Open Blistering Calm

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Blistering Calm

Postby Cleon on May 29th, 2022, 10:01 pm

88th of Spring, 522 AV

It was an unusual sight on the beach. A small rumpled leaf that looked like it belonged back in Sylira than just randomly out on the sand. Cleon picked it up and curiously held it up the the light, admiring its vibrant orangish red color for a moment until he realized it had a notch on the bottom like the other charms on his bracelet. He put it against the silvery band on his wrist and sure enough the charm snapped on easily were it would remain even if he tried to remove it now he knew well from past experience. Although he had been uncomfortable with the idea of magic items near the start of the season, they were slowly starting to grow on him, perhaps because of how blase everyone seemed to feel about it here. That, and the fact that he felt the divine themselves were putting these items in his path to help him along his journey. Though what that journey was he himself was still trying to figure out. He thought it was to build a life here for him and Faye, but more so lately he was starting to feel like he had a roll to play in figuring out who was behind cursing Syka. It was like Ialari had said. All of them were apart of a great magical web, plucking the strings so that each individual was at the right place at the right time. Cleon just hoped whoever was pulling the strings was on his side.

Speaking of, Tori. She was still on his mind after the other night. He had tried to get to the bottom of her gift, but he hadn’t made the best impression so he didn’t end up finding anything about why Kyle disliked her so much. That, and the fact that his charm ran out left him feeling a little confused about were he should go with the investigation. He couldn’t help but to feel now though that Kyle was a little afraid of her, and he wanted desperately to know why. However he wasn’t about to approach the girl alone. No, he couldn’t do that. Instead he was waiting to meet James just outside of the community pool while the rest of the girls splashed and played in the water. Faye would have been here but she was feeling self conscious about her age. She looked like she was in her seventies now, and had a hard time getting around so he left her napping at the Inn. He’d stayed with her as long as he could that morning, but this business was pressing on his mind all the while. They had to come to some sort of solution if they were to see the other side of these curses.

Just then James walked up with a slightly uneasy smile, and looked from Cleon to the pool where the children were playing in the water with Duncan supervising. “Buraga told me what you think about Kyle. Have you discovered anything else about the boy?” James asked after a tick, and Cleon shook his head.

“Not directly, no. I’ve had some time to think about it though, and I do think he’s afraid of Tori for a good reason. He didn’t like Luke because he’s the son of Laviku and has been sent to keep an eye on things. Why he doesn’t like Tori is because of some gift she has. He says it doesn’t work, that Tori is lying but I’m starting to think that he’s the one lying about how worried he is about Tori.” Cleon said, reasoning aloud, putting together his ideas that he had been working on over the past several days. It was all coming together so fast. He hadn’t known what to do with the information the night he’d read Kyle’s mind again, but now he had a pretty firm idea of were to start. An this time he thought to bring James along because of all the founders, he was the one these children might trust the most. That Tori might trust the most.

“So what’s your idea?” James asked.

“Well, I’d like to ask Tori again if she would tell me more about her gift. I’ll try to explain to her this time that its really important that I know, and then I would like to ask her why Kyle is afraid of her.” Cleon said, sounding less sure about the second half of that sentence. He didn’t want to scare the poor girl, but he had to get Tori thinking along those lines so he might glean from her mind what she decided not to say with her mouth. Cleon just couldn’t shake the feeling that Tori had a role to play in all of this, an important one, perhaps more important than anyone had yet realized. He wouldn’t know for sure unless he asked though.

“Okay, and you want me to go with you just in case Kyle does something?” James asked.

“That, and I’d like Tori to be as comfortable as possible. It will be easier to read her mind that way.” Cleon said, tucking his hands in his pockets to avoid the worst of the shakes. He hadn’t had anything to drink since last night so his arms were thoroughly into misbehaving themselves.

James nodded slightly. “Alright, I’ll supervise.” He said, and followed as Cleon walked up the cobblestone pathway to the edge of the pool. Scanning the group, he soon found Tori playing with Darcy under the mini waterfall, splashing each other through the water that rained down in between them. Smiling genuinely, Cleon edged over to their side of the pool before slipping into the side while holding onto the side. While he had come to practice swimming quite a few times here already, he wasn’t keen on the ruckus he would cause trying to tread water over to them through the water, so the least he had to move the better. Besides holding onto the side of the pool was a lot like holding onto the side of a surfboard and there was the added benefit that he didn’t feel like he was being particularly intrusive on the girls by keeping his distance.

