PM to join The Wreckage Of Lives (Midnight Gem Crew & Kreig)

Kelski waits as long as she can and obey's Akajia's Orders to go search the wreckage on the beach.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

The Wreckage Of Lives (Midnight Gem Crew & Kreig)

Postby Kelski on July 22nd, 2018, 2:51 am

The 38th of Summer, 518 A.V.

Kelski had flown over the wrecked ship for most of the season. She'd also ran by it multiple times on her excursions to the beach. Each time she'd resisted visiting namely because others had before her, and then later Kynier had sworn her not to visit it without him. The Saique was a small merchant vessel that had pulled up mysteriously to the short pier that once housed the Baron's personal yacht. Though not in good repair, the pier was down the beach from The Gem and almost out of sight. The ship itself looked seaworthy but it was still abandoned and considered a 'wreck'.

Kelski was dripping in sweat and breathing hard. The Kelvic had rose early and ran the beach. She'd headed down her trail, hit the loose sand, and then had turned south to pad down the firm sand just above the wetness the foam-casting sea provided. The Kelvic had a rolling gait as she ran, keeping her arms close to her body and her torso upright and pushing with her legs. She concentrated on her breathing, pushing wind deep into her lungs and expanding it outwards. An enormous four hundred pound lion ran beside her. He was still growing with his black mane only tuffs at the moment. His stride was easy, keeping pace with the Kelvic as they ran deep into the waning night. The sky lightened fast and though shadows of all sorts trailed them - drawn to the Nightstalker - chattering as the pair roamed.

Only one of the two could hear the shadows and periodically she answered them between breaths. Kelski had discovered she loved running, especially now since she had a place to run and good company to keep. An Ocelot often joined them so the pair became a trio. The activity was sculpting the Kelvic in a way she rather enjoyed. Gone was the lanky boyish figure that was more bones than flesh. Under good food and very steady healthy exercise, her body was filling out and curving with muscle in places she'd never remembered it before.

They also trained hard in the basement, fighting and wrestling, brawling and practicing with all sorts of weapons - even their fists. Kelski enjoyed the activity since it got her out of the workshop where she spent way too much time at her jewelry bench.

Her and Ebon ran down the beach, past the wreck, turning at a three mile mark, and came back up. Ebon left her then, while Kelski retrieved her pack and more weapons - for she never went running unarmed - before heading back down to the beach to meet Kynier and Kreig. She went out to the sandy spit at the mouth of the Mudway where it met the ocean and waited.

Kynier and her had made the plans seventeen days ago. Kelski had sent a message to Kreig a few days prior, asking him to meet her for a small scouting mission at the wreck. He'd sent a message back and agreed. So together they'd go see what Akajia had wanted them to see... and learn what Akajia wanted them to learn. Kelski wasn't afraid to ask the shadows for help. Surely those in the ship would know.

So she quietly waited, catching her breath, dressed in skin-tight cotton with a bandoleer of daggers and a pack slipped over her back with a few supplies and first aid supplies. She kept watch up and down the beach, certain Kynier and Kreig would show up sooner or later.
Last edited by Kelski on August 2nd, 2018, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Rene Rafar on July 22nd, 2018, 3:40 pm

Ren passed the black lion on her way down to the beach as he was heading back to the house nodding a greeting and continued on down to where she saw Kelski waiting and armed to the teeth. "Hey Kels." She called out when she herself was with in hearing distance of her friend and housemate. "You mind if I tag along?" Pulling upside the last few steps adjusting her own dagger to set more comfortable at her side. "I finally have the day off sorry I didn't say anything about it before now. I just didn't find out until last night when I got back to the Agency."
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kynier on July 22nd, 2018, 9:19 pm

38th of Summer 518 4th Bell

Kynier woke several bells before Syna would. For a while he lay in bed and stared up at the ceiling, instantly awake. Nurxan was near and silently observing the mage. It was the day that had been agreed upon. One Kynier would prefer to have delayed for a while longer. Yet he swore that he would be there at dawn, regardless of his condition. By the grace of the gods it had worn off ten days past. The one opportunity he had to inform her had slipped by. On his end there was nothing that had altered the plan. Kynier hoped that there had been no change on hers too.

Climbing out of bed with a sigh, Kynier stood and went to the wardrobe to dress himself. Dawning his typical attire of the dark green vest, dark pants and matching high boots, he varied and went with a newer rusty red cotton shirt he recently acquired. The sleeves were long and he rolled them up just past the elbows. Then Kynier fastened his belt and added the usual accoutrements of the short sword and dagger. The assassin’s blade he tucked into his left boot for dire emergencies. Kynier didn’t expect any such occurrence to take place today, but life rarely played out how one expected.

After feeding Laurie and refreshing her water Kynier went to his desk. He took out the blue-white Mighty Quill, a couple sheets of parchment, and ink. He sat down and dipped the quill to begin. In the center of the parchment he drew a rune, Dala. The Focus would amplify the spell he would soon lay inside the ink. From his previous experience he didn’t want to feel unprepared. Kynier took a few chimes to draw out the loops and swirls of the rune. Afterwards he made his custom barrier. A chained series of Randjaq to help contain the mystic energies within the sigil. Like always the barrier took the most time when creating a scroll. For simplicity he may need to reconsider the design of the barrier. Each time he thought that Kynier recalled being nearly sucked into the void and felt better about his meticulous precaution.

Nearly a half bell after starting the whole sigil, the barrier was finally finished. As he had drawn it Kynier already knew the trigger word he would use and began applying it to the parchment. Once the trigger was in place the sigil was complete. Kynier set the magic quill down and closed his eyes. Each time his lungs expanded thoughts and distractions were expelled from his mind. With each exhale he came closer to tranquility as his mind filled with emptiness. When the last of his anxiety was gone he lingered in the state of absolute calm. An invisible hand reached deep within himself. Fingers that were an extension of his will dug down and scooped at a portion of the djed deep within his soul for the spell he wished to create. With that power he began to shape it, mold it, into a weave for a shield.

This shield would only have one task, which required no additional components. It would block the passage of djed. Once the spell had been woven together in his mind Kynier set his hands to float above the parchment. Power ready to roar to life coursed down the length of his arms to his fingers. Kynier willed it to merge into the parchment as well as the ink of the focus. The rune came alive with the power and twisted on itself as the magic settled. Once all the energy had been imbued it gave a single soft blue pulse of light to be mimicked by the barrier with a fiery red.

Kynier looked out the window. Leth was receding the sky for Syna’s approach. Quickly he stood up and got something to eat and few glasses of water. How long this endeavor would take was impossible to determine, so Kynier packed a few apples and a half pound of chestnuts into his pack. From his desk he retrieved three more sheets of parchment as well as the ink. The Mighty Quill went to its usual concealed pocket in his vest. Carefully he folded the scroll up and set it in a pocket that could easily be reached. Arming himself with eight gold and fifteen silver mizzas, he felt ready. Before he left he ushered Laurie back into her pen. Hand on the door handle, he paused. Kynier went to the cupboard and retrieved the last yard of white cloth he used for medical purposes, as well as the sewing needle and thread.

“I hope we won’t need this,” he stated to no one. But Nurxan had been lingering nearby the whole time and gave a response.

“Hope is crucial to life, but it’s wise to not rely on it.”

Biding the shadow farewell, Kynier stepped out into the predawn city and locked the door. He set his path northeast to the nearest section of beach past The Quay. Kynier walked quickly in order to make it on time. Only able to spare minor glances at the other residents during the transition of night prowlers to day walkers. Once he was on the beach Kynier followed the shore to the Mudway’s opening. He gazed out at the ocean as the waves crested and crashed rhythmically. The sound of the wind blowing at his back as he walked complimented the sound of the ocean as the tide began to change.

When Syna had been in the sky for not quite ten chimes, Kynier saw two figures on the beach in the distance. On his approach he was slowly able to make out their forms. Both women, one dark and pale, the other with long hair of a golden variation. Kynier’s lips curled on one side into a partial smile. Kelski mentioned getting some help. Though this was a mission for her that he was supposed to assist, he couldn’t blame her for reaching out further. Yet as he drew near he found himself surprised. It was the girl from Tent City standing beside her. The one that had given fed him fish for helping pitch a tent. What was her name again?

His posture contained a confidence that was lacking the last time he saw the kelvic in the temple. At twenty paces his eyes turned to his fellow Nightstalker, and the other half of the smile joined the first. Kelski wore clothes that complimented her figure instead of the loose adolescent boy clothes he had seen before. Kelski wasn’t as skinny and while didn’t possess the extra curvy shapes most men preferred, her body appeared more contoured with muscle. That Kynier found appealing. “Morning,” he said over the crashing waves. When he was three of his strides away he stopped. For a moment longer he took in the sight of Kelski before turning to the other woman.

“Ren, wasn’t it? I didn’t expect to see you here. I hope that you’re faring well,” he said sincerely. Living in Tent City was a dangerous notion. They hadn’t exactly been greeted with a warm welcome either. Yet the woman appeared to be in good health and in good spirits. Ren seemed the sort that would always have a smile on her face.

Kynier turned back to Kelski, smile fading but not disappearing. “Are we waiting on anyone else?” Though he would’ve preferred to have fewer people present, there was no negativity in his question. Kynier was just tryig to get a better understanding of the situation before they pressed forward.

Boxcode credit goes to Nellie!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on July 25th, 2018, 11:10 am

Exploring dangerous places wasn’t something Kreig considered wise, though considering the amounts of fights he put himself in he was not an authority. Then again, Kreig might have not felt it so dangerous if it were simply he doing the exploring, but Kelski had requested of him and so there he found himself preparing for a day that could be rife with danger or simply end with him looking paranoid. The brawler dressed in gray and brown didn’t want to go there unprepared however, and so before he ventured out of Tall Johnny’s he’d slipped into his armor comprised of breastplate, greaves, armlets and his gauntlets, topping the ensemble with his with a brimmed hat.

Not finished however, placed a weapons harness over himself so that he might attach his longsword which rested in its sheath along with his crossbow which had barely seen use in recent times and its accompanying bolts. Securing the sword to his waist and his crossbow and bolts to his back, Kreig felt himself as prepared as he could be.

And so after a few chimes he was out of Tall Johnny’s.

And Kreig walked, and walked, until he could here the ebb and flow of the tide. Until he reached the spot agreed upon and his eyes fell upon three figures. The unique coloration of Kelski, daggers like sheathed talons resting on her belt. Renee, fiery hai was beside her. And Kynier, the man was a familiar face but to him unknown, perhaps a friend to Kelski still and so Kreig didn’t remark on it, simply a nod of greeting to him with a tip of his hat.

“G’day to ya all. Hope we all finish with this quickly” He admitted, the fingers of his left hand fidgeting in nervouseness, he was prepared for danger of course and expected it, but he’d rather get to the doing than wait any further “Or we waitin’ on more?” He said, glancing to the three and surveying the surroundings, as if looking for someone to pop out all of a sudden.
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kelski on August 2nd, 2018, 4:06 am

Kelski nodded at Ren when she joined the Kelvic on the beach. “Sure, but you need to listen to Kynier. He’s going to be uptight with us when he joins us. He didn’t have a good experience the first time he visited the ship. And he didn’t want us going, but Akajia said I should. So I am. Kreigs going to be here, and Kynier is going to come with us and look after us. You work to hard for that Agency. They send you out into town too much… its too dangerous.” Kelski said frowning a little.

“Maybe I should teach you some stuff at the shop so maybe next season you can just help me there? Then you won’t be out and about as much… “ Kelski said thoughtfully, wondering if at least Ren would think about it. The Kelvic Ocelot was resourceful and seemed to stay alive quite well. Kelski was grateful for it because she enjoyed having the other Kelvics around. Ebon was a godsend and his gentle mournful personality constantly brought out her need to mother and care-give without the constant natural urgings to bond. He was good for Kelski because taking care of others brought her a level of happiness she hadn’t much experienced before.

Having Ren closer to home would be nice. Kelski hoped the Ocelot would take her up on her offer.

A warmth filled her suddenly and Kelski turned and noted the stride of the newcomer strolling down the beach. She’d know the profile and movements of the other anywhere. The Kelvic sighed and glanced at Ren. “How is it possible to have a bond with a human without ever having bonded to them?” The Sea Eagle mused and then shook her head. She offered Kynier a smile when he drew close and nodded at the second figure also approaching. “Just Kreig.” She added, gesturing to the Tall Johnny fighter as he strolled up joining them.

“Kynier has been in this ship before. I’m here because Akajia asked me to go. I asked Kreig to go because it feels right that he should be here and frankly if we run into trouble it will help to have a good brawler on our side. I think we should follow Kynier’s lead. There is a something in this ship we need to see or find… maybe something Kynier has already seen. But new eyes are good. I want to talk to the shadows in the ship and see what they know. I don’t think we should do this quickly, Kreig….” Kelski added, nibbling on her lower lip a moment before she tilted her head and looked at him. “I think we should do it carefully and thoroughly….” The Sea Eagle advised, shifting so she was standing next to Kyner. Kelski’s hip bumped his a bit until she was leaning it against his.

Last time they’d spoke on this, they’d fought and things had gotten tense. Kynier tended to go from easy going to bossy in less than a heartbeat when he thought something was dangerous or unnecessary. Kelski wasn’t the wisest creature around, but she knew if she started letting Kynier dictate what was safe and what wasn’t, things could get ugly between them. And she didn’t want that. She wanted him to see her and everyone standing here as his equal and well able to defend themselves if necessary. He worried too much and stretched himself to thin so leading this little expedition would be good for him.

Kelski reached out and set a hand on Kreig’s shoulder as if to steady him. “It will be okay. Lets get started though… the sooner we are in the sooner we are out right?” She said quietly, urging the party forward. She half expected and hoped Kynier would lead the way. If he didn’t, she’d keep them all headed down the beach and onto the small pier. They’d traverse the distance in just a short time and find themselves face to face with the gang plank.

“We ready?” She asked everyone, glancing around to make sure everyone looked prepared and had a weapon. Kreig was his own weapon, so Kelski let her eyes slide over him and made sure Ren had a dagger she could draw upon in each reach. When she was satisfied, she glanced at Kynier and raised an eyebrow.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Rene Rafar on August 2nd, 2018, 7:42 pm

Ren nodded. “Listen to Kynier and do as he tells me I understand.” Shaking her head as she looked at Kelski “Who? Are they coming too?” The young girl asked. “I like Kreig it was nice that he came for dinner the other night. But I don't think I have met Kynier is he nice?”

Ren shrugged when Kelski mentioned her working for Goldfinger. “Its not to bad I just deliver the GLA letters to their clients and if for some reason I cant then some one else will. And if its something that is going to be a bit more dangerous I have an armed escort. No one really bothers me. I think its impart who I work for and I always carry my two daggers that I got the night you and I where heading to the Gem. I may not be able to fight to well with them but its better then not having anything. Though I'd like to get better at them for there is more to it then just trying to stab a person.”

At Kelski's mention of learning to work with the pretty stones that she worked in to wearable art Ren's eyes lit up “Really! You would teach me? I love seeing what you can do with the little rocks and metal.”

Giving Kelski a puzzled look about being bonded. “I don't know I've never felt anything close to it.” She sighed then looked to see what her friend was looking at but wasn't quite sure until he stepped out of the shadows. “Is that Kynier? I think I have met him before, in fact he was the one that helped me with my tent.

At his greeting of hello followed with a question Ren replied. “Morning, Yes and I am grateful for the help that day. I hope you have been well.” Smiling politely.

She nodded a greeting to Kreig when he walked up. “Lead the way.” Was all Ren said as she adjusted her daggers to a more comfortable position.
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kynier on August 2nd, 2018, 10:52 pm

When the prize fighter showed up Kynier had to struggle very hard to not do so much as snicker. Kreig was an intimidating sight to be sure. Armor covered most of the critical areas with a sword and crossbow attached to the harness he wore. It was the circumstances that Kynier found so amusing. Kynier returned the acknowledging nod to the fighter then immediately turned his gaze to the water to filter off some of his amusement with a smile he tried to hide from everyone. He banished it from his face quickly. Kreig was here to lend his aid. Kynier was perhaps the only one that had already been to the ship, so no one else had any inclinations of what to expect. With that reasoning, the fighter’s ensemble did not appear as ridiculous.

When Kelski spoke he listened intently and switched his gaze between the other two as he did. Though no explanation was given to why Ren was coming he couldn’t argue with the kelvic’s reasoning for bringing the prize fighter with them. It wasn’t something he normally would’ve considered, even if he had the friendships to ask for such favors. When she proposed that he take the lead he looked to her with surprise eyes beneath a furrowed brow. The clandestine goddess had tasked Kelski with this investigation, and she was passing it on to him? No. They had argued about it before compromising on today. Kelski was going to do just as she intended, and was granting him the opportunity to put his own mind at ease about this whole endeavor.

When she rested her hip against his, Kynier shifted his the weight on his feet to support against the pressure. Hazel eyes did a final examination of the other two. Kreig could defend himself better than the rest of them. Ren wasn’t unarmed though Kynier did wonder how well she could fend off an attack. He decided that he would allow Kreig to worry about those matters. That wasn’t why the mage had come. The other danger present was what had brought him to the aid of his fellow Nightstalker. While there were more people than he expected, or would’ve preferred, there was only one artifact. Making sure no one accidentally set it off probably wasn’t going to be much of an issue. He would lead those precautions.

Kelski gave a last reassurance to Kreig. Was the fighter more anxious about this ordeal than he was? That would be difficult to believe. At the kelvic’s rhetorical question Kynier adjusted his hold on the pack that hung over his shoulder. “Right then. Let’s get going,” he said taking the first step north. Since none of them had been to the ship he guessed none of them knew exactly where it was either. So he set off to lead the way. Walking the remaining distance of the beach a few steps ahead of the other, unless one of them made the effort to walk next to him.

Baroque Bay harbor wasn’t far off. Byron’s Bank wasn’t settled deep into the harbor either. When the merchant vessel with scarlet sails was within sight he paused a step. He would’ve preferred to spend a bell asking around for any rumors of strange happenings with the ship, apart from what everyone would’ve already heard. Time wasn’t to be wasted though, so he started walking after just a tick’s delay. Approaching the small pier he could already feel it from this far outside. A taint in the air that his djed sensitivity could detect. It caused his spine to shiver uncomfortably. Kynier acted as though nothing was amiss as he came to the gangway.

Before he took the first step on it, Kelski made a last check of everyone. Her eyes quickly skimmed over the fighter and to the other woman. Kynier could see that Ren was in fact armed with a dagger. Kelski’s stare came to him last and she arched an eyebrow. That molten silver gaze locked with his for a moment. Honestly, he wasn’t ready. If he was to be honest with himself, Kynier wasn’t sure if he’d ever be ready. Now he was whole and was armed with some foreknowledge. That helped to steady his nerves. When the moment ended Kynier turned his eyes to the deck of the ship. An audible deep breath and exhale preluded his first step onto the gangway.

Waves rocked the ship causing the terrain to feel unsteady. Kynier hated that and was forced to correct his balance multiple times as he made his way to the open hatch on the deck. He stopped there and turned to his companions. “Wait here,” he said to all of them before looking to Kelski again. “I’m going to check to see if anything’s changed first.” He hoped she knew he was alluding to new dangers of a magical sense. Without another word to any of them he climbed down the ladder to below deck.

The smell hadn’t changed. A scent of musky wet wood filled his nostrils. When he was at the bottom he drew his short sword and reached into his pocket for the scroll he made earlier. Not stepping away from the ladder he looked around and through the shadowed interior. A few narrow slits in the wood provided some light to leak in. Kynier closed his eyes and reached for the font that resided in his soul. A well of djed lay waiting for him there. With his will he brought it forth to the surface and activated his Sight with Auristics. He walked around the abandoned hammocks and around the support beams as his vision began to fill with faint auras that permeated from everything. Except for one aura he would see in the distance.

A murky colored aura was radiating from the stone in the cargo hold. Kynier did not apply his focus on it, but rather set his gaze on everything else for other traces of power. The area filled with empty barrels, crates, and hammocks had no special auras of note. When he reached the edge of the cargo hold he stopped and averted his gaze from the artifact laying in the center. The fringes of the aura reached out a few meters. It was more awake than the last time he was here. The aura itself did not appear more active as it slowly shifted around itself. Kynier could feel his skin crawl from the pain and despair the comprised the aura.

After a chime was peripheral watching nothing had changed. No other auras of note grasped his attention either. Shadows were chittering indistinctly. He would’ve called out to them but refrained. Kynier turned around and went back to the base of the ladder, sheathing his weapon. Though he still kept the folded parchment in hand. When he was at the ladder's base he had only been away for about five chimes. He called up to the others. “It’s safe enough to come down.” He stepped away again and to the edge of the cargo hold. He stood there to observe the murky aura that emanated from the stone slab for any erratic changes. The hairs on his arms stood on end as he kept watch of the foot long, by six inch, by five inch stone.

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kreig Messer on August 3rd, 2018, 4:25 pm

Kreig didn’t know who Akajia was, nor did he ask… yet. He wondered who this Akaija person was and what shadows had to do with anything. The brawler’s tongue ran against the back of his teeth as he thought about it, then decided that he wouldn’t be troubled by it; he’d find out sooner or later, or he could simply ask. For now he supposed he should follow their lead.

As Kynier led being the one most familiar with the ship, Kreig followed behind to serve as rearguard. He would watch their backs while his own body would their rear, eyes darting about east and west as he tried to watch for anything unusual during their brief journey to the ship.

This did not mean he did not examine his companions however, Kynier seemed confident… well, as confident as their situation allowed and Kreig didn’t know the man well enough to even know which is confidence and which is nerves. He reckoned he wasn’t as nervous as Kreig felt however, his nerves always flared when magic seemed to be involved in something, decades of Sunberth nurture hard to stamp out though in a way it would serve useful.

And he could only assume there was something magical about a ship like that.

Kelski seemed determined yet also worried for Renee, the cat kelvic that Kreig met at the dinner. Of the trio before him, Kreig supposed he had to worry about Renee the most, Kelsi definitely didn’t need much concern and Kynier was assumedly capable in combat… Renee though, was an unknown. If there was danger, Kreig may have to worry about her the most if the cat couldn’t run off and hide.

Eventually they ended up at the ship, the vessel swaying with the ebb and flow of the tide. It had been long since Kreig was on a ship that he almost tripped over his own leg as he tried to balance himself… the brawler mumbled something incomprehensible, eyes furrowing as he remembered the last time he’d been on a ship and for just how long.

He hated ships for simply that reason.

When they reached the ship, Kreig watched as Kynier decided to go down first with the prospect of scouting for danger first. With that in mind, Kreig eyes fell upon the pier and the direction of the city proper, eyes scanning for danger.

He also thought it time for some small talk.

“Soooo… Akaija? Uh… who might that be?” He asked in a oh-so innocent matter. Who knew how long Kynier would be busy scouting that ship, and as Kreig’s hand rested on the pommel of his sword, finger tapping against it he knew the waiting would do nothing for his nerves.

