Quest Ripple Me This [Quest Sign-up and OOC]

Sign up here to take part in the Seasonal Quest and discuss quest related content..

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Ripple Me This [Quest Sign-up and OOC]

Postby Hauk Tarn on November 4th, 2019, 10:00 pm

I would like to apologize to every one for taking so long to post. Its not an excuse but I have been slammed at work with little energy/inspiration to write. Things should be better for me as work lightens up, but I will try to keep keep a good rythem to post promptly and on time!
Hauk Tarn
Player

Words: 33753
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2018, 5:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Gillar on November 8th, 2019, 12:16 am

My next post for the quest will come either Friday night or Saturday. I am happy that everyone got their posts in however I have had to adjust my post for the late ones so there has been a bit of delay in getting it posted. This next post will be rather content heavy but will set the stage for the main story now that the setup is complete. I have enjoyed all of your posts thus far and can't wait to see what happens next. For those doing NaNo, there should be a lot for you to work with.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Caspian on November 14th, 2019, 1:57 am

Hey Gil!

I was wondering if you could confirm that immediately post-portal, the group is now in Taldera? Would Caspian be able to immediately recognize the people, clothing, buildings, accents/language, etc.? I noticed there wasn’t any snow mentioned in the post so I wasn’t sure (and is snow eternal and not seasonal in Taldera?).

Thank you for the amazing level of care and detail you’ve put into everything!
Caspian
Player

Words: 718261
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1)

Postby Gillar on November 22nd, 2019, 6:29 am

Sorry I missed this one, Caspian, there is a light snow but it's more a dusting; early winter. The lake is not fully frozen but there is ice in surface spots. It is cold but within the bubble-barrier you barely feel it. The sky is clear and the sun shines high. It appears to be midday. The entire sight appears pristine and pure.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Rohka on November 23rd, 2019, 4:51 am

Thank you! I was wondering the same thing as Caspian, and that description is really helpful.

I also figured I would ask a few things here instead of in a PM, in case it's useful information:

1. Rohka bought necklaces from Herman, the NPC, without knowing that they were maledicted items. Is this a realistic situation for Ravok? If not, especially due to the controlled nature of magic, I can remove it.

2. After having a conversation in Discord about accents, I wanted to ask: Could I edit Herman's speech to be described with a hint of Fratava, tons of hand gestures, and a nose that crinkles when he speaks, almost as if he's trying to unconsciously block out a persistent smell?

3. Again, with the nature of magic being controlled in Ravok, I realized that it might be a problem having Rohka learn Auristics from Lelia, her employer. Does this need to be noted in her SS? Rohka also has an unfinished flashback thread where she goes to the Institute to learn the magic. If there is a process I can complete for that, I can have Roh learn it that way as well.

I am open to whatever works! And I appreciate the time and words full of fun and learning.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Words: 428949
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on November 24th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Ah, got it! Thanks, Gil!
Caspian
Player

Words: 718261
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1)

Postby Gillar on November 25th, 2019, 12:37 am

1. Rohka bought necklaces from Herman, the NPC, without knowing that they were maledicted items. Is this a realistic situation for Ravok? If not, especially due to the controlled nature of magic, I can remove it.

This is not unusual in Ravok. There are always individuals looking to inject a bit of uncertainty into life within the city.

2. After having a conversation in Discord about accents, I wanted to ask: Could I edit Herman's speech to be described with a hint of Fratava, tons of hand gestures, and a nose that crinkles when he speaks, almost as if he's trying to unconsciously block out a persistent smell?

I have no problem with that.

3. Again, with the nature of magic being controlled in Ravok, I realized that it might be a problem having Rohka learn Auristics from Lelia, her employer. Does this need to be noted in her SS? Rohka also has an unfinished flashback thread where she goes to the Institute to learn the magic. If there is a process I can complete for that, I can have Roh learn it that way as well.

So magic can be learned from a small handful of sources within the city. The Institute is the primary source although it is controlled by the Ebonstryfe. Those who study there tend to either end up as members of the Ebonstryfe or even the Black Sun. Those who don't formally join one of those groups will likely work in tandem with them or at the very least, perform tasks as a condition of being allowed to practice magic within the city.

Individuals who teach magic, unauthorized magic, are rare and are constantly under threat of being exposed. Of course it depends on the type of magic as well. Auristics is a discipline that is considered to be lower on the list of dangerous disciplines while Reimancy is at the top. Magic that can be seen as dangerous to the city, the citizens and to the Ebonstryfe and Black Sun are deemed forbidden as far as unauthorized training/learning.

For the Institute, one pays their fees and undergoes orientation. This orientation involves agreeing to using magic in the service of Rhysol, The Black Sun and the Ebonstryfe. Using magic against any of those three results in execution. It is not sugar-coated. You will be killed outright for using the teachings of the Institute against any of those three or their interests. You agree to not teach such magic to those who are not authorized by the Institute. You will report any such violations to the Institute staff.

There will be an individual, who I will be adding into the NPC list, who is tied to the Plaza of Dark Delights. He is a powerful wizard who defies the status quo and who has the skill and ability to keep his presence hidden. I will get him added shortly. He demands high prices, not just in mizas, but he is capable of teaching quite a bit.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Rohka on November 25th, 2019, 7:06 am

Awesome! Glad to know that the happenings of Herman doesn't veer too far off from the lore, and I'll edit his speech asap.

Thank you for explaining how learning magic in Ravok works, I'd been wondering about it for a long time, and this is really helpful. It's good to know that I can write out the orientation accordingly and have her pay those fees... maybe even work up to joining the Black Sun.

The wizard NPC sounds so cool, I'm excited to read everything about him!

Thanks again, Gillar.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Words: 428949
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Hauk Tarn on November 26th, 2019, 3:54 am

The maladiction twist is great! its definitly a skill I want to have Hauk learn, so this might be my 'in' if he ever finds out.

otherwise, brief question regarding Fen - I wrote that Fen went with Hauk through the portal. Is that allright? I can easily edit it to have Fen stay at the temple if that is something that wouldn't work.

Just let me know!
Hauk Tarn
Player

Words: 33753
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2018, 5:15 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Gillar on December 26th, 2019, 12:30 am

Hauk, Fen going through is fine.

Ok all, while I am enjoying all of your posts thus far in this quest, the amount of time between posts has gotten a bit out of control. This latest round of posts consist of a single person thus far and it has been quite some time since that post. I know my last post was delayed due to Thanksgiving, being sick for a few days and being depressed from the loss of a long time member of my fur family, Bailey. I also understand that this time of year can be hectic for many of you in general. However, we need to get this quest moving. The Calendar and Winter Registration thread has been held up because I'd hoped the quest would be a bit further a long by now.

So, here is where we are at now. I am going to give everyone until Saturday night, December 28th, to get their posts in. Anyone who hasn't gotten a post in by then will be dropped from the quest and written out with credit given for what posts have been written. Those who do get their posts in can continue the quest with rewards and associated benefits for completing it reflecting their continued participation (those things will be rather special and significant).

I hate to have to do it like this but there are probably only 3 rounds or so left before the quest ends with the aftermath being significant to Ravok as a whole. It has been two weeks since someone posted. As your characters progress, you will have more and more influence over the environment you are exposed to which all coincides with the greater story. I do hope that the six of you who posted the last complete round will continue, one of you, Sevris, already has.

Good luck and I hope to keep posting with all of you in this quest.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext