning- was done not in the classroom, but during those inhibition-less and oftentimes inebriated adventures with my fellow students.” He went on, a small grin tucking at the edges of his pale lips. “Lighting the night’s sky aflame with an errant fireball. Lighting a friend’s hairline aflame with an errant fireball. Using auristics to find where the teacher had hidden the key to his drawer that contained all of tomorrow's test answers. Hell, I even took a dare to scale the walls of the University once with my flux just to catch a peek into the girl’s dormitory." His grin widened lewdly in recollection. "I learned a great deal that night; about risk and reward, about the things I was capable of if I set my mind to it, and the things I was willing to do to become capable,” he turned and gave a wink at the other lad as he added slyly “and I learned a great deal about women too.” If there was anyone among them who knew what Elias was talking about, his best bet lay in the boy. “I also learned professor Kellan didn’t accept broken arms as a tenable excuse for tardiness, especially when said broken arm had been earned from falling three stories off the side of the girl’s dormitories.

His attention whirled slowly unto Clyde once more, their icy irises clashing from across the party. "I ask where you picked your craft, because I'm curious to know; Where did you learn to think of magic as you do?

Where did you learn to be so... afraid?
"

He made a dismissive, dissatisfied gesture towards the table. "I find shackles and tea to make a poor impression upon a party for those augmented by the arcane. I can't help but think your inclination seems to be more about binding magic and keeping it user's docile than anything else. In a city like Ravok however -as it is across much of the rest of the world- there are only two kinds of people; the masters, and those that attend them. You may not trust in your control, but I assure you, I am master over my own magic, not a slave to its restraint."

He knew the other man would have a biting rebuttal in store for him, no doubt extolled in that same cuttingly dispassionate drawl like before that would do wonders for Elias's temper. He knew it was coming just as he knew the sun would rise, which exactly why in his final move, he didn't give Clyde a chance to answer quite just yet. Instead he spun on the newcomers, pointing a lackadaisical finger in their direction. "What do you two think?" He said with a smile that wasn't quite real. "Is it better to be the candle whose flame fears its own flickering?" He questioned, his pointing finger turning upright before abruptly sparking a small res born fire that rested gently above his index. "Or..." the fire flared, burning out of control for a moment before suddenly sizzling out in a puff of smoke "The candle that burns from both ends, bright and brilliant?"
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alija on February 14th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Alija heard the door creaking open behind them and a female voice speak to someone else who had also entered. She glanced back, trying to take in the newest arrivals - the newest mages. The man, about her age, wore old work clothes and looked uncertain to be here. It didn't take auristics to sense his nervousness - it was similar to her own, except he didn't seem to have a cousin like Elias with him to support him.

The woman was also their age. However, she was much better dressed. There was wealth behind her. Something about her soft looks suggested that it wasn't wealth she had earned, but was born into. It poured out of her through the confidence that came with being born into money.

She wanted to reach out with her auristics, but that was dangerous in the presence of other mages. Alija didn't know anything about their own magics, but she knew Clyde was better. She could hold herself back enough - show to all those looking that she was beyond childish snooping when in good company.

"It is nice to meet you," she politely nodded towards them, before smiling slightly. She could save introductions for later, when they started. Besides, Clyde had done well enough to slip her name into the conversation, if they were paying attention.

She was paying attention, now. He was explaining the objects. The cube sounded useless. The magic involved, that diverted auristics and other magic, not so much. But he was right: using it in a more useful way, now that he knew it worked, could unlock so many things. The cuffs were much more useful in their current state. It made her wonder - what was he trying to do with these objects? Just show off his skill, or use them to serve as a warning too?

Clearly Elias wasn't finding it as much as a warning as she was. He was tempting him now. He was challenging him. Mocking him. Alija took the tea that was handed to her and let herself get distracted by it so she didn't get involved in this. He took this too far. She knew too well what he could get into, what he had gotten into when he had been younger. As he spoke about the greatness of a lack of restraint, she wished he possessed some. Clyde wasn't afraid, he was sensible. Elias wasn't brave, he was reckless.

"Burn at both ends, and you'll burn out too quick," Alija warned, speaking softly towards Elias but aware that despite her efforts everyone would manage to hear her words, "You don't have to burn at either extreme." She glanced up towards the newest guests. She wished she could think of what to say to them. "Did either of you bring any of you work?" she suggested, wondering how likely that would be.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Maya Lark on February 19th, 2018, 3:19 am

She smirked while looking over at the man who seemed to be hosting the party. He dressed very well with disheveled hair and bright almost icy blue eyes. From the way, he sat in such away that it gave off a powerful feel from him. Her first instinct was to use her auristics and find out more about him, but thought better of it figuring the male would know instantly. Pushing that aside, she thanked the young server for the drink and picked it up. Drinking some of the liquid, the girl listened as the man talked about both the cube and the shackles.

The cube was interesting in that no magic could effect it. Many would likely test the theory just to try and prove him wrong, but if the man at the head of this dinner party was who she thought he was. It would better for him to become her ally than her enemy. It was not long at the mention of the one named Elias to be offered the shackles in exchange for the ability to drink ale. The girl's face crinkled some at the thought of the liquid that burned on the way down. She was shocked that the man to her left actually used his magic in front of them. Before that everyone seemed to be feeling each other out. A soft smirk played on her lips as she listened to the male's tie raid.

The girl moved her hair some and rolled her eyes. He seemed like a typical male who could not control himself. Much like a child throwing a tantrum to get its way. She allowed him to finish before looking over to the other female that was beside him. The pair seemed to know each other well; the dark haired Lark figured they were either related or lovers. Either way the two were basically arguing after the male decided to put his finger out. Soon enough he turned the question to herself and to the young male who was apparently still undecided about joining them or not.

“I agree with the young lady beside you, Alija I believe?” Maya said in a confident yet questioning way in case she was wrong.

“I think there is vast difference between the two of you. Each of you stand at the far end of a very unbalanced beam that all mages walk. As magic users we must find a balance between being reckless and not only harming ourselves but others as well; and being so scared and nervous that we hide who we are from all those around us. There is a time and place for each of those extremes, but it is our own personal judgment on when to step to the side. There are times in battle when you can be reckless and lash out more, but even then you must hold yourself back. If don't even those you are fighting with will be harmed as well. Burning the candle at both ends will get a person killed and those around them killed as well. So no I don't believe in such a thing. If you are not willing to control your ability, what right do you have to wield it?” Maya asked looking directly at the stryfer who was showing out.
Maya Lark
Player

Words: 67052
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2015, 3:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on February 20th, 2018, 1:22 am

Clyde, as with most things the night of the party, took Elias laughter in answer in stride. His statement of fact was quite clear, but he wasn't so sure Elias would see that. The most likely responses were refusal, acceptance, or obfuscation and avoidance. The last seemed most likely, and his response in some ways could be considered this last possibility.

When he finally seemed to realize Clyde was serious, his expression took a turn while Clyde's stayed the same placid flatness. Clyde however was starting to get the impression that Elias was taking everything Clyde said quite differently than to what he meant. That being, namely, what he said in actuality. He couldn't blame him, looking for ulterior motives and hidden agendas was a survival mechanism to a degree in the Stryfe. But taking everything personally, assuming all was meant as some plan to undermine you, that could be just as bad as ignoring said planning when it actually occurred.

The next words of the Reimancer though did strike a chord within Clyde, not that much evidence of this would be visible. Clyde was one to ponder and reason out any question posed to him. No matter the source. No matter how absurd. Limiting oneself to what had come before, to what was "possible" was the true anethema to Rhysol's domain. Ironic, he felt, that so many of the Stryfe and Sun were such stuck people unwilling to expand on take in new ideas.

His point was a somewhat valid one. Clyde did preach restraint, in himself and his students. He was cautious, never in a hurry when it came to magic. Of course, in terms of being a mage he was also much older than the others here, having been initiated and started learning as the age of 5. Almost 20 years... He'd also been mostly self taught, and done so somewhat in secret in Syliras. Or namely outside of the city itself, in the wilds.

Clyde had never considered it before, but he supposed his early experiences had to a degree shaped his views on magic and the mage he'd become.

His last comment though did make Clyde smile for a moment, a sad smile filled with dozens of tales of sorrow. I am master of my magic, my magic is not master of me... Something he'd before said to himself on many occasions. Usually, he had found, the more he felt the need to say it the less true it was in that moment.