Might as well talk.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kelski on August 5th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Kelski smiled at Ren and nodded. "Kreig and Kynier will be joining us. Kreig for muscle, and Kynier since hes been here before. Kynier can be nice, yes, but he’s also smart and strong. So pay attention to both of them.” Kelski said firmly, waiting and watching the area. “I’m glad Goldfinger treats you well. He’s treated me well also in regards to my loans.” The Kelvic said, glancing at Ren and nodding. She was happy Ren was content with her job. People didn’t really do well unless they were happy with their work. She felt gang members everywhere were proof of that.

“Of course I’ll teach you. You’ll have to be good with angles and can see color very well. Jewelcrafting is about attention to detail more than it is about any inherent gift of creativity.” Kelski told Ren thoughtfully. “We can start whenever you want…” The Kelvic offered, turning to the newcomers.

Kelski could tell Kynier was unhappy about Ren being there. But how could she have told the Kelvic no? Ren wasn’t a child and her decisions to come and go were her own. Sure, Kelski would have liked to exclude her until she trained more and could handle her weapons better, but the Sea Eagle knew what it was like to be left behind and she didn’t like doing it to others. Kreig was sight to behold, dressed all in armor and looking ridiculously strong. He appeared as if there were a war here and Kelski felt small and powerless standing within his shadow. She’d often thought he was born to rule something, even if it was his own family, and while the gentle man was a tough fighter, his heart was as soft and welcoming as they came. Kelski was glad to have him with them… glad in fact they’d all turned out for the trip.

Kelski kind of expected some sort of speech or words of warning, but Kynier had none. His simple ‘Lets get going… ‘surprised her and she smiled a little. They made short work of the time and were at the ship before anyone knew it. When he left them behind to check on things himself as the stood around the gangplank, Kelski turned to the crowd.

“This place is a lot more dangerous than it looks. Kynier was here before but what he hasn’t said was that people got hurt, even killed, just for looking at things with special vision. He didn’t want us to come today and we need to be really careful and listen to what he says.” She spilled out quickly while he was gone, giving anyone a chance to remain behind. She knew Kynier wanted to get this over with and quickly before something else happened. Kelski refrained from telling anyone that Kynier had lost his sense of touch for part of the season after just looking at the slab with magic. So his concern wasn’t unfounded.

At Kreig’s question, Kelski looked thoughtful. “Akajia is the Goddess of Night, Kreig. She is all around us when the night falls. She claims all the shadows in the day time as hers as well and covets the secrets of the world. Darkness is her element and many follow her. She is in many ways my mother. I’ve long been a follower of hers.” Kelski said, smiling at Kreig. “She is a strong Goddess to follow, giving us many gifts and many freedoms.” The Sea Eagle said, her voice filled with a sort of reverence and love they’d rarely seen from Kelski.

By then, somewhat quickly, Kyner had returned, saying it was safe, they all traipsed onto the ship, skipping an initial exploration of it, and down to the cargo hold to stare at the slab. Kelski didn’t like the smell of the ship nor the way the place was so gloomy that there were vary few shadows and only an overabundance of monochrome colors. She felt like the air was tainted in the ship and walked closer to the slap, stopping nearer to where one of the streams of sunlight from the cargo doors cast a shadow across its length from a beam supporting the upper deck.

“Greetings” She said quietly in Makath, and the shadow cast across the slab answered her in kind, repeating her greeting back. “I am Kelski.. one of Akajia’s favored…” The Kelvic said, still in Makath. The shadow grumbled reluctantly and answered her back in the same language. “Greetings Favored. You should not be here, but I see why you are. She sent you did she not? And when she knows what we know…. I wonder then why she would do such a thing.” It rumbled, in an incredibly deep voice, old and weary. Kelski nodded. “I won’t question her actions. I came because she asked me to and it was enough.” Squatting down on her heels next to the slab, Kelski reached out and gently touched it. It was formed of a strange stone she’d never seen, one that had give as she touched it, as if it were clay though it was not. The Sea Eagle tilted her head and studied the slab. She glanced up at the shadow, shaking her head slowly. “It looks almost ordinary… what is all the fuss about it?” She asked carefully, glancing at Kynier to make sure he was okay and her eyes then tracing around to check everyone else.

The shadow seemed to pause and then inexplicably others seemed to gather. They weren’t dense dark shadows as Kelski was used to, but instead they were shadows that were palled almost the monochromatic color of the inside of the gloomy ship. “This vessel was originally piloted by Daggerhands and Stiletto himself. Stiletto touched the slab, like you did there, and whatever it did or he saw caused them to fill so full of fear that the whole of the gang aboard abandoned ship and have not returned.” The shadow rumbled, its voice labored as it spoke.

Kelski was smart though, observant, and interrupted. “Wait.. .them.. meaning the crew but not this Stiletto himself?” Kelski asked, not actually knowing who Stiletto was to put context to the happening.

