[Featured thread] [Pigsfoot Tavern] Kaleidoscope (Kreig/Kynier)

Three K's collide and create a swirl of color in an otherwise drab world.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Pigsfoot Tavern] Kaleidoscope (Kreig/Kynier)

Postby Kelski on June 15th, 2018, 3:23 am

Timestamp: 35th of Summer 518 A.V.

Kelski slipped into Merv's place, her sharp eagle eyes scanning the tavern as she crossed past the bar and into the space that held tables, some occupied both densely and sparsely. Her world was lonely, one devoid of company as the past few ten days or so she'd been hunched over her workbench, the commissions piling up and her time to do them growing short. She had twenty days, so she had been working day and night to get the orders filled. They were steadily coming in, piling up, but she'd gotten some done steadily too. And today she'd worked until her eyes had crossed then she'd set her things aside, locked up the workshop for the rest of the day, and left the showroom in very capable hands.

She'd set off for The Pigsfoot, needing to rest her eyes, her overworked fingers, and to relax her brain. A good meal, a nice glass of wine or mug of ale, and perhaps some company she knew might do the trick.

Kelski also scanned for enemies.

But the place looked relatively uncrowded, the lunch rush having left and it being too early for dinner. Walking deeper into the Pigsfoot, Kelski wove between tables as if she were a waitress, and caught sight of a familiar form.

Kreig. He was drinking alone and looking like he was people watching while doing so. The man was strength incarnate though he held a deep seed of kindness buried in his battle-worn form. Kelski had liked him the first time she met him and knew he would be the perfect companion to spend a little unwind time with. In fact, she was fairly sure that's what he was doing himself. Between fights? Between training? The Kelvic didn't know for certain as she paused at his table, pushed the unruly mass of hair out of her face, and met his gaze.

She wore no collar. In fact, she was dressed completely differently than when Kreig had seen her last. Gone were the borrowed oversized boys clothes and rolled up sleeves and hems. In their place was a pair of cotton pants that hugged her form and tucked into well worn comfortable boots. She had a pale tank top covering her torso, leaving her arms neck and most of her shoulders bare. A necklace of a dark crescent moon swung from her neck and broke up the pale line of her shirt.

Offering him a smile, Kelski gestured at an empty chair. "I'd very much like to join you if you wouldn't mind. I just came in to grab a bite to eat, get away from my jewelry bench for a while, and rest my eyes by doing some people watching. It would be even better done with good company." She said politely.

There was a risk Kreig wouldn't want her to join him. She was an ex-slave after all, and used to be the property of Sun's Birth. The Kelvic hoped he would look straight past all that and ask her to join him. If he could not, she would understand and seek a seat elsewhere, though with deep regret.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on June 16th, 2018, 3:31 am

Sometimes one simply needed to kick back and relax from their work, especially when one’s work involved being both on the giving and receiving end of an arse kicking. As such it stood that one needed to kick backand relax often and while Kreig enjoyed his work, even he had his limits of the parade of fights he threw himself into in both the sake of earning a living and the sake of testing his mettle.

And of course, his mettle was tested quite frequently if the amount of bruises and seemingly slight seemed to show. Having taken over a table in the corner with his back against the wall, Kreig made sure none tried to take advantage of it. He’d have been more convincing of his efforts to be a more aware individual if he hadn’t had a mug of ale in hand and looking slightly like he was in a daydream.

That’s not to say Kreig wasn’t aware of people’s coming and goings, it just meant he wasn’t quite as… analytic was the word perhaps? Not noting the way they move, their facial expressions, or even the tone of their voice if they happened to speak. He’d note the state of their wear but with nothing to look for it all just looked the same to him in his state of apathy.

His eyes widened however, when he caught one familiar figure however. One figure he’d not seen in recent days he had to admit, he felt a little guilty about that. She weaved past and around the mass of people and tables with a certain ease that indicated familiarity.

His brow quirked as if wondering if it was with the crowds or this place itself?

He sipped his ale, looking into it before looking back up as the form loomed closer. She looked different Kreig noted, and not in a bad way as his eyes widened and the corner of his lips quirked upwards. Unlike the unfit garb she had the times he saw her, she was wearing what could be considered proper attire.

To her words he spread an arm at the empty chair and chuckled “Well until good company arrives yer free to share my table, lass” He said deprecatingly, as if he’d turn her away especially with his curiosity piqued. He felt like a bear being offered the secret to honey, he just had to get an answer for a question or two.