His question on candles though brought Clyde back to his center, showing him that the man while having moments of clarity was often enough a fool. And a more so fool for thinking Clyde was one. Persuasion was a simple thing, as was steering a conversation, if you knew how. Staging a question as Elias just had with two answers which didn't truly leave one open to much choice and inclined a person towards a specific answer was a standard trick. Give a bad choice, or a good choice which you agree with. If anything this annoyed Clyde a bit more so than the actual words.

Less so than the simple show of magic, which if anything showed Clyde that the Reimancer had improved since he'd last seen him.

The Aurists words had a clear point, one Clyde himself had been thinking. A candle burning from both ends was a poor candle indeed. Both of the woman, by their responses and refusal to be forced into one of the choices Elias had given, showed they if nothing else had a decent head on their shoulders.

Once everyone who it appeared planned to speak did so Clyde let out a huff of air before responding.

“I'll admit, some of what you say are valid points. I imagine we are all shaped by our upbringing, our magic and how we treat magic. And how we teach it. Mine has made me more respectful of magic, more careful, than some. I'm also, compared to many, in less of a hurry to get somewhere if it means falling into a sinkhole by accident by going off the path, than I am wanting to get somewhere that I'll get to eventually if I follow that worn path.”

“But I'd also argue that life is learning, and if you don't grow and wisen you aren't really living. I'm also still alive, while many who I've met along the way aren't. Some of which went mad due in part to the very thing you speak so proudly of doing. Others are simply dead, no more or less so than those who went mad and lost control.”

“But a candle burning at both ends, that is a poor implement. It lets out little more light than a normal candle, serves almost no extra purposes, but burns to nothing in half the time. Twice as much only means twice as good if its not wasted after all. I'd prefer a a candle that only lights when needed, even if more brightly, rather than one burning at both ends or burning all the time with a dull glow. Both are wasteful.”

“I, however, do not technically teach restraint. There is a time for everything, even the release of restraint. Though even that I feel should be measured, as releasing yourself when you shouldn't is as liable to get you killed as not releasing yourself when you should. I teach caution, reason, and the avoidance of waste. That is what I look for in those I take a personal interest in. In my students, apprentices, and once they've gotten skilled enough partners. I'd considered you for this long ago, but perhaps its fortunate we didn't go down that route...”

Shrugging, Clyde looked about the room. “But there are always others, those looking for a guiding hand to help reach higher places.”

Focusing on the newly entered woman for a moment, Clyde met her gaze unflinchingly as he examined her eyes like one did a painting with a hidden letter within it.

“I also think you take things far too personally Elias, not everything is meant to offend or have a second biting motive. Sometimes people simply mean what they say, or mostly so. Not always, but sometimes. I think perhaps since we last met your magic has improved, but I'm not sure that your control has grown equally.”

Focusing on the new woman, Clyde would meet her gaze until she responded. Looking away, blinking, averring, staring back... He'd continue to examine her face and eyes until she did something which he'd also examine. Which would also tell him something about her.

“You, my lady... You I think perhaps make one too many assumptions. Looking on the face of something will only tell you what its face looks like. A flash of the present. It tells nothing of the future or the past, only the presents seeming. It does not give understanding of the whole, only the present face. A tree with burnt bark, if looked beyond this outer layer might be healthy and whole beneath. But you'd never know without looking further.”

Pausing for a moment, Clyde continued to examine her, while his aura sight did so more deeply.

“I also wonder at your words, and if you've ever used magic to fight let alone been in a battle. I know for a fact Elias has. I myself have on various occasions had nothing between myself and death but my own abilities with magic. That and at times a good length of wood. Its not something I've ever seeked out, but its occurred nonetheless. I don't disagree with most of what you've said, but nor do I agree with it.”

“I think of those here, perhaps Elias more so than others besides myself has perhaps earned his opinion by nature of still being alive, though not in the same way as I have.That doesn't mean we have nothing to learn, we both do I imagine, but still... Some things can only be earned by facing the trials and tests, and coming out the other side intact and alive to face the next. What lessons have you learned? What true trials and tests have you faced?”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Prophet on February 22nd, 2018, 10:10 pm

Standing in an elegant ravosala, the woman peered out at the black waters while torches and lanterns flickered in the soft breeze of the floating paradise. The reflections on the water were magical unto themselves; such beauty was hard for even the most skilled craftsmen to replicate. This was the work of a true master- a god and his benevolence extended well beyond the protection of a city. Soldiers and guards could protect a gate or a wall, even an object. Parents can protect their children and pets protect their loved ones but only a god could do so with such grace.