Cleon cleared his throat. “Hey Darcy, and Tori, can you come over here for a moment. I want to ask you something.” He asked, putting on a smile as he did so. Not for the first time, he wondered why it had to be children he was questioning, and wondered maybe if he was barking up the wrong palm tree. Cleon pushed past that doubt though as the girls swam closer, giving him funny looks although Darcy seemed to get a little curious when she noticed his mark from Laviku.

“Are you a Svefra?” Darcy asked as she splashed over.

Cleon looked at the girl and his heart ached a bit when he remembered the vile things Kyle had said about her.

“No, I’m afraid not. Laviku has a different plan for people like you and me I think. He needs followers that can be his eyes away from the sea as well as upon it.” Cleon said trying to comfort her. He wasn’t sure if it would mean anything to her, but knowing it ran contrary to the shite Kyle was spewing in her ear was enough to satisfy him that he was saying the right sort of thing. He then looked at Tori and noticed for the first time her gills, along with the webbing that splayed between her fingers. She seemed to swim almost effortlessly in the water, as graceful as Luke and that pretty language he had heard about.

“Hello Tori. Have you thought anymore about what I said? I promise I won’t tell anyone else about your gift. I just need to know why Kyle is so afraid of you and why he wants me to believe your gift isn’t real.” Cleon asked, reaching out to read her mind as he did.

WC - 1,339
Last edited by Cleon on May 30th, 2022, 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Blistering Calm

Postby Cleon on May 29th, 2022, 11:28 pm

“Sure, you mean my mark of Avalis?” Tori asked cocking her head slightly as she looked from James to Cleon, then turned her neck slightly to reveal a stylized tattoo of a lily on her skin. At least he thought it was a tattoo but he could have sworn he saw it shimmer as it caught the light.

“Yes” Cleon said after clearing his throat, briefly at a lost for words as he hadn’t quite expected the girl to have a gnosis. At least, that’s what he assumed it was.

“Its known as Divination. My mother called it my gift, she said I will really help Syka one day with it.” Tori said, and after looking around momentarily, continued. “I can use it to look into Kyle’s chavi. Is that what you want.”

Cleon cocked his head, slightly confused by the statement. Perhaps noticing this, Tori elaborated before he had a chance to answer.

“You know about the divine right? Well between our world, the mortal realm and the divine realm otherwise known as the Ukalas is the Chavena. It is a form of energy that encircles the Ukalas and is created by all life. It helps to think of the Chavena like the root system of many trees, each tree an individual tendril known as Chavi. In each of these chavi is the life path of an individual, their past, their present, and their future all reaching out from them in the mortal realm to bind them lightly to the Ukalas. My gnosis allows me to read this chavi and sometimes gain certain insight into their lives through it though its far from a sure thing. There is so much information in every individual chavi, not only about them but their interactions with the chavi of nearby individuals.” Tori said, slowing down as it looked like he was becoming very confused. “My gnosis is only the first mark of Avalis so I can only peer into a persons past for a few moments. I can use it on Kyle if you want, but I can’t promise we will find the answers you are looking for.” Tori clarified with a shrug.

Cleon nodded slowly, and felt a slight tingle of apprehension. “Okay, go ahead. Do we need to swim over to him, or can you do it here?”

“I can do it here, just wait. It won’t take me very long.” Tori said closing her eyes. When she opened them a few ticks later, he had a sinking feeling he already knew what her answer was. Tori turned towards him slightly, a hesitant look on her face.

“I’m sorry, I really didn’t see anything. It was.. Just a clash of a lot of different things and really made no sense. I’m sorry.” Tori said, and Cleon forced a smile.

“That’s alright Tori. You tried, and I don’t doubt that with such a gift that you will be very important to Syka in the future. I have to go right now, but I’d like to talk to you more about the.. Chavena and Ukalas sometime if you don’t mind.” Cleon said, and turned around to pull himself up out of the pool. As the girls swam off, he faced James and chewed on what had been discussed for a few moments. He didn’t know what he was going to do next. There was the impulse to just go and confront Kyle outright about it, but then he remembered Randal’s cautious words to him a few days ago. There really didn’t seem like there was anything he could do, unless..

“I’ve got an idea.”

