PM to join As Above So Below

Kelski teams up with Vasin to do a little Recon.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

As Above So Below

Postby Kelski on January 3rd, 2019, 5:52 am

Timestamp: 15th of Winter, 518 A.V.

Kelski wasn’t all that sure what they would find, but after much discussion with Crylon, he’d truthfully got her thinking and had stressed the importance of knowing certain things she hadn’t actually given a thought to before. One major question was what lurked below the land she owned. She was incredibly curious about what was beneath The Midnight Gem and future home of Trade Secrets. So, she’d recruited some help in the form of a new friend that had a taste for exploration, and together they’d agreed to meet at the one entrance Kelski knew about by the Midnight Gem that lead into the underground. She had crude maps that looked incredibly old and outdated, and she had climbing gear galore.

Kelski made no secret she was getting ready to go, laying out the rope in the living room of The Gem and checking all her gear thoroughly before she left. The Kelvic was good with lists, making them and checking them, as well as lining her backpack with just about every supply she’d need including first aide, food, and weapons. She had gloves and a tent to camp in if they needed one. She had materials to start fires with an few sticks of firewood to keep them warm if wood was needed. She also brought out and cleaned her sturdy underground lantern, adding a skin of oil to her slowly growing gear pile.

The Sea Eagle was no stranger to below ground travel, having both learned climbing and spelunking in the bowels of Sunbirth. So, when she was ready, she carefully made contact with The Gem and through visualization down their link. She concentrated hard, carefully drawing the link open in her mind, and painting a vivid picture of her entering the underground. She imagined herself walking along tunnels, pausing to make notes on a hand drawn map, trying to find out if she could get directly below The Midnight Gem. Careful resilient concentration with a heavy dose of visualization made the sentient building understand that she was going below ground and that she’d perhaps be gone a few days. If she didn’t communicate well to The Gem, she’d worry the structure and a worried jewelry shop and home was no easy place to live in.

If anyone questioned where she was going, she’d let them know firsthand. Otherwise, she’d leave a nice little note on the counter in the kitchen and head out to the appointed spot.

Their entrance was a collapsed foundation that opened into a partially flooded basement two properties off a major intersection to the east. Kelski had given Vasin careful directions for the location and time to meet. Lucky for them, the dry end held a doorway that actually still functioned and opened onto a set of winding stairs that plunged downward into the tunnels. Kelski knew it was dry beneath. The flooded end of the basement was due to an incredibly well sealed stonework that captured and held the rain like a basin… though it was tilted and sunken on one side due to Sunberth’s ever constantly shifting earthworks.

Kelski would meet Vasin there directly on time – the ninth bell that morning – and would be there early waiting. The Sea Eagle had no idea if he was punctual or not… but she tended to be early everywhere. The Kelvic was glad for some companionship on the trip, knowing often two minds were better than one when someone was exploring something new. Kelski needed to get out away from her shop anyhow. There was a break to be had from her work, for her own sanity. She loved gemstones and she loved metalsmithing, but sometimes the endless work in her shop made her half crazy. Stretching her legs for a few days would be just the ticket she needed to a bit more happiness for a time.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

As Above So Below

Postby Vasin on January 3rd, 2019, 8:51 pm

Vasin had been very pleased when Kelski invited him to accompany him along for the journey through the underground tunnels. It had been thirteen days ago when he had first met Kelski at the docks, she had caught him reading there. He shared what his book was about with her, determined they both didn't know the meaning of a word and discussed the book deeper than most conversations he had with his coworkers. That was all fresh in his mind, especially when she then showed him to the library. A place deep within stumble alley filled with books and scrolls which he had never heard of before. The two of them quickly worked together to find a world map, but he ended up with an Atlas of Sunberth and she ended up with a map of tunnels. Suffice to say, both sparked his imagination and brought certain things to light in his mind. The idea that there was so much right here in Sunberth that he had yet to see, to explore, and it was around him and under him. It didn't stop him from wanting to explore the world outside but rather added to that feeling of wanting to explore. When she had offered to take him along on such an exploration it turned what he dream of into a fact. Gave him something to seriously consider other than work.

So early in the morning, the day of he had woken just as the sun had started to rise and illuminate Sunberth. It had been somewhat difficult to sleep the night before, thoughts of the next day occupied his mind. But eventually he had fallen asleep, and then he had easily awoken. Vasin of course planned on this, as he would need some time to get ready for the trip. Rummaging around in his tent he prepared himself. He put on his backpack with some of his belongings in it, rolled up his bedroll and strapped it above said backpack. Attached 100 ft of rope neatly rolled up to the side of the backpack. A blanket he figured was necessary as no doubt in a place without sunlight would become cold. After all, people had cellars to preserve perishable foods. A lantern was strapped to his waist and he took two torches. Then going along with the idea that it could get cold down there he packed his jacket and gloves should that assumption be correct. It was odd how it was winter yet he walked around in normal clothes and armor. He had bought those winter clothes just prior to these warm winters, and well it was obvious how much use he got out of them based on how unused they appeared.

Then he set out, leaving his tent he would set about the day curious to see what it would bring him. It was a straight walk, no need for a ferry as no water was between him and their destination. Though Vasin still had to keep an eye out, even early in the morning. No doubt people wanted to see if they could catch prey alone. Luckily as he stayed away from alleyways and other non-direct paths he would make it without a hitch. Following the directions that Kelski had given to him as he had listened very carefully. He wanted to make sure he did not forget so he kept repeating it to himself. Trying to picture it in his mind as he had done so. It would be awkward if he got himself lost, same deal in his line of work. Regardless he found himself approaching the collapsed foundation, Kelski had arrived before him."Good morning Kelski." he said to her arriving soon after she did. Walking to the edge of the collapsed foundation he peered inside. This end was indeed flooded, and then he looked over to the door she had mentioned from before when detailing the place."Brought what I could to be prepared." he said adjusting his backpack. Vasin noticed that she too had brought some supplies as well.

"Sorry if I'm late by the way." he said addressing the fact that she got here before him. Vasin liked to be able to set aside days for himself. In a place like Sunberth work from Goldfinger was usually steady. On days when he wasn't needed then he tended to go do what he usually did when not at work. It was nice, reminded him there was more than just work. But, he did enjoy his line of work, gave him something to do, kept him occupied when he had nothing else, and it matched up well with what Sunberth had raised him to do.
Vasin
Player

Words: 290557
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

As Above So Below

Postby Kelski on January 7th, 2019, 1:41 am

The Kelvic smiled at her new friend when he arrived. “You aren’t late. I tend to be early and this is fairly close to where I live anyhow.” She explained, then reached down and picked up a bundle of gear. She reached out, offering it to him. “I brought you climbing gear. I don’t know what this looks like beneath us, but the places I’ve been you have to repell down sometimes or climb up and its best to be on ropes. I know a little about it, after trying it a time or two. And I assumed you didn’t have gear, so I brought you some. I hope I guessed correctly on the sizing. I told the seller you were big. It’s a bundle that has a climbing harness in it, 200 feet of rope, helmet, a headlamp filled with oil, coveralls, two kinds of belay, a chalk bag with a carabiner attached and an extra bag of loose chalk as well as chalk sticks, eight quick draws, a full set of rock anchors, a hammer, two sets of nuts, and a set of slings.” Kelski said, ticking off its contents.

“It’s heavy but we’ll need the gear if we run into rough going. I can show you what everything is and how its used. I’m just a beginner, so it will be like the blind leading the deaf, but I think we can manage.” The Kelvic said, picking up a much smaller black leather backpack and slinging it over her shoulder. It wasn’t nearly as big as the bundle she’d given him and looked a lot lighter.

While he looked over the kit, Kelski tapped her well and invited djed up into her gaze. Power pooled in her eyes and she looked him over, trying to note if anything glimmered or glowed on him. When she didn’t find anything, she patted her backpack. “The gear is a gift from me for coming along, but I also have food and water if we need it. I brought along a copy of that map we found at Remmys. Ready to go below?” She said, waiting until he got the gear settled, and then bent to pick up another lamp that was more hand-held. She used her flint and steel to light it, then lofted it up. Beckoning him to follow, Kelski opened the basement door on the dry end, having to heave to do so, and then slipped inside with Vasin on her heels. She held the lantern high and began descending the wooden steps into the basement.

“I don’t know you very well. I’d like to change that. I have a few friends here in Sunberth, but I’d love a few more.” She said, hitting the bottom step and holding the lantern high. They treaded the length of the basement where a far wall collapsed into an open tunnel. Kelski paused there, smiled, and pointed at her map. “Right here. It’s as the map said it would be. Shall we continue?” She said, stepping out of the basement proper and into the rough hewn walls of the mine shaft. There was rubble everywhere, but it looked relatively safe. Debris littered the floor and as they walked they came across old rusty tracks – like rails – that were only partially remaining. An empty ore cart sat off to the left mostly rotten away by the remains of the rails. There was obvious signs of looting and scrounging.

“This is creepy.” Kelski said, glancing around the abandoned stale aired mineshaft strewn with cobwebs and rat droppings. She noticed that they weren’t alone. Vasin couldn’t see them, but several shadows crowded about. Kelski offered them smiles, carefully, when Vasin wasn’t looking. She didn’t want him to think she crazy, talking to thin air as they walked along. “Shall… we fill the silence with good converstation? I’d like to get to know you better. Maybe we should play a game.” She said as they walked, skirting around debris and exploring. She pulled out sticks of chalk, marked the basement to shaft transition with a feather symbol and an X for exit. Kelski made sure it was visible on both sides.

“The first rule of this kind of exploration is to tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. I’ve told two other folks… a friend named Ebon and one named Anja.. and if we aren’t back in a day or two they will come looking for us. I’m leaving sign for them to follow and sign for us to follow out so we don’t get lost. When you make marks like this…. make them on EACH side from every view so no matter if you are coming or going… you could see them.” She explained, glancing over at Naska, one of the shadows, who snorted in approval. Kelski wasn’t an expert, because she was just parroting the shadow’s advice as it had given her last season when she’d first learned to explore below. Kelski directed her attention back to the debris strewn path as they got back underway. She made notes on the wall every twenty feet or so, carefully conservative of the chalk sticks, and then continued on with her first suggestion.

“Anyhow.. .a game. How about a question game. I get to ask you one and then you get to ask me one in return after you answer. You don’t have to answer, but if you refuse, I get two more questions. The same goes for you. You can’t ask the same question back without a different question in between… and maybe that’s how we can get to know each other.” She said with a smile. Kelski had the nagging suspicion she’d done this with someone else once upon a time, but the memory was hazy, all but gone, and it made her slightly uneasy that she couldn’t remember.

If he agreed, she’d start first. “Why do you grow your facial hair long? I have seen men do it before, but I’ve never gotten to ask one why.” Kelski said, curious, as she stepped around what looked like a mostly decayed corpse of a large brat. The Sea Eagle winced at its poor condition, sorry the creature had died here in the dark alone.

Ledger = -100 GM Climbers Toolkit

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

As Above So Below

Postby Vasin on January 11th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Vasin was a bit relieved at hearing that he wasn't late and that his apology was a bit premature."Well, that is good. Had to do a short walk myself. I live... a bit further away I suppose?" he said the journey from the tent was faster then what he usually had to go through. His daily routine usually requires the use of a ferry, so it had been nice to just walk uninterrupted by the water or others. However, in the midst of this Vasin paused when Kelski proceeded to produce climbing gear offering it to him. He was a bit surprised by the gift, his mind only briefly stopping over the idea of using. A light smile, of course, came to his face as she listed off all the equipment that came with this climbing gear package."You assumed correctly. The closest thing I have to climbing gear is some rope." he said as he would carefully take the offered gear from her giving it all a look over."Thank you Kelski." he said rather pleased with the gift, as he rarely if ever received gifts from others."Based on what you said, I am really going to need it." he added not exactly having much if any experience in the way of the type of climbing they would be doing.

