Closed [Temple Of The Unknown] Undiscovered Secrets (Kynier)

Wherein Kelski and Kynier reunite and make some unusual discoveries.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Temple Of The Unknown] Undiscovered Secrets (Kynier)

Postby Kelski on July 17th, 2018, 2:42 am

All her life Kelski had operated on other people’s schedules and looked to other people’s needs. She’d always put everyone else first, either because she didn’t have a choice or because it was in her nature to nurture their wishes. She could tell Kynier was upset, and she understood that he got seriously injured because of his magic investigating the ship. The Sea Eagle knew it was dangerous. Kynier had stressed it over and over again. But her Goddess had tasked her to do something… and Kelski wanted to do nothing more than follow her wishes.

She only nodded at him affirming that he’d heard the tales. Kelski hadn’t been lying about what Neras had gone through at the hands of the Doctor. And while she was glad he didn’t trust the doctor, Kelski could honestly care less about any envelope or doctor or mission beyond seeing the ship. Akajia hadn’t tasked her with all that. The Night Goddess had tasked her with visiting the ship… and Kynier had told her not too.

But here it was… a human wanted to counter the Goddess’ wishes, one that had just gifted him with something unbelievably special. Humans were so unbelievably self-important, acting as if they knew better than the divine. It angered her, though she buried the emotion immediately, as habit. Kelski had all but trained herself not to feel anger, as if she had no right to it, because as a slave she would have been angry every single chime of her life if she hadn’t. Akajia had told Kelski to go, not Kynier. Hadn’t he even heard Akjaia’s words?

Kelski paced harder, chittering a high pitched distressed noise under her breath almost silently.

Kynier had already told her he wasn’t sure he’d ever get his sense of touch back, but that Akajia had given him hope in that. So, he was in essence asking her to wait for something that might not happen despite the wishes of the Night Mother. He wasn’t giving her a timeline. Akajia had always been the steadiest important thing in Kelski’s short life. And in many ways, Akajia had given the Kelvic an identity and companionship in what had often been a lonely horrible life. It tore at Kelski, almost in a physical manner, because she wanted to cave to his wishes, but she would not ignore Akajia’s request. Moreso than that, she would not let him force her to ignore Akajia’s request. As her friend, he shouldn’t have put her in that position. And here he was, ignoring the fact she needed to go soon and asking her at first not to go at all then asking her to wait until some undetermined time. Kelski hissed in frustration.

“It’s surprising to me too.” She said with tight teeth, though she didn’t elaborate on which part she was agreeing with him on. A newly marked… deciding he knew better than Akajia. Kelski had often ran into hedonistic and arrogant behavior, but she hadn’t expected it of the mage. Kynier had completely killed the joy she’d felt receiving the second mark and had twisted her up inside and was now asking her – at least in part – to defy the wishes of her Goddess. The Kelvic stared at him, her molten silver eyes emptying of all emotion. She owed Kynier nothing. And he’d given her nothing to make her beholden to him.

And while she wouldn’t allow herself to feel anger… that long trained into her… she did allow herself to feel sadness… for him. For his fear and his arrogance and the fact that he didn’t really trust Akajia… how could he if he thought she was wrong and wanted to counter her words? Kelski had faith… more faith than that and even if going somewhere meant her death, she’d do it because she trusted the Goddess to be right and was indebted to her with every breath because Akajia had always made her life better.

“I will try to wait.” Kelski said, promising him nothing. He had earned none of her promises in this instant and by putting her in this situation. At least he acknowledged he had no holds on her. He had demanded a firm answer one way or another, her actions determining what he would do next by the decision in his eyes. He’d offered her no middle ground. It was his way… black or white always.. and with no compromising pathway. Kelski was tired of it all. She wanted to go celebrate away from the weight of things and the shadows were calling to her, even though she was a stranger to them. Darkness curled around her, with strange creatures in it sending tendrils of their forms out to touch her. She reserved her smiles for them in that moment, letting them draw her into the darkness where they dwelled.

The Sea Eagle was her own woman. She was owned by no one, obligated to nothing, and all her decisions were up to her. That would not change anytime soon. She had a choice whom to follow... and that choice lead her up to the statue of Akajia in the center of the room... the one that had split so neatly. Kelski wrapped her arms around the stone effigy and gave it a long and lingering hug full of love and gratitude. And then she turned and started back up to the surface. Kelski left it up to Kynier to follow or remain. It was far more middle ground than he’d offered her.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kynier on July 18th, 2018, 3:33 am

It was confusing to him as he watched her reaction. The way her smaller frame paced through the chamber as well as the way she remarked with a tense jawline. Kynier’s brows drew together as he tried to understand what she had been referring to. The compromise he offered had been offensive, though which part of it that had upset the kelvic he couldn’t tell. Kynier was not social in nature and often had difficulties reading people. Here it was easier as people acted on their more base emotions and desires. Kelski wasn’t one of those people. And he hadn’t spent nearly enough time to claim to understand her at all.

Before now he thought he had to a certain degree. That was an assumption that clearly needed to be reevaluated. Especially if he was to help her. His first attempt of doing so had gone the opposite of how he thought it would. Immediately he had disclosed all that he already knew on the subject and offered to include her in his efforts when he was ready to continue. Kynier waited, hoping that she would tell him what she thought. Kelski never did. When her pacing came to an end she gave him… nothing. All it had was an acknowledgement that she heard his question. For the second time that day he felt pain when he thought he’d feel nothing at all.

In the following silence Kelski embraced the statue of the goddess. That’s what it was that angered her. She thought that he was trying to work around Akajia’s command. Yes he was, in a way. What the divine had told her to do he had already done and considered it redundant to send a Nightstalker where another had already been. But he wasn’t really a Nightstalker, was he? The children of night had been divided and the goddess herself appeared more, indifferent about him. It was Kelski’s word that had carried the weight behind his new blessing. How had he repaid her? Telling her not to go where the Night Mistress had told her to go.

The kelvic didn’t say another word before she left for the surface. Didn’t even give him a glance. Kynier eyed the statue that had faced him and granted the Mighty Quill to him. Faith. It was something he understood while at the same time, he failed to understand it. His knowledge be damned. Kelski would take Her word over his fact. Kynier couldn’t, and had no right, to question Kelski’s action in this regard. The Kelvic was double marked. Making her faith… correct? True? Kynier couldn’t even think of a word to accurately describe it. Whatever it was it was also the example he needed to follow. That’s what he decided to do.

A few ticks after Kelski started up the spiral staircase he turned to leave, scooping up the burning lantern on the ground as he did. Kynier jogged to the stairs and climbed them two at a time. Near the top he caught up to the Kelvic, partially out of breath. “Seventeen days,” he announced to get her attention. “Seventeen days until I know for certain if it’s permanent or not.” Kynier stood a few steps down from the landing. “You said you would try to wait. But I know what that really means Kelski.”

He paused as he tried to express the thoughts without the full extent of his frustration. “I have only one task here. And that’s what I’m trying to do.” His tone grew a little louder as he continued. “And I’m sorry if you don’t like the approach I will sometimes have to take in order to do that. But please!” He took a breath before lowering his voice. “Please, let me help you.” He kept her gaze for a long moment of silence before he broke his gaze away. “When are you going to go to the ship? Tell me at least that much.”
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Kelski on July 21st, 2018, 2:20 am

When Kynier caught up to her, Kelski paused to study him. She wasn’t sure how he knew it would take seventeen days for him to know whether his sense of touch was permanent or not. She wasn’t sure what he meant by saying ‘You said you would try to wait. But I know what that really means’. He kept talking, and she tried to keep listening but she was still trying to puzzle through what exactly he was saying.

He only had one task? But he had listed a ….

The Kelvic firmed her lips and dropped her eyes from his face to study everything but him. She drew a deep breath and tried to steady her anger and the sense of disappointment she felt. This day was incredibly happy. Blessfully happy! She’d seen Akajia, been given a gift from her, and more importantly a task to Serve. Serving was built into Kelski’s blood and nothing made her happier than to serve someone she felt was worthy of being tended too. A Goddess that had done so much for her and been so like a mother to her when she’d been so lacking of such things was the perfect person to Serve. Telling herself this, reminding herself that no argument with Kynier could drag this day down for her… brought a loosening to her face and a half smile back into her expression. It was too hard to be mad at him for not understanding things. He was, after all, only human.

“You are always welcome to help me. I have no idea what task you have set yourself with or what you are trying to do, but of course you can help. You can start by not restricting my actions or countering Akajia’s Will. That would be a big help. Any additional help you want to give me is fine too, as long as its not help in the form of a leash. I’m not a dog to be brought to heel, Kynier. I know you are trying to come from a good place, but you are …. “ What could she say? She didn’t want to be critical, but he was being lead by his fear. “… being driven by fear. Life is too short to be driven by fear, especially for my kind. I could get knifed in the streets of Sunberth tomorrow. Someone could kill me or hurt me at any time. We sometimes have no choice when Death comes. I’d rather find mine, if its coming, service Akajia. That would be a death that meant something. And I could be far more than I am after I’m gone…. In her Service for dying in her Service.” Kelski said, not elaborating any more.

She flinched when his tone got louder. Kelski still wasn’t following why Kynier was angry with her, the Goddess, and the entire situation. Just because she wanted to carry out Akajia’s Will? She understood he thought it was dangerous, but countering the Goddess’ request entirely? The Kelvic didn’t have his magic. Nor did she believe Akajia would send her into danger, at least an amount of danger Kelski couldn’t handle.

“If you will know in seventeen days, I will go investigate the ship in eighteen days, at sunrise. I do not know how to contact you or where you live so I will just meet you at the mouth of The Mudway then and we will walk until we see the place we need to go. If you to not show up, I will understand but I will still go. We will keep these plans unless Akajia does or says something to change them.” Kelski said, giving him a time, date, and place. She shifted her feet, impatient, hoping he’d be ready to leave now. There was so much to celebrate, and Kelski wanted to go do so.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kynier on July 22nd, 2018, 7:52 pm

It was noticeable how she took a moment to avoid his gaze. To keep a disconnection at that particular moment. Kynier thought he understood that. They didn’t know each other if they were truthful about it. In a time of need they both weren’t even aware they were in they met and something changed. For Kynier it was about having someone to speak to. To share anything let alone vent his worry. Around any other person he would have made efforts to be unreadable, closed off. To be a mystery that society would overlook. Around Kelski he felt the opposite way. With her he felt comfortable enough to bare emotion, which was now the source of a strain between them.

When she partially smiled he felt his eyes perk up. It wasn’t that she didn’t appreciate the assistance he was trying to provide, she didn’t like how he was doing it. Kelski felt that he was trying to control her in a way, and to defy the goddess he had just been fortunate enough to tremble in the presence of. And yes. Yes he was allowing his fear to control him. Pain was something he could tolerate and even expected to experience. But he was stricken numb and Kynier discovered that was more frightening than any pain he had ever experienced. Even walking down the street was a terror. Unable to feel the clothes against your skin, let alone a knife in the ribs.

At her proposition he gave a single nod. Despite his behavior, his fear, and the distaste she had for both of those, Kelski gave him his compromise. It wasn’t a sensation of satisfaction but of shame that he experienced. Kynier had been instructed to assist and instead they argued. How had he become this?

“Sunrise, at the Mudway opening, on the thirty-eighth,” he confirmed. “I will be there.” Regardless of whether his condition was permanent or not, he would meet her. Kynier wanted to know the insights she would have and witness what he failed to perceive before. To see what it really meant to be a Nightstalker. By that time he expected to have a better understanding of what had been granted to him. Whether Kelski would be comfortable with it or not, she would be the example of Akajia’s followers Kynier sought to become.

Climbing the few remaining steps in between them Kynier stood beside her. Something within gravitated towards her. Kynier didn’t understand the sensation and wasn’t sure if it was something to refrain or indulge. It may have been the temple itself. How it drew them both simultaneously on two occasions. That realization struck him as odd. Of the thousands of people, it was this Kelvic. Though the goddess had seemed indifferent to his service this favored follower of Hers kept appearing before him. It was beyond his comprehension. Yet somehow… it was a comfort.

For a silent moment he stood there, holding the lantern low. Though his eyes could now pierce the shadows he chose to watch the dance they played across her pale skin. It didn’t feel appropriate to extend any offer of affection, but that was his fear. In an attempt to break out of the control it had over him Kynier offered a hand for Kelski to grasp. “Shall we go then?”
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on July 29th, 2018, 4:39 am

Kelski didn’t want to be frustrated by Kynier. But the fact was, despite all that drew them together, she didn’t know him like she wanted too. There was still so much to learn about each other, for both of them, and it was a steady learning curve that didn’t always come easily. She’d seen him so rarely but her obsession with him had grown exponentially and it wasn’t something the Kelvic was used too. People were people and most of them were just plain mean or evil, folks the Sea Eagle didn’t want to come into contact with again. So feeling the need to be with him was strange, and the female wondered if she didn’t unfairly build him up in her mind as well. He’d failed her today, or at least her expectations, yet here he stood offering her his hand and promising to be somewhere with her he had no desire to be.

It was so confusing to the Kelvic. Kynier was hard to read. His motivations weren’t plainly on his face or easily traced like people she’d known in the past. He didn’t wear his traits plainly and though she was convinced he was a really good person…. the proof was lacking. Even Akajia marking him wasn’t evidence of that. The Kelvic knew The Night Mother walked between words, in the shadowed boarders of good and evil. Things were not clear cut with her. And even Kelski herself could not assume that her own soul was good and pure. It wasn’t. She’d kill in a heartbeat with little remorse or regret. And while she wanted to say she wanted to know Kynier better… the truth was she was a bit afraid to. People disappointed her all the time…. especially humans. Would he be one of those?

Even as she had the thought, he reached out to take her hand and Kelski linked her fingers in his. Her skin was pale white and her nails long and black as they wove into his darker more tanned digits. The small act satisfied so much need inside her. It soothed her and settled her anger towards him.

What did he think of her? Did he see through her to what she really was? Independent, sure, but not so much as she let on. The Sea Eagle was desperate for companionship, friendship, a bondmate…. anything. Her core needs were deeply rooted in caregiving, protection, and providing. She had started doing some of that, but this man was the one she wanted to do it all for. Why had he gone toe to toe with her on the one thing she would not cave on? Akajia’s word was not to be denied. Anything else, and she wouldn’t have hesitated to alter her plans and concede to his wishes.

“Yes. We should go.” She said softly, avoiding his gaze. Kelski was pensive, lost deep in her own thoughts trying to decide if she should be ashamed of who she really was or if she should be proud of it. The Jeweler was under no delusions of what she was or what she needed. They were inhuman wants and desires. But what were Kynier’s needs? She thought on it a bit… walking quietly beside him, letting him pick the route back to the outside world where they would part ways until time and space thrust them together again.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kynier on August 4th, 2018, 8:36 pm

Grades!

Kelski
Skill Rewards
  • Acrobatics +1
  • Dancing +2
  • Negotiation +3
  • Socialization +5
  • Tactics +1
  • Teaching +1

Lores Learned
  • Akajia: Recommends she follow her heart and its curiosity
  • Akajia: Wants her to discover Sunberth’s secrets
  • Kynier: Had a misinterpretation of Akajia
  • Kynier: Is concerned for her safety.
  • Kynier: Makes her vulnerable
  • Kynier: Struggles with his faith
  • Kynier: Blessed with the first mark of Akajia
  • Kynier: Crowds her when trying to say something he feels is important
  • Kynier: Lost his sense of touch
  • Kynier: He’s only Human
  • Kynier: Sometimes driven by fear
  • Kynier: Not fully convinced he’s a good person
  • Mysterious Slab: Kynier says it’s a magic artifact
  • Mysterious Slab: Has some connection to the Doctor
  • Pitch: Bestowed to her by Akajia
  • Self: Wished she had earned or fought for her freedom
  • Self: Dislikes being a sign of wealth to the Sun’s Birth
  • Self: Won’t be a burden to anyone
  • Self: Won’t let Kynier ruin her desires to celebrate
  • Shielding: Something mages build to protect or hide things
  • Temple of the Unknown: Statue of Akajia chamber location

Rewards
  • Pitch

Kynier
Skill Rewards
  • Acrobatics +1
  • Auristics +2
  • Dancing +1
  • Negotiation +2
  • Observation +5
  • Socialization +3
  • Stealth +2
  • Weapon: Short Sword +1

Lores Learned
  • Akajia: Keeper of Secrets
  • Akajia: Blesses those that understand the value of holding knowledge
  • Akajia: Has one question she wants answered
  • Akajia: Demands more than Faith, demands secrets and knowledge
  • Akajia: Sees potential in him
  • Akajia: Feels that he and Kelski will need each other in the coming times
  • Akajia: Seemed indifferent towards him
  • Kelski: Thinks they’re a weakness to each other
  • Kelski: Acknowledges, but may not welcome their connection
  • Kelski: Blessed with a second mark of Akajia
  • Kelski: May consider him part of her family
  • Kelski: Won’t ignore the Night Mother’s wishes
  • Kelski: Doesn’t want him restricting her actions, or countering Akajia’s will
  • Self: Will not show weakness before a god/goddess
  • Self: Can prove himself to Akajia by assisting Kelski
  • Shadows: Are alive and immortal
  • Shadows: Speak Makath
  • Stealth: Set one foot forward and step behind the other in darkness
  • Temple of the Unknown: Statue of Akajia chamber location
  • The Mighty Quill: Bestowed to him by Akajia

Rewards
  • The Mighty Quill

If you have an questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to PM me.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Previous