Open A Busy Beach

Nico and Laira arrive, and in true Syka fashion, a party breaks out.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Busy Beach

Postby Laira Wells on December 10th, 2019, 4:22 am

01 Winter 519

Laira squinted as she leaned over the side of the wooden ship, feeling as though Syna herself was targeting rays of warm, dense sunshine from the setting sun into her field of vision. Moving her hand to shade her eyes, Laira could finally make out the details of the lush shore the modest Svefra vessel had just docked upon. The broad leaves collecting gems of water on their waxy surfaces were a vibrant contrast to the fine, sun-bleached sand grounding the boat from drifting back to sea. Compared to Sunberth, Syka was truly divine. Hues of orange and gold were captured in the waves lapping at the shore, bidding farewell to another passing day in paradise, and Laira was beside herself with awe.

Laira snapped back from the dreamy state after hearing some Fratavan orders barked at someone behind her, which she somewhat understood by piecing together, “Cargo… off… boat... now”. Turning around, she saw a tall blonde man, presumably the one who received the command, begin to pass large crates of goods to the other Svefra tradesmen, the rickety containers swelling with merchandise as they made their way onto the dunes.

Feeling quite useless simply standing there, Laira struggled briefly to carry both her backpack and quiver on her back, before grabbing her bow, and setting off down the ship’s ramp in order to lend her services to the sailors unloading. When she had secured passage on the ship, Laira had promised she would be an eager set of helping hands, yet it seemed as though she was simply getting in the way.

“Laira. There ya are”. The ship’s captain, a charismatic yet terse leather-faced woman, headed towards her with a basket full of bright, exotic fish, their intense reflectiveness causing their multicolored scales to appear almost metallic. Laira struggled to keep ahold of her bow as she took the basket from the common-speaking captain’s outstretched arms. “It’s time I put ya to work, land lover”.

The woman instructed Laira to follow the blonde man she had seen on the boat earlier to a bar up the beach, and she did so enthusiastically, as it gave her the chance to explore more of the flora. Still unaccustomed to the powdery sand, Laira somehow managed to kick up enough to form a thin layer in the bottom of her worn boots. From afar one would notice her walking in a slightly stranger manner due to this, not to mention the soft nature of the ground compared to the somewhat stony Sunberth leading Laira to apply a little too much force and sink in a bit with each footstep.

Having finally arrived at what she heard in passing was called the “Tidepool Bar”, Laira broke away from the blonde man (who continued to remain silent) and approached the man cleaning the countertop of a sparsely-decorated bar. Before she could open her mouth, his eyes quickly looked up to meet hers, and his face erupted with a lively smile. “You must be with the Bluepearl pod! I saw their ship dock here just a few chimes ago. I’ll take that of your hands...” The man reached for her basket and handed it off to what appeared to be a passing employee. “They come around here every so often, and tend to bring new faces when they do. That being said, welcome! Call me Stu.”

Laira, a bit overwhelmed by all the new information she’d been taking in, took a moment to respond. “Laira.” She blurted, before cringing and rephrasing. “Sorry, I mean... you can call me Laira. I think a few days on that ship scrambled my brain up”. She reached to rub her temples, as if to demonstrate she had a headache.

“It happens to the best of us,” Stu responded sympathetically. “Now sit, you must be exhausted from your travels.” Laira gratefully plopped down into a bar stool, and Stu pushed a mug of water towards her. “Let me know if you want something a little harder,” Stu winked as he said this, before adding “Can’t promise it won’t scramble your brain even more, though”. He chuckled jovially and picked up the rag he was cleaning with previously. Suddenly, his eyes darted up again. “What a treat! Another customer.”
Laira Wells
Player

Words: 14909
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2019, 9:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

A Busy Beach

Postby Nicomedos Smithgrip on December 10th, 2019, 7:37 am

1st of Winter, 519 AV
Nico had finally done it. He had arrived in Syka.

Nicomedos Smithgrip, an Isur from Sultros, had been traveling for years looking for the perfect place to settle down and start anew. After a failed attempt in Syliras, and many months of traveling in the wilderness, he had heard of this tropical paradise while stopping at Riverfall to restock supplies. There seemed to be alot of people in town eager to visit Syka, waiting for the voyage the next morning onboard the Veronica. One person in particular seemed especially excited, an elderly Chaktawe by the name of Mikjailo. Nico had run into him in the Zhongjie Warren while shopping for some more soap. Mikjailo was rather outgoing and was eager to share his retirement plans there: an easy life on the beach doing nothing but relaxing and stuffing himself with the local exotic fruit said to extend someones life. Some of what he said sounded pretty far-fetched, but intrigued Nico enough for him to want to know more. He asked the whereabouts of the captain for the voyage, and Mikjailo revealed he last saw the captain at the Kulkukan Tavern and Inn. Upon arriving at the tavern the innkeeper helped to point out the captain located at a table by the hearth, singing a song with his shipmates while strumming merrily on his guitar. Nico patiently waited for the song to finish before approaching him, then began, "Excuse me sir, my name is Nicomedos Smithgrip. I hear you are the captain of the vessel heading to Syka tomorow?"

The captain looked up from his guitar and inspected Nico with his cheerful blue eyes before replying, "You've heard correctly my young Isur! Captain James Chaliva at your service. That clipper out there is my Veronica. You looking for passage? And if so, are you looking for a nice vacation or something more permanent?"
Nico regarded James for a moment before responding, noting the pride in his smile but not able to pinpoint whether it was for his boat or for Syka itself. "I'm looking for something more permanent sir, I'm a decent blacksmith and would like to open up shop."
James's eyes lit up, "A blacksmith eh? I'm sure we could use some additional talent back home. I have to warn you though, the jungle isn't as warm and cozy as these locals seem to think." He nodded around the room. "If you find yourself unprepared it could be rather... catastropic." James' eyes focused somewhere distant, as if remembering a specific incident before snapping back to Nico.
"Is that so? Well I am no expert, especially in a jungle, but I'm not a pushover either."
James chuckled, "We'll see. We leave tomorrow at first light. See you then."

Nico thought back on this conversation while observing James bark orders to his crew handling the mooring lines and setting the brow. The brow. Nico had hardly noticed they had reached their destination and was now eager to get off the boat and onto solid land. He grabbed his large backpack with all of his belongings and got in line behind the rest of the passengers waiting to get off. While crossing over to the dock Nico was stunned by the sheer beauty of the beach. So used to the grays of Sultros and Syliras, and the greens of the forest, the vibrant colors of the vegetation bombarded his senses. Mikjailo was behind him and gently pushed him forward ,with a smile splitting his face, to keep him moving.

After regaining his senses, Nico decided it was best to quickly unload his effects so he could start exploring this wonderful new place. He started east, staggering occasionally as the effects of being out to sea wore off. He noticed tents sprawled randomly across the beach, and took that as a sign he could set his up anywhere. He found a location in view of some raised wooden houses and began unpacking. A few bells later his tent was upright, bedroll rolled out onto the sand, and a small firepit assembled with the rest of his gear tucked away neatly in his tent.

Enthusiastic to explore Nico headed back towards the dock and was surprised to find another ship moored. Walking past, he found Mikjailo in a swing hanging from a tree. He seemed to be enjoying himself. "Mikjailo!" Nico called out, "What are you up to?"
"Oh you know, just hanging around." Mikjailo replied with a cheesey grin. "Did you hear there is going to be a party tonight? The Founders want to welcome all of us that showed up today!"
"The Founders?" Nico had never heard the term before.
"You know Mathias, James, and Randal. The guys that run things around here." Mikjailo explained.
"James? As in Captain James of the Veronica?" James' pride made sense if he was one of these 'founders'.
Mikjailo nodded, "The one and only" then pointed, "You should check out the Tidepool Bar before the party starts. I just came from there and the owner Stu is a really nice guy and had alot to say about Syka."
"Thanks Mik. Will do. See you at the party!" Nico made his way towards the direction Mikjailo pointed.

"What a treat! Another customer." Nico heard as he entered the bar. Looking around he noticed quite a few people from the Veronica plus a few he didn't recognize. The man behind the counter was smiling and waving Nico over. Nico walked up to him and took a seat next to a freckled young woman. The still smiling man slid a mug of water towards Nico. "Welcome! Call me Stu. You with the Bluepearl pod too?"
Nico shot a look of puzzlement at Stu before remembering the second ship he saw at the dock. "Nicomedos. But please call me Nico. I arrived with the Veronica earlier today."
Stu's smile somehow grew at the mention of the ship, "Ah, James' boat! You hear we're throwing a party soon? I could use a hand taking a few casks to the beach. I have an Isurian Ale you can try for your help."
Nico noticed that Stu's grin turned mischievious and was suddenly aware a few patrons now seemed intent on their conversation. "I'll try the ale now if its all the same." Nico replied, suspicious of the outcome. Stu poured a mug and slid it accross the counter. Nico grabbed it slowly, still aware of the other patrons eyeing him, and took swig.
It was Isurian Ale alright, but something was different. It was just a tad more bitter and some sort of other flavor Nico couldn't identify. He sputtered in surpise, and Stu and the other patrons that had been paying attention erupted in an uproarous laughter. "Well what do you think Nico? Just like the stuff back on Sultros? I brewed it myself!"
"Not quite." Nico choked. Stu and what Nico now perceived to be the locals laughed even harder. Nico noticed the young woman he was sitting next to wiping some of his ale off her cheek. Nico's eyes went wide in embarrasment. "I am so sorry miss!" He reached out to help wipe off the ale, then quickly retracted his hand as he realized how awkward that would be.
Stu thumped a cask of ale on the floor next to Nico, then slapped his shoulder and ordered, still chuckling, "Better get to taking this to the beach friend, party is about to start."
Taking any excuse to leave his awkward situation, Nico hastily lifted the barrel onto shoulder with a grunt and barged out the door.
Last edited by Nicomedos Smithgrip on December 11th, 2019, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicomedos Smithgrip
Player

Words: 11180
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2019, 7:21 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Busy Beach

Postby Laira Wells on December 11th, 2019, 2:52 am

01 Winter 519

Laira glanced over her shoulder at the man Stu was addressing. He was certainly far older than her, yet clearly fit as a fiddle. She observed him stiffly as he sat down beside her, hoping her instincts learned from hunting would be fine-tuned enough to assess him accurately. Picking up her previously untouched mug of water and taking a scant sip of the crisp fresh liquid, Laira could tell the man wasn’t from around here. His unique coloring and particularly muscular arms indicated he was Isurian, and Laira deduced the man, apparently named Nico, was a newcomer much like her. In a way this was comforting to Laira, as she could tell herself (rightfully or otherwise) that Nico was feeling the same sense of disorientation she had been experiencing ever since she got off the ship.

Quickly her attention turned to the apparent practical joke Stu had decided to play on Nico. Laira narrowed her eyes slightly, sensing the change in Nico’s demeanor as he tried the supposed “Isurian Ale”. The sly expression on Stu’s face led her to peer into her own cup, as if she didn’t trust the contents of her own beverage. Suddenly, Laira felt a splash of cold liquid splatter her cheek and begin to trickle onto her shirt, and froze, soon realizing it was the ale that Nico had just been drinking.

“I’m so sorry miss!”

With a sour expression, Laira began to wipe it off, and noticed him start to do the same, yet at the last moment seemingly change his mind and pull away. As this all went down, the laughing amongst the surrounding patrons intensified, and Laira avoided eye contact as best she could. Stu softened slightly and handed her a fresh rag wordlessly before he attended to Nico.

“Better get to taking this to the beach friend,” Stu said, and Laira peered over to see him set down a drum of ale which she hoped was better than the one Nico had seemingly disliked. “Party is about to start.”

Laira returned Stu’s cloth with a curt, toothless smile while Nico rushed out of the bar noisily. She wondered where he was headed, for as far as she was concerned, the entirety of Syka was a big beach to her. Nodding to the direction where Nico had gone off in, Laira inquired, “What’s this party you were talking about?” Laira felt a bit strange asking, hoping she wasn’t inviting herself to some private event, but her desire to integrate into the area overcame her reservation.

Stu smiled. “You should go take a look, if you get the chance. It should be in the commons, just off of Swing Beach.” Seeing the look of confusion on Laira’s face, he clarified, “You passed it on your way here. Follow the voices and you should be just fine, kid.”

Laira nodded thankfully, before reaching into her backpack. “Oh, how much was the drink? I haven’t had such clean water in ages.”

Stu cocked an eyebrow incredulously. “You can’t be serious.” Seeing how Laira blinked back, unflinching, he went on, “It’s just our water, kid, and if you haven’t noticed, we’re surrounded by it.” Though Laira was tempted to correct Stu and assert the disagreeable salinity of the water, she understood the point he was trying to make. Slightly embarrassed for revealing the apparent living conditions of her former home, Laira forced a breathy laugh.

“Ha! Right, of course good water is free. Why wouldn’t it be? I mean good water is just the standard and I for one-” Laira caught herself before she rambled too much. Taking a deep breath, Laira simply said, “Thank you, Stu.”

Stu shook his head amusedly, sporting a knowing smile as he began to gather ingredients for another order. “Whatever you say. Hope to see you around, Laira.” She gathered her minimal possessions once more and got up from the stool. Waving farewell to Stu and a few half-interested patrons, Laira set off to find the Syka Commons. This task proved to be significantly more difficult in the limited twilight, and Laira soon found herself wandering in the vague direction of her destination, though clearly in need of assistance.
Laira Wells
Player

Character sheet

A Busy Beach

Postby Kamilla on December 11th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Winter had finally come around after what had been, without a doubt, the most confusing Fall season Kamilla had ever experienced. The entire populace of Syka had miraculously changed race on the first of Fall and had remained in their new forms for the entirety of the season, only switching back to their original race in the early hours of the first day of winter… seemingly everyone, except Kamilla. Of course she'd been panicked at first, having been told she'd regain her form when fall ended only to find that she remained a Konti.

Thankfully, things had turned out far better than she'd expected, instead of being stuck in her new form which she did like, or simply reverting to her preferred original dorm, Kamilla had discovered that, somehow, she'd gained the ability to switch before both, something that seemed unique to her so far.

Despite having missed her human form, Kamilla found her Konti form more useful, she didn't need to wear her trademark thigh high boots to hide her burn scar since they didn't exist in her fairer form and far more importantly, she could breathe water and swim through it with ease, something she'd grown to love during the previous season.

Currently, the Konti found herself stepping out of the waves and onto the beach nearby the docks, spotting an array of people either busying themselves with offloading the Veronica's cargo or making their way to the Tidepool Bar. Even from quite a distance Kamilla could spot a few unfamiliar figures, newcomers. Syka's population was small enough that new blood was rather easy to spot.

A short and thin purple skirt clung to her damp, sparsely scaled figure with a matching scarf tied around her bust, an almost invisible armband around her upper left arm, so pale that it would have been hard to spot against her equally pale skin if not for its almost ethereal appearance. The accessory seemed to hint at the nearby presence of something that Kamilla could only assume was a ghost, a sensation that had disappeared when the Veronica had departed for Riverfall a week earlier. Curious…

Kamilla made her way straight to the Syka Mercantile, she'd been near the ocean floor and followed the ship's arrival with her lavender gaze, noting the way it cut through the water from her viewpoint beneath. She wanted to be one of the first to take a look at the new stock, her cloth supplies had been running very low after the rodent problem from the previous season.

Her dealings with Juli had been quick, purchasing three bolts of material, in the colours red, blue and a soft green, which she immediately deposited into her animated wagon, Wally, before signaling for it to make its way to her home.

"There's a welcoming party for my father and the newcomers at the Commons if you'll be joining, I'll be right there myself as soon as I put away the new stock." Kamilla nodded in response to Juli, offering a polite smile and a polite smile and wave.

Following Wally along the Cobbled Pathway, it wasn't long before Kamilla came across an obvious newcomer, a dark haired young woman who was clearly wandering in search of something. She wasn't sure if the dark hair was just reminding her of her true self or if it was something else, but the sight of the lost newcomer created a small itch in the back of her mind.

Moving towards the woman, allowing Wally to wagon itself the rest of the way home alone, Kamilla figured it wouldn't hurt to offer the young woman a little assurance, while hospitality wasn't the usual for the mage, she had grown to appreciate Syka's sense of community and part of that was always offering to help someone in need.

"Don't look too lost, the settlement isn't even that big…" she began, hand on her hip with a small smile as waited for the woman to respond. By now her clothing was completely dry, though her light blonde hair was still a but damp. "I'm guessing you're looking for the party at the Commons? If so it's this way…" It may have been a bit presumptuous of her to assume the woman's desired destination, but there weren't many other possibilities, Syka was quite small after all.

If the woman chose to follow, Kamilla would make her way toward the risen structure, lights and laughter already apparent after a few steps in its direction.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Words: 592212
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

A Busy Beach

Postby Nicomedos Smithgrip on December 12th, 2019, 8:15 am

Dusk had fallen on Swing beach, the amber hues giving way to a swirl of violet sprinkled with the occasional sparkle of a distant star. Nico stood still looking out at the horizon, lost in the rhythmic percussion of waves on sand, skin glistening with sweat after delivering the weighty cask of alcohol to The Commons. The celebration of the Veronica returning home had already begun and a crowd had gathered rather quickly, perhaps to meet the new guests. Not wanting to make a first impression while visibly taxed, Nico excused himself for a few moments to cool off. Refreshingly chill water licked his toes as the last wave ebbed back, and Nico was suddenly aware of footsteps whispering towards him. Turning, he noticed a large man with golden hair, striking blue eyes, and a large drink strolling towards him from the immense bonfire Nico had passed while heading to the shoreline. Once he was only a few paces away, the stranger exclaimed, "An Isur! Why hello there friend! Why are you out here by yourself? Don't you know there's a party going on?"

Smiling at the warm greeting Nico replied, "Yes, I know. I just decided to take a breather real quick. I plan on heading back in a bit. Name's Nico. I just arrived today. Still trying to adjust to the beauty around here."