And poking Kelski with a couple of question of why she looked like a free bird seemed to be ontop of that, along with a reason to celebrate.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kynier on June 16th, 2018, 10:10 pm

“That is not how this works,” he said arguably to the whore. “I give you the coin after you’ve told me what you know.” She rolled her eyes and began to walk out of the alley in Baroque Bay. Kynier stepped in her way before she could do that. The whore only came up to Kynier’s shoulder and wore clothes that left very little to the imagination. The skin around her eyes and cheeks had been painted in a way that highlighted her natural features.

“That maybe how you’ve worked with others who’ve got one foot down the mine shaft, but that’s not how it works with me.” Kynier’s frustration was rapidly reaching its limit. For over half a season he’d been asking around and listening for a location on a Daggerhand information collector by the name of Merv. Earlier today he had been referred to this woman who allegedly knew the answer to his question. And this is where he must meet the most resistance of course. “Besides, what you’re offering isn’t the same as what I’d get for my work. And at least I’d get a decent petching for it.” The whore forcefully brushed past him. That was it.

Kynier reached out and grabbed the long golden hair on the back of her head. She yelped as he yanked her back into the ally, nearly pulling her off her feet. Kynier drew his short sword as he forced her into the wall, face first. Setting the tip under her jaw and against the neck he pressed in real close. The stubbornness in her eyes were gone, replaced with dread. Kynier could see how many men would consider her attractive, but her figure of a smaller bust and larger rump had no appeal to him. In this place this woman had probably found herself in this very position on many occasions. Only this time it wasn’t what her body had that led her here.

“Now,” he said in a snarling whisper, “you’re going to tell me where I can find Merv.” Once she discovered what it was that Kynier wouldn’t do, the tenacity returned to the eye he could see.

“Kill me, and you still won’t know where to find him.” There was truth to what she said. Though that was something Kynier had discovered about the citizens of this city. They always assumed death. Before he could respond he heard a woman’s call from further down the alley. A pair of whores were approaching quickly, daggers in hand. Sailors had a tendency to be brutish to the fairer sex after long bouts to sea. The women here banned together for their own safety. Smart, though inconvenient at the moment.

“Come any closer and I’ll decorate the alley with her blood!” At that the whores stopped. Helpless frustration apparent in their expressions. As they called out threats that he ignored Kynier set his lips next to the woman’s ear to whisper. He allowed his anger to bubble through his voice as he spoke. “Consider this then. If you don’t tell me I won’t kill you. I’ll just cut your face until your looks are subpar. The value you have in your profession will be debased so much that you’ll resort to whoring in the Slums. And after that, I’ll kill these two. The sight of you will pit them in a rage, making it easier to dispatch them.” The whore began to shudder. Their little collective provided them more than safety. Kynier set the tip of his blade against the painted skin just below her eye. A tear fell down her cheek as she took a trembling breath.

“Please. Please. Please. Please,” she begged. “Merv runs a tavern. The Pig’s Foot. Just off the Mudway in the Commons.” Finally.

“Next time I come with a question, you will answer it and be paid.” Kynier pulled on her hair in a way to make the whore fall on her lush posterior. The other two approached as Kynier sheathed his weapon and turned away. Now he had the information that he had been looking for. With it he could start discovering things about the Daggerhand that they may not like.

Walking out of the alley he checked over his shoulder to make sure no one was following him. The midday crowds were returning from their lunch to the docks. Kynier was feeling a little hungry himself and now knew of a tavern worth trying.
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Kelski on June 17th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Kelski grinned quietly and abruptly at Kreigs response as she slipped into a chair across from him. She knew he had picked the strategic position, viewing the whole of the Inn before him, and would see any trouble heading their way. So Kelski had no problem putting her back to the main room to face him. She looked him over carefully, noting current wounds and bruising, but it wasn’t alarming to her because she knew he was a fighter for a living and that was part and parcel of his life.

She was glad, however, that both her black eyes and broken nose were fully healed. Kreig would have not been happy seeing it and Kelski would have been even more unhappy trying to explain them to the fighter. She knew how he felt about Darvin, though he’d shown excellent control the last time Kelski had been with both of the men in the same room.

The Kelvic reached out and touched the back of his hand, gently, giving it a squeeze a moment. “I never forgot your lesson. It served me well among the Sun’s Birth. In many ways I survived because of it.” She said softly, her eyes flashing gratitude for a moment before she turned to the server that walked up and carefully ordered a meal for herself and a glass of wine. She glanced at Kreig and the server took his order as well. She didn’t mention it again, didn’t dwell on the help he’d offered. Instead, she had let him know that it meant something to her, that it helped, and she moved on.

Kelski approached her next comments carefully. She didn’t want to drive the conversation, but she didn’t want awkward silences between them. The Kelvic steered the conversation in such a such a way as Kreig could insert questions at any moment or change the subject if he wanted too. She wasn’t hurried in what she said, but she volunteered more than he might have expected.

“My old master that I was apprenticed under in Lhavit before I was captured somehow found out where I was. He sent coin to buy my freedom via the Svefra. And about the same time Jaren so enraged his father, the Warmarshal, that his father stripped him of all his possessions to teach him a lesson. So, I ended up on the street. I talked to Goldfinger and took out a loan. I purchased the building to the north of Tall Johnny’s, out on the point where the river meets the sea. I’ve turned it into my own shop called The Midnight Gem. I opened five days ago. It’s doing a lovely business that’s going to allow me to pay the loan off in half the time if the business keeps coming in.” She said softly, her eyes shining.

“I… wanted to reconnect with you. I…know very few people here in the city that aren’t affiliated with the gangs. I think… “ Here she struggled. Kelski didn’t know how to tell him she thought they should all stick together, unite, share information, and work towards a better Sunberth. Was there a tasteful way to say that? She started again. “I think… that it would be a benefit for us to keep in touch, share information, and work towards… making this city better.” The problem was really what his definition of ‘better’ was.

“By better I mean…. There are so many things going on here. Things that ….” She was struggling again, and a frown crossed her face as she met his gaze. “I want to quietly work against slavery, poverty…. the things here that make this city so dangerous.” She said the last sentence softly, so quietly, that he might not be able to fully hear her.

Kelski knew she was taking a risk telling him this. But she trusted him. She’d trusted him after being in his presence the first five chimes after they had met. “That might mean defying some of the rising powers here… especially the Vino.” She added, folding her hands together, and then glancing to her right as the server carried a tray full of their orders over to them.

A bowl of thick stew was placed in front of Kelski, fresh bread, and wine. Kreigs order would be delivered as well. Kelski thanked the server politely and went back to watching for Kreig’s reaction.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on June 17th, 2018, 2:58 pm

She looked better than Kreig rightly expected. There seemed to be no sign of abuse, at least nothing of the physical sort. He couldn’t really hide his concern this time, not like when he could have feigned as a teacher examining a student. Here it was a friend looking over a friend and with alcohol in his system his inhibitions weren’t steeled enough to effectively feign anything if he didn’t intend to.

Instead he smiled and nodded, only stiffening lightly when she placed her hand on his. ‘ don’t wince, don’t wince, don’t wince’ He didn’t want to disturb his good mood, but there was a bruising in his knuckles and he’d no need to explain why. Instead, being the manly sort that he was, he ignored the pain in favor of surprise and a hint of embarrassed warmth from her words.

His eyes widening only to then hold a look of relief as the corner of his lips drooped into a more softer smile “ I’d be a terrible teacher if I didn’t arm you with a way to survive, I’m only glad it helped and that I conveyed it effectively.

Looking over how clean she looked and her clothes, he couldn’t help but ask “I can only assume good things have happened though, I’m reckonin’ you no longer have collar upon your neck?”

A confirmation came with her next words. It seemed the God of Luck smiled upon her. Not only did her old master baught her freedom but the brat of a Sun’s Birth commander got some parental punishment? The former in itself was something to inspire hope in people’s hearts, but the latter was something to laugh and buy a round about… not that he wanted to, at least not until he can fake up an excuse.

And she opened up a business? Not far from his place of work no less! It would give him an excuse to poke his nose into her business and not always limit himself to the so few places he sequestered himself into the city. It was her next words that elicited deep quiet in him however. He was all for keeping in touch, he’d had few friends to begin with.

But what she proposed, it was dangerous. The upset the natural order sort of dangerous even if it were ‘quiet’. His left beneath the table tapped against his thigh, thoughts running through his head while his ears listened. Defying ‘some’ was an understatement; it was all if not most of them. Slavery and poverty has been around for centuries and the gangs capitalized on that for just as long.

He drew in a breath, he wasn’t familiar with the Vino. Perhaps he’d heard their name thrown about but other than being another gang he held no knowledge of them. He didn’t look at the server as he concentrated his thoughts, even as Kreig’s meal of meat with another mug of ale was placed before him.

Once the server was out of earshot, and his eyes glancing about to their surroundings to see that none was near, he spoke “What you ask is no easy things. I assume you know this” He leaned back, eyes looking at the roof and drawing in a breath “Its not gonna be one set of toes we’ll setting on, not just a dozen. Perhaps a whole lot more”

He dropped his head down to look at her sharply “In essence, you’re proposing a change that could take more than just your regained freedom… but mine and whoever we could get to support our endeavors” That was a simple fact, if they were to do this than it affected more than just the two, but whatever help they could get.

“And these Vinos…I know nothing of them, but rest assured. If we take them out and if they’re big enough an example to name drop, whatever associates they have will not be so quiet to not interfer” He lifted up his new mug of ale and examined its contents before taking a swig, letting the liquid seep down his throat before placing it back onto the table “… What I’m saying is, ya sure want to go through such a bloody endeavor?”

His gaze sharply fell upon her eyes, she would have his help regardless… but her response would tell him if their chances of success had any grounds to begin with. Yahal be willing, he sure hoped it did.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kynier on June 17th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Kynier stood outside The Pig’s Foot, examining the establishment. The building itself looked older, and haggard with many bricks and stones resting out of alignment with their kin. For being the most popular tavern in the city he had expected it to have been better kept. Kynier had never been inside before, preferring No Man’s Land’s proximity to home. Now he planned on becoming more of a regular if what he had been told was true. Now it was time to distinguish the truth for himself.

Stepping through the door he saw a layout fairly standard for taverns. A little past midday the lunch rush had already gone through, leaving behind few patrons to care for. An older man with a thick mane of hair that wrapped around his jaw stood behind the main counter. Merv, he presumed. Kynier strolled over to a table near the corner. The most ideal table for the tavern’s layout was already occupied by a man and a woman. Kynier noted how the man had peeked up at him when he entered the tavern, but quickly dismissed him for the conversation he was already in.

Taking a seat he gazed around at the other patrons. At another table sat a trio of men that looked to have been deep in their cups. And pair of women sat gossiping not far from Kynier. They were the only eight in the tavern. Kynier leaned back in his chair as he waited for the server to come. Once they delivered food to the man and woman in the other corner they approached him.

“A meat roast and water,” he requested. The server gave him a strange look when he didn’t ask for wine, mead, or beer. As the server walked away Kynier’s gaze fell on the back of the woman that sat at the ideal table. She had long dark hair that appeared to fade towards the tips. Kynier arched an eyebrow. Kelski?

The longer he watched the way she moved the more he was confident that it was her. Kynier would’ve gotten up to say hello, but the conversation she was engaged in appeared… intense. The man sitting across from her appeared to be brute. Though he was long limbed he was thick with muscle, and Kynier could just make out the faded marks of brawling injuries on the man’s face. They were huddled close as though they didn’t want to be overheard. Despite the pleasure he would have from seeing her again, he chose not to interrupt whatever it was she and the man were talking about.

Turning his head away Kynier watched the man he suspected to be Merv out of the corner of his eye. With how quiet the tavern was he wouldn’t need to keep active watch on the door. Occasionally he would glance back over at Kelski. Wondering how she faired and if she was happy.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on June 17th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Kelski watched Kreig trying to mask her anxiety. He’d either react well to her words or he would get angry. At least, that’s what she assumed. The fighter kept making her nervous because his eyes kept scanning her form as if he were looking for injury. He wouldn’t find anything. She was thirty five days away from Darvin and no one had laid a hand on her in anger since. It did wonders for a body that was well fed in regards to healing. Her two broken ribs were even well on the mend, barely bothering her as long as she moved carefully and kept them wrapped.

She glanced at his knuckles where she’d touched his hand and snatched her hand away with an apologetic look. Kelski hadn’t expected the broken skin over the already existing scars. She whispered “I’m sorry… I didn’t see that you’d recently had a fight.” She said gently, wrapping her hand firmly around her wineglass and keeping it busy that way.

His words brought a smile to her face. “And you aren’t a terrible teacher, are you?” She said in praise, knowing it was the truth. Kreig had given her a very good lesson, mostly on brawling and distraction. She knew, because of him, how to use almost anything in a life and death fight… things were not things, but weapons.

Kelski knew she offloaded a lot on him and waited quietly for his reaction. He was slow to respond, thoughtful, and she appreciated that about him. At his words, she nodded, knowing full well once opened, some boxes that contained trouble could never be closed. She nodded again at his next words, careful not to answer them before Kreig had completely said his piece.

At Kreigs question, Kelski looked thoughtful. She knew what he was saying and how much trouble messing in a gang’s business could become. She didn’t know a lot of details about the Vino either, just that they existed. Mercurial eyes watched Kreigs for a moment, thoughtful, until a warming sensation flooded up her back and she caught a motion out of the corner of her eye.

Someone entered the Inn, which was sparsely populated, and took a seat. She took note out of the corner of her eye, but looked again a moment later when a familiar feeling of warmth crept up her spine. It was someone that moved with a familiar gait and settled were he could both see the door and the rest of the Inn. Kelski took a deep breath, let it out, then took another. Then slowly, she turned around, caught his gaze and beckoned him to join them.

“You should meet the man that just walked in.” She told Kreig without preamble. With a booted toe, she nudged out the chair that would put Kynier on the end of the table, his back to one of the walls where no one sat, and with a clear view of both Kreig and Kelski. That meant he could still watch the door and back without issue.

When Kynier joined them… Kelski continued after dispensing introductions. Under the table her hand would drift closer to his knee, touching it lightly, as if reassuring herself he was there.

“Krieg, this is my friend Kynier. Kynier this is Kreig… he is a fighter at Tall Johnnys and has given me lessons on surviving Sunberth.” Kelski said as a way to explain. She gave the men time to exchange niceties, then without preamble continued. Rather than telling Kreig how much she trusted Kynier, she simply showed him.

Lowering her voice, she continued with what she was saying. “When I was at Dagwood Metals last Winter, two men came in and introduced themselves as Rictor and Zsavin Vino. They called themselves The Vino. I got a good look at them and overheard what they were saying because Dadaelus went to help them and had to break off his metalsmithing lesson to do so. I pretended to be busy, but I heard everything. They claimed to be representatives of the newest slave organization in Sunberth. They bought a great many manacles and branding irons. In fact, they bought the Dagwoods out of their stock at the time. They flashed a lot of gold and that was a lot of money.” Kelski whispered.

“If they were new as of Winter, they can’t be too established yet. I thought… we should start by just gathering some information on them, see what they are up too, and see if we can’t identify their weaknesses. That doesn’t mean stupid action. That means just simply gathering information. What we do with it can be decided later.” Kelski said, testing the waters. She had no idea if either of the men were open to a slow quiet resistance to start brewing against some of the worst offenders in Sunberth, but she’d never know until she flat out asked.

This was her asking.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on June 18th, 2018, 4:24 pm

His own gaze was drawn to the stranger at the door, if only because he had the best view. No, his gaze lingered because whoever it was looked this away at both Kelski and he assumedly in that particular order. An eye glancing to Kel, it was hard not to notice the look of familiarity. It was someone she knew, and not unkindly it seemed. Her next words cinched and Kreig simply acquiesced with an alright, assuming they would finish the conversation later with a new one in its place.

As the man approached Kreig noted that he was taller than Kreig himself. He really should be accepting of this, not being short himself but when you meet so many tall people of the same species as yourself more than the average folk one tended to develop a self-conscious note of it. ‘ Was I drinking the wrong milk growing up? I reckon that has to be it else there’s some magic goin’ on’ Other than that Kreig got the impression that man didn’t look the type to relax, or if he did he might as well feel like he shouldn’t. In most places that would be considered paranoid, in Sunberth Kreig felt that was just being proper… course there was such a thing as too much and Kyn didn’t look to be ‘too much’.

He gave Kynier a small salute the introduction. Then sipped his ale when he realized that no, Kel was not quite delaying their former conversation and simply went on without a care. He supposed he had to hold this Kyn in some regard if she was talking such things with little fear in his presence, but goodness the Kelvic could do with a bit of tact on how she started these conversations. He glanced to Kyn searchingly and mostly out of amusement, wondering if he’d be thrown for a loop and would be requiring a drink.

