OOC Info A Profusion of Rum and Coconuts!

Post all Syka OOC chatter, questions, and comments here.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Profusion of Rum and Coconuts!

Postby Gossamer on June 3rd, 2019, 10:29 pm

Not a silly question, Sophia.

Think of it as a weekend challenge with a time limit. There is indeed a time limit on seasonal challenges. They need to be completed by the last day of the season, not started within the season and finished whenever.

I am letting another player retro get approved because she had everything done. If you had everything done.... or close to it... let me know and I'll give you the same situation for the medal and prizes.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 4th, 2019, 12:02 am

Just so you know, Kamilla and Finn both wrote over 25K last season so they are getting to pick prizes from some of my last weekend challenges.

This could be you!

Also, Kamilla earned a Seasonal Challenge Medal!

Congrats!

If I missed anyone let me know.

Goss
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sophia Sunshore on June 5th, 2019, 6:45 am

Congrats Kami and Finn!
And super well done on the medal Kam :)
I need to step up my game in Summer!
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Words: 193757
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2018, 5:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Ines on June 27th, 2019, 10:05 am

I've posted an open thread for anyone who would like to join me in figuring out why the ants have marched into Syka. :)
Ines
sexy dracula

Words: 152937
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 28th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Hey folks.

It seems some of you haven't read the Codex. I wrote it for a reason. Read it. I posted the section in question below in case you missed it.

Clothing is optional everywhere in Syka - especially on the coastal side of town. In the jungle, barefoot and bare legged is probably suicidal due to the sheer amount of snakes, scorpions, ants, and other biting things.

If I see you staring at naked women, as a dude, or spending entire paragraphs comparing your junk to someone else's junk... in thread... I will send an NPC or PC after you to hack off said junk. I can even bring my PC into it and eat you. She's big enough to do that. A nude society is not a society of pigs. It's a society of chill.

Goss

✨Fashion✨

Syka is probably the one place on Mizahar where there is a melting pot of cultural dress that tends to bleed into virtually nothing after a settler arrives. Fashion is prevalent in many cities and often one can be identified by one's clothing as to where one originates. That is true almost anywhere except Syka. Syka's residents have two modes of dress that reflect the dual nature of the settlement. ImageOne mode of dress is minimalistic. Nudity is not an issue in Syka first and foremost due to the extremely warm climate. Heat can be oppressive especially after a rain storm. Feet, on the beach and within the main settlement itself, are often bare or just minimally covered with leather sandals or basic wraps. Swimming nude is common and often both men and women forego any garments on their upper torsos. Shorts and wraps are also common in both males and females. Most residents sleep unclothed completely.

When venturing into the jungle things change. Heavy boots, leather pants, and even long sleeve shirts are very common. Image Despite the heat, it is far more important that most of what one wears in the heart of the jungle is good quality leather. From boots to gloves to even a head covering, leather is important to keep out claws, fangs, bites and a whole host of other things that could harm one - including accidental scratches. To this end many Sykans dress in layers and the deeper in they venture the more layers they have on. The further out to the coast and eventually to the beach itself, the less they wear.

To this end rugged and roomier packs are very common. Not only do they house food and water, but they often hold the comfortable changes of clothing and the very necessary rain slicker or poncho made of well oiled canvas that every resident needs.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on July 7th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Hi Folks.

We need to talk. I love that all of you are threading, but I see a really disturbing trend I want to nip in the bud before it gets too far along. That trend is Wilderness Survival of below Expert. According to the WS Guide in the Wiki, this is how the regions pan out.

ImageOut of character note:
The following list is a region by region notation of what skill level is required to survive in the various regions listed. Eyktol E+, Cyphrus C+, Sylira C+, Taldera (Forest) C+, Taldera (Arctic) E+, Kalea M+, Falyndar E+, The Suvan Sea C+, The Outer Oceans E+

See how I've bolded the Falyndar part? See how its EXPERT +? That means all you novices and competent wandering around in the jungle alone or with each other without an E+ with you are dead. Let me say this slower. If you have a less than 51 in Wilderness Survival and are out in the jungle by yourself or among the other non-E's, you are dead.

Dead.

If I catch you out in the jungle by yourselves without an E+ I will step into your threads and kill you. You will get bitten by one of the hundreds of variety of pit vipers, poisonous scorpions, poisonous spiders, poisonous centipedes, plants, or big predators. They are literally all over the place. You need to be using one of the NPCs (which are all free to use) to make EVERY one of your trips into the jungle a learning experience. You can't bumble around in the jungle by yourself over and over again until you are safe and happy with a high WS.

I did this myself with my PC. I expect no less of you. Every one of the NPCs is free to use. If they don't have a high enough WS, they are the type that live in the Tidepool Bar or don't ever leave the safer fringes of the beach. None of the Verusk count either. They came from a desert world and are woefully unprepared for jungle living even though ultimately they are supposed to be jungle creatures. As time passes, I will bump some of them up to a more reasonable WS level, but that's only after time has passed and they have had a chance to learn.

In the mean time, you have been warned. You know I will make at least one of you an example - probably the one who mentions his slong in every one of his threads - but I don't mind killing off stupid nice players who have thier PCs where they shouldn't belong.

When you walk into a jungle, you loose all sense of direction. You can't see the sky because of the canopy. The vegetation is so thick you can't see much in front of your face or even a few feet ahead of you. Walking is tough. It's muddy, wet, and miserable. The vegetation is full of things that will kill you in a heartbeat without warning... and most of them you won't see coming. It is impossible to survive - even you witches - without the skill level because even if the animals will leave you alone, the terrain which doesn't give a shit about what marks you have by the Gods - there is no god of Terrain remember - will kill you. There are sudden storms that cause sudden floods. There are all kinds of landslides, mud pits, and pre-valterrian creations (if you've read the link map you know this).

I'm tired of you all IGNORING the dangers of Syka and frolicking through the jungle. I really am. This is fantasy realism and you can't just wander on your own. You need serious adult expert supervision. So take another expert PC or NPC with you if you are in the jungle and if you are currently caught with your pants down already in the jungle being bad, I suggest your very next posts has an NPC stumble upon you to helpfully guide you through your trek.

When we are all on the same track, playing realistically and nicely, I will reward you with a few of these moderated threads starting in Syka. If you ignore this OOC Note and don't clearly define your PC is in the fringe just off the beach and even hint you are in jungle... expect death as soon as anytime this week.

Goss
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on July 7th, 2019, 11:30 pm

This thread: Syka Housekeeping - Loans & Homes has been updated. Please read the original post and post in the thread accordingly or update current posts. I need links and little mini ledgers. The thread explains it all.

This update is to reflect some changes on the price list with Gillar.

People are neglecting to post in this thread, make arrangements with me, or have posted too vague of information to be useful, so I want to make sure its up to date and correct.

If you live in Syka, you should have a post in this thread.

Thanks!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on July 11th, 2019, 1:03 am

Hi Folks!

I just wanted to pop in and say that this week is hellishly busy for me. I'm going to try and keep up mod posts and be in Discord to answer questions so carry on and have fun without me as much as you can.

Everyone can learn where things are in Syka. However, since Syka's level of expertise is high for the Jungle, some of the ruins and such are not accessible to everyone until they earn these levels. I also have about five methods of dicing/q&a/and random chartage to get you to discover things about Syka. I start out simple... feeding you locations you might not know about and if you do a good job discovering them, I often pop in and feed you a secret about the city in the course of these threads.

However, be aware you cannot stumble upon things on your own. That's never allowed. You need to clear things with me... even if its just a 'is this okay jen?' type question in discord each time you find something in a location you woudln't otherwise be in... or even if an NPC lets something spill you didn't know before.

If these are secrets you have already from other cities, more power too you. You don't need my permission to share them or pry them out of those PCs that have them. I'm only controlling Syka's personal secrets against PCs that want to know everything immediately (without earning it) because the city deserves to retain some of its mystery and let it go only over time.

Goss

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Torien Encinosa on July 11th, 2019, 12:49 pm

I had to do some math to help edit my postings. They were way off and I must now edit all of my ungraded posts. What I discovered was this:

An acre is about the size of a football field. Minus the end goals.
We are allowed to have FIVE acres. =D
(An acre used to be the size of land an ox could plow in a day)

So, if the beach to the first line of trees isn't even close to being one acre in some parts of Syka, An extent of 5 acres would be very very large. So I'm editing my posts to allow a length of trees from edge of the beach to the jungle. Lets' say 3/4 of the land from the beach to the jungle will be fruit trees to harvest from. Shade trees, pineapple trees..palm trees..tons of palm trees..grassy gnolls..etc. One layer of trees with barely a joining canopy. So before the jungle with 3 tiers of canopies is even reached, one is able to walk amongst trees or clearings amongst trees..trees that are found on the beach..and perhaps, the sands of the beach continue for a ways through these trees before they'd begin to turn darker and the trees of the jungle begin to meld where the expertise is needed to enter and survive.

What a relief!

Mind you, 5 acres would liably be squared off, and not extended to 5 football fields minus the end goals.

-A helpful nerd-
Torien Encinosa
Player

Words: 27317
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on July 11th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Huh. I don't know where you get your facts.

The fruit trees grow IN the jungle scattered about. There are several groves of bananas by the mill. There's no huge expanse of "safe" zone by the beach. There is a cobbled path and developed areas that are part of the settlement. These are safe "city" zones.

As someone that based Syka off of Panama and its jungles and beaches I can tell you about 90% of parcels are jungle....not some fringe forest weird crop area you made up. The jungles run right down to the sand and rock beaches.

Stop false facting people.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext