Open [New Years Eve Party] Music, Storytelling, and Dancing!

Grab a partner and dance the night away! Use this thread to ask someone to dance!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[New Years Eve Party] Music, Storytelling, and Dancing!

Postby Kelski on February 7th, 2019, 3:17 am

Timestamp: 92nd of Winter, 518 A.V.

The Master Bard and Slag Heap Players had been doing a good job providing music for the crowd to dance and eat too. But even musicians needed a break. Calling a halt and laying down their instruments after a few sets, and Maurice Wultz stepped forward. In his best theatrical voice, he stood up on the stage and gave a little talk.

"Dance! Drink! Feast! Be merry! Our delightful host - The Midnight Gem - have requested we let anyone come preform who wants to perform so we can fill our respites with music and have no lack of entertainment this celebration. Our first break is upon us, and we're glad to welcome our host and her good friend Mosa in a violin duo. Dance! Enjoy it. They aren't half bad, especially Mosa. Her old hands don't get to strut themselves too often so this is a rare treat indeed." He said, then the musicians exited the stage, and several helpers roamed around dimming the lights and instead lighting candles along the stage that flickered and cast shadowed light up onto it.

Kelski stepped out, her hand on the elbow of an elderly Denval survivor named Mosa. The Sea Eagle Kelvic cradled a black violin in her arms along with its bow while the elderly seer cradled one that was pale in comparison. The teacher looked at her student, and together the two women raised their bows. It would be music to dance too, that much was clear enough, as the elderly woman rippled out an stunning full throated tune. Kelski's darker deeper violin answered, and the women were sawing away, laughing at each other as their violins wove melody in and out of each other. Kelski wasn't Mosa's equal by a long shot, but the older violinist could carry any new person and cause people to forget about notes dropped or sawed wrong on the instrument.

Their toes tapped, their hips rocked, and the two women moved around each other in way that reflected the weave their instruments crafted. In the audience, women and men paired off, arms clasped, bodies moving, and the party continued. Men asked women to dance, and women gave men flirty coy looks inviting them to come ask. The two women played a long time... perhaps ten or fifteen chimes before it was obvious Mosa was growing tired. They closed off the song with a flourish, gave the stage back to the bard and the singers, put their instruments up, and Mosa went to tell fortunes. Kelski split off to join the dancers, looking around eagerly for a partner.

She ended up at a man dressed in knitted chain mail's elbow and tapped his arm quietly. "Would you like to dance?" She said curiously, hopeful, not wanting to miss out on the party.

OOC :
This is a good chance to dance or perform. Ask someone to dance! Chat as you do. Do you play an instrument? Take a turn on the stage and perform. You don't need to have a lot of skill points. Everyone's gonna be drinking and no one will care if you are out of tune. Sing if you'd like... or give the musicians a break and tell a story! Make a toast! Have fun and be creative. But above all INTERACT!
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelski on February 23rd, 2019, 10:04 pm

Kelski took a little bell and chimed it as she climbed up onto the stage. The Kelvic in her costume was something of a commanding presence, only that her pale skin and striking eyes illuminated her now-white hair and caused her body to gleam. She looked fully Konti in the costume, though in truth she was darker as a Kelvic, less lit from within. But it was a night for such things and she was taking her cues from Maurice who himself had an enormous on-stage presence. She pulled something from her pocket, a gleaming ring with a red jewel, and slipped it on her finger kissing it. And for a moment – the remainder of that day - she transferred her Mastery of Jewelcrafting into a Mastery of Storytelling for that moment and for that purpose of honoring the God she’d made such promises too.

“I thought it would be a good time for a break for everyone. I have made a promise to tell a story, and to spread awareness. My story won’t drag on, but you’ll want to hear it. It’s one of those that once you know the tale, it will stick with you and effect you in ways you will only begin to understand.” She said in a voice pitched to project out across the audience. She didn’t know most of the people here, but relying on those she did know, Kelski let her eyes rest on some of her fellow Kelvics and even Gilthas for courage. The rainbow man in the building also gave her comfort, so she let her gaze and smile rest on him. Finally taking courage, letting the confidence that her story would be heard fill her, she stepped forward and began telling it.