WC - 602
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Blistering Calm

Postby Shiress on May 30th, 2022, 6:10 pm

"Cleon thinks what!?" Shiress all but yelled, her confused look turning decidedly vexed as she took her son from Faye.

Ian had gone with Lexi to the pool while she stayed behind to gather what medical supplies she would need to give each of the kids a physical when they returned from the pool. Faye showing up with Randall, with Ian in tow had, at first, concerned Shiress, thinking her son had been hurt, but if what the man was saying was true...

"He thinks one of the kids is causing the curses," Randall repeated.

Shiress scowled, "A child?" she shook her head, "has he lost his mind? How can a child do something like that?"

Randall shrugged an impressively muscular shoulder, "He didn't tell me everything, Shiress," he replied, his voice adopting an irritated tone on behalf of Cleon no doubt, "He just told me to bring Ian back to you, that your son didn't need to be with the other kids at the pool today. Ian didn't much take to me trying to hold him, so I asked Faye to join me."

"Did he, now?" Shiress snapped, then turned her ire to Faye, "your brother didn't think to tell me? Seeing as I'm their guardian, the one overseeing the safety and well-being of every one of those kids?"

Shiress shook her head angrily, turning away from the young girl and tall man to sit Ian down on a chair. Grabbing a towel, she handed it to the toddler to dry off.

"I need to speak with Cleon," she said, turning back to face Faye and Randall, "he's at the pool?"

Randall nodded, and Shiress went to grab up Ian, but the man stepped forward, hand out to stop her. "Ian should stay here," he said hesitantly.

Shiress frowned, looking between Randall and Faye, then huffed, annoyed, and turned for the pavilion's exit but paused. She returned to her medical bag, threw several vials of herbs and a water skin into it, swept it from the table, and left the pavilion.

She'd just have to do the kid's check-ups at the pool.

Shiress arrived at the pool in a dust cloud of anger, eyes sweeping the area. Spotting Cleon standing with James immediately, she made a beeline to the man and stepped unashamedly right in between the two men, face to face with Cleon.

"Have you gone mad?!" Shiress demanded, her voice lowered to an indignant whisper so as not to alarm the kids nearby in the pool, eyes narrowing to slits, "how could a child of all things be responsible for cursing Syka? Are you insane?"

Shiress shook her head as if the very idea was ludicrous, "I was waiting on them to return to the pavilion to give them their physicals. You couldn't have told me? I am their rightful guardian, after all." she scowled, "What were you even thinking!"
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Blistering Calm

Postby Moritz Craven on May 30th, 2022, 8:34 pm

Moritz could not swim. Which, he had to admit, was a bit funny seeing as he grew up on the coast just off the ocean. Of course being in Lhavit it was more like he grew up on a mountain right next to an ocean, but never while he was there had an occasion come up for him to learn to swim. Perhaps it was because he was still young, or had been busy quite a bit and always training or going to lessons or this or that... In the end he came to Syka by boat and was now living on a new coast, but still did not really properly know how to swim.

Working a bit before he had overheard someone saying that a group would be coming around now to go swim, and so it seemed to the Kelvic as good a time as any to go swimming. After all if he went under there would be others about to pull him out, right?

He did not think he would need much and so he did not bring his bag or anything much really, just his single suit he wore most of the time - a button up silk number that was somewhat magical - and a pair of sandals in case he had to walk somewhere harsh on the way there. Besides that the Kelvic was more or less unburdened as he followed the simple directions to the place. Off the path leading from his house to the commons, but just before you reached their or the main shop off the commons.

And so with that in mind he headed along, making the short jaunt to the pool. He moved with haste, a bit excited to stretch his legs and perhaps get a chance to figure out swimming, either from trying or watching others and trying, although as he headed there he could not help but wonder if anyone would mind him swimming in his Okomo form. He loved both his forms equally, but of late had felt a bit stifled in not being able to express one half of his form.

Coming up on the pool he saw quite a few people both in the water and out of it. He also noticed there were a bunch of kids there, though he had to remind himself he was technically younger than all of them.... By age at least. Mentally he liked to think he was a bit older than at least some of them.

As he got even closer though carried by his feet he noticed several of the adults there clustered together. He also saw Shiress who he had met before, with a face that made it all too clear she was not in a good mood. Across from her was... Uh... A guy.... Some guy he had sparred with, and another guy from the settlement... But whose name he could not recall... He really had an issue with names. Although he recalled Shiress' for some reason. What was that guys name at the dovecote? Paul? Hmmm... Clearly though Shiress had no interest in swimming and was there for another thing entirely.

Walking over to see what was going on before he entered the water Moritz waved, letting another lie roll from his mouth in an attempt to diffuse the situation.

"Hello, I see everyone is ready for a day of swimming. I once swum all the way out to an island near my home, isle lonton, so a small pool should be easy enough. You just sort of wave your arms about, that's my technique and its quite speedy in the water. Though it must have made it here as I see several using it."

WC: 620
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Blistering Calm

Postby Faye on May 30th, 2022, 9:34 pm

Faye felt about as lost about it as Shiress did. She didn’t quite understand how one of the children could be responsible for what was going on but Randal, James and Cleon had seemed pretty serious about it so she went along with their plan. An honestly, she wasn’t even that mad that she was being kept out of the thick of it though she did wonder why they couldn’t bring more of the children away from the pool. She understood vaguely that they didn’t want to spook him, but they could have at least brought the girls over. It left her worried sick about what was going to happen to all of them if Cleon’s suspicions were correct. Still she had a part to play and she was going to play it.

Taking Ian from Lexi was easy compared to confronting Shiress however. She felt like the woman was practically yelling at her although she knew that the woman’s ire was instead addressed at her brother. Because of her condition she looked to be around twenty one years of age today, and she wasn’t entirely sure if the woman knew about her well enough to remember her actual age. Come to think of it, she wasn’t sure if she had seen Shiress before this, certainly couldn’t remember if they had ran into eachother after the first tenday. So Faye stayed meekly quiet as Randal did most of the speaking for them. Giving Ian’s hand a gentle squeeze she felt bad for the toddler because this must be all so confusing for him. He had been looking forward to a day splashing around at the pool and here she was dragging him away to do something different. She couldn’t just explain to him that it was to keep him safe. There was no need to frighten the boy after all.

As Shiress stormed off, Faye gave Randal a crooked smile as she bent down to pick up Ian under the arms and haul him up so he was balanced on her hip. That was one advantage of her curse she supposed which made it much more easy to keep after the toddler than it was normally. She was just lucky that today was one of the days she wasn’t to old to get around. Looking at Randal she cleared her throat before talking.

“I think we will be find by ourself at the swings. You should probably go check on them, if only to make sure Shiress doesn’t rip my brother’s head off. She.. Looks like she’s on a warpath.” Faye said nervously and Randal nodded, snorting slightly as he scratched the side of his scraggly face. Faye suppressed a grin when one of his ears twitched independently of the other and kept her eyes slightly lowered out of respect.

“Alright. Just stay here okay. Someone will come get you when this business is through.” Randal grunted before walking off to follow where Shiress had ran off to. Meanwhile Faye turned about to walk Ian over to the beach where she sat him on one of the swings and gently started pushing him while doing her best not to fret over what they were all doing. She just had to hope that they all had this well in hand. If not, then well, she’d cross that plank when it came to it.

WC - 562
Faye
Player

Words: 82075
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2022, 3:47 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Blistering Calm

Postby Cleon on May 30th, 2022, 9:35 pm

“I have and idea” Is what Cleon had been saying when Shiress appeared like a storm breaking over a clear blue sky. He almost shied away from the sheer vitriol from the woman’s mouth as he stared at her wide eyed. Almost, but didn’t because Cleon was not the same boy that ran into Shiress earlier in the season. He had grown nearly a foot taller, and managed to fill out somewhat thanks to the plentiful meals he received at the inn. More than that, he had been through quite a bit since last they met. He had obtained items he never knew existed before, faced the worst of his curse and come out the other side mostly whole. It irked him slightly to have his judgment so soundly questioned by a woman that had avoided him like the plague since their last rendezvous. He still had questions about her own role in all of this and was tempted to use his charm to peak into her mind just then, but he resisted the urge for the moment.

“Quite the opposite actually. I have never been more sure of something in my life.” Cleon said. That was a lie, but something about the way Shiress attacked his position made him double down on his suspicions. It could be just because of her allusion about being somewhat responsible for these curses, or it could be he just didn’t like being spoken to in such a way in front of so many people. His cheeks reddened as he took in a deep breath through his nose in order to steady himself so he could say what he was going to next as calmly as possible.

“Now if you will listen for a moment I will explain my reasoning.” Cleon said, stepping towards Shiress so he could face away from the pool when he was speaking with her. He paused for a moment though as a familiar face swam up, and he stepped aside to let him in on the impromptu gathering. He was briefly caught off guard by the words that just came tumbling out of his mouth before he remembered his particular malady and gave a half hearted shrug. “Come on in, saves me the effort of explaining this again.” Cleon said, but as the words left his mouth he was fairly certain this would not be the last time, but hopefully they would figure it out today.

“So as I was about to tell Shiress, I’m pretty sure Kyle is the one behind all of the curses. I’ve got this charm that allows me to read surface thoughts for around five chimes give or take and I have been using it to try and find out who is behind all of this. The first person I used it on was Kyle who seemed the most innocent one of the lot at first. He of course had plenty of stuff to say about the other orphans. He knew all about their secrets and I believed him, thinking that it had to be one of the other children that were behind all of this. I didn’t know how, but I had to figure that one of their secrets would tell me so I started reading their minds, inviting them to little events were I thought their guard might be down. Randal helped with that as I’m sure he can tell you later if you want.” Cleon said, gesturing to the man who was just walking up on the gathering.

“One by one I found out their secrets only to discover they were really insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Sure they were significant to the children but only for very personal reasons, nothing that impacted any one of us. So I started thinking about why Kyle knew all of this in the first place, and what he got out of telling me that so freely. I didn’t put it together at first until I picked up a book on religion from Matthias and a learned a bit more about Rhysol. About how he thrives on chaos and betrayal. I grew suspicious of Kyle and I decided to test him again. This time I.. Well I don’t know quite how to explain it but I know he is not a child. He doesn’t think like one, and I’m pretty sure he is just pretending to be younger so everyone overlooks him. An if he is as dangerous as everyone thinks then we need to approach this with the utmost care, perhaps even grab a few more people. Petch we could grab all the adults in Syka and I still don’t think that would be enough, but he would probably catch on at that point so we should keep the group small, manageable. I’d like a few others though, have you seen Ialari, or Crylon about? They’re who I’d really like to have around right now, though I wouldn’t mind if Shade turned up either. He seems like he would know how to handle himself in a fight if it comes to that.” Cleon said and realized he had been droning on for perhaps a chime to long. He took a deep breath and looked at them both.

“So, what do you think?”

WC - 880
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Blistering Calm

Postby Antelokes on May 30th, 2022, 11:02 pm

Timestamp

There was a solid satisfaction to the way Antelokes gripped the piece of ironwork in his hand. Too many things went wrong these days. Too many things were out of his control. There was something to be said for work you could do yourself, with your own hands, curses and other problems be damned. He’d just found Randall—the piece’s commissioner. The man was easy to spot, with his telltale beastly features. The product was a wide machete blade after Syka’s style. Antelokes was just starting to imitate the craft. The blade and tang were bare, but wrapped in cloth.

Antelokes caught sight of Shiress leaving as he approached Randall. She seemed distressed, and he could feel it acutely through his Azenth mark.

Too common, he thought. That’s too common these days, for everybody.

As he came to Randall, he pressed the covered blade into the man’s hand.

“It’s done,” he said simply, voice tired.

“Oh? Oh right, yes. Thank you, Antelokes,” said the founder. The man sounded distracted.

“You will tell me if the balance is off, like last time, yes?” Antelokes asked. Randall hefted the blade absentmindedly.

“I’m sure it’s fine.”

“But you will tell me?” Antelokes pressed. “I don’t want to make another one the same way if the balance is off.”

“Yes, I’ll tell you,” Randall replied, his lips briefly twitching upward in the similitude of a smile. Antelokes frowned. Randall was distressed too. He hid it well, but his gnosis did not lie.

“There’s something wrong,” Antelokes stated. “What is it?” Randall grunted, staring hard at Antelokes with those animalesque eyes.

“There is a… situation,” he said haltingly, “brewing by the pool, from what I understand.”

“What kind of situation?” Antelokes asked, voice growing firm. Randall pawed at the earth.

“I am not there, am I? Go, if you wish to see it for yourself. I’m sure they would not mind another set of hands, as long as you do not make yourself a nuisance.” Antelokes nodded warily.

“I try not to do so,” he said. “Though I’ll see if I can be of any help.” He nodded in thanks to Randall. As he left, he gestured to the machete blade with its bare tang sticking out of the cloth where Randall gripped it.

“Make sure to tell me about the balance!” he called out as he left.

