[Featured thread] [Pigsfoot Tavern] Kaleidoscope (Kreig/Kynier)

Three K's collide and create a swirl of color in an otherwise drab world.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Pigsfoot Tavern] Kaleidoscope (Kreig/Kynier)

Postby Kreig Messer on June 21st, 2018, 10:30 am

Fortification was something Kreig had honestly not considered for the moment, then again he knew nothing of their base so what was he to consider? Still it told him Kynier knew more than Kreig and Kelski did and he could appreciate that. Taking a slice of meat again he chewd on at as he listened and he found that Kynier’s words enforced his own thoughts, and indeed, the approach they’d have had to take from the beginning.

As Kelski had put it: Information, then action.

Lifting his ale and sipping it in contemplation, he noted how at ease Kel seemed to be Kynier. He couldn’t quite place what it was but there was trust involved and Kynier didn’t strike him as one who’d give his trust easy judging by his earlier attitude. He’d wondered if they’d even be talking now if Kelski hadn’t been the one here between them.

Kreig’s eyes furrowed at Kelski’ suggestion. He wasn’t quite how comfortable he’d be if she took such a risk, considering she had just regained her freedom not long ago. Oh he appreciated and was touched by the fact she would risk it to help others but… there was such a thing as moving too fast. Then she hit them with her impassioned speech, and Kreig couldn’t help but agree as his mind wandered to Tent City and its inhabitants.

Indeed, if the city was to change for the better then something had to start somewhere and by somebody. Could he do justice to himself and his faith if he sat there doing nothing? Could Kelski enjoy her new life and regained freedom in Sunberth if she did nothing? Could Kynier…. Well, Kreig knew nothing of Kynier but he was sure there was a ‘if he did nothing’ he could add somewhere!

He sighed a bit, shaking his mug and hearing its contents slosh before he downed the rest in one gulp before placing it back on the table “Well, I was on board from the start Kel. And I reckon these Vino folk are as good as any for a startin’ point” He then pointed his finger at her with a flat look on his face “However, I ain’t so sure ‘bout sending you there to spy on ‘em with your bird form. Mind, I ain’t saying the idea itself ain’t good but I don’t even know what kind of bird you are an’ that might cause a heap of shyke” If it were a common type of board native to Sunberth and the surrounding area, Kreig supposed that the risk would be low. But if it was something unusual? Heck, exotic animals would sell for a good price….

He looked to Kynier, wondering if the man would back up Kreig’s words, then turned back to Kel “If we’re gonna look on getting’ information out of ‘em, we should start by seein’ where its members go to unwind” He suggested, then thinking of something else “Also, we might want a few more people helpin’. Three is better’ than two an’ all but I don’t reckon we can do much to bring ‘em down with just us even if we are takin’ the long road”
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kynier on June 21st, 2018, 1:58 pm

It was a strange sensation, one he couldn’t quite tell if it was good or not. Sitting here, eating, and talking with people who were of like mind. But they were idealists who were unsure of how to approach the objective. Kynier wasn’t really any better than them in that regard. He had just been at it longer. And only recently had he begun to make any progress in his endeavors. Sipping on his water, Kynier decided it would be best to guide them on this. He wouldn’t become the authority and tell them the “what” but simply direct them on the “how”, so that they had the best chance of survival.

Kynier peripherally watched as someone entered the tavern and approach Merv. A woman of dark hair that Merv seemed to immediately engage with. Noticing Kelski turning to his direction, Kynier broke his attention away to towards the Kelvic. As she spoke her uncertainties he discreetly slipped a hand under the table. Tracing his own leg down until his hand intercepted hers. Kynier wrapped her fingers in his and squeezed encouragingly. She was right. They didn’t have to start with any of the gangs, but it was just inevitable. At some point their philanthropic activities would interfere with someone. Giving her hand a last squeeze of affection he brought it back to the table’s surface to cut more into his food.

“No, we don’t need to immediately entangle ourselves with any of them. However, any other approach requires a profession we most likely don’t have, and funding. Until we have a stronger foundation to work on, I suggest we focus on acquiring more information on the Vino.” As he took a bite Kynier turned to Kreig to hear his thoughts. The man did not give any sort of elaboration, but seemed to be in agreement with him on the Vino. When he voiced his concern about Kelski shifting to her eagle form Kynier nearly smirked in amusement. Like trying to tell a bird not to fly. Then the fighter turned to him as though he needed some sort of support.

Though he wasn’t done chewing he force the meat down his throat so he could respond to Kreig’s unspoken request of assistance. “She won’t bare all the risk.” Kynier turned his eyes to her, “The Vino do keep a watchful eye of the Quay. They may notice the same eagle watching them. So we should use that advantage carefully. Besides,” he leaned back in his chair a little as he took another drink from his goblet, “I already know a weak point to their wall.” Kynier looked to Kreig, hoping that the man found that reassuring.

It was then he realized he would have to make an effort to know this man before him. All he had were speculations, some of which had already been proven wrong. What were in Kreig’s skill set? If Kynier didn’t know he couldn’t plan appropriately. From the corner of his eye he noted that Kelski wasn’t eating her food. He found that unsettling and arched an eyebrow at her questioningly. For a long time she had been hungry. Hungry enough to hunt rats. Kynier had seen it even. Though she had returned to a healthy weight he felt concerned.

Glancing back to the counter Kynier saw the dark haired woman leave the tavern. She had left Merv standing there with his brow furrowed. The way the man shifted his weight Kynier guessed that she had unsettled him somehow with her words. Was she an informant, or the next step? After finishing his goblet he beckoned the server over for a refill. He thought on Kreig’s words about Vino member’s leisure activities. It was a good insight. Learning that could lead them to secrets they could use to their advantage, the way Akajia would want them to. Even that required them to begin at the same place, watching the Quay. At some point he should take Kelski there to watch with him. That way he can help her understand subtle things to observe that would be critical to know, for when she acted alone. Kynier wasn’t so sure if Kreig would be up for it.

“So tell me Kreig, what is there to you besides being a prize fighter? I’ve never been to Tall Johnny’s though I hear it is a fantastic display of brutality. Though I hope that isn’t the only thing in your skillset.” There was a bit of challenge to his last remark. An experience fighter would be invaluable in their efforts, however, Kynier wanted to know if he and Kelski would be burdening most of the risk if they followed through on their words. “I know my reasons, and Kelski’s, for entering this. Though I’m glad that you’re willing to assist, I can’t help but wonder why.”
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Kelski on June 23rd, 2018, 2:10 am

There was a lot to think about. Kelski didn’t know if she was doing the right thing talking to these two. She might be better off working alone, scouting, gathering information, and maybe just maybe bouncing these ideas off Aer'wyn.

She didn’t want to involve the Akalak though, at least not yet, because she was too busy enjoying having him and Ebon around. Ebon definitely didn’t need to be involved. He was her secret rescue project, and something that scratched the altruistic itch she seemingly developed upon her freedom. She wanted to do more, that much was true, and talking with these two about what she really wanted to do would help. But she would protect her new home and her new family fiercely. Honestly, without those two, Kelski’s life would be a very lonely one, far more lonely than it had been wearing the collar and being owned by The Sun’s Birth. So this meeting was just dipping a toe into unknown waters to see if she really wanted to take a swim.

She appreciated how much Kreig thought things through. For a fighter, he lived heavily in his head, more so than most she’d ever encountered. It wasn’t an easy ability, slipping ones awareness into ones body to fight, and yet moving it back into ones head to think. Usually the kind that were quick with their fists lived only in their body and not in the head. And it was often hard for intellects to slip out of their head and move into their bodies to train them.

The Kelvic was a keen observer. She noted every reaction on Kreig’s face, trying to pair it with a potential thought or emotion. She wasn’t good at reading people, but then and there she decided it was something she’d learn. Kelski would have to, in order to deal with her customers and clients better.

She pushed more food around her plate. The Kelvic decidedly wondered if she was going to grow fat with all the abundance since her freedom. Day in and day out she’d starved under The Sun’s Birth but she’d been free thirty five days today and she’d never ate better in her life. She should clean her plate, the Eagle decided, but pushed food around anyhow. Somewhere, in those thirty five days, she’d gotten full and had started to appreciate better food. Fresh. Raw. Wholesome. This slop wasn’t really up to par to her tastes. Even the meat smelled dubious. What was it anyhow? She wondered if it was human.

Kreig surprised her by suddenly announcing he was on board.

She blinked at him when he said he didn’t know what kind of bird she was. She glanced down at her human skin. To her it was so obvious what she was, but she realized neither Kreig nor Kynier had ever seen her shift. “My kind are about. I’ve seen a few fishing in the bay and in the surf. I’m a sea eagle…. a big one. The kind that are so silver we look white and fade to grey and black.” She said, tilting her head and trilling as if amused by the fact they really didn’t know. “We love fish, small mammals and birds, carrion, crabs, molluscs, sea snakes, crabs, tortoises…. even rats. Hunting over their territory wouldn’t be unheard of or unusual. And The Quay is as coastal as it gets with plenty of all that in large numbers.” She added, almost proudly, which was a change because all her life she’d been ashamed of what she was… ashamed that her mother had sold her as an infant because her blue eyes at birth had faded to silver.

Kelski let the conversations move on, paying careful attention to Kreig’s ideas. So they needed to follow their members and see where they relaxed. That was a good idea, one Kelski hadn’t thought of. She knew so little about how to gather information. Just these kernels of insight would help her if she decided to go it alone.

More people? Kelski had no idea how to get more people involved. She didn’t want to risk her new family. Those two were precious to her and Ebon was still recovering from his injuries and the death of his bondmate. He was too vulnerable to craziness, and absolutely more suited to be a healer than a fighter. The Akalak was more than a likely person to get involved, but unfortunately his blue skin and build made him notable rather than inconspicuous.

Kynier had more ideas as well.

When Krieg was done speaking, she turned to him, wondering what he had to add to the conversation. Kelski immediately noted that Kynier’s full attention wasn’t on the conversation but was focused away at Merv and his doings. Kelski wondered then what it was Kynier actually did for a living. They’d never spoke of it and she’d never pressed him for something he had never volunteered. Kelski understood about keeping secrets as no one but a Nightstalker could. So she hadn’t pressed him. However, Kelski’s observation was keen and he almost seemed to be working.

She filed that information into the back of her mind to ponder on later. Kelski wondered if he had caught her looking as he took her hand, gently squeezed, and released it. He didn’t think she was afraid, did he? She wasn't. Just concerned.

The Eagle glanced away, ran her eyes across Kreigs face again, then scanned the Inn.

Kynier’s voice brought her attention back to her table and the conversation at hand. She listened, not interrupting, judging both her own reaction and Kreigs. Funding wouldn’t be a problem as long as she was patient. The Kelvic would work hard at her shop and once she’d paid Goldfinger back, coin wouldn’t ever be a problem again. She already had a healer and a mercenary on her payroll, two people she judged to be good folk, there would be room for more soon. But she held her tongue about the coin. It didn't need saying until it was in her possession.

Her ears perked up at the hint of a weak spot in their wall. What did that mean? Was it a literal weak spot or was like the saying humans used to state someone had a chink in their armor? Kelski pushed more food around on her plate, slightly grossed out by the fact that the cooling meat and vegetables had started to have grease congeal around the edges. It just wasn't fresh.

The Sea Eagle noted Kynier’s attention shift again. Interesting. Why was he watching the woman and Merv? Her attention focused discretely on Merv for a moment and ran through all the things she knew about him. It was quite a bit since Darvin had brought her here often and had enjoyed many lengthy conversations with the owner. She gave a mental shrug. It wasn't important, at least not right now.

Her attention snapped back to Kynier when he started questioning Kreig. She schooled her face into a quiet reserve to cover her displeasure. For some reason it ruffled her feathers that Kynier questioned Kreig. Kelski knew Kreig was a good man. He hadn’t come to her with this … she’d come to him and had taken advantage of him letting her sit with him to begin this discussion. Kynier might not know that though. He’d entered the Pigsfoot after Kelski had imposed on Kreig.

Putting her utensil down, Kelski freed her hand from Kynier’s knee and picked up her wine to drink. She actually loved the stuff, finding most of the water in the city fetid and bad smelling. Her own well was a godsend, with the water fresh and cold from its pump head. “I brought Kreig into this and imposed myself on him to talk about this. This was none of this his idea.” She said firmly, knowing she’d probably broadsided Kreig with the talk of The Vino.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on June 23rd, 2018, 5:16 am

So, Kelski’s other form was a petching big bird common enough to not be immediately suspicious and was probably responsible for Sunberth’s decrease in a portion of its rat population? At least that’s what Kreig understood and decided to imprint upon his own mind… It brought him a degree of comfort to know some portion of risk was alleviated especially if there was a sort of perch for her to observe from. Mind, he was a believer in risk; he supposed he just preferred to be the one doing it.

Onto other matters, like Kelski he hadn’t failed to notic when the fellow’s attention darted to Merv’s direction and the woman he was speaking too. He chose not to remark, but he gazed back and forth enough it generated a bit of curiousity. Thankfully he’d not needed to turn his own head to note this, benefit of being in a literal corner was the he need only move his eyes about to even glance something in his peripheral so he needn’t be obvious in his own observations.

He’d also noted Kel’sown shifting her food, touching the contents of her plate but not actually eating. He didn’t think much of it, at least not enough to be concerned. He stared a bit, finger tapping on the table. Compared to how she was back then, he supposed he was a bit surprised shewasn’t devouring her plate clean… but considering how good she looked, perhaps she’d simply had her fill or the discussion wasn’t encouraging her appetite?

His bottom lip climbed lightly over the other and a bit of breath huffed upwards from him. Kyn questioned his use and if Kreig was honest… he had a right to be. Thing was Kreig wasn’t the sneaky sort… his face was becoming known as well, unless he wanted to use his fame for some things that bordered on moral dubiousness, he wasn’t going to be much use other than a fight.

He smiled a bit at Kel, but raised his hand lightly in a calm down gesture “Hey hey, its no problem Kel. Thing is I might not be all that useful in getting’ lot of them info we’d be needing” He admitted casually with a shrug of his shoulders “Oh I could be hangin’ out in bars an’ what not, chat up folk or be listenin’ on talk. Probably get a feller drunk to get more out of ‘em” He then spread his arms lightly “But that’s about it what I can do on that there front. An’ I ain’t an unknown face, folks are slowly knowin’ who I am so that there might be all I can do other than fightin' ”

He leaned back, closed his eyes, sighed and then rolled his neck a bit letting out a few cracks before looking forward at them both “But… well, that bit about fundin’. I reckon do some alleviatin’ on that there front” He grinned “Don’t do much spendin’, ya know? An’ Johnny pays me right enough I could live years on what I earned last season alone an' at least a few other folk with me. An’ who knows… if I’m right famous enough I might be useful in other ways”

And since none tossed out the ideas of recruitin’, he supposed he could do his own work on that front.

“As for why I’m willin’ for this” He gave Kynier a hard look then softened “I’m a goddamn Son of Sunbirth. What kind of son wouldn’t want ta make everythin’ better for his siblings?” He leaned back, eyes dartin’ to the other patrons “Mos’ of ‘em spend their freedom jus’ scrapin’ by, some lose it an’ others jus’ stand by and watch. Others make sure other’s stay enslaved jus’ so they can be free… an’ of course… there’s folks who’d just wan’ us to stay that way”

He took in a deep breath, feeling the ened for another drink as she scratched the side of his head “Ya know, it’s been centuries since the world was shyked. Other places are pullin’ themselves out of the shyke pit, but here its feelin’ like time ain’t movin’ forward… an’ if it does only nastier shyke comes in. I reckon it’s time to change that, an’ if Sunberth is kickin’ an’ screamin’ all the way…..” He shrugged, stared both Kel and Kynier in the eyes with a grim determination.

“Well, least it will be breathin’ “

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kynier on June 23rd, 2018, 8:06 pm

It was a question that needed to be asked. Kynier, and even Kreig, seemed to understand that. Suspicion was a natural human quality. But Kelski wasn’t human and Kynier was slowly discovering the nuances that made the difference between human and kelvic behavior. Though she tried to disguise it he could tell by her body language the question had somehow bothered her. The way she retracted her hand from him and set down the utensils. Like a human would, she took a drink of wine before expressing herself. Though she did not talk loudly her tone had a stiffness to it. The sort reserved for an argument. When she was done Kynier didn’t challenge it or respond. As Kreig responded Kynier kept his eye on her.

His brow was tilted down slightly, partially concealing his eyes. They were unapologetic. No matter how well he understood the offense she had taken he couldn’t bring himself to sympathize. For her this was approaching two people she knew and trusted, to an extent, to form a secret. For him…

Kynier turned to Kreig when he mentioned the issue of funding. It was pleasantly surprising to hear that the man had what seemed to be a small fortune at his disposal. To the eyes of a Sun Birth maybe not so much of a fortune, bet enough for the regular people. That told him a few things. Kreig lived simply, and he was a good fighter. And he was right about the uses of fame. Kreig could work openly towards their objectives while they did their business in the shadows. True change wouldn’t stick unless it happened in the public view as well as in the underworld.

The optimism that was developing was quickly squelched. The fighter was a child of Sunberth looking to better the lives of his fellows. Most would find that inspiring enough to buy the man a drink. Kynier only wanted to put more distance between them physically. He nodded lightly as the fighter spoke while disguising his real feelings. If there was ever a point Kynier could trust Kreig, truly trust him, it would only ever be after a long road. The type that most people only share with one or two others. Kreig could never realize how precarious the alliance the three of them were forming truly was. In Kynier’s mind it would be best if Kelski performed all future interactions with this man.

“I have no problem with that,” he said after Kreig’s last remark. “The end goal will be to take down the figures that want to keep this place the way it is. If, along the way, we can recruit those that have stayed complacent and watched, all the better.” The door opened to the tavern again. Four figures entered the place, each heavily armed. Kynier’s eyes quickly scanned them and noticed a few Daggerhand tattoos upon their exposed limbs. Pressing the goblet to his lips he downed the rest of the water hastily. “Excuse me,” he said flatly to both of them as he stood from his seat. Kynier walked behind Kelski again, but this time with purpose, lacking any affectionate contact.

The Daggerhands crowded around Merv at the counter. Kynier took his place a few steps away and set his empty goblet down. To feign a search for service he looked from one side to the other for help from someone besides Merv. The thugs spoke softly, but not so much that Kynier couldn’t hear.

“What’ve you heard, Merv?” One said gruffly.
“Just what I said to your Big Sister just a few chimes ago, nothing.” Kynier leaned on the counter, deliberately keeping his gaze and face away from them. He had heard Daggerhands address each other in a sibling way. This was the first he heard of a “big” sibling.
“That’s not good enough Merv. Someone knows something. After nine days… there must be something.” The barkeeper was unfazed by the aggressive tone.
“If there is, it hasn’t been here yet. I’ll tell you what I told her. It was probably the Vigils that burned your brothers. They have a presence is the Stumble after all.”
“The Vigils have never burned anyone like that before.” Kynier smiled inwardly once he realized what they were talking about. At last a server approached him. Kynier held out the goblet and requested more water. Dutifully the server poured some from a keg and gave the goblet back. Kynier didn’t want to walk away just yet. Though he wasn’t all that thirsty he slowly gulped down the whole goblet at the counter in order to listen.
“If you don’t want to think that,” Merv said with an agitated tone, “Then perhaps you’ll consider that there maybe someone new out there. There’s always more trouble to be found.” Kynier set his goblet down again. The server gave him an indignant look.

“Another please, also a mug o’ ale.” The server snatched his goblet and filled his order.

“What did ya tell tha Viper, Merv?”
“If she wanted you to know, then I recon she’ll let you know.” The server came back with the beverages. Kynier’s inquisitive nature had been stoked and he didn’t want to step away. Staying would involve trouble though, so Kynier took the drinks and returned to the table with the others. Shuffling behind Kelski to get to his seat he made sure not to spill any of the fluid. Upon sitting down he placed the ale in front of Kreig. Kynier took his seat in silence, pondering the news he just heard. He also didn’t want to interrupt whatever they may have been saying while he was away. Kynier set his sight across the room at nothing in particular.

No matter how this conversation turned, Kynier was satisfied with this outing. Another piece of the greater structure was within sight. The gang was also still disturbed by what he had done to three of their members. It took a lot of will power to make it so his lips didn’t so much as twitch into the smile he had inside.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on June 24th, 2018, 1:41 am

The Kelvic settled under Kreig’s gesture for her to relax. She was quick to defend him, even as she reminded herself he could well and truly defend himself. The Kelvic tilted her head and looked at Kreig thoughtfully, not liking the idea that he didn’t find himself useful in this particular endeavor. She knew better. No matter what situation one was in, there was always something to be done. Sometimes that action was driven by desperation, sometimes by necessity… but if one used one’s head… there was no limitations.

Kelski didn’t like the fact that Kreig offered his funds. She didn’t like it one bit. This wasn’t going how she had imagined this talk going. Handouts bothered her. She’d spent several seasons wearing only what was given to her and eating only when someone remembered she needed to be fed. It had been all handouts and she wasn’t willing to take his money… not when it was so hard won in the ring. Even now his body paid the price. Sharp eagle eyes scanned broken knuckles that were still healing up from his last match. He’d flinched from her when she’d touched his hand in greeting. Pain. She knew it and she didn’t like it. There was no way Kreig would ever get Kelski to take his money.

His previous idea of hanging out in bars and chatting folk up was a better situation. But she still didn’t like it. It was Kreig painting a big target on himself. So Kelski nodded and said… “I understand about all that. I don’t think any of that is necessary though.” No… it wouldn’t be. Not after hearing Kreig’s words about being a Son of Sunberth. Kelski didn’t much care for the city, but she was starting to grow fond of the people here… and care about what happened to them. And she certainly couldn’t disagree with his thought on the fact that Sunberth wasn’t moving forward… that somehow the city was stuck where it was with its version of change only resulting in nastier change. Kelski sighed. She understood all too well.

She would help. But it definitely wasn’t going to be in the way she thought it would be.

Kynier was… different today. Harder. He lidded his eyes in a way that made him seem bored or disinterested by the particular furrow of his brow. And the way his attention kept diverting to across the room rather than focus on what Kelski considered a very important conversation front and center bothered her… a lot. She schooled her face into revealing nothing and simply watched Kreig and Kynier alternatively. She watched further, her sharp eyes focusing on Kynier when he perked up at the mention of money.

Her stomach sank.

She felt Kynier grow even more restless at Kreig’s speech and saw his attention waiver again. She didn’t like his words either. Taking down the people that wanted to keep the city the same? Kelski wasn’t an idiot. She’d lived first hand in the maw of the beast and knew the gangs themselves were always just inches away from imploding in on themselves like a house of cards. One just had to know where to pluck a card from the tower and they’d fall all on their own without any grandiose gesture or assassination of a leader. She’d thought Jaren was invincible but The Warmarshal had taken everything from his only son in a heartbeat due to one simple misstep on Jaren’s part. There had been countless other examples within just that faction. Her mind was busy …. busy for a moment… seeing a far bigger picture than she’d seen just moments before.

When Kynier abruptly excused himself, breaking Kelski’s train of thought in her own head, she glanced at Kreig. Leaning closer and dropping her voice for his ears alone, she pitched her sultry alto just for his ears alone. “I’ve made a mistake here. A big one. I think you know what I mean. Maybe we can talk later. But right now… its best I leave. I’m very sorry Kreig. Come by The Midnight Gem sometime. Not for business… but for pleasure. I’m learning to cook. It’s not good yet, so don’t expect much, but I’d like you to meet some people there. Not for this… for this sort of planning. Just for … a pleasant evening watching the sun go down and the gulls fish off the beach over a better meal than this. Okay?” She said, pushing her uneaten food away, laying coin on the table to pay for it, and rising abruptly.

She gave Kreig a long look, like she was memorizing his features and wanted to remember him sitting someplace pleasant away from his fighting ring where he wasn’t covered in blood… and then offered him a smile. Kelski timed her departure carefully. When she left, she cut between tables and slipped out the back. She was careful to depart when Kynier wasn't paying attention so that she was gone when he returned to the table.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on June 24th, 2018, 6:27 am

He had hoped to assauge Kynier’s concern somewhat, and he thought he was as he saw Kynier. The man tried to hide it but Kreig didn’t survive his fights by not noticing things. His emotions when Kreig announced his small wealth were as apparent to him as his as his attempt to mask his emotions when Kreig stated why he was willing to be part of this.

Was the point of their divergence so early before they even began to give effort? Was Kynier’s intent or goal for changing Sunberth much different than Kelski’s and his own? Kelski wanted to make the city better, that was obvious and clearly inspired by her own experience. Kreig’s desire stemmed from his own morals and his experiences outside of Sunberth. What was Kynier’s desire, and what stemmed him to act?

Those were questions Kreig wished to ask…. But would he get an answer? There was no trust placed in Kreig and while Kreig felt kinship with Kel the same cannot be said for his relationship to Kyn….. He withheld a sigh a she closed his eyes briefly. Kel seemed to have her own fears with Kreig’s words.. supportive yet apprehensive all the same.

And Kel’s agreement over the people who desire to keep the status quo ought to have been comforting, yet without trust between them and a lack of knowledge it offered very little. It was like they were walking two different bridges, a gap was between and a different destination, yet both fraught with its own peril.

His eyes darted to the new arrivals same as Kyn, not hard to tell they were gangers and not hard ot tell who they were either. Kreig stiffened only briefly, if he got worried every time he met a Daggerhand he’d be inviting mischief upon himself regardless. It was simply the nagging worry in the back of his mind that they’d remember his ‘folly’ against them or the Sun’s Birth that caused him to act so.

Kyn however clearly had an interest, and while Kreig couldn’t hazard why he didn’t need a pair of spectacles to see it as he excused himself and headed to bar, positioning himself far enough but not too far that he couldn’t overhear whatever the gangers had to say to Merv.

Kelski broke his own train of thought as she spoke and immediately Kreig redirected his gaze to hers, she looked regretfull. And immediately Kreig felt he knew why; this was supposed to be an effort to change the city for the better, but had her ideas on how differed from theirs? The same Kreig felt his was likely to differ from Kyn? At the very least Kreig felt confident that both he and Kyn thought violent measures would be involved…. What did Kel think, however?

He nodded, accepting her invitation for dinner for what it was. A dinner between friends, an introduction to new ones… and not consipartory as this unexpected meeting was.

“Heh, sure Kel. Who knows, might find a gem I like” He smirked lightly, though he felt a bit awkward as she stared at him for a bit. When she walked off and Kreig felt he was alone for the moment, he let out a long sigh as he slumped in his seat.

Honestly Sunberth was driving him to drink. When Kyn returned, Kreig looked at him and sighed. Accepting the drink and promptly spending a good bit drinking it all down. Kreig then took a moment to look at Kyn’s face…it looked like it was straining. Oh sure he may have looked natural but he could see the effort it took to stifle something he didin’t want people to see. He glanced towards Merv and the gangers and rose his brow to him.

“Ya know mate, if ya had yer own business ya coulda said so” Kreig let out, giving Kyn a disapproving look “Now ya got Kel all angry at ya” He left it at that without elaborating the why of it, pulling out some money and placing it on the table.

“Anycase, nice knowing ya I suppose, If we ever gonna get talkin’ again I’m hopin’ ta actually know where ya stand, cuz right now it all looks like shyke to me” And with that he wandered out, he had a bed waiting for him and he thought a good long rest was in store.

He’d be needing it.
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kynier on June 24th, 2018, 8:12 pm

When he turned to the table, Kelski was gone and Kreig was slouching in his seat as though something bothered him. The fighter accepted the drink that Kynier had brought him but made quick work of it. “Where’s Kelski?” he asked as the man stood up from the table. Kreig just stared at him for a moment before giving, advice? As the man placed the coin on the table he commented on Kelski’s mood. Kynier felt his blood stand still for a moment. He was uncertain of how their conversation stood, but now it was apparent that it had not gone well. Kreig said bye in his own way, and seemed to think the same as Kynier about their discussion.

Then he was left alone in the tavern. Frozen in his recollection of the last few chimes. Abruptly he set the water down and scattered some coins on the table. Running out the front door he looked both ways down the road, searching for a sign of her. Kynier had hoped to talk to her after their conversation with Kreig had concluded. Questions he wanted to ask would have to remain unanswered. There was no sign, no trail to chase. He did not know where she would go either. Despair settled on his shoulders.

Kynier took the road south. He couldn’t go back inside without suspicion even if he was in the mood to continue his investigation. So he made his way home, wondering why the timing was never in their favor.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kynier on October 9th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Grades!

Kelski
Skill Rewards
  • Leadership +4
  • Planning +2
  • Rhetoric +5
  • Storytelling +2
  • Stealth +1

Lores Learned
  • Kreig: Strength Incarnate with a deep seed of kindness
  • Kreig: Didn’t know who the Vino were
  • Kreig: Would want to recruit more help
  • Kreig: Is becoming well-known in Sunberth
  • Kreig: A Godsdamned Sun of Sunbirth wanting to help his siblings
  • Kreig: Thinks Sunberth is stuck and not progressing
  • Kynier: Thinks they should discover how the Vino acquire slaves
  • Kynier: Says he knows a weak point in The Quay’s fortification
  • Kynier: Has an unusual interest in Merv
  • Self: Could never be convinced to take Kreig’s money
  • The Vino: Are fortified in The Quay
  • The Vino: Keep a watchful eye of The Quay

Kreig
Skill Rewards
  • Deduction +2
  • Logic +3
  • Interrogation +2
  • Socialization +5

Lores Learned
  • Kelski: Remembers his lesson and is grateful for it
  • Kelski: Opened a place called the Midnight Gem
  • Kelski: Took a Loan from Goldfinger
  • Kelski: Could do with a little bit of tact
  • Kelski: Wants to change Sunberth into something better
  • Kelski: Is a Sea Eagle
  • Kelski: Learning to cook
  • Kynier: Thinks they should discover how the Vino acquire slaves
  • Kynier: Says he knows a weak point in The Quay’s fortification
  • The Vino: The newest slave organization in Sunberth
  • The Vino: Are fortified in The Quay

Kynier
Skill Rewards
  • Deduction +1
  • Interrogation +2
  • Intelligence +3
  • Intimidation +1
  • Investigation +2
  • Rhetoric +2
  • Socialization +3

Lores Learned
  • Kelski: Wants to do something about Slavery in Sunberth
  • Kreig: A fighter at Tall Johnny’s
  • Kreig: Gave Kelski lessons on Surviving Sunberth
  • Kreig: More perceptive than Kynier initially gave him credit for
  • Kreig: Would want to recruit more help
  • Kreig: Is becoming well-known in Sunberth
  • Kreig: A Godsdamned Sun of Sunbirth wanting to help his siblings
  • Kreig: Thinks Sunberth is stuck and not progressing
  • Merv: Owns the Pig’s Foot Tavern
  • Observation: Reading Kelski’s body language
  • The Vino: The newest slave organization in Sunberth
  • The Daggerhand: “Big” Siblings are a higher up
  • The Daggerhand: Looking for those that burned their brothers
  • The Daggerhand: The Viper is someone of note
  • The Vigilantes: Have a presence in Stumble Alley
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Previous