"Well, being a beginner is better than knowing nothing. I'm sure we can troubleshoot any problems we come across." he said rather confidently really noticing the weight. If she said it was necessary, then it was, and plus it was a rather nice gift. As she picked up her black leather backpack he would start trying to equip the gear and storing it in his own bag. It didn't feel as heavy when he wore it versus holding it all in his arms. He would finally put on the helmet adjusting it onto his head, and it fits rather well on his skull."Plus, the best way to get better at something is by doing." he said knowing that to be true. Though he was sure reading was a good way to gain some base knowledge. Regardless, this gear gave him a sense of confidence and made him feel rather professional. Then again, he had never actually stepped into the underground before, so that could change very quickly.

"Ah, good thinking. I brought some provisions along as well." he said looking back to her after having strapped the last bit of equipment to himself."But yeah, I'm ready to go when you are." he said ready for one of his first real adventures into the semi-unknown. Of course, that map meant they were retreading someone else path, but they could come across something entirely new that they missed. No doubt it will become more difficult as they go off the map he figured. Seeing as Kelski had decided to light her own lamp Vasin would take his own flint and steel out along with the headlamp. With a couple of strikes here and there a spark would catch the fuel and the lamp would ignite. It's flame glowed and promised to light the way. Even if one of their lights went out the other's should be able to compensate he figured. Heavier with equipment he breathed out as he watched Kelski enter through the dry end's door. With some effort, he followed behind her prying the door open a little further as he slipped in as well. Watching his footing he, of course, followed Kelski down the creeky and old wooden stairs.

Vasin stepped into the basement after her and looked around as he walked over the debris-covered floor. His footing was carefully considered as he looked around."Having more friends is always good. Especially here." he said with a slight nod."I do think that I would like a couple more as well." he said rather happy with the notion of being Kelski's friend."I'd like to know you a bit better as well..." he said trailing off a little as his eyes came to rest upon the collapsed section of wall that opened into the tunnel."Wow, there it is." he said almost in disbelief as he peered into the opening from where he stood."Seems whoever made that map was really accurate. Yeah, let's continue." he said their adventure into the tunnels off to a great start. Walking through the opening he looked around as they left the basement, debris on the floor of the tunnel. He would have to be careful as they ventured down the dark tunnel. Peering past Kelski as they walked at the edge of the light from their lamps he spotted something coming just into the light. Rusty old tracks accompanied by an old mine cart.

"Perhaps a little..." he said the darkness at the edge of their light sources pervasive and acted like an inky void. They truly were underground, and besides signs of looting this place seemed totally abandoned. Like no one had been here in years. Not a soul to be seen besides the two of them, or at least that is how he saw it. Vasin noticed how quiet it was, as he would glance back to where they had come from."Yeah sure, a good conversation beats silence." he said looking back to her unaware of how she had greeted those that wait at the edge of darkness."Far better." he added as they continued down the tunnel.

"Makes sense, I mean if you didn't tell people where you are going then that makes it a whole lot harder on them." he said with a slight nod."That also explains the chalk in the gear you gave me. Good thinking." he said as he mentally took notes as he watched her leave markings on the walls. It made sense, a whole lot of sense to leave markings where you went."Can't easily get lost this way..." he reaffirmed as he memorized the marking. In the unlikely event, they got separated those markings would be his only way of knowing a direction to the surface."Also, what was this? A mine?" he asked the abandoned cart very fresh in his memory. Well, that much was fairly obvious now that he thought of it. Maybe it would also be a good idea to remember landmarks like that cart? He kept an eye out not wanting to chance getting lost as he followed along with Kelski."What do your markings mean by the way?" he asked knowing it was important to learn them.

Vasin would quietly nod as he followed along making sure to keep up with her."A question game? Sure, I can play that." he said agreeing to her terms and conditions for it. Sounded like an easier way to get to know one another. Vasin hadn't expected her first question, it took him a little by surprise."My beard?" he asked as he thought about her question for a moment. He thought back, to a time before he had decided to grow it out."Well, it's because from what I remember my father had a beard. Then growing up here ending up thinking they looked rather nice. Back when it was cold during winter it also helped keep my face warm." he said answering her question unloading a couple or so pieces of information. He was about to ask her a question and was starting to speak when they came across the corpse."Oh, that's..." he said staring at the Brat corpse for a moment."That is a rather large rat..." he said in an understatement as he peered at it."Wonder what happened to it?" he asked knowing that any number of things could have happened to cause it to die here. He would glance around the circle of light their lamps produced, the decayed was not exactly a pleasant sight.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

As Above So Below

Postby Kelski on January 13th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Kelski was glad he liked the gear. Vasin was going to need it. They got going in no time, without delays, and were soon exploring the underground together following the map she'd copied from Remmy's.

The Kelvic stopped him a moment and shook her head. “Vasin, don’t be overconfident. You can ALWAYS easily get lost.” She said as they walked. Even though she knew he was referring to the marks she was making on the walls, she tapped at the lamp. “Though metal, they can be destroyed. One trip and you can shatter your lamp accidentally. One misstep and you can plunge yourself into darkness. If you cannot see the marks on the wall to read them to find your way out you might as well be dead.” Kelski hadn’t said the words in a tone that implied he was stupid. She was just being super cautious and trying to help him understand how dangerous this was. “I’m just learning Spelunking… this cave exploration. You too. That’s why you need to rely on more than your eyes. We told someone where we were going and when we would be back. That’s like step one. We’re marking the walls, that’s step two. We’re following a map… that’s another step. But in your mind, you need to understand…. have you taken four lefts and two rights? Or was it six lefts and five right turns?” Kelski said softly but clearly.

Then she continued. “You have to remember, Vasin… in case you have to retrace your steps hurt or even in the dark. You can’t panic. You have to be calm, collected, and understand that if things happen, the thing that will get you out of this cave system is your brain. If you panic, you need to stop and calm down before you ever move again. Is there fresh air this way? Is there a breeze? Were you following a bit of a stream you could potentially follow out? That’s why you need to not just look forward, but look back a lot to remember what it looks like to get out. The details make it all worth while.” Kelski said, trying to teach him what she’d already learned, though she was no expert and far from competent. She just knew enough to get into trouble… serious trouble underground.

It must have been a mine, right? She told him she thought so.

At his question about what her markings meant, she stopped and found a blank spot on the wall. Then she sketched out several markings. “This X means Exit. The way we came in. The two >> means that two of us went this way.. .the way the arrow tips are pointing. If there were four of us I’d use >>>>. This 0 means no one has explored this yet… those I’m using for the branches we don’t go down. I can erase them later and remark if I come back and explore. Then she sketched several more marks. There are marks for water, exits up which just looked like up arrows, and then she had marks for blockages, slides, and dangerous walking. “If its an easy walk or say a large animal can get in, I just leave it blank. We haven’t come to any cliffs yet, so I haven’t had to deal with that.” She added, stepping back and handing him the chalk.

“Copy them really fast. I find if I make the marks myself… write out information… my mind holds it quicker. And say them as you write them out.” She suggested, their little group taking time to do the exercise. She was glad that he’d asked. Kelski wouldn’t have thought to tell him. It was her own little system and not something she was particularly attached too. “If you think of more, we can add them in. This is just my code, not some universal cavers one. I don’t know if there actually is a universal cavers code. Spelunking is an odd thing to do. Here? Sure, because we have so many mines and caves. But I’m not sure people do it everywhere except for when the Valterrian happened.” The Kelvic said wistfully.

He liked her idea of the game, so she was happy when he answered the question. “Wait… what? Men grow that much hair normally and just shave it off daily? But you let yours grow out? And its warm? I got it. I was just curious. I thought… well I wasn’t sure what I thought. I haven’t known many people with beards. A Dragoon guard I used to know…. he was the one my Master assigned to me to protect and make sure I didn’t fly away when I was owned had one. He seemed to think it was a sign of his status. He wasn’t a good person and I was often alone with him.” She shuddered then slightly, wondering if she’d ever get past thinking of those days and how hard her introduction to Sunberth had been. “You are very different from him.” She assured him, then toed the brat corpse.

“Who knows what killed it? Things die. Old age, poison, another brat, even bad air or a monster. I know the man that made the brats, you know. He is one of the fallen of Leth… the kind that never age? He was trapped down here and he taught rats to steal for him and bring him food. But they weren’t big enough to carry much so over time he bred them to be huge, so they could steal more and carry more for him. They were pampered and spoiled, his rats, so they earned the name Brats.” She said thoughtfully, wondering what she’d have done in that same situation.

Then she studied him. “Was that my question?” She asked, curious. Kelski wanted to ask him another, but if he hadn’t asked her a question, then it wasn’t her turn again. “How old are you?” She said curiously. Kelski had always had issues with humans and understanding their ages. Vasin was a great deal taller than the small people that humans called their young. But he didn’t have silver or white hair like an older human would have. So, she was stuck trying to figure out how old he was with very little information. If she had to guess, she’d say ten or fifteen. But that too didn’t seem quite right. She was certain he was more at the beginning of his life than at the end of it, should he live a normal lifespan. But then again, people had surprised her before.

Kelski kept walking, both of them moving down the main shaft. The tunnel was curving slowly, whatever was up ahead was both lost to the dark and lost to the curve in the tunnel. She was following the tracks, obviously, not deviating from the main path.

After a few moments, giving them more time to talk, they could hear a shuffling ahead. The shuffling was punctuated by snorts and a strange iron on iron striking noise. Rounding the corner, they both came face to face with the oddest sight.

A mule with fully loaded packs stood in the trail looking at them. It had its long ears laid back and it looked super aggressive. It's flanks were heaving, there was blood on its front, and it had its teeth bared at them as it brayed ion anger. Kelski halted immediately. She glanced at Vasin, back at the mule, and didn't advance or retreat. She really wasn't certain what to do. To her, the mule was huge. It was definitely on the larger size of the equines she'd seen... not at all what she'd expect to find in the mines. She couldn't see what was beyond the mule, because darkness swallowed everything.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

As Above So Below

Postby Vasin on January 18th, 2019, 1:08 am

Vasin would rub the back of his head, perhaps his statement had been indeed a bit overconfident? It was no different from saying because you knew your way around Sunberth you would never end up with a knife pressed up against your back."I suppose you are right in both regards, and it's a lot like if you lost a sword in a fight. It's vital, and if you take a wrong step you can lose it." he said putting it in a way that he could come at with some experience. It was obvious he took what she said seriously, Vasin was certainly not the dismissive type. Regardless what she said brought forward to the forefront of his mind how careful he had to be. This was all new territory for him, he couldn't just walk in like he owns the place. For instance, there was mining equipment. If he didn't keep an eye out, he might very well step on a rusty nail. That would be a nasty surprise, so he would prefer it to not be a surprise."I suppose I got a little bit to caught up in the moment." he admitted quietly having let what she said to sink in.

"Sort of like stumble ally yes? Bit more dangerous, by a long shot and with higher stakes then if you got lost in there." he said with a nod knowing that what she said was true."I'll remember, and I will keep all that stuff in mind. My life depends on it after all." he said understanding what kind of world he was entering a bit better now."Plus, I can't exactly be an explorer if I just mindlessly walk down a tunnel and don't try to make any note of it right?" he said knowing he wouldn't exactly be a good one at that if he continued on without a thought at all. One had to think about things, make plans, back up plans, and back up plans for those backup plans! The explorer in his book certainly had to go through a lot before even setting sail! They had all the resources one could ask for as well.

Vasin nodded and would reach back taking out his notepad and writing utensil."All right, ready..." he said as he would then start to listen to her explain what they meant. Vasin did as Kelski suggested saying them out loud as he copied the symbols down. He was not too hasty in drawing and took some time to get a copy of what she had done. He wrote their meaning underneath before he would close the book."Yeah, if I think of anything I'll tell you and add it. Probably all sorts of things that could use a symbol." he said with a slight nod.

"Well... that's the thing. People can have beards for a number of reasons. Status, utility, or because they like them. Or maybe they just don't want to bother shaving every other day." he said with a slight shrug knowing that he didn't have time to shave every day either, but he had other reasons as he had said before."But thank you, sounds like an unpleasant man." he said not liking the sound of that dragoon guard, and also it sounded like she had come from an unpleasant place entirely.

"Wait really? That's where they come from?" he asked curiously as he looked to the dead rat."Also a Leth? They never age?" he asked amazed by the amount of information she had just thrown at him in one go."How long has this person you speak of been down here?" he asked."I don't think I've ever heard of this..." he said amazed by what had been under his feet this whole time.

"Oh? I guess that was my question!" he said a little amused by how he had seemingly given his question without realizing it."Hmm, well I'd say about twenty-three at this point. I'll be twenty-four next season." he said thinking back to how much time had flown by him all these years here. He had been in Sunberth longer than out of it."The years keep on coming." Vasin commented."Hmm, how long have you been in Sunberth?" he asked having a few pieces to go off of, but not exactly a full picture. Her speaking of her past had made him curious and then reminding him of time moving forward.

Vasin blinked a little surprised at what he saw in front of them that appeared out of the dark."Well then, I don't think I imagined seeing a mule down here." he said as he looked over the rather aggressive looking mule, Vasin kept his distance. He spoke in a quiet tone, and noticed that it seemed rather distressed, maybe injured? It had blood on it, whose blood was that? Now he was no expert animal handler, but Vasin started to reach back into his bag. What an interesting find he thought as he rummaged through his bag looking for something."Hey now..." he said speaking in a soft way as he with caution and slowness approached. Slowly he pulled out Hardtack or a biscuit which he brought to be in front of him, in the view of the Mule."We won't hurt you..." he said making sure to stay in its line of sight and to it's front. He moved slowly and would slowly offer it the biscuit. But would move no further or invade it's space further."Here, you are probably hungry right?" he asked trying to be reassuring. He may be an animal handler expert or anything, but he did know most things like food.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

As Above So Below

Postby Kelski on January 21st, 2019, 3:16 am

Kelski frowned slightly at Vasin’s words. For some reason, someone telling her she was right was almost unheard of in her world. But she said nothing, tilting her head, and enjoying the moment of someone actually agreeing with her and indeed treating her as an equal. It wasn’t the usual Kelvic experience, and Kelski was enjoying the journey beneath with Vasin because of it. Normally she would have went alone. Unafraid, the Kelvic had taken to roaming of late, not sure why sometimes being at home was unsettling. Vasin had an honest humility to himself, as if he were aware of his weakness and motivated to acknowledge and thus overcome some of it.

The Sea Eagle thought that was an admirable quality. She herself constantly sought to identify and overcome weakness in her own character, even if she failed at it quite often. “I think you are going to be a great explorer. Its like learning anything new though, it just takes time to get used to building good habits. Knowing where you are and being conscious of where you are going is just another good habit. We’re in a way learning survival, even if its subterranean.” She added, then went on with the lessons on symbols. Kelski was sure her system was far from perfect, but with her lack of experience, it was all she knew.

She liked hearing about beards. It was something she’d never asked anyone about before, but a thing she’d wondered about a lot. Humans were so individualistic in how they wore their hair, trimmed it, or even fastened it up. She didn’t ever grow face hair, but she wasn’t sure that was common on females or if her Kelvic nature just precluded it.

Instead, she grew a lot of hair on her head and wore it in a thick braid down her back for the spelunking. That men wore it on their face interested her. And absently, the business part of her mind, wondered if she could start a beard jewelry trend and increase her sales at The Midnight Gem.

Vasin’s question about Gilthas surprised Kelski. She looked thoughtful a moment, uncertain. “He fell after the Valterrian. Gilthas is his name. His fall was quite close after the Valterrian though because he lived underground with people when everyone lived underground. He’s been down here since, most of the time unable to leave. Now he leaves though, comes to the surface, and is slowly getting used to how Sunberth is. I’d say… at least four hundred maybe more years? I’m not sure where they come from… some land that Leth or Syna rules. The sky. I think there is land above us, far above us, where even eagles like myself cannot fly.” Kelski said thoughtfully, but her whole demeanor was uncertain. Vasin would be able to tell she knew next to nothing about it and was simply speculating.

He gave his age easily enough, and she studied him trying to associate his given age with his facial features. She would have pegged him a different age, but she wasn’t sure. “I was sold here The Winter of 517. A year I suppose.” She said, wrinkling her nose. Sunberth wasn’t her first choice in places to live, but she’d tied herself thoroughly to the city and invested in its growth and change.

Then the mule happened.. and their question game came to an abrupt halt. Kelski thought it likely the mule would kill them, but in all honesty, when Vasin started speaking softly to it and then offered it food, the animal seemed to want to settle down. Kelski had recently acquired an incredibly skittish horse and she started speaking softly to the animal as Vasin waved his hardtack.

The mule looked between the two of them and eventually took a step towards Vasin, the lure of food powerful. It caught the hardtack biscuit from the man’s hand and munched it like it hadn’t eaten for a ten day. Kelski could tell it was hungry because she could count its ribs, much like her own horse’s ribs had shown when she got him.

Though half starved, the big white mule was very handsome though it was dirty from being underground. Kelski stepped closer, waiting to see if Vasin was able to calm the mule down. His idea was a good one and the mule did sniff at the hardtack and let itself be calmed by food.

When Vasin had it eating, Kelski boldly walked up as calmly as she could and took its halter and lead that was simply dangling. After a cautious moment, she handed the lead to Vasin so she could search the animal thoroughly. She stroked its… no his… neck soothingly and then flipped open one of its packs. It appeared to be filled with … soil? Why would someone pack a mule’s pack with dirt? “This big boy is carrying dirt.” Kelski said, puzzled.

Carefully she moved around to the other side and of the big white mule and flipped open its other pack. She reached in and pulled out what could only be described as a giant cat skull. The skull had a wicked long set of teeth that reminded Kelski of some of her larger daggers. There were other bones in it as well; a complete skeleton appeared to be present.

“Vasin… there’s a giant cat skull in one of its bags, and dirt in the other. What in the world? I don’t’ think there’s even any supplies in here.” She told him, replacing the skull and stepping back to unshoulder her own pack. She pulled a complete lantern from it, carefully lit it from the burning flame in her headlamp, and turned the hood up so it shone light all over the tunnel. Reshouldering her pack, Kelski glanced around.

Agates gleamed in the dark, embedded in the walls, giving the space a glittering look. The Kelvic paced outwards, holding the lantern up, and all but stumbled over the body slumped face-down on the hard packed dirt floor. Mule tracks were all around it.

Indeed, the mule had been guarding someone… someone long dead. And the man had a half-spilled pack with agates scattered all over the ground in front of him. She knelt down by the body and carefully rolled it so the body’s face was upright and she could study his features. He hadn’t been dead long… two days maybe? Kelski smelled death but not much decay, which was normal in the cold chill of the tunnels.

“Well, its former master isn’t going to miss it. I think hes dead. Looks older, like a prospector or a miner. Missing some teeth. And there’s bite marks on him where it looks like brats have been trying to eat the meat on his bones. He’s been gathering agates…. “ Kelski said, taking a moment to pick up the pack that had spilled, refilling it with the stones.

She walked back to the mule and added the bag of agates to its burden. Then she turned and scouted past the body, seeing what appeared to be two trails… one a faint worn trail from the mule heading deeper into the tunnel, and one fresher, where it had come out. The man’s tracks were right beside it.

Kelski returned to Vasin and reported what she found. “It looks like a clear trail. We could follow it back to where it went and then back to here.” She said, curiosity filling her. Then she pulled off her helmet, blew out the lamp, capped it tightly and inverted it. She pulled out her waterskin – she had two of them – and filled the helmet with water. That she offered to the mule who drank greedily of it. Then she went back and checked again, finding grain hanging in a nose bag behind one of the packs.

Kelski let the mule finish eating Vasin’s hard tack, gave it another deep drink, then hung the nose bag on its halter so it could nibble more grain, filing its belly. “He’s been down here a few days with the dead. Hungry, thirsty… I’m not sure what to do. I want to trace their steps and see where they have gone, but I also am not sure it’s a good idea for the mule to make the trek once more. We could take it by my place and put it in the barn with feed, then return tomorrow and trace its tracks. Or we can go now, take it with us, and hope its strong enough for the trip. I would leave its packs here though, stashed down one of the side tunnels, so its not so overburdened.” Kelski said, offering a few suggestions to Vasin but not sure what the right thing to do.

“What do you think?” She asked, curious, not even sure he wanted to see what the prospector had been doing but curious to find out.
Last edited by Kelski on January 30th, 2019, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

As Above So Below

Postby Vasin on January 26th, 2019, 11:06 pm

"Thanks." Vasin would start to say after Kelski had said she believed he would become a good adventurer."I think a lot of this could really be put to use in any situation." he said agreeing with her idea that this was practice for survival."You could leave markers in a forest where all the trees look alike as well..." he pondered thinking that was a good idea. It would take a while for him to fully able to absorb and translate all of this. Which is why he was writing it down now. He liked her system, even if it wasn't a perfect it was better then nothing in his mind. He would finish taking notes as Kelski finished her lesson on what the symbols all meant.

"Four hundred years..." he muttered sounding out the words, it was difficult to grasp that kind of time. A lot can happen in a single year, but four hundred years."Even if stuck down here the majority of the time, he must of went through a lot..." he pondered wondering what it would be like to live that long. He was sure that on the rare occasion a human could maybe reach one hundred, but be the old and live down here traveling about? No, that would be rather the feat."A land far above?" he asked the idea of it flowed through his mind."Like up where the stars are? Far above the clouds?" he asked though did not have a firm grasp of how far up those clouds were, or how far up those stars were or how far away they twinkled from.

Sold? He had started to think to himself when the Mule had happened. Well, it made sense, she had mentioned before how she went places unwillingly. But it made him wonder, how did she become free? How did she end up with the Midnight Gem? Questions he would have to ask after as he quickly occupied himself with the Mule and his Hard Tack biscuit.

Vasin's eyes ran over the face of the mule when it took a step towards him and reached out. It snatched the biscuit from his hand and started to munch away at the travel food. He watched it eat made curious by its presence down here. When Kelski handed him the lead he would look to her and after a brief moment take the lead."What a handsome animal." he commented softly now as he got a better look at it all while Kelski investigated it further."Dirt?" Vasin asked curiously looking beside the mule at Kelski and the pouch. Why was it carrying dirt? Maybe there was something important inside the dirt? Someone wouldn't just carry dirt for no reason, right? "Maybe something is in the dirt?" he wondered though it was dark and he couldn't see inside the bag from where he stood.

"A cat skull... and dirt?" Vasin asked sounding a little confused by this revelation."What was your master doing down here?" he quietly asked the Mule but expected not to reply."They must have come down here specifically for that. Or maybe... they were trying to deposit the dirt and skull?" he said pondering and thinking out loud. That did not make much sense, but this was turning into one interesting first exploration for certain.

He then heard a commotion as Keslki stumbled over the corpse of the former master."You all right back there?" he asked looking overseeing her standing over the body but he could not get a very good view from where he was."A prospector huh?" he asked looking back to the Mule."Seems he was exploring these tunnels as well then?" he asked knowing a miner or prospector had to search to find their quarry.

When Kelski presented her findings he thought about it while he watched the Mule drink what Kelski had offered them."Maybe that is where they got the dirt and skull?" he asked curiously as well about how this scene came to be. Maybe the answers they sought were down that clear path the Mule and former master had come from. Then he looked to the mule as Kelski explained it's condition. He rubbed his chin thinking it over. He tried to gauge the Mule but got nothing, he had a harder enough time reading humans."What do I think?" he asked before looking back to Kelski."Well, I think our new friend deserves at least a short break. I'm sure they dont want to share the same fate as their master." he said knowing even beasts of burden probably had a limit."Plus, we came down here with two people in mind. Not two people and a mule." he added thinking it over."But before that, we should probably give that body a closer look. Could be some clues as to how he ended up... well dead..." he said wanting to have a better idea of what they would get themselves into.

He would hand the lead to Kelski as he would approach the body and crouch down next to it. Under the light of his head lamp he looked over the body. He spotted the area where it looked like something had bitten in. It was on their arm. He traced i and thought back to the dead Brat further back, the shape of those teeth that stuck out of the sunken and rotted mouth. This was probably post death. Plus Kelski already told him about this part. So he moved on up to the head. He studied them for a moment before he noticed something he had so casually glanced over. Vasin reached in and moved the collar of his shirt."There is a wound on his neck." Vasin announced back to Kelski though he wasn't sure what kind of wound. It was towards the back of the neck, dried blood stained onto his skin."Looks like something got him from behind... and then he made it here?" he asked looking to the tunnel they had come from. Then he looked to the Mule then back to Kelski."This explains why the Mule was so beat up. I think it was in a fight." he said though not sure with what or with whom. Then, he got up something else on his mind wondering if what was in the bags had anything to do with this.

Walking over to the dirt pouch he opened it and reached in feeling through the dirt. He felt something metallic and would grab hold of it. Pulling it out he opened his palm and looked over what he had found."A... Key?" he asked curious as he looked it over. It was a strange key for certain, having a blue orb almost like a jewel set inside of it. Lines of what? Wire? Ran from the jewel and to the tip. It was strange, it almost had a faint glow, but it was drowned out by his head lamp."Kelski, come take a look at this. Its some sort of fancy key." it was strange, why was it in the dirt? Why not carry it separately? The dirt in itself was a weird bright brownish color, almost rust-like. It stuck to his hands rather well.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

As Above So Below

Postby Kelski on February 1st, 2019, 1:58 am

Vasin was so easy going. It wasn’t hard at all to journey with him. It wasn’t even hard to explore with him. He wasn’t bossy or bullish. He proposed good ideas, and worked well as a team. All in all, Kelski was enjoying her time with him. She hadn’t been wandering the docks the day she met him to make a friend, but after their experience in the library she certainly considered him one. This situation confirmed it. His questions were fair, not prying, and his insight showed empathy and compassion for a person he didn’t even know.

She was going to introduce him to Gilthas, for certain, and soon. “I don’t know, Vasin. He doesn’t talk about it and I just don’t know. I don’t know how there can be land above and land within and land all over that we can’t access….” And yet… someone had told her once about the Chavena and the Chavi of people. She searched her memory, suddenly certain it was Gilthas, but she couldn’t call up the specific memory. It was odd.

“I remember and don’t remember something he told me. I…” She shook her head. “There are other realms. They exist above and above… this is like a solid core realm. This is where we live. But there’s another place called the Chevana. It is filled with beautiful lights and the records of all our lives. It’s hard to explain, but I know I’ve been there… I’m just not sure what I was doing there. It was like an endless plain of blackness – almost like staring into the night sky – and instead of being filled with stars the place was filled with silver threads that twisted and tangled beautifully. Sometimes they touched other cords… each cord was a life and written somehow on that cord was the memory and moments in those people’s lives. If we were there now staring at our own… chavi… yea that’s what they were called. If we were there staring at our own Chavi, they’d be tangled right now… yours with mine… because we are together in this moment. We are crafting memories together… making new strands of our Chavi. And beyond the Chavi is something else… another realm. A realm of the Gods. They live there full time… in pockets of their own existance. I think… I think the Eth were in Syna and Leth’s realm… pocket realms… and they fell from them to here. But its not exactly up. Its almost sideways… I don’t know how to describe it.” The Kelvic said curiously, as if she was puzzled by her own fractured memories.

“There are people that can access the Chavi whenever they want. Gilthas told me about them. They are Dreamwalkers. They can even read other’s memories to find the truth of events and some even more powerful ones can change memories, dull them… “ A chill passed through her. And it gave her pause a moment. Sometimes her memories of the last three seasons had felt muddled, dulled, pulled into the background. She reached up and touched her head.

Had that happened to her? Had Gilthas done something?

She trusted him but…

Kelski glanced at Vasin, troubled a moment, but the man was moving on… complimenting the mule who seemed to soak up the attention. The mule nuzzled the explorer and brayed softly as if distressed. He seemed just as puzzled as she was by a cat skull and dirt.

And then she found the body, examined the corpse, and picked up the agates. There were literally dozens more embedded in the walls, which to Kelski seemed odd. The stones looked tumbled, worked, and not at all in the raw. Loading them onto the mule, she took the lead when Vasin handed it to her and watched as the young explorer searched the body. Kelski hadn’t given it much of a search because it was a dead body, male, and she didn’t much like humans on principle.

She hadn’t noticed the bite mark on the dead man’s neck. She moved closer, urging the mule to go with her, and got a good look at it. A fight? Both him and the mule had been in a fight?

Kelski watched as Vasin searched the bags and found the key. She moved closer, peering around him to look at it, her eyes wide. “I didn’t even see that!” She said, pleased at his discovery. She stared at it, wondering where it could lead and looked thoughtful. Centering herself, she tapped her inner well of power and felt the djed rise in her mind, pool in her eyes, and she looked at it carefully. Her auristics flared, and in the first moments of opening her magical sight, she had to take a moment to peel Vasin’s aura away from the item to truly see it without being obscured by his influence. He had a warm rich aura filled with ambers and golds, sparked through with rich greens and deep blues. It was pleasing and earthy, full of honest curiosity and unphased by malice and the dark taints some broken minds or wounded spirits carried.

She blinked, glanced up at him meeting his eyes with a silvery gaze that had gone liquid mercury, and then turned to look more carefully at the key.

The stone was one of those ‘other’ ones that she knew existed but wasn’t sure why. It held power in the key’s crown, but of what kind she’d need more time to study it. The metal was shot through with old old magic that had nearly faded. Tilting her head, she reached forward and touched the key. Old. Dead. Its magic had lost its power and only the stone’s presence was keeping the key intact.

She said as much. “It was once magical… once a thing of power. But the magic to it is old, dead, faded… the stone has power that keeps the key solid, in its shape, and … untarnished I believe. But whatever it was, it isn’t any longer.” Kelski said, forgetting Vasin didn’t know she was a mage. And honestly, she hadn’t realized she’d spoken until her eyes lost their luminous glow and she blinked back to normal.

Kelski’s pale skin lost all hints of color then, if such a thing was possible and even if Vasin could see it in the dark. “I… I didn’t mean to say that aloud.” She said, cursing herself for letting her guard down. “Is it… a problem? That I know… a little magic?” She said softly, meeting the young man’s gaze momentarily.

If it wasn’t… or if he hadn’t decided yet whether it was or not, Kelski would push on. “I think I know what to do with the mule. Lets head back to the entrance. I can shift, fly back to where I live, and see if I can find someone to come collect him… someone that knows horses and can help. He has a horse so he can come fast. And then we can continue our exploration. and check in to tell him what we know. His name is Anja and he’s a really good friend. A Drykas... a horse clan member. He can help the mule out and come get us later if we don’t return… or we get in trouble. I mean… bring help?” She said softly…. half wanting to distract him from what he must have just saw and what she just said about the key.

If Vasin had no objections, Kelski would move with him and the mule, retracing their steps to the entrance which luckily was easy for the mule to navigate. Before she did anything else, while they were at the entrance Kelski gave Vasin a task while she was gone. “Write him out a rough map just in case we need help. That way he will have some idea of where we have gone.” She asked, hoping he had the supplies and ability to do just that.

Then, without a thought, the Kelvic left the mule and the young man just inside the entry to the partially collapsed basement and stripped out of her clothing in front of both of the males. Stashing it within her backpack, she stepped into the light of day, tossed the backpack into the air, and shifted. She dissolved in a swirl of colored lights, and reformed into the shape of a Sea Eagle. Her wingspan was enormous – about seven feet, as she struggled to climb into the sky and catch the backpack at the same time. The move was obviously practiced as the eagle banked, labored to gain altitude, and took off towards the east to where the coastline was.

No more than a half hour would pass before the trotting of hooves would sound and a mare bearing two riders would pull up. One was redressed in clothes meant to explore. One was obviously the Drykas in question. Kelski would call down to Vasin to bring up the mule, and introductions would be quickly made.

Then, with Anja taking the mule home and seeing to his care, Kelski and Vasin could get back to their adventure without the worry of the mule’s care in the forefront of their minds.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

As Above So Below

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on February 1st, 2019, 2:49 am

It had not taken any convincing for Anja to come with Kelski. The man was as much Drykas as he was Eiyon, and the thought of any animal suffering, let alone one with hooves, was deeply upsetting to him. The echo of hooves was followed by a flash of pale white fur, and both Drykas and Strider arrived with Kelski in tow. Anja dismounted swiftly, and smiled a kindly greeting at the man introduced as Vasin, and offered his own name as well as that of his beautiful white mount. Maisa was undecided on the stranger, but she at least had the grace to be polite while experience with the man was absent. Anja's focus was primarily on the white mule however, and when presented with the creature he frowned and offered his hands to the creature, allowing it to inhale the scent of horse, wool, and grass.

“You've had a rough time of it, haven't you?” Anja asked the creature. “But you're a big, strong boy. Nothing that you won't be able to handle.” Once the mule had familiarized himself with Anja's scent and seemed comfortable, the Drykas would gently take hold of his halter and lead him away from the underground.

“I'll take your friend to the Gem,” Anja told both Kelski and her adventuring companion. “We can see if we can do something about those wounds. At the very least he'll feel better with a belly full of grass.” Maisa snorted her agreement, and with a wave and smile Anja headed back in the direction of the Gem, with the mule placidly in hand and Maisa trotting watchfully after. “Good luck,” Anja called to the pair over his shoulder. “Be safe.” And with that, he would soon disappear from sight.
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Words: 298384
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next