The stranger took a swig of his mug, and Nico could smell the alcohol on his breath as he responded, "Well yes it's quite obvious you're new, if you haven't noticed this place isn't quite swarming with people. I'm Artik, I take care of the forge around here. Typically Isur are pretty skilled craftsman, can I expect to see you around?"

Nico's eyes glittered with excitement at the mention of a forge. "Oh absolutely! I'm looking towards opening up my own business here as a blacksmith after I settle down." Embarrassment struck Nico as he realized the meaning his words may have had. "Oh! But I don't mean to take your job or anything!"

"My job no," Artik chuckled, "but my work yes. Swing by tomorrow and I have a few things you can do for me. Enough talk of work though!" He looked down into his mug, and sloshed the remnants of it's contents. "It's time for a refill! Come on Nico, lets get a drink." Nico nodded and followed him back towards the commons. The sand massaging his feet with each step.

Once they topped the wide stairway Nico was hit with sounds of merriment. Captain James had pulled out his guitar again and was surrounded by a small crowd dancing and singing along to a sea shanty Nico had never heard before. A warm breeze blew, caressing his physique and carrying a scent of cooked pork and sweet fruits. Artik hustled off to find himself a refill, and returned with two mugs, handing one to Nico. Nico eyed it suspiciously before looking back up at Artik. "What?" Artik questioned, "I thought you might like it. It's Stu's 'Not Quite Isurian Ale' tastes pretty good to me."

"Ah yes, Stu gave me a taste earlier." Now prepared for the taste, Nico took a big gulp. It was good. "Pretty close to the real thing. Gave me a start when I realized it wasn't. Accidentally spit it all out over some girl!" Nico began looking around, taking in all of the new faces. Then pointed, "Who's that?"

"Oh that's Ken! He's the lead tracker around here." Nico's eyes followed Ken as he made his way to woman leaning on railing, her auburn hair waving in the warm breeze. "He's also a bit of a lady-killer. Now you tell me about one of these newcomers you know."

Nico scanned around then pointed out a man dancing carelessly, his mug sloshing onto the floor. "That's Mikjailo. Met him in Riverfall. He's come here to retire and eat life giving fruit." They both continued to chuckle, watching Mikjailo approach a seemingly weightless young woman twirling around to the music. She smiled at the old man and they began to skip around together.

Artic noticed Nico's gaze lingering on the young girl and interrupted his thoughts, "That there is Rainmere. Pretty one isn't she? Definitely has a knack for dancing. Pretty good with a needle too. I'd say shes too young for the likes of you though." Nico blushed then turned back to Artik.

"Oh I wouldn't... I mean I don't..." Nico stammered before recollecting himself. "Her spirit just reminds me of someone I knew back in Syliras." Anxious to change the subject he looked for a distraction, then pointed again, "Oh! There's the girl I covered in ale! Never got her name though!"
Nicomedos Smithgrip
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Busy Beach

Postby Laira Wells on December 13th, 2019, 4:20 am

01 Winter 519

“Don’t look too lost, the settlement isn’t even that big…” It took a moment for Laira to register the fair-haired woman who had approached her, as her eyes hadn’t quite adjusted to the ebbing light yet. ”I’m guessing you’re looking for the party at the Commons? If so it’s this way…”

She couldn’t help but grin at the quip, and nodded briefly with a shrug before replying, “I thought I’d check it out. I’m actually new to Syka- I decided I needed a change of pace.” It seemed as though Laira didn’t realize the extent to which she likely stuck out like a Charoda in Eyktol to the Syka inhabitants, making it painfully obvious she was a newcomer.

Following the stranger’s lead, Laira soon found herself at the entrance of the Commons, a modest group already gathered beneath the main deck, all of whom were more new faces besides Nico, who she had yet to spot at the celebration but would likely be there. Looking to the woman for a validation of sorts, Laira scaled the broad staircase, where a more sizeable assemblage was helping themselves to the provided alcohol and assortment of snacks. With plenty of candlelight, despite the long shadows they cast, Laira was once again confident in her ability to not trip and fall on her face.

Though heads turned upon her arrival to the upper deck, Laira avoided any areas where she would be forced to introduce herself. Her main concern was the inevitable questions of, “Where are you from?” “Why’d you leave?” and so on. Closing her eyes briefly, Laira attempted to center herself and mentally respond, with the goal in mind of revealing as few incriminating details as possible. After all, gods forbid she was emotionally vulnerable or forced to confront her past relationships.

Be social, be likeable, Laira mentally reminded herself. First impressions are important. Don’t petch this up. First things first, she reasoned, it would be a good idea to peel herself away from the corner she somehow shuffled into. A safe bet for a new conversation partner was the woman she followed to the Commons, Laira thought, and set off to find her once again. On the way, Laira felt someone tap her right shoulder, and she turned around to a cup being placed in her hand.

“Oh, I don’t normally-” Her weak protest was silenced by a bright-eyed man who had handed her the drink.

“Loosen up a bit! You’re in Syka now, and here we do things a little bit differently. Enjoy…” He smiled and gave a small playful bow before he headed towards someone else, doing his best to keep the liquid in the numerous cups he was carrying from splashing out. Her previous words of self-encouragement echoed in her mind, and Laira bit her lip for a moment before convincing herself she should follow the man’s advice. Relax, Laira. This is your home now, so act like it

Lifting the cup to her lips, Laira swallowed a large mouthful of what she assumed was the Isurian Ale. Tearing up slightly at the strength of the homebrewed drink, Laira could understand the visceral reaction Nico had at the Tidepool Bar earlier. Speaking of, she scanned the area once again for the familiar face. As it seemed the woman who led her to the Commons was still at large, the next best shot at initiating a conversation would be with him.

By this time, more people had packed in, and it was difficult to weave between people to search for either of them. Even her slightly above average height was of no aid, but eventually, Laira spotted Nico. He was standing with another broad shouldered man, and the two of them seemed to be quite the rugged pair. Debating whether she should trek across the small ocean of bodies, a decision was made for her as she noticed Nico had gestured in her direction, his lips moving as he commented something to the man beside him.

There was no going back now, as she was fairly certain he would have noticed her staring and been justifiably unsettled. As she braved the crowd towards Nico, Laira began to feel an inkling of intoxication, albeit a mild and evasion sensation given the small amount of ale which she had consumed. In fact, she even appreciated to an extent the confidence booster, as Laira might not have otherwise dared to be so purposeful in the acquisition of new friends.

“Hey, we met earlier, didn’t we? I’m Laira.” Laira extended her hand towards Nico. “Sorry you had to leave in such a rush, I was really looking forward to connecting with another newcomer.”
Laira Wells
Player

Character sheet

A Busy Beach

Postby Nya Winters on December 13th, 2019, 8:40 am

The Talderian Forest Cat lounged in the back of The Syka Commons watching all the people mingle, play music, and dance. Nya liked people watching, though she wasn’t much for actually interacting. She didn’t have anything to say to them anyhow. Truth be told, she wouldn’t know what to talk about or even if they’d have the time of day for her. Forming words, anyhow, seemed strange to her. Speaking… was not her forte. There was a time, a while ago, where it had been second nature. But that was a long time ago. And that Kelvic was a far different one than the one she was today. The Ranger had come in to help unload the ship – something all the settlers tended to do – and had stayed for the feast. She’d donated an oversized python for the meal, though there were other sources of meat there too.

And she was hungry. Nya usually was. She could eat her weight in meat and not blink. And while her own cooking was terrible, there were people here that were decent cooks and she hoped to enjoy their skill while she was back in the settlement. It was a perk of helping to unload the ship… food; cooked food.

Nya had spent the last few seasons out in the jungle just being a cat. It had been good for her, running wild, hunting, and forgetting what it was like to be almost human for a while. Now though, she was wearing her woman’s shape and watching other humans interact. The settlement felt too busy to her… and a bit too loud. She herself felt small, weak, and vulnerable in the small crowd of people in her human skin. Sykans always felt the need to fill silences with words. They scurried about being busy and didn’t know how to truly rest and enjoy the silence after a hard day’s work. James had nodded his thanks at Nya when she’d joined in the unload, and later had insisted she stay for food. So she was here, but the awkwardness of it was uncomfortable and she didn’t know how long she’d stay.

She sipped water laced with pineapple juice and nibbled at some of the new fruit she didn’t know the name of. Nya was perched on one of the seats at the far edge of The Common area, enjoying the lofted height and the breeze the raised Common’s provided. Her knees were up on the chair as well. It was an advantage of being human shaped. One was so much more compact. She had one arm casually wrapped around those long spindly human legs, and her chin – when she wasn’t sipping at her drink – was resting on the top of her knees.

But she was aware she didn’t look like the other pretty women. She’d swam in the river that morning to clean the sweat of the previous night off. But she hadn’t bothered to brush out her long brindled hair. It would just tangle again. It hung loose with bits of the jungle lodged in it. Her clothing was passable but definitely not what one would consider nice. Her cotton pants were loose and the hems were long gone – worn off leaving her feet bare. Her cotton tank was too short and worn enough to have holes in it. She didn’t care. Odds are she’d lose it before long anyhow, leaving her clothing in the jungle and forgetting where.

Nya supposed she should go get some meat, because the smells of the roasting flesh at the Communal Kitchen was driving her hunger deeper. But leaving her relatively peaceful isolated perch at the back of the Commons meant she would have to wade through the crowd. She didn’t particularly care to do so. Growling in irritation under her breath and surly due to hunger, the Kelvic brooded where she sat, people watched, and tried to decide what the newcomers were about.

Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

A Busy Beach

Postby Ines on December 13th, 2019, 9:04 pm

After her lessons, Randal insisted on dragging her to the commons. They were to first help with unloading the ship. After that was said and done, it was time to party. The bat wasn't much in the way of a drinker, preferring to drink blood, which she could metabolize in either form - not that there would be any blood served here. Now that she was back in her real form, though, she could finally get the snack she'd been waiting for the entire season of fall.

Ines tended to have trouble integrating herself into parties, and it didn't help that Syka was having an influx of tourists from Riverfall. It had become easier to enjoy herself once she knew everyone's name. It didn't help that she had brought nothing to the party, either, nor that she was standing around wearing nothing but a loose shirt and a bright red bandana. Maybe if it had been just Sykans they wouldn't mind. She wasn't sure if she wanted to interact with them, anyway.

It didn't mean she wasn't hungry. The witch lingered by the feast, plucking food straight from the tables and into her mouth with her fingers. There was a lot of fruit and meat, and Ines normally stuck towards the meat, feasting on gamey flesh and fatty skins. With all of the new people around, though, she decided to take a chance, and tried some of the more experimental fruits. Her new favorite was the grilled pineapple, where the charred bits made the juice only sweeter. She'd have made a good fruit bat in another life. There were pitchers of juice everywhere, but once the bat felt the stinging from the pineapple on her lips, she realized why she stuck with meat, jerky, and water.

Against her better judgement, she reached for another piece of pineapple. The bat tilted her head back to drop the pineapple in - just enough that she noticed the woman's eyes boring into her. The gaze raised the hairs on the back of her neck. Another Kelvic? They were supposedly common in Syka, but she'd managed to avoid interacting with any of them. She'd never seen her before, though.

The bat dropped the pineapple into her mouth, finished gorging. Her eyes were green, bright and mesmerizing, with the pupils like a Myrian tiger. She was curled up, sipping a drink, and still felt like a predator. Ines blinked out of it, and then realized she had seen those eyes before. She'd met this Kelvic before, in passing, just before she had arrived in the settlement, but she hadn't seen her since.

The vampire bat approached, wary of the sensation that came from being eyed with a predator's gaze. She was curious. The witch placed herself in a chair to the side of the other woman.

"Hungry?" she asked, her Myrian accent only somewhat thinned since the Summer. "Maybe this food not your favorite. Not me either." The Kelvic watched the other from the corner of her eye. It wasn't until now that she realized how badly she had wanted a new friend since Ade was gone.

wc: 522
Ines
sexy dracula

Words: 152937
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)

A Busy Beach

Postby Jehu on December 16th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Jehu

The hunters emerged from the jungle near the kitchen, where the game could be quickly dressed. They had been hunting most of the afternoon into the early evening, Jehu with a thick, long python draped around his neck and a stringer of vom, while Indigo had a wanolo baboon draped over her shoulders. Their clothing was covered with the colorful stains, while some dried pulp and seeds still clung to their clothing and hair. Anyone who had encountered the wanolo would recognize the telltale sign of their signature mode of defense, fruit throwing. They had not taken kindly to the arrows and spears of the hunters.

Even before they broke into the Core, the Chaktawe and Myrian Dhani could hear the celebration. While spontaneous celebrations were not uncommon when the sun set on Syka, the silhouette of a familiar ship at the docks indicated the genesis of the party, the Veronica had returned. While the native huntress showed little interest in the gathering, Jehu was anxious to see who had arrived, and what had happened to the other residence. Just that morning, after a season existing as a Zith, Jehu found his fur, claws and wings gone. What had confounded him was the nagging void that persisted when the cursed physique was absent. He imagined after a while, such notions would wane.

The hunters made quick work of the game, skinning the snake, lizards and primate and hanging the meat to be used soon, perhaps even for the party, though Jehu was sure food was ample at the festivities. Indigo kept the wanolo's blue and white hide and took a share of the meat. She sniffed the air, then hummed quietly.

"The Talderian cat. She is here tonight." The exotic woman announced, almost to herself. Jehu did not know the solitary kelvic by that term, so furrowed his brow quizzically. Indigo offered nothing more, nor left room for questions as she gathered her gear and disappeared into the shadows.

Finishing his work, Jehu looked down at himself. His clothes were sweaty, grimy and splotched with the residue of flung fruit. Hardly suitable for a party. His tent was a ways south, and he had no desire to traipse all the way down there and back. Gathering his own gear, Jehu skirted the Commons and set his gear on a hammock on the beach, shoving his spears butt-end into the sand. He stripped off his boots and clothing, then ran down to the surf. His webbed feet were designed for travel on the desert sand, but they proved just as effective on the beach and the Chaktawe moved swifting into the water, allowing the briny water to rinse the dried sweat and fruit from his skin and hair.

Returning to the hammock, Jehu pulled a loincloth from his rucksack and wrapped it around his hips. He had nothing else with him, so barefoot and clad only in the loincloth and his tribal necklace, Jehu jogged up to the gathering of residents and newcomers. His coppery skin mostly dried by the time he reached the party, though his dark hair hung damp down to his shoulders.

Pitch black eyes scanned the gathering. Many familiar faces greeted him, much to his delight. It seemed about everyone had regained their actual bodies after the bizarre events of the Fall. All, it seemed, but Kamilla, who's light blonde hair and skin remained. There was a hint of sadness that her dark-haired, Chaktawe-like appearance didn't seem to return. Not for himself, but for her. But it made her no less attractive, and as they had already discussed, she had become more than willing to accept her Konti figure if they never changed back.

Among the newcomers was an interesting man, small of stature, but that was not what was curious. His skin was the pale blue of chilled flesh, and one arm was dark and strange. He spoke with a young woman who must have also arrived on the Veronica.

Only by chance did he catch the figure in the corner, the disheveled woman he had only glimpsed in his two seasons in Skya. Then, he knew what Indigo had meant. The Kelvic huntress who lived in the jungle had come. Now his curiosity was truly piqued as he watched Ines approach the standoffish cat woman.

Artik's boisterous voice raised above the din of the party, as usual, well into the alcohol and eager to ensure he was not alone. The burly Svefra thrust a cup of some dark beverage against Jehu's chest. "Desert man! I am soooo glad to see you are your old self! I swear, I had petchin' nightmares about that whole Zith thing you had going on. Creeped me out." he laughed way too hard at himself.

Jehu clapped the man on the shoulder, taking the offered cup. "Me too Artik...me too." With that, he made a hasty evasion of the drunkard, who was too soon distracted by the nearest female. The Chaktawe wove his way to Kamilla, unsure how to approach her apparent permanent Konti mien. "Hey, I've been out all day, have you met any of the newcomers yet." He posed, his gaze sweeping the crowd, again noting the kelvics conversing in the corner, the strange man with the dark arm, and to his surprise what seemed to be an older Chaktawe man.

Jehu
Player

Words: 85295
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2019, 9:53 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Busy Beach

Postby Nicomedos Smithgrip on December 17th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Nico's eyebrows began to climb as he watched the young lady approach him from across the deck. He realized he was still pointing, and quickly lowered his arm to his side. With each step the slender woman looked more and more confident, and Nico was sure he was about to get an earful about the events that had happened at the bar. He glanced over at Artik for help, but Artik merely grinned and dismissed himself, claiming he needed more to drink. Nico turned back to the imminent confrontation and mentally prepared himself for the worst, taking a large gulp of his stein and visibly scrunching his face in case she decided to slap him.

The woman finally stopped in front of Nico. "Hey, we met earlier, didn't we? I'm Laira." Nico peered though the corners of his eyes to see an outstretched hand, too low for the purpose of assault. Laira continued, "Sorry you had to leave in such a rush, I was really looking forward to connecting with another newcomer."

Nico held his stance for a moment longer until he was sure he wasn't going to be struck. Aware of the odd impression he must be giving, he slowly relaxed his face and grasped Laira's hand in a firm handshake. "Nico," he responded, "Sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to spew ale in your face. This Isurian ale is a little different than what I'm used to drinking." Releasing Laira's hand Nico took another swig of his ale to stall for time while he raked his mind for conversation starters. Settling on one, he asked, "So, where are you from? Are you here to stay or just visiting?"

While waiting for Laira's reply, Nico scanned the party once more for friendly faces. He noticed two feral looking woman at the far edge, one watching the group of party-goers with a rather voracious gaze, and decided it was best to leave them alone. He also spotted another, younger Chaktawe man arriving wearing naught but a loincloth. Despite his age the man appeared seasoned, his features worn. I wonder if he's as friendly as Mikjailo Nico thought, then watched him as he headed towards a woman with platinum blonde hair.

Nicomedos Smithgrip
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next