With quick winged strides—not quite a run—Antelokes made his way to the pool as he arrived, he found several familiar faces. He inclined his head in acknowledgement to Moritz, who had been a good sparring partner. Shiress was there too. He could feel her searing rage through his mark, clear and direct. He fixed his gaze warily on her, eyes darting occasionally to the other young man, who he’d seen from time to time around the settlement. He made his presence known, he was not secretive, but did not interrupt the man’s speech.

He heard the end of Cleon’s explanation about Kyle, and his request for help. Antelokes crossed his arms, clearing his throat.

“I will stand beside you if there are tasks that need done,” he said with deliberate words, gentle and firm. He spared a moment’s attention for Shiress again. It didn’t take an Azenth to see she was frustrated with Cleon.

Passion, passion is good, but it must be used with temperance, he thought.

“If there is reasonable cause to believe Kyle is the source of all this, then we should act swiftly, once action begins. If it is him… then he has great power at his disposal. Power I’d rather not give him time to use. If it is not him,” Antelokes glanced at Shiress, “then at worst he gets another bad memory, and nothing more. The fate of Syka is at stake. The price is low.”
Antelokes
Player

Words: 122253
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2021, 4:55 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Blistering Calm

Postby Alric Lysane on May 31st, 2022, 5:59 pm

He had spent the morning wandering the Sykan Commons, pondering upon things discovered and what the future might entail. He hoped the Priest was foiled and the place could return to normal, but the more he thought upon it and spent time with the people in passing, he wondered whether it ever would get back to normal again – whatever that ‘normal’ was. He had made his way to Children’s Pavillion, finding it empty when he had arrived - though Shiress had bustling around in the general area he had noticed. He haddn’t disturb her, knowing that she had had a difficult enough time as it was with her curse and other things. Instead he had approached the beds and spent some chimes looking at them, wondering whether anything could be gleaned.

“Gods, their children, Priests and their deities having their schemes…and everyone else suffers because of it. Arcadius said that one day we’d surpass the Gods…perhaps that is true. Would we be any better?” he sighed to himself, noting how his thoughts had grown darker of late despite the causes for joy he now possessed.

He knew, however, that Laviku was likely wiser than he, and so he had sighed and instead he had made his way towards the Community Pool, it was a gathering spot as good as any in the heat of day where he could muse further upon matters. As it transpired the children, and many others, were already there, a fact which only served to deepen his thoughts upon events and turn them slightly sour, their presence both a strange comparison of happy play with the more adult burdens of the settlement, but also a dark cloud that was ominous in its gathering. The season was coming to a close, and many were gathered in one spot and discussing trying to solve it…it felt like a confrontation was upon the winds, one which might leave Syka never the same again.

He hadn’t been in Syka for more than a few days and already things had been stranger than he had imagined. He had spent the journey by Wind Eagle thinking about the place, not really able to picture it in his mind’s eye, but even with the whole curse business he would never have been able to predict that he’d meet an Isur who was some fractured ‘crazy’, the talking birds would be a thing and that he’d meet yet another divine after arguing with a ghost. On some level he had been hoping that despite the messes it would be a different place to Sunberth.

Yet now, later in the day as he sat quietly to the side, having found a spot to sit from where he could watch the waters and those partaking of them, listening to the conversations and arrivals, he was starting to wonder whether Sunberth was the real problem, or whether it were simply humans in general – especially stressed and desperate humans. Though, he supposed upon reflection, that it applied to most species, if not all.

Shiress had arrived in a storm that seemed logical to him, after turning it over in his mind thoughtfully. It was true that suspicions had been cast upon Kyle, and other things perhaps had been gleaned to suggest what was being discussed that had yet to be shared…yet the fact there was no outright confirmation, and the concept of quite literally murdering a child was being discussed so glibly, however danced about it was…made him uneasy.

He knew magic could do wonderous things, but he was starting to question the sanity of people, especially the leaders, when they simply believed something because it was said. Veronica had told him James had personally vetted the children himself and he liked Cleon well enough for what small time he had known him, had even tried to help the lad, but he did wonder where the cross-examination was, the interrogation and verification…then again, perhaps Syka was too tired and battered now that it would do anything, agree to anything, if it meant a potential end to the suffering – he could sympathise with that.

He briefly wondered if that was part of the plan for the god of chaos. Even if he lost, his Priest killed, and the initial schemes halted…would it still show the deity that it was quite possible to ruin Syka and manipulate its people? Would that bring him satisfaction? Alric didn’t know, but it did sit uneasily with him.

Paranoid or not, it may be that Syka has many questions to ask itself come the end he mused to himself as he continued to sit apart, watching the pool and trying to see a path forwards.

“Shiress sees this from a position of passionate caring, I’d think, and what you are suggesting…it is a difficult thing to fathom and to take on word alone, surely that is easily seen? For my part, though I do not doubt your statements of investigation, would prefer something more concrete than that before I try to put my sword through the belly of a child…or seeming child” he said gently, almost sadly really, he had no wish to remember flashes of tortured memory of alternate lives by seeing the cold eyes of a small, lifeless form.

“It may be as you say, friend,” he nodded at Antelokes then, “but Syka has to live beyond this season, and its current troubles. What would it whisper to people, in their twilight bells, that they were convinced to assault a child, if the assumption was false, and it went terribly wrong? Sunberth is a brutal place, with no justice or due process really, but this is supposed to be a better place. Which one is this Kyle?” he asked, waiting for one of them to point the boy out so he could be sure who it was. As he waited, and mused, he decided to impart what he had learned with Ialari seeing as people were sharing information – however sparse his own might be.

“Laviku said that taking on the Priest, whoever it is, alone and possibly even in a small group, would be dangerous and perhaps even fatal. It isn’t a case of if the Priest notices, but when, so it might be a good idea to get any innocents gone, at least. Any who stay should be willing to fight, I’d imagine, if it came to it. And die,” he continued thoughtfully, still looking upon the pool as if their conversation were everyday and of no import, “Laviku also said that their greatest weakness is pride. Mathias suggested they may have let their guard drop, on the assumption that all of the curses have been given out and the damage done, Syka weak and desperate…perhaps the sudden suggestion this is not so somehow…may provoke a response, or could be used to goad them into a mistake”

“Ialari would be welcome, she suggested she knew of a way to contain, if given the right target…though I would not all gather in one place for long. It would pretty much scream conspiracy and be of interest to this Priest…whoever they are. Perhaps it would be wise to spread word to those who are deemed as trusted in a more dispersed fashion whilst someone tries to find our…friendly Isur?”

He pushed himself up, for his own part largely deciding to keep his offer of watching over Luke to Laviku, and ready to try to help if it meant that bonds now damaged could be fully restored. He was, however, quite aware that he wasn’t truly a Sykan, and doubted that they would see his as such. He was an outsider, a visitor to their eyes, and this was their fight. He understood if they saw it that way, but that didn’t mean that he wouldn’t be there. He was not sure why fate had dictated that he come here for this moment, certainly he felt somewhat like an outsider, but perhaps it was time to trust that he was where he needed to be.

“I will do my part, though I have no claim to being of your people. But if I can help end their suffering…then it is an easy choice to make. Communal living...seems fair then that the decions are made communally” he said, crossing his arms across his chest and looking up at the sky now, wondering if he had ever seen it as clear as it appeared in those moments.

Last edited by Alric Lysane on June 1st, 2022, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Blistering Calm

Postby Ialari Pythone on June 1st, 2022, 6:49 am

For most of the season, Ialari had avoided spending time in her Dominion. Her time in Syka was growing on her and she was feeling less of a need to return to what had become her home over the last decade. Aside from a couple trip to engage in the use of her lab, she chose to live among the living. It had been more than an experience to say the least. It wasn't just the curse but also the experiences with living people. It was difficult and confusing to say the least yet it she found that it was enlightening and in no small way...enjoyable.

She returned to her Dominion in search of clarity. Syka was chaotic, especially during the current events and she desperately needed a moment or two to find her focus.

She took a seat on the stone in the center of her reflecting pool. There was a soft breeze that tickled the grass and trees around her. The light from high above the grand cavern that encompassed her divine space was dim and the temperature was cool...all as she willed it to be.

As she sat on the stone, she forced herself to relax. Her body was slightly worn from her time in the physical world; something she was still getting used to. There was so much, mentally to process. With her eyes closed, she reached out for the peace and calm that surrounded her. She reached out for the connection with her Dominion and the with it, the Ukalas.

She imagined herself as a spider sitting in the center of its web. She envisioned the threads of that web stretching out into the unknown, waiting for something to touch it.