Her voice pitched for the crowd and rang out perfect, its inflections pleasant and alluring.

“The story starts two thousand years before the Valterrian when The Gods of today were not exactly like the Gods of those days. There were more Gods then, less killing, less betrayal, and the world gates worked easing travel and making the world more connected. People were not aware of their mortality and were softer due to their comforts. The world then felt smaller, more crowded, when one could step through a stone structure and be in the deserts of Eyktol in less than a chime. In those days, there was a God that even in those days was considered old. His name was Xhyves, and they called him Farseer for he looked far off into the distance and could see the possibilities. Neither good nor bad, many worshiped Xhyves and looked to him for guidance in decisions. Certainly, the leaders of The Suvan Empire and Kalea used his power as they could, for he could see the possibilities of their actions and anticipate the outcome based on those possibilities.” She said, taking a breath.

“The Farseer looked into the future one day and saw The Valterrian. He saw too that he would not survive it. It is a hard thing, I think, staring into your mortality and knowing your end was coming. Especially, perhaps, for a God. But he was not deterred. Most Gods aren’t. And so, he started combing the possibilities of how he could survive it if he were not alive as a God is known to be alive for such a thing. And in the way of Gods he fell upon a solution in the hearts and stubbornness of man. He found a bloodline, a prolific one, that was full of creative strong-willed stubborn intellects that had such spirits that would not quit, ensuring that they would more than likely as a family survive the Valterrian. Once he identified this bloodline, this family, he started to watch them and plan.” Kelski said, moving back and forth across the stage. Her voice was luminous, her eyes fierce, and she glanced out over the audience and suddenly saw a familiar form in the back – a tall man with dark hair and bright green eyes. She only saw a glimpse of him before the milling crowd pressed closer. Was it? She wasn’t sure, couldn’t be sure, but she hoped he somehow knew…

“Xhyves also rules Transcendence. That is, the ability to rise above your circumstances… to go above or beyond the known normal or expected. He would not give up. And so he found a way to transfer his power, his very essence, into that bloodline knowing it was a chance and a slim one at that – that his power and indeed who he was as a God would survive hiding within the bloodline of this family and make it through the Valterrian to where he could re-manifest and come back to himself to progress further through the world and rebuild his strength in his realm of influence.” Kelski intoned, throwing her voice wide.

“And it worked. He performed the miracle and transferred himself into a bloodline. And then he left his creatures, the Gasvik, who were immortal winged bat creatures that start out as small as your hand and grow slowly over time… he left them as the guardians of this bloodline. Two thousand years passed, the Valterrian happened, and his bloodline survived. The plan was the Gasvik would awaken his power and free his essence from the bloodline when the Valterrian was over. But they lost track of the bloodline…. The Valterrian was a terrible time. People died. The world erupted in fire and changed drastically. And so the Gasvik lost their charges and have been searching ever since.” Kelski said loudly, her voice sweeping across the crowd Masterfully. Then she lifted her hands, brought them down, and swished them out dramatically.

“Seven years ago, a Miracle happened. The last surviving member of Xhyves’ chosen line was rediscovered by the Gasvik. Powerful, determined, but the absolute last of his kind…. The Gasvik freed their God and Xhyvas broke out into the world; whole and healthy. And now… he walks among us, showing us the possibilities of the world. Recently… very recently… I met him. And he aided me to see what was possible. Our future is not set in stone. We can make our own fates. Every little action has a reaction… a consequence. He showed me that. And if you weigh your steps carefully, you’ll open yourself up to the Possibilities the future can hold. Just look at us here… we are from all over the world, from all walks of life, from all different corners of Sunberth. Most of us were strangers before tonight. But we came together… peacefully… and we celebrate the future we can have. That’s a precious thing, here in Sunberth, to even remotely think we can have a future. He showed me that. And in return, he only asked me one thing.” She said dramatically, drawing out the word, pausing…. giving people a chance to wonder what he had asked of the hostess.