Then he wondered if she actually spoke to the man of such things before and Kreig was simply the next on her list… if she has one. Kreig rubbedhis forehead, pushing aside his ale, then picked up his utenstils and cut a piece of meat that he slipped into his mouth, chewed and swallowed. These Vinos were slavers, successful ones at that if they’d spent a couple of seasons and earned enough currency to show for it “I suppose… if they’ve only been around since winter then their actual numbers might not be too large, but assuming they’ve done well for themselves which your implying Kel, that means what chain of command they’ve got ain’t incompetents” He leaned back and closes his eyes, thinking it a bit through “At least from this we know one of their strengths. An’ if they ain’t had much problems from other gangs they’re either smart or tough enough to pose a mighty risk”

It was barebones information, but he felt pretty sure of it “If they ain’t big, hittin’ the goons they got, even a couple, is a big collapse in the shaft by itself” He tapped the table with his index finger, looking back down to ‘em “ Course bein’ slavers, if someone hits their product, as in free ‘em, that could slow ‘em down a while” Hit their employees or hit their products, it would rile them. ‘Course if they go about it quietly it would be lengthy and the latter would draw their attention more than the latter.

After all, it wasn’t uncommon for a ganger to be shanked in Sunberth. But freeing slaves? A different matter entirely.

There were other ways they could go about it perhaps, but Kreig didn’t know them or was confident enough to throw them out. He then looked to Kynier “So what does your two copper mizas say ‘bout this whole thing, eh?”
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kynier on June 19th, 2018, 8:51 pm

It may have been inevitable, but Kelski had sensed him somehow. Most likely through the predator instincts she had. Despite his efforts to not appear too interested with her and her company she turned and caught his gaze. Kynier tried to smile more with his eyes than with his face in an effort of discretion. Discretion that was nullified when she beckoned him over. Only after a moment’s pause he stood up and crossed the distance to the other table. As Kynier stepped around the table behind the Kelvic, he allowed a few fingers to trace over her shoulder, trying to disguise it as part of his natural movement. As he sat down in the chair she made available he felt a gentle contact with the side of his knee under the table. With a shift of his leg his knee was closer to her reach. There he left it until whenever Kelski satisfied her need of physical contact.

As she introduced him to the other man, Kreig, Kynier nodded his head. The other man gave a small salute in acknowledgement. She mentioned how the prize fighter had taught her some useful survival tips for the city. Kynier did not comment on it as he tried to gage their level of familiarity. The was a slight awkwardness in the air, more from Kreig than Kelski, when he sat down. Whatever they had been talking about was something Kreig seemed to think had come to a conclusion. His expression as Kelski spoke confirmed Kynier’s suspicion.

Leaning in to hear, Kynier listened to the tale about Dagwood. And the Vino. Slavers. At that Kynier leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms as she made her proposition. He shared, though only a fraction, of her animosity towards slavers. This was a conversation he thought might occur, he just didn’t expect it this soon. Watching her after she finished, he said nothing. Slavery was something he wanted to abolish, though he had never openly said it to her. Though he had expressed his suspicion of his mother’s fate. When Kelski would turn to measure his reaction she would see the answer in his eyes. Yes. Giving her the smallest of nods he turned to Kreig for his reaction.

Kynier listened to the fighter’s observations on the conversation. The man was more perceptive than he initially would’ve given credit for. However, not once did he make an indication to being part of the fight or not. It sounded like he was sizing up his opponent to determine whether he’d fight, or fly. Unfortunately, neither Kelski nor Kreig seemed to know anything about the Vino beyond being slavers. Kynier’s knowledge wasn’t extensive, but he had crossed their path once. As Kreig asked about his insights the server had gone to the table he was sitting at before and looked around. Kynier waved them down. A plate of fresh warm pork roast was set down before him with a goblet of water. The aroma reignited the hunger he had come to ignore. Kynier spoke softly as he started cutting sections off from the roast.

“I cannot comment on their organization. But they have something more problematic. Fortification. The Vino have taken over The Quay. A ten foot stone wall cuts it off completely from the rest of the city, with only one gatehouse for entrance. They have access to some docks, but I’ve never seen a boat in their harbor.” Kynier took a bite of the meat. A bit dry, but well-seasoned. Swallowing, he cut off another section of pork as he spoke further. “I think Kreig has a point. But freeing slaves would be the wrong approach. Ambushes when they are trying to acquire more ‘product’ for sale.”

From what he’d seen of their set up any frontal assault would be suicidal. Their efforts would have to rely more on guile until the time was right. But they were only two, perhaps three, against perhaps a hundred. Something no sane person would gamble. To make matters worse, he didn’t trust Kreig. Kelski seemed to trust him. Because of that Kynier was willing to give the prize fighter a chance, but would wait and watch so that he could form his own opinion about him. Until he made a decision on how much he could rely on Kreig his real power would be kept secret. Which diminished the support that he could really provide to the effort.

“There are other powers besides djed. Those are what they will need from you,” the voice whispered to him.

Plans were already forming in his mind. Methods to observe, disrupt, and kill. “For every action we take, we will have to spend tenfold the amount of time in analysis. Otherwise, we’re rushing to a quick death.” Kynier took a swig of water and looked to Kelski. “We should first learn their methods of obtaining slaves. See how many hands they dedicate to that. Then judge if they’re vulnerable enough to be ambushed.” Kynier continued on his roast and listened to their responses.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on June 20th, 2018, 4:56 am

Kelski carefully watched Kreigs reaction to Kynier joining them. These two men were both strong, though in different ways. Kreig was tough, lithe, and not one that gave up easily. He made a living with his fists and stood behind his beliefs. Kynier was strong in a different way. He was willing to fight, tenacious, intellectual, and filled with a drive Kelski was only just starting to understand. Kreig knew more than he let on. Kelski was sure he’d thought about Sunberth a lot and wanted better for the city. She just had no idea if his version of ‘better’ was relatively close to her own vison of it.

At Kreig’s words, she nodded. “They did not seem like fools. They seemed dangerous, Kreig, and had coin. Their garments were rich and their eyes hard.” She replied, agreeing that the Vino’s weren’t incompetent. She watched him think things through and she liked that about Kreig. He wasn’t quick to act. He was thoughtful, methodical, and liked to chew on something a great deal before he decided to swallow.

She nodded at his other words, agreeing with him there. “That’s why we need far more information about them. I’m not saying action. I’m saying information, then we can just start to talk action.” She said softly, keeping her voice low and making sure they weren’t overheard.

Kynier joining them caused a change in Kelski that Kreig would note immediately, even though she didn’t pause in her speech or in listening to Kreig’s response. Her almost feral gaze softened from mercury to silver. They drifted half closed as Kynier’s fingers traced her shoulder and he’d settled into his seat. She gripped his knee and leaned in to listen to Kynier’s words at Kreig’s question.

This was not something she’d discussed with Kynier already. They’d had a lot to worry about prior to this unexpected meeting and they were just settling into a closer relationship, both with each other and Akajia. But she read his answer clearly in his eyes. Kynier was on board. It was such a strange feeling, having people in her life she could count on. It gave Kelski pause for a moment, as her eyes roamed the table and she thought a quiet thought at her Goddess of gratitude for these two friends.

Kelski knew nothing about intelligence, neither gathering it or processing it. She only knew there was a problem in Sunberth and she wanted to make a difference and not waste her freedom squandering it in selfish acts. Both men were eating, but Kelski had no appetite. She was used to existing on next to nothing and the abundance of food she had in her life now often surprised her. The Kelvic often had to remind herself to eat, and that was something she only did when hungry or preoccupied. Right now her mind was too busy observing the reactions of either man and filtering what they said.

Kynier surprisingly knew something of the Vino. Kreig had valuable insight too. Under the table, Kelski’s hand stroked Kynier’s knee possessively as she thought about what each man said. “Getting more information shouldn’t be hard. Walls are no object when something is open to the sky. I can get in there.” She said softly, almost quietly, as if this secretly both surprised and pleased her. She could too… nothing prevented her from taking her animal form at any time and using her wings. A slow smile drifted across her face at yet another fact of her freedom. It was delicious.

Her eyes drifted back to Kynier from where they stared off into space a moment. “I don’t know how to do this. I cannot do this alone. I’m more than willing to start quietly working to thwart some of the worst in Sunberth, but I don’t know where to start. The Vinos seemed a good place to me. But if this is not a good place to begin, I’m willing to look and help elsewhere. But some of us needed to start thinking this way. Alone, we won’t change anything. But if we band together and work quietly, cautiously, and smartly … there’s nothing stopping us for bringing about change. The question is… where do we start? The Quay? The Vino? Elsewhere? Or is this all a fools errand? I have a life now I don’t want to lose.”

Her gaze flicked to Kreig. “You have a good life. Kynier has a good life. None of this will mean anything if we loose them or our freedom.” She said softly. “But still… I think we should band together and talk… and start someplace, even if it is a small place.” She said gently, reaching out to touch her meal, but not eating it, just pushing it around her plate.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next