“No… not Stiletto. He seemed pleased at their reaction.” The Shadow rumbled again, this time adding to what information he’d given. “The slab has only reacted in our knowledge to four people. A human named Kyiner, an Akalak named Aer'wyn, Doctor Petricious, and Boss Stiletto of the Daggerhand.” It added more gruffly than Kelski could imagine a voice in Makath speaking. She glanced in concern at Kynier and then thought about Aer’wyn and wondered why he’d never mentioned seeing the slab.

“What makes the slab special?” She asked again, still in Makath.

The shadow chuckled. “We know not. However, we know that there were two other slabs here in Sunberth before. This one is a third… is a new one.” For some reason, those words caused Kelski’s blood to run cold. She lifted her arm, crossed her chest, and rubbed at her bare forearms, thinking hard. She knew Kynier wanted to go see this doctor… she knew the slab had hurt him… but thinking there were at least two other ones out there and this one was sitting there vulnerable… sent a chill up her back.

She asked a final question, thoughtfully, and carefully. “The other two slabs… are they still in Sunberth?” Kelski whispered, half afraid to know what the shadows would say… “And do you… any of you know… what will happen if the third joins with the other two?” Kelski said softly, almost under her breath, still in Makath. The shadows all around the room erupted in whispers, speaking back and forth to each other in rapid fire Makath too fast for Kelski to understand. It was like a crowd in a far off riot all shouting random things that was so far away that only emotion or inflection was heard, not true meaning.

It took a long time for them to settle down.

And when they did, the shadow across the slab finally spoke. “They were both last seen in Sunberth... no shadows – none of us - have ever seen them taken out of the city. And the last question is a true mystery. We don't know, young Nightstalker.” He said finally, slowly, as if the answer had pained him even speaking it. Kelski noted the shadow hadn’t said they knew where the slabs were, but they didn’t say they didn’t know either. She hadn’t asked. Kelski swallowed hard and looked at Kynier a moment as she rose to her feet.

“Nighstalker….” A smaller shadow said softly, one cast by her own form. “Nightstalker, this ship has many secrets. Search the Captain’s quarters for that which is hidden. There are things in there that will help you answer more of your questions.” The voice said before it too faded back into the background.

Kelski stood a moment, somewhat stunned, and turned to the group. She knew Kynier could understand the language of Shadows but that no one else could. She quickly translated what happened and waited, seeing what their reaction would be.

The first being, it’s a new slab and not one of the original 2 that went missing. The second, that the missing crew on the ship were members of the Daggerhand who simply abandoned the ship, and third is that they observed that the slab has only ever responded to four people in any substantial way. A human named Kyiner, an Akalak named Aer'wyn, Doctor Petricious, and Boss Stiletto of the Daggerhand.

Count: 1600

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kynier on August 17th, 2018, 1:48 am

As the others came down one by one, something caught his eye. The Sight made something apparent that was rather strange. The slab was emanating its murky aura like usual, but there was another aura lingering at the base of the stone that he had not noticed before. Kynier stepped forward to cautiously approach the stone. Sight focused on the new aura he had missed before. It was magic. Active magic from some type of spell. It didn’t incite any feelings to his body the way his Auristics usually did. By the time Kelski was kneeling at the stone, he was as well.

The magic was unfamiliar to him. The way it was formed was with some sort of weave. It wasn’t a product of Shielding though, that much was certain. The sense the aura was giving off was that of anchoring. While he hadn’t tested the stories of the stone being unmovable, Kynier didn’t doubt them either. Seeing the magic responsible for it was something else. Whatever it was, he was growing ever more curious to how to construct this sort of weave.

Auristics were beginning to cause his head to ache and coated his tongue with a metallic taste. Kynier closed his eyes, closed his Sight, and pinched the bridge of his nose. Without getting up he listened to the questions and answers being exchanged in Makath. When the shadow questioned Akajia’s motives Kynier refrained from giving Kelski a pointed look. The expression was probably still visible on his face even if he didn’t meet her eyes. Yet it was abandoned at the mention of Stiletto. Stiletto was a man. That was viable information by itself. From all the questions he had to those on the street there was no certainty of the Daggerhand leader’s gender. Already, the visit had proven to not be a total waste, at least for the mage.

When they spoke of the four that had been present for the stone’s activation, Kynier furrowed his brow. Doctor Petricious was a task he intended to pursue in the coming days. Stiletto, was a long running project of his. It was only a matter of time until Kynier found out who Stiletto really was. But this other person, Aer’wyn, was a mystery. Kynier supposed that Vel wouldn’t count in the shadow’s eyes. The akalak had been present for it like the crew had been for Stiletto. So who was Aer’wyn? It was fortunate that he was an Akalak. The masculine race was not common in Sunberth, so this last person should be easy to track.