“He asked me to tell as many people as I could that he has returned… about who he is… and what he stands for. Because Xhyvas is back in the world, walking among us… we can have hope that struggles and difficulties can be overcome… that we can Transcend. His name is Xhyvas. And I give thanks he walks among us again... thanks to Him, The Bloodline One, and his Gasvik that caretook them.”

She said that last part quietly, reverently, as if it were more of a prayer than a fluid ending to a speech, and with that she turned the stage back over to the musicians who seemingly enjoyed the break and the pause in their playing. Most of them were busy drinking ale and cider, and grabbing quick bites from the buffet.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kynier on March 1st, 2019, 1:20 am

There were very few reasons in life for a person to want to dance, yet, there were also so many opportunities for them to. It was the fear of it all that prevented them from doing so. That was why music had so much power. It could not banish anxiety or distress, but it was able to bring out something else to overpower it. That was something that Kynier could not put into words, that feeling that music evoked from people. He would wager that not even the Master Bard Maurice could put it into words. It didn’t really matter though.

It was a gift that was being given to them. One that Kynier chose to utilize without hesitation or concern of judgement from others. He danced to the songs that those on stage chose to perform. Often closing his eyes to let himself be caught in its rhythm and moved by their melodies. The ensembled of masked and disguised people kicked, jumped, whooped, and cheered to the songs that moved their bodies. Kynier showed no restraint to his enthusiasm and was one of those people. People did not know who he was, giving him no need to fear social scrutiny for dancing and flailing his limbs like a fool.

Then the music stopped, leaving a mass of people working to catch their breath waiting in anticipation. Maurice spoke of opening the stage to anyone wishing to use it. First to take the offer was to be their host? Kynier propped up onto the balls of his feet to get a better look at the stage as two violinists climbed onto it. He recognized the Denval survivor from her posture as well as her gait. From a distance, Kelski was completely unrecognizable. The crowd waited in a hushed manner as the two women settled themselves.

When the first stroke came, it instantly enthralled the mass of dancers. For a moment, Kynier listened with half opened eyes to the melody that was given to them. The passion to dance was built like a fire, and each note was a new stick added to the flames. Small movements of the hands and feet were displayed first in his dance and it worked like an infection in the crowd. Spreading throughout until everyone was once again moving to the instrumental music. No one cheered or made their own vocalizations, lest they disrupt the song being performed.

Unlike a dance at the Bolt Hole, there was no need to be stationary. Kynier moved through the crowd with his merry movements. Pairing up with both men and women, for sometimes it was impossible to determine sex under the costume. Other times sex was all to prominent to not tell. Light glittered off the glass plates on his tunic, causing the colors of his glass plates to appear to change as he moved from place to place. He danced for a while with several women, one in an entirely black outfit with a black rope tied to her waist that hung from her back. Another that wore dark clothing with fiery embroidery covering her entire dress and mask. He danced with men that wore masks with long beaks like oversized birds with feathery adornments. It mattered not to him.

With the flourish of the violinists, he stopped. His breathing was extremely labored and his whole body was beginning to glisten with sweat. Kynier joined in on the applause of the two performers until the Slag Heap Singers came back to the stage. Kynier took the time to grab a beverage to refresh himself. The night was still warm, and a heat was radiating off the crowd as it continued to dance. He skipped the current song as well as the next one to cool down. When he was ready to go back at the end of the performance, there was a jingle of a single bell. Again, the crowd fell silent as Kelski took the stage. She mentioned a promise to someone about telling a story before her gaze shifted through the crowd, smiling at individuals, before her eyes fell on him. Something about those eyes being on him made him smile. Kynier sipped on a glass of cider as he listened to the tale she told.

A god that foresaw the Valterrian and chose to hide from it? Kynier felt an annoyance that grew to anger at the notion. If the god had foreseen such a cataclysm coming, why had they done nothing to try and prevent it? Civilization had been destroyed, gods had died, and gods had fallen. He took breath to calm himself and listened to the rest of the story. Gods seemed more like mortals that he had given them credit for. Knowing a disaster was coming, the god worried about his own survival. It was impossible to say that he, a mere human, wouldn’t have reacted the same way.

Kynier stood there, pondering over the story after their hostess took her leave of the stage. People were beginning to meander over for some food and beverage. Kynier quickly finished his cider and gave the empty glass to one of the hired helpers. Going against the current, he made his way over to the stage. Reaching into his pack, he pulled out the moonsilver oboe. His heart jumped a few beats in anticipation of the next course of action he was going to take. Not many people remained to dance, which suited what he intended just fine.

Approaching the stage, Kynier veered to speak to one of the stagehands. He gave instructions for how he wanted the lighting to be during his performance, and that he was going to a soloist. They agreed and went about setting the atmosphere for him. The lights furthest from the stage were dimmed as low as they would allow, while those closer were given more fuel to burn brighter. Kynier walked to the center of the stage slowly, his heart hitting his sternum twice between each step. Hands clutched the silver instrument tightly in nervousness. When he stood at the center, he took a few steps to be closer to the edge of the stage.

Some people were watching expectantly with a beverage in their hand, or food in their mouths. Kynier took a calming breath and closed his eyes. He sought the feeling of the song in his heart as he set his lips to the reef. He blew the first note, a whole note that was lower in pitch. As the air vibrated with the sound, each fire within fifty feet turned to silver flames. The light gave his outfit an scintillating appearance as it reflected off the colored glass. Kynier brought forth a song he had heard several times from his youth, performed by a musician he dearly missed. He poured that sorrow into the song, giving the music more life.

The melody was slower and would not serve well for dancing. Though, it was fortuitous that their hostess had spoken of the Valterrian, for the song he played was an old one that had been passed through the generations about surviving the apocalyptic event with loved ones. The magical instrument empowered his ability to perform and instilled a calming sensation to those within fifty feet of the stage. After the first verse echoed across the crowd, a few individuals raised their voices for the vocals that went with the tune.

Hold me closely, my love,
I’ll always be here,
Though the land burns above,
The stars still shine clear.

Withdrawn to the deepest dark, holding to precious life,
Finding cheer in skylark, disguising our strife,
For we’re quick to war, o’er what we may find,
Existing so poor, and pain to spellbind.

I’ll always be here,
Hear me turtledove,
Let me save thee from drear.

The old world may be gone, lost in heaven’s fury,
Raging for an age long, despite all our plea,
I know my world remains, here in my embrace,
Sheltered in Mizahar’s veins, and by mortal grace.

I’ll always be here,
You will be the first of,
The coming Frontier.

Kynier held the last note for as long as he had breath, allowing it to gentle fade to silence. When the song ended, the fire returned to their normal hue, and the closer audience members were alleviated of Leth’s soothing power. At some point during the song, a few tears had rolled down his cheeks, for he felt and heard the song more than he had consciously played it. And instead of the audience, he had heard his mother’s voice. Sniffing once, he took a bow at the edge of the stage before departing for whomever chose to go next.

When he was back on the ground, he stowed the oboe away and wiped the tears away from under the mask. Once did he clear his throat before entering the crowd, hoping to return to the gaiety of dancing.

Boxcode credit goes to Gossamer!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Kelski on March 9th, 2019, 3:02 am

G R A D E S
Kelski

Violin +1, Performance +2, Storytelling +2

Xhyvas – Telling His Story, Violin: Playing To A Large Crowd, Mosa: Playing A Violin Duet With Her

Kynier

Dancing +1, Oboe +1, Performance +1

Oboe: Playing In Front Of A Crowd, Xhyvas: God’s Story & Domain

PM me with questions or concerns.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)