Rhysol kept their weather constant. He kept their city free of scum and slothful enterprises. He challenged them to better themselves and encouraged them to grow in ways that would benefit more than just the one. So many people loved Rhysol for the larger picture but only a few truly saw how dedicated he was to his people and his city. Like a mosaic of ten million beads, the god of chaos tailored every single facet of Ravok to be a standalone miracle when viewed from afar displayed the perfection that he is constantly finishing and shaping. Like all artists, he always believes that he can do more and do better. The elegantly dressed passenger knew this. Her attendant knew it as well for they both held a special relationship to the lord of the city.

The veiled eyes watched as the boarding house came into view and a smile spread over her features. When they docked, she waited to be escorted out by her man. Once on the platform, it became apparent that she was extremely tall for a woman and her build suggested a power not commonly known outside of the jungles of Taloba. It took very little time for the duo to make their way into the main dining hall which opened up to the balcony. The preparations had been made and there was a small cadre in attendance just has her intelligence had told. The woman had honey-colored hair which was curled and draped in a veil of all white material which held a bit of a shimmer to it though its purpose as a veil masked her facial features quite well. The hair bounced off of a graceful neck and well-toned shoulders left exposed by a dress made of the same material. Like a giant wrap, it was twisted and laid around the woman’s athletic form to expose pockets of skin along her sides down to the tops of her curved hips. Her arms were encircled but only lightly and the rest was left to flow along her long legs which took turns peeking through slits to reveal lines of muscle moving beneath firm and flawless skin of alabaster.

The attendant was diligent to remain behind the woman at all times and tucked in his black robes. He made a few demands of the staff but it seemed that all eyes were on the woman who paused at the archway which separated the dining hall from the next room. She pointed her palms down at the floor and stood still as she concentrated to bring the magic within her being to amass along her fingers and hands. The res shifted and bunched then straightened again as more and more of the substance was piled upon itself. She stared straight at the objects on the table then released the res having given it a purpose. The res was suddenly changed to a gas which began to spiral down towards the ground in a fog which began to pool underneath the woman. Her face cracked with an alluring grin and the res ignited with a spark but it did not burn, it vanished. The whirling wind formed a disc which pulled and billowed at the dress as the woman rose from the floor by several inches. She tilted her hands and floated through the space until she was next to the table designated for a special party. Gently, she set herself back down on her feet then flicked her wrists as if to cancel the spell.

The man in black robes scurried behind her and took a cup of mint tea from one of the servers then offered it to his mistress. With a bowed head, he held the cup out until her long fingers slipped around the container. “Thank you, Veziu.” He seemed to shiver with delight at hearing her voice, sweet as spring nectar, call his name.

“It was my pleasure, lady.” he bowed and reached to touch the cube but his scrawny arm was swatted away by the woman.

“Don’t be rude. Surely, our host will explain its purpose if you ask politely.” It was the first time either of them acknowledged the group standing on the other side of the table. The veiled face looked up from one gaze to the next until she came to the one doing all of the talking. “Isn’t that right, Commander Sullins?”

Template Courtesy of Wymez
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Elias Caldera on March 2nd, 2018, 3:54 am

Elias was at a loss for words.

Not only had Sullins not risen to the bait so antagonistically laid out before him, the strange mage had practically plucked it out of the water, rolled up the fishing line, and neatly returned both pole and lure to the Ravokian who’d cast it at him. He may as well have given the Caldera a consolatory pat on the shoulder with that placid and listless look he wore all throughout. As if to say “no thanks, better luck next time.”

What?

He didn’t want to fight!?

It was downright flabbergasting. Elias had never met another soldier -let alone another man- with so much self-restraint so as to withstand his verbal rancor. Incessant and unbearably vindictive at the best of times, once unleashed, his tongue’s wrath rarely failed to goad fools into charging headlong into their awaiting demise, which was exactly how Elias liked it. This wasn’t just restraint on Clyde’s part though, there was a stifling air of indifference seeping off the commander that seemed to dampen his every response, as if he were speaking to them from underwater, yet still somehow high and dry above the waves. It was upsetting to say the least.

Clyde gave him nothing. The man refused to bite, and it had only left the other warmage wondering if his fellow Stryfer’s affront had truly been an accident of edicate, or what seemed more likely the case the longer he listened to him speak, its utter absence. He must know even the sentiment of putting another citizen of Ravok in chains is an insult. He questioned my control, threatened my will, am I to tolerate such things from any other man? He knew the answer already of course, because he knew his cousin still watched him carefully from across the table where she sat, patiently studying his manner, weighing his words.

Damnit. He thought. What made a man so utterly apathetic and deliberate like this, the swordsman wondered? Even as he summoned his auristic sight beyond sight to help him discern Clyde’s secrets, he knew the answer would not be so forthcoming or simple as to reveal itself within the auras. Never the less, he sought them out regardless, and a myriad of dull, oppressive colors assaulted his arcane enhanced senses. The charade -if it was a charade- wasn’t entirely perfect. There was an underlying arrogance to Clyde that was as evident as the sun behind thinly drawn curtains, and you didn’t need magical abilities to recognize it. It was a pride all mages were entitled too, naturally, and something Elias was more than accustomed to navigating having had his talents reared in the halls of Zeltiva’s great University where so many sorcerers and their powerful personalities congregated en masse. It wasn’t something he begrudged when it came to his kind, merely expected. It was their lot in life to be better than the mundane after all, there was little point in denying that. Just as mankind was designed to be superior over the other subraces. Just as Ravok was destined to rule supreme over the other kingdoms. These were all givens in the world, indisputable truths to be accepted and embraced, not lamented over. The fact that Elias just happened to be Ravokian, human, and magically inclined was just destiny’s way of letting him know it had plans for the young man, that was all.

It definitely hadn’t skewered his views of things in the least bit, of course, merely helped… shape them. Much like his question had shaped his interpretation of the other mages at the party.

To the last, all in attendance who’d responded let it be known they preferred burning for the sake of burning. Existing for existence sake. Even Alija, increasingly annoyed with her cousin’s antics, had chosen as much.

The Caldera had to wonder though, if that was how they felt, then why even light the wick in the first place?

If one was to burn, then how could they not choose to blaze if given half the chance? Magic was a gift not meant to be contained or confined, but instead unleashed and relished to the fullest. Weak men went mad in the revelry. Weak men let themselves be destroyed by it. Not like Elias, and even if the swordsman would be loathe to admit it out loud, not like Clyde either. Staring into the distorted array of swirling, shifting colors that made up his calm and collected counterpart’s aura told the Caldera as much. The commander was strong in the arcane, and he was young enough that his power was certain to grow even greater still. They were clearly different, yet power begot power regardless of form. He couldn’t deny that.

Though the manner in which he deciphered and elucidated things to the point of tedium was disconcerting to put it mildly, Sullins was at least correct in one thing, Elias had been shaped by his experiences. To come so close to death so often that he and Dira may as well have been begrudging friends at this point had a way of influencing one’s mindset. Needless to say, in the end it had made him realize just how desperately fleeting life really was. There was not a moment that went by when his flame could not be snuffed out in a blistering instant, doomed to be forgotten and forlorn like so many other discarded wisps of smokes in the past. So to hear talk of calm and restraint, even if it was in conjunction with just magic’s role in life, merely made him all the antsier.

If Elias Caldera was going to burn, he would burn like the rising dawn. His light, however short and brief it promised to be, would be one felt across the world, blinding and brilliant from the sands of Anatep to the snow capped peaks of Avanthal. He'd been chosen by god! His radiance was not destined to simply illuminated the path laid out before him. No! his light would scorch the very earth itself until the obstacles were but ash and memory. His path would be the one he burned for himself, for the road to legend wasn’t one traveled by the calm and the constrained. It was forged by the bold and unbridled, and by the time his ashes were little more than dust in the wind, Elias intended for his name to be remembered on the lips of every man, woman and child on this earth. Such was his lot in life. Rhysol had forgiven him. Rhysol has chosen him. Either Elias attained, or he would die exhausted and broken in the effort. How could there possibly be any other way?

...Clyde seemed to have an answer for even that.

As the commander’s retort carried on with a length that threatened to overtake even Elias’s ramblings previously, the scarred soldier took the time to scrutinize the other man’s aura further to scry the true intent hidden in the words… maybe there was sense there, despite everything Elias knew telling him to ignore the drivel. Maybe there was wisdom to be had, and maybe he could embrace that if given enough time, or at least so his thoughts would go until the moment his thoughts and attention were completely stolen away as the latest guest to the party decided to arrive in style.

And what style it was...

The stryfer watched with mounting curiosity and astonishment as the newcomer, wreathed in sleek fitting silks of white and turbulent winds, made landfall upon the deck of the boarding house with a grace that belied the sheer ferocity of the magic that so lithely carried her step. It also belied the raw physicality that spilled from the massive woman’s intimidating frame and through the enticing slits sporadically cut across the length of her dress.

Diligence told him to adopt wariness, to be ready for anything and to go to this cousin's side and be close just in case. Something else however, was telling him quite the opposite.

A grin slowly cleaved its way across his marred face as he studied every demanding detail with devious discern. It was a wolfish and altogether inappropriate smile that would have made his thoughts as plain as day to anyone who cared to notice; Elias was liking what he saw.

Veiled eyes fell upon them then one by one, and Elias had little doubt she in turn was being scrutinized by the others through means other than mere mortal’s sight. He knew this because he had been staring at her intently with his auristics the moment he’d noticed the flare of reimancy from downstairs. As that mysterious gaze fell upon him at last however, the mage’s lips parted, intent on introductions and determined to charm. Whoever this wondrous creature was, she'd just stumbled into the spider's web that was the Elias Caldera's magnetic allure, and she hadn't even realize it yet. The poor woman.

Before he had a chance to even speak however, his words died in his throat as her mysterious gaze quickly departed, falling instead on another with far more apparent interest...

Isn’t that right, Commander Sullins?

Elias bit back a groan.

A lot to react toAnd I'm sure I missed almost everything. Not my finest work unfortunately, but the show must go on.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alija on March 11th, 2018, 9:53 pm

"Yes," she replied simply to the other woman's checking of her name, "Alija." She then went on to say what Alija herself had been trying to say. The way she spoke, Alija knew the woman had all the confidence and upbringing that had brought it about that she herself had missed out on. It put her in a position of awe, that was probably evident in the slightly jealous look in her eye as she listened to her talk. Until she began to question her cousin's right to wield magic, at which the blacksmith stiffened in her seat. Perhaps Elias was brazen and brash with it. Perhaps he didn't control it like a more conservative wizard. But whoever this spoiled girl was, she couldn't question someone who Alija knew used his magic for real reasons. This Ravokian probably didn't any skills and she would still be able to coast through life.

Clyde's statements were more interesting. She lingered on the thought of a guiding hand. The way he examined the room, as if testing a series of metals for the one with the least flaws, seemed to reveal something about his motives of this dinner. He was searching for student, apprentice, partner, whatever he decided to call it, was he? It seemed like a good enough reason behind this meeting.

As Alija sat there, taking a fork to the delicate leaves in her plate and distracting herself with something in her mouth, she found herself agreeing with Clyde too. This time, he was expressing her thoughts about the Ravokian woman. He was calling her out on never using magic for anything. She couldn't help but be grateful she wasn't on the other end of that conversation. As much as she could judge the woman for not having done anything with it, Alija couldn't stake a claim to her magic as strongly as the other men could either.

She was content with not having a claim, though. Not after knowing that death could be on the other side of it.

Slowly, a sweeping fog crept into the room. Alija found herself freezing instinctively at the arrival of a new mage, knowing it took a powerful - or over-confident - mage to create such an entrance for themself. She seemed to float into the room, carrying with her both magical and physical power. Her build was well defined, the strength of a warrior. With her, she brought an attendant, an obedient thing called Veziu. It seemed to part of some great show.

Carefully, she shrunk away, letting the others deal with her. She seemed to know Clyde, after all. Alija could just hide beside Elias, and feel out of place. The woman stuck close to her cousin's side, pulling away behind him.

She couldn't help averting her gaze. Even without feeling her aura, she knew this was a woman to be wary of. And she wasn't planning on getting the wrong side of any of these Ravokian mages - especially not this one.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 12th, 2018, 1:35 am

Elias' use of magic, while subtler than some of the others he'd seen, was still relatively easy for him to notice. Particularly as to a degree had everyone in the room within a bit of his aura sight and focus. He felt the hum of djed upon the Reimancer as he began to use magic, and soon after the hum of his own as magic was placed upon him.

With what he could glean from the various auras along with his own knowledge of magic from the past he was fairly certain the Reimancer was using Auristics just as he was. It wasn't as invasive and penetrative, didn't inject itself within his aura as hypnotism, and he didn't know of another similar magic that was also not visible which went from one person to another similarly. That didn't mean it was that magic, but of the ones he knew it seemed the most likely. He couldn't eliminate some other magic he'd not heard of, as from his own experience of running into new ones there were magics he knew nothing of.

He could have protected his aura, stopped him from doing as he did, but he'd already decided against doing such a thing earlier in the meeting so long as no one directly attacked him. While it was invasive, it wasn't an attack. Or he didn't think it was.

It seemed however before Elias could comment upon anything he saw another guest arrived to the party.

He sensed the hum just before the magic was made manifest, reaching out to the magic with his aura sight and latching on with another tendril stretched out. Once he noted their attendant he did likewise with yet another tendril, though sensing her more active magic coming from her statuesque frame he switched his more active sight onto her and let the others settle into the back of his mind. Young Clyde sat in a small corner of his mind pulling at the smaller strings in turn, watching them all. Clyde himself focused directly on the main aura of the woman.

Her rather showy display of magic in and of itself said something about her, along with to a degree her skill. Perhaps not as skilled as he himself, but then he'd started Reimancy at 5, but still quite skilled it seemed. Not just in Reimantic power though, as the magic itself wasn't that potent, but in finesse and control which Clyde knew was much trickier albeit less so at such a close distance.

He was curious as to her exact technique, not quite following what she'd done in particular in such a short span of time, nor which elements exactly she'd used. Water for the fog, air for the floating? Some kind of air cushion as best he could follow, though he wasn't quite sure.

Clyde kept his face and mind calm, another meditative breath exhaling his concern and distraction to let him better focus on the goings on.

He was less sure about the woman's... Thrall for lack of a better term. He wasn't sure what control she had over him, whether magical or otherwise, but he did seem quite devoted.

Young Clyde sitting in the corner of his mind plucking away at aura strings smirked for a moment seeing the man being chastised for trying to touch the items he'd left out. Clyde himself outwardly left no such signs, though the split in emotions might have been visible within his aura.

As she spoke Clyde gave a somewhat noncommittal shrug, staring at where her eyes should be to meet her assumed gaze. His aura sight though attempted to peer through the thin cloth to her feature beneath, something that should have been relatively simple assuming she wasn't another master Aurist or didn't have some other means of magically protecting herself and her aura from magical sight.

Her knowing his name wasn't surprising, at least not in this room as it seemed half the people were ones he'd already met or who knew of him. Still he couldn't quite place her from his memory, and wasn't sure if they'd met and he'd forgotten her or if she knew of him but he had never met her. As he spoke of the people all present in the room Clyde momentarily shifted his mundane gaze to each in turn again before returning to the woman.

“Just Clyde, my lady. As I said before you arrived, this isn't a formal affair. No ranks, no titles. Just mages. I am as I stand before you all, my abilities should state my case not rank or title.”

It was at that moment Clyde noticed that he was standing. He couldn't quite recall if he'd been standing for awhile, or if he'd unconsciously stood when she'd entered, but he purposely sat now after rapping the base of Cha on the ground twice.

“Please, sit, have something to eat or drink. There is plenty. I believe they'll be starting the next course soon, soup I believe?”

At this Clyde eyed one of the servers who responded with a nod and darted out of the room.

“A mixed vegetable soup, or a meat stew. I believe one of fish and one of some other meat. I've already placed my choices in advance, I'm more partial to meat.”

Gesturing at the items on the table, Clyde nodded at the man behind the new woman.

“I've already explained the centerpieces, but I don't mind explaining again. Both are works of mine, Glyphing creations from awhile back. One a practical piece, the other more of a proof of theory.”

Eying the woman's thrall, Clyde nodded at the pieces.

“You can touch them if you like, just don't break them. Not that they're too easy to break, but most anything is if you use enough concerted effort.”

“If you'd like, try to use magic on the cube. Mind you, still be careful, I'd avoid fire or the like. It won't hurt the cube, but the room is still destructible and I don't want to have to explain how the table was set on fire...”

After waiting a chime or so for the two to try magic on the cube, Clyde would proceed.

“The cube is a creation of mine I call stealth glyphing. It is untouched and untouchable by magic. The wards are designed to shape any magic cast on it around it, it being the cube. Another djed storm like we saw years back could come through this room right now, and it'd be as unfazed as a mountain by a gentle breeze. By itself its not too useful besides as a curiosity, but on the right scale or used correctly... Well it'd only be limited by ones imagination.”

Pausing, more for theatricality and presentation, Clyde gestured at the other item.

“The shackles are likewise Anti-magic, but in a different format. When worn they... To avoid getting overly technical they open a tap in ones djed to stop you from being able to use magic. More practical and usable in their current format, their more of a test work than a prototype like the cube.”

“And what of you my lady, or your friend? I'm sorry, I don't have your name. I see your a Reimancer. What else do you do?”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Prophet on April 18th, 2018, 1:07 am

Aemeli had the gift of Rhysol’s wandering orbs- eyes of pure white that hinted at nothing and everything all at once. She watched the warrior, his hungry eyes and devilish grin dripped for her like a wolf who stalked a wounded animal. This was useful information and best if held at arm’s reach for the time being. When she addressed the organizer of the event, the disappointment flushed the man previously in her gaze -it was a beautiful sadness in this kind of disappointment and she soaked it up like a sponge.

Next was the small woman who tried to hide. A quick glance through auristics had revealed moderate skill in the arts but nothing like the men on either side of her. Aemeli couldn’t help but linger over the tiny frame with strong muscles and rough hands, however… she wondered what sort of work the girl did and if those lithe fingers could figure out the knots in her leg muscles. The sweet delight at such a thought passed the Druvin’s face while her body was pointed directly at Alija. The entire exchange was very brief but powerful for the priestess who would not likely forget anytime soon- the woman a knack for remembering.

Clyde had gone into a set of ramblings. Aemeli didn’t care. Her assistant listened and made note of such things. Should she enter into a realm of bad decisions, he would stop her. Batoli was a guardrail for his mistress but he was no longer interesting in bed hence why he trailed so far behind. Alabaster eyes focused on the cube and then the shackles..NOW she was paying attention.

Aemeli waved her hand at Clyde not caring if he was finished or not. “Yea, yea, yea, Clyde. You and that one..” She pointed at Elias. “Put them on...be chain buddies.” Her face danced in the lighting for the event with a devious smile that was both disarming and inviting. “If you do, I’ll chain myself to her.” Her face pointed at Alija for a moment but there was a seriousness there. After hanging onto the gaze a tick too long, she turned back to the men. “Well, boys… you going to play my game or do I have to rip your limbs off and beat you with them?”

Template Courtesy of Wymez
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Zavya on February 7th, 2019, 3:08 am

Grades!

Clyde
Skills Earned:
  • Philosophy +1
Lores:
  • Alija: Aurist
  • Djed Shackles: Stop the wearer from using magic
  • Elias: Alija's cousin
  • Self: Mage for nearly twenty years

Elias
Skills Earned:
  • Auristics +1
  • Philosophy +1
  • Rhetoric +1
  • Socialization +3
Lores:
  • Clyde: Used to live on Sahova
  • Magic: Shouldn't be contained or confined, but instead unleashed and relished

Comments: I'm very upset this thread ended on such a cliffhanger. D:

Alija
Lores:
  • Cha: Clyde's magical staff
  • Clyde: Mage in the Ebonstryfe
  • Sahova: Full of magic

Andral
Skills Earned:
  • Observation +1
Lores:
  • Self: Recluse

Maya
Comments: If you come back and update your ledger/skills, PM me and I'll happily give you a grade!

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me!
Zavya
Hear me roar

Words: 151900
Joined roleplay: October 15th, 2018, 9:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Previous