Then the shadows confirmed other rumors that Kynier had heard. That this wasn’t the first stone artifact to visit Sunberth. But the third? The concept of all three of them together sent a chill down his spine. When she asked about what happens when the three were united the shadows began speaking faster than he could comprehend. When they finally answered it wasn’t terrible information, but neither was it reassuring. When Kelski looked at him he reached out to gentle squeeze her upper arm. His words were soft spoken for only Kelski and the shadows to hear in Makath. “This stone won’t be moving soon. There’s a strange magic keeping it anchored in place.”

He stood up with her and did not turn around when the shadows regained the kelvic’s attention. For now he wanted to keep his Nightstalker status secret from the others. They mentioned the captain’s quarters. To search for something hidden. Mentally, Kynier scolded himself for not doing that the last time he had been here. Granted, he had a major setback and such thoughts were absent from his mind at the time. He may not have really found anything the last time he had been here, but now knowing to search for something hidden, he was curious to see what else the ship had been carrying.

Silently he stood as Kelski retold what the shadows had said for the others. He looked over his shoulder at the slab. The blank surface changed. The word Petricious formed on its surface, though it would only be visible to his eyes. Kynier glared at it. As though it were somehow taunting him. Exactly what had the doctor and the Dagggerhand boss done to activate the stone? What had this Aer’wyn done? Were the rest of them mages as well and paid similar prices for a piece of understanding? Kynier intended to find out from the doctor in the coming days.

In the silence that followed Kelski’s words Kynier drew a breath and turned to the other two. “The stone is a magical artifact. For now its power seems to be dormant. And from the tales I’ve heard on the streets, both the stone and this ship cannot be moved from their placement. For some reason, the Daggerhand must want the stone right here.” Kynier looked over his shoulder at the stone again. The word only he could see on the surface vanished from sight. It caused him to pause and his eyes to widen in curious horror. Only Kelski would be able to see his expression.

It was as though the stone were conscious of his presence. When he used the Sight on it last he felt such terrible suffering and loneliness. Did the stone have so much power, so much djed infused in it that it had developed its own soul? A sense that his actions were being manipulated settled in his mind. That somehow the stone itself was trying to guide him to the doctor. That suspicion made him shudder.

Kynier turned to look at Kelski. She hadn’t mentioned the captain’s quarters to the others. Did she want to search them with only the Nightstalker’s present? He didn’t really believe that she would, but was curious to why she omitted that. Whether they liked it or not, Ren and Kreig were now involved with the mystery. Kynier wouldn’t blame them if they chose to back out of their pursuit. He would welcome it in fact. It would only be harder trying to safeguard more people from dangerous magic. Kynier regretted not applying himself more to his magic at that moment. If he had half the power of his instructor, he wouldn’t be so shaken by the whole situation.

Turning to face the others. He stood quietly to listen to what the others would have to say before he decided to take the lead again. Kynier chose to keep whatever Kelski’s reason for not mentioning the last details, a secret from the others. “There’s one last place I want to search on the ship. The captain’s quarters. Circumstances prevented me from doing so the last time I was here. None of you need to come if you don’t want to. The choice is yours.” The mage left Kelski’s side, knowing that she would follow. The other two, he wasn’t so sure about.

Kynier led the way back up to the main deck and approached the door to the upper interior of the ship where he suspected the captain’s quarters to be. Through the first door was the room Kynier assumed to be used for navigation and private banquets. He knew not if the room itself had a name designation. But the room itself was in complete disarray. The large circular table had been smashed to pieces and scattered across the floor. Water soaked parchment and papers had been trampled and torn all over. Nothing looked salvageable. The door to the captain’s quarters lay on the other side of the room. The door had been broken around the handle and lock. Wood splinters run up the side of the door making it evident that it had been locked and rammed open.

If the ship had been completely empty when it docked, then why bother locking the door?

Pressing a few finger tips to the door the mage slowly pushed it open. The inside of the captain’s quarters looked to be in the same of dishevelment as the navigation area. Before he stepped inside he heard something. Kynier stopped and tensed, raising a hand to signal everyone to be silent. After a few ticks he heard an inaudible voice from within. The mage quietly drew his short sword and skulked into the room on the balls of his feet. Silent as a cat on the prowl in the night. An aweful smell met his nostrils. The smell of defecation and decay permeated the air. As he went further in he saw a figure lying on the bed.

An old man in the filthiest clothes that Kynier had ever seen was lying on his side with his back to them. Kynier cast a quick glance around the room as the old man seemed to be quietly sobbing. As Kynier drew closer he could hear only a few words through the forlorn muttering.

“Poor Espalia, my dear sweet Espalia…”

Kynier had never met nor heard of the old man known as Grisham Grimswald and didn’t know his story. Nor why the old man would be staying on an abandoned vessel with a dangerous artifact.

Grisham GriswaldThe old man won't be responding to much, but as soon as people try to talk to him Regime needs to be notified.

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next