She spent nearly a bell engaged in meditation, her mind empty of anything other than the threads of connection. Just as she was about to let go and return to the physical world; her mind and body somewhat rejuvinated, she felt a tremor.

Reaching out for the thread that shook, she felt a familiar connection...Cleon.

Focusing on that connection, she gripped the thread and pushed her thoughts forward.

"He...he knows." She didn't see any detail nor could she gain any understanding from what she felt other than the simple inclination that Cleon...the man she'd had a rather close relationship with...knew something significant.

With that feeling in mind, she woke from her meditation. Standing, she waded through the surrounding water and stepped onto the grassy ground. Raising her hands, she traced the outline of a door and proceeded to link and connect the lines of djed that would form a gateway to from her Dominion to the physical world...in Syka.

When the door appeared, she stepped through. She exited from a wall of the Bungalows, a place she'd used before as a stepping point between worlds. Reaching out for the connection, she was able to find a general direction before the magic faded and vanished; its capacity of function in the physical world far more limited.

She made her way in the direction of the connection to eventually find a number of people gathered near the beach where the children were frolicking. She saw people she recognized and others she didn't. She did however see Cleon.

Straightening herself, she approached. Bowing her head to the others nearby, she made her way close to the Cleon. She smiled rather shyly and leaned in to whisper in his ear while gazing out upon the playing children.

"You know...you know who did this. I can't explain now how I know this but I can help. It will take a small amount of planning with no small amount of risk. Don't do anything now. This thing is beyond us at this moment. I have an idea...I can create a trap of sorts. Whoever this is...I can hold him, at least long enough for others to intervene. All I need from you...is a little faith." She didn't know Cleon well but she knew he was strong and held great conviction. He was confident, that much she could feel. He was also patient. Strangely, even though he was human, he held all the qualities that she, an isur, held dear. Ever since learning that what they were dealing with was a Priest of Rhysol, the God of Chaos, she'd been searching for a way to stop it. The only way she could think of was to use her magic to contain him in hopes that others could stop him. It would take a little planning but so much more in the way of action.

After whispering to him, she licked his ear and stepped back to observe the children playing.

Words: 779
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Words: 923994
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Blistering Calm

Postby Shiress on June 2nd, 2022, 3:52 pm

Shiress tried recalling her interactions with Kyle over the time since she had returned to Syka and taken over the care of the children and realized she and Kyle hadn't even had much of a conversation, let alone spent time together. Shiress also realized that she was in no place to question Cleon's suspicions. It still vexed the doctor that he hadn't at least told her himself, but as the man's story unfolded, Shiress grew less angry and more concerned.

Several familiar faces joined them as Cleon spoke; Moritz, Antelokes, Alric. Shiress gave each a small smile of acknowledgment upon their arrival and even spared one for the female, whom Shiress had not seen before, but deduced she must be the one Cleon had mentioned. Ialari. The woman was beautiful, stunning even, but was, by appearance, decidedly not human.

Judging by how Ialari leaned close to Cleon to whisper into his ear, the woman and Cleon had a past. If the subtle flick of her tongue across the young man's ear was anything to go by, that past was an interesting one. Shiress wanted to introduce herself to Ialari but found herself somewhat hesitant. There was more to this woman than just her physical appearance, and Shiress couldn't quite put her finger on what that something was and turned her attention to the rest of the group, though her curious gaze kept straying back to Ialari.

Shiress wasn't necessarily surprised by everyone's willingness to help. No, she was more surprised at their complete trust in what Cleon was saying; each person around her believed what the young man was saying, and each readily offered their help in taking down this child who, apparently, wasn't a child at all.

Shiress glanced down as she thought of how she may be able to help. Her gaze went to the silver charm bracelet around her wrist, snagging on the shackle charm. She felt the slight weight of her backpack pulling at her shoulders and remembered the different herbs and elixirs she had inadvertently stowed within its depths.

"I could drug him," Shiress offered quietly, face lifting as her gaze flitted from one face to another before landing on Cleon, "curare and reserpine, it would make the boy more pliable, drowsy, and less combative perhaps," she explained, "I have an idea of how to go about it that wouldn't raise his suspicions."

Shiress paused, then turned her back toward the pool and lifted her hand slightly to indicate her bracelet and the shackle and spiderweb charm lying side by side against the inside of her wrist, "I also have a charm that would shackle him or one that would catch him in a web of sorts."
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next