Weekend Challenge (7/8/9/10th June)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Jomi on June 10th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Late entry here to kickstart a plot thats been burning a hole in my brain for a while. :)

Character's Name: Jomi

Summary Of What Past Aspect Is Effecting Them and How:

Jomi was killed in 514AV while acting as a human shield in order for his bondmate to escape after a home invasion went horribly wrong. He returned as a ghost with the sole purpose of finding his former bondmate so he could continuing to love and protect her until her dying day. After years of travel he arrived in Lhavit with the spiritist Madeira Craven, who had promised to help him with his search. Jomi became worried that the spiritist was more interested in exploiting her ghost servants than putting them to rest. So in order to lessen the power she had over him Jomi began to sell her secrets to Rothsam, a rival spiritist.

All this backstabbing came to a head when Jomi discovered his bondmate has been living in Lhavit under an assumed name. Afterwards Madeira’s and Jomi’s relationship goes nuclear with a mishandled attempt to rid himself of the two competing spiritists and extract himself from the tangle of betrayal he wove himself. All in an attempt to continue his blissful existence with the person he defied death to return to.

In my thread Jomi will discover how his sentimental obsession with the past clashes with reality. He learns nothing was quite like the idealized way he remembered it, as his bondmate resists his return to her life. Slowly he realizes the woman he destroyed everything for has since moved on with her life, and no longer wants him. His death defying goal of reuniting with his bonded is over, and instead of fulfillment it throws his perception of life, love, and himself into chaos. In his attempt to return to the past he destroys his future, and it ruins everything.

Thread List(s) + Word Count: Do you love me Master, no? - WC: 4,009
Last edited by Jomi on June 15th, 2019, 3:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jomi
One more day would have been nice

Words: 234471
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2017, 7:55 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 11th, 2019, 12:47 am

Anyone care if I extend this out to a week long challenge and make it due by Friday night? Say 9pm PST? I sense general exhaustion, flagging spirits, and an urge to finish but no time to do so. Let me know.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Rohka on June 11th, 2019, 3:58 am

I care! Yes please :D
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Words: 428949
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kamilla on June 11th, 2019, 9:15 am

Kamilla Circe Gordon

While I managed to finish in time(just barely) I definitely wouldn't mind an extension to give everyone a chance to finish their stories, I've enjoyed the ones I read so far.

Happy Writing!

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Words: 592212
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 11th, 2019, 9:57 am

Consider it extended....

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on June 15th, 2019, 12:08 am

Okay folks!

You've had the week to continue this writing challege! We have a lot more finishers than we did before. Its still not too late! The challenge closes at 9pm PST. Write write write! Prizes will be announced this weekend.

Goss

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on June 15th, 2019, 4:09 am

The Challenge is officially closed! Good job everyone! I'll post prizes tonight sometime after I get done watching Captain Marvel.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on June 15th, 2019, 5:23 am

You can claim a cash award for your writing if you’d like. The reward will be 100 gold for every 1000 words written. Or you can select from the following magical items below. First, if you attempted the challenge at all – regardless of word count – you can select one of the items below. Those that wrote at least 2,500 words, can select two items. The high word count winner can select three items. Unless we have any last minute updates, that high word count is Anja. Grats! And thanks for playing everyone!

Magic Item List:

• Interior Mapper’s Set – This long map tube contains both a scroll and a small stone orb the size of an average fist. When the scroll is unfolded and the orb tossed into the air in the proper environment (underground in a cave, inside a building, within a sewer, etc) this magic item set will go to work. The orb will begin to glow and then will begin tracing the area around itself, roaming down corridors, through any open doors, cavities, etc and correspondingly on the scroll a map will appear. It almost takes on a sentience, some would describe as aspects of a bloodhound seeking out not scent but openings and fingers from the point of its release. The bigger the cave system or building, the longer it takes the mapping set to work. The scroll, itself magic, will expand in size to be inclusive to what its matching orb maps. The orb may pass by the owner and its scroll multiple times to get its map completed. When done mapping the closed system, the orb will return to the owner and hover growing dim. The owner can then pluck it out of the air and return it to the map tube. The Interior Mapper’s Set will not stop mapping until all aspects of the space are mapped. So one cannot recall the orb at any time. It must compete its work. Warning: If released in an unending non-closed system, this scroll will expand eternally and the mapper will not return to the owner since it will never complete its mapping.
  • Plant Tester – This magic item comes in the form of a lovely cold iron wand ending in a large gemstone that has color changing properties. It is a complex wilderness survival tool that will allow you to touch any plant that’s still alive or dead (meaning dried herbs work etc) and based on the color the plant tester turns will determine the value of the plant to the person holding it. If the stone remains a colorless grey (its standard color) then the plant has no value to the person holding the plant tester. The following colors stand for various things. And once the color turns bright in the color changing gemstone, then the user can touch the gemstone and get a firm idea in their mind as to what the plant tester is seeing in the plant. Keep in mind different parts of plants might have different properties (ie leaves verses roots, verses bark, verses internal meat) and those different parts might have different uses. Please note different users will get different results as well. Something that is poisonous to a human might be delicious to a dhani, for example.

• Red: Poison – touching will give the user an exact idea of what kind and effects
    • Blue: Healing – touching will give the user how to prepare/use the plant for healing and what it heals.
    • Green: Food – touching will give the user an idea of how to utilize the plant for food and its preparation.
    • Purple: Building/Crafting – touching will give the user an idea of how to utilize the plant for crafting or building.
  • Heartstriker Medallion – This large bronze medallion hangs on an equally bronze chain. It is decorated by magical runes on one side and a small mirror on the other. The medallion, 3x1.5 inches, can be used once per day. When one uses the medallion, they need only hold it in their hands and aim it to reflect the target in its small mirror. Once the target is reflected in the mirror, they need only whisper or think the phrase “Let me know thy heart.” And the reflection in the medallion (regardless of orientation at this point) will show what the target reflected in the mirror when the phrase was thought or whispered loves the most in that moment. This might be a person, place, or thing… sometimes even a concept. “Loves” may change moment by moment, so this item isn’t guaranteed to reflect someone’s lover or pet or even favorite food. It might simply just reflect a cooling breeze on an extremely hot day.
  • The Squire Square – This ordinary five by five piece of canvas appears brand new. It is edged with runes that glimmer along its margins like a sort of decorative trim. When a warrior has a dirty dull or in-need of a minor repair (such as a buckle replaced) piece of armor or weapon, they can wrap it up carefully in this canvas and wait one bell. After a bell has passed the weapon will be perfectly cleaned, sharpened and repaired. This item has unlimited uses, but cannot repair broken metal weapons or armor whose integrity has been completely destroyed. So, in essence shattered weapons, shields that are dented or cracked, or even plating cannot be fixed. Nor will arrow holes or gaps in chain mail be restored. But any leather item can be magically repaired to a new state of order.
  • Tanroa’s 5th Chime Ring – This plain silver ring is etched with a gnosis mark from Tanroa, Mistress of Time. Manufactured long ago by mages who were also priests and priestesses, this simple silver ring allows a user once per season to turn back time five chimes. The user need only whisper Tanroa’s name and then take a step back. As they step backwards with Tanroa’s name on their lips, time will simply rewind back five chimes in that instant.
  • Alizarin’s Regalia – This incredibly rare item is a thin membrane of what looks like skin etched with an inked stylized bird of prey – the traditional symbol of the Alizarin Team. The Regalia measure 2x2 inches and can be concealed anywhere. Crafted in ancient times within Ironrock by their powerful mages, these badges of honor were given to the most favored of the Alizarin Team creations to cease aging. When applied to the skin with pressure, the ink transfers from the membrane to the skin of the creature it is applied to and the aging of the creature wearing this magical symbol ceases. These regalia will transform any skin they are applied to into their form, covering pervious tattoos, brands, or scars. While designed for Kelvics, they will work on any sort of creature. Their aging freezes at their current age and they will no longer grow older. They are, however, not immortal as violence, disease, accidents, and anything else can kill them. These magical tattoos can be removed by flaying the skin from the body of the bearer.
  • The Feathered Serpent’s Egg – This small chicken sized stone egg has stylized feathers etched across its surface. It maybe be found in a multitude of colors. If held in one’s hand, the egg can do a level 1 Healing Gnosis worth of detection and healing of injuries as if it itself is a Mark 1 Healer. Upon receipt of this item, one must do a 1d100 roll with Gossamer witnessing it. If one rolls a 90 or higher, this stone will eventually hatch into a Rakanivas which will be loyal to its owner and have the properties of Rak’keli’s own Rakanivas’.
  • The Rod of Sentience - Looking like a small staff the size of one’s forearm, this object is a highly potent magical converter that will elevate the intelligence of any single living thing from its current level to the level of sentience. Plant or animal, after this rod has been used on a creature, the creature will have the equivalent sentience of a human with full speech capability. This is a one time use only item, and after its use, it will turn to dust and blow away even without a wind being present.
  • The Tracker’s Lodestone – Suspended on a leather thong, this ordinary lodestone will spin and sway just like a normal lodestone will, dancing in tune with the magnetic fields around it. However, if it is cleaned thoroughly and then a singular drop of blood from an individual is placed on the stone’s surface, that stone will tug into the direction of the individual whose blood ‘tuned’ it. The stone will not follow roads, streets, tunnels, or any serviceable path. But instead, it will point at the target directly. It will not stop its pointing until it is thoroughly cleaned again.
  • Shimmering Veil – This length of cloth, when hung at a threshold, will expand to enclose the entire threshold. Even odd shapes, such as tent doorways or large gaping maws of caverns are no problem to this item as it will expand to accommodate. Once hung and the word ‘expand’ uttered by the owner – expanding takes one chime after hanging to complete – this veil provides a shimmering barrier that is impenetrable by anything other than the divine. Air currents will pass through as normal, but otherwise nothing living or dead will be able to cross this magical item’s boarder. To remove, this item simply needs to be tapped by the owner and the word ‘release’ used.

Please post your prize choice below (make sure your entry is updated) and I'll add it to your SS thread. You have until tomorrow (Saturday) at Midnight PST to claim your prize(s).

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sophia Sunshore on June 15th, 2019, 9:19 am

I would like to choose the Plant Tester and the Feathered Serpents Egg.

I really enjoyed this challenge, thank you Goss!
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Words: 193757
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2018, 5:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kamilla on June 15th, 2019, 9:32 am

Kamilla Circe Gordon

I had a really tough time picking, especially with the opportunity for a highly intelligent talking cat... BUT, I’ve ultimately decided on...
-The Feathered Serpent’s Egg
-Shimmering Veil

Thanks again for the challenge Goss, I love how instead of giving me advice on building plots you simply motivated me to figure it out myself. Some real Mr Miyagi shenanigans. And congrats to everyone else! I thoroughly enjoyed your threads.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Words: 592212
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)