[Completed] The Halloween Challenge (10/27-11/3)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

The Halloween Challenge (10/27-11/3)

Postby Anthoni Cole on October 30th, 2019, 6:07 am

I'll accept the challenge! Anthoni will encounter a Mad Doctor/scientist, see lots of blood and bones, hear some very scary noises and probably visit a graveyard. I eagerly await my plot now and fear what may come of it for my poor Sunberther.
Anthoni Cole
Sunberth Street Rat

Words: 51153
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2018, 2:46 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kamilla on October 31st, 2019, 6:55 am

A bit late to it, but I'll try and get a thread out. The power will be out all day today, so might be a good headstart.

Elements:
Scary Noises, Monsters, Blood will be my main 3... Mysteries, Skeletons/Bones and Poison also make an appearance.

Blood In The Water
Words:4 070
Putting her new Konti form to use, Kamilla ventures into the sea near Syka to explore... Unfortunately the sea is not as pleasant as she might have thoughtand all sorts of dangers lurk beneath the waves. Duun Dun. Duun Dun.

I'm not proud of this one, but at least I completed it in time.
Last edited by Kamilla on November 3rd, 2019, 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Words: 592212
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on November 1st, 2019, 2:04 am

Items: candy, cauldrons, poison, the undead, ghosts.

The Hunger of Mama Jook= 5045

All the children in the Okomo Estates know Mama Jook, the reclusive grandma who will trade their trinkets for mouth watering candies. But when kids start getting mortally ill, our hapless Spiritist stumbles into the path of this sweet old lady and reveals the true horror behind the façade!

Dun dun dun!

In all seriousness this challenge was a lot of fun. Thanks for giving me an excuse to throw some undead at poor Mads. :p
Last edited by Madeira Dusk on November 3rd, 2019, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fabell on November 1st, 2019, 3:03 am

I'd like to join. Get a running start with Nano stuff at the same time!

I'll choose mysteries, costumes, ghosts, and curses.
Fabell
For in true love music doth sweetly dwell

Words: 11145
Joined roleplay: September 12th, 2019, 9:13 am
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on November 3rd, 2019, 4:37 am

There's one day left for this challenge. Many many many of you can write a 2.5K thread in one day. Get'er done folks! You have until 9pm PST tomorrow night.

If you have already completed your thread of at least 2.5K words, feel free to add it to where you or your group signed up! Link and word count appreciated.

Goss!

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ialari Pythone on November 4th, 2019, 4:54 am

Using this challenge as a chance to get back into things.

I will be participating with the following elements:

Ghosts
Poisons
Undead

The First Piece

Ialari FINALLY takes the next step in finding the answers she seeks to the question of who and what she is. She relives a version of her past and discovers that she has the capacity for some rather profound emotions; emotions that have the potential of ending her...as they already have at least for one piece of her.

Words: 5,051
Last edited by Ialari Pythone on November 4th, 2019, 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Words: 923994
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on November 4th, 2019, 4:55 am

Contest closed. Prizes will be posted tomorrow!

Ennisa - 5781
Autumn Rose - 2,534
Rohka - 3370
Baelin - 3981
Kelski - 6071
Dessarian - 4330
Asterope - 3609
Kamilla - 4070
Maderia - 5045
Ialari - 5051

Goss!

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on November 4th, 2019, 11:35 pm

Welcome to Gossamer's Cauldron!

It's a challenge to come up with new and more interesting magic items as a reward for a job well done. I'm pretty happy with this new aspect though. We are going to call it 'Gossamer's Cauldron!'. In light of the Halloween Challenge, we are all going to be brewing our own magic items. They can be as crazy or tame as you'd like them!

How does it work? It's easy!

You select one of your own personal items - it can be anything really that you already own (a dagger, your left shoe, a hairpin, a shirt, fluffy your pet spider, etc) and you toss it in the bubbling cauldron of brew. The cauldron is not hot, so nothing's going to die or drown if its a living creature. It's a magic brew. Your nice Isurian steel dagger will be fine... hopefully!

If you use a magic item won from another contest or quest, please make sure it is one you've already 'claimed' in thread and have been using.

Then, for every 1,000 words you wrote, you get to select an ingredient to add to your magic potion. If you wrote 2,500 words, always round down and pick 2 additional ingredients you can toss into the brew. The ingredients plus your item will stew for a while and when the potion calms, something will be at the bottom of the cauldron. The possibilities are endless and what you throw in there might not be anything close to what you get out of it. But try your luck anyhow.

If you don't want to play, you can opt to - as always - cash out and take 100 gold for every 1000 words you wrote. However, I think this cauldron will be a lot more fun than just a few simple gold coins.

And finally one more option. If you have multiple ingredients, say 4, you can opt to divide them up and make more than one 'magical brew'. You could take four items, use four ingredients - one for each item - and make four brews. Or you can take one item, use four ingredients, and make one brew. Or you could take two items, and toss in two ingredients with each of them and make two brews. The combos are limited to only the number of items off the potion ingredient list you are eligible to use.

Thus you can make more than one brew.

Each brew must have at least one ingredient in it but no more than the number of ingredients you earned. You cannot 'bank' opportunities to make something with the potion inside aka save it for a later date. If you don't use it, you lose it. Those that tried the challenge but did not meet the minimum word count do not get an opportunity at my cauldron.

You may only pick ingredients from the list below. You can use ingredients more than once. The ingredient list is as follows.

• A batwing
  • a vial of soulmist
  • A human bone - you pick which one
  • A lock of hair - you pick creature it is from
  • A flute
  • A mummified rat
  • A vial of blood
  • A vial containing a swirling storm
  • Fresh Brains
  • A bottled laugh.
  • A glowing lantern
  • A skeleton key
  • Grave dirt
  • Pure water
  • Candy
  • Cobwebs
  • A generic black mask
  • A candle (specify color)
  • A vial of poison
  • A wolf's tooth
  • Cinnamon
  • A blank book
  • A feather
  • A moonstone
  • A black spider

The following are the individuals as of the close of the contest last night and their word counts. I have taken the liberty to list how many ingredients they might choose.

Ennisa - 5781 = 5
Autumn Rose - 2,534 = 2
Rohka - 3370 = 3
Baelin - 3981 = 3
Kelski - 6071 = 6
Dessarian - 4330 = 4
Asterope - 3609 = 3
Kamilla - 4070 = 4
Maderia - 5045 = 5
Ialari - 5051 = 5

Write me a small paragraph IC where your PC walks up to the cauldron, tosses in their items, and stirs the cauldron. If you are dividing up your ingredients among various items, please make individual IC paragraphs for each attempt.

I will post the final product of your 'brews' after EVERYONE has posted their contributing item(s) and what ingredients they are using. That way, we don't get those waiting back and seeing what happens with others instead of picking now. Remember, this post must be in an IC type format... you walk up, add your ingredients, and stir the pot.

I hope you have fun with this! Any questions, just ask in chat or this thread.

Gossamer

Deadline: Ingredients and Items posts must be in by Tuesday Evening 9pm PST.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kamilla on November 5th, 2019, 12:08 am

An sickly green light bubbled ahead of her, nothing else visible in the only darkness of what she assumed to be a dream. It had to have been a dream, at least that was what she told herself as she nervously approached the light, discovering it to be coming from within a mysterious cauldron. She looked down and at her own body, making good use of the eerie light, and concluded once again that she had to have been dreaming, for she was herself. Gone was the pale skin and scales of her new Konti form and in their place were the familiar warm tan skin and long wavy dark locks that she know knew she'd inherited from her Chaktawe father. Turning her attention back to the cauldron Kamilla noticed a small table with an assortment of ingredients beside it, and with absolutely nothing else in sight, the mage decided to go along with her oddly themed dream.

Simply feeling that she should offer more than just the ingredients supplied to her, Kamilla looked down at herself, taking stock of what possessions she had brought with her into this mysterious dream. The most notable being the bladed iron fan dangling at her hip, she unhooked it from its place there and dropped the weapon into the pot, not hearing a single sound. Along with it, the mage grabbed the first ingredient she saw, a raven black feather, and nonchalantly dropped it into the cauldron, figuring that since this was her dream, her choices didn't really matter… and then she waited.

Item: Iron War Fan
Ingredients: Raven feather
Last edited by Kamilla on November 6th, 2019, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kamilla on November 5th, 2019, 12:16 am

Kamilla opened her eyes, feeling somewhat displaced but quickly realising that she was back in the mysterious void, eyeing the sickly green cauldron in front of her once more. She sighed, noting that this time she was in her Konti form, white hair, fair skin and scales, dressed in a beautiful white dress that she knew she did not own. "I must have picked the wrong ingredient." she mused to herself, no reverberations evident in the darkness.

This time she noticed that her Isurian crafted iron war fan was missing, and instead pulled a copper armband from her left arm, and silently dropped it into the glowing cauldron. Next game the ingredient… and this time, she chose a vial of what she knew to be soulmist, a substance she'd grown familiar with during her time apprenticed to twin ghosts on Sahova. She uncorked the bottle and poured the ghostly essence in.

Item: Copper Armband
Ingredients: A Vial of Soulmist
Last edited by Kamilla on November 5th